PDA

View Full Version : Dyson Sphere OOC

leafy_kille
12-29-2010, 11:30 PM
All was silent on the Dyson Sphere.
Nothing moved.

Nothing had moved for over 1000 years; the Gorg had seen to that.

Though they had never managed to get inside the human built fortress that had been built around the sun and all its planets due to its terrifying array of weapons systems, there where no humans.

The year is 4669
The whole of the Milky way is under the control of the Gorg.
All of it?

Well, almost all of it. There is one place they cannot go: the sol system Dyson Sphere, the last hold out of the vile resistance known as humans.

The war started several millennia ago in 2941.
We (humanity) had discovered warp travel some 300 years earlier and had finally escaped Einstein’s cage. We had finally inherited a galaxy that we had long ago decided was devoid of intelligent life the universe was ours for the taking.

This blissful ignorance ended in 2941 with the destruction of a remote science station on the edge of the galaxy.
There was no warning, no declaration of war, not even a demand for our surrender. The Gorg had arrived!

They had an amazing ability to hide their ships and fleets would appear out of the warp attacking seemingly without reason or warning. The human empire was caught completely unaware and unprepared. It took us nearly 50 years to be able to adequately defend ourselves but by that point we had lost so much ground to the Gorg that we only had one small section of the galaxy left, billions upon billions had perished, and we still had no idea what the Gorg wanted or even what they looked like, let alone where they came from or how to stop them.

The Gorg where not very advanced apart from the shielding they used to cloak their ships, they where just as vulnerable to conventional high power warp weaponry (it hits its target without travelling through the intervening space by teleporting to a point millimetres from its target after being accelerated) as anything else. However they made up for this by building massive fleets and simply overwhelming the opposition by using their shielding to allow them to attack from all directions at once.

We attempted to defend ourselves but the problem with the Gorg was that although they where technologically backwards and we could destroy one of their ships easily we simply got overwhelmed and surrounded. Our efforts slowed the Gorg progress but they had numbers and resources on their side. Facing extinction the human federation of planets in desperation contracted a daring group of scientists to design a base that would be able to support enough warp guns to be able to hold the Gorg fleets at bay forever, even if it was surrounded. Thus the Dyson Sphere in the sol system was designed. It was so huge it encompassed the whole solar system using the whole sun at its centre as its power source! Construction took over 200 years and when it was finished all of the remaining people evacuated their planets, ships and colonies to live in the one safe location remaining. Thus it came about that humanity that was once flourishing and occupying most of the galaxy had been brought to its knees.

By 3283 all of humanity had crowded into the sol system.
The Dyson Sphere had been well designed and built using the most advanced techniques, the Gorg fleets crashed into our defences time and again and each time they where pushed back by the heavy automatic defences that covered the whole surface of the sphere. However it rapidly became apparent that even though we had harnessed a whole sun to power the sphere that the number of people in the sphere was far more than it could sustain so a plan was hatched to put all of humanity into hyper sleep using the latest cryogenic freezing systems and wait until the Gorg had got bored of getting killed outside the fortress.

In 3289 the last human entered his cryo chamber leaving just the automated defences to deal with the Gorg.
The Gorg continued their assault unrelentingly for the next 380 years the auto guns rarely having more than a week to cool off before the next assault began.

Then they just stopped.

It is now 4669, it has been over 1000 years since the last auto gun fired.

leafy_kille
12-30-2010, 05:26 AM
Dave slowly became aware that he was aware.

He did not know quite what it was that he was aware of, as his consciousness slowly returned. He explored his senses; he could feel nothing, he could hear nothing, he could taste nothing he could smell nothing. Then he realised he was not breathing and tried to inhale but his muscles would not respond. Fear suddenly came over him and he lost what tenuous grip he had on awareness again.

When he became aware again he was acutely aware of a pulsating pain in his chest and his heart began to beat as the pain subsided he again tried to breathe again meeting with no success. This time he did not let fear overwhelm him, concentrating on the sensation of his heart beating allowed him to keep his grip on consciousness. He just lay there trying to remember who he was where he was and how he had come to be there. Nothing came to him and he lost consciousness again.

Again he was jolted to consciousness it felt like the front of his chest was about to be torn off by an unseen force and there was something ice cold in his throat. The pain eased and he realised that he was exhaling, the pain returned to the front of his chest and so did the cold feeling in his throat. <It is forcing me to breathe> he thought.
There was no other option so he tried to cooperate with whatever it was and again tried to breathe, it was hard but with all his will he focused and the ability to breathe of his own accord was slowly released to him with the pulling sensation in his chest lessoning with each breath until some time later he was breathing difficultly but under his own control.

As breathing slowly became more natural and less of an effort of will he was able to again think about what was going on, he tried to move and although his muscles did respond this time he found he was some how restrained and could not move at all save for his breathing. He strained against his restraints for a while and cried out incoherently, he found that he got tired very quickly and soon he fell asleep from exhaustion.

When he came too he was aware of a light through his eye lids and tried to open them, which was surprisingly easy but as soon as they where open the light appeared to go out because he saw nothing more than he had done when they where closed he cried out again, this time managing to form the word “Help” to which a metallic voice which seemed to be coming from inside his head replied <please relax.>
At that moment a thousand questions where humming through his mind such as “where am I?, who am I? why am I here? What is going on?” he tried to communicate these verbally but found his words came out all jumbled as complete gibberish. He calmed himself and tried again finding it hard to articulate the words he managed eventually “where am I?” the metallic voice in his head said <chryostacis pod ninety one million three hundred and twenty two thousand six hundred and eight. Please relax, your body will be fully functional again soon>. This made little sense to Dave who had barely been able to maintain consciousness through the reply before falling asleep again.

The next time he awoke he was aware that his whole body was being tensed one muscle group at a time causing acute pain each time, it was immensely stressful and like a hard work out he soon found himself breathing heavily. After an absolutely horrific half hour of these involuntary muscular contractions he was released and he immediately passed out again.

Some time later he woke up feeling very stiff and instinctively tried to streach and was surprised when he was able to move, enjoying this new found freedom he stretched in the pitch dark while lying down, he then tried to stand up but found that although he had some freedom to move he could not get up as though his body was pinned to the floor. He tried to roll over but again met with failure so he lay there face up in the pitch dark enjoying the ability to move all be it in a limited fashion.
“Why can’t I get up?” Dave asked, <your internal systems are not all fuly functional yet. Please relax> the voice in his head said. “Could you turn on the lights so I can see?” requested Dave.

Moments later the lights came on and Dave found himself completely dazzled at first but after a few minutes he began to be able to see and for the first time he could see what was going on because there was a huge mirror above him so he could see the whole of the pod and himself lying there, it was as if he was seeing himself for the first time.

He was a boy about 14 he thought. He had dark brown very short hair, blue-grey eyes and unhealthily white skin. He was wearing nothing apart from what looked like a rather bulky nappy. He was lying on what looked like a bed of sorts and there was a screen beside him that lit up when he turned his head to look at it. A series of lines formed on the screen that then seemed to jump out of it and slowly as more lines where added it formed a face, a female face.

When the image was complete there was a female face there in the pod with him projecting out of the screen, it had the complexion of an older woman with a few wrinkles here and there, slight bags under her pure blue glowing eyes and medium length black hair that reached where he thought her shoulders should have been. The voice entered his head again but this time instead of the metallic voice it had been before it was the pleasant tones of a female voice <Hello there I am Eva I am the computer core of the Dyson Sphere, you are among the first few to be awakened all that remains is to get your digestive system working again. You will find your memories coming back to you soon, you will have many questions right now but wait until you are fully revived and out of your pod because by that time hopefully most of them will have been answered.> Before Dave could open his mouth to speak he felt an excruciating pain in his stomach, it was so intense that he almost instantly passed out.

Dave woke up. Initially he could not remember where he was, he just knew he was hungry, very hungry. He opened his eyes to be greeted by a familiar sight of himself lying face up wearing nothing but a nappy and he remembered where he was, he could also remember other things now like his name and other stuff was there as well but he did not think about it much he just wanted to get something to eat. “I’m hungry” he said.

The next moment there was a strange sensation along his back but it was quickly replaced by an even stranger sensation in his stomach, he was getting full very rapidly and within a few seconds he was satiated and then quite stuffed. The metallic voice returned to his head saying <all major bodily systems now functional. You can get up now Dave”.

all players will go through a similar awakening, Dave and Eva will be played by me

Commander Tine was bored; he had been to hundreds of these full sensory interface tests and was beginning to give up hope of ever finding someone young enough and talented enough to train as the new captain of their latest vessel.

That was until he saw the results of Dave. <this has to be an error> he thought to himself <negative the test was repeated in a different unit while the original one was tested for faults but he again got 100%> Eva replied much to the surprise of commander Tine who almost fell out of his chair.

<well this is an unexpected surprise> thought Tine <how long have you been listening to me?> <Only since you plugged your NI jack into the net some 10 minutes ago> <crap I totally forgot I was still plugged in> Tine thought as he turned to unplug it he was even more surprised to se Eva’s virtual avatar standing there in his office.

“Oh! This is an honor.” Said Tine standing up as he removed his NI jack and saluted to Eva. “Can the formalities, I’m not in the military” replied Eva curtly. “Oh right, ok sorry it is an ingrained habit from when you used to run us, old habits die hard.”

“Indeed, now about this boy, I have already taken the liberty of sending an email to him on your behalf inviting him to come for further training to pilot the new Hercules class ship. He is the only candidate to score this highly and he is ideally suited to the role of pilot.”

“This is quite unbelievable” tine replied slightly lost for words, “if this score is correct he may even be able to fly an even larger ship as a solo pilot!” “Quite so, and even as we speak I am working on some new simulators to test his abilities further.”

Later that evening while Dave and Boo where having some naughty fun with each other there was a few seconds of uncomfortable silence when Eva’s avatar appeared in the room.

“Don’t you knock?” Dave and Boo replied in unison, remembering that they where still connected they unplugged each other and both glared at Eva “I did but since you have turned of your notifications…” Eva left the sentence unfinished.

“Normally that means that someone doesn’t want to be disturbed.” Dave shot back a bit annoyed, “you may know a huge amount of things but your manners still leave a lot to be desired” added Boo.

“I apologize for the intrusion and I will leave you alone again in a moment however I just had a conversation with commander Tine of the new Dyson space force and he would like to meet you personally tomorrow Dave. You are to meet him in the military area; details have been supplied to you as to how to get there,” stated Eva before promptly vanishing.

“Um wow … errr that is kinda cool” said Dave mostly to himself , “blooming AI” said Boo as she plugged the leads back in to each other, and #censored# causing Dave to let out a small squeak of pleasure <ok we can deal with it in the morning> they thought in unison as they again began to have plenty of fun.

and so it was that Dave became the pilot under commander Tyne

current power level:
100/100

physical description:
dark brown very short hair, blue-grey eyes and unhealthily white skin. fairly short, tends to wear practical clothes, and on the ship he is always in military uniform.

abilities and skills of note : Dave has the ability to interface with machines far beyond the standard operation if kitchen equipment or an anti gravity transport pod, when he connects with a machine it become an extension of his own body and he can control all of it with a simple thought, more complex tasks require more concentration so while flying the ship he usually relaxes in his pilots chair.

spirits breath
12-30-2010, 05:44 AM
wow. a lot of words. but I must ask if this is introduction to the story, set up the setting? Or do you intend in having this for in character?
a character sheet would be helpful for others to join this.

leafy_kille
12-30-2010, 05:53 AM
this is all just the introduction the actual rp will take place a few years from these events once everyone has been rehabilitated, my character sheets for both Dave and Eva will follow soon along with some more info about the tech, this set up is far from finished yet however id be delighted if anyone wants to show interest at this early stage.

note: Eva is my character please don't hijack her she is for plot use only :P if you do want to use Eva contact me and we can discuss it

characters awakening : 3 paragraphs minimum just follow along the same lines as the one i created for Dave or feel free to be inventive, though its probably a good idea if you survive it!

history: how you came to be serving on the military grade experimental single pilot destroyer under command of commander Tyne and piloted by Dave

power levels and power packs
these are very important as power governs just about everything, if you have enough of it you could build a new Dyson Sphere although it would take years!

everyone is fitted with a standard 100 point personal defence system at birth, this provides the monitoring of all vital functions and the prevention of death or serious injury, it also has programmable upgrades such as diet programmes, or muscle building ones and even hair care products

everyone has a power pack inside their body it can store up to 100 units of power (I may make exceptions if you have a good enough reason) this power is used to maintain many things around you, your shield for example, being on a Dyson Sphere means that the sunlight is very strong, if you don't have your shield up in the sunlight you will pass out almost immediately and die fairly soon unless taken to shade the shields activation is automatic, it also cushions blows from injuries, the nano computer in your head will not allow you to die unless it has no power left, so don't run out! as a result of this combat sports are common often using specially designed shields that are clearly visible unlike the regular completely invisible one and the winner is the one who drops his opponents shield, there are still some fatalities when people get carried away or just make a mistake.

power is also used to make things, the larger the object the more power it would need to make it, for example a large metal knife would use around 5 units of power to synthesise. objects can only be synthesised at a Synth Point (tm) though there will usually be one to hand

power is also currency and there are power storage devices all around the Dyson Sphere where you can deposit or withdraw power from your personal account
food for example is very cheap because biomass can easily be grown rather than having to create it.

current power level:
xx/100

as in how old you are, there is no real limit as medical science means you can live for as long as you want to, though preferably no characters over the age of 100

physical description:
(unless you have done it in the awakening or history) you do not need to appear your actual age as you can easily get a new body.

abilities and skills of note : be inventive but don't go mad, I don't want super heroes here! that said you do need something or you wouldn't be on this ship!

it will likely take me at least another day to get all the char sheets and background done.

I'm running a relife system where if your body gets destroyed in combat or whatever your mind is stored in a secure unit on the Dyson Sphere so you can get a new body grown for you even if your existing body is totally destroyed, though you will loose all experiences since your last backup, that is unless your brain case survives, this is a reinforced armour plated self powered miniature fortress to keep your brain safe so your knowledge of everything including your own death is preserved, a whole new body can easily be provided to house your brain though it does come with all the normal problems of growing up, the bodies are matured to adolescence usually before being activated and the brain installed, all those hormones can cause some problems even with a mature mind!

you could make a combat spec. in the body of an infant because his body rejected the maturation chamber before it reached adolescence.

all fear the lethal baby :P
OK! maybe not a combat spec. baby but an infant character is definitely a possibility, as well as body alterations if you want cat ears or a tail its doable, though exercise some moderation please.

spirits breath
12-30-2010, 06:33 AM
ok, just wanted to be sure. some people make in character threads in the ooc, then we gotta move them, but there isn't an ooc and yada yada yada.
will be following this, and will more than likely be following this. when it is done, after a day or two, I will start advertising this around the forum and hopefully get more people in this. also if you need help, just let me know. (though I am off to bed, so in the morning I will get to you.)

leafy_kille
12-30-2010, 06:47 AM
i must admit i have never done any work in which there are 2 gm's i guess id need to explain plot and such to you if you where going to assist me, also id need to wait until i have attained member status as it would make communication rather easier.

if you are interested in co-gming this with me we would need to work several things out, like who you would play for starters but you seem to be into your scifi and this will be the first rp of this scale that i have run so perhaps some help may be a good idea.

spirits breath
12-30-2010, 03:03 PM
haven't decided yet on the character. or the story, I tend to do ones where we are on the ship, with my weird alien thing. If splicer comes by, he knows. made it planetside a few times. creeped someone out.
Though for co-gming, it could work, not that difficult. though pming could be problematic right now.
you know, I am going to try and send a message to you, not sure if it would work, but you might be able to to reply to it.

leafy_kille
12-30-2010, 11:43 PM
character sheet skeleton and background are now up, though I may write more to the story of Dave's history later

now accepting new characters!

Enigma
01-06-2011, 01:08 AM
Hi!

This looks very interesting, will have to craft and pm you a character sheet. Can I ask just what sort of stuff will we be doing?

Enigma
01-08-2011, 04:12 PM
characters awakening : As the orderly guided her float chair down the bright white hospital corridor, people would pause to stare at her, whispering. A few stood. Two marines saluted as she went past. She simply sat, unmoving. The chair stopped at a type II light duty pocket door. The orderly pressed the announce stud under the name plate.

"Commander Taylor, sir."
"Very well. Bring her in."
The door slid open within tolerance and the chair drifted inside, stopping in front of a desk as the door hissed closed unseen behind her. The doctor in hospital whites glanced at her but continued to type on a data pad. The orderly cleared his throat.
"This may take some time," the doctor said without looking up. "I will summon you when it's time to take her back to her room."
"Lieutenant, Commander...."
"This is a hospital, Petty Officer Davis!" the doctor interrupted, shooting him an angry look. "Commander Taylor is a patient. Please go attend to your duties."
"Aye, aye, sir!" Davis scowled, coming briefly to attention before pivoting on his heel and walked out.

The doctor stared sourly as the door hissed shut behind the orderly, then turned his attention to her.

"I am Doctor-lieutenant Brown, at your service. Do you know your name?"
"Yes."
"What is your name?" he asked when she did not go further.
"Taylor, Sara. Lieutenant Commander, Service number 58-774...."
"How old are you?"
"34," she replied. The doctor glanced at the lined, worn face on the screen and compared it to the child-like waif she was now. With the Riker's limited supplies, the regen unit had been set to regress her.
"Do you remember what happened to you?"
Sara frowned.

"USS Riker?" he prompted.
"USS Riker, DDX 1004, Jane Class..."
"Do you remember the Gorg attack at Alpha Centauri, while you were directing repairs on board the transport liner Michael Jackson?"
"Yes."
The doctor sighed and punched some keys on the data pad. "Do you remembering cobbling together an antimatter bomb, then taking it yourself to plant on the hull of the Gorg ship while it was fighting the Riker?"
"Yes."
"Why did you do that?"
"I... I do not understand the question?" she frowned.
"Did someone order you to do that?"
"No."
"Then why did you go out there to plant the bomb?"
"The Gorg was between the Michael Jackson and the Riker and focused on destroying it. I was convinced I could plant the anti-matter charge on the Gorg's hull without them noticing."
"Explain why you exploded the bomb while you were in blast range?" he asked, looking up.
"A Gorg Defense pod was turning in my direction. I assumed they had heard me connecting to their hull and were trying to shoot me. I had the only trigger."
"I see," he hummed to himself, his two forefingers tapping on the pad's smudged keyboard. "Your EMU took the blunt of the blast but it still managed to burn off the arms and legs off your EVA suit. Your actions saved civilian lives and your ship. Do you remember any of that?"

Sara frowned, staring at the dirty data pad. She flashed an order to the Synth point but it was locked.

"The Regen unit on the Riker was damaged. Minds need stimulation during a long regeneration but they could only rig up a maintenance core as a stim module. Were you aware of this?"

An memory flashed through her mind; waking up to an argument between blurry figures, her left eye bandaged, trying to rub her eye only to find she had two bandaged-wrapped stubby stumps for arms. The cold that flowed into her veins from her PDS implant. "No"

"You were still in deep regen when the Riker docked. It was decided to put you in extended cycle, monitored by Eve when you arrived. They also promoted you to full Commander and awarded you the Medal of Honor."

She stared back blandly. Regen units offered a chryostasis mode for severe cases. The data pad he held was very grimy along the edges. She mentally ordered the Synth point to do a diagnostic check and reboot. It responded.

"When you were revived, nurses found you servicing the Regen unit. Do you know why you were doing this?"

"Regen units are to be serviced within 72 hours so they may be available for other patients...."
"Why do you think it was your job to start servicing the unit?"
"I was there," Sara replied matter-of-factly, turning to stare at the now online Synth point. There was a ding and a cleaning wand appeared.

"That was locked!" Lieutenant Brown yelled, stunned as she took out the tool. "How did you do that?"
"I ordered the Synth point into a diagnostic cycle," Sara told him absently, reaching over to take the data pad from him.
"Give that back..!" he demanded, snatching at the unit. She swung it, impacting a corner on his temple, then brought it down hard with both hands on the back of his skull. He collapsed face down with a moan, blood dripping onto the desk.

She ignored him, using her tunic to wipe the splattered blood off the case then leaned over with the wand to begin a thorough cleaning as mandated by the maintenance manual in her head.

history: Cmdr Sara Taylor trained as a Ship's Engineer and was very good at her job before spending a thousand years with service manuals trickling through her mind while her body was regenerating from the blast and radiation damage her PerDefSys was unable to fully protect her from.

current power level: 100/100

physical description: Brunette, service pixie cut short hair style, green eyes. 1.35 meters height, 46.25 kilograms mass, very pale skin, sleek and wiry build. Does not smile.

abilities and skills of note: Superior mechanical ability and memory retention, technical problem-solving ability. Improved hand-to-hand combat and weapon skills.

leafy_kille
01-08-2011, 04:49 PM
thanks very much, our ship now has a chief engineer, a captain and a pilot, though we will need a few more before we can actually start so be patient

leafy :)

Belnazar
01-09-2011, 02:15 AM
This seems really interesting, ill have a go at making a character and see how it goes.

Awakening: A mind in darkness, separated from all the physical realm, a mind separate from all worldly concerns. Perhaps this can be understood as an interpretation of Nietzsche? Possibly a mind without limits? A blank space where seemingly only my mind exists. But who am I? This lone mind in a sea of black. No matter how hard I attempt to recognize these most basic cognitive facts I am simply offered nothing but emptiness. I feel myself fading slightly, perhaps this is the end of my existence, this fleeting moment of awareness before the gaping maw of extinction greets me?

Heavy... I feel heavy. Slowly a light enters me and in time I can begin to visualise, a scene of metallic emptiness is all that greets me. I imagine a smile appearing on my lips. A smile? Intriguing, it would appear I have discovered something about myself. I am... a "human". A voice enters my mind. <Relax>. It echoes the environment, and I feel myself somewhat Placated. I close my eyes and am once again swallowed in the sea of darkness. Once again I feel myself fading, but this time I seem to know that it is simply a part of a process.

Pain! Pain means that I am alive. Yes, that I Bernard Flecker am indeed alive, I have awoken and am currently undergoing physical therapy. I smile to myself, it would appear that all is well. I can see a mirror and look at a face that is at once alien and familiar to me. A kind face greets me, young, perhaps early twenties, with dark brown hair, currently messy and long. My body appears to be somewhat slim, and I can confirm that I am indeed "Male" as I suspected. However having a grounding out of the darkness I knew is both a relief and cause for concern, for the empty darkness was a comfort of sorts. Perhaps that is what it is like to be in the mothers womb? No matter, I will have much time to ponder such things at a later date, as it stands I must allow my body to recuperate.

I stood, all of the physical therapy being dealt with and my body in full working order. I am told that my ordeal I have gone through is one that is actually relatively common. A shame, I had hoped that I would undergo a unique and new experience. Ah well, perhaps the next time I shall have a completely different body made for me... I smile inwardly at this thought.

history: Bernard Flecker, or Doctor Flecker as he seems to prefer being called was a scientist who was heavily involved in research on humanity, attempting to create the perfect human, a peerless body and mind. However his work was seen as dangerous and he was forced to shut down. He was frowned upon for using himself as a test subject for much of his research, genetically altering himself.

physical description: Decided he liked his hair long and just leaves it as it is, messy and all, has blue eyes behind his glasses, despite not having any problems with his vision he likes the effect of looking more intelligent. He is almost always dressed in a lab coat, that he believes his is uniform. Underneath he wears decidedly boring brown pants and a blue shirt.

abilities and skills of note: Skilled in many fields of science, including chemistry, biology, physics, mathematics and philosophy. He has a great mind when it comes to the sciences, but has a bad mind when it comes to putting a name to a face (takes some time but he can eventually get it). Some people find him unnerving because he can see through most deceptions.

G
01-09-2011, 02:23 AM
Lurking for now I might join.

leafy_kille
02-06-2011, 04:55 PM
apologies to all concerned for my absence, I have been moving house and as such I have had little time for niceties such as role play :( however, I'm now all moved, and have most of my stuff unpacked so I'm now back in business.

I don't know how many of the original set of people who posted here are still interested but I think I'm going to start this if i can get at least 3 people plus me who are definitely going to be part of it, and possibly add more later.

so if you are still interested or are interested now please post here or pm me :)

Enigma
02-06-2011, 05:48 PM
I'm still around and interested. ^ _ ^

Belnazar
02-06-2011, 08:52 PM
Hey, yeah I am still interested checking in every couple of days or so.

leafy_kille
02-10-2011, 10:50 PM
Ok thats 2, I'm almost tempted to start it with just you two, I could probably get it to work but I'd have to do a huge amount of work as I'd be playing so many ppl on the ship that I'd rather have someone else playing, one more and I'll start this immediately, but if I don't get another person within a week or 2 ill start it anyway and see how it goes. I hope u guys are ok with that :)

MaycieCam
02-10-2011, 10:59 PM
History: Has been studying for all her life to be a pilot, taking rides with her father as a kid, to training at the age of 12. Has exceptional memory so she can follow driving directions such as where to go and speed, to just remembering to put a seatbelt on. She is also fairly nifty with machinery so she can fix her shipes quickly.

current power level:
100/100
physical description:
Black hair in the style of a bob. Black eyes and about 5'10". Pale skin.
abilities and skills of note : Exceptional memorizational skills.

Awakening:

There was no feeling other than pain throughout her body. But pain was better than death. Death meant losing her dreams and ambitions, her loved ones. She did not know where she was, or her physical state. Had no memory of who she was, but she knew survival was important. "Coral, you must Survive. Survive. Coral, Survive." her head whispered repeatedly.

Memories came back one at a time. Dim, at first, getting brighter and brighter. Over the course of what felt like days but must have only been hours, she regained body control. She was able to wiggle her fingers. Move her legs.

A mirror hangs on the wall across from me. My face looks pale and alien. I should be old, and wrinkled, if my memories serve correctly. But I look young. Fresh, and new. I feel completley revived as the light enters my face. All of these emotions in a mere second.

leafy_kille
02-10-2011, 11:05 PM
I would send you a pm but since your a newbie I know that will be a problem for you, firstly have you actually read all of the background? and secondly you are going to need to do rather a lot more character development before I'll accept your character, also those powers are completely overkill.

please go and read ALL of the previous posts including all the spoilers and then make a proper character and post again if your still interested, this is not an rp for people who can't even make a proper character bio.

MaycieCam
02-10-2011, 11:15 PM
I edited my post with skills that are toned down about 99% and some more description. I haven't done the awakening because I don't want to do alot of writing until I know I have it done well. And feel free to send me a PM, I have practice.

* Just realised I totally missed the "History" requirement. Would you like that to be filled in?

Enigma
02-10-2011, 11:36 PM
Ok thats 2, I'm almost tempted to start it with just you two, I could probably get it to work but I'd have to do a huge amount of work as I'd be playing so many ppl on the ship that I'd rather have someone else playing, one more and I'll start this immediately, but if I don't get another person within a week or 2 ill start it anyway and see how it goes. I hope u guys are ok with that :)

I'm ok with that! Would it help if we wrote up second characters? I've played multiples before.

leafy_kille
02-10-2011, 11:44 PM
If you think you can handle it then yea sure go ahead, Ill be playing Eva Commander Tyne and Dave as my main characters (tho Eva is mostly for plot purposes) its a big ship so anything up to 20 individual characters is fine, more than that and ill have difficulty keeping track of everything! but try not to overlap skill sets too much as i don't want to end up with 3 communications technicians or similar! if we get a lot of ppl interested in joining you may be asked to give a character to someone else if you have lots, so don't go mad!

Enigma
02-13-2011, 02:36 AM
Character's Awakening: The cubs laughed as they chased each other on the green in the twilight, until one of them paused to point up at the sky. "Momma, what's that?" The pride's eyes turned to the sky, staring at a distant point of light. Teri felt her heart pounding in her chest as she realized it was growing bigger....

<reanimation cycle complete>

Teri's eyes fluttered, then she gave a great yawn, showing off her sharp teeth. Pain lanced through her sore muscles, making her clench. She hissed, mentally cursing whatever ham-fisted designer who'd come up with the chryostacis pod's none-so-gentle ministrations. There was a thump of the clamps releasing, then a wet hydraulic hiss as the transparent top lifted up.

"Good morning Sergeant Leonidas..." the nurse smiled, looking up from her data pad. The smile froze, then the pad slipped out of her nerveless hand to clatter on the floor.
"Is there a problem?" the human/feline crossbreed grumbled, stitting up to glare at the pale human cowering behind the float chair.
"You can talk?!?"
"Oh, for the love of..." the lioness muttered, hiding her face in her hand-like paw.
"Sergeant Teri Leonidas, Marine, Chimera Volunteers," fluted an unseen voice from the walls.
"Yes?"
"Dr. Sato is expecting you in room 331. Please have your nurse escort you."
"Understood," the feline nodded, rubbing her whiskers then brushing back her slight mane. She cocked an eye at the nurse. "I need something to wear and a brush."

history: The Chimera Program (http://role-player.net/forum/group.php?&do=discuss&groupid=60&discussionid=&gmid=1581#gmessage1581) was an experiment to genetically combine human and animal DNA to create an intelligent cross-breed that could survive in more challenging environments. Originally envisioned for interplanetary survey and 'search and rescue' operations, the program faltered with the advance of the Gorg.

A shuttle sent to pick up the human scientists discovered the test subjects, many of whom immediately volunteered for military service.

Teri was trained with other chimeras in a Marine boot camp. The Chimera Volunteer Company proved themselves to be excellent fighters, earning many awards for gallantry and bravery against the Gorg. Teri excelled in battle, helping to earn many citations and awards. She was advanced to Sergeant, and is the tiny ship's head of security, leading the meager ship's security force and axillary duties of assigning berths, outfitting and crew storage.

physical description: homo chimera panthera (http://role-player.net/forum/group.php?&do=discuss&groupid=60&discussionid=&gmid=1581#gmessage1581). Height 4' 8", 85 lbs, green-gold eyes, light tan pelt with a white patch under her throat.

abilities and skills of note: Retractable claws, enhanced strength, sense of smell, hearing. A loud roar that can momentary stun if unexpected.

leafy_kille
02-13-2011, 11:25 AM
Because this is a small ship, I think we should have a tiny galley at one end of the crew's mess/common room that spits out tv-tray dinners for all the meals. A bread machine and toaster oven, hot/cold water dispenser, instant beverage (to mix with the water)/condiment rack and a hydroponic wall unit that grows fresh fruit and veggies for salads, etc. Or do you have something else in mind?

I was thinking along fairly similar lines, however these would simply be the standard rations, they would meet nutritional requirements but wouldn't be particularly interesting, it would be possible for the crew to use their own energy to produce whatever they want using the synth points on the ship and that would include food if thats what they wanted but this would not be free.
the ship is far from small, it is in fact going to be huge, just the crew is gonna be small due to its new design to compensate for the lack of skilled crew.

Enigma
02-13-2011, 06:13 PM
When someone creates an object, it costs in energy. Can the object be converted back once it's no longer needed? Does that pay back into the balance?

Are there energy packs for combat? Otherwise I'm gonna have to ask for a bump for my marine.

leafy_kille
02-13-2011, 10:11 PM
yes objects can be converted back into energy tho reclamation is only 50% efficient at best, dependent on the composition of the object in question and can also be done at a synth point, combat characters may well get issued with better internal power storage systems as well as projectile weapons (which obviously will use energy to fire, that or bullets that will need to be synthesized) but this will be done in character as the rp will begin as the ship is preparing for launch from the Dyson Sphere. Everyone is to start off with a standard power unit at full charge and no other saved energy, think of it like starting at lvl1! also bear in mind most robotic systems will have power storage systems so if you want to do some looting it will be advisable to take a power storage unit with you, this will cost 10 energy to create and can store an additional 100 energy everyone will be issued with one (supplied empty) when we depart but any more than this and you will need to make it yourself, it can be used to recharge your internal unit or drained into the ship for safe keeping.
Recharging your internal unit in a dangerous location is highly inadvisable as your defense systems will need to be shut down to do this leaving you vulnerable to everything from bullets to unpleasant atmospheres, radiation hazards or even excessive gravity!
you can ofc do looting the standard way and just reclaim whatever it is you have carried back with you at the synth point on the ship, tho bear in mind bringing back unprocessed materials such as rocks or vegetation will yield very little energy!

also you will be payed in energy by the military, tho not very much (5/week) and the military really don't want you to die as making you a new body is really expensive so they wont let you run out, tho you may find they get a bit annoyed if you keep coming back with very little energy! aka you will get a free recharge of your internal power unit after every mission that may require you to use energy to keep you alive or to accomplish the task you have been set.

don't worry about it in too much detail as it will all be explained to you in character as you will all be issued with a military grade defense system as civilian ones are really not designed for dealing with weapons fire.

Belnazar
02-14-2011, 01:44 AM
Hey, ive been inactive for a couple of days, let me go back over everything to re-familiarise myself with it all and I will be good to go!

RootZero
02-14-2011, 09:43 PM
Sara opened her eyes. Physically, she felt the lids slide across the surfaces, but in her vision, nothing changed. Dry. She was thirsty. It was cold.

There was pain.

Sara opened her eyes. It was warmer, but just as dark. She was thirsty, but the air was more moist now. Now? There had been a past. This was a new concept. Her breath hissed past her lips, loud in the silence. This was new too.

Pain surged again.

She woke to a repetetive sound. It bubbled softly, then creaked, then bubbled again. Her mouth was thick with blood. It tasted familiar, like home.

Bubble, creak.

The sound tickled. Bubble. The sensation was to pain like the distant spinning specks in her vision were to light. Creak.

She coughed, and her ribs exploded in agony. It was almost enough to drive her back beneath the surface of unconsciousness, but her body was aware of the damage now, and fighting with every scrap of energy she had to keep her alive. Energy, she thought desperately. How could she have run out?

Eventually the pain settled back to manageable levels. Bubble, creak.

She spat blood, blinked more of it from her eyes, and tried to focus. Bubble, creak.

"Don't even bother, lieutenant."

She creaked in another breath, strong enough to speak. No, to swear. The words that left her mouth weren't coherent enough to be called speech.

Creak, bubble.

"It's over. Bye bye, baby."

Her eyes focused just in time to see the gun drawn, aimed at her head. Memory flooded back. She had survived. Something had saved her. Someone...

Sara opened her eyes. There was light. She looked at herself looking at herself. Funny, she remembered black hair, not the short brown crop she saw reflected. Older eyes, too, bluer than this dusty hue. She must have changed again and forgotten.

<Storage…> she thought bitterly, <Packed away like a dusty toy again.>

<Please relax> someone thought back.

<Eva?>

<That’s correct. You will find your memories coming back to you soon, you will have many questions right now but wait until you are fully revived and out of your pod because by that time hopefully most of them will have been answered.>

There was more pain, but she didn’t care. The tide of returning self washed away mere physical returns. Where was she?

Sara stretched her new body, testing the limits of the young limbs, then climbed out of the pod. Lieutenant Ashby watched her with disapproval.

“This is one too many times, Sergeant. I hope you’re ready to go back into service soon.”

Sergeant? Too far back…

The pod was colder than usual, awakening just as painful… she’d died again? No, not again… she didn’t remember…

Sara climbed out of the pod, into the arms of waiting attendants who steadied her legs. She pushed them away angrily, determined to stand on her own.

“So I’m wanted again, huh? Done with stashing me in the coldbox?”

“Lieutenant, you know full well by now that you were put into cryostasis for your own safety. Most of the people you have… antagonised… have forgotten you by now. You came within a hairsbreadth of being forgotten by everyone else too. You should count yourself lucky that Commander Tyne has decided to take you on.”

She exhaled. It was true.
“Fine. When do I get to see the new boss?”

Yes, that was the last one… she recalled now. There had been too many close calls, too many enemies… and now, a fresh start. Perhaps this time she would clean up her act for real.

---

Lieutenant Sara Whitson

Power level : 100/100

Age: 46 (+ some 20 odd spent in old-style cryo even before the mass storage), physically 22

Physical description: Young, physically fit body produced for military service. Currently short at 5'2" with short brown hair and murky blue eyes. Several scars from imperfect healing due to her tendency to run her power pack into the ground and get into fights.

Abilities and skills of note: Experienced fighter, knowing her way around most standard issue weapons. Has shown very high affinity for certain experimental implanted weapons, records of which are available to her commanding officers, but the memory of which she lost during a 'death and reboot'.

leafy_kille
02-15-2011, 10:39 AM
my my thats really rather good Root Zero (surely the root of zero is just zero?), I was expecting the worst when yet another newbie showed up in my rp but you have done a very good job of character creation, your in!
I think it would be best if your position aboard the ship was decided ic as I'm not sure if you will fit best in the standard combat unit under Teri or as special ops reporting directly to Commander Tyne, tho it may well end up as a bit of both.

I believe we now have enough players to get this started, more characters are still being accepted, either if you can cope with running, and want to run, a second (or even third but please don't try to do more than you can deal with as this rp is liable to get really complicated) or if your new to this rp and want to join.

It will take me a little while to write up the start of the rp so there will likely be a gap of a day or two from now before I get it started, during which time anyone with any further questions should contact me by pm or post on here if they feel its relevant to everyone.

lets make this a role play to remember people :) I have enough plot ready for at least a few months tho it may last rather longer dependent on how often I can post, and how much you get side tracked!

leafy_kille
02-18-2011, 09:33 PM
http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12002 here is the ic thread, sorry for the delay.

RootZero
03-10-2011, 03:01 PM
Very sorry for disappearing, guys. I've been struggling with RL lately, and this totally slipped my mind. I'll try not to let it happen again.

leafy_kille
03-10-2011, 04:36 PM
Hey, ive been inactive for a couple of days, let me go back over everything to re-familiarise myself with it all and I will be good to go!

unless i hear from you in the next couple of days im going to take over your character as you are holding things up, im not going to wait for you forever

leafy_kille
03-13-2011, 02:12 AM
ok thats quite long enough Belnazar your character is here by stolen by the gm, as in me. if you want it back send me a pm otherwise i will assume you are not coming back. its a shame really as you seem to be a decent role player.
as for everyone else sorry for the delay this caused the next update will be tomorrow and further characters will be added later, this was only meant to be an opening scene, it was expected to last 3 days tops!

i will also be introducing a few red shirts, i wont bother to give them a bio as they wont last long, just view them as generic army personnel trained in weapons and discipline and not much else! its up to your role play how long they last, if they last more than a few weeks ill give them a bio and start actually playing them properly!

note to any new or current player i'm going to be playing a huge number of characters before too long so if you feel you would like to play one of my characters (with the exception of Dave, commander Tyne or Eva who are mostly for plot purposes) please feel free to contact me. if you want to play one of the red shirts you will need to create a bio.

Enigma
03-13-2011, 04:23 AM
yay! game time! game time tomorrow! ^ _ ^

leafy_kille
03-14-2011, 01:32 AM
do people want a formal combat system with damage points and rounds and such or do you want to do it free form?

personally I was thinking free form, just describe what you do and I'll let you know what damage you take and what energy is used from your PDS when you use it for stuff.
But if the consensus is that you want a formal combat system I do have one that could be used, tho it will likely make combat take a long time unless you are online at the same time as me.

Enigma
03-14-2011, 04:51 AM
do people want a formal combat system with damage points and rounds and such or do you want to do it free form?

personally I was thinking free form, just describe what you do and I'll let you know what damage you take and what energy is used from your PDS when you use it for stuff.
But if the consensus is that you want a formal combat system I do have one that could be used, tho it will likely make combat take a long time unless you are online at the same time as me.

Freeform is fine with me! But if anyone else wants to use a system, I'm adaptable!

Enigma
03-17-2011, 03:42 PM
Too much?

leafy_kille
03-17-2011, 03:45 PM
no not too much, it is an awesome post, I will hopefully have time to post a reply tonight

leafy_kille
03-27-2011, 12:32 PM
sorry for the rather long delay, real life has got in the way rather a lot recently, but I will now be able to get back to posting every other day at least, hopefully every day.