PDA

View Full Version : Hook Me in 25 Words or Less

Enigma
01-05-2011, 10:13 PM
I hope I have this in the right forum! ^ _ ^;

As writers, we all try to hook the readers into the story - the earlier the better. So for practice (and fun), using 25 words or less, write the first sentence or so of a story.

Also, please feel free to rate the "hooks" before yours. Please don't be unkind.

Enigma
01-05-2011, 10:15 PM
"If I can't have you," he screamed, pointing his sword at me, "then nobody can!"
"Uh, do I know you?" I blinked, leaning back.

The revolutionary crashed through the window and glared.
"I claim...!" he managed before I smashed the bottle on his head. God I hate warm beer.

"It's her, the assassin!" someone screamed, pointing at me. I do get a lot of this, but not when I'm on vacation.

Tiny bearded men were hacking at the remains of my new washer and dryer. I gave up and went to the laundromat.

Sapphire
01-05-2011, 10:22 PM
The lull of the rain off the roof relaxed Emma enough to finally fall asleep. The only thing she was terrified of transpiring was her dreams.....

Enigma
01-07-2011, 03:52 AM
The lull of the rain off the roof relaxed Emma enough to finally fall asleep. The only thing she was terrified of transpiring was her dreams.....

Good hook, the reader will definitely want to know more about her dreams.

Pastel Apathy
01-07-2011, 04:03 AM
Metal clanging against stone rang through the dungeon. Each cell held a nameplate, a color, as well as one to three shapes on it, outside the barred door.

I went over by about... three words, but I got into it.

Miss Devil
01-07-2011, 04:08 AM
A cold shiver ran deep into the very core of this being. Another more of a tremble. The sound of a distant train and a longing of dreams that would never see the daylight.