Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: {{OOC}} The Spirits Have Chosen

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default {{OOC}} The Spirits Have Chosen

Plot

Spirit Hosts

Animal spirits have come to this world from beyond for many generations. They come bearing knowledge of the future, as well as the power to help keep balance and protect against dark creatures that seek to take away from the natural world, as well as the greed of the peoples that live within the natural world. They take hosts of all kinds of origins, some born to crime, some born to royalty. Some hosts are descendents of previous hosts, some completely unrelated to past hosts. Not all hosts take on the task that is thrust upon them, but the ones that do always seem to find each other. Whether it is from instinct or guidance, it is unknown. The quest is always clear but the means seeming to be shrouded in mist to outsiders.

Abyssals

The 'Natural World'. The promise land, the land of origin, the final destination. Conquest of that world has always been sought by the Abyssals, as the Abyss is hardly paradise, it's not even homely. It is a world of punishment, the place 'mistakes' of the humans were sent, where they suffered. They wanted freedom, to shake loose the chains that bound them like a noose. Chains they didn't deserve. The dark magics that formed the world that they were trapped within had seeped into their very bones, changing them into creature that appeared to have come straight out of a nightmare. It made it impossible to travel to the Natural World and not be hunted, as even the spirits saw them for their appearance, and not as what they truly were. Eventually this created a deep-rooted hate for both the spirits and their hosts.

As a side-note, the humans are in a victorian-ish era.

Spirit Host Races

These are only standards, your character can stray from the normal of their race, up to a point.

Humans
    Humans tend to have talent in all kinds of areas. Magic, engineering, physical strengths, literature. However, these are not the reasons that they are chosen as Spirit Hosts. Humans have a lot of untapped potential that the spirits can help bring out, to allow their host to build upon the foundation they lay.

Elves
    Elves are quite nimble and have great magical talent, especially when it comes to healing magics, as well as very beautiful craftsmanship as they usually develop a habit of carving stray pieces of wood, or animal bones. Shaping these things into works of art that are sought by collectors and commoners alike far and wide. However, these little pieces of art are rarely harmless, as the Elf works with the material, their magic will seep into it, enchanting it. They are often used as wards, or alarms. It is uncommon, however, that an Elf is able to choose what sort of enchantment is placed upon the carving. Elves live within woodlands of any kind, and a few clans have even taken to living in the tundras, following wolves for guidance.

Elves have pointed ears, brightly coloured eyes, and are usually quite tall. Most have long hair, as cutting one's hair is frowned upon within the Elven communities, however city-born elves usually have shorter hair.

Fae
    Fae are small, fast, and like the Elves, have great magical talents, however their magic talents lie within the elements. These, coupled with their ability to fly and devious personality makes for some nasty tricksters. They have a lack of responsibly as well as wanderlust, and usually don't stay in one place for too long. However, they are rarely ever mean or cruel, having light hearts and just wanting to have a little fun. They usually live in groups of family or friends, finding one travelling alone is rather strange, indeed. Due to their love of flight they are required to keep their frame slender and as light as possible, without being malnourished, as a malnourished Fae is a grounded Fae. It takes a rather ambitious spirit to take on a Fae, as they are very hard to sway from their own way of life.

Fae are a bit smaller than the average human, and usually quite slender. They have pointed ears that curve down at the ends. Their hair and eyes are usually brightly, sometimes obnoxiously so, coloured. They have bug-like wings protruding from their backs, and usually wear open-back tops to keep their wings from being restrained.

Orcs
    Orcs are strong as oxen, as well as highly intelligent. Their intelligence is often overlooked due to their rudeness and crude ways of doing things. They spend a lot of time fighting, brawling with each other for sheer sport. They specialize in concocting poisons, as well as creating weapons that are not necessarily visually appealing, but incredibly effective. Orcs tend to reside in swamps and wastelands, making the best of the lands others seem to forsake.

Orcs have dark skin, ranging from dark green, to dark purple, to black. They're large in both height and size, often intimidating the bravest of men with little more than a stern stare. They have teeth of carnivores, as they require meat for survival and get the majority of what they need from meat. Black claws sit at the ends of their fingers, and their red eyes are as sharp as an eagle's. Their heads are usually shaven to some degree or another.

Ta'kath
    The Ta'kath are cat-like people that live in the mountains, being quick and agile as well as incredibly strong. They have a violent streak when it comes to dealing with other races, and will rarely leave their settlements for anything but hunting, and will never let strangers inside their encampments. Not even a Ta'kath of an other tribe would be allowed entrance. Very little is known about them by the outside world as they are more stubborn than mules. Not even a Spirit Host who leaves their village to take on the forces that would destroy their world will reveal anything about their home.

Ta'kath have long, thick furry tails of mountain cats, and their ears are pointed with light fur. Like the Orcs, Ta'kath are carnivorous and as such have the appropriate fangs and claws. Unlike Orcs, however, their claws come from between their fingers and are long, slender as well as retractable, and despite how thin their claws are, they are incredibly hard to break. They have brown hair, and their eyes take on natural colours. Their hair is usually long, however a village will cut their hair in the event that someone passes on.

Abyssal Classifications

Demon
    Demons specialize in magic, channelling the dark energies that their bodies have absorbed from the Abyss.

Hunter
    Hunters are fast and deadly, they are seldom seen as they are able to manipulate the flow of energies within themselves to make themselves almost invisible to most eyes, and can walk in almost complete silence.

Devourer
    Devourers are incredibly strong, and hard to down, but they are also much less intelligent than most other Abyssals.

Imps
    Much like Fae, imps are tricksters interested in nothing more than a good laugh. However, unlike the Fae, they get their kicks in sinister ways, creating a bloody trail that one would be wise not to follow.

Rules & Guidelines

No god-moding, power-playing.
    This one is a given, but I always feel the need to include it.

No character limit.
    Yep, have as many pretties as you would like, just make sure you can manage all of them. In fact, I encourage you to have more than one character. I don't intend to have every character survive, so it's best to be prepared.

Ask before killing.
    If you wish to kill a character, send a private message to the character's owner and ask for permission to do so. If they have posted somewhere in this thread that they are okay with their characters dying, you should still check with them about it.

Try and keep character balance.
    I'd like the number of Spirit Hosts to be similar to the number of Abyssals, they don't have to be equal, just close enough that one side isn't too over-powered.

Literacy, past-tense, and third person
    I expect in character posts to be in paragraph form with proper grammar, as few typos and possible, and well thought out. As few one liners as possible, if I feel that too many one liner posts are being made by and particular person, I will talk to them about it via private message. Past-tense and third person writing is a requirement, you will be messaged if you fail to post in one, the other, or both.

It is my job to make sure rules are upheld.
    All though I do appreciate the gesture, I would appreciate if you didn't call people out on rule-breaking. I will not be talking openly about someone's misconduct. Unless I end up having to leave for a period of time and leave you in charge of making sure that rules are followed, please refrain from mentioning any breaks.

Do not panic if your character is rejected.
    If your character is rejected, do not remorse, it doesn't mean that that particular character can never get into the role-play. Just read over the rules again, read over your post, and see if you can find what is wrong and fix it. If you can not figure out what is wrong, message me and I will be happy to give you an explanation.

This is a fantastical world.
    Feel free to make up locations, have faerie friends, travel by unicorn, what ever. Have fun with it, but just remember to keep it at least semi-serious.

Use the skeletons provided.
    I have made the character skeletons the way they are for a reason, so any alteration of them or using a skeleton of your own creation is not allowed.

Character Skeletons

Spirits and Hosts

Name: What is your character's name? Try and keep your character's name representative of your characters race. For instance, don't name an Orc 'Lucy', or a Ta'kath 'George'. If you want help with coming up with a name, feel free to ask me, I am very good at coming up with names. (Include a first and last, unless Ta'kath, as they have no last names)
    Origin: Where is your character from?
    Race: What race is your character?
    Spirit: What animal has taken on your character, and what is its name? What is the spirit like? (Ever animal is unique, no duplicates allowed.)
    Talents and Abilities: What is your character good at? What special things can your character do?
    Element: Element is acquired from your character's spirit. If your character is a Fae, the element they specialize in and the element their animal is may differ if you wish.
    Appearance: What does your character look like? Try to include things like how tall they are, how well built they are, what colour their skin is. (You may use artwork here, but only if it is art that you own the rights to. It's nothing against people who Google for pictures, just a pet peeve of mine and I would appreciate it if you would adhere to it.)
    Personality: What is your character like? Are they the sort the punch your face in for looking at them funny? Would they spend all day prancing around trying to find the end of the rainbow? Are they shy? Obnoxious? Sweet?
    Biography: This field is important. It is where I shall be gauging your literary skill, so try to avoid being concise here. I don't want your character's whole life story, but a few important points, enough to make at least one nice paragraph. (NOTE: Your character will be introduced to their spirit in character, so do not include that here.)
    Other: Anything you care to add?

Abyssals

Name: What is your character's name?
    Classification: What race is your character?
    Talents and Abilities: What is your character good at? What special things can your character do?
    Appearance: What does your character look like? Try to include things like how tall they are, how well built they are, what colour their skin is. (You may use artwork here, but only if it is art that you own the rights to. It's nothing against people who Google for pictures, just a pet peeve of mine and I would appreciate it if you would adhere to it.)
    Personality: What is your character like? Are they the sort the punch your face in for looking at them funny? Would they spend all day prancing around trying to find the end of the rainbow? Are they shy? Obnoxious? Sweet?
    Biography: This field is important. It is where I shall be gauging your literary skill, so try to avoid being concise here. I don't want your character's whole life story, but a few important points, enough to make at least one nice paragraph. (NOTE: Your character will be introduced to their spirit in character, so do not include that here.)
    Other: Anything you care to add?

My Characters

Name: Qina
    Age: 314 Moons/25 Years (Yes, I actually calculated that.)
    Origin: Mt. Tessra
    Race: Ta'kath
    Spirit: The Snowshoe Hare, Asenith. His mild nature, as well as his calm and collected disposition contrasts quite nicely with Qina's fiery personality.
    Talents and Abilities: She has incredible marksmanship, she's one of the best bowmen her village has and is always one of the first to be picked for hunting parties. She is apprenticing under her village's Seer, and is slowly learning to speak with those who have passed to the next work, as well as healing techniques.
    Element: Water
    Appearance: Her eyes are the same bright blue as the sky, her long caramel hair tied back in a poof of a ponytail. The fur on her tail and ears matches that of her hair. She is quite tall, she's the second tallest in her village, second only to her father. She wears clothing made of the hides of the deer, two tick bands form her top and bottom, and a strip forms a belt from which she hangs various sacks of herbs and other things used in healing.
    Personality: She is very open with the people she trusts, the people of her village. She keeps almost no secrets, aside from what she is taught by her master. She's wild, and loves to have fun. She loves playing with the younger members of the village, as well as teaching them how to use a bow and how to be stealthy for when the time comes for them to go on their first hunt.
    Biography: When she was young, Qina was quick to learn the ways of the hunt, seemingly a natural. As a result, even though she was next in line to be the village Seer, she was allowed to go out on hunts. It is unusual for an apprentice seer to be allowed to go on hunts, as they are dangerous and the likelihood of the apprentice coming back alive was low enough to cause discomfort. With Qina, however, her talent, skill, and the fact that she did not let her abilities go to her head made her teacher give the go-ahead for her to join in on hunts.

As she grew, so did her knack for hunting. She quickly became a teacher of the hunt, as well as a highly regarded member of her village. Her abilities as a seer still required much work, but there hadn't been a seer yet that had gotten the hang of it as she had with hunting. Seers required much patience, and time to become what they were. To be chosen to become a seer was nothing short of an honour. To be the next Seer was her greatest pride in life, a pride much greater than her love of the hunt.

Other: N/A

Name: Thenon Brakus
    Origin: Somewhere in the Tashni Desert.
    Race: Fae
    Spirit: The Lynx, Daxus. She is a rather unpleasant one, always seeming to speak up about negative outcomes. A bit of a bully, but she does her job well when it comes to teaching.
    Talents and Abilities: He is an incredible pick-pocket, having been caught only a couple times while he was young. His magic is primarily wind, but he has dabbled a bit in water magics, as well.
    Element: Water
    Appearance: He has large purple eyes, and his short, curly locks are a darker shade or the same purple. He can often be seen with a sparkly dust on his face, as well as a silly looking smile. His wings are as brightly coloured as a butterfly's, but are the shape of a bee's, or a wasp's. Most of the clothing he wears are too big for him, and his belt usually has all kinds of sacks hanging off of it, for a place to put his loot. He's a bit short, standing a little over three and a half feet, and he's quite scrawny, mostly due to his metabolism as he eats quite a bit.
    Personality: Thenon is about as fun-loving as his brethren, often pulling pranks on whom ever is unlucky enough to not notice his presence, which is quite a few people.
    Biography: Thenon spent most of his life travelling the world with his parents, learning things and exploring. His curiosity was never-ending, and as such he developed a love of pick-pocketing. When he got older he discovered that he could sell the things he stole, and so he did with everything he didn't find interesting enough to keep. Almost everything he stole got sold, save for a few trinkets that he really liked and a couple Elven carvings.

A few months before his fifteenth birthday, both of his parents fell ill. They were on the road, and there was no one around whom could help them. Thenon didn't have a clue how to help them, he did his best, bringing them food and water, but they both passed on within the week. He had no idea how to handle it, he spent several hours a day crying over their corpses, he held their cold, dead hands in hopes that somehow they would wake up, that maybe he was just having a bad dream. It wasn't, it was all real, and no matter what he did, they wouldn't come back. He eventually found his bearings, dug them a singular grave, and carefully moved them into it. He removed his mother's necklace, and his father's compass before saying his final farewells and encasing them in the earth.

Every year since, he returned to their grave site, told them about what he had done through out the year while he had been gone. He'd pull out new treasures and share them with them, all while holding the necklace and compass close to his heart. He'd grown so much stronger since their deaths, but he couldn't bring himself to join up with another group of Fae. He hadn't quite gotten over his parent's deaths, but he didn't feel ready to join up with any of his people.

Other: He never keeps the necklace or compass on his person, and he's the only one who knows where they are kept.

Name: Serith
    Classification: Imp
    Talents and Abilities: Serith is very good at smoke-and-mirror tricks, he can easily misguide his prey to their demise will little more that a swish of his hand.
    Appearance: Serith is a small, naga-like Abyssal. He's about the size of the average Fae, but aside from the lower 'half' of his body, he has very little flesh to speak of, his dried out crimson skin clinging to little more than bone. Small horns protrude from his forehead, and his scales are covered in small barbs. He has no hair, and tattoos that represent fire cover nearly the entirety of the human-like portion of his body. His long arms have obsidian bangles hanging off of them, barely able to stay on, but never seem to fall off despite their looseness. His fingernails are long, jagged, black and pointed, looking almost like they, too, are made of obsidian.
    Personality: Serith loves pretending to be human, often using his tricks to disguise himself, tricking humans and the likes to trust him. He is much more mild-mannered that most imps, just blowing where the wind takes him, for the most part. He doesn't often go on killing sprees, more just observing silently. For the most part his antics are about as harmless as those of a Fae, unless he is in a foul mood.
    Biography: Serith was on of the original Abyssals to be banished to the Abyss. He hasn't really changed much since then, still as calm as ever and he was a trickster to begin with. His body withered a bit, barbs and horns grew, but that's about all that has really changed. His temperament may have gotten a little worse. Killing things seems to become more enjoyable as time goes on, but he does his best to deny himself that particular joy. He doesn't hate those of the Natural World as the majority of his kind do, rather he's more curious about them. He hadn't spent much time in this world in the beginning, he had very little time to observe this world and its peoples in that time, and is making up for it now that he has found his way back.

Name: Cyerosa
    Classification: Demon
    Talents and Abilities: She can take a dust form, that allows her to travel quickly from one place to another. Her magics are average in comparison to other Demons, as she doesn't take the time to practice.
    Appearance: She looks like a regular wolf at first glance. However, upon closer inspection her soot-black fur has all sorts of nasty bugs crawling through it, her eye sockets are empty, only two glowing red lights inhabiting them. Upon dripping from her jaws, her green saliva begins eating away and what ever it comes in contact with.
    Personality: She is a lost one, she does not know if she should hate those that inhabit the Natural World, but she also does not know if she can trust them. She spends much time loitering around villages, bee-lining around as a result. Slaying anyone who ventures too close to her, scared of what they might do to her. Her recluse nature and willingness to spend so much time around villages and the likes have lead many other Abyssals that have crossed into the Natural World to mistrust her, believe her a traitor.
    Biography: Ever since she was young, she never knew where she stood on the matter of the Natural World, unsure whether she should stand with her kind or not. As she grew older, her confusion only grew. When she managed to find a rift to slip into the Natural World, she didn't know what to do. Her kind had been finding ways to return for so long, and they would come to slay those that opposed them. She was scared of what would happen were she to not stand with the other Abyssals, but also of what the people who lived in this strange world could do to her. Even today she is terrified of what would happen were she to make a decision.

Accepted Characters

Stien Anrufer
    Last edited by Satellite; 05-14-2012 at 05:17 AM.
    "We throw tantrums like parties."

Marbutt's Exquisite Banner Shoppe

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy, Horror
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

So.... they abyssals are like... the bad guys?

"Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly."
    Check out my art thread here! | My Tumblr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Iill join this in a min...is feally a freken lot to read.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

@PinkBandit: It's all up to perception. I don't really believe in 'Good vs. Evil', just different points of view.

@Eqilita: Yeah, took two days to write all that.

Fantasy, Horror
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Err, okay, another question:
    Is the Abyss sorta just like Hell? o.o

"Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly."
    Check out my art thread here! | My Tumblr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No, it's a separate dimension created by the peoples who lives hundreds of years prior. They made it poorly, which is why the magic was able to seep into the creatures they banished there.

Psychological, Dark Fantasy.
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

If you’re looking for more players, don’t forget to make use of all the features that RPA has to offer. You can submit your game to the Roleplaying Games Directory here and if you post here, you can ask the Staff to advertise your roleplay in their signatures.

Most importantly, make sure to apply for Roleplay of the Week!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I will join this for the detail is amazing! Also adding to your rep

Question?

With the fae...they are smaller then a human it says can you give me an average height range?
    Last edited by AlikaKamashi; 04-27-2012 at 10:09 AM.
    Spoiler: Want to join a roleplay with me? I'm in these! Clicky Clicky 

Ask the Imp
    I eat questions -nom nom-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Anywhere from three to five feet, average is around four feet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ohhh okay ^/^ so kinda kid sized
    Spoiler: Want to join a roleplay with me? I'm in these! Clicky Clicky 

Ask the Imp
    I eat questions -nom nom-

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast