PDA

View Full Version : Legendary

Enigma
03-18-2011, 05:56 AM
Legendary!

A mythic adventure world of gods, heroes and magic.

Did you read the Greek stories of Hercules, the Golden Fleece? Conan the Barbarian? Sinbad the sailor? Ali Baba and the 40 thieves? Arthur and the Knights of Camelot? Robin Hood?

What I want to do is to create a world capable of creating legendary heroes and legendary adventures. And while there's a great resource in Patricia Wrede's Worldbuilding Questions (http://www.sfwa.org/2009/08/fantasy-worldbuilding-questions/) , to make a world as diverse as possible, I really do need your help.

I've wanted to create a fantasy world for gaming for a very long time but let's face it, worlds are great big things! So what I'm looking for are people who want to work together to begin to fill in the map. To create nations and empires. Towns and cities. Thieves and heroes. Myths and legends.

There will be magic!

There will be pantheons!

There will be adventure!

There will be dragons!

But to make that I need your help.

Fox Xalian
03-18-2011, 05:39 PM
I put my hand up! I'll help!

StormWolf
03-18-2011, 05:53 PM
You had me at conan

Enigma
03-18-2011, 05:56 PM
I put my hand up! I'll help!

You had me at conan

Yay! I've got two! Tell me what you want to see in a fantasy gaming world?

Ace of Hearts™
03-18-2011, 06:01 PM
I hold my sword at your word! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKhbt3fLZJ4)

Enigma
03-18-2011, 09:46 PM
Wonderful! Tell me, what do you want to see in a fantasy gaming world?

Ace of Hearts™
03-18-2011, 09:50 PM
How about a darker fantasy world?

Enigma
03-18-2011, 09:56 PM
Grittier with horror creatures? Werewolves, vampires, ghosts & witches? That sort of darker fantasy?

Ace of Hearts™
03-18-2011, 10:04 PM
Yeah, but like people in power are all corrupt and slavery and all that good stuff.

StormWolf
03-18-2011, 10:07 PM
Feuds between nations and turbulent/violent politics within a nation and between races. Darker political issues like racism, genocide, slavery, religeous puritanism and prosicution, and so forth.

Ace of Hearts™
03-18-2011, 10:07 PM
Damn, he said it better than me.

Enigma
03-18-2011, 10:13 PM
some are corrupt, certainly. But not all. Got to have a few good kings and queens out there for the schemers to go after.

Ace of Hearts™
03-18-2011, 10:19 PM
Or, on the oppistie side of the spectrum, we could have it a parody of fantasy cliches and tropes. You know, Elves frolic gayly in the medow.

Enigma
03-18-2011, 10:24 PM
Parody would be a different sort of world. And elves can be quite evil.

Ace of Hearts™
03-18-2011, 10:27 PM
I know that, but generally they aren't.

Like I said, cliches.

K
03-18-2011, 10:34 PM
It'd be interesting to consider the logical outcomes of magical forces existing within a fantasy world, as paradoxical as it sounds. If you can bless crops, control the weather, and cure ailments using arcane power, then magic effectively becomes a form of ultra-technology. Take it a step further, and you have inscribed stones that act like cell-phones, massive structures that create portals to the major cities, and the ability to create a utopia/dystopia to your liking.

This could all be drastically influenced by how magic itself works, though. If anyone can do it, you can get a magical arms race. If it requires training, institutions that teach it may hold the power. If it's "genetic", then you could get arcane dynasties or bloodlines. If magic is dependent on a physical resource, that resource may replace gold as the backing behind most currencies, and would be an insanely valuable commodity. If divine forces grant magical power in exchange for worship, then religious institutions may dominate.

More where this came from, if you're interested.

Ace of Hearts™
03-18-2011, 10:35 PM
That, sounds brilliant.

K
03-18-2011, 10:45 PM
To take things even further, consider the consequences of magic existing at all. If magic is a very rare and impotent force, then history will follow similar patterns to that of our own world. If it's more common, and far more effective, then you have serious challenges to traditional governments and social structures.

Why should the great-great-great grandson of some tribal chieftain who united ancient clans together rule over an empire of almost a million people, when anyone can pinch a little "pixie dust" for themselves and be more than self-sufficient in the wild?

Once a sufficiently advanced magical culture overcomes the basic needs of their people, why don't they just isolate themselves from the rest of the world, and wear togas as they stroll through their crystal-spire agoras?

If a "Dark Age" ever comes to be, would castles and knights really come into existence? Your enemies might be able to fly, or throw fireballs that can level any stone structures that you build. Will "dragon-riders" replace knights, and make aerial combat the romanticized topic of future cultures? Will cities float as well, or will there be magical forcefields to block out your foes?

Enigma
03-19-2011, 12:11 AM
In my view, magic is everywhere, inside of everyone and everything but as a weak force. The more complex or 'advanced' the life form, the more magic they contain. they can even generate magic. It takes someone with the "gift" to tap in and use this force.

But to do anything more than simple tricks and reliably takes training - and power.

And it's possible to make objects magically 'dead', thus free from magical influence - or draining. Or into a battery.

Ace of Hearts™
03-19-2011, 12:13 AM
So, The Tranquil?

Enigma
03-19-2011, 12:40 AM
So, The Tranquil?

What is The Tranquil?

StormWolf
03-19-2011, 12:41 AM
from dragon age. people with no emotion so they can safely use magic.

what if magic was in the blood, as in part of the blood. This would make marital politics very important for those who want to remain in power by combining powerful bloodlines.

Ace of Hearts™
03-19-2011, 12:43 AM
No, I thought Tranquil can't use magic. I only brought it up because he said they could be purged of magic abilities.

Enigma
03-19-2011, 12:49 AM
no, objects can be purged of magical properties, made magically "dead".

You can't do that to people. But you can bind their powers. it's like putting a tiny black hole on your chest, so cold it burns as it drains your magic as fast as your body can create it. It can drive some people mad.

StormWolf
03-19-2011, 12:53 AM
what about my other point?

what if magic was in the blood, as in part of the blood. This would make marital politics very important for those who want to remain in power by combining powerful bloodlines.

Enigma
03-19-2011, 12:57 AM
Yes, it's possible for people with the gift to transfer it to their children.

StormWolf
03-19-2011, 01:04 AM
do we have enough participants to start building?

Ace of Hearts™
03-19-2011, 01:06 AM
Will we be assigned roles? Like, someone builds government, another races?

StormWolf
03-19-2011, 01:12 AM
can we each just create a country, including the indigenous race, their civilization, government, religion, customs, geography, etc? I already have this complex idea forming in my head...

K
03-19-2011, 01:13 AM
Magic-draining and magic-binding? If we're assuming that magic comes from living things, magic-draining would only apply to imbued objects, right?

As for magic-binding, wouldn't that "black hole" dissipate at some point? Surely, if you can place an eternal lock on someone's spell-casting abilities, I'd imagine it'd be a race for magicians to protect themselves from rivals trying to lock their powers away forever.

Ace of Hearts™
03-19-2011, 01:17 AM
I like Stormwolf idea. We all could say, control the leader of said country.

Enigma
03-19-2011, 01:20 AM
do we have enough participants to start building? I think we're stil a person shy. K posted but didn't say if he was joining us or not.

Will we be assigned roles? Like, someone builds government, another races?Some things will be group decisions, others people will decide for themselves. Everyone creates a nation and submits it for acceptance.

can we each just create a country, including the indigenous race, their civilization, government, religion, customs, geography, etc? I already have this complex idea forming in my head...
Races have yet to be worked out. But everyone get to create a nation.

StormWolf
03-19-2011, 01:21 AM
I think world building usually consists of creating a nation/race/both. Maybe we should set boundaries as to how "fantastic" the races can get, maybe draw the line a dragonkin or Dryads or something so there aren't any plant-people are anything like that.

Enigma
03-19-2011, 01:22 AM
I like Stormwolf idea. We all could say, control the leader of said country.

Control the leader? Hehe. We're crafting the history too! We'll discuss a group time line of major events and everyone decides how that affects their nations.

Enigma
03-19-2011, 01:25 AM
not particularly, because not all countries may have a leader. And generally, Leaders will rarely leave the confines of their respective castles and live a very dull existence :P
Depends on the king. But yeah, mostly it's like volunteering to be under house arrest.

StormWolf
03-19-2011, 01:26 AM
maybe we should decide just how creative we get?

Ace of Hearts™
03-19-2011, 01:28 AM
Well, maybe two character. The leader, when the need arises, and our main.

Enigma
03-19-2011, 01:49 AM
ok!

K
03-19-2011, 02:33 AM
I think world building usually consists of creating a nation/race/both. Maybe we should set boundaries as to how "fantastic" the races can get, maybe draw the line a dragonkin or Dryads or something so there aren't any plant-people are anything like that.

Surely, you must be joking! Just (http://www.revleft.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=205&pictureid=2707). Look (http://www.revleft.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=205&pictureid=2716). At (http://www.revleft.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=205&pictureid=2681). All (http://www.revleft.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=205&pictureid=2684). These (http://www.revleft.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=205&pictureid=2693). Eldritch (http://www.revleft.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=205&pictureid=2697). Abominations (http://www.revleft.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=205&pictureid=2698). You wouldn't want a Cthulhu (http://www.revleft.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=205&pictureid=1348) or two in this fantasy setting?

EDIT: My reasoning behind this is that orcs, demons, and undead are boring "threats to the balance of the world" that have carried way more cliches than eldritch abominations ever have in fantasy settings. If we're ever going to have one of those world-saving conflicts, I'm throwing my chips in for that conflict being fought against mind-screwy creatures who are difficult to just look at.

Enigma
03-19-2011, 03:03 AM
Surely, you must be joking! Just (http://www.revleft.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=205&pictureid=2707). Look (http://www.revleft.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=205&pictureid=2716). At (http://www.revleft.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=205&pictureid=2681). All (http://www.revleft.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=205&pictureid=2684). These (http://www.revleft.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=205&pictureid=2693). Eldritch (http://www.revleft.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=205&pictureid=2697). Abominations (http://www.revleft.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=205&pictureid=2698). You wouldn't want a Cthulhu (http://www.revleft.com/vb/picture.php?albumid=205&pictureid=1348) or two in this fantasy setting?

EDIT: My reasoning behind this is that orcs, demons, and undead are boring "threats to the balance of the world" that have carried way more cliches than eldritch abominations ever have in fantasy settings. If we're ever going to have one of those world-saving conflicts, I'm throwing my chips in for that conflict being fought against mind-screwy creatures who are difficult to just look at.
And just why are the undead and orcs invading human territory? because those guys just freaks them out!

Wander
03-19-2011, 04:16 AM
I'm pretty interested in this, honestly. :D

Plus the fact by next week, school's gonna be over for me, I will have a lot of time on my hands to help by then.

Ace of Hearts™
03-19-2011, 04:21 AM
School's already over for me, I'm homeschoolin'

StormWolf
03-19-2011, 04:55 AM
perhaps there is a greater threat to the whole of the world? some force that is indiscriminate in its destruction.

Ace of Hearts™
03-19-2011, 05:01 AM
Je'rhang.

:| Undying |:
03-19-2011, 11:56 AM
perhaps there is a greater threat to the whole of the world? some force that is indiscriminate in its destruction.

Cassaphid Empire
Stretching from mountainous Epirus in the west, to the fertile delta of the Copticauryyk and exotic Araby in the east, the Cassaphid Empire is furiously expanding it's grip over the known world. Once-mighty Kings and Sheiks are falling to armies so huge they crush mountains beneath their feet, supplied by an imperial treasury so immeasurable it could sate the desires of every living man.

The Cassaphid Sultans reside in the important trading city of Istanbul, a city living in the shadow of the Tanrı Kulesi, or Tower of God, built by a legion of angels to serve as God's military stronghold on Earth. It was the Roman Emperor Constantin who was originally commissioned by Metatron to build the new capital of his empire beside the tower. In present times the Tower serves as God's winter palace bestriding the Bosphorus, and when he resides there the tower shines with an indescribably beautiful light, said to immediately convert disbelievers upon seeing it.

The dynasty maintains it's control over it's expanding empire through a strict hegemony over magic and technology; only the elite clockwork Janissaries are allowed to employ both outside of the Sultan's court. Scientific advancement is completely stalled. Newly conquered territories are targeted for purges of sorcerers, witches, intellectuals and all sources of advanced knowledge. For it's citizens, the holy Quran, as the true word of God, is all that matters.

The Magnan
03-19-2011, 12:45 PM
I wouldn't mind helping I got two fantasy civilisations I'd consider using the Magnans of firetop mountain or the Black Dragon Assassin brotherhood of some cavern place/mountain maybe.

03-19-2011, 12:51 PM
I won't be arguing with fantasy locations not based off of the real world. The Cassaphid Empire inhabits a part of the world that looks a lot like eastern Europe and the Middle-East.

The Magnan
03-19-2011, 01:06 PM
I''ll use this post for my character sheet when Im ready if you don't mind.

An eastern civilisation who's name originated from the term magma has fortified the Firetop Mountains. The Empire stretches to the edge of the mountains with outposts positioned on its borders. The Magnans aren't known for expanding territory, for fears of thinning out and leaving gaping holes in their defences. Although occupying the Badland desert for a time, they soon withdrew due to lack of supplies. Formally led by Black Dragon Emperor Syen Grunth the revolt led to the rise of a king Magnallion and the exile of all those associated with the Black Dragon regime. Considered ruthless the King of Magna aims to eventually expand and has begun training a special army to do so. The Blood Burners. He is well aware of Western Magna growing in strength, and is taking in all considerations to seize the Western Magnan territories.

Military: Blood Burners

Whilst the Eastern Magnan empire is struggling the Western Magnan Empire the Black Dragon and her Legionairies have begun expanding capturing small villages. Holed up in the Dragon fortress their leader Magniek is hoping to capture a larger city to hopefully increase supplies and avoid rationing. He unlike Magnallion has trained Magnan soldiers to master their abilities of fire and combining that with the bound weapons of which they forged in the sands of what was once a wasteland. He is efficient, strict but he is compassionate to his own people. He lacks such a thing for his enemy.

The Black Dragon Military
Possibly one of the most diverse armies in the region, the Magnans allow any Sycane being to become apart of the army, however, the structure of the army means most powerful positions fall into Magnan or the Magnan's most trusted allies the Syrians hands. Such examples include Magniek's Ajutant Grimly (real name Fireden). This has also led to what many consider cruel nicknames being given to none Magnan soldiers.

Military: Exiled Black Dragon Legions
General/King: Magniek
Adjutant: Grimly

The Badlands

The most disputed territory in Sycane simply because of its history. Magniek's personal goal is recover 'Ancient technology.' Scouts in the area have indicated a possible mechanism located beneath the ground. Any entrance point though has been seemingly blocked. The Blood Burners however, aim primarily to kick the Black Dragon out of the region and create more secure trade links with foreign neighbours. This is mainly due to the Western Magnan influence on trade links. In affect Magniek has begun a suffocate Eastern Magna.

Black Dragon Strongholds:
Fort Tel
Fort Silencipor

Eastern Magna
Fort Darkflame
Fort Harwin
Fort Tavre

Villages/cities/Forts outside Badlands
Black Dragon controlled:
Dre'zem
Karai
Hindqiun
Sycansium (cursed/ Lost Caverns)
Ferrarol
Fort Dagnin
Fort Blindsite
Fort Rellock
Fort Syen Grunth

Eastern Magna:
Firann City
Yaguta City
Syria City
Fort Helcon
Fort Taxillion
Fort Blackheart
Yua
Jagged Pass

03-19-2011, 04:01 PM
Cassaphid Empire map, showing major cities.
http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq270/EmberFive/CassasphidEmpiremap.png

The Magnan
03-19-2011, 04:18 PM
I've finished my sheet anything else needed.

Enigma
03-19-2011, 04:59 PM
STOP!

Undying, this isn't Earth - Guildlines (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12860) strictly forbid it! Istanbul? Roman Emperor Constantin? Quran? Love the map, btw.

In the interest of keeping things a little saner, I've got to say that we cannot use a Real World Religion in this fantasy world. They come with too much baggage. This is not to say you cannot use elements from a real world religion, but work it out to something different.

Any "holy books" must be the Reader Digest Condensed version. Quick and easy to skim. Pray to the West three times a day, sure. Don't eat certain foods, fine. Hospitality towards others, great.

Magnan, good work, I like what you've got there. You can have as many characters as you can reasonably handle, but you've got to be able to keep them straight. Bios on the important ones, at least a brief character sketch for the rest.

When we get things worked out, I'll ask that we have a Known World Info forum where you can all post a thread about your kingdom.

Remember though, guidelines says this cannot be a factions world. The nations and empires of this world are to be a backdrop to games being played here.

03-19-2011, 05:00 PM
Marutshim
A semi-mythical, secretive order of assassins residing in their dread fortress of Alamut in north-western Iran, adherents of a splinter form of the Nizari system of Islamic thought. Marut was the third angel to fall from Heaven, after Harut, and the second Djinni to come into being. It's members are selected exclusively from the children of human mothers and Djinni fathers.

The Marutshim offer their services to the Cassaphid Sultans, and in return their sovereignty over the surrounding moutains is respected by military forces.

03-19-2011, 05:02 PM
They're analogues. I would never flat-out replicate a real-world concept.

Enigma
03-19-2011, 05:04 PM
They're analogues. I would never flat-out replicate a real-world concept.

Analogues I can accept. But once we have a world figured out, you'll want to convert.

The Magnan
03-19-2011, 05:08 PM
Oops seems I failed to realise Enigma is the Gm. Apologies and thanks. I'll have five from each side when it comes to the bios. I'll do what I can to describe the Magnan humans. They look human/elvish but like I said I'll do a better description. Again sorry for my little mixup with the Gm thing.

03-19-2011, 05:08 PM
The region depicted by the map looks a lot like the eastern Meditteranean, but, outside of the map's borders any similarity ends. I'm not trying to create a precedent of a world that in it's entirity looks much like the Earth; this is the only part of the world which looks familiar.

Enigma
03-19-2011, 05:13 PM
You're much better at making maps than I am. Could you make us a world map? We can then divide it later.

03-19-2011, 05:14 PM
I was planning on doing that actually.

Enigma
03-19-2011, 05:16 PM
Thanks! I was thinking maybe just a bare outline, some suggestion of geography.

The Magnan
03-19-2011, 05:16 PM
I can't wait to get this underway it'll be like Oblivion.... in away.

03-19-2011, 05:37 PM
Hmm... maybe I shouldn't have put Mecca on that map. That's teetering on the edge between fantasy and reality I think.

The Magnan
03-19-2011, 05:42 PM
I think that may be to real, what you got is good but its Enigma's choice.

03-19-2011, 07:39 PM
In light of possible cultural sensitives I've decided to change a few things.

First off, the city of Mecca is renamed to Sarakkish.

Islam is not explicitly refered to as such. It's fantasy analogue it is refered to as Sarrakish, with it's holy text being the Satik.

StormWolf
03-20-2011, 12:47 AM
I will be posting my two countries/races tomorrow.

Sigma
03-20-2011, 02:29 AM
Oh, don't know why I haven't visited this before. count me in! I'll start thinking up my nation(s).

Enigma
03-20-2011, 07:09 PM
Welcome Sigma! ^ _ ^

StormWolf
03-20-2011, 11:18 PM
Ashaheim is a land of ice and stone, jagged peaks jutting forth from the earth and piercing the heavens. The unforgiving weather and the bitter cold and the savage wildlife has tempered the indigenous people of this region to be large, tough, and fierce. The winters bring forth blizzards and terrible snowfall that can usher in avalanches while the summer brings about frigid rains that can cause floods and mud slides.

The local wildlife is fierce and intelligent and like everything else in Ashaheim, very large. Asaheiman wolves, depending on their geographical location, can range from average size to the size of bears. The bears tower and lumber through the trees and the Elek, a massive, ram-like creature, can feed a whole family. Up in the highest peaks of Ashahiem, Wyverns and Wyrms and other species of Drake make their homes among the jagged glacial peaks in the farthest north regions of Ashahiem.

The indigenous folk, the Ashaheimans, are not a united people, but are split in to thirteen clans, each with their own chief and elder council. The Thirteen are constantly warring over land and resources. The Thirteen make their homes in the ruins of ancient Asahiem, the stone masonry of the Asaheiman ancestors, long dead after a great war. Each Clan was founded by a Paragon, a mighty hero and a mighty leader in Ashahieman ancestry.

The Thirteen Clans:
The Redmaw Clan was sired by the Asahieman Warlord Bran Redmaw, who defended the southern borders of Asahiem from invaders and those intent on colonization,
Engir Krakendoom, the famed marauder that patrolled the savage seas on the coast of Asahiem from sea-faring invaders, and even the fabled Kraken.

Kjal Morkai was one of the most powerful Runic Mages in ancient Ashahiem. He was said to summon souls from beyond the Gates of Morkai and make the spirits of the dead fight beside him in battle. The Morkai Clan, like its paragon, has one of the strongest magical bloodlines in Ashahiem.

Njal Red Moon was a Shaman who gained his fame by conquering the forces of nature and turning them against his foes in the times of war. Though many say it is just legend, Ashahiem hears the scars of Njal's fury. Being the brother of Kjal, Njal's bloodline is very potent in magic, and his teaching have been passed down his Clan from one generation to the next.

Genn Grymnaar was the first of the Clan Elders, for in ancient Ashahiem, he was the king of the unified country before is splintered in to barbarism. His Clan is very proud of their heritage and still believe that they own the right to rule a unified Ashahiem.

Sven Deathwolf was a Ashahiem general and Warlord that earned his surname by wearing the pelt of a black Ashahieman wolf on his back whenever he went in to battle. He was said to have slain the creature with his bare hands. The Deathwolf Clan is very skilled in hunting and tracking, making them very skilled rangers and assassins.

Skarin Dreadwolf was a Warlord who was said to be cursed by the Dread Wolf himself, as his madness for blood and battle overtook the Warlord. The Dreadwolf Clan is infamous for their speedy raids of other Clan's villages.

Sonja Cahalith was the daughter of a nobleman who took up arms with farmers and other peasants in defense of Ashahiem's eastern border while the rest of Ancient Ashahiem was busy fending off invaders from the North. The Cahalith Clan is the only clan (excluding the Lost Clan) that allows women to be warriors of equal standing as men. The Cahalith Chief is always a woman.

Krom Dragongaze was a Warlord whose city was at the foot of the Dragonfang mountains. His daughter was taken by a Dragon, so he ventured after the beast, slaying it and drinking of its blood to gain its power. It was said that afterwards, Krom could incinerate people with a single glance. The Dragongaze Clan is fabled for their dragonhide leathers and arrows made from Wyrms teeth. They have developed wards against powerful fire magics as a defense from Dragons.

Liam Blackmane was the son of Genn Grymnaar, the Prince of Ashahiem. Liam desired honor and glory on the battlefield more than anything, so he quit politics and surrendered the crown by changing his surname and becoming a renegade Warlord. His prowess in tactics and swordplay proved him and his Clan to be formidable warriors.

Olaf Bloodhowl was a berserker who rose to power several generations after the Shattering. His battle-lust caused him to break away from the Blackmane Clan and form a nomadic Clan that wandered land and sea, pillaging for the scarce resources of Ashahiem.
Osric Grimblood was the brother of Olaf who favored a scythe-like axe on the battlefield, reaping his foes like wheat. It was said that his weapon was the weapon from Grim itself that Osric stole in one of his near-death experiences. The Grimblood Clan is very foolhardy, performing ballsy acts of bravado for a chance of victory.

The Lost Clan, once called the Legion of Hlodyn the Conqueror, is never spoken on loudly in Ashahiem. The legend of the Lost Clan is known not only in Ashahiem, but in many places around the world due to the Drow trading the story along with wares. The Lost Clan is worshipped for its sacrifice and suffering, for they live on the northern border of Ashahiem, where the weather is harshest, the wildlife is toughest, and assaulting forces are in constant supply. They are said to be cursed, and that they keep themselves hidden away in the Dragonfang Mountains to keep the curse from spreading. Only when a member of the Lost Clan masters their curse, are they allowed to venture out in the world.

The other Clans send their greatest warriors to the Lost Clan as tribute. It is a great honor that is never celebrated. The Rite to enter the Lost Clan is to drink of the Chief's blood and willingly take on the Curse.
*- more detail in the Legend of the Lost

Religion in Ashahiem:
The Ashahieman people worship a variety of things, including Paragons, gods, and even the honor of the Lost Clan.

The Allfather: seen as the creator of all things, the Lord of the Sky who watches from his throne of light in a city of gold - the city of Valhalla. The Allfather sits in the Court of Valhalla with the Thirteen Paragons, where they pass judgment on those who die in their name.

The Paragons: Seen as demigods by the people of Ashahiem, the Paragons rose in to Valhalla and were given seats of honor in the Valhallan Court so that the Allfather may fairly judge each soul to enter his Hall.

The Dread Wolf: The Dread Wolf is the Spirit Hunter who catches the scent of those ready to die and carries them to the Halls of Judgment in his jaws of moonlight. If the soul is allowed entrance to Valhalla, the Dread Wolf will escort them to the Hall of Heroes. But should the soul not be permitted entrance to Valhalla, the Dread Wolf takes the soul to the Gates of Morkai, where they face one final judgment.

Morkai: Morkai is the two headed Wolf Spirit that judges those who do not gain entrance in to Valhalla. Morkai strips the soul to its core, viewing all of the life that it had lived. If the soul is not corrupt or wicked, it is returned to the earth to be reborn. Those who are wicked are ripped apart and consumed by Morkai, damning the soul to the realm of Darkness.

The Earthmother: The Giver of Life, the Earthmother is the one who brings life in to the world. She controls the seasons and breathes new souls in to the child a mother is birthing.

The World Serpent: The World Serpent is the Earthmother's pet, a great snake that slumbers beneath the surface of the earth. When the World Serpent stirs, it causes the earth to shift with earthquakes and other natural disasters.

Lyan: Lyan is the god of the mountain and the god of steel. He is the one who supposedly gave the Ashahieman people the Secret of Steel as a gift for answering the Riddle of Steel. Lyan is the god all soldiers pray to before a battle, along with their Paragon.

Russvik the Conqueror was the High General of Ashahiem when the country was united. He was the son-in-law to King Grymnaar through his daughter, Freja. Russvik willingly chose to build his castle in the heart of the Dragonfang Mountains on the northern coast of Ashahiem. Russvik believed that Dragongaze was too far inland to be a proper first defense. Russvik took his greatest warriors up with him once Caervalock was complete, and it couldn't have been any sooner.

The Dar'eldahan, or Drau, as the Ashahieman's called them, landed on the northern shore of Ashahiem, hell-bent on conquer and conquest. They had heard of the strength of the Ashahieman people and their steel, so the Dar'eldahan came to take resources and slaves. Before the Dar'eldahan could make it two miles in to the Dragonfang mountains, Russvik and his soldiers were upon them, seeming to come out of the very rock of the mountain to slay and reave the ranks of the Drau. While Russvik and his soldiers numbered only three hundred men and women and the Drau nearly a thousand, the savages did not flee.

Six months passed and the Drau failed to gain any land beyond Caervalock castle. Eventually, the Dar'eldahan General ordered the Witches to perform a forbidden rite of magic to cast a terrible curse on those who lived in the castle. The curse was terrible and cruel, killing half of Russvik's men slowly and painfully. The rest, the strong ones who were able to resist death, suffered violent seizures and headaches as their bodies changed to adapt to the curse afflicted upon it. The grew larger and stronger, with teeth like and eyes of a beast and the senses to match. When the Eye of the Dread Wolf (the moon) was full in the sky, the surviving soldiers of Russvik's Legion stalked and hunted the Dar'eldahan, becoming the stuff of their very nightmares.

Two months later, Russvik and his men assaulted the Drau in the day, 150 men and women pushing back half a thousand to the shores, only so the Drau could find all but one of their ships burned. Russvik and his men slaughtered the Drau on the shores, turning the icy tides red, leaving only a handful left alive to sail home and deliver a warning: the mangled and ravaged corpses of their allies.

When the King sent relief and help to Russvik, the General turned them away, saying that they were cursed by the Dread Wolf and Morkai themselves, and that they did not want to spread such a curse among their people. So they stayed in the ruins of Caervalock Castle, through the Age of Shattering, fighting and dying to defend Ashahiem from any horror that attempted to pass through the mountains.

Culture:
Ashahiem is a barbaric nation populated by barbaric people. They have no government, only rules of engagement the the rules they are decreed to live by according to their faith. Each Clan has its own set of rules and practices depending on who the Paragon was. There is no currency, so things are traded based on usable worth. Every full moon, every Clan will set out totems and offerings to honor the Lost Clan.

Ashahiemans are very honest people and will always call things how they see them. They are proud and stubborn as mules. Their form of a debate is armed combat, and the one who gets their law passed is the one still breathing.

The Clans are constantly warring over land and the resources of Ashahiem, as well as venturing forth in to neighboring countries to raid their border settlements for supplies. This has earned Ashahiemans an ill reputation around the world as rapists, murderers, and marauders. No fighting is to take place on a full moon unless justly provoked.

Music and dancing is a very popular past-time in the Clans when they are not fighting. Their strange instruments (http://www.celticattic.com/treasures/images/musical_instruments/rosewood_bagpipes.jpg) create wondrous drones and tones that some have come to fear for the fury the right song instills in the Ashahieman warriors. Each Ashahiem Pipe is different depending on the Clan, and so each Clan has a different call.

National Strengths:
Some of the strongest steel in the world
Rare animals with valuable qualities
Harsh climate makes the locals very hardy and durable
Harsh climate and dangerous terrain makes invading difficult
Renown of the Lost Clan Legend in most countries
Some of the strongest whiskey around

Racial Qualities:
average height of 6-7 feet
bulky, muscular builds for men. Lean muscular builds for women
average hair colors: black, brown, blonde, and red
- Lost Clan folk tend to have streaks of grey in their hair, no matter their age.
average eye colors: icy blue, emerald green, hazel brown, steel grey
- Lost Clan folk have golden colored eyes.
stronger and faster than average men
- Lost Clan folk have enhanced senses as well.

Dar'Karond in the home of the Dar'eldahan, or the Drau (pronounced Drow). They used to be of a race called high elves, but their tampering with dark magic has caused their bodies to change, turning their skin dark, their hair fair, and their eyes red as rubies.

Dar'Karond is a dark and jagged island-continent in the northern seas populated mostly by reptilian creatures. The dark soil is a byproduct of volcanic activity and is very fertile, allowing it to be a very valuable trade resource for the Dar'eldahan. Their gem mines are also very valuable, as the rare stones can easily be infused with magical energy for storage.

The Leader of the Dar'Eldahan is Emperor Kaine Aeveraith, an ancient and ruthless dictator who is determined to expand the Dar'eldahan beyond the confines of Dar'Karond and in to the mainland. He has complete control over his people, or at least most of them. Kaine has a series of rules in place to keep him in power for as long as possible, and he is pushing a thousand years on the throne.

Religion:
Kaine is worshipped as a god in the flesh. He is immortal and wise beyond compare. His strength in magic is fabled and his cruelty is well known and well practiced. Those who displease him are said to be cursed if they are not killed.

Culture:
There was a prophesy told by a Dar'eldahan priest that Kaine would be killed and his throne would be usurped by a powerful wizard of the Dar'eldahan people. Kaine was so reluctant to even entertaining the idea, he had a law put in to place that demanded every Dar'eldahan boy that would use magic was executed and his magical energy be stored in crystals for weaponization. Furthermore, every girl that is able to use magic must marry the Emperor once she comes of age and join his harem. Refusal will result in execution and draining of energy.
With Kaine being the center of all power in the country, the population follows him blindly out of fear. They know he is powerful beyond their comprehension, and they do not wish to invoke his wrath.

With that in mind, promiscuity and sexuality is a common and encouraged practice among the Dar'eldahan. They are graceful and beautiful creatures, and they know it. Fetishes are not uncommon and drug usage is also commonplace in a den of passion.

National Strengths:
high magic
precious gems
fertile soil
Fis'zek (a highly addictive narcotic grown only in Dar'Karond)
Isolated island
Rich Trade Empire

Racial Qualities:
average height: 6 feet
common skin colors: black (as in black-grey), ash grey, dark purple or a blue-purple.
common eye colors: red, yellow, purple
Common hair colors: white/silver, purple, black, cobalt

StormWolf
03-21-2011, 07:52 AM
i finished and double posting is bad!

The Magnan
03-21-2011, 04:47 PM
I added a little more information concerning territories with in Sycane, I nearly considered adding other civilisations like Syria (In no way related to real Syria) or Baltirek.

Ace of Hearts™
03-21-2011, 08:38 PM
Okay, I have an idea in my brain womb, but I need awhile for it to mature.

Enigma
03-22-2011, 05:41 AM
Stormwolf, I love the idea of the thirteen tribes, it's a great job. But Crom needs a new name.

The Dar'Karond seem very familiar....

StormWolf
03-22-2011, 06:19 AM
changed Crom's name

K
03-22-2011, 08:38 AM
Zaroyath, the Fruitful Land

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/8797/cities.png

There is a land covered in a sea of burning sand, where the heavens are red as blood, and life as we know cannot exist without the aid of arcane forces. This land is called Zaroyath, which translates in the local tongue as "fruitful place".

Viewed from above, Zaroyath is a circular, nigh-featureless expanse of desert about 500 miles wide, with hundreds of dome-like structures dotting the surface. The entire region itself is surrounded by a savanna that gradually transitions into natural biomes, making it logical to assume that the desert is sustained by an unnatural force.

During a prehistoric ice age, tribes of hunter-gatherers living near the outskirts of Zaroyath watched as climate changes killed off their food supply. The discovery of high numbers of large creatures' carcasses littered within a seemingly-lifeless desert drew the most desperate of these tribes into the wasteland, and the survivors ultimately discovered a vast number of oases within this desert.

These oases sustained large amounts of game, encouraging the migrants to colonize and adapt to the land. The sands around the oases were stained blue, which was just a peculiarity at first. After evaporation, the waters would leave behind blue, salt-like substances, which soon became known for their magic-granting abilities.

Soon enough, the Zaroyaci Civilization was born...In a matter of generations, the power of the magical salts had become well-known by all Zaroyaci, who used it to perform feats of unparalleled wonder. Through sheer willpower, cities were formed from the sands, wars of terrible destruction were waged, and all of man's ailments were cured.

To protect themselves from the harsh elements, the beasts that lurked the wastes, and other tribes, the Zaroyaci constructed massive, domed cities. The oases were ferociously protected, and skirmishes became constant between the competing city-states. This drove the people into a magical arms race, which ended with disastrous results.

The salts were constantly being extracted from oases, and refined into fine dust that was ingested by magicians to maximize their powers. Each city-state was sustained by "Kiyano Dust" and their wielders, the "Azuri", with each dome being an earthly paradise unto itself. However, the Zaroyaci did not contemplate that their precious dust would one day run out.

Some domes lost their arcane fuel before others, and their neighbors soon discovered that the same fate soon awaited them as well. This drove some of the Zaroyaci cities to desperately fight wars for control of the oases, while some cities retreated into outright isolation. In the end, the "Isolationists" only bought themselves a little time.

A few generations rolled by, but even perseverant cities could not ignore the coming end. Time was against the Zaroyaci, and it seemed as if nothing could save them. Archeological discoveries, however, revealed the remains of past cultures. Each of these previous cultures had gone through a similar historical pattern as the Zaroyaci were going through.

This knowledge changed everything...These "Old Ones" had known of a great reservoir underneath Zaroyath, the ultimate source to all oases. This revelation prompted some city-states to dig down to it and exploit its bountiful reserves of arcane power. Without warning, these city-states were mysteriously obliterated, leaving massive sinkholes where their domed cities once stood.

More cautious city-states chose to subtly dig to the reservoir, which spared them from annihilation. This led to the theory that something protected the reservoir. By the time they reached the reservoir, these city-states were forced to consider two, difficult options: death by the reservoir's unseen guardian, or death by arcane "starvation"?

In response, clever magicians came forth with a radical solution: place the Zaroyaci into a great slumber. If multiple cultures had come and gone, each which tapped the oases dry, then the oases were being replenished. Compared to the reservoir, the oases were only a fraction of its total mystical energy. This meant that the reservoir's unknown guardian would not "notice" them if they used a "minimal" amount of Kiyano Dust.

And so, the Zaroyaci slumbered...Centuries have passed, and the reservoirs have started to become replenished again. On the surface, the ruins of the Zaroyaci civilization remain, half-preserved, half-buried by the brutal desert. Deep below the surface, giant structures filled with countless, slumbering Zaroyaci remain.

There are those who do not slumber, but stay awake to tend to their kin. Some of them enter the great slumber after a few years of wakefulness, and are replaced by another Zaroyaci who will do the same. Others do not sleep, but remain awake for centuries on end, kept alive by their very magical powers. While the term "Watcher" refers to both types, it is more often applied to those who have been awake for at least a half a century, and have had their skin tinged by over-exposure to Kiyano Dust.

The "Watchers" have only just begun to realize that new waves of migrating peoples are entering Zaroyath, and these newcomers are learning the arcane potency of the oases. The slumbering Zaroyaci, however, will not allow these people to use up the Kiyano Dust they have waited so long to be replenished. Skirmishes on the surface are beginning to occur, which only attracts more migrants who are curious about the "Fruitful Land".

Trouble is brewing in Zaroyath...
http://img846.imageshack.us/img846/5691/interiorg.png
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/9514/magicianw.png

The Magnan
03-22-2011, 05:19 PM
With the large information of other civilisations, would you want me to expand on mine, or will we be doing that in a different thread.

K
03-22-2011, 08:07 PM
Maybe it's time to make a sub-forum for this.

03-22-2011, 09:16 PM
TIME TIME

K
03-22-2011, 10:01 PM
Here are some of Zaroyath's native creatures.

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/899/deathworm.png

These predatory, solitary organisms are known for their ability to travel at high speeds beneath the sands, and sneak up on unsuspecting prey with little to no warning. They detect other creatures via magic-sensitive organs, and these sensory organs also tell the Death Worms specific details about the target in question. Their greatest flaw, however, is their inability to burrow through solid, dense materials.

Death Worms died out during the rise of the Zaroyaci, due to their collision with artificial structures beneath the sands, systematic extermination, and the extinction of their natural prey. With the return of Kiyano Dust, and subsequent Kiyano Dust-based ecosystem, the Death Worms have returned.
http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/7382/desertwasp.png

Death Wasps are highly aggressive, short-lived creatures that thrive off the return of the Kiyano Dust, mainly due to their terrifying means of reproduction. These insects inject other creatures or corpses with a cocktail of paralyzing, Kiyano Dust-laced chemicals, which also slowly liquefy the prey's internal organs. Once the target is neutralized, the Death Wasps lay their eggs within them, and then depart.

Larvae hatch in a matter of days of being planted, completely consume their host, eat any runts within the batch, and then mature into full-fledged Death Wasps in less than a week. This strategy has made the insect species incredibly successful, to the point of forcing the "natural" ecosystems of Zaroyath into cycles of rapid death and growth. With the arrival of new peoples to the region, the Death Wasps may slowly decline as they did during the rise of the Zaroyaci.
http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/1714/shrieker.png

Dune Stalkers are blind, pack-like creatures that sense their surroundings through the generation of a mystical energy field. They are incredibly agile, and were domesticated by the early Zaroyaci like cows and goats, due to their ability to produce magic-rich, milk-like fluids for their young. After the fall of the Zaroyaci, Dune Stalkers became feral once more, and have easily adapted to the new environment.

Like camels, these creatures can go for days without sustenance, and make excellent pack animals and mounts for riding. Unlike camels, their entire sustenance is reliant on drinking the mystical waters of the oases, which caused them to die out during the golden age of the Zaroyaci. They have returned, along with other native wildlife, and prove to be the most elusive of Zaroyath's non-predatory creatures.More where this came from soon.

Enigma
03-23-2011, 05:00 AM
Zaroyath, the Fruitful Land
K, once more you have proven your ability to deliver

With the large information of other civilisations, would you want me to expand on mine, or will we be doing that in a different thread.We'll be doing that in a different thread!

Maybe it's time to make a sub-forum for this.
TIME TIME

Nazgul pm'd me to ask how many interested we've got. I've counted - we've got nine, so I'm going ahead and applying tonight.

Enigma
03-23-2011, 05:32 AM
Ok, I've send in the application! Hopefully we will hear back soon.

The guidelines says we can have two information threads - I've asked that the first one be called "Legendary World Guide" and this is the thread you'll post information about your nations, the people, religions, customs, history, etc.

I may come in and compile your information into general threads about magic, religion, and so forth.

If they let us have the second thread, I've asked that it be called "Legendary Companion" and here is where you'll post miscellaneous information and your character sheets. Please keep all your minor characters (NPCs) in one thread!

Most of all, let's have some fun! ^ _ ^

John
03-23-2011, 07:07 AM
Your section is open. Have fun everybody.

Xanthuss
03-23-2011, 07:32 AM
Is this project still open for members? :)

If so I'd love to join.

Is it allowed to create species to go with your world?

Enigma
03-23-2011, 02:28 PM
Your section is open. Have fun everybody.

Thank you Nazgul! ^ _ ^

Is this project still open for members? :)

If so I'd love to join.

Is it allowed to create species to go with your world?

This project will be open as long as we can find space for you someplace on the map! Just submit your proposal to the OOC Discussion forum.

^ _ ^

I'll talk to you about species!

K
03-23-2011, 06:19 PM
I'm giving others the right to freely use and/or edit the "Zaroyath, the Fruitful Land" concept. Too lazy to work out the idea in more detail at the moment, and interested in seeing how others will integrate it into their micro-settings and histories.

Enigma
03-24-2011, 01:54 AM
I'm giving others the right to freely use and/or edit the "Zaroyath, the Fruitful Land" concept. Too lazy to work out the idea in more detail at the moment, and interested in seeing how others will integrate it into their micro-settings and histories.

Thank you Kale. If you could, I'd like you to copy your submission and paste it in the Legendary World Guide (http://role-player.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=300).

K
03-24-2011, 04:49 AM
Done. I've also added two more creatures to the new thread. Anyone who wants to take a crack at the whole Zaroyath setting is more than welcome to get involved!