Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [M]Angel in disguise

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Default [M]Angel in disguise

The night was warm, and the dirt road was nearly deserted. A single figure walked along it, a leather satchel swinging at her side. She was slender, and you might even be tempted to call her delicate if not for the sharp looking short sword at her hip, and the way she carried herself. You might expect a woman at night to be frightened, or hurrying along to reach the nearest town to escape the growing dangers of the night. But her gait was calm and even, her back straight. She gave the air of being unafraid, and that she knew how to use the blade at her side.

The moonlight shone dully down on the countryside, a few clouds blocking it occasionally. The trickle of a stream became audible, and she stayed to the path as she passed over a foot bridge, and began walking next to a field of tall golden stalks. A ditch ran beside the road, deep enough for someone to be hidden in if crouched. This made her more cautious, and she eyed the road carefully. Something felt, off. This was only reinforced by something on the road ahead, barely visible as a darkened patch in the moonlight. She stopped when she reached it.

There had been a struggle, and blood stained the ground. There was a trail, as if someone quite badly injured had been dragged, leading into the ditch. She quickly followed it, and was rewarded by the discovery of a young man laying there. To say he was beaten up would be an understatement; whoever had attacked him had mean to kill. She eyes the deep wounds with sadness. She had to be too late..... With a soft sigh, she gently touched his arm, where one of the less severe cuts stained his clothes. To her surprise, a soft groan of pain weakly escaped the boys lips.

He was still alive, despite apparently laying here for quite some time. How he had managed to cling to life, she had no idea. What she did know was that he would fade if someone didnt help him now. Without hesitation, she pressed her hands against his chest, and closed her eyes. She began to speak, the murmured words draconic as her hands glowed faintly. The deepest, the injuries that threatened his life the most, began to close. The bleeding slowed, and a few of the smaller ones in the vicinity healed altogether. But before they could all close, her hands drew away. Her brow shone in the faint light, sweat from the exertion of the healing. Her magic might have been strong, but not even she could heal him completely.

She set her satchel down, quickly opening it and pulling out her supplies. The deeper wounds were stitched closed neatly and efficiently, then bandaged with clean linen. The strips of cloth held a mixture of herbs against it, meant to help cleanse and fight infection as well as speed the healing process. She gently lifted the boy, who was still in his teens based on his appearance, and trickled water into his mouth. After helping him drink some water, she had another task to complete. She couldn't leave him here.

Slowly, she walked along, the boy a limp deadweight that she carried to somewhere safer than the ditch. There was little shelter, and after the healing, she couldn't reach the next town. The road was lined by fields, little cover available along it save for a few trees. A short distance away, in the middle of a field, she spied a copse of trees. That would have to do for the time being. By the time she reached it, she was exhausted. She unrolled her bed roll, then looked at the boy. Gently she moved him on top of it, placing him on his back so he wouldn't aggravate many of his injuries. Though worn, she leaned against one of the trees, her sword by her side as she tried to keep watch.
    Thankfully, the night brought no attack to them, as within half an hour, she was sound asleep, her dark hair falling down to her shoulder blades, and a few strands into her face. She would remain upright, leaning against the tree as she slept.
    Last edited by IssyEspeon; 06-21-2016 at 06:15 AM.

Knight in Swiss Armor
    Sci fi, fantasy, etc.
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Critical injury. Proxy death imminent. Initiating shutdown procedure.

These were the last "thoughts" to cross through the head of the nameless young man before his vision blackened. This particular 300-series Exploratory homunculus had found something too tough for him to handle... and paid for it in his blood. Or so it should have been... if not for the interference of a travelling girl. Eventually, he opened his eyes, to see a beautiful girl around the same age as what he appeared to be, though since Homunculi didn't age like humans, he knew the girl had to be much older than his own physical age.

His wounds had been bandaged and treated, but such treatment shouldn't have been enough to save his life. The exhausted look on the sleeping girl's face told him that she must have used something else... magic, most likely, to treat the worst of his wounds. But due to the severity of his injuries, she must have been unable to completely heal him.

Either way, it was cold outside, and she had tucked him in to what warmth she had. Why had she sacrificed her own comfort for that of a stranger? Some people, he realized, were genuinely good individuals.. even in this time of war and strife. With great effort, the homunculus managed to cover the girl's sleeping form with a blanket before his head collapsed onto her lap and he lost consciousness once again, sleeping comfortably on his new pillow.

Holey Paladin's armor by Haya

Fantasy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

She had hardly stirred at the extra warmth, or the sudden drop of something onto her lap. Sighting softly, she remained in a deep, dreamless sleep. The night was uneventful, and slowly, the hours passed by. To the sleeping duo, it likely felt like it was only a short time before the sun rose. Slowly, the sun streaming between the leaves and the sounds of nature waking up made its way through the cloud of sleep enveloping the girl. She yawned, sitting up as she looked around.

To her surprise, the boy had moved during the night. Now she had a blanket around her shoulders, and his head was in her lap. Confusion showed on her face, then she sighed. "You shouldn't have gotten up in the middle of the night." She murmured, pulling the blanket from around her shoulders and folding it to to a pillow of sorts. After doing so, she gently lifted the boys head, moved out from under him, and let his head rest against the folded cloth.

Now free to move, she stood, and looked around the surrounding area. Sighing, she walked over to her satchel, and began looking through it again. She pulled out her water skins, and what food she had. She knew the boy would likely be hungry, so she carried the food and drink to his side. Setting the wrapped food down, she gently turned him onto his back again, and examined the bandages she had wrapped around him the night before. They were stained red in the areas of the worst injuries. So, she propped him upright, and unwound the bandages so she could change them. Retrieving her satchel, she dug around inside of it for a small, earthen ware pot she knew was about half full. Finally finding the healing balm, she opened it, and dipped her fingers into it. She spread the ointment gently across the wound, then gently rebound him with fresh bandages. She let him rest again, and sat nearby. After resting for a short period of time, she stood again, scanning the surrounding area for plants she could use. She was rewarded sooner than she expected, and soon walked back into the ring of trees with some edible plants, and a few with medicinal value as well. She paused, then looked down at the boy. "Are you awake?" She asked in a soft voice

Knight in Swiss Armor
    Sci fi, fantasy, etc.
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Stirring a bit as the girl woke him, the young man was still incredibly tired, and wanted nothing more than to continue sleeping. However, with the feeling of her hands on him as she changed his bandages and tended to his wounds, it seemed sleep wouldn't be returning anytime soon, and eventually he was mostly pretending to sleep until the girl asked if he was awake.

Slowly, he opened his eyes and looked up at her. As he was on the ground and she was standing over him, he was able to see right up the girl's skirt, and tried not to make it obvious what he was staring at, squinting his eyes somewhat. He wasn't sure if the girl knew or cared that he was looking up her skirt, so he didn't say anything and instead just answered her question.

"Mhmm...." he mumbled, "I'm dead, right? Because I see an angel standing over me..."

He coughed a bit and a crooked smile began to show on his face. "What's the name of the angel who has come to greet me and take me to be judged for my crimes?" By this point, it was a little more obvious that he was looking up the girl's skirt.

Fantasy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

The girl stood, her eyes narrowing as she noticed that his eyes seemed to be focusing somewhere rather inappropriate. She sighed, then knelt next to him, cutting off the view he'd had before. "If you were not injured, you'd be in a lot of pain right now for doing that." She spoke bluntly, her tone a bit cold as she unwrapped the food, and lifted one of the water skins. She propped him upright again, and pressed the skin gently into his hand. "You aren't dead, though you did make a good effort. You were nearly dead...... It's amazing that even with magic you're still alive and haven't bled out. Drink, you need to restore the fluids you lost last night."

"You need to eat as well. My name is unimportant at this time." She sighed. "But if you must know, it is Angela. What are you called?" She was calm, composed, and seemingly unaffected by the fact that someone had been staring up her skirt. Instead, she was preparing the plants she had gathered for consumption.

"Staying here would be foolish. Once you've eaten and drunk some water, you'll need to head to the nearest town. You're in no state to fight or defend yourself, so I'll accompany you to make sure no more tragedy befalls you. By mundane means, you'll need a couple weeks before your injuries heal. Through magic or divine intervention, a matter of days. I can give you herbs to speed the healing process as well." She was calmly stating the facts, then she looked over at him. "What happened on the road? Robbers, bandits or other thieves? Or was it a being of another race, or a monster?" She asked, wishing to only find the nature of the wounds, and how likely they were to get infected.

Knight in Swiss Armor
    Sci fi, fantasy, etc.
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

"Well, who am I to refuse something when it is so generously offered by an angel?" He was referring both to the water and to the view he had been provided upon waking up, as the man took a sip from the water. "The injuries I sustained would definitely kill any human," he admitted, "In this case, however, my attackers were unaware of exactly how resilient this body can be. Their mistake... considering I'm going to hunt them down and slaughter them, once I've recovered."

He offered a slight smile to the girl as she introduced herself. "That's nonsense... of course your name is important. It's nice to meet you, Angela. I don't really have a name... I'm just a 300 series exploratory homunculus, after all. People just tend to call me 'hey you' or something of the sort." He watched as she prepared the plants. Not a fan of vegetables so to speak, he wasn't currently in much position to object.

"You think you can defend me from what's after me?" The homunculus chuckled. "If they can take me down, don't you think they'd do much worse to a pretty girl? It wasn't just robbers or bandits or monsters that came for me, after all. It was a well trained assassination squad... somehow, my enemies caught word of my existence and decided to terminate it with extreme prejudice."

The homunculus felt his own auto-repair systems kicking in. It was a regenerative process that humans didn't possess. However, for the time being... he turned it off. He wanted to spend more time with this pretty girl, and if his wounds healed themselves fully, he would no longer have an excuse to do so.

Fantasy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

At the mention of the wounds being enough to be able to kill a human, she nodded., her eyes narrowing slightly. She had known how strange it had been for him to still be weakly holding onto life when she had found him. She pondered briefly what he might be, until he answered it for her. Her eyes widened slightly, a hint of curiosity in her gaze as she looked him over more closely. "A homunculus?" She asked softly, gently reaching over and feeling the skin of his arm. "Fascinating. You appear completely human to the eyes of anyone who do not have magic trained so they could in fact see that."

She looked him over, taking on his appearance, and then considered his attitude. "You sound like Nacio." She said softly, shaking her head. "Overconfident. If you don't have a name, I won't call you something as vague as 'hey you'. Would yo mind if I called you Nacio?" She asked, tilting her head to the side slightly. The teenager, though likely much younger now that she thought about it, fascinated her. She finished preparing the plants, then passed him some reasonably fresh bread, and some cold salted meat from the previous town.

"And I am not helpless. I may be a medic, but I can do a decent amount of damage for someone who heals people. In fact, that may make me a bit more dangerous. I know how to harm someone in ways its very difficult to recover from. You of all people should know appearances are deceiving at times. There is more to me than meets the eye, homunculus."

With those words, she turned her gaze back to her belongings as she gathered them up. "Besides. Your would be assassins presume you dead, do they not? Whatever the case, traveling with you, even if only for a short time, shall be interesting."

Knight in Swiss Armor
    Sci fi, fantasy, etc.
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

The homunculus took the girls hand as she felt his skin, squeezing it gently and looking into her eyes. "I'm a very well-designed construct..." he said to her, squeezing her hand more to let her feel how real it was, "I live and breathe, require food and... sustenance. Even bleed my own red blood," he said with a chuckle. "So it's no wonder you didn't notice... no one does, without using some form of divination."

"Hmmm..." he considered her words. "Overconfident? Not really, I just know that I'm expendable. There are countless other nameless homunculi such as myself doing similar missions... if I fall in the line of duty, another proxy will replace me. Who is this Nacio that you speak of, though? I'm hesitant to be named after someone who I know nothing about..." He paused long enough to take a bite of the food she had passed him, nodding to her with gratitude.

"You may not be helpless..." he told her, "But you're still mostly human, even if you do have some angel blood in you." Apparently, he had already taken the liberty of examining her with spirit sense. "I'm no weakling myself, by human standards at least, so anything that can hurt me up that bad is dangerous. But you're right in that there's more to you than meets the eye... I do look forward to spending more time with you, Angela."

He chuckled, "Just keep in mind that they may presume me dead now, but they might also send someone to double check and well... there's no body where they left me." Were he in a condition to fight, he might consider hunting the assassination squad down... but at the moment, he wanted to spend more time with this angel.

Fantasy
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

She gently felt his hand, marveling at how, human, it felt. Nothing out of place. "Amazing. How can anyone replicate the human body so exactly? Did they use biomancy, or did they use magic learned in a school? Do you know how a homunculus is made? Or, is this something you are unfamiliar with?"

"That sounds like a waste. Life isn't something you should just throw away. Even if you were create for a purpose, how does anything stop you from being an individual? Or, are you content to being just some random person drifting through life?" She shook her head. "Nacio, it's short for Ignacio. He's my brother." She explained softly. "He can't feel pain for some reason, and its led him into all kinds of trouble. He's part of the reason why I can heal injuries like yours..... A lot of practice I suppose. You remind me of him."

She raised an eyebrow as he mentioned her heritage. "Indeed. I'm both surprised, and unsurprised that you know. An ordinary person wouldn't be able to tell just by looking at me, but then again, you aren't an ordinary person. Even if that is true, and those people are very strong, if they come back for you, I'm not exactly going to sit here and let them harm you. Besides, I doubt they'd let me survive seeing them anyways."

"That is true, which means we should leave quite soon." Se considered his mention of sending someone to check. "We didn't move too far, which means we will be very easily found if they do send someone to check. Not only would that completely undo the work Ive done to heal you, it would also likely lead to the death of a rather interesting young man. When you finish, we should get going..... Which way depends on which you think is safer. Continue forwards, and possibly run into your attackers, or head backwards towards another town?" She inquired, finding that, beyond the professional interest of keeping him alive, she also wanted to spend some time with him. Shrugging off the interest as simple curiosity at the homunculus, she began to eat as well, knowing it was important to start a day of travel with a good meal

Knight in Swiss Armor
    Sci fi, fantasy, etc.
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

"Alchemy, actually," said the homunculus in order to explain his origins. "Alchemy, mixed with transmutation and restoration, and a bunch of other things, I suppose. I'm a rather complex creation, but... the fundamental origin of all homunculi is alchemy. Once you know the recipe, a sufficiently skilled alchemist can create life. Cool, huh?"

"A purpose, sure. An individual? Kinda, I guess. I have a personality..." he shrugged, "Though I suppose my personality isn't all that different from the others." He chuckled as if making a joke. "Still... if you value me enough to want me to stay alive, I suppose I can do so for your sake. Fair enough?"

He lifted himself into a sitting position, testing his strength. It was coming back much faster than it would were he human.. though he supposed he might still have to pretend to be in worse condition than he really was, if he wanted an excuse to spend more time with the healer. He considered the two options she had suggested.

"Hmm..." he said. "I'm thinking... neither. As soon as they realize I'm not dead, they'll send out three teams. One will go backwards to the nearest town, another will head forwards to the nearest town, and the third will attempt to pursue us directly."

"So..." he said, "Rather than doing what they want us to do... let's lead them on a merry chase, shall we? We should use an indirect route to try and lead the pursuit team in circles and confuse them. We'll head forward, but not to the nearest town... rather, we'll avoid that town altogether and proceed to a more distant town. Even if they tried to visit all of the distant towns... it would spread their numbers thin, to the point where we have a much better chance of fighting, should we encounter them."

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast