Page 1 of 63 12351 ... LastLast

Thread: Aedoran Tales: The Age of Kings [OOC And Discussion] {M}

Sanity's Eclipse
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

Default Aedoran Tales: The Age of Kings [OOC And Discussion] {M}

[Rated M for violence, language, alcohol and drug use/abuse, sexual themes and content, and other misc nasty things]

The first age of Aedoran was the Age of Industry. The first age saw mankind rise above its primitive state with the arrival of a goddess of time and progress. This goddess, the Maiden of Gears, gave many gifts to mankind through her prophet Orion. A civilization built upon clockwork machinery rose and through cultivation of magic, all the world was at man's fingertips. The master of this civilization was the Geared King, a favorite of the Maiden who was given the secrets of eternal life through clockwork construction.

A great marvel was constructed by the Geared King, envied by even Elvenkind and the Dwarf-folk. A grand tower was built, a monument to all the Maiden had gifted man with. The Tower of Aeons: a magical thing powerful enough to grant wishes and alter reality. The shining light of a time of peace shone upon the world. And that light drew forth the darkest shadows.

The Calamity came in a storm of darkness and fear. The technological advances of mankind allowed them to put up a stalwart defense, but the war still ravaged the land. The Calamity wanted the tower at the heart of the Clockwork Kingdom. The dark clouds loomed over all the Geared King held dear. But the tower, the object of the Calamity's desire, would not be the saving grace. The Maiden of Gears bestowed two final gifts to the King and his subjects: the Golgoth and the Infinite Chime. The Golgoth was a metal basin etched with curious markings and the Infinite Chime was a resonating bell of dark obsidian. The Infinite Chime was suspended over the Golgoth and rung once. The clockwork civilization shattered, the world shook to its core, and all quieted. The Calamity was gone, but much fallout remained. Dark entities, monsters, and demons remained. The Calamity ended and so too ended the Age of Industry, with only the Geared King remaining to guard his tower for all time.

The second age was the Age of Gods. The coming of the Unbowed Sun marked a new dawn after the Golgoth Blast. New Gods for a new world and mankind found renewed faith. Seeing the devastation brought by the Maiden's work, her worship was made blasphemous even as a new foundation was built on the ruins of the clockwork kingdom of the past. The Unbowed Sun brought with him the Eternal Moon, goddess and wife. More gods appeared and a new pantheon was born. Prosperity born from grand magic and miracles alongside clockwork from the past washed over mankind and their kingdoms rebuilt. Religion once again brought happiness and routine to the people.

But in the shadows of this new age, the Maiden of Gears still had followers. A cult devoted to her known as “The Industrialsts” began engaging in outlawed work with clockwork and recompiling the Maiden's teachings, sure in their belief that such knowledge should not be lost.

However, it was not the presence of The Industrialists that brought the enduring age crashing down. Sure, they had their conflicts with the Solar Order, but it never got overly violent. No, the true tragedy came when the gods turned violent toward one another. For all of the good qualities, the Unbowed Sun had just as many negative. A burning need to be on top drove him to inevitable war with the gods of the other races. The Heavenly Struggle brought the Age of Gods to an end with a fiery, thirty-year war that consumed both the heavens and the world below.

New light came in the wake of the godly war. Might gods fell, but their wills remained. And those wills chose exceptional men and women to endow with great power, elevating them to demigods. In the wake of the war, the Unbowed Sun and his kin took a step back from direct maneuvering, to recover and try to make true peace with the other pantheons. The mortals who were elevated gained immense power, enough to reshape the world. They became Kings. And the first Kings raised their domains, which would become the basis for the modern kingdoms. The mantle would pass freely as a King fell, the will seeking according to its own parameters. Sometimes years would pass, but inevitably a new King would rise. The Age of Kings brought the world together again, unifying mankind.

Spoiler: The Kings 

Spoiler: Religions of Aedoran 

Spoiler: Technological Level of Aedoran 

Our Story
    So now we come to the heart of the matter. It is the year 1788 of the Age of Kings. The world waits for the return of two fallen Kings while the land heals from the last war brought on by the demon lord Belthax. The Tower of Aeons remains as silent as ever, one of the only unchanging things of the world. In the midst of all the unrest the Eternal King Gilgamesh has called a meeting of all the living Kings, something that has not been seen in centuries. The chosen meeting ground became the Solar Temple, a place of worship and neutrality where the Kings could set aside their personal squabbles and try to mend the wounds left by the demon army.

Aside from the lands of the Six Kings, the world hosts numerous other kingdoms and republics that will inevitably send emissaries to make witness of the King's meeting. But this grand meeting is not where our story begins. No, our story begins in the port city of Harlan. Here the destinies of several people will change forever and will draw in others of particular character. Here events will set in motion that could doom all the world. An unlikely ground for the footsteps of heroes, but the unlikeliest of places can have the greatest impact on the world. For darkness stirs once more at the corners of a land becoming accustomed to peace. Some say the dead walk in the countryside of Belgaria. News from the far north whispers that the fortress of Blackfrost, built to be a garrison against the foul demons north of the Frost Spine mountains, has gone silent. But in a time of peace and rebuilding, who has time for doomsaying and raving?

Regardless, it all begins in Harlan. It is time for the fallen Kings to return. For the sleeper to awaken. And for the dragon to find his fire.

Spoiler: Rules 

Spoiler: Other Notes 

Spoiler: Notes for King Applicants! 

Spoiler: Character Sheet 

IC Thread

Character Roster
    Fe'lah played by Heson
    Elgold played by Cfavano
    Prime played by dakkagor
    Mynstro played by Eddren

The New Kings
    Reikuri played by Sigismund
    Genevieve played by AngelDellaNotte
    Aero played by SikstaSlathalin
    Nyoko played by Derpnaster
    Last edited by Atrum Daemon; 01-18-2016 at 07:07 PM.
    Hit me up on discord: Mags#3126
    I'm just easier to get a hold of there. Just lemme know who you are

Domina Noctis
    Fantasy and Scifi
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

So is this kinda like a fusion of steam punk and fantasy? Also a couple question for potential kings. Is the term limited to only male characters or is it possible to have Queen? How does one become a king? Is it something they strive for or are they chosen?

Another round of bullets hits my skin. Well, fire away
    Cause today, I won't let the shame sink in. We are bursting through
    the barricades and reaching for the sun.

We Are Warriors

Sanity's Eclipse
    Fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

Less on the steampunk side since there's very little actual steam power and more like clockwork-fantasy.

"King" is just a catch-all term that caught on, but there's nothing stopping a King Will from choosing a female. Which I guess answers your last question! King Wills choose the souls they will touch. Sometimes it is someone who strives for greatness and sometimes it is a mundane person who has not striven for such lofty heights. It has a lot to do with the will finding a compatible soul.

Domina Noctis
    Fantasy and Scifi
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Okay, thanks. Reserve me a spot. I'm thinking of making a character that is an Industrialist but am about to leave for work so I probably won't post until tomorrow. I have the luck that every time there is a rpg I want to join I notice it just before work.

Another round of bullets hits my skin. Well, fire away
    Cause today, I won't let the shame sink in. We are bursting through
    the barricades and reaching for the sun.

We Are Warriors

Sanity's Eclipse
    Fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

Consider the spot saved.

RPA Honor Guard
    Sci-fi, Fantasy, Mature
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)

I call a paladin of the Solar Order. A Grey Guard, to be specific (think, Paladin Gestapo. While they still cannot willingly commit outright evil, and must aid someone in need, they can lie, intimidate, torture, and basically do whatever is necessary in their hunt for heretics and such.)

Spoiler: Things I like 

The Last Remembrancer
    Modern times or Sci-Fi games.
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

I am thinking either one of the Kings or a sentient clockwork golem, a decomissioned soldier bot who's been around a bit. Which would you prefer?

Giga Onion
    Give me an Idea and I'll see what I can do
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

I think a King is right for me. Please reserve me a spot.

RPA Honor Guard
    Sci-fi, Fantasy, Mature
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)

I noticed there was no equipment section, so I can put it in the abilities section?

RPA Honor Guard
    Sci-fi, Fantasy, Mature
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)

Name: Elgold Shieldheart
    Race: Human

Occupation: Paladin of the Solar Order, Affiliated with the Grey Guard sect.

Powers/Abilities:

Spoiler: Abilities 

Spoiler: Spells 

Spoiler: Equipment 

Appearance:

Whenever he is not in his armor, he wears trendy clothes for the local area, to better fit in/hide.

Personality: Elgold is like man Paladins when it comes to personality. He typically acts with honor, is respectful of authority, though he does have a rebellious streak in him, which is why he's not a standard Paladin. He can be a loose cannon, but however violent he gets, his heart is always in the right place. He has a strong sense of justice, and is compassionate and helpful to those who are innocent.

Bio: Elgold was born on the road, his parents being in a caravan that was attacked by bandits. He was found by a travelling knight, being clutched in his mother's dead arms. He would have died had he not been found. His father, Sir Earnheardt, was a very kind and supportive man, who proved to be a great father. He helped Elgold grow and was very supportive of his dreams, and instilled in him a strong sense of honor and justice.

Sir Earnheardt told Elgold the story of his birth on his 18th birthday. He was upset, not at Sir Earnheardt, but at the bandits that killed his birth family. But that was not the end of his troubles. While making a yearly trip to his Lord's Estate, Sir Earnheardt found himself on the same road that, 18 years ago, Elgold was found. He was killed by bandits on that same road, and it was believed that the same bandits were involved. Elgold didn't take it well.

He also had an older sister, named Melleran, who managed the small amount of land owned by Sir Earnheardt, and through a series of mismanaged deals, lost it all. A younger sister, Anna, was only twelve when Sir Earnheardt died. Having no lands or inheritance, Melleran put her up in a nunnery. His younger brother, Sean, was with Sir Earnheardt. His body was never found, so it is believed that the bandits took him. He was six. His final sister, Ellie, was two. He lost contact with her when he left home.

Elgold, now poor, as part of his father's wishes, was sent to join an order of knights, as his squireship was finished. He received Paladin training and aced the entrance exam, his natural charisma and strong sense of justice and compassion earning him high marks among the higher ups. However, he was known to get... emotional, especially when children were involved. While this was not really considered a bad thing, he did often almost get violent during interrogations, and had to be pulled off of suspects.

His captain sent his file to a masked courier and it was sent to a fortress deep in the wilderness. A week later, a reply was given. A positive reply. Elgold was sent away, and indoctrinated into the secretive order of the Grey Guards, forever fighting evil and injustice all over the world.

RP Sample:

The chapel of the Order of the Grey Guardsmen was a scene of jubilation. An Knight-Brother has earned his final Sacrament. Though, by jubilant, it actually meant that the chanting was a bit louder than normal. For his part, Elgold was very composed, looking resplendent in his new suit of Full-Plate, buffed to a near mirror-like sheen. The time for the recitation of purpose came, the High Chaplain leading them, and the congregation responding:

"Without the Dark, there can be no Light,"
    "We have purpose"
    "Without the Lie, there can be no Truth,"
    "We have purpose"
    "Without the War, there can be no Victory,"
    "We have purpose"
    "Without Death, there can be no sacrifice,"
    "We have purpose"
    "Without Hope there can be no Future,"
    "We have purpose"
    "Without God, there is nothing,..."
    "And we would have no purpose"

"Brother Elgold, rise." The High Priest commands him, and he does so. "What is your vow?"

Elgold stands at attention and replies:

"Where there is uncertainty, I shall bring light
    Where there is doubt, I shall sow faith
    Where there is shame, I shall point atonement
    Where there is rage, I shall show its course
    My word in the soul shall be as my weapon in the field."

"Brother Elgold, What is your life?"
    "My honour is my life."
    "What is your fate?"
    "My duty is my fate."
    "What is your fear?"
    "My fear is to fail."
    "What is your reward?"
    "My salvation is my reward."
    "What is your craft?"
    "My craft is death."
    "What is your pledge?"
    "My pledge is eternal service"

"Go now, and bring Light to the Dark places"

Gilgamesh
    Last edited by Cfavano; 10-12-2015 at 12:02 AM.

Page 1 of 63 12351 ... LastLast