PDA

View Full Version : For Lola

Anne Bonny
12-09-2009, 05:17 AM
I just don't understand.

We were a happy group once, a flock I thought. A family. You chose me, you took me home. I sang for you and you kissed me. We were happy. I gave you everything, all my love, my heart, my life. I would have given you the sun itself if I knew how. But I must not have done enough.

You moved away, slowly, quietly. I sat in my cage, waiting for you to come say "Hello!" like you used to, so I can say it back. I watched you walk by, in a hurry, always in a hurry. Our eyes never meet anymore. Did I do something wrong for you to put me in this corner? For you to cast me out of your flock? I cannot live alone. I cannot bear it. I love you. I miss you.

I try everything to get you to remember me. When I cry out for you, I get a response. Even if you yell at me, I know you remember me. I'm sorry if I make you angry, but it's the only way you talk to me anymore. I tried singing to you like I used to. I tried saying hello as you hurry by. You do not notice those things anymore. So I scream in my misery. I don't know what else to do.

I remember the first feather I pulled out. It disgusted me to hold it's shaft in my beak, and my leg stung for some time after. I was ashamed. But I felt something besides sadness, loneliness, and boredom. I did it again. And again. I cannot stop, though my legs are cold and I am ugly. I see it in your eyes when you feed me; you think I am ugly too. I was once beautiful, with long green and grey and blue feathers that shimmered in the sunlight. I used to take care of myself. But you do not seem to love me anymore. Why should I take care of myself then? Does it matter if I am ugly and cold? I don't know.

I wish for us to be a family again, but maybe I've forgotten how. Once, so long ago, you reached for me and I bit your hand. I was startled and excited that you wanted me, and in my surprise I hurt you. I am so sorry. I love you, and I never mean to hurt you. But I don't understand you anymore.

If I am a burden, I am sad for it. But didn't you take me in to your home? Didn't you promise to love me forever? I thought you had. I must have misunderstood. I am just a simple bird, and you are a complex, busy person. I am sad, and sometimes angry. But I will never stop loving you.

Anne Bonny
12-09-2009, 05:20 AM
I wrote this for one of the birds the [url=http://chloesanctuary.org/default.aspx]Chloe Sanctuary rescued yesterday. Her family had given her up and turned her over to animal control to be put down because they didn't want her anymore. She still has a beautiful spirit, and has many more years of love to give thanks to our wonderful volunteers.

Lola has had it rough, but she will have a happy ending. She will have a loving home soon.

Mysteria
12-09-2009, 04:10 PM
You really wrote this well hon and give everyone the introspection of what it must have been like for her to endure not being wanted anymore. In some ways, they are like humans too. They feel, they hurt.

Hugsss you times two!!

Falcon Red
12-29-2009, 09:06 AM
It's so sad... I would love to care for Lola, but it sees she's taken a liking to you, and now she will have any years of love and devotion given to her ;) I am very jealous of you...