Thread: Artificial gravity

`、、ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ`、ヽ
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)

Default Artificial gravity

In space, you get the feeling of gravity by being inside a spinning centrifuge or under continual thrust.

A cylindrical spinning space station with a biosphere in the middle and people living and working in floors "under" the ground would be one idea.

As an alternative to that would be some sort of grav plate that provides artificial gravity, either powered by the ship's generators or is constantly "on" somehow.

Of course, if you can create gravity, you might be able to repel it as well, to create flying cars and shuttles that don't need huge wings to generate lift. Ideal for flying saucers and the like.

What's your opinion?
    Spoiler: ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ √Ăłł Єѵïł ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ 

`、、ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ`、ヽ
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)

What do people think of the Artificial gravity plates suggested in the Ship Technology part of Skipper's Sanctuary? Adoptable?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Again, I dunno how far my SUPER HARDCORE voice carries... BUT! I think that artificial gravity is one of those things that *just is* at the space station/home places. This is simply because long complicated reasoning behind forming a type of artificial gravity is so complicated/convoluted that doing it without it actually being for the real life application is kind of more effort than it's worth.

(x.X)

Know what I mean?

My Son; My Sun.
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)

I like Skippers' AG system.

On indefinite hiatus. I remain purple only for technical support, please direct queries to Scottie or another staffer. Thank you RPA for being my second home for so many years, and every member who makes this the wonderful place it is.

Click here daily to vote for RPA!

Member of the Month
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Sci-fi, fantasy, post-apocalyptic
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Skipper referred to the applications of AG and a brief explanation as to how it works, but if you're looking for a proper pseudo-scientific explanation, you won't find it there. The idea of a huge bio-dome or whatnot seems to work because it refers to laws of force which already exist in even the most basic understanding of the world and how it works.

It's a little like Schizo. I thought he'd be able to harm and disobey humans the same way robots tend to do in today's sci-fi games and movies, just because that's what I had in mind for him and didn't consider it as a relevant detail. However, enforcing the robot laws on him helped round him of as a character and helps show his way of thinking and how he works around the laws.

So it really depends if you want to say that AG exists just because, or if you want an explanation as to how this phenomena works and how that can be taken into consideration.
    Spoiler: More from Tate 

`、、ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ`、ヽ
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
    Again, I dunno how far my SUPER HARDCORE voice carries... BUT! I think that artificial gravity is one of those things that *just is* at the space station/home places. This is simply because long complicated reasoning behind forming a type of artificial gravity is so complicated/convoluted that doing it without it actually being for the real life application is kind of more effort than it's worth.

(x.X)

Know what I mean?
    One of the benefits of a Space Opera style campaign is we don't have to be super-hard core. Scientists aren't sure if gravity can be a wave or a particle, nobody knows for sure. Oddly enough, light can be a wave or a particle too - and we can create artificial light just fine.

Going weightless for long term has damaging effects on the human body, especially for bone density.

Large structures like space stations will probably be cylindrical so they can rotate to create centrifugal force on the inner surface - it's more economical. The closer to the central axis you are, the less force you'll feel, with the central core actually at null-g, so we can build in docking area at one end. Shuttles can enter along the central axis into a docking area, and are then lowered into docking cradles where there's just enough centrifugal force/gravity to be effective without interfering too much with the shuttles leaving. And there will remain some null-g areas.

Quote Originally Posted by G View Post
    I like Skippers' AG system.
    It's a great solution for smaller ships. I like the combination of pulling plates on the deck and pusher plates on the ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_potato57 View Post
    Skipper referred to the applications of AG and a brief explanation as to how it works, but if you're looking for a proper pseudo-scientific explanation, you won't find it there. The idea of a huge bio-dome or whatnot seems to work because it refers to laws of force which already exist in even the most basic understanding of the world and how it works.

It's a little like Schizo. I thought he'd be able to harm and disobey humans the same way robots tend to do in today's sci-fi games and movies, just because that's what I had in mind for him and didn't consider it as a relevant detail. However, enforcing the robot laws on him helped round him of as a character and helps show his way of thinking and how he works around the laws.

So it really depends if you want to say that AG exists just because, or if you want an explanation as to how this phenomena works and how that can be taken into consideration.
    Exactly. We can afford to be more open-minded, but I like consistency. Ships must either rotate in some fashion, accelerating under constant thrust or have Skipper's AG plates to produce gravity-like effects.
    Last edited by Enigma; 06-12-2012 at 06:25 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I originally thought to have the ships spin, to produce gravity though the centrifugal effect. In the end however, I thought it would make it hard to for docked ships to remain with the AG.

`、、ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ`、ヽ
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)

If the crew compartment is the only thing being spun, then that can be shut down just prior to docking once everyone is strapped in. Alternately, there could be a docking section that doesn't spin. We'll have to figure this out.