Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Mathies - {OOC}

The bumbliest of bumbling bees
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    All sorts, I'm open like that.
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Default The Mathies - {OOC}

(Note: The premise of this RP has been rebooted and re-tried a few times now, so if it looks familiar that's why. But this particular iteration bares differences from its predecessors)

The Mathies

' O the summer time is comin,
    And the leaves are sweetly turnin'
    And the wild mountain thyme
    Blooms around the purple heather
    Will you go, Lassie go?

And we'll all go together
    To pull wild mountain thyme
    All around the bloomin' heather
    Will ye go, Lassie go? '

The Scottish Highlands

450 AD

Numerous clans, all of old and ancient legend and tradition, lay scattered across Scotland's harsh earth. Fearful rumours of strange magics from the South, and fiery invaders from abroad spread terror like a wildfire across the land.

The numerous clans of the highlands wage a constant war for dominance and supremacy, a fierce sense of pride and competition running strong in each and every clansman. The clans of the Highlands became hostile and fearful of one another. Raids and sackings continued to grow in numbers, with clans ruthlessly destroying each other, desperate to rule over the Land solely themselves.

With so much brutality and anger in the air, the old ways of magic and celtic mysticism started to fade into obscurity. Old traditions and rituals were, by some, completely forgotten. Few clans still believed and knew of what once was.

Except, it seems for one...

Clan Mathie of the Eastern Highlands.
    *Somewhere near where Edinburgh is today*

One of the largest Clans within Scotland.

With a holding containing a few hundred villagers, and acres of regulated territory surrounding the main village, the Mathie clan are a force to be reckoned with. These days, their friends are few in numbers, and more and more enemies are born by the day.

The clan is governed by the oldest residing Mathie, a bear of a man known as Duncan. He rules with a fair hand, though at times he can be more than a bit impulsive. Said recklessness has led to the clans increasing isolation from its few remaining allies, and more and more sons being put to rest in the name of war.

The Mathie Clan may be one of the biggest, but when multiple enemies begin to rise, there isn't much to be done.

The General Plot
    (And Whatnot)

We will be playing as Duncans children along with a few other clan members, if you so particularly wish. Without spoiling too much, a large tragedy will befall the clan relatively early on within the RP. Following the events of said disaster, the remaining members will be faced with a long and difficult journey across Scotland, and even a little bit beyond that. Along the way they'll be problems and surprises that the group will have to overcome, hopefully as a rag-tag family.

Some Celtic myths and beliefs will be woven into the story, but it shan't be the main focus of the adventure. That said, while mainly most of the story while be historically accurate, I may move some particular things around for them to fit in with this little story of ours. For example, the Romans didn't invade England till quite a few years later than 450 AD, but I might create a mentioning of foreign invaders or something like that.

I'd like for the focal point to be an the relationship between the group and how it is tested and strengthened throughout their venture, that with the reactions and exploits that occur with their various encounters.

Rules

1) I'd like your input and ideas for what the siblings come across within the RP, however no godmodding straight into the IC please. If you've got an idea, just run it by me first so we can check it fits in ok and everything

2) Historical accuracy would be appreciated, and by that I mean no futuristic samurai war lords (or whatever it is you kids call them these days) roaming around Scotland like they own the place. If you need help or advice just go on ahead and ask, I don't bite... usually

3) I don't have a particular posting requirement, as I understand that it can sometimes be difficult to get posts in to an adequate length and quality. But if you wouldn't mind writing up a paragraph every two days or so that'd be just swell

4) Try and make your characters unique in some way or form, it'd be pretty dull if we just had a bunch of Scottish Gary and Mary Sues (or would that be Hamish Sues?).

5)
    Continuing on from the last rule, while we'll have a few of the actual Mathie family's members as part of the group, I'd like to keep the mix generally varied, so if too many siblings are created I'll pop a cap on that

6) I won't say your character might die, as that'd be a tad too cruel for my liking. However after the initial tragedy, there might be relatively life changing injuries and what have you, either by my own decision or yours, just lemme know

7) Following on from rule six, I haven't placed this one in the mature section as I don't think we'll get as violent as that. However there will be some fighting and somewhat more serious tones throughout the story. But nothing more than say, a family adventure film

9) Have fun... OR ELSE

Character Sheet

Name: (Something scottish sounding would be nice)

Age: (I don't really mind how old you wanna make your character, but bear in mind, it'd probably be tricky for a seventy nine year old granny to make a trek across Scotland)

Appearance: (Picture and or description, if its the latter just make it decently detailed please)

Personality: (Again, try to make your character unique someway if you could)

Other: (Anything else you'd like to say that won't quite fit anywhere else)

Other
    ( a.k.a. the other stuff I didn't know where to put)

While most of the clan sadly won't make it into the majority of the RP, I'd be more than happy if you wanted to play as some of them for a while. For example, if someone wanted to take on the mantle of Duncan, Lady Mathie, local spiritual leader, farmer, arse wiper, etc, just lemme know
    Last edited by BumblingBee; 03-03-2017 at 09:24 PM.

The last mosquito that bit me had to check into the Betty Ford clinic

2Spooky4U
    Mostly Fantasy and Parody, and some Sci Fi
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)

Ooo, historical fiction! Color me interested.

and dreadfully distinct/against the dark a tall white fountain played

Art Thread
    |Ask me stuff|My Characters

Spoiler: Quotes, sets, gamertags, things to click on 

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Name: Tam (The shortened version for the scottish variation of the name Thomas)Mathie

Appearance:
    Spoiler: Tam 

Tam's rather tall, with a lithe build to him. Of course his skin is pale, and occasionally dotted with freckles here and there. Hair is brown and rather curly, despite his attempts to tame it. His looks are supposedly handsome in a rugged sort of way. He has a gold piercing in his left ear after a rare night of drunken madness, and always seems to have the faint stubbles of a beard. He always outfits himself in basic light armour, Kilt included and his sword constantly by his side.

Personality: As the oldest of the Mathie children, Tam is in line to inherit leadership of the clan from his Father Duncan, when the old oaf eventually dies that is. Because of this, Tam's had a heavy responsibility laid upon him from a very early age. A responsibility I hasten to add, that he doesn't often take too seriously. It's almost as if he goes through phases with it in truth. One day he'll be living up to his title tremendously, leading and seeing to the people in a fair and decent manner, the next day back to drunken hunting rambles and shearing sheep in the night.

In truth, Tam's had a difficult time coming to term with his fate. He feels a need for change within the workings of the Clans, yet he is constantly told to drop such idealistic views and begin to take his duty solemnly. It's not a rare sight to see the young lord and his father quarrelling over such matters, certainly it's fair to say the two don't see eye to eye.

At all...

Despite his (at times) lack luster attitude to his fate, the burden of leadership still lies heavily on Tams shoulders. He may not act like it, but the title worries him. As of such he can at times seem more serious and sombre in his ways. But then at other times, he has been known to have quite a cheeky droll humour to him, shooting witty quips all over the place, sometimes he even flirts with the village girls if he's feeling particularly confident.

Other: He's a skilled swordsman, and any young Lord should be. That and a keen sense for hunting make him a fairly accomplished fighter.

Dark Lord of the Gif
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)

Special thanks to Hayabusa for the banner.
    I wanted to drop off some tomes to help you gain interest in the RP. Let me know if you have any questions or need help, and have fun RPing!

If you've already got a submission worked out, feel free to post it in the Roleplay of the Week Advertising scroll.

Roleplay of the Week- For more information about how to have YOUR RP knighted as Roleplay of the Week!

RPotW banner shop! If you need help summoning a banner for your roleplay, just hop in and ask one of our lovely artists for some assistance!

Staff Siggies are seen in every plane!

Roleplaying Games Directory is another means of getting your RP seen.
    Spoiler: Cuteness 

Wanna laugh at a drunken fool? Click Here!
    Watch me Stream or catch old streams here

2Spooky4U
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)

So, question for me character, does everyone have the surname of Mathie? Is everyone related in some way, or are there outsiders? I was thinking of making some distant cousin or something lol.

Art Thread

Domina Noctis
    Fantasy and Scifi
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

*brushes the dust of Tamsyn*

Name: Tamsyn Mathie

Spoiler: Appearance: 

Personality: Since she was a young child Tamsyn has always been drawn towards the mystic traditions of the clan. At the age of six she begun studying with the chief priest of the clan and by age nine she had been initiated into the order. Tamsyn at times can seem odd to the other children of her age mostly because she is trained in the old magics and often the other children are afraid of her. She has always been close to her father and is seen very much as a daddy's girl. Being that most of the other children are either afraid of her or think that she is weird she has very few friends her own age and often will spend most of her free time with the other priests and priestess. Despite not having very many friends Tamsyn is a very lively and energetic girl she is often gets in trouble with the priests and her family for playing pranks though most often her father will let her off with a light scolding and a promise that she will never do it again, a promise that isn't long kept. Her father tends to spoil her much to the displeasure of her mother who thinks that Duncan is too soft on her.

Other: Has the symbol of her order tattooed on her forehead marking her as an initiate into the order.

Another round of bullets hits my skin. Well, fire away
    Cause today, I won't let the shame sink in. We are bursting through
    the barricades and reaching for the sun.

We Are Warriors

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

@Splat, Hmmmm, I'd say anyone in the family for sure, so if you're thinking of a distant cousin yea, probs have the Mathie name, as for just general clan members though, It'd probably be something like Paul Gregors of The Mathie Clan. Sumthin or other like that

And Angel, welcome back, got my fingers crossed for making this work this time

2Spooky4U
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)

Gaelic names are the weirdest things ever but I love them xD I was going to pick a name a lot harder to pronounce but I was not confident in my ability to remember the correct way to spell/say it lol. Plus I kept getting tempted to pick Irish names x3

Name: Fiona Mathie

Appearance: (might add picture later)
    Fiona stands pretty tall, at around 5'8 (people were short back then k xD), and is rather skinny, with no overt muscles to show off. Her wild reddish-gold hair is usually restrained in some sort of braid or ponytail. Her skin is a little tanner than most, and dark freckles splotch her face and arms, getting even darker in the sun. Her wide, brown eyes are always lit up with excitement. The outfits she wears are usually whatever she can find, but tend to be something light and flexible to allow her easy movement.

Personality: Fiona is carefree, always the first to crack a joke or laugh at her failures. She is also a tad mischievous, and eyes always roam to her when any pranks are discovered. Many of the villagers view her as a little too nonchalant, and want her to take life more seriously. Despite this, Fiona always seems to be focused and attentive during an important task.

Other: She has trained with the bow since before she could walk, and likes to think she is pretty good at it. She spends most of her time as an apprentice to the master hunter of the clan, learning archery, falconry, etc.
    Last edited by Splat; 03-17-2017 at 06:04 PM.

Art Thread

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)

Holy moly! We got RP of the week!! :o :o :o

(And I didn't even get my arse in gear to nominate it myself :sweaty

Anyways, fingers crossed for a lil more interest my doods.

Fantasy, mature, sci-fi
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Name: Hector Mathie

Appearance:
    Spoiler: Hector 

Personality: Hector is a principled and ambitous young man. He is nephew to Duncan, a son of one of Duncan's deceased brothers. Known to be a ferocious warrior and fairly educated individual, his presence typically invites attention. Albeit a man of a collected temper, his flesh and mind have been hardened by battle. That being, he is not apathetic nor humorless; in fact, his sense of humor is rather optimistic, although daubed with crudeness at times. If he finds himself offended with an individual's behavior, he can be quite confrontational; he is not given to reckless violence, but he is fearless in challenging what he perceives to be flawed thinking. Hector pays much mind to the demeanor and mannerisms of his company, learning what he can of them efficiently. Many find him intimidating given his bold stature; many of the same over-exert effort to gain his favor. The young man, however, does not care to make friends of those he finds aim to flatter him intensely; nor those that vividly display their fear of him. Hector is indeed a man with few friends, and lends an intimate trust to few.

Other: He is an able battle tactician, and well-versed in survival skills. Hector is as well a competent archer and a masterful swordsman. The young man is also experienced with horse riding. In his spare time, he enjoys horse-training, blacksmithing (particularly swords) and reading.
    Last edited by Life; 03-17-2017 at 07:44 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast