Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunger Games: The Fourth Quarter Quell IC

That one Reaper Guy
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Mostly everything, I suppose
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Default Hunger Games: The Fourth Quarter Quell IC

100 years have passed since the first ever Hunger Games. As a result, 2,301 innocent lives have been lost, coating the Capitol's hands in blood. And now it's time to add another 24 lives into the mix. The Games are here, and this time, a Quarter Quell. Katniss Everdeen was and never will be the Mockingjay. District 13 is still supposedly destroyed. And the games are as deadly as ever...

The day before the Reapings. Or as Alder liked to call it, "Death Gamble Day". In the end, that's really what it was. As per the rules of the District, the workers were given today and tomorrow off to prepare for the Reaping. Well, having today off was because tomorrow was the 4th Quarter Quell, and District 7 wanted to make today "special". Alder found it a load of bullshit.

"Oh Tamatha, that dress looks gorgeous on you!" Alder's mom could be heard from downstairs, giving his little sister Tamatha praise for her dress for tomorrow. James could be heard playing with a little wooden plane in the living room, and Oaks and Jon were probably out back chopping wood for winter with Alder's Dad.

Alder was upstairs cleaning his dress shoes at the demands of his mother, losing himself to his day dreams, wishing he could be doing anything but this. Since he and Tamatha were the only two that could be drawn for the Games, his mom put much more attention into the two of them and their clothes for the Reaping.

"One more year..."
    Thanks to Karma for the Avatar and Signature

Little ball of fire
    Fantasy, Mature, Private....Unless you dare to get me curious...
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Ice grabbed the closest towel to him and quickly rubbed the sweat from his hair, appearing to look more like a hedgehog than a wet dog. The day before the reaping was always when the trainers pushed all potential tributes harder, trying to add just a bit more speed or strength into the young people, a bit more bite, a bit more death. This day’s practice has been the hardest in Ice’s life – the peacekeepers did not treat interns lightly and just like the rest of the district’s potential tributes, pushed future keepers of the peace till they begged for mercy. Some did and were immediately tossed out of the program, usually those from the poorer villages of the district, the few number of families too poor to get by.

“Yo Ice, think you’ll volunteer tomorrow?” June asked as he leaned against the wall near Ice’s stuff. Ice looked at his friend before shaking his head. He simply couldn’t afford that – he wouldn’t accept volunteers for himself if he was reaped but he wouldn’t volunteer for anyone. “Me man, I think I will. Depends on who though – some just can’t share the glory you know?”

“Yeah, I know,” Ice replied, unimpressed as he tossed the towel to the floor and started stripping his wet shirt and pants off his body. June rolled his eyes.

“What’s wrong with you today? As if we haven’t been through this day times before and were too young to volunteer. You know how it is in this district – volunteers must be in their last two years of being reaped to be able to attempt and steal the glory.” Ice glanced at the man beside him as he slipped on clean clothes.

“Yeah, but it’s a Quarter Quell this year June. It’ll be twice as brutal…100 years. Who knows what the Gamers will come up with.”

“Twice the glory and you know we’re the best. You and I…we could easily take on all the others!” June’s eyes blazed up with a dark fire.

“You and I couldn’t end up in the same Game,” Ice stuffed his stuff in a battered bag, slipping into the mid-calf black boots of his apprentice uniform. “Besides, one of us would have to die, don’t forget.”

“Yeah, yeah,” June grabbed his own bag. “Probably me seeing as you murder me each time in practice. Really Ice, how do you do that move man? I still can’t figure it out since…” As Ice followed his friend out of the Nut, June’s voice slowly being tuned out, he thought about his family. He couldn’t die on them and the Gamers, as the Game makers were nicknamed in District 2, didn’t give Capitol Pets any preference. Only two more years and then all would be well – Diorina and little Helenia would never enter their names more times than was required. Not that he did but as a Peacekeeper, his income would go to his parents and guarantee plenty for food all the time.

“I’ll see you tomorrow at our meeting place, right?” June stopped and whipped around, Ice nearly colliding with him. “Hey, is everything alright? You seem…distant.”

“Yeah, yeah, tomorrow, our place,” Ice moved the bag strap on his shoulder into a more comfortable position. “I gotta get back to the smithy.”

“Tell your folks I said hello,” June smiled sadly. “Guess I’ll go and chill for now, instruct Kale for his reaping.”

“First year?” Ice raised an eyebrow. June nodded.

“Yeah and the bugger’s nervous like no tomorrow. Not that the witch is helping things, balling her eyes out.” Both men smirked, knowing too well how emotional June’s young stepmother was. “Anyway, I’ll see you tomorrow man.”

“Cheers,” Ice’s pale eyes watched June disappear among the rest of the apprentices and workers leaving the Nut at the end of the day, allowed to enjoy spending time with their families before the reaping tomorrow. Only the peacekeepers stayed – twenty years of service and no family. Ice wondered if he would have a family to return to when he finished his twenty years. June’s father was an exception – he hailed from the Capitol and his wife was already pregnant when they arrived only to die at June’s birth. Then Zera came along and – because of his previous contribution at the city – June got another mother.

Running a hand through his hair, the young man started home, waving to some other acquaintances, feeling the rather unhealthy excitement in the air. It was affecting him too, making him want to growl and go mad, attack anyone who looked at him as though he was too weak.

“Is that you Ice?” Helenia’s voice rung clear as a bell through the halls as he finally made it into his house, a small place with the smithy attached to the back, always warm and smelling of fire. “Look, daddy bought me a new dress for the reaping day. The teachers really pushed as at school today,” the nine year old girl appeared from the top of the stairs in a flowing blue dress, somewhat resembling last year district 2 tribute’s outfit for the interview. She spun on her heels, giggling, her dark eyes sparkling with joy. “Do you like it?”

“Yeah, makes you look like a princess,” Ice forced a smile, smooth as butter, onto his face although his heart jumped. “Although you know, you are too young to be in the reaping.”

“I know but mom still said I could look nice,” Helenia smiled and raced over to give him a hug. “What are you wearing?”

“The apprentice uniform – as required,” Ice ruffled her hair before dropping his bag and stretching. “Where are the rents?”

“In the smithy, working on something. Diorina is cleaning her own clothes but dad told you to heat up dinner. It’s in the fridge – the announcements will go on soon apparently,” Helenia gave Ice a hug, letting her head sink into his chest.

“Alright, will you help me, your highness?” Ice raised an eyebrow, looking at her. At her nod, both headed for the kitchen, the young girl filling her brother in on all that happened to her at school that day and although Ice laughed and smile, the happiness never reached his eyes.

historical, fantasy, dystopian, superpowers/gifted
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Death always managed to rear his ugly head within the twelve districts of Panem, but now more than ever Merona could feel his presence. Surely he was awaiting another chance to carry away each of the victims in the Capitol's latest slaughter. It was a disgusting prospect to Merona, but going into its 100th year there was no avoiding it. At least two more of District 10's youth were doomed to a most grisly fate. That was not something Merona wished upon any of them, just praying that some had avoided Tessarae during the past year, even if it was nearly impossible in such a poor district. Knowing that, Merona let out a sigh as she got dressed to enjoy her last day of peace.

The signs of this year's Hunger Games being different were everywhere. The Capitol broadcasts, the banners draped along the District 10 Justice Building, and even the fear in each of the children's eyes. A Quarter Quell was never a light affair. It was just another symbol of the Capitol's power over the districts, one that had been challenged before but ended in failure.

Failure. It was just another fear of Merona's knowing what it meant for her family, and ultimately her if she was ever reaped for the games. She was well aware that District 10's record in the games was abysmal, not a legacy she wanted to become part of. Instead, she had found advantage to practicing her family's trade. Knives; butchery. They were useful in the arena, right? She at least hoped so as long as the deadly career tributes were running around.

"Hey, mom. Hey, dad. Hey, Gabriela." Merona greeted her family as she joined them at the dinner table. They had always been firm in the days leading up to the reaping for each meal to be a strictly family affair. They hated the thought of any of the meals being their last with any of their children, a reality that had only been further confirmed two years prior. Those were not days Merona wanted to relive and were arguably the worst in her sixteen years. It wasn't every day children watched their siblings get brutally slaughtered on national television. Even almost exactly two years later the images still burned in the back of Merona's mind. If she got reaped tomorrow she was going to fight; she had to.

"Don't even remind me what tomorrow is because I already know." Merona pleaded firmly just before stuffing her face with the morning's helpings. Living in the livestock district as a butcher's daughter had some advantages as it often meant being slightly better fed than the majority of the district. Merona felt this as she forced down today's plateful of ham cutlets that had been taken from one of the recent victims of her father's knives. It wasn't much, but in a situation of desperation there was no being fussy. It was the first rule of survival as Merona had learned.

"Don't worry about it. You brought it up, not us." Rita, Merona's mother, finally spoke up as she glanced over at her oldest daughter. She quickly shifted over to Gabriela and could easily sense fear in her eyes. Being only thirteen, her chances of surviving if reaped were rather slim. The entire family knew it well so could only hope with all their heart that her name wasn't pulled in the sadistic lottery. Of course, there was also the factor they didn't even yet know what the newest twist to the game's rules was going to be. That seemed odd to Merona especially who knew that allegedly the Quarter Quell was announced in advance. Had the Capitol finally cracked and decided to subdue everybody through pure fear without any shred of hope? It was at least one theory forming in in the girl's head, although she didn't dare voicing it. Defying the Capitol was disastrous and everybody knew it.

Fortunately for Merona there was little time for her to voice any views on the Capitol's rule as the television screen suddenly blared, showing various personalities straight from the Capitol itself. They were dressed as flamboyantly as ever, which suddenly made it hard for Merona to hold down the food she had just consumed with how sickening it was. "Oh yay, it's on." She blurted out sarcastically, rolling her eyes. Currently there was some broadcast on documenting each district's industry, but she knew it was only a matter of time before it was interrupted by the announcement of the 100th Annual Hunger Games and also the Fourth Quarter Quell. The President truly was like a serpent, advancing on his prey when they least expected it. That made him and all of his supporters dangerous and manipulative, yet another prospect that made Merona feel sick. She was going to have a very long night.

Second to the right and straight on 'til morning.
    Sci-fi, fantasy and mystical wonderful stuffs!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Ashla Clark

Ashla sat underneath a tree eating berries and humming a lullaby to herself. Tomorrow was the reaping day and everybody was excited, Ashla was not. She'd spent her birthday with family and the fortune teller down the road said she predicted good omens for Ashla, that should have meant she wouldn't be reaped, but she remembered what had happened last year and knew it was simply a game of chance. She had no tesserae, and she was grateful for that. She was sat in scruffy trousers and an old top, glad she could escape from all the hubub in the centre for only 10 minutes. Her mother was busy sewing her sister a dress and Ashla honestly had no time for dresses. She worked, she learned, she played but dressing up was not her thing. Yet, it seemed as though she would have to try on her outfit sometime soon, a grey dress with a purple ribbon, and so she headed back to the house from the meadow. Children were laughing and adults seemed simply disgusted but they put up with it.

Brit Johns
    Fidge Johns was smirking as Brit tried on numerous old outfits of his dad's until they found one that fit. Sometimes he wished his mother was there, he always wanted to see them on their very first reaping days. Brits was three years ago, but this year was his sister Elenor's and she danced around the small hut in a blue blouse and white skirt. "Elenor, calm down, the reaping day's not until tomorrow, and even then it's nothing to be happy about." said Brit, scowling, and his dad nodded in agreement. Elenor's spirit seemed to sink and Fidge, the eldest brother, smirked even more and walked away. "Don't worry Elenor. If you get reaped then one of the big girls will volunteer for you, and if I get reaped then I will stand strong and win the games for you." he did a stupid pose and then kissed the girl on her head. "Now let's get you out of those clothes, don't want to spoil them do we?" he smiled, helped her change, and then sent her out to play.

Crimson Casanova
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Freshly bathed, a gray-faded towel wrapped around his waist, Tyson stood in front of the cracked mirror of his room. He examined his own reflection, his dark-blue eyes were staring back at him. Today was the day, the Reaping. Two names will be picked at random - unless someone volunteers of course - and they will enter the Fourth Quarter Quell. His eyes wandered to his body, flexing his biceps and tensing his abdomen. He wasn't exactly narcissistic and admiring his body, but he was extremely glad that after many years of hard labor, his body basically reached its peak physical potential.

The perfect machine. And if he was chosen for this year's Game, then Tyson knows that his physical prowess will be his biggest advantage. Strength and stamina, aspects that he greatly excels in. If he was chosen, then he knew he would be a fierce opponent for those unlucky enough to face him. A small smirk came across his face at the amusing thought.

After dressing up in a relatively new suit - one that he just bought this past year - Tyson wandered down the stairs of his house and entered the kitchen. There, the rest of his family were already prepping up for today's reaping. Tyson nodded a greeting to his parents with a proud smile, and they greeted warmly back to him, yet Tyson could see the glimmer of fear in both of their eyes. Ever since Tyson turned fifteen, he used several Tesseraes to bring his family a surplus amount of money, while also significantly increasing his chances to be chosen for the Hunger Games. Fortune has smiled upon his family so far, because Tyson has yet to be chosen. Little did they know, today, everything will change.

"Tyson!" his little sister, the eight-year old, Elena, practically leaped across the room and into Tyson's arms. The older brother laughed aloud of Elena's enthusiasm, picking her up within his strong arms. "What took you so long to come down?" she faked a small pout across his dimpled face. She was dressed in a cute yellow blouse, appearing very adorable even for a young girl at her age.

For most of the day, Tyson was away and just recently returned to the house, but took quite a while bathing and getting dressed. Tyson slightly shrugged, "Oh, nothing to worry about, lil' sis, just doing my thing," he chuckled lightly.

Both of the parents lightly laughed at Elena's slightly sassy attitude, and approached their children. "Darling, you look lovely," his mother, Rebekah, patted her son's chest. With the extra money they had that year, the family was able to enjoy a few more finer things in life, such a relatively new and fashionable clothing. The joys of these material objects though meant very little to both of the parents, they only cared for their children's safety, and today Tyson could obviously tell that both of his parents were extremely nervous for today's results.

"Thank you mom," Tyson gave his thanks and gently kissed his mother's cheek. "And don't worry, we'll be fine today," he assured her. Deep inside, though, he really wished he had his name picked for the Hunger Games. Of course he would never tell such an irrational wish to his family or his friends, but he couldn't help what he feels.

"Hey, mommy, daddy, I just had a thought," Elena perked up within Tyson's arms. "What if both Tyson and his girlfriend were picked today? Wouldn't that be awesome?" she questioned giddily, and apparently extremely naive about the bloodbath gladiator tournament known as the Hunger Games.

A chill ran down all of their spines, Tyson never really had such a thought about something extremely unlikely such as that. He sighed, "Well, I honestly hope not, Elena. I honestly hope not."
    Last edited by RedKayne; 12-14-2014 at 06:52 AM.

That one Reaper Guy
    Mostly everything, I suppose
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

In all the districts, the intercoms all over the towns blared, the sound of an incoming message droning on and on for a few minutes. Finally, it stopped and the message played.

"All citizens of District..." It listed the district the message was playing in, and continued, "... enter your homes and tune in to the Quarter Quell announcement President Snow has made." All of the citizens did as they were told, Peacekeepers at the ready as a precaution.

"Citizens of Panem... One hundred years ago, the very first Hunger Games was held. After a period of war and rebellion amongst the Districts, The Hunger Games were created as both punishment and retribution for the actions against the Capitol. And in the Charter of the Games, it was decided that every twenty-five years, there would be a Quarter Quell. And tomorrow, we celebrate the Fourth Quarter Quell." President Snow paused, drawing an envelope from a simple, yet elegant box provided from a servant.

"To remind the Districts that the misdeeds of the rebels is the cause of their children's suffering, on this Quarter Quell, parents shall be reaped from the pool of those with two or more children, and must decide which of their children will be going into the Games." The crowd in the Capitol cheered, and soon after, the broadcast ended, the seal of Panem signaling it's end.

Alder had been paying close attention to the broadcast, deep in thought as to what it may possibly be this time. What it was surprised him very, very much. His parents were speechless, and he could see out of the corner of his eye that his mother's lip was quivering, and she was squeezing his father's hand tightly.

"Kids, please go to your rooms. Your father and I need to discuss a few things," his mother said, her voice trembling. Her kids left without any argument, not wanting to be there to hear them make a decision. No kid would want to know that their parents would be sending them to a bloodbath.
    Thanks to Karma for the Avatar and Signature

Moon Child
    Feeding Nazgul with a spoon in his white padded room.
    I will try just about anything. Especially Twilight fanfiction. TEAM JACOB!
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)

Adelaide was high up in a tree when she heard one of her brothers calling. "Addie!" She hated that nickname, which means they loved calling her it. "ADDIE! You are going to miss the announce.." She dropped down in front of him landing on her feet.

She had leaves in her hair and a stick stuck through her hat. "Don't call me that." Was all she said, a small smile on her face. She could tell him that over and over again and still he would call her that. She tried to pretend this day didn't worry her, but it did. Her stomach was in knots and she knew if she talked too much she would spew vomit all over her older brother. She turned and walked toward the house.

She had heard that they mixed things up when it came to a Quarter Quell, as if the games weren't bad enough. They walked inside just as President Snow came on the screen. She sat on the floor and drew her knees to her chest, resting her chin on them, her red hair sticking out crazy ways under her hat. As he spoke, her stomach was now in her throat.

If her parents were chosen she knew exactly who they would choose. Her parents loved her very much, but the boys were always more favored. Hell, even she liked the boys more than she liked herself. She wasn't very sociable. If she was her parents, she would pick herself, she almost smirked at how terrible was that. Her mind was racing, but she forced it to calm. She didn't even know if her parents were chosen. Right? No need to worry too soon.

Tears were in her mothers eyes, but she was trying to stay strong. She was always strong had never cried in front of them that she could remember. It was her dad that spoke up. "Your mother and I are going to go for a walk.." He took their mother by the arm, wrapping his around her shoulder and led her outside. Her mother loved the outdoors just as much as Adelaide did, and she knew it would help. She needed some air too, she was suffocating, or was that her lunch coming up? Both? Her brothers looked calm and strong as always. She looked to both of them before she ran out the door and emptied her stomach on the lawn. To make any family do such a thing was sickening and even if it wasn't hers it made her absolutely sick. After her stomach had no contents left she found the nearest tree and climbed up as high as she could go. She wished she could stay up there forever, or fly away like the mockingjays, far away from Panem.

Spoiler: Looking for RP in all the wrong places? Click here! 

Spoiler: Friend Quotes 

Platinum Star, Yo!
    Lots of things, but especially anything with princesses. :3
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

NAILAH, DISTRICT 4

Perhaps one of the downsides of Reaping Day was that it was usually only a half day of work. Or a half-day of school for those who still went, but Nailah couldn't be arsed to do any of that. School was for fools. she was half-inclined just to volunteer for the reaping just for the hell of it, and perhaps to prove it could be done. It might be even cooler this year, where there'd be some kind of special rule-change. Hopefully District 12 wouldn't win again. They might not have had the most impressive array of victors, but they did seem to win those Quarter Quells, or so the story went. Really, Nailah wasn't arsed enough to look up Hunger Games history very much either.

Speaking of quarter quells, the Zoraki family was all huddled in their home to learn a bit about what the rule change would be. After hearing it... there was something of an awkward silence. Naturally, Nailiah's folks looked a bit mortified at the notion of having to choose which of their children to go to their deaths.
    "Y'know..." Nailah was the one to speak up first. "If shit comes to shitty, and shitty becomes even shittier, then think of it this way. I'll go, becuase for one thing, I'm not afraid of the Capitol. Secondly, I'm not afraid of any of the other kids any of the other districts could possibly regurgitate. Thirdly, Districts 1 and 2 can go hump a coral reef. Those career kids won't know what hit 'em."

"That doesn't make the notion any easier to stomach though," Ilyana reminded her, "Nailah, regardless of your fears, you are still our child, and if our names were to be called out, I would still be heartbroken to have to send any of you away."
    "Well... you know that I'd go instead, if I wasn't too old," Tanith spoke up.

"It's just..." Ilyana began, "Losing Oscar was hard enough, and that was no one's fault... knowing that we... your parents... would be the ones responsible for your death... that would nearly kill us too."
    "Dad..." Nailah turned to her father, "If in the event that we're chosen... just make sure to take care of mom. Tanith... you too. And Rafiel, especially once he's back in commission and his legs heal. I know I'm probably in no real position to be a leader here, but you gotta listen to me. Just know that if I die, my final moments will consist of me being awesome, just like if I ever came and died on the seas."

"...despite all the warnings we give you," Her father elbowed him, cracking a smile, perhaps to try and make lighter of what could potentially be a horribly grim situation.
    "Hey... I dunno exactly what this thing you all call 'fear' is, but I think it's bullshit and refuse to take any part of it, y'hear? Just know that no matter what happens... even if I get shot on the way to the Reapings... that I'm still Nailah Motherfucking Zoraki, and that nothing is gonna change that!" she threw her fist into the air.

"Perhaps that's all the more reason we're so proud of you, despite some of your... antics, sweetheart." Ilyana reminded her, "you were always the one that was willing to go where no one else was willing to go..."
    "well... 'sides Oscar..." Nailah muttered, "but let's not let this kill our spirits here. there's hundreds of families out there, and unlike a whole lot of 'em, we've got this under control, okay? Mom, dad, if you dare try to send Heather or Kieran out there, so help me I will wring your necks myself."
    Such was Nailah's nature. She made threats and while she sometimes couldn't live up to them, she usually did follow up on many of them. She wasn't about to actually wring her parents' necks or anything, but she would certainly not take kindly if they sent a little 12-year-old or 14-year-old to their demise. Sure she was only 16, but she was fine with taking the heat.
    But that would be later. For now... time would tell. there was still a little while before the reaping anyways.
    'The Crown of Zivia' Word Count: 64319
    'The Crusade of Zulera' Word Count: 52548
    'The Shadows of Shinzoka' Word Count: 51000
    'The Rebirth of Krippa' Word Count: 51000
    'The Seer of Koldia' Word Count: 49114

The Avatar in Chains (fanfic)
    Z. Zu. Zul. Zuzu. Zuly. Zulera. Lulu. 301. Zu-Zu. ZZ-Top. Zuliette. Zuley. Zulz. Zuul. Zubat. 'Lera. Zulianne. Z301. Z-hizzle. Z-dawg. Zulerey. Zully. Zulio. Luz. Ra-ra. Z-swiss. Zulera301.

MotM January 2015
    Sci-fi and fantasy, mostly, but I'll take a crack at just about anything.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

"Lyra! It's the day to prepare for Reaping Day, what are you doing still in bed?" The voice was hard and sharp, like the stone splinters lined up on the windowsill of the small bedroom.

The bedroom's occupants were a woman and a teenage girl. The girl was no longer asleep and rather annoyed at the fact. "We have more than enough time to get ready for the reaping, mother," she said in a quiet voice. "It's not even today." Despite her protests, she pushed the covers back and stood on the cool stone floor.

"So? Don't disobey me, girl. We're going to the outfitters, to make sure that you and your siblings are dressed appropriately. Get out of bed and get dressed."

Lyra was about to say that she was already out of bed, but she thought better of it. She moved toward the closet until she heard her mother close the bedroom door behind her. Then she stopped walking and let our her breath in a sigh. It was Reaping Day. Who could forget, especially with a woman like her mother around? Lyra's father and grandfather had both been victors. She crossed the room to the window.

"Family business," Lyra said to herself. She poked the window, which still had a layer of condensation on it from the night's coolness. In another few minutes, the sun would be coming up over the trees and buildings, but for now the entire district - as much of it as she could see - was a murky greyscale. A door shut somewhere in the house, accompanied by raised voices, and Lyra guessed her mother had woken up her brother as well. She reached a hand out to the window again, this time in a drawing. When footsteps came closer to her room, she wiped it out with her sleeve and practically ran across the room to her closet.

Lyra's mother pushed the door open without bothering to knock. "Good. You're awake." Then she slammed the door shut and her heavy footsteps pounded down the hallway and into the kitchen.

Lyra cast a look of disgust at her bedroom door and turned back to her closet. One good thing about living in District 2 was that they had some money to spare on outfits. For each Reaping Day, she got a different dress. This year it was a smooth, shimmery medium-grey fabric overlaid in swirls of dark grey and light grey velvet. She put it on because she had to wear it but dropped the matching hat and purse to the floor and kicked them under her bed. Her mother would complain that they were missing, and that she wouldn't be wearing high heels. But if Lyra was going to get dragged off to get butchered, she would have at least something to say about what she was wearing.

Breakfast was a quiet, awkward affair. As soon as they could, the kids left the kitchen. They all crowded into their brother's room, which was the largest of the childrens' quarters. Several hours passed before their mother began shouting again. "Children! We have to go. Where are you?"

As Lyra left her home, she thought about the doodle she'd erased from her window. She'd learned a story of a failed rebellion from eavesdropping on adult conversations. The odds are never in our favor! the rebels had shouted. Lyra would never have dared left any permanent record of her feelings. But in the privacy of her room, she had dared to scrawl "us < odds" for just a moment. Because the odds weren't in anyone's favor.
    Last edited by The Cockatiel; 12-16-2014 at 03:14 AM.

Second to the right and straight on 'til morning.
    Sci-fi, fantasy and mystical wonderful stuffs!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Ashla Clark

Ashla had made it back into the house just before the announcement had started. She sat on her parent's bed along with her sister, mother and father. Her sister was excited, she thought the games were 'romantic' and 'exciting', just another little girl brain washed by the Capitol. The room went still as Snow began to speak, and when the announcement was made none of the family could really believe it, the parents were upset, Ashla was confused and so was her sister. "You have two children, don't you mummy..." whispered the youngest and her mum nodded slowly. "Children, I think we ought to discuss this together, your mother and I can't pick simply choose," said the father in a soft, hoarse voice. They nodded and gathered round together. After much debating, they decided Ashla would go. She was the oldest, strongest, she was more experienced. "But don't worry mum, we won't get picked, I know we won't." said Ashla, soothingly playing with her mum's hair.

Brit Johns
    Tomas Johns gasped when he heard the announcement, and Brit covered Elenor's ears whilst she played with her doll. There was silence outside, no riots, just pain inside the households. "We need to do something about this. We're being punished for no good reason!" said Fidge after a few minutes of silence. Tomas nodded, "We tried, we failed, and now we're stuck in an eternal loop. Elenor, you're the youngest, we're not risking you," he said. "But boys, I'm going to need some time, I love you both, but I need to decide." Tomas nodded and Fidge was silent. They both headed outside and then Fidge started his rant, "It's not fair, I'm too old for the games, I survived my time of reaping, now it's your turn. You're going to volunteer for me, 'cause dad will pick me." He pushed Brit. "You are going to volunteer." Brit nodded, he wasn't, he would be glad to get rid of his spiteful brother. If someone entered the games, they wouldn't come back, that was the truth and Brit knew it, and was kind of happy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast