PDA

View Full Version : Proposals

StormWolf
06-30-2011, 04:34 PM
Here is where we will propose, debate, and decide on different elements of the world that we wish to see included in the game. Do not be shy, as this is a High Fantasy RPG and many things can be reasoned in to existance.

This is not where races and factions and such will be posted, rather this is where monsters, magic, religeon, and other important elements will be forged and implimented in to the gameplay.

Let the Brainstorming commence!

Awean8
06-30-2011, 07:46 PM
Dragons. There must be dragons.

StormWolf
06-30-2011, 08:00 PM
very good. More depth? Dragon is a very broad term. Do we want dragons to be wild animals or have them be more sentient like in Eragon or Dragonheart?

Awean8
07-01-2011, 03:07 AM
Sentient but ancient dragons. Although on the brink of extinction due to self proclaimed "dragonslayers" most dragons are extremely intelligent and have many magical spells and abilities.

Xanthuss
07-01-2011, 08:24 AM
Gods, Immortals, Elemental Spirits... Are any of these going to be included?

StormWolf
07-01-2011, 08:18 PM
We need to flesh out religion(s) for sure. At least two main religions. Feel free to make a thread of your ideas and it will be up for discussion.

Atrum Daemon
07-01-2011, 10:08 PM
I will gladly make a thread fleshing out creatures and things that will be mentioned in the history of my nation. You know, once I get that finished and up.

StormWolf
07-02-2011, 12:43 AM
sounds good atrum. I'll try and get a thread up tonight about the Gods and Old Gods

Sigma
07-03-2011, 09:33 AM
I've got an idea for our first monster. the Dreadspawn, Aka, Lycans. care to guess what that came from. XD

StormWolf
07-03-2011, 06:05 PM
an angry god cursed one of the Russiks? Or the Dread Wolf filled a woman with his spirit and she birthed a cross-breed demigod?

Sigma
07-03-2011, 06:07 PM
I was thinking a horde of werewolves(Be they formly human or otherwise), to provide something of a menace and constant threat.

StormWolf
07-03-2011, 06:19 PM
i could see them being in great hordes on the far side of the Hadron Wall, but their claws and uncanny abilities of stealth would allow them to scale the wall and enter Niflheim and go further south. I was actually going to make a post of wolfen creatures, including the direwolf, thunderwolf, and now we can add the werewolves, though I think Dreadspawn is a better name for them - less cliche in this day and age.

Awean8
07-03-2011, 06:33 PM
I was just about to make a hyena-folk race for Múspell -_-

rabbit
07-04-2011, 12:45 AM
They could, perhaps, be a variation of werewolves, Awean? Like dragons, there are different types for the regions?

K
07-04-2011, 01:27 AM
They could, perhaps, be a variation of werewolves, Awean? Like dragons, there are different types for the regions?

Or perhaps they all fall under the same category of shapeshifters or anthropomorphic animals? Most often in fiction, "were-creatures" are based off organisms from the phylogenetic order Carnivora (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnivora), which includes everything from wolves to hyenas to even bears. Of course, there is the exception of bats, along with other ones I can't think of at the moment.

Still, it's probably a good idea to not single out a certain type of "anthroform", by saying it's the only one within the setting. It could even be more interesting to consider the ecological or long-term consequences of there being many different species of were-creatures.

rabbit
07-04-2011, 02:18 AM
^^^^

That. :]

Awean8
07-04-2011, 04:22 AM
Well, would this race of anthropomorphic animals be disease based since in most werewolf stories a person must first contract Lycanthropy?

K
07-04-2011, 05:32 AM
Well, would this race of anthropomorphic animals be disease based since in most werewolf stories a person must first contract Lycanthropy?

That depends, since most people approach this from a perspective that matches that of modern Western literature, which can be rather limiting in some situations. Still, specifics are useful, which helps with the following:

An example that would go against the common trend would be the Filipino legend of the "Aswang". The Aswang is essentially a vampire-like entity that doesn't make more of its kind through transferring a disease, but still possesses many qualities we would associate with traditional vampires, such as blood-sucking, attacking at night, flies via bat-like wings, and is deterred by salt.

Another example would be the Timorese "Cynanthrope", which is a human-canine shapeshifter with the power to transform people into animals of various types. While it is an animal-human hybrid, changes others into "were-creatures" against their will, and is usually malignant and predatory, it still doesn't fall into the traditional concept of a were-creature.

These are just two examples of were-creatures that don't follow traditional Western views, but might be interesting nonetheless. To prevent misinterpretations and confusion, it would be best to specify exactly what constitutes a were-creature, and what is a "pseudo-were-creature". Otherwise, you'll have people putting Aswang-like and Cynanthrope-like entities into the same category as vampires and werewolves, which would just make things very complicated.

Awean8
07-04-2011, 11:03 AM
Idk, I think it'll be up to Storm and Enigma to decide since it's their idea.

Enigma
07-04-2011, 08:24 PM
Idk, I think it'll be up to Storm and Enigma to decide since it's their idea.
It's Sigma's idea, actually. Bites work for vampires and weres, definitely - but not all shapeshifters are weres and vampires.

StormWolf
07-04-2011, 09:39 PM
bites is one way to do it, but if we wanted to make them more of a cursed king of people, maybe a kind of Lich has to curse someone. It is open for debate, people. We are creating a fantasy world here. go nuts

Awean8
07-05-2011, 12:40 AM
Is anyone making plans for a Midgard?

Black
08-16-2011, 04:41 PM
What about Wendingo's for the wild's of the world? Wendingos are cannibalistic supernatural being that used to be humans or some other variant of sentient life. They can mimic the human voice and in some lore they can possess and transform into humans and can only be killed by fire.

A Wendingo is made (From my knowledge) or born when a human (not just a human in this world considering all the races) becomes and cannibal and eats others of their kind. In some lore it is said that eating human flesh gives one boosted talents and strength.

Just something for thought.

StormWolf
08-17-2011, 07:33 PM
that would be cool. make a post about all of their in's and out's in the Tome of Knowledge.

Black
08-19-2011, 12:24 AM
Would you like their strict definition or would you like me to add a little oomph to them?

StormWolf
08-19-2011, 01:55 AM
Go ahead and oomph it