Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hands We're Dealt (IC)

RPA Honor Guard
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Sci-fi, Fantasy, Mature
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)

Marshal Korvydae stands. "I support the Artisan in his proposal. And, off the record, I might add that it's about time someone began to support the PDF. I am ever grateful for your support, Artisan, and would like to invite you to go hunting with me later. I only wish others saw the importance of an adequate defense as yourself. That is all." He then sits back down.

Spoiler: Things I like 

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Toi was properly amused as the other members of the council, with the obvious exception of the Ad Mech representative, issued their exclamations of surprise over the public unrest. Well, this one was on them; she had made her plans accommodate for public unease, but did they vote for it? No, they voted for… what was it? Ah yes, beacons. If things kept up this way, the Imperium would be receiving requests for soldiers to put down a civil war on Sarus.

But then, it was their job to make sure it never came to that.

“I too support the artesan’s proposal, though I would caution the Marshal that there is nothing that is off the record here; certainly not the one that the most holy Emperor inspects.”
    Spoiler: Around the Forum 

RPA Honor Guard
    Sci-fi, Fantasy, Mature
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)

"And I would advise minister Toi not to speak of things she has no knowledge of. Believe me, I am aware that The Emperor sees everything we do, and watches over us always. I was merely stating that it was my opinion I was speaking about, not an official judgement or matter worth recording. But maybe you'll learn about that when you finally graduate from the Schola." He says, making a light jest at her young age.

June MotM 2014
    Sci-fi
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

"The Marshall will withdraw the comment, it is an insult to the Minister, failure to do so will see him withdrawn from the chamber." The Governor interrupted.

RPA Honor Guard
    Sci-fi, Fantasy, Mature
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)

"Fine fine, I withdraw it. I only meant it as a light jest." he says with a wave of his hand. "I meant no offense, and I am sure Minister Toi is very intelligent and accomplished. Do you accept my apology, Minister?"

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

Agri minister Kol sat with his chin resting on one fist, apparently chuckling to himself in mild amusement as Toi and Khorvidae sparred. When calm had returned to the chamber, he signalled the scribe.

"It appears that we already have a consensus, lord governor." he said brightly. "But if I may, I have a further proposal for the council."

At the governor's nod, he rose to his feet.

"I wish to address the avoidance of the current protests in future. Food poverty is still a problem to be tackled on many parts of Sarus, and we have seen the consequences of withdrawing support for this need. I would also argue that having built the Denarii forest garden explicitly for food subsidies, not continuing to use it for such would be irresponsible. I therefore table the additional proposal that the council enact a binding motion to protect the reinstated food subsidy program for a period of three years, at the end of which it will undergo review to assess its continued necessity. Further."

He let the word hang for a moment, as he turned to look directly at Tarpeian. The archbishop had abstained from every council vote since the last budget meeting, and the tacit condemnation of the government by this well-liked public figure had only fuelled unrest. It appeared however that Kol did not have criticism of the archbishop's inaction in mind, but reconciliation.

"Your grace, I see you have once again abstained from the council's vote, but I have an offer that might interest you. I have been working on plans for a future year which would expand the poverty program to include housing and healthcare support for the planet's disadvantaged. I would be willing to put these plans forward as a joint venture in the church's name, if you are agreeable."

The offer was obvious: voting for the proposal would bring Tarpeian back into the government, implicitly lending the ministorum's approval to the council once again. Kol thumbed a control wand to project a page of figures onto the hololith.

"The council will note that my projections for income from the trade fleet next year put such a proposal well within our adjusted budget. Our standard allocation of 10 billion Thrones, and more, will remain available for continued planetary development."
    Last edited by Azazeal849; 01-23-2015 at 03:17 PM.
    Spoiler: My RP links 

PM me for novelised versions of any of my RPs, or ones that I have participated in. Set by the awesome Karma.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

"Your grace, I see you have once again abstained from the council's vote, but I have an offer that might interest you. I have been working on plans for a future year which would expand the poverty program to include housing and healthcare support for the planet's disadvantaged. I would be willing to put these plans forward as a joint venture in the church's name, if you are agreeable."

For the last year Tarpeian had abstained from appearing in council and had instead set other priests with his proxy, each was a young man or woman of clearly junior rank and always a different one. They spoke only when performing the sessions opening and closing prayers and to politely decline from offering an official Ministorum position on matters of state. As for the Archbishop himself, Tarpeian had not offered any public opinion on governance either, and had largely been occupied by the conversion efforts which had finally started to gain traction. The populace had noticed this absence.

Tarpeian inclined his head fractionally at Kol as he listened to the proposal, and betrayed no other emotion. The Archbishop glanced levelly towards the Governor, and then signaled to the scribe with a double knock of his ring against the lectern.

"The council recognizes Archbishop Ianós Tarpeian, Pontfex Mundi of Sarus.”

“It is gratifying to know we think alike where it concerns the people, Procurator Kol, and I am always agreeable for raising His people up from their unfortunate misery. It is only correct that we do so, and I am heartened by the efforts presented by council to provide for the underprivileged in this meeting’s agenda.” The Archbishop had spoken with a warm smile, but it turned into a doubtful frown. “However our last session confirmed that this government cannot maintain consistent support for civil welfare initiatives. So long as benevolence to our most needy citizens remains a discretional budgetary item, ready to be sacrificed on the altar of politics, so long will Sarus be plagued by social unrest. The people rightly call for comprehensive solutions,” Tarpeian clicked a button on his own activator wand, “and the Holy Ministorum would be humbled to provide them.”

Kol’s financials were swept aside to show a progression of pictures stamped with the Ministorum’s crest. Many showed robed adepts of the church providing medical care and other assistance in pristine facilities, each of which were unapologetically Imperial in construction. Amongst the galleries there was once again murmurs of conversation at the Archbishop’s presentation, as the images presented fellow humans who were more wonderfully different than they could ever have imagined. What united all of these people were their devotional iconography, while also varied, were all unquestionably to the God-Emperor of Mankind.

“What you witness are examples of Ministorum operations from across the sector. For those in this chamber not aware, we are the largest and most effective provider of charitable enterprises in the Imperium.” Tarpeian spoke with conviction and pride about that fact. “The Ministorum would commission these accommodations and healthcare clinics by local construction firms and skilled trade guilds, at I will note more than competitive market prices. Naturally we would assume responsibility for the maintenance of these buildings, as well as comprehensively subsidize the services they provide. Most of the beneficiaries would receive assistance at no out of pocket expense, and nor would the annual planetary budget be affected. The Ministorum will fund these initiatives in whole and in perpetuity, so long as we can consider Sarus in good standing.”

The council was not unaware that Sarus was presently ill favored by the Ministorum. True to his word, Tarpeian had reigned in all direct support from the church to the state. Where otherwise preachers would have encouraged citizens not to protest, instead they merely counselled for peaceful demonstrations. Religious services were still carried out across Sarus, however the mood was always suppressed and the messages weighed heavily on themes of duty and obligation. In formal high masses visited by government officials they often focused on penitence for failures and, particularly when former Labour Coalition politicians were in attendance, lessons of how the Emperor was with all true faithful. While the Archbishop not spoken to the council in a year - all of them had heard his words.

“Now I am willing to vouch for a return of full Ministorum support to this regime, for the good Sarus and its people. The time I have spent amongst my flock this past year has only confirmed my original impression, that they are good and wholesome people that genuinely adore their Emperor.” Tarpeian’s smile once again morphed into a frown. “However the synod remains skeptical, as until my arrival last year no efforts had been undertaken towards matters of the faith. They are also well aware of segments of the population who doubt the Imperium, from the humblest serfs to the highest of authorities.” The Archbishops eyes flicked over to the Governor as he paused momentarily for air and effect. “I would endeavor to assuage these not inconsiderable or unjustified reservations, and I can do so with the council's assistance."

“What I would need to convince them otherwise is a sworn promise of recommitment to spiritual matters, guaranteed by an unquestioned majority of the advisory council, as a token of good faith. I believe the allotment that Procurator Kol proposed for a domestic charity program, invested into religious sanctuaries and baptismal fonts, would make a sufficient offering of contrition.” Tarpiean gestured to the council. “Of course this motion would be enacted in the next budgetary year. The Ministorum fully supports the Imperial standardization of PDF assets and the construction of orbital defenses, as it is sacred our duty to ensure that the Emperor’s realms and His people are protected.”

“Minister Kol was also quite correct that Minister Bhokov will have an exceptional bounty of food and minerals to trade, so that what is required by the Ministorum will not preclude addition development on Sarus, if we can prevent the threatened labor strikes. That should be possible, if the council accommodates the Ministorum’s prior requirements and proves to the population that we are committed to lasting civic welfare instead of temporary delaying actions.” Tarpeian folded his hands peacefully against his chest underneath the rosarius. “I would gladly have these charities proclaimed to the populace, as well as educate them on their benefits, during the proposed resumption of joyful religious festivals and daily calls to prayer.”
    Last edited by PaintSerf; 01-24-2015 at 07:33 PM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

[pending]
    Spoiler: Around the Forum 

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

Kol stood silent for a moment, impassive. Then he clapped his hands together.

"Excellent." he said. "If the council is agreeable, I can furnish your grace with the details of the most beneficial targets after the meeting."

He turned to the address the council at large.

"I see nothing unreasonable about the archbishop's answer. Provided that the council's role in the inception of this venture is, ah," He politely cocked an eyebrow at Tarpeian. "Fairly acknowledged?"
    Spoiler: My RP links 

PM me for novelised versions of any of my RPs, or ones that I have participated in. Set by the awesome Karma.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

“Procurator Kol, I can assure you and this council that all of Sarus will know who swears to this commitment, as I will have the results announced in services today. It is only correct that the people know who amongst their leadership are concerned with their welfare.” Tarpeian smiled warmly in reassurance. “I will also have the declaration, which I pray will be a unanimous show in a show of solidarity, posted in parish churches now and throughout the year until our next budget session.”

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast