Thread: (Feb '16) Prompt #2 - Eternal

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Good old Fantasy, with new twists.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Default (Feb '16) Prompt #2 - Eternal

February's second prompt is the word "Eternal"

If you have any questions about how to participate in this event,
    please visit the rules thread or PM Naraness.

Happy writing!
    Spoiler: Clicky clicky -------> 

Dark Lord of the Gif
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)

Spoiler: The Eternal 
    Spoiler: Cuteness 

Wanna laugh at a drunken fool? Click Here!
    Watch me Stream or catch old streams here

3Spooky5U
    Science Fiction/Slice of Life/Fandom
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Spoiler: eternal-ish 

1001 words...
    *dies of exhaustion*
    Writing with writer's block is hazardous to your health
    Last edited by Griff; 02-13-2016 at 05:28 PM.

Griffin / Gumbo / Gambit / Griff

January Member of the Month
    Sci-Fi, Dystopian, Superhero Stuff, Fantasy, lots of fandoms
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Default My Proposal (That Eternal Moment)

Spoiler: 1023 words. My first time doing this. I hope you like it... 
    Last edited by Price; 02-12-2016 at 08:55 AM. Reason: forgot the spoiler. Whoopsie

anything that is fantasy related
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Spoiler: Eternal. 1026 Words. 
    Made by the goddess Kicksy!
    I got an even newish newer egg! Check it out!
    Spoiler: Secret Things! 

Arch-angel of Epica
    Mentioned
    303 Post(s)

Spoiler: Not so sure it's safe for work, that's why it's hidden 

June Member of the Month

I only have "favorites"
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Spoiler: Eternal - part 1 of a later story 

(to be continued some other time, when I feel up to it)
    If the gold does not stay in this world,
    then I will chase it till I find my home

Fantasy, Science-Fiction, Mature, Private
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"It's not about living forever, Jackie. The trick is living with yourself forever." ~ Capt. Teague

These fingers curl back to me like the centuries. I study them, the glimmer in my nails feigning a ghostly reflection of who I might be, or once was, or maybe will be, or...

The years roll back like an eternal tide, as though they've always done this (of course!) but we both... we both know that's not entirely true.

Everything starts somewhere. I started... one... two... three... four... five... centuries ago. Five centuries on five fingers, all curled back. (Well, four fingers and thumb, technically, and that fits. It hasn't been quite five full centuries, yet.) They used to read fingernails for portents of the future. Fingernails, lines on your hands, entrails. Seems like anything could tell you what's to come at some point in human history.

When you're "immortal" everyone expects you've been around forever. Since the beginning of Time. To be honest, I don't even know if I'm truly immortal. I just haven't died. Permanently. Yet.

The breathe escapes my lips in a sigh, passing over those shiny nails like life and years...

I was originally born in 1549. I am technically English according to my birth, but my father had an Italian father (whom he referred to as "Roman") and he met my mother on a pilgrimage he was making north through the Holy Roman Empire, claiming he wanted to see the world. I learned later that he was actually escaping debt that he had owed lenders in Florence. He married her shortly after visiting Canterbury and I was born in the town of Dover, which of course is right on the south eastern part of England in the region known as Kent since the island had "regions" at the time, and still does in some ways (Hint: Google "Heptarchy"). The family was predominantly Catholic, after the Italian lineage (Rome being the seat of the Catholic Church as it had been for centuries before), so understandably, things were a bit strained when King Henry Tudor the VIII, decided he was forming his own church (which my father considered wholly blasphemous). That became the Church of England, which, in true Church fashion, proceeded to take all of the lands that belonged to the one "true" Church. (When Churches attack, the medieval edition.) When Mary (yes, the one historians call 'Bloody') died in 1558, my father demanded that we move from the country to the mainland when Elizabeth took the throne. I was just 9 years old at the time.

You might ask, "If you moved to Italy, and lived there, how come you don't speak and write Italian?" Turns out that when we sailed across the channel into Calais, my father had apparently encountered a traveling merchant who had connections with his lenders back in Florence. We were there but a few days before he was assaulted in a struggle in the middle of the night at the inn in which we were staying, the White Carriage (no it's not there anymore). We were on the second floor, and my mother pushed me out the window when there was banging and shouting at the door. I broke my ankle in the fall, and never saw my original parents again after that night (I've pretended to have others since then). I suppose they took my mother too, because I never saw her afterwards. I only learned of the circumstances many years later when I came to research the whole matter and traced my father's name back to Florence.

Of course, it wasn't long before an urchin like myself was picked up and put into an orphanage. I passed through two families in the course of six years before I finally found a couple to take me in when I was nearly sixteen. You might ask, "If you were in France, how come you didn't learn French?" Well, if you look it up, (again, avail yourself of the wisdom of this Internet thing you people use nowadays for all of your knowledge) you'll soon discover that Calais was populated almost entirely by English people who spoke English at that point in time, and so I never had to really learn anything else. My third family was the Grays, Thomas and Jean. Thomas was a lawyer, and Jean did what women did at that time and embroidered. They happened to live in London, but were visiting in Calais, so I was taken there where I was put to work in a clerk's apprenticeship; it was more printing and type setting manual labor than anything. I worked as an apprentice until I was 21, when I decided I couldn't stand either London, the drudgery of printing, or my foster parents anymore. There seemed to be little future in remaining in a clerkship, beyond making enough money to survive, put food in my belly, and clothes on my back. So I set out on my own sort of pilgrimage, to see the world beyond London walls. That was in the autumn of 1569, before winter struck, which seemed to me at the time as good a reason as any to journey south into the Continent.

Everything then was about Houses (Royal Families) and the Reformation/Schism. Habsburgs, Bourbans, and Tudors. Protestants and Catholics. The Spanish were Catholics, the English, under Elizabeth had once again embraced the Church of England after that brief liaison with Catholicism under Mary, and the Dutch were being as feisty as ever, fighting for the most secular system the world had ever known, giving Spain, the Holy Roman Empire (which was really ruled by Spain and Rome) and Catholics in general lasting migraines for the better part of the century (much moreso than England ever did, though the fact that both the Dutch and English decided they weren't going to pretend to be friendly to the Spanish anymore really set things in motion). Officially, I pledged myself a Catholic when I traveled down through France, and told people I was on a pilgrimage to Rome, of all places (which was, in a sense, true!) but the conspiring Huguenots (particularly the Calvinists) appealed to my young sense of rebellion. Things got dicey though in 1572, leading up to the St. Batholomew's Day Massacre, and I had departed for regions of southern France, crossing into northern Italy when I had got word of the events that transpired. It was dangerous business being a Protestant; fun, but dangerous. I had picked up various jobs off my clerkship experience which put me under the authority of more than one Cardinal, Bishop, Abbot, or Deacon, so it was in my best interest to support the Church on many occasions, but that didn't stop me from sabotaging daily activities like the pressing and production of various notes, writs, and summons, which gummed up the works and forced entire reams of documents to be redone. I made off with a number of these documents to the underground gatherings of the Huguenots which pleased them utterly.

As I said before, however, the situation was becoming dangerous, and when I was 23, in late 1572, I headed south to Florence, where I picked up the pieces of the trail left behind by my original parents, and in particular, my father. Before I would leave, I would be introduced to a new kind of society in the catacombs of that city....

But that's another story for another time.

Praise and credit goes to the lovely and talented Karma
    Spoiler: Commentary