Page 7 of 68 FirstFirst ... 5678957 ... LastLast

Thread: Cold Hands, War[m] Heart [Namingtoohard & Fanatasia]

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Aine shifted to study the man, as her shoulders rolled in a shrug. "I would have preferred to be warned." She murmured, moving to study the sky as she walked. Her features tumbled from the heavens, onto a small being that was settled on the ground, drawing in the dirt; tears drying on the child's cheeks.

The woman knelt to pull the child into her hold, bouncing her gently as she inquired, "Where's the orphan-mistress, Ledora?" The small girl peered upward silently, shaking her head; indicating she did not know. The orphanage was a place the princess frequented often enough, and quietly she murmured, "I see. Well, why don't you come home with me tonight, and we'll get you cleaned up, dressed in something nice..." The girl was a little older then three years old; perhaps four. As the child consented, the princess held her close and continued to walk.

"It didn't have to come to this," she murmured. "Things could have gone as they were intended." She was bitter, as she hugged the toddler and walked onwards, trying to get as far from the prince as he could safely allow.

Sorei lagged behind as well, murmuring, "Perhaps I should have told her something before..."

As the princess and her entourage reached the castle gates, and entered, the gates would be closed tightly behind them. Aine had sat down Ledora, and led her by her hand, stating, "I bet you, we have a room somewhere in this castle that's suited for you." She'd lean to offer a soft smile, "So you can choose, any room you desire, and we'll make it up for you tonight."

She'd move to release the child to a maid, "Go pick your room out, then. Pick a nice outfit out as well," she added, waving after the child. Her gaze flickered to the prince, and she stated, "We should discuss things, then. Perhaps over lunch."

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

The prince bit his tongue as Aine finally responded, saying that she would've appreciated a warning. Personally, he hadn't even known if he would be able to trust the princess, even up to this point. Sorei neglecting to inform her, though...that was a different matter entirely. He stayed silent as she dealt with the child that crossed their path, though, watching wordlessly, and maintaining his distance as she tried to speed up to get away from the two of them. Instead, he would simply glance across at Sorei as she spoke.

"If you had, she might've tried to stop you. Things could've ended up much more poorly" he pointed out, in an equally soft voice. It took all of his self-control to avoid pointing out to the princess that things going as planned would have ended with her dead and he himself imprisoned, but somehow he didn't think such a comment was appropriate with the child around, so he held off for the time being.

Eventually, he and Sorei would finally catch up with the princess, when she stopped outside the castle gates to address the child again. Once again, the prince would wait patiently as she addressed the little kid, content to let Aine take things at her own pace for now with how much undue stress they had already placed on the girl. As she announced that they might as well discuss things over lunch, he gave a quick nod of confirmation.

"As you wish" he remarked simply, bowing his head a little as he acknowledged her request. There was little point adding anything further, given that any matter of substance could simply wait until said meeting. "Shall we meet in the war room again, then?" He offered simply, before pausing briefly to glance back over his shoulder, down the way they had come. There was still no sign of Fiora yet - he would be proceeding alone for now, it seemed.

The prince would simply wait patiently as the princess gave her verdict on where they would meet, before heading straight into the castle. He would make a brief detour to his room, where the prince would take a few brief moments to write a letter for home - one briefly describing the details of what had taken place. Better they hear it from him than anyone else. Afterwards, the prince would make his way to where they had decided to eat, only to encounter one of his men - carrying he bag containing the crown he had left behind at the arena. It had slipped the prince's mind completely, and he thanked the man before proceeding inside and helping himself to a seat

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Aine nodded. "War room is fine." She disappeared into the castle, to her room, changing into a lighter garment--a clean garment. This dress was long; dragging the ground as she walked, though equally sheer as the first. Her feet were bare, now, and her hair freed from the braids.

She entered the war room, bowing her head. The room was empty, aside from the prince. Sorei had been sent to the physician. As she settled into her own seat, she gazed at the meal prepared, and set before her. She did not glance at the prince, as she picked up her utensil, and began to eat, opting to let him state the first word.

After a few minutes in silence, however, she spoke, her voice quiet. "What are we doing now?" She leaned back in her chair, arms crisscrossing her chest. "Marrying? Are you taking Sinder by force?" Her tone was more inquisitive then accusatory. "Did you know Sorei was going to do this?"

That last question is where she sounded accusatory; and fell silent, to wait an answer.

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Once he was seated, the prince would eye the food that had been laid out for a moment, but he made no move to reach for his utensils or anything else in the room. He set the bag containing the crown down on the table just beside him, not in a position of immediate importance, but well within reach if it proved necessary. He would eye the princess in silence for a moment, before letting out a soft sigh as she spoke up, accusing him of this plot all along.

"I hardly think I could take the kingdom of Sinder by force with only thirty men, even with my own powers thrown into the fray. Similarly, I only learned of Sorei's plot in the carriage on the way down to the tournament grounds" he would open, trying to stay calm as he refuted her accusations. Slowly, the man wiuld rest both of his forearms on the table, knitting his fingers together in front of him.

"As for our marriage pact, that decision remains with you, now that your father no longer has the power to enforce it. Of course, I suggest you keep in mind what Sorei said about the noble who will take the throne by Sinder customs otherwise" he added, eyes narrowing a little. The prince still had his own reasons to push for this marriage to go through, after all, regardless of the outcome of this little coup.

"I brought armoured and trains guards with me because I had planned something similar, should your father overstep his boundaries. When I declared yesterday that you had all the protections of a Nevian princess, I was planning on using it as grounds to arrest him at a later date should he overstep his boundaries. My soldiers were brought simply as a means of enforcing that plan"

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Aine narrowed her eyes. He had a good point. "You're a much better choice then him." She murmured, moving to claim another bite of her food. She'd study the man quietly, before shifting, pushing her meal away from her, to rest her arms against the table.

"I want to see Neve someday." She stated, as she crossed her arms, and settled into her chair. "How will you deal with my father?" She despised death; even for her father. In a perfect world, Aine would never have to raise a harsh hand. However, this world was far from perfect.

The woman paused, as a maid opened the door to reveal a crying child; Ledora. The small girl had been bathed, and redressed, and as soon as the door was open, she rushed into the room. The maid began to apologize, though Aine waved her off, and scooped up the child, inquiring, "All the tears, little one?"

The child babbled something, and Aine listened, tipping her head. "Whoever said you would never get adopted?" She'd shift the child, "We'll go see the orphan-mistress tomorrow morning." She stated, as she offered the child what was left of her meal.

"When do you want the wedding? And where?" She paused, watching the child eat, before stating, "It might be best to have a public wedding."

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

"How kind of you" the prince muttered somewhat dryly to himself, though it was hard for him to be too sour, given that neither of them had picked this marriage. He could hardly hold it against the princess, given the circumstances. Instead of dwelling on that, he decided to simply push ahead with the next topic of business.

"Doubtless, if this was back in Neve, your father would've been executed outright. Not for any wrongdoing, just because it removes the threat of him trying anything against us later" he opened, before hesitating a little. For a second, the prince tapped the fingers of his ungloved left hand against the surface of the desk, before quickly pausing as he realised that the action was causing frost of start accumulating on the surface.

"Somehow, that doesn't feel right here. Perhaps we just hold him captive for now, and maybe exile him at a later date when things are a little more stable?" He suggested, before a small smile flickered across his face at the idea of returning home. "A trip back to Neve would be a less permanent affair now, but I would be more than happy to show you our giant turtles and underground springs" he would answer, a small smile flickering across his face as he tried to bring a bit of joy back into the prospect.

He would pause briefly as the young child they had run into before once again made her appearance, crying once more. Again, the prince would fall silent, simply letting the princess care for her as she did best. He couldn't hear what it was she said to the child, but he did manage to catch her response. A small smile flickered across his lips, and the prince would help himself to a piece of fruit, as his own little way of encouraging the child that it was okay to go ahead and do so.

He would eat in silence for a few moments, before swallowing quickly as the princess addressed the topic of their wedding. "I agree, a public wedding would indeed be best. I feel that the general populace would be more agreeable to one that follows your wedding customs, too. Somehow I don't think the exchange of heavy wooden cloaks bearing house seals would be appropriate here" he answered simply, giving a bit of a casual shrug. Neve customs generally involved such an exchange as a symbolic way of showing the joining of two families, followed by two different parties - one in traditional wedding style, and a beggar's feast, where the poor were invited and treated as kings for a day. A way of trying to make sure the poor were invested in their nation's politics.

"On the topic of your father, I should go...awaken him once we are done here. The sooner I do, the lesser chance of there being any adverse effects" the prince would add after a moment, throwing a glance in th child's direction, and choosing his words carefully to account for her presence. "If you so wish, you are welcome to join me...though I can't say I would blame you if you decided that you didn't want to see him in such a state" he added, throwing another cautious glance towards the kid. Hopefully Aine would grasp his full meaning regardless, though

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Aine listened thoughtfully, shrugging quietly. "Perhaps it'd be what he deserves. The people here, they don't believe in quick deaths." She'd pause, a wry grin claiming her features briefly. "I'd love to see the turtles and the underground springs!" She'd chirp, grinning.

She'd chuckle softly as the child ate, before stating, "Our wedding customs, are, uhm." Aine stared quietly across the table, trying to think how to word it; the words she truly needed. With a thought, she moved to claim a large, leatherbound book from one side of the table, shoving it to the center of the table, to flip it open. "Generations of Sinderian wedding customs are in here."

These customs ranged from marrying naked, to having an audience to consummating, to sacrificial rituals and marrying on the day of someone's death. So forth, and so on. The most current, the one her mother and father had done, had been barbaric. The last king had fallen to the usurped king's hand; and a priest had drawn symbols across the bridegroom and bride's foreheads, before tying their hands together, and then to a stake--in the center of town. For two days.

"So I..." She gazed silently at the book. "Think it could be best to do customs from both. After all, we're supposed to be uniting the nations. Or we could create our own compromise of a ceremony." She stated, shifting Ledora in her lap.

"...I'll come with you." She murmured, shifting to whisper to the child, "How about I find you a maid to play with, hmm?" She'd grin as the girl accepted the offer to play, eagerly, and called for a maid. The woman glanced sideways at the child, before pulling her along. "I want to see how it happens," she stated, standing; her hands clasping behind her back.

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

The prince would watch on curiously as the prince grabbed a larg book sitting nearby, watching on from his seat as she placed it down in the middle of the table. Half-rising out of his chair, he would lean across, tilting his head curiously as he tried to catch a glimpse of what was displayed within. After a few seconds of reading, Leith would purse his lips. He was quickly starting to see just why it was that Aine had struggled to describe what their wedding ceremonies were like. A late night swim together was one thing, but that level of exhibitionism was another altogether. Most of those rituals would seem outright primitive to his family back home.

"....you're right, perhaps a mixed precession would be best" he would mutter softly in the way of a reply, scrunching up his face a little. As it was decided that Aine would come with him, he would give a small nod, before reaching out to grab another piece of fruit quickly as he rose, in place of a proper meal. He would bite into it gently as he watched the princess deal with the child, summoning a maid to take care of her. As soon as the little girl was taken care of, he would turn his attention to the princess once more.

"Shall we?" He would ask simply, gesturing towards the doorway with his free hand, before stepping out into the hallway beyond. They would walk in silence for a moment, before coming across one of his own guardsmen, still dressed in plate. Naturally, the prince would immediately stop him. "Have you found a place for the king yet?" He asked, to which the man replied with a curt nod.

"Take us to him" he ordered simply, eliciting a small bow and a muttering of "yes sir" from the man. Slowly, he would begin the process of leading the prince towards the castle's own dungeons. While they moved, though, he would turn his attention back to the princess, seeking to keep the mood light for as long as he possibly could with a bit more discussion.

"So, back on the topic of the wedding - perhaps we make it a simple matter of celebration, then. A public affair, with a quick display of ceremony from each side, with, say...the exchange of cloaks, and the tying of arms" he suggested, picking out the most common Neve trait, and one of the Sinder ones he had read in the book that he didn't find quite as detestable as the others. "After that, a public feast, some music, maybe a bit of feverish dancing...something nice and open, where the peasants are invited to mingle with the nobles, and all treated as equals" he suggested simply.

"It would let you uphold your moniker, and help me and mine get acquainted with the public. The only problem would be security in such a casual venue, which normally would not bother me too much, but if any of the other nobles do start plotting against us..." He muttered, trailing off a little. Perhaps it wasn't the best idea after all, now that he thought about it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Aine would offer a wry grin as she nodded, standing, "Lets." She would stay silent when the prince addressed the guard, nodding quietly when tthe man bowed to tehm and began to lead them.

Aine grinned wryly. "I like that. But I really do not think in all of Sinder there is a wedding gown. The one thing that stayed the same was the fact the people marry in the nude." She stated, rolling her shoulders. "I'd need time to have a seamstress come in."

She nodded in agreement. "I think a feast, and all of that sounds lovely." She stated, closing her eyes for a moment, snickering at his statement.

"Well, I don't really think of it as a moniker. I really want to do good for the peasants." When he spoke of security, she scoffed. "They can pledge their loyalty to us--formally. And we can double security, couldn't we? Your men would be a good help at that."

- - - Updated - - -

Aine would offer a wry grin as she nodded, standing, "Lets." She would stay silent when the prince addressed the guard, nodding quietly when tthe man bowed to tehm and began to lead them.

Aine grinned wryly. "I like that. But I really do not think in all of Sinder there is a wedding gown. The one thing that stayed the same was the fact the people marry in the nude." She stated, rolling her shoulders. "I'd need time to have a seamstress come in."

She nodded in agreement. "I think a feast, and all of that sounds lovely." She stated, closing her eyes for a moment, snickering at his statement.

"Well, I don't really think of it as a moniker. I really want to do good for the peasants." When he spoke of security, she scoffed. "They can pledge their loyalty to us--formally. And we can double security, couldn't we? Your men would be a good help at that."

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

In a rare slip, the prince winced slightly at the mention of the fact that their people always seemed to marry in the nude, regardless of what form the ceremony itself seemed to take. His feelings on the issue were undoubtedly mixed. Something like that was definitely outside his comfort zone, and it made the idea of a public wedding seem all the more horrendous. That said, Aine seemed okay with the idea of breaking tradition, which surprised him a little. "Would the public be okay with breaking tradition like that?" He questioned in a soft voice, honestly not sure which way he wanted the answer to go.

"As for security, we can try, but...it wouldn't take much if someone as truly determined. One peasant approaching you for a dance or otherwise would be enough for him to try and slip a knife between your ribs" the prince answered, still frowning. He disliked that thought just as much as getting married completely naked in front of a large portion of the town's population, if not more.

Still, even as he talked, they arrived at the dungeons attached to the palace, and the guard quickly pushed open the door for them both. "Head down the row on your left, my lords, and he'll be in the second cell from the end" he instructed them. The prince gave him a satisfactory nod, and quickly led the way, following his directions to the letter. They quickly came across the cell, within which stood the ice sculpture that was Aine's father. With it, another guardsman stood by the locked door. He, too, bowed as they approached.

The prince would pay m no mind, slowing to a halt in front of the door. He would slowly glance across at Aine, to see how she was reacting to all this, before speaking up again; tone soft and gentle. "Before I do this, Aine...it wouldn't surprise me if he starts yelling any sort of insults or profanity as soon as he registers his surroundings. Anything he can do to try and hurt you, or convince you to change your mind. Best steel yourself for the worst" he muttered simply, turning to face the princess properly and watching her with something akin to genuine concern. He was worried about what the result might be, and as such, would wait for Aine's confirmation to proceed.

Page 7 of 68 FirstFirst ... 5678957 ... LastLast