Page 57 of 68 FirstFirst ... 75556575859 ... LastLast

Thread: Cold Hands, War[m] Heart [Namingtoohard & Fanatasia]

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

The woman would let out a soft grunt of annoyance as the staff in Sorei's hands collided with her shoulder, sending the girl stumbling forward a step. Was she really so off her game as to be getting caught out already? That said, her lover was certainly more skilled than the brand of footsoldiers that she normally found herself up against. She was quick to remind herself of that fact, before turning and confronting Sorei again.

Without a word, she would lunge forward, bringing the bo staff down with both hands, lashing out. She had the restraint to avoid targeting the girl's head, instead swinging at her collar. The attack was more or less a feint, though, and was followed by a low-cutting sweep at her feet made with the opposite end.

When they were finally clear of the thicker part of the city, the prince would turn back to his wife, scowling briefly as she questioned whether or not he had a fever. "Cold? The girl is practically burning me here. I doubt I need to remind you that I'm the one who is holding her" he would answer simply, almost unable to believe your ears.

"If anyone is running a fever, it's her. Here. See for yourself" the prince would answer simply, reaching for one of her hands. Naturally, he would quickly guide it up to grasp one of Yelena's little hands, thinking that she would see the truth of the matter as soon as she tried again. "the baby was just sitting in the middle of a fire. How could she be anything else?"

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Sorei grinned, however as her lover lunged toward her, lashing out, she moved to step to the side only to have her feet swept from underneath her, and the breath knocked from her lungs. She laughed, releasing her bo staff to reach out and pull Fiora down by a hand. "What was that, revenge?" She teased, pressing a kiss to the woman's knuckles.

"Ready to run?" She offered, as she pushed herself up, and slipped an arm around Fiora's midsection, fingers brushing across that barely-there bump.

Aine scoffed. However she let her husband guide her to grasp the child's hands. However, the man would see that upon touching her mother, ice began to spread once more. "Leith. She's freezing. I'm telling you--she's cold." Aine stated, firmly, as she brushed a hand against the infants palm. By the time she released the child, the light coating of ice was melting due to her own higher-temperature.

"I'm telling you, you've got to be ill to feel that as hot." However, as Aine spoke, Leith's shirt would start to smoke--the baby was indeed catching her father on fire.

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

"I suppose you could say that. You didn't expect it to be that easy, did you?" The girl would answer simply, a soft chuckle escaping her as she watched Sorei climb back to her feet. Against anybody else then Fiora would likely have decided to press her advantage, but she was inclined to look upon her opponent somewhat favourably this time. Instead she would simply grin as her lover stepped close, offering to move on to the next stage. A gentle brush of the hand followed, before a reluctant parting as Fiora strolled back over to the weapon rack to return her staff.

"Aye, aye. Let's hurry up and get a move-on. Do try and keep up, won't you?" The girl would tease simply, leaning in for a quick peck, before finally pulling away. She would jog backwards a few steps, before pausing slightly, bounding from one heel to the other in anticipation. "Just remember, there's no excuse for losing now, while I'm pregnant" she would add hastily. Just like that, then, the girl was off. She would turn on her heels and break out into an accelerated jog, steadily picking up speed. The guard had no specific destination in mind as she ran - the desire to push herself and swear was enough, and that familiar burn at the end proved its own sort of sweet satisfaction.

Rather predictably, Leith was distracted from their petty little argument as his clothes began to smoulder - the heat becoming noticeably uncomfortable now. Swearing none too quietly, the prince would hold their baby out away from his body with both hands, gripping her under the armpits, just to stop his garb from outright bursting into flame. At this point, he would throw his wife a rather pointed look.

"I'm sorry, you were saying?" He questioned simply, a wry smile on his face. Of course, this was somewhat worrying in its own right, and his hands quickly began to overheat from the extended contact as much as his clothes. "I really hope this is just a temporary thing, or that she at least has some control over it. Not being able to hold our own child for an extended period of time doesn't sound very...pleasant" he answered, frowning briefly as he forgot his smug little success and turned his attention back to the matter at hand.

"In any case, are you alright? You must be the one burning hot to feel Yelena as cold...but then, it didn't feel that way when I grabbed your arm earlier" he mused, partially thinking out loud to himself at that point

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Sorei grinned, watching the woman as she watched her. The woman tipped her head and snorted--she allowed her girl to get a headstart, before she started at a jog. She caught up easily, though, flashing a grin.

"You're not losing me that fast, Fia."

Aine scowled as she reached out for their child. She'd claim the little girl, and whisper in the child's ear, "You cannot burn your papa, little one." Despite the fact ice was travelling across her bare arms, she held the girl close and murmured, "Do you understand?"

Of course, the little girl did not. Aine was unaware that children from the town had found their way to her, and were watching her with such hopeful expressions. "As quickly as a fire starts, and spreads, it can be put out." Aine's voice was gentle, as she moved to settle the toddler on the ground, the ice evaporating from her skin.

She claimed the child's hands, she brought them together, and stated: "You must never let your fire be put out; and you must never let it spread too far." As she brought the child's hands apart, a small fireball had begun to form, and Yelena giggled softly, watching with wide, wide eyes.

The child's gaze never left the fireball, and neither did the towns-children's. "Look!" One called, "I thought she didn't have fire." An older said.

Aine shifted gently, leaning to stretch her back. "Clap your hands, darling." As the princess clapped her little hands, laughing shrilly, the flames were put out and her skin would feel cold to both of her parents.

By this point, the towns-children were trying to get closer to the queen, and as one of the younger ones touched her shoulder, bumped into her, she shifted to brush her fingers against the child's hands. "Hi. I'm Aine."

The child appeared baffled; and she whispered her name, "Ellae."

"Well, hi, Ellae. What are you up too?" She inquired, listening to Yelena as the child giggled over the fact she could make fireballs in between her hands. However, midway through, one of her fireballs would freeze solid.

"Just... Just watchin' you, miss. I don't have fire. Nobody here does."

Aine's head tilted, and she inquired, "You've not got a teacher? Do your parents not...?"

"No, miss. Nobody."

The queen pursed her lips, and claimed the child's hands, musing, "It's an anomaly to live without flame, child. Let's see if we can find it."

She would instruct the child, much as she had Yelena, and she smiled as she felt a wave of heat cross her face. "Everyone has fire."

"But you don't."

Aine fell into a brief silence, before she stated, "Well, see, my hair is this bright, bright... red, right? All of my flame went into my hair."

"Is that why we're all dark-haired?"

"Exactly. Too much flame would be directed to your hair, otherwise."

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

With a quick glance back over her shoulder, Fiora would grin smugly as Sorei quickly put on a burst of speed. Sprinting about like this was entirely different to her routine cardio training, and brought back memories of being chased about during her childhood. The exhilaration was enough to push her just that little bit further.

"Of course not. It'd be no fun if you wussed out this early" she answered with a soft laugh, unable to help herself. Still, as they reached the edges of the training ground, a bit of a cheeky grin flickered across her features. Time to make this a little more interesting

Suddenly, as they passed one of the open doorways, Fiora would take a sudden turn - darting back into the main building. She would sprint along the narrow hallway, not slowing in the slightest, even as two servants stepped into view. The two let out a cry of alarm, throwing themselves aside just in time for Fiora to barrel past, a giggle on her lips. She couldn't help but wonder if she could convince Sorei to run through the council room with her.

Leith would hand their child off to his wife gladly, quite content to let her take the lead in this matter, where she had infinitely more experience. He would cross both of his arms across his chest, watching on idly as she tried to instruct their little girl; a smile upon his lips. Of course, the situation changed somewhat drastically when the other children arrived, butting into their otherwise private conversation.

He hesitated briefly as the child ignorantly stumbled onto what he knew was a sensitive topic, but his wife masked it well, slipping an excuse in easily, almost without missing a beat. He would step close then, moving to place a hand on her shoulder gently - just enough to draw her attention.

"Mm. It seems somewhat worrying, to think so many kids are growing up ignorant of their gift. Maybe we need to arrange to send an instructor out here or something" he offered simply. It seems a weak suggestion, but t was better than nothing. Sinder on a whole would likely suffer if there were less users in each generation, and who knew how many villiages this was happening in?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Sorei grumbled as Fiora took a turn, and she jogged after the woman; though she was more respectful of the servants going about their duties. "Fiora!" She shouted, as she tried to catch up to her, once they'd hit a path without too many people. "What are you doing?"

Aine shifted as her husband spoke, shaking her head slowly. "We don't have teachers. In the capitol, there were never teachers because I never had fire." She moved to stand, "But I can teach them before we have to leave..." She mused, listening to Yelena.

The child was going between fire and ice, idly. The other children were watching her in awe; though many of them also watched the little girl Aine had been helping, as flames burst to life between her fingers. "Look! Ididit! I did it!" Aine giggled softly, and leaned against her husband, "See? I can teach. It's all about emotions."

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

"Making things interesting!" Fiora would call back in the way of a reply to Sorei's protests, enjoyment shining throughout clearly in her tone. She was unable to help but let out another laugh as her partner closed the distance between the two of them, but the mischievous guard had no intentions of stopping just yet. As they approached one of the meeting rooms, she would shoulder-barge the door open without missing a beat, hair streaming behind her. She paid no mind to those inside as they squeaked and scrambled to get out the way, placing one hand on the table and vaulting it in a single bound without slowing. Out of the corner of her eye, she could've sworn that she saw one of the nobles inside til his chair back and fall.

She would burst out the other side, still grinning proudly, before quickly slowing to a stop. When Sorei caught up with her, the smile had vanished from Fiora's face, and she had resorted to reaching out to lean against one of the nearby walls. She had one hand clasped over her stomach, and the other hovered near her mouth uncertainly. "...okay, definitely regretting breakfast right about now" she offered meekly. Thankfully the girl had managed to avoid hurling...well, so far, at least.

"I don't know if that will be enough" the prince muttered softly, a frown gracing his features as he surveyed the kids. As one of them glanced up at him, Leith quickly forced a calm and reassuring smile, not wanting to concern them with matters much larger than just the concerns of their little village. When his wife leaned against him, the prince made a point of sliding an arm around her, before leaning in close. He would plant a quick peck on her cheek quickly, before leaning in to mutter his true concerns to his wife.

"If the next generation doesn't learn to use their abilities properly, then Sinder is only going to get weaker and weaker in the coming years. What if even less children learn to use their abilities after these ones grow up, and even less again after that?" He offered simply; the words were quiet, spoken in a low tone, but the kids were excited by this new discovery. Hopefully they would be much too occupied amusing themselves with their newfound powers, instead of listening to two royals and their concerns. "If war comes to Sinder again, then the nation as a whole will be sitting ducks. We need to change that before it's too late. Helping these children out is a good start, but what about every over fringe village where this might be happening?"

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Sorei laughed, and slowed as she watched the woman vaulted over the table. She grinned wryly, following her outside. However, a frown claimed her lips as she moved to the woman, worry clear on her face. However, as Fiora explained, Sorei chuckled softly and slipped an arm around her. "Let's get some water," she requested, of one of the maids who had made their way to the women. The woman leaned to pull Fiora against her, shifting to claim the other girl--bridal style. She was gentle as she carried the other girl, stopping a few yards down as they came to a bench. Situating Fiora, she'd caress the woman's face and murmur, "Don't regret breakfast, hm? It's a good thing. Means that little warrior's growing strong," she crooned.

As the maid returned with water, and a nausea tonic, Sorei's attention was claimed by a guard; a striking young man, who had turned the head of most of the women in the kingdom. Just not the woman he wanted. She whispered a soft 'thank you', to the maid, and tousled Fiora's hair before stepping a few feet away to talk to this man. "What do you need, Starke?"

"Well... you know the festivities are happening soon... And I was wondering if you were going." He was a confident man with most women; but this blue-eyed beauty was not most women.

"I will be attending, yes."

"Would you come with me?"

"I'm sorry?"

"I'll make a good husband." He blurted, loud enough to draw a stare from the maid tending to Fiora.

Sorei's eyes widened, before she burst out laughing. "Oh, oh god. No, no, oh god." She covered her mouth, shaking her head. Composing herself, she spoke: "I've no need for a husband. Or, really, any man. Thank you for considering, however."

This caused the young man to snarl, "Well seein' as your girl's knocked up, figured you'd be on the market. Figured if she liked men, so did you." He flashed a rather ugly look towards Fiora, as he reached to catch Sorei's wrist; the girl had been turning to leave.

Sorei tensed, and all laughter fell from her face. She could see, from the corner of her eye, Sinderian guards and Neveian alike, watching them closely. The maid was still tending to Fiora, the best she could. And quietly, in a low tone, Sorei spoke: "You need to release me. And you need to do it before she gets off that bench."

"I'm not afraid of her."

Leith had a point, however, Aine had a secret. She inhaled deeply, and brought her hands so that they were cupped together. Her eyes had closed, and within a minute, a small flame had come to life within her palms. "It's not just the fringes, it's the entire nation. When I was... born, and did not show flame by the age of six, my father decreed that nobody could use fire around me." Aine's hands released one another, and she twirled small wisps of flame around her fingertips.

"My brothers, when they were alive, had flame. So the country had flame." She inhaled deeply, "But when they died, so did the fire--at least, that's what we thought..." She cleared her throat. "When I had Ledora, is when it showed up. But father had already exiled the teachers, executed laws--no flame, no disrespect to the princess. Something... in those hormones; something caused a change. But he was too deep to tell the truth--the damage was done."

The longer she held the flames, caused them; created them, Leith would notice streaks of black beginning throughout her hair. Not a grey, but a black, like the Sinderians were used too. "I wasn't lying to those children. The fire keeps my hair so red; it's... why I could never practice; never try to use it." She had caught the attention of all the children, by this point. "People would know father lied, and they would revolt."

Aine faded into silence, and clenched her hands, extinguishing the flames with the single move. "So... you see, these people do not teach their children, because they believe it is a show of disrespect. They won't admit to being fire-users; not unless we show them it is okay; tell them it is so." Her hands shoved through her hair, fingers tangling into the messy locks as she waited; certain he'd be pissed. Rightfully so, at that.

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Fiora was caught a fraction off-guard by the way Sorei swept her off her feet - quite literally, of course. She blinked in surprise a few times, but otherwise didn't resist as she awaited their arrival at whatever destination her lover had in mind. She did not object, of course - the guard was having enough trouble keeping her breakfast down as things currently stood. Thankfully the journey was relatively short, and a maid quickly arrived with a vial filled with some sort of concoction that was supposedly going to help keep her stomach in check. Making a rather aggressive grab for the thing, she removed the stopper and downed the contents almost immediately. She made a bit of a face at the bitter taste, but it would be worthwhile if it stopped her throwing up.

Several seconds passed before her stomach began to settle, and it was only then that Fiora took notice of their other guest. She hadn't caught every word of their conversation, but her expression quickly darkened into a scowl as the man reached out and grabbed Sorei's wrist when she turned to retreat. Discussion and reasoning aside, that was enough to get her hackles up - clearly her partner was being held back against her will, and that was something the guard would not stand for. Raising a hand, she quickly pushed the nurse aside, perhaps a little more roughly than she had intended. Rising to her feet, she would saunter forward a few small steps, drawing level with the rest of the group. Ignoring the man's snarky comments, she would settle for throwing a quick glance at her partner.

"This means I can hit him now, right dear?" She would question sweetly, almost innocently. Without waiting for an answer, she would turn and swing in one singular motion, throwing a stunning right hook at the man's jaw. It was hardly the best punch she had ever thrown - the girl was still a tad groggy, but it did its job. The jolt that ran up her arm as it connected was satisfying in the utmost, and she would respond by taking a moment to shake her hand out. As the man recoiled, she would simply turn to face her partner once more, expression dark this time. All hints of her sweet demeanour from earlier had vanished, and her tone was full of venom.

"You wouldn't happen to have a blade on you, would you dear? I would so very much like to borrow one. I think that our mutual friend here might start thinking a tad more clearly if I separate his lower brain from the rest of his body" she would answer simply, throwing a brief glance back across at the man - just in case he had any smart ideas about retaliating once he had recovered his composure. "I'm afraid I left my own behind, after all your insistence at the training grounds earlier"

Naturally, Leith's eyes widened at the sight of his wife producing a flame - seemingly doing so of her own will, and without any sort of outside interference. The simple implications of this one little action were staggering. What had happened to the stories of the supposedly flameless princess? The simple knowledge that she now could use fire, and had been able to do so for some time, would have changed so much had it been public knowledge earlier. Irregardless of that fact, another voice sprung up, whispering in the back of his mind. Just why had she kept this knowledge from he himself for so long?

"Well, we'd best fix this as soon as possible. Even if we have to tell them that the change came after the birth of Yelena, to keep your father's secret" he answered simply. The man's voice was calm, emotionless, as was his expression. Part of him wanted to yell, to question her, but there was one thing keeping him from doing so - one given away by the flicker of his eyes. A brief glance at the children gathered around, and their own little baby girl. He wouldn't yell in front of them all. For now he would suppress his emotions, be as cold as ice, until they really had a chance to talk this over properly. Without an audience.

"Teach the children here. Let their parents know they are free to use fire as they wish again. When we get back to the Capitol, we'll issue an official statement" he started simply. The man would step forward then, gathering Yelena up in his arms briefly. He would glance down at her fondly for a moment, before glancing back up at his wife again. "And...we'll discuss this properly later" he would add, before turning and striding away with the child in his arms - back towards the centre of the town, where the bonfire was being constructed.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Sorei winced as the man went down. She grinned softly, slipping a hand to her sheath, holding the dagger out. "Mm. Aren't you a doll," she whispered, stepping forward slowly to set the blade in her lover's hand. She'd lean to press a kiss to the woman's ear, murmuring, "I'm guessing that potion helped?" She'd brush a hand across the other woman's stomach, before releasing her entirely.

The fallen guard shouted obscenities, and as he aimed a kick towards Fiora, Sorei stepped forward, fingers curving against the tread of the man's boot, before she gave a vicious yank. "Cut his face too, darling." The man had stepped out of line; trying to kick a pregnant woman.

No other guard planned to step in; to interfere. Everything that was happening was sanctioned; while not in written word, the advisor allowing it was sanction enough.

Aine was silent, squinting to watch the blur, that she assumed was her husband, scoop up another blur--assumed to be Yelena. And then, he'd gone. She shoved her hands through her hair, and sighed quietly.

She clicked her tongue; and Oron would leave his meal, the leg of a lamb dangling from his maw. He'd nudge against his mistress, and once her fingers had settled onto the large, metal harness he wore, he would start walking, eating as he went.

She didn't give the beast a destination, she just walked. However, the dragon would return to the bonfire, to his discarded feed, and as he began to crunch noisily once again, Aine released the harness and squinted around her; trying to locate the fire. Then, she made her way to sit beside of it, gazing into the orange blurs.

Page 57 of 68 FirstFirst ... 75556575859 ... LastLast