Another now wood;
A girl become bone,
The second smooth bronze.
Their friends and family grieved,
But soon they turned cold;
And thus the poor children fled.
And where they went,
Little can be said.

“I have long supposed the clown to be an agent of dark forces, disguised in a most lovable form, to more easily allay our suspicions of their macabre motives. A studious man might discover that the clown’s roots lay in Mledyr, which is certainly with all justification known as the Island of Dreadful things, and what is a clown if not dreadful?”

—Duke Amante Vonpa IV, the ninety-ninth Duke of Starkeep.

The Kingdom of Arf:

http://i38.tinypic.com/289a07r.jpg

Tinker Town:

http://i33.tinypic.com/2v8ivzs.jpg

“Let me pause a moment to speak of Tinker Town, which is altogether a bizarre and unforgettable place. There is a tradition there of mechanically minded education; and of the invention and reparation of intriguing gadgets, and where the residents possess a strong taste for flare and vibrant colour upon both their persons and in the decorum of their eccentric town.

They are not governed so much as annoyed by their bawdy Lord Ord; who frequents masques and parties more often than his own office, but they all somehow manage their own affairs with reasonable efficiency.

Within the Kingdom of Arf they are much advanced beyond their neighbours, possessing the rudimentary technology which is making a breakthrough in other realms; such as the steam engine, and the printing press, and the camera obscura.

I encountered here but few of the ridiculous types of person that inhabit Arf, such as the pigmen of Ressitudia or the glimmerthocks from Axor’s Island, and I confess that they were among the most strange and wonderful persons I have laid eyes upon, but were also possessed of the most peculiar mannerisms and habits that are generally what make Arf such an intolerable place, aside from its tendency to surprise the ignorant traveler with all varieties of alarming creatures that hail from the most ancient and unbelievable of myths.

Would I recommend traveling there? Perhaps, but only for a short while.”

—Fedicks Beeter, renowned scholar of Lammark.

The Accursed Children:

http://i34.tinypic.com/211tlyf.jpg

Behold… the Boy of Wood! A boy, with a marionette’s semblance, an expression of deepest sorrow wrought in his carven face; a tattered top hat crowning his smooth head, his limbs long and slender. He is agile, he is nimble, but his frail parts might splinter with ease, and he should beware the ravages of fire!

http://i33.tinypic.com/2r5u42d_th.jpg

Behold… the Girl of Bone! From which nightmare has this poor girl sprung? For her emaciated form is naught but a skeleton, thick of frame; and these bones are polished to purest alabaster. Among her comrades she bears the most brawn, but a calculated blow might cause her to fall apart, and she should beware the hungry predator that prowls for a tasty treat!

http://i34.tinypic.com/3y34x_th.jpg

Behold… the Boy of Stone! The earth rumbles at his approach. He looms over his comrades, a boulder in human form. He has but to lie down and become one with the scenery! Be not fooled by his girth, for therein lies no excessive strength, but swords that strike him will blunt, and fire will but tickle him! Yet he moves only with great sloth, and should be wary of his gargantuan weight!

http://i36.tinypic.com/10gxwg2_th.jpg

Behold… the Girl of Bronze! Ah, did ever the great La Cummetti shape such a heavenly sculpture? Her gleaming features frozen in cruelest despair, she is heralded by the clangor of her footsteps, like a hammer striking an anvil. Furthermore, her fingers should be called talons, for they are long and sharp, to rend all but the hardiest flesh! However, she should fear the cold, lest she become frozen and impotent!

Additional Characters:

http://i33.tinypic.com/118ojv5_th.jpg

Behold... the The Dworb Farmer (http://i37.tinypic.com/2s7gi1w.jpg)! His are a race of square men and women, short of stature and great of brawn, who hail from the Midnight Mountains. The dworbs are a race of tradesmen, from blacksmiths to miners to jewellers, with little inclination for less material professions such as those of the banker, or the lawyer, or the governor. The Dworb Farmer, far from his homeland, has ventured to Tinker Town with a most rare and curious line of stock: magic beans. It is well known that the Midnight Mountains are rife with pixies and other pests, and, in defending their crops, the dworbs are forced to slay them. Yet this travelling Farmer suffered the grave misfortune that his soil should be tainted by pixie blood, and lo, that blighted earth has produced these most eldritch of beans. When planted, they grow quickly and sprout arbitrary and often worthless goods, but there is perhaps an eccentric count from Tinker Town who might deign to purchase them.

Character Profile:

There are five slots thus far: one for each of the children, and one for the Dworb Farmer, who will come into play shortly after the commencement of the story.

Name: [including which child you are, unless you are the Farmer]

Personality: [Please include at least ten different traits with as much or as little description as you desire]

History: [Anything important or interesting that happened to your character]

Possessesions: [The children will possess only meagre items, such as trinkets, or small tools. The Farmer may possess a horse and cart or something that serves the same purpose (a gigantic beetle with a basket strapped to its back would be acceptable for example), as well as a rudimentary weapon]

The Setting:

It's a fantastic, fairy tale style world, with hints of steampunk. You should expect all manner of outrageous things, and what is presented to you in this post is merely the tip of the iceberg. You, as a player, will also have the opportunity to make your own creative contributions. I am only here to guide you.

You will begin in Tinker Town, shortly after the transformation of your characters, who have grown alienated from their friends and family, and are starting to consider remedying their affliction.

If you feel inspired by what you have read here, and believe yourself to have a firm grasp of the material, then by all means, post a profile, and let's get this adventure underway.

Illusionist
11-16-2009, 04:28 PM
Sounds interesting. I'll play.

Name: Johnathan Miller (the boy of Stone)

Personality: He likes to lead and prefers actions over words. He appears nonchalant sometimes because he doesn't talk alot. He has a nerd-ish interest in steam technology, and likes to make sketches of possible inventions. Sometimes he's over critical of himself and he'll blame himself for problems that may not be his fault. He tends to be protective, doesn't like taking unnecessary risks, and he's not easily angered.

History: He's the son of a toy maker. He and his father lived above their small shop on Tinker Street. His father made mostly moving toys that ran on tiny steam engines such as toy cars, trains, or even dolls. His father had been trying to get him to take on his craft, but the more Johnathan learned about making toys the more he wanted to make larger inventions.

Possessions: A scroll of parchment which contains all his sketches of possible steam-powered inventions (and some blank space for more) and a pen and ink.

nonangelic92
11-16-2009, 11:41 PM
Name: Chloris Attis (Girl of Bronze)

Personality: Funny, talkative, stubborn, charming, graceful, loves to be around nature, hates cities, quick-tempered, easy-going, colorful

History: She's the daughter of a painter and a pottery maker. Her father taught her how to enjoy the colors of life, when everyone else just see's black and white. Her mother taught her how to make almost anything, by using the materials that you have around you.

Possessesions: Many different types of colorful powders to make any type of color of paint, and some parchment, for if she is inspired at a random moment, that she may sit down and paint a beautiful picture.

Lancrist
11-17-2009, 11:50 PM
These two are good, hopefully we can get at least another two.

Govannon
11-18-2009, 06:03 PM
Name: Ridley Barclay, The Boy of Wood

Personality: Imaginative, good at planning, lateral thinker, funny, impulsive, confident (sometimes overly so), loves the city, vengeful, can occasionally cross the line between funny and scary, quick witted.

History: The son of an esteemed prankster, Ridley took after his father at a very young age, and his father was quick to encourage him. He grew very skilled at planning his little ambushes and, for a time, simply walking down his street was considered to be a deeply entertaining, if harrowing, experience. But then The Clown came, and Ridley changed. Pranks that used to be entertaining were now downright terrifying and Ridley's laughs grew hollow. Now, the people are frightened of him and he wants nothing more than to return to how he was.

Possessions: Small bags of various powders (itching, sneezing and stink), as well as a small 'happy face' insignia.

Bravado
11-18-2009, 10:35 PM
Before I begin, if I may, I must tell you that you are one of the most incredible writers I've indulged in. It truly was a pleasure to read your introduction, and I'm not trying to brown-nose. Are there any male roles left, or are the two claimed with certainty?

mere
11-18-2009, 11:20 PM
Name: Minna Rentsiski ( The Girl Of Bone )

Personality: Very enthusiastic, ( Sometimes to enthusiastic) Funny, imaginative. Unfortunately when it comes to situations, she often loses control of herself. And me ready to be slightly confused when she's around.

History: Minna was often the girl who would want to play anything with anyone, and enjoyed other peoples company. She never gave anyone any trouble, including her secretive parents. Her parents often didn't talk or play with Minna, leaving her to make friends herself. Unfortunately, her mother disappeared one day, leaving her with her gone insane father. He Never came out of his work much anymore, leaving Minna even more alone then before. She never gave up on her happiness though, and continued to make friends to make up for her missing mother.

Possessions: Minna keeps a Pendent attached to her necklace made by her mother. She also keeps a yo-yo like toy with her when she grows bored, which isn't very often.

Lancrist
11-18-2009, 11:40 PM
@ Govannon

Add 'the Boy of Wood' to your profile just so it's clear.

@ Bravado

The Dworb Farmer is available.

@ Everyone

The IC (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?p=40646#post40646) is up. Note that I will not have a character, I will simply be DMing.

Also, consider Govannon's profile in particular: he has taken something from the map (the Prankster's Guild) and used it. As you would have realized from reading this, there's no clear, concise goal (like "kill the bad guy and save the world") so you're going to have to use the information I give you and make decisions based off of it, much like you were playing D&D or a similar game. However, as a hint, you may decide to try and find this clown in order to repeal the curse. But where would you start? I leave that up to you, but if you have questions, feel free to ask.

Whoever wishes to post first can, and so on, but once all four of you have posted, that becomes the order, until the Dworb Farmer enters the story.

@ Anyone else reading this

There will be more support roles (like the Dworb Farmer) opening up as the story progresses.

Govannon
11-19-2009, 12:24 AM
Alright, the profile is edited, I guess I forgot that, sorry.
One quick question that I might be able to use as a starting point. The quote at the top of the page by the duke, the one that contains "the clown’s roots lay in Mledyr". Is that quote common knowledge, or something obscure? (ie. would our characters likely know it or not?)

Govannon
11-19-2009, 04:20 AM
From IC thread:

" Well, we're back here again, what would you all like to talk about tonight?"

"The same thing we talk about every night Minna, HOW TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!!!!"

Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest and it didn't really seem to fit IC...

Lancrist
11-19-2009, 04:54 AM
It would be accessible to the children - in the town's library for instance - but I doubt it would be something they would readily know. I added that mainly to add some flavour to the introduction.

Guys, I'm absolutely astonished that you've all posted already. I've got this same RP going on RoleplayerGuild, which I put up about a week ago. I've been pestering and pestering all my players, and only three of them have posted in that time, with one dropping out - but each of you have already posted! This, for me, is amazing. Well done.

Also, just a pointer for future reference:

If there comes a time where your posts are reduced to only one or two lines because you're in the middle of a conversation with another character, instead of making a bunch of short posts, message each other on the forum, or by some other program, and organize the whole conversation in one go, then have one of you post all of it, or each of you post half of it (or divide it by however many people there are).

Oh yeah,

You guys can proceed with another round of posts, but try not to leave Tinker Town just yet; that's what the Dworb Farmer is for.

Lancrist
11-19-2009, 01:10 PM
I've got a proposition for you guys.

If you are experienced roleplayers - which I'm guessing from your writing that you all are - you will be aware of the problems we face when it comes to deciding important outcomes where there are a conflict of interests. In our situation, the conflict of interest will appear as your characters attempting to achieve a goal, and me, as a DM, throwing up obstacles and challenges to hinder your progress.

So I've got a little 'system' that we can implement, if you guys like it, that will add a little bit of spice to the roleplay and give you, as a player, defined options that you can undertake in order to accomplish something in game. The point, mainly, is to challenge you as a writer; hopefully that's something all of you are interested in.

What I am proposing is the 5 S system, where each S stands for:

Stunt: An impressive feat of physical skill.
Strategy: A clever solution to the problem using lateral thinking.
Soliloquy: A top notch stretch of dialogue.
Show: A brilliant description.
Sacrifice: Your character loses something - whether it be an important possession, a loved one, their health, or even their life. You will only encounter this one occasionally, and it will serve to increase the intensity of a situation.

When your characters are faced with an obstacle, I will assign each of you at least one of these categories for you to fulfill to overcome that obstacle. The way you complete the task will be entirely up to you.

So, as an example:

The accursed children are wandering through the forest when...

...Behold! A ravenous wereturkey erupts from the foliage!
[2 STUNTS]
[1 STRATEGY]
[1 SHOW]

Basically, it's just something to make your roleplaying experience a little different, and to make you flex your literary muscles.

Govannon
11-19-2009, 04:22 PM
I'm okay with it, although I think that if we do that we need to get rid of the posting order, because I'm last right now and I really don't want to end up getting stuck with the leftovers all the time...

Bravado
11-19-2009, 10:17 PM
The guidelines are terrific; good leadership. I'll likely be posting a character sheet for the role of the Dwarf Farmer within the next three days, but if interest sooner appears, please don't hesitate to accept that individual in my place. I understand that you must keep things moving.

nonangelic92
11-20-2009, 12:51 AM
hey guys bad news my internet is going off tomorrow

Lancrist
11-20-2009, 11:28 PM
What, for good?

nonangelic92
11-21-2009, 08:11 AM
good news my internet will be stayin up til the 1st

Lancrist
11-26-2009, 12:33 AM
That conversation you guys are having is probably gonna stagnate pretty quick, so I suggest you head on out of the tower and pick up any equipment you might need. Also, feel free to question any NPCS around the town - make them up as required. Leave their answers up to me, though. Also, the "Mother Goose" is an inn, if I hadn't clarified that already.

Another reminder about conversations - you can sort 'em out in PM and post the whole thing in one go so the story moves along quicker.

I've asked Bravado if he wants to play the Dworb Farmer, if not, I'll be taking on that role.

Govannon
12-06-2009, 10:50 PM
... c'mon guys. POST!!

Fira Fidelity
12-08-2009, 06:18 AM
-waits for more supporting roles.-

Govannon
12-13-2009, 07:43 AM
So, what do you want to do? I'm still here, but it doesn't seem like anyone else is...