PDA

View Full Version : Speechless: One RP, zero dialogue.

Govannon
12-13-2009, 08:53 AM
You wake up, somewhere, you aren't really sure where. It's dark, dank and generally unpleasant, and as your eyes adjust to the dim light you begin to see more of your new surroundings. The walls are brick and concrete, arched at the top like an old subway station, and the roof drips with some unknown liquid. The entire place smells of age and decay, and yet somehow, it feels normal. Then, out of the corner of your eye, you catch a flicker of movement in the shadows.

To your relief, it is another human, another prisoner. Someone you know from, somewhere, you can't say where. You open your mouth to call out to them, but find yourself unable to speak. No matter how hard you strain, how hard you concentrate, you simply cannot summon up any sound. You have been rendered

Speechless

(pardon the lame pun.)

I always like to try starting RPs that are, different, from any others I've seen before, and one of the things I find constantly complicates RPs is dialogue. Conversations are impossible to write easily when you only get one sentence at a time, and things inevitably degenerate into lengthy monologues. I wanted to see whether this would be better or with without any actual words. Here, the characters are silenced. They could have no vocal chords, they could have no mouth, a wizard could have done it, it doesn't matter, they cannot speak. The objective is simple, find out who did this, get it undone and get the hell out of the dungeon. It will have some action in it, and may begin to incorporate some elements of the supernatural, just as a heads up.

RULES:
NO SPEAKING! If I see one " you're out.
NO GODMODDING! I get tired of this. So very tired.
Don't argue with me. My word is law.
Standard RPA 'don't be a jerk' rules

To verify that you have read these rules put the monocle smiley (O_Q) in your character sheet.

Character Sheets:
Name:
Appearance: (Pic or description)
Personality:
Bio:
Fears:

That's it!

I want to keep this a fairly small rp (~4 players) because once it gets much bigger than that everything just gets much more confusing.

ACCEPTED PLAYERS:

Gerard Robyn (http://role-player.net/forum/showpost.php?p=77823&postcount=5)
Rina Lovecraft (http://role-player.net/forum/showpost.php?p=76447&postcount=2)
Kylie Small (http://role-player.net/forum/showpost.php?p=77852&postcount=7)
Susan “Susie” Madison (http://role-player.net/forum/showpost.php?p=81585&postcount=14)

Gsarge
12-13-2009, 09:33 AM
Name:Rina Lovecraft
Appearance: http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss164/luizachan/Anjo0420.jpg
Personality: Rina's a nice enough girl but her need to express herself has made her a bit "touchy" during this current time of silence. Other than that she's pretty calm and collected about most things.
Bio: Rina's descended from a line of adventurers, though she's the first woman in her family to take up the mantle herself, she figured she owed it to her father that had taken the time to teach her all the skills he had learned during his time as an adventurer.
Fears: Large amounts of blood or enough blood to make cover the palm of a hand on her body (note will make her freak and if she is able to scream will make her do so), monstrous spiders
-monocle-

Govannon
12-13-2009, 09:49 AM
Alright, looks good, just one thing though. This is a modern day RP, sorry if I didn't communicate that well enough. You can still keep the character, just though you might like to know seeing as adventurer seems more old timey. One way or another it's up to you, the character is accepted.

Gsarge
12-13-2009, 09:53 AM
She could be adventurer in the Indiana Jones or Lara Croft sense though think more Jones though she's more about disarming traps, but picked up swordplay as a hobby from her father.

Govannon
12-14-2009, 09:28 AM
Name: Gerard Robyn
Appearance: http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k72/SAD_HINATA/Anime%20Girls%20and%20Guys/Guys/seme.jpg
Personality: Outgoing and creative, Gerard loathes repetition and conformism. He prides himself on purposely being unlike anyone else he knows in as many ways as he can manage. He is willing to try anything once, no matter how strange it might seem, for no reason other than to claim that he tried it. For Gerard, life is all about doing new things, getting new stories and living life to it's fullest, regardless of what other people think.

Bio: Gerard is, and has always been, something of a free spirit. He has drifted through more majors, careers, and lifestyles that it would be easier to name the things that he has not done in his past. Either through luck, sweet talking or outright fraud he has manged to worm himself into whatever positions caught his fancy at the time, only to drop out when he was tired of them. While entertaining, this transient lifestyle has left Gerard with very little in the way of a personal life. His friends are just as temporary as his career, his family don't even know what country he's in, a permanent girlfriend is something that hasn't even crossed his mind and the closest thing he has to a constant in his life is the suitcase he carries on his travels. Gerard is truly a man in the wind, never pinned down to anything long enough for it to make an impact on him, for good or for ill.

Fears: To become so broken he is no longer able to function on his own, to be forced to live a life of dependency and repetition. On a slightly more concrete level, he hates insects of all types.

Also: Gsarge, just so you know, your character doesn't have any swords or daggers upon waking. No need to make things too easy :).

Gsarge
12-14-2009, 09:42 AM
Is this a Saw movie? I guess it must be cuz a bondage dungeon would be way out the question. I am starting to worry a bit. Am I really the only person to have shown any interest in a day? I guess that means Rina's only going to be good at being the tomboy of a somewhat wealthy man. How delightful and all the misunderstanding to be had.

Lacey
12-14-2009, 02:48 PM
Name: Kylie Small

Appearance:
http://mad.dream.cowblog.fr/images/2/4521881.jpg

Personality: Crazy. She loves to be herself; and to the rest of the world, it seems insane. She’s loud, stubborn, and someone who is half-convinced butterflies are fairies in disguise. Kylie doesn’t give a rip about what others think; she dresses however she wants to and anyone who tells her she can do anything different than who she is will face her wrath. Kylie’s also a natural leader, not afraid to tell someone what they’ve done wrong if they’ve asked. It hurts her more when someone else is hurting than when she hurts. She won’t let anyone or anything stop her from stopping her dreams from coming true. She doesn’t trust easily; she’s been hurt too much for that.

Bio:

Kylie was the middle child but always felt more like the oldest because her brother was too sick to act upon his big-brother instincts. She treasures her little brother (though they fight, as siblings tend to) and all those who manage to get through the high and thick walls she’s put up around her wild emotions. She was diagnosed with ADHD but refuses to take meds to subdue the hyperactivity because it’s a part of her as much as anything else is. This has made her an outcast because it is nearly impossible for her to stay still for too long.

Fears: Silence. She can’t stand the empty feeling, it swallows her and she has to scream. Has to make noise and punch something to fill the emptiness. If she’s in the silence too long, she becomes a sobbing, shaking mess that no one can recognize. Like a cornered wild animal.

Govannon
12-14-2009, 05:02 PM
Looks good Lacey: Accepted

Gsarge: Nah, it's not Saw. There won't be any exploding collars or marionettes. As for the amount of people expressing interest, two people in a day is actually pretty good for this forum. I like it here, but things seem to move pretty slow...

Ah well, now all we need to do is wait for one or two more and then we can get this thing started.

Govannon
12-17-2009, 07:11 AM
Alright, sorry for the double post. I'm looking for one more person, if they don't show up by tomorrow I'll start the IC with just the three of us.

rabbit
12-17-2009, 07:44 PM
:D ... >.> -Ponder, fiddle.- Uh... I may join this. Just let me get home. And... Think... Cause... This seems hella fun. :3

Govannon
12-17-2009, 07:50 PM
I basically spent all last night changing mind mind between the two ideas about where I wanted this rp to go, so yeah, I've decided now, and it will definitely be interesting.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

rabbit
12-18-2009, 01:34 AM
Are only Anime pictures accepted?

Govannon
12-18-2009, 01:51 AM
Nah, go with whatever works for you. I'm not picky.

rabbit
12-18-2009, 03:11 AM
Susan “Susie” Madison
http://i50.tinypic.com/rk7b5i.jpg
Appearance: Porcelain skin dotted with freckles and wide, chocolate brown eyes, her face framed by curly-wavy-confusing hair that she never really bothers to do anything with but that Susie likes nonetheless. Her body is slender with little muscle and close to no fat. She tends to wear cool colors, blacks, blues, purples, grays, greens and whites, and lots of jeans and sneakers.
Personality: (I’d prefer to let this develop in the story, if that’s ok)
Bio: Her father died when she was seven and ever since she knew he wasn’t coming home, she’s felt like she was on her own. Her mother was always busy with work and despite the pets that she was given to “fill the void,” it didn’t compensate for not having a father around, not being close to her mother. Susie was sent to a private school, had very few friends, no boyfriends (though she was often gawked at, since she blossomed in tenth grade) but made good grades, with no plan for after graduation, for her future. The day after graduation, she left. Ran. And then, a few weeks later, she found herself Speachless.
Fears: Contreltophobia (the fear of sexual abuse), taphephobia (the fear of being buried alive), and lygophobia (the fear of being in dark places)

Govannon
12-18-2009, 05:36 AM
Man, those last two fears are not going to be any fun...

Accepted.

I'll edit the first post and get started on the IC ASAP

Maikuolan
12-18-2009, 03:14 PM
..Still accepting, or has this one closed? :)

Govannon
12-18-2009, 06:51 PM
Nah, I think I'm closing it, sorry. I guess I forgot to edit the title.

It's my first rp that I'm gming, so I want to keep it small.

Also, to the more experienced members here: how do you change the title?

rabbit
12-19-2009, 01:33 AM
You can't, actually, I don't think. I'll try to for you. XD

And why aren't the last two fears going to be fun?

Govannon
12-19-2009, 02:15 AM
Well, the characters wake up in a dark-ish room which seems to be underground... dark and buried, kinda,

rabbit
12-19-2009, 04:23 AM
Lol, point taken xD

rabbit
12-19-2009, 04:28 AM
Sorry for the double post, but I changed the title for you. ^_^

Mysteria
12-19-2009, 04:57 AM
As an FYI if you try editing and go into advanced settings you should be able to edit your title

Govannon
12-19-2009, 05:17 AM
Great, thanks. Both to Lady for the title change and Mysteria for the advice.

rabbit
12-19-2009, 05:39 AM
OH YEAH! That's right. My browser automatically goes to the advanced setting. Ha. I need to remember that.

rabbit
12-19-2009, 10:19 PM
-Points at IC, then there.- That's what this is for. XD

Anywho, I think as far as writing on walls and things go, we could do a different format, like aligning it to the center and putting it in bold, or to the right and itallics. :]

Govannon
12-28-2009, 08:45 AM
Alright, sorry that I haven't quite as active recently. Holidays and all... I'm back now anyways.

Bravado
01-03-2010, 03:50 AM
This is a very, very cool idea. Might I begin a character sheet? Oh, but I'll give you this for now: (O_Q)

Govannon
01-03-2010, 06:06 AM
Yeah, absolutely.

And to everyone else in the RP, get active, please... I'll be able to get the plot actually moving once we get out of the room. I promise.

rabbit
01-13-2010, 04:46 AM
I dun wanna post again so soooon~ D:

Govannon
01-13-2010, 07:26 AM
Yeah, I know... I'm just hoping that somebody else will come back. People seem to have forgotten about this one...

Gsarge
01-13-2010, 11:39 PM
sorry i've been waiting around for lacey.

Lacey
01-14-2010, 09:08 PM
I'm soooooo sorry. I've been getting ready to graduate in a few months and everything's been so hectic. I'm home to eat and sleep and do homework. When I'm on, I type some stuff out on word and save it...but the computer i was using kind of...died...

I'll post ASAP.

Govannon
01-14-2010, 09:33 PM
No problem. I'm just glad to see that everybody is still around.

rabbit
01-16-2010, 05:03 AM
Hey guys, this looks like an awesome roleplay! If you would like to see your roleplay advertised as Roleplay of the Week, please don't think twice about contacting myself or any of the staff. It’s a great way to get noticed and even better if you are in need of more players! Keep up the great work!

Required information for Roleplay of the Week submissions can be found here (http://74.220.215.108/%7Erolepla3/forum/showthread.php?t=905).