The world of Pokemon has long been known as a a world of peace. While an occasional threat might arise, there has yet to be anything that the world can't overcome.
This time, the world may not be up to the challenge.
Twelve years ago, a light came from the direction of Mount Silver, the mountain that separates the Kanto and Johto regions. The light eventually engulfed the entire world, blinding human and Pokemon alike, and then it vanished as suddenly as it appeared.
And the world had changed.
The entire world had suddenly transformed into a giant wasteland. The lakes and oceans were polluted, and it became impossible for water Pokemon to live in their natural habitats. Grass Pokemon slowly began to grow sick. Other Pokemon began to grow feral, making travel between towns extremely dangerous.
Despite this, people tried to rebuild, just as they always did after a disaster. This time, however, would be different. Eventually, people with much more malicious intentions started surfacing with the belief that the world would remain as it was, never to return to its former peaceful state. Violence of all sorts- robberies, murder, and gang activity took a sharp increase. Now, people not only had to fear the wild Pokemon, who now occasionally attacked towns themselves in large groups, they now had to fear their own kind. The people had believed that the Pokemon League would come forward and protect them, but this was an illusion, too. The Gyms had suddenly been deserted not long after what would come to be known as the Change, the whereabouts of the Gym Leaders and their followers unknown. It was clear that the League was still active- Pokemon Centers and the storage system were still very much in effect. That was the only other sign of their existence. The Gyms themselves either became gang hangouts or shelters...and people began to lose hope.
Even Pokemon Trainers were now few in number. Most Trainers had either been killed not long after the Change, or had retired in order to better support their families, or simply for their own safety. There are some brave- or, as some might call them, foolish- Trainers who brave the wastes, hired as mercenaries to protect others on their way to other towns or other such odd jobs, since the League was all but gone. However, there are Trainers who maintain a purpose- they seek answers. Why did the Change happen? What brought it about? Perhaps, if they find the answers, they can return the world to the way it was before...
So, to summarize- the Pokemon world has been turned into a wasteland. An incredibly dangerous wasteland. The world is nothing like it used to be. Gone are the fun battles and knocking wild Pokemon out. If one wishes to survive, they must be prepared to kill- be it Pokemon or person. The League has seemingly abandoned the world, taking official battles with them.
This RP will take place within the Kanto and Johto regions- the regions where Pokemon Red/Green/Blue/Yellow/FireRed/LeafGreen, and Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal/HeartGold/SoulSilver took place respectively. I will allow newer Pokemon (Ruby/Sapphire and on), but I don't want to see someone rock up with only fifth generation Pokemon. Keep a focus on the first two generations.
Also- Trainers are allowed to carry weapons. In fact- your character doesn't need to be a Trainer. Since Pokemon have become feral, people have come to mistrust Pokemon slightly. Even Trained Pokemon are capable of turning feral, suddenly giving in to their instincts during battle, so Trainers may desire to carry a weapon of some sort.
It should also be noted that catching Pokemon is MUCH more difficult to do now that Pokemon are much more dangerous. It will take a highly experienced Trainer to have a full party of six Pokemon. This means that not only that everyone wont have a full party, it also means that characters wont be catching a new Pokemon every other post.
1. The GMs' word is law. Currently, Preach and I are the GMs of the roleplay.
2. Legendary Pokemon are not allowed, under any circumstances. Not even a fleeting encounter.
3. There will not be any canon characters; that is, characters established in the anime television show or any of the games. No Ash, Dawn, Lyra, Evan, Jesse, James, Giovanni, or anybody related to anybody who has a face and a name in the established series. Although, the gym leaders, champions, professors and nurses do exist; it's just that only the nurses will make an appearance.
4. Please PM your character sheet to either me or Preach. Sheets posted in the OOC thread will be ignored. Once your sheet is accepted, it will be added to the list below. If you wish to edit your sheet, PM me and we will discuss any tweaks you have in mind.
5.While this is a much darker version of the Pokemon we know, that doesn't mean you can take it too far. Keep swearing to a moderate level, keep romance to PG-15, the usual rules for a non-M rated RP.
6. No flaming, power playing/godmodding/ect. If you do, you might find your character suddenly crushed by a Snorlax that somehow happened to fall from the sky (for we know how to do that in character)
not to mention the other trouble you'll be in.
7. If you are going to be away for awhile, PLEASE let either of us know. The previous GM left the RP for a very long time, almost leaving a player in conversation with a character that could not respond. We don't want that.
8. When posting in the IC, state the location of your character at the top of their section of the post. This is to prevent confusion and to help track the movement of everybody's characters.
9. All posts are to be written in the third person perspective. That means you only use personal pronouns in dialogue, and refer to your character as someone who is a different person to you.
10. As GMs, we hold the right to change these rules as we see fit. As such, it is in your best interest to check back here occasionally, though we will generally inform you within the OOC thread itself of any additions.
1. When fighting a player character or an opponent that either I or Preach states is important, instahitting is not allowed. The player must state an attack and wait for a response on the opponent's part. At any other time, you can instahit/instakill opponents. Ask me or Preach if you aren't sure.
2. All combat is real time and does not conform to any kind of game logic. Your Pokemon's ability to take hits and deal them is not determined by any sort of number, and there is no turn-based aspect at all.
3. Your Pokemon can use any move that it can justifiably use, and so they are not limited to a total of four. For example, a Charizard may use moves like fly, fire blast, strength, dragon rage, will-o-whisp, but not something like explosion.
4. Self-destructing moves cause Pokemon death.
5. Your Pokemon is not limited to established moves. For example, in addition to using known moves, a Pokemon can simply hit, kick, burn, trample, and otherwise hurt an opponent through mundane means, so long as it is in the abilities of the Pokemon. For example, Charizard can breath fire and so can burn opponents, Dratini can't punch or kick. This also applies to the abilities of the Pokemon. Slowpokes can summon rain with a yawn, Gallades can tell what their opponents think, Hitmonlees can stretch their legs to twice their length, etc, etc.
6. There is also logic to be had in combat. For example: in the games, Magnemite does not have the ability Levitate, but we can all safely say that it doesn't touch the ground and so won't get hurt by a tremor. Starly has the ability Intimidate, but we're not seriously going to say that a tiny bird like that is going to scare anyone into throwing softer punches. Take a Pokemon's Pokedex description into consideration to make the roleplay a little more realistic. All descriptions can be found on serebii.net by searching the Pokemon.