PDA

View Full Version : The Gaestaria

Xanthuss
06-15-2011, 05:58 AM
Gaestaria

The Gaestaria are a humanoid species of underground living omnivores. There average height is 6’5”ft, and have skin that is an off-white blue/aquamarine tinted colour (http://i51.tinypic.com/11b2arp.png). There hair is normally long and braided, in the females, and short and cropped in the males, and comes in shades ranging from off-white (http://i56.tinypic.com/eb9f2c.png) to off-brown (http://i51.tinypic.com/25a3vqr.png), off-green (http://i52.tinypic.com/160csh3.png)and straw yellow (http://i54.tinypic.com/r8xdzs.png).

The males are normally muscular, and tall, with long legs, giving them speed, and muscular arms that can lift up a large human easily. They are clad in thick skin, with fine scales covering there most delicate parts, including throat, stomach, temples (including ears), and the soles of their feet. There eyes are slightly reptilian in shape, and they can see almost perfectly in the dark with them, but they are sensitive to bright lights. Their ears are pointed and scale covered. The face of a Gaestaria male is strong boned and ‘chiselled’.

The females are also muscular, but more lithe. They are even faster than the males, but they lack some of the strength, though they are still several times stronger than a human. They are also clad in thick skin, though slightly more delicate than a males skin, and the scales cover more areas, including the normal areas, they cover their breasts and thighs, and a small sprinkling cover the skin around their eyes. Their ears are even more elfin, pointing upward and curving. The female’s eyes are more feline than reptilian, but once again, they are sensitive to bright light, and can see in the dark perfectly. Their faces are delicate, with sharp features and a well-defined bone structure.
Seeing an ‘ugly’ or miss formed Gaestaria is rare.

Society & Culture:

Gaestaria society is complex and has changed drastically over the ages, but the one thing that has stayed the same about it is that the center of their society is the Great Library. A replica of the original Great Library is built on every planet the Gaestaria colonise. People on Gaea read a lot, but also the Great Library is the only place where people from every class can mingle freely. It is not surprising to see a Lord-Mayor or his wife talking with a beggar in the Great Library, for ranks mean nothing in this place. The one known as the Old Wise One is the head librarian and a swarm of apprentices help him run the library. To be chosen to be the next Old Wise One is the highest honour a librarian could wish for. The Old Wise One is also the ruler of the entire race. He can override any ruling of the Senate or Chancellor, though he is chosen because of his ‘neutrality’ and an Old Wise One has only interfered twice.

The government of Gaestaria is otherwise democratic, and works like this: A council of the regional leaders (Planetary Governors, ), plus the Vice Chancellor, Treasurer, Head Of Defence and Chancellor, is the main body of parliament, all but the Chancellor vote on bills, and the Chancellor only votes when a tie is reached. Planetary Governors have total power in planetary law, except for when the Chancellor himself intervenes or the Planetary Governor hands the matter to the Senate’s Court. The social customs of Gaea, and Balisk, are somewhat strange in ways. Rank plays a huge part in the culture and society. Money makes no difference if you don’t have a title in the Gaestaria culture.

List of Ranks:
Old Wise One – Old Wise One
Highest Rank – Head of the Great Library, chosen as the wisest man in the land
Must be greeted as Sir or My Lady, and only best friends, family and mates may call them by their first names, All people must bow to the Old Wise One when greeting him.

Princess/Prince/King/Queen - King First Name, Queen First Name, Princess First Name, Prince First Name
Second Highest Rank – Member of the royal family
Must be called Your Highness or Your Grace by anyone other than other Royalty, Only best friends, family and mates may call them by their first names, and everyone must bow when greeting them.

Chancellor, Governor Or Vice Chancellor – Chancellor/Vice Chancellor First Name Last Name, Governor First Name Last Name
Third Highest Rank – Same as president/and vice president.
Must be greeted as Mil’Lord or Mil’lady (Depending on gender of Chancellor/Vice Chancellor/Governor). Only best friends, family and mates may call them by their first names, and those of ‘medium rank’ or lower must bow when greeting them.

Sir/Lord/Count/Earl/Baron/Duke (Or any of the female versions) – Lord First Name Last Name
High Rank – Holder of a noble families title
Must be greeted as My Lord or My Lady (Depending on gender), and Only best friends, family and mates may call them by their first names and those of ‘medium rank’ or lower must bow to them then greeting.

Lord-Mayor Or Mayor – Lord Mayor First Name Last Name, Mayor First Name Last Name
High Rank – Mayor of a city, person holds this title their entire life once they get it
Must be greeted as Your Honour, only best friends, family and mates may call them by their first names, and those of ‘medium rank’ or lower must bow when greeting them

Senator – Senator First Name Last Name
High Rank – A Member of parliament.
Must be greeted as Your Grace, only best friends, family and mates may call them by their first names, and those of ‘medium rank’ or lower must bow when greeting them

Planets of the Gaeastarian Interstellar Republic

Gaea
Gaea is the moon of a half-dead terrestrial planet. The dieing terrestrial world is known as Estonas, although it is doubtful wether that is its original name. The Gaestaria home world, Gaea, is a moon about two times the size of Luna, which has a thin atmosphere, and an ice cold surface. The planet is frozen and unhospitable, so most Gaestaria live in space-stations, orbiting the planet, or underground cities, Mostly the later. The only native life is a few deadly predators that stalk the ice wastes, and some flightless burrowing bird species, some of these also carnivores. There are also a few burrowing ‘mammal’ beings, which are now domesticated and kept for food or pets. On one side of the planet, the opposite side to Datapossible, a huge crater breaks the surface, where an asteroid plummeted in to the ground and destroyed Possible, the original capital of the planet.

The capital, Datapossible, is a huge underground city, which houses 9 billion Gaestaria, which is 90% of the population of Gaea (the total population being 10 billion). Datapossible spreads over half the overground of the planet, and even spreads upwards in places, breaking the surface in the form of space ports, storage areas and factory’s, all heavily protected from the weather. All of the cities that Gaestaria rule are lighted only by dull blue or red lights, which do not harm their sensitive eyes.

Balisk:
A large terrestrial world, Balisk is similar to Gaea in habitat, an ice world upon which everyone lives underground. It orbits a star only 2 light years from Gaea, and it has no moons or orbiting bodies. Its capital is Hasterton, a city of 6 ½ billion people. It is once again underground, and spreads upwards only once, breaking out on the surface in the form of Balisk’s only space port.

Tort:
A small terrestrial rocky ball, similar to Earth’s Mars, Tort is only lightly inhabited and it has only one large city. It has a small moon, only the size of a quarter of Luna and it is the only terrestrial body in its home star system. The only reason the system is valuable is because of the 9 Gas Giants that inhabit the system. Many people live in orbit above the Gas Giants, running giant Hydrogen gathering facilities, while about 4 billion live on Tort.

Together these three worlds make up the “Home Systems”, the first three star systems that the Gaestaria settled.

History:
1000 AD
The War of Explosions takes place between the Kingdom Of Datapossible, and the Dukedom of Jucha, and World War 2 type technology is developed.
Datapossible is destroyed during the war, and takes 50 years to rebuild afterward.
1050 AD
The City is finally rebuilt, and the Treaty of Datapossible is written, merging the Great Southern Empire, the City State of Datapossible, and the Outer World Rulers in to one kingdom, the first Federation Of Gaea.
1060 AD
The First Federation of Gaea spreads out, defeating the Dukedom of Jucha, the ones responsible for the War Of Explosions.
1080 AD
The First Federation of Gaea slowly begins downfall when the President dies from a heart attack.
1200 AD
The FFOG falls apart when the new president breaks the Treaty Of Datapossible, and slaughters 1 million civilians in the “Slaughter Of Kallanta”, claiming that all of the civilians killed were terrorists. Robotica revolts and the now rebel army marches on Datapossible, beginning the War of Justice.
1210 AD
The War Of Justice finishes after the President and all his supporters are killed in a bombing of the Presidential Palace. The Federation collapses and a monarchy erected, the Countess Krystal Pollstyza is made the queen of the New Styza Dynasty.
1250 AD
Queen Krystal Pollstyza is killed by an assailant while taking her stroll in the palace gardens, The attacker flees in to the street with the palace guards after him, and the pheasants stone him to death when they realise that he killed there beloved queen. Prince Jai Pollstyza takes the throne.
1300 AD
King Jai Pollstyza marries Lady Anne Yuvonna, in a fairy tale romance. But the Queen Anne murders the King on their wedding night, and escapes, never to be seen again. The Queen’s employers are discovered to be Lord Yuvonna, who is put to death for treason. Princess Lacy Bastille, a distant cousin of the kings, takes the throne until the Prince is old enough to take it.
1305 AD
Queen Lacy pulls the New Styza Dynasty apart, having several noblemen hung for false accusations of treason, and removing the titles from several others. She then heavily taxes the populace of the Empire, and imprisons the young prince on the charge of attempting to murder her.
1320 AD
The populace of the empire has finally had enough, and riots break out in the streets. A decoy car of the queens is blown up by a bomb, and the Summer Palace is burnt down. The queen dispatches the Imperial Forces, who shoot down almost a hundred thousand protesters in a mass slaughter.
1322 AD
After the slaughter of the protesters, the riots stop for 2 years, but then it starts again, when the Queen’s lover is shot in the main street, and the Lord Mayor is kidnapped. Riots break out, and one woman chains herself to the palace gates, which were then opened by the order of the queen, ripping the woman apart in a bloody spectacle.
1323 AD
The riots continue for a year, and even though over ten thousand protesters are killed by the army, the protests continue. One group of soldiers revolt, steal a missile launcher and machine guns, and attack the palace, killing twenty palace guards, two of the Queen’s bodyguards, and destroying the palace gates and gate house before they are killed themselves.
1325 AD
A general of the army revolts, and leads an army of ten thousand soldiers against the queen, during a meeting of parliament. The queen, new Lord Mayor, and every one of the nobles present are killed, and the Parliament building destroyed, ending the tyranny of Queen Lacy.
1350 AD
After 25 years of division the kingdoms once again unit, this time when a space shuttle lands on Balisk. The Second Federation of Gaea is created, and technology advances rapidly.
1400 AD
Colonization of Balisk is impossible so far, but technology is created that allows for permanent spaceports on the surface of Gaea. Also the first draft of Tritons Triumph is drawn up.
1525 AD
Tritons Triumph reaches half way done, and the construction of the star port to launch it is finished. A smaller space station has already been sent in to Balisk orbit.
1600 AD
Tritons Triumph is launched in to Balisk orbit, and projects to colonize Balisk begin. The Federation experiences a revision of its constitution, and the title of the leader of the Federation changes from President to Chancellor.
1700 AD
The first female Chancellor is elected to power.
1750 AD
Terraforming is completed, and Female’s are allowed in to the army and law enforcement. Interstellar travel is achieved by the Gaestaria, and contact is made with other intelligent life.
1800 AD
The Gaestaria spread out, beginning to colonize the stars the immediate area around them.
1900 AD
The first extraterrestrial species is encountered by the Gaestaria.
2000 AD
The first sapient AI of Gaestaria construction is put in to use.
2500 AD
Laser weaponry, nanotechnology and FTL travel are invented by the Gaestaria, among other technologies.

The first piece of recorded history about the Gaestaria is the tablet of history, written by the Emperor Nuntuntut the second, the legendary Emperor Nuntuntut’s grandson.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From The Tablet Of History, Authored by Emperor Nuntuntut Tubistian the second:
The Emperor Nuntuntut the first was a very rich man, from the grand and great line of Tubistian, and he ruled all of Gaea, and he constructed Nuntuntut as his capital. He crowned it with a palace the size of a city in itself, and he filled it with jewelled buildings, and great wonders of the world, and vast libraries, and zoological gardens and temples and many smaller palaces, and the rich and powerful came and lived here for many years, and the poorer folk came visiting, wishing to see the grand wonders and hoping to receive some money from the Emperor himself, for the Emperor was a kind man and often gave enormous riches away.

But the Emperor soon became old, and died, and his son, a very stupid and mean man, became the Emperor in his place. And he ruled like a tyrant. He taxed the people, and imprisoned them when they could not pay him, and soon even the rich became poorer. And he surrounded himself with evil advisers, and soon the Emperor was hated throughout the land. Very soon a rebellion spread, and the richest man in the land besides the Emperor was soon leading an army against Nuntuntut and the Emperor Rubbishara. The army wared with the Emperors army for 6 months, and soon the Emperor’s army was without supplies, and they surrendered, and the Emperor fled to the his palace, and him and his advisers thought for a further week from the palace, but soon the might of the army defeated the defences of the palace, and the gates where broken down and the palace torched, and the Emperor and his advisers died in the fire.

After the war it was declared against the law for any man or woman to be named Rubbishara, and death would be given to those who named there children that name. The city, burnt to the ground, was abandoned. An earthquake a decade later caved in the entrance and the city was not seen again in the life time of any of the people present.

The Prince Nuntuntut became the Emperor after Emperor Rubbishara, for he had long not lived with his father, but he had been raised by monks in Possible, and he was considered fit to rule, and so he was given the throne. Emperor Nuntuntut the second returned the kingdom to power, for it had been laid waste by the war, but soon the world was once again prosperous and the Emperor became richer even than his fathers father, but he was not as wise as his father and although the kingdom became rich, its lands slowly shrunk, and when he was old and dieing the Emperor gave his throne to his second child, not his first, for his first was evil, like the Emperors own father, and then the Emperor hid the total sum of his treasure, for he knew that it would be wasted if he left it, and so the fabulous treasure of Emperor Nuntuntut The Second was never seen again in the life time of anyone present.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The only other account of the history of this great empire, now called the Nuntuntut Empire, was found only recently, in the ruined Great Library, which was discovered when a factory was demolished in Datapossible and the ruins discovered. It is know as the Tablet of the Priestess, and was authored by the High Priestess of the occult of the goddess of the sea, Atora.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From The Scroll Of The Priestess, Authored by the High Priestess of the occult of Atora, Janita Kalastisa.

I will begin this tale of my life with a simple phrase “The world ends”. For that is what it feels like. The city lays in the ruins, the temple has been wiped away, the Emperor has not been seen since the great shaking, and the great pillar of history has fallen upon the palace of scrolls. I lay here, my legs crushed beneath a great stone, fearing a another great shaking, as the remanent of my palace slowly falls to dust as the small shaking’s continue, and wonder if life was worth it.

You wonder what I mean? You see me as the powerful high-priestess, with a goddess that favours me, with clothes like a queen, and with a great palace of my own. But no, there is no goddess, I know that now, and what are clothes when you are dieing? and what is a palace that falls to dust when the ground shakes?.

My time is short now, the palace shall crumble to dust soon, and I shall fall and never be seen again, but I will give this scroll to my faithful Destiny, and she will run from the palace that I am trapped in and give this to the old librarian and he will make sure that someone reads it and that it helps someone. That I know.

How many things I could tell you, of days good and bad, of times happy, and times sad, but I will only recount now about my time, about only the year before now. It was a time when the occult was powerful, and everyone, even the Emperor worshiped Atora. I became rich, the temple became fabulous, a building to rank above all, and those that served Atora as priestess’s became rich and powerful and were asked for wisdom and for future telling.

The Emperor became old and tired, and his riches and kingdom slowly diminished, as the world to the south broke free from the Empires hold, after a thousand years of serving the Emperor. The last Emperor that their ever will be was slowly dieing, he was racked with coughing, and he could not move his legs no longer. His son was handsome, and wise, and of great birth, for his mother was a princess and his father the Emperor, but even he would not be able to recover the Empire from its failing health, for as the old Emperor Nuntuntut The Seventh slowly died, so did the Empire Of The Nuntuntut’s.

It came only yesterday when the city shook and the temple fell. The palace of the Emperor crumpled, and the Palace Of Kalastisa crumbled. People screamed, and buildings fell. People died, and building turned to dust. A great dirtslide ripped the ruins of the old palace off the hill and brought them down upon the city. The ground cracked, the water became brown, and the no building was left standing.
It was the Great Shaking that the scientists had feared.

The bad men from the south stormed the ruined city yesterday, and they raped and pillaged and killed and burnt and stole. They took the Palace of the Emperor’s yesterday, and the Palace of Kalastisa will fall tomorrow morning. I am unable to flee, but my servants and friends will flee to the great library in the night, where the even the bad men of the south dare not pillage.

I wish to leave on message to the future, don’t sin and don’t believe in fake gods, for though it may bring money, and power, it will only last a season, before death and destruction comes swiftly upon you.

I wish you luck in life young one, and I hope you may live as long as me, as I am 232 now, in the year 180 of the reign of Emperor Nuntuntut The Seventh.

~ The Ex-High Priestess Of Atora, Janita Kalastisa, who was born in the age of Empress Yuvonna, and died in the age of Emperor Nuntuntut The Seventh.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From what historians can gather, there is a gap of 1000 years between the Tablet Of History, and the Scroll Of The Priestess. There has not been found any record of the years between these accounts.
The next account dates another 2000 years in the future, roughly 3000 years before the current date. This account is the Scroll of the Prince, authored by Prince Jai Pollstyza, and shows us what existed before the Asteroid hit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From The Scroll of the Prince, Authored by Prince Jai Pollstyza, Crown Prince of the Empire Of Styza:

Day 1 Of The Month Of Flowers:
The festival of flowers has begun, and people shout and celebrate in the streets, and father feasts with the guests of importance in the palace, but I do not wish to become fat and lazy like him. It is amazing the Empire still exists, for it has shrunk so much that it should not be named an Empire but a single city now, and I wait, fearing the war that will soon destroy us. Currently our city is great and grand, with a huge palace in the center, and a great library and a palace of treasure, which is the biggest building anywhere.

Day 3 Of The Month Of Flowers:
The celebration continue, but my spy’s inform me that an army approaches. Father ignores my warnings, so I will flee to the great library tomorrow. Already my servants pack money and jewels for us to live off, and my mother is coming with us.

Day 4 Of The Month Of Flowers:
The warriors attacked the day after we fled, and we can see Possible burning from here, high in the mountains. The townsfolk ran screaming in to the mountain yesterday, screaming in horror as their homes burnt and the rival warriors fought in the valley. We tremble in our mountain re-treat, which only the royal know of. It is the secret retreat of the rulers of Possible for thousands of years.

Last Day Of The Month Of Flowers:
Flames consume the city as far as we can see, and the sky rains ice upon the world below us, slowly dimming the fire. The great stone from the sky destroyed our world, and the great library slowly crumbles over the cliff. We flee even now, and I must go, to find a new city for us to live in. We will take the scrolls that the Old Library marked as important, and story them in a new great library, and I will include this scroll, or I fear that the great stone will be forgotten.

~ Prince Jai’s Diary.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is the last account of history known. There are no records of historic events that we know of for another two thousand years. Most likely most were lost in the War Of Explosions, which is mentioned here and gives us an idea of the technology that was around a thousand ears ago, which seems to be something like the technology of the human World War 2.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Book Of The Memories of Old Ones, Compiled by Count Arthur Pollstyza.
This entry was written by Lady Olga Meztrazy and is titled “The War Of Explosions”:

Flames, smoke, explosions. Sound, chaotic sounds, the sounds of screaming, of pain, of death, and of fire, of destruction, of bombs. These were the things that surrounded me as I fled along the street, past the burning Library, past the ruined Council Archives, past the burnt out Hall Of Royalty, past the crumbling Palace, and in to the Great Library. Once again the library was saved, though not totally this time. The north wing, which contained the records of the past one thousand years, was destroyed, and the offices of the library employers had burnt down. I raced up to the current Old Librarian, panting, and deposited my scrolls with him. For I owned a large manor in which I kept a large scroll collection, and now as the flames consumed my house I had grabs my most important scrolls and brought them to the library.

Outside aircraft flew over, there engines screaming, and their bombs dropping and exploding, shaking the building I was in. Who knew such technology existed already. The scientists of out city had told us that aircraft would not come for another 20 years. But I was quickly snapped out of that thought as the Old Wise One asked for the scrolls. I handed them over, and ran out of the library again. I narrowly missed being exploded as a bomb took out the bank as I ran past it, and towards the bomb shelters. Flames consumed the Lord-Mayor’s manor as a flurry of bombs took out the Zoological Gardens on the other side of the street, and I tripped and fell. I screamed as a bomb bore down on me, but it missed and crashed in to the Cathedral, blowing the spire to pieces. I screamed again and got up and ran, as the spire collapsed on to the road. I ran in to the entrance of the bomb shelter just as it closed, and dropped down, panting.

The war would continue for another year, and by the end of it only the Library survived in the city center. The Alliance Of Datapossible would lose, and the Kingdom Of Triton would take over. After the war the advancement of technology slowed down, and the world lived peacefully for many a year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After The War Of Explosions all history was taken down officially by historians. As you can see, history up to this point is sketchy and largely unknown.