PDA

View Full Version : NaNoWriMo

Aurelia Courville
11-03-2009, 10:02 AM
Anyone else participating? and if so how are you faring so far, only two or three days in?

If not, you should you can sign up at anytime, and it's a good way to get rid of that procrastination you've been feeling.

If you don't know what it is here: http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/whatisnano

So far I'm keeping up with the word count, but it's early yet so let us hope I don't give up like i'm prone to doing.

Sooo: Discuss you works in in progress, and all that good stuff. Ask for some advice, we can write together.

AND GO!~

ok ok, here it goes An excerpt from my little novella. Lune tried to coax me into making a cover the other day, and I finally did it D: so voila~

As of right now, I feel like I'm just writing words that have nothing to do with anything now. We shall see how it comes out.

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu274/ranilove2616/vanessa_ho_photo_copyright-1.jpg

The sunlight shown dimly through the dust covered window. Dahlia took a white cloth, dampened a little to catch the dust, and swiped it in a circular motion on the window.

Willow Cottage was a rather old house, more of a mansion than a cottage, but beautiful nevertheless. But for some reason it had never been lived in, or rather, most of the rooms besides the kitchen, and a single bedroom, were never in regular use. The Coven had needed a rather big house for there proceedings and Dahlia had offered it up to them, finding no real need for all of that space herself.

It had gathered up a lot of dust in her absence in most of the rooms. As such, they were in the midst of cleaning it at that very moment.

There appeared a circle in the window Dahlia was cleaning now. It was only as big as her hand, and a beam of light burst though that one spot, yet Dahlia's hand steadily wiped it repeatedly. She was caught staring out of that second story window at a strange young man standing in the middle of the town center.

‘What are you doing?’ a raven haired girl that was dusting the fireplace said, stopped to walking over to the window to look out as well. ‘Who’s that?’ she asked, as if Dahlia hadn’t been in the same rooms as her all day long and would know these things.

‘Oh I don’t know Amilynn, perhaps it is the newcomer the Coven councils been talking about.’ She said snarkily. It was obvious that was who he was. They didn’t get very many visitors in this town, which is why the coven had moved here. That and the people were so trusting, and some how didn’t mind the Coven living there as long as they continued providing protection for them.

Amilynn huffed, toying with Dahlia’s auburn hair, and then tugging on it once for good measure. ‘Well who ever he is, stay away from him. The council thinks there is trouble ahead and if he is what brings it, I don’t want you hurt.’ She walked back to the fire place and placed an unlit white rose candle in the middle. It was considered protection, and the Coven had wanted to take every precaution recently.

Amilynn was Dahlia’s age, actually younger, if only by a few months. But somehow Amilynn had taken on the role of an older sister to her. Dahlia didn’t mind at all, it saved her the trouble of having to act her age. She was in her early twenties, so maybe it wasn’t such a good idea now, but it had been this way since they were little girls.

Amilynn sighed, and continued to wipe the rest of the window clean. She peeked back down at the town center after she knew Amilynn was no longer watching her, but the mysterious man was gone.

3,416 words and I'm done for the night~

Lacey
11-03-2009, 03:05 PM
This month is going to kill me. My teachers have decided to heap on the homework so I have to make up for two and a half days of not doing it. That's way too many words. The little sanity I have left is going to fly away. Forever.

*headdesk*

Azure-Quill
11-03-2009, 04:56 PM
Oh, huh. I'm doing it, and I've been talking to Danijel about it but I don't know if he's doing it or not.

My page thingy is here (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/486720) if anyone's interested.

@Lacey: D:That sounds tough. Good luck, and may your sanity make a U-turn some day.

Danijel
11-03-2009, 06:29 PM
Oh I am going to start it tonight. I had two tests today and yesterday which I had to study for but now I ready to try it out.

Aurelia Courville
11-04-2009, 12:50 AM
Azure you hav 5thousand already?!?! ~dead~

hmm. I'm just trying to keep up with the 1,667 words a day. when you get into it, it comes fast.

Lacey DON'T DIE!! just breathe you'll make it dont worry.

At the moement I'm only distracted by the tv so... >_>

Lacey
11-04-2009, 01:10 AM
But breathing is overrated. (teehee)

Aurelia Courville
11-04-2009, 01:43 PM
But breathing also keeps you alive!!

Unlike what I did, which was basically like commiting suicide-- for cometition purposes only.

I started another story. Because I like making things hard on myself. -sigh-

Excerpt:

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu274/ranilove2616/couple_rain.jpg

She picked up the toy eyeing it thoughtfully before closing the refrigerator and turning to the youngest of her sisters children who was sitting in a high chair and screaming his head off at the lack of attention. Lillian smiled at him as she brought the toy over. “Is this what you want you silly little monkey?” she cooed as she picked him up, effectively balancing him, the toy and her purse all at the same time.

Little Jack silenced himself now that he was being held and reached his hand out for the toy. Lillian Put it in his reach and smiled. She liked kids, as long as she could give them back to whoever they belonged to when she grew tired of them. And Jack was cute… when he wasn’t screaming.

“Lillian! Put down the baby.” Her sister, Allyson said, holding her hands out like she was trying to talk a jumper of the roof, inching closer to Lillian while she talked.

“Okay I’m not going to drop him. I’m twenty-two years old, I think I know how to hold a child.” But she gratefully handed him over to his mother. “Besides, I’ve held your other children plenty of times and--”

“And dropped Nat on her head when she was two.” Jack senior interjected for his wife looking sternly at Lillian. Lillian just rolled her eyes.

“You dropped me on my head?” Natalie now 9 years old and tied with her twin sister Lisa for second eldest of the bunch shrieked, her tiny face frozen like the picture of ‘The Screamer’.

“Look at it this way,” Rebecca, fifteen and the oldest began, spoon of cheerios halfway to her mouth, “Now you have an excuse for being stupid.” her mater-of-fact tone wiped the face of Natalie from that of ‘Oh my God’ one that was definitely a death glare.

Lillian giggled a little receiving a death glare of her own from her sister before Allyson reprimanded Rebecca and telling Natalie she was fine. “And anyway Lillian, where do you think you’re going dressed like that? Shouldn’t you be looking for a job?”

Security of Mem
11-04-2009, 07:40 PM
I'm also doing Nanowrimo.

Though the story I'm working on is....well written much earlier in my life. So the first chapter is all messed with grammar. But I'm adding in more chapters.

I have about 15,000 words already. Almost there. Woo.

Lacey
11-04-2009, 08:38 PM
I'm jealous.

Azure-Quill
11-04-2009, 09:21 PM
I thought I was doing well just cracking 8k. D: And I still need to treble this quickly if I want to win the race to the halfway mark between me and someone else on there.

Aurelia Courville
11-04-2009, 11:24 PM
I thought I was doing well just cracking 8k.

Technically You are doing well. D: if anything, now I only have about a days worth of words.

I'm jealous of both of you :horror:

Azure-Quill
11-05-2009, 05:15 PM
Yeah, but isn't that just because you changed stories? Surely you could still count the words written before since it's still technically part of your NaNoWriMo?

Aurelia Courville
11-06-2009, 04:11 AM
Probably but my only real goal is to finish a story for once. The 50k is just a plus xD

Miss Devil
11-06-2009, 03:41 PM
I am going to do it too :)
I have already started 1,000 words down. going to make it hard.

http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/599727

thats mine

Stream
11-06-2009, 10:02 PM
I'm at 21,000 words, but I sort of cheated and used a premise I wrote up months ago.

So I probably won't be submitting one this year.

Miss Devil
11-06-2009, 10:11 PM
CHEATER!!! :O

Stream
11-06-2009, 10:13 PM
I feel so dirty. I'm going to go burn my robe and mask in the fire pit outside and try to cleanse to filth from my body.

Miss Devil
11-06-2009, 10:15 PM
lol you should!!!

Stream
11-06-2009, 10:16 PM
Psh. Tailor made.

Lacey
11-06-2009, 10:36 PM
If you need inspiration to write, I suggest this website:

http://writeordie.drwicked.com/

It really works!

Miss Devil
11-06-2009, 10:38 PM
lol 1,000/50,000

Stream
11-06-2009, 10:47 PM
I've got tons of ideas floating in my head right now, and I may be holding a writing challenge against a popular internet writer who just released a book.

Miss Devil
11-06-2009, 10:48 PM
really? Can I read it when your done?!?!?!

Stream
11-06-2009, 10:50 PM
No. I'm going to make sure everybody gets to read it but you.

Of course you can.

Miss Devil
11-06-2009, 10:54 PM
YAY!! lol I am working on my NaNoWriMo.

I have 1,200/50,000

Azure-Quill
11-08-2009, 08:34 PM
I kind of died for a bit on this. Then I realised the story just wasn't working for me, so I'm starting a new story. But still counting my previous word count.

@Lacey: That site is amazing. Nothing pulls words from you faster like fear of the annoying pop-up window. D:

Anthraxus
11-10-2009, 12:43 AM
I'm doing Nano as well: http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/591450

I started 3 days late and wasn't able to get near a computer all weekend, so I really need to write my ass off to catch up.

Mysteria
11-10-2009, 02:32 AM
Wow, I admire you all for trying this. I'd never keep up, I've got way to much going on to even attempt it. But this is awesome and I have really enjoyed reading this thread so far!

Aurelia Courville
11-10-2009, 02:40 AM
I've lost my mojo. I don't know if I'll ever get it back. I get bored to easily to stick with anything like this for a full month. Maybe I should have gone to those write-in things?

It's only week two so we shall see how it goes.

whoaWhitney
11-10-2009, 05:45 PM
Good Luck guys, keep going!

Anthraxus
11-13-2009, 03:56 AM
I just broke 5000 words today.

Greenteeth
11-01-2010, 07:52 PM
So it's that time of year again! NaNoWriMo (http://www.nanowrimo.org) is around, and I thought that reviving this thread would do us some good~

Personally, I'm going to do it just for fun. If I don't reach 50,000 words in 30 days, at least I'd have had fun doing it~ And, as always, there's next year to try and complete it.

Is anyone else participating? C:

Miss Ember
11-01-2010, 07:57 PM
Oh god yes! I even started a social group, so if you look at my profile, you will see it.~ My username on there is also "Mistake" but I can't seem to access the site right now, I think too many people are on it, ahaha.

Greenteeth
11-01-2010, 08:03 PM
I joined! I was going to try and register, but it's crashed with me, too. XD It's like a holiday all by itself o3o

Miss Ember
11-01-2010, 08:06 PM
Ahaha it is XD. But what are you writing about? I got 1.6k right now.

Greenteeth
11-01-2010, 08:09 PM
I'm writing a backlog to a RP I used to have up here. I'm going to be reviving it, as requested by Anne. So I thought it'd be a good way to get in the mood! lol... What're you writing about?

Tomorrow, I'm going to be using my school's computers to write, so that I don't get distracted by the internet. XD; What're some tricks for you to write?

Miss Ember
11-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Ah, I am doing the roleplay between Griphun and I which can be located here. (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?p=372554&posted=1#post372554) Don't worry though, for I am slipping through the cracks of the rules for I am only counting my posts!

My tricks are just some mellow music like some Emilie Autumn; she plays the violin in a album called Unlaced/Laced, so it can help you either if there is a fighting coming up, mystery or just trying to describe a scenery.

Greenteeth
11-01-2010, 08:15 PM
XD I hope you're making a transition between the two posts, so it's easier to follow. And, I would say you're cheating, but you're not.

Ah, music! I listen to a lot of Chopin and nocturnes when I write. But, I think I'm going to listen to Emilie. It sounds very inspirational.

Miss Ember
11-01-2010, 08:18 PM
Told you I'm not *winks*. But yeah, I will have to do that, for I ahave permission from my lover to do that and my word count will be even greater as I will make his posts from my characters point of view and all that. Even if I am somewhat cheating and get disqualified, at least I am progressing in the story that we have so long needed to have started as I am putting everything to write in that.

I never heard of Chopin and nocturnes but I will look them up! And good ^^.

Doreen
11-01-2010, 08:44 PM
Today (during the first day) I wrote two pages in Word. I am not sure how I am ever going to write 50.000 words in one story. Maybe I will just split the book into several stories eventually.. :)

Miss Ember
11-01-2010, 08:48 PM
Go go go Doreen!~

Aurelia Courville
11-01-2010, 10:52 PM
REVIVAL.

Okay. I've gotten just over 2000 words today and Hopfully I can squeeze out just a bit more (and by just a bit, I'm aiming for another 2000) because I know at some point I'm going to not do a day or something and not going to feel like catching up.

It all comes down to when I will run out of things to say. :/

I'm trying not to put too many time jumps in here, but in order to not find myself stuck, I may have too.

DILEMMA.

V
11-02-2010, 06:19 AM
I had fun writing my 1900 odd words yesterday gonna try to do equal or more tonight....

Miss Ember
11-02-2010, 06:21 AM
Ahaha XD.

V
11-02-2010, 06:31 AM
Ahaha XD.

Are you laughing at me?!? D:

Miss Ember
11-02-2010, 06:36 AM
Who knows? *shrugs* : ).

EDIT:: By the way, 3,228 words on the first day!~

Quodd
11-03-2010, 04:00 AM
Haha, I just created my profile yesterday.... unfortunately the sites acting really slow for me so I haven't been able to do any word counts or anything.

That being said I've yet to actually make a start on any form of writing /sigh

zerotech57
11-03-2010, 04:33 AM
I'd love to do NaNoWriMo...
but I can't :/
The way I work just doesn't suit it
I only write things when I really feel like I'm getting a good flow going, or I'm inspired :p
I hate just trying to write for the sake of writing, and then looking back and feeling like what I wrote was terrible :/

Doreen
11-03-2010, 10:36 AM
But that's just it, zerotech57. This isn't so much about quality. You can write anything and it will stimulate your creativity to write this amount of words each day. November is for writing and you can use December (and the rest of the year) to polish up.

By the way, my username is Antjeg and I would love to make some new writing-friends. My story is in Dutch, but the support to know other people are writing too would certainly help. :)

TheDashingRogue
11-03-2010, 10:46 AM
Bah if only I'd known about this before! I might've planned something to write.

Aurelia Courville
11-05-2010, 02:02 PM
Because you know how much I loooove to procrastinate...

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu274/ranilove2616/sls2.jpg

Synopsis: Something like Stone

Riley Stone has a vivid imagination and this story gives you an example of just how wrong things can go when you let your dreams become your only reality.

Throw in some cramped hotel rooms, creepy carnival fortunetellers and rejected sexual advances, and you've got Something Like Stone in a nutshell.

word count: 8,381

Mr.Cynic
11-10-2010, 12:28 AM
I already have 17,044 words. I took a moment when I was free of all my homework, completing it all before November, so I could spend some time writing a lot. I tend to write a lot.

Miss Ember
11-10-2010, 01:07 AM
7k here right now T_T. I'm going nuts.

Keifeto
11-10-2010, 06:02 AM
im fairing alot worse than most cause i couldnt get in to the mood to write and a lot stuff started popping up on me. but yeah. im at 1554 words... >_> sad...but that will change once i get the plot going and it picks up more

V
11-10-2010, 06:08 AM
B( Well my new computer arrived last friday and I deemed it more important that writing so I haven't written anymore - not sure If I will.