PDA

View Full Version : Short Fantasy Tidbit - Fantasy War Plot excerpt

Alas PoorYorick
11-17-2009, 12:32 AM
Towering above, the beast Yzinigem roars. An abomination of biblical proportions it was, of scales of tempered steel glimmering in the darkness of the Thousand Hall. Eyes of burning Rubies twinkled like the Star of death in a void so pitch black, the ebon of dawn hath no match for the Darkness that encroached all around him. The smell of burning sulphur hung heavily across the gloomy silence, stopped only by the breaths of mortals, jaws agape at the creature as black as twillight, throats choked with incomprehensible sounds that were words choked by sheer fright.

The creature's roar resounded across the hollow emptiness of the Thousand Hall, trampling hopes and bravery like a small spark snuffed beneath the heels of a creature so gigantic. It's roar, the sound of the Northwind howling at their very faces stole from the brave adventurer's faces the same enthusiasm they had fighting the Cypharang only moments ago.

"Ready boys, this one's the Mother of All slogs!" yelled out Mercenary Captain Aulduren, a moment of silence ensuing before Thunyeri let loose a roar and the heretic Zeumi rattled the ear bone chimes along with his shrunken voice, a shriveled and slit voicebox shuddering with the rush of air.

"By the Gods..." Elseria whispered to my ear, "These men are mad..."

And from the tempest of his Throat, Yzinigem let loose a stream of brilliant orange, engulfing us all in a towering wall of bright flame. Sulfur and Tar singed flesh and boiled brains in skulls, the agonizing screams of those outside the warding Chant twitching, flesh welded to hauberks, teeth and bones snapping like twigs leaving behind charred remains, the heavy smell of tar and burnt meat hanging heavily in the air, a weak cough let out by the Halfling Daelthor, shaft drawn at ready.

I look all around, the warmth in Elseria's hands fading away as I looked into the empty sockets of the charred skulls, jaws snapped but agape, etched with total anguish and despair.

And from that day, I found why Yzinigem, the last of the Draconic stock of Baelbarong, the torch of the Heavenly skies, was indeed called 'The fiend of Sulfur and Maelsthrom'.