This is just a short piece I wrote recently. At some point I may continue the story with further parts but I'm not sure yet as to when and how.

Guardians of the Sea

PART 1

Anita stood in the centre of the deck with her feet planted firmly apart while around her crewmen hurried toward their positions and others hauled upon the sails. A slight wind tousled at her hair as she gazed calmly out across the waves at the ship they'd been pursuing for past half hour and were now on the verge of overhauling. The two vessels were running almost parallel now separated by barely three hundred yards.

At that point there was a flash of smoke across the side of other ship followed by a series of booms. A few seconds later a couple of cannonballs flew over the deck just in front of where Anita was standing. From below she heard a thus and crash of splinters as a couple of others couple of others struck the side of the ship.

"Return fire" she called out brusquely. A few yards in front of her a lieutenant relayed the order down a hatch. Seconds later she heard the pleasing thunder of her own cannon as they opened up. Gazing in the direction of the other ship she saw a couple of shots fall short but the others scoring hits against side of the vessel or striking the rigging.

There was a moment's lull and then the other vessel opened fire once more.

"Seem like they aren't going to give up without a fight" Brakkus her first mate observed beside her.

"So it seems" Anita replied. she turned slightly on her heel toward the rear of the ship. "Bring us in closer" she called out to the helmsman at the wheel. In response to her order the man turned the wheel and the gap began to narrow. "Fire again" she called to the lieutenant at the hatch and her own cannons unleashed another volley causing further damage to the other vessel. This time she saw several balls strike the deck and others cause visible damage to the mast and sails. As yet however the other crew still showed no sign of giving up.

Gazing at the other ship she felt confident that her own crew would have the measure of the cut-throats on board and decided it would be best to settle things as quickly possible. On firepower alone she could tell the other ship was outmatched. "Bring us right in" she called to her helmsman.

Beside her Brakkus turned and shouted instructions to the group of marines gathered on deck ordering them to take position along the rail where they could lend extra firepower with their muskets. The ships were near enough now that she could make out the other crew. No doubt the men knew what fate awaited them if they were taken alive.

"Prepare for boarding" she called out above the noise of the cannon. Standing a few feet away her second mate Sunito relayed the order, forming a band of marines into a boarding party while others remained at the rail to prove covering fire.

The other ship was trapped with no-where to run. As the vessels came together her own men threw across their grappling hooks and swarmed aboard. Some of the pirates stood their ground and fought til they were overwhelmed while a number of the more cowardly tried to hide below. Within a couple of minutes it was all over and the ship was hers. With Brakkus beside her she stepped lightly across onto the captured vessel. Sunito who had led the marine assault walked up to greet her. "Good work lieutenant" she said. "Did you find their captain?"

"Yes captain he's over here" Sunito replied. He led her over to a pirate being guarded by two marines. She looked the other man up and down noting that he was slightly better dressed than the rest of his crew and also that he had taken a musket wound to the shoulder.

For his own part the other man stared back at her taking in her own appearance and attire . She could see the obvious surprise in his expression. "You... you're the captain?" he said.

"Yes I'm the captain" she replied brusquely. "And I'm afraid your ship is now mine."

She turned to the two marines holding him. "Take him away and clap him in irons."