Ok, kids. Here’s the deal with Mature RP’s!
The Mature RP section is for games that fall under any of the following categories:
Excessive violence and gore
Sexual, sensual, or otherwise too “physical” for a normal rp
Approval from the gm needed for whatever reason
Anything the gm feels deserves a rating over PG13 (see rating system below)
Mature rp’s provide a lot of really great options for people who have evolved in their writing abilities or want more than what a normal game is allowed to have. But! Like all parts of the forum, there are a few rules that must be followed when creating or playing in one. Let’s see, shall we?
1. All mature rp’s must be RATED!!! This is sooooo important. The rating must be placed in the title of the rp so that everyone can tell what they’re getting into before joining/reading your game. Also, please put a reason for the rating in the FIRST POST OF THE OOC! That way, if someone is morally okay with characters swearing and blowing each other’s heads off during a game, but uncomfortable with reading about characters getting it on, they are fairly warned and can use the rating and description to decide if the rp is right for them.
The rating system is similar to how movies are rated in the US:
G – General audiences. Take this as suitable for kids to read.
PG – Parental guidance suggested. Brief language ok, hints at little sensual activity, maybe a bit of violence.
Note: If you rp is rated G or PG, you don't need to label it.
PG-13 – Parental guidance suggested for kids younger than 13. There can be mild language, violence, and sexuality. Depictions of graphic violence and acts of a sexual nature are prohibited, however references or "fade to black" scenes are okay. If you plan on having this sort of content in your roleplay, you must put the rating in the title, however you can still post these rp's anywhere on the forum.
The following rp's are only allowed in the private and mature sections:
R/M – Restricted or Mature. Now we’re getting into the dirty stuff! Sex, drugs, and rock ‘n roll allowed in here. Excessive violence. Excessive swearing. Excessive drug use. Frequent sexual interactions. Whatever your mind can come up with (within forum rules).
Keep in mind, these are not set in stone, and someone’s PG 13 is someone else’s R. So try to rate your games as properly as you, the gm, feel fit. And then put the explanation in the ooc! Please put your rating in brackets in the title, so that everyone can easily find them!
Here is an example of how to rate your game…
Title: [R] This is my game title here!
First post in ooc: This game is rated [R] because of potential violence, sex and drug use.
2. Stick to the rating. Seriously. Don’t go back and change your PG13 game to an M just because you’ve decided to add a couple of scenes. It’s not fair to other members who might not be okay with the content you are adding.
On the same note, if you join a PG13 game, don’t post M content. Duh. Join the game you want to play in. The gm can and will enforce their rating.
3. Sexual tension/situations are fine in mature rp’s. But sexy business has its own set of rules.
4. Gm’s can require approval for their games. This is a big deal in this section, more so than other sections. Ask for approval by pm or in the ooc thread BEFORE posting in the ic. Do not post in the ic and plan on deleting it if you’re not approved! Seriously! The gm of a mature game has every right to accept or not accept your character into his/her game. You do nothing before that. Period.
5. While the gm’s have more power, that means more responsibility. (Spiderman?) Anyway, as a gm, you must enforce ratings, keep up on approvals (don’t leave members wondering if they’re allowed in!), advance the plot, etc.
6. Follow the forum rules too. Racist, insulting, etc language is still not allowed. Don’t godmod, etc etc etc. We know these rules by now, right?
This rule is to include anything else that might possibly be deemed unfit for a public forum as viewed in the staffs opinion. If you are uncertain as to what is and is not acceptable please contact an administrator or an rp mod for further clarification.
8. Don’t forget, if the staff feels that an rp that was previously posted in a general section contains too much mature content, we reserve the right to move it to the mature section. Better than getting it shut down for not following the rules though, right? And don’t worry. We’ll leave a note saying that we moved it, so your game’s members won’t get lost.
So there you have it. Not so bad, right? After all, it’s called the “Mature” section, so I think we can all agree to be mature and handle things well. The Mature rp’s can offer a lot of freedom for some really great games and some fantastic plots, as I’m sure most people have already discovered. And don’t forget to ask your gm or any of the mods/admins if you have any questions in a game!