PDA

View Full Version : Markem MacCooper Ch3

SikstaSlathalin
11-18-2009, 09:01 PM
Chapter 3
A Seaworthy Encounter

Markem gets to the port and decides that he can’t sneak onto the ship. He’ll have to pose as a sailor, so he waits for one the right size to approach. About five minutes before shove off, one finally does. A fox, 5’6, golden red fur, and a beautiful sgian dubh in his belt. He leaps out of the ally, grabs the fox about the neck, yanks him in, punches him in the stomach, and slams his head into a trash can.
“Sorry lad, didn't mean to hurt ya. But I have to get to Paris, and I like this way a lot more then buying a ticket.” He takes off his dark forest green T-shirt, homemade moccasins, and belt-sash. Replaces them with the foxes small, white and blue striped tank-top, old leather sea boots and brown belt. He also takes the fox’s sgian dubh and puts it in his belt.
“Criminy, you are one scrawny fox.” He puts his stuff in his backpack and walks to the ship. It’s one of those old-fashioned pirate like cruise ships before he gets on, someone grabs his shoulder. Out of a reflex action, Markem flips the creature over his shoulder.
“Ah, who, what, when.” He says confused.

“WHAT THE HELL IS YOUR PROBLEM!” Shouts the wolf Markem assaulted.
“You dare attack Captain Ridd!” The wolf snarls grabbing Markem's throat.
“I am sorry Cap’n, please forgive me.”
“Give me your name, you're on probation!”
“Um Archie uhh… Blackstripe, yeah Archie Blackstripe."
“Ok Archie you’ll be a swabby for the rest of the trip.”
“A what Cap’n?”
"A swabby, a swab, a janitor man.” Ridd gives him the keys to the whole ship, Markem “Archie” gets a smile on his face a mile wide.
“Thank ye sir, I shan't fail you.” As he salutes he thinks still wearing the smile. Tis just like Christmas. The ship sets sail and Archie sets about his "job" casing the ship as he cleans. Before too long he notices some suspicious activity, members of the crew are going into the richer guests rooms and coming out with bags of loot disguised as laundry.
“Oooo clever mates, very clever indeed.” He stalks them for a bit then they put their ill-begotten goods down this is the chance a young thief hopes for. He distracts them by throwing a bolt down the corridor.
“What was that?” Says the eye-patched mouse.
“Don’t know lets look.” Responds a peg-legged weasel when they disappear down the hall, Markem comes out of hiding. He goes over to the laundry bags and manages to pinch two of them, but as he goes for the third, his paw meets another thief’s.

A cute squirrel girl, his age disguised as a waitress. He tries to snatch it from her but she slaps his hand with a knife blade.
“No touch you D-bag.” She sheaths her knife.
“Ow lass what was that for?” He rubs his paw.
“You tried stealing my loot.”
“Your loot! since when?”
"Since I saw it duh.”
“Don’t you duh me.”
“What are you gonna do about it huh. Would you hit a girl?”
“No never, not without good reason. And this is good enough.” He draws his sgian dubh and does a horizontal slash, but she is quicker and blocks it.
“Wow aren’t we quick?” He smiles at heras she immediately goes to stab him, but he is also quick and grabs her arm.
“Ow that hurts! Let go!” He lets go of her quickly.
“Sorry, sorry I didn't mean to are you alright?”
“Ha-ha sucker!” She jumps up and kicks him in the gut sending him to the hard wood floor. She then grabs her two bags and runs down the opposite hall.
“Och I think I’m in love." The guards are returning from investigating his bolt throw so he takes up the bags and makes a break for it back the way he came after throwing some decoy bags in place of the real ones. He stashed his treasure then went back to cleaning, keeping a wary eye out for the squirrelly thief girl. An hour later Archie is off duty so he decides he's gonna look around and see what would be a good escape route if he gets caught looking up some some kind of idea. He didn’t see the big badger in front of him, and he crashed right into him.
“Oyo watch where you’re going kid!”
“Sorry.” Replies Markem blankly.

When the sailor stood he realized his wallet was stolen.
“Hey, come back here you stole my wallet!”
“Who me.” The boy says innocently.
“Of bloody course, boy, who else?!”
“I’ll have to get back to you on that.” He runs but the rest of the nearby crew cut him off and shout encouragments to their burly crewmate.
"He’ll have to teach ya some manners boy!”
“Yeah teach him good Arthur!”
“Show him what happens hwen ye steal from this crew!”
“Nowhere to run kid ya can still beg for my mercy.” The badge smiles cracking his knuckles. Markem crosses his arms and starts tapping his footpaw on the deck.
“Please sir don’t insult my intelligence, besides you're not worth my time. I gotta get my teeth cleaned." He jumps swiftly over the crowd and continues on his way. But they grab and throw him back to the mad badger.
“That’s it, time to say night-night.” He swings a massive black paw but the ever nimble Markem ducks and gives Arthur a roundhouse kick square to the ribs sending the Sailor to his knees
"What the... how?” He mumbles standing up.
“About three years of karate.” Arthur charges our young thief to no avail, young MacCooper runs forward and unleashes a series jabs and kicks. He then uppercuts the sailor, launching him a foot into the air.
“And that’s ten years of kickboxing.” The stunned crew leaps on Markem who untangles himself from the melee just to be attacked by an enraged Arthur with a wooded stick, but before a blow falls our hero snatches the stick and wails the badger soundly until THUD, all goes dark.
To Be Continued…

Cleopatra
11-26-2009, 03:04 AM
Dialogue is good here, but it'd be better if when Mark and the squirrel chick first meet you put in more description in the surrounding and circumstances. Actually that could be said for the whole thing.

And it'd be good if you could get more into Mark's mind, so the reader could understand his reasonings for going to Paris and his ideas and thoughts. Otherwise it'll be harder to get into the story.

SikstaSlathalin
11-26-2009, 03:05 AM
Nifty