PDA

View Full Version : A story from the mind of Higurashi

Higurashi
01-12-2011, 06:57 PM
Chapter 1:
Ivaria-Realm of the Gods

War Eternal The man stood at the brink of the crater, looking down at all the destruction before him. He was clad in dirty steel armor, which was rusted at points. His cloak had no identifiable color other than grey. It could have possibly been a vibrant blue in the past, but stains and wear had worn the color. The cloak was frayed at the bottom edges, some places were torn, possibly by a passing rock or thistle bush. The man had the hood of the cloak over his head, covering his face.

At his side he had a sword. Unlike the rest of his attire, it still shined like it was new. It was a medium sized blade, one that could be held with both hands, or with a shield. The hilt was simple made to hold easily, and swing with a strong stroke. It was wrapped in dark leather, with a single red gem at the end. The cross of the blade was shaped like wings and fragile looking, but it would hold against all but the weapons of the Gods it seemed.

Quite possibly, that was what the man would now face, for he was in Avaria itself. Avaria was forbidden, as it was the realm of all Gods, be they malicious or benevolent. The Gods constantly warred here, trying to wrest power from each other. It was a desolate place, wiped clean again and again by the Gods immortal combat.

One God would decide that he wanted to create a world of green, and would start growing plants and nature in abundance. Another God, who would prefer the fires and magma of destruction, would bring forth his own creations to combat the nature. Both of the Gods would become enraged at the audacity of the other, and another war would erupt. So went the cycle of the Gods.

The man, a mere mortal in comparison to the Gods, was glad for the mercy that this world provided. If it were not for this reality, Airavi, the realm of mortals, would be ravaged continuously, until nothing was left. It was a conundrum that the man faced, for he had a choice. He was the one to choose whether the realm of Mortals should come to know the Gods. It would be unfair, the man considered if they were denied the knowledge. At the same time, the ignorance of mortals was their bliss. For, if the Gods came to the Mortal realm, all would be swept away in the Gods’ own greed.

The man then turned from the crater, walking back to his steed. His steed was not a horse, mule, or any other mortal creature. It was a creature of the Gods’ realm, one which had survived the Chaos. Its named was Ivicarus, and it had chosen the Man to be its companion. The Man had not tamed the Beast; rather, the beast had tamed him. It allowed him to ride on its back, for the time being.

It was fair, in its own way. It appeared to have the body of a dog, with wings that spanned further than its entire body length. Its face was noble, and had the features of a hunting hound. It tail was long and well brushed. Its legs and feet were not definable, and always seemed to be shrouded in a haze. As such, it may have not had legs at all. Ivicarus’s eyes were its most defining feature. They shone like the sun glittering on the water. As the man drew near it, Ivicarus raised its head, somehow staring directly into the man’s eyes.

“So you have returned,” the Beast said in its own voice. The voice was hard to describe. It sounded like waves lapping on the shore, or a fire crackling merrily. It flowed soothingly, much like a mother shushing its infant. “I had thought that your mind was swallowed up by the Chaos.”

“No, it merely served to order my thoughts,” The man replied. His voice was gruff, yet bold. It held the knowledge of many years hard travel, but you could trust it all the same. “I would like to set off once more, if you would. My destination is the Irresolute Lands.”

“You are sure you want to go there?” Ivicarus counted. “Those lands are dangerous. I came from there, if you remember. Even those places from which I came would have changed already.”

The man considered the Beast’s words. He had to be careful with the Beast, despite their bond. As he rode on Ivicarus on by its consent, he had to mind its words carefully. Even after all this time, Ivicarus still knew the realm of the God’s better than the man did. It had lived here for longer than it remembered after all.

“Okay then,” the man finally responded. “Where would you recommend that we search than? We have already gone through the Domain of Eros, not to mention that what he gave me while we were there.” As he said this, the man unconscious raised a hand to his face, touching a deep scar across his left cheek.