Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: The not-nice girl wants to play.

Rambling on the shore between waking and dreaming
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Greek myths, huh?

Ever gotten close to an actual cow, by the way? They are some funky looking creatures when you see them from less than six feet away. Not that I mind a minotaur!

Lends pretty well to mazes and island prisons, actually.

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    fantasy, sci fi, modern fantasy, modern, fandom
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Kinda

I was wondering if we could do something beauty and the beast-esque except beast character saves the beauty character and takes her in and lets her stay so there's no Stockholm Syndrome

Set by Kicks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Then what? What's the friction? A story needs a conflict.

I get that you want to play a 'good guy', which is fine, but part of the charm of the B&B story is the drama between the two. Both of them wanting something that they have to struggle to get, and the other doesn't want to give.

In the classic tale, if the Beast just rescues the father and then doesn't require anything further from the man, he just goes home. Probably looking over his shoulder to make sure the monster doesn't follow, and then Beauty never shows up at all.

I get eliminating the father character entirely (no quarrel with this, though a family held hostage would be an interesting plot point), but still, there has to be a trade-off of some sort. A reason for Beauty to stay and the Beast not to kill her.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Hmm... I like the idea of the father leaving and then not holding his end of the bargain. So beast character may kidnap your character and he's not a total sweetheart or he saves her because he's desperate for anyone to break the spell by the time she finds him. What I was thinking for my character is that he'll never be a "Oh but he's so sweet once you get to know him" but more "eh, he's a jerk but as time goes on he's not so much of a jerk, but he's not the sweetest thing in the world"

Set by Kicks

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

You keep saying 'saves her', but saves her from what? I'm sorry to nitpick, but that phrasing piques my interest.

Also, my boyfriend irl keeps claiming that he is a horrible person, and yet I occasionally gush "Oh, you're so sweet!" at him, so apparently I can't tell when other people are not-nice. Just a warning.

A few more questions about the setting might help too!
    What era/area are we talking?
    How common are mystical occurrences?
    Are magic practitioners respected, feared, or scorned/laughed at?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Saving her from drowning or something chasing her... maybe someone is after her who are intent on doing something bad

And it's ok. I just want to do something where he's not all of a sudden so nice because of her

For the era, I was thinking maybe either modern or ancient Greece. Not that common, in fact mystical creatures tend to keep themselves from humans. And magic practitioners... I would say they could be laughed at or scorned because how dare they want to know the arcane arts? No one needs them (is your character going to do that because that would be cool)

Set by Kicks

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567