PDA

View Full Version : Here there be Dragons?

StormWolf
06-30-2011, 11:00 PM
Awean suggested Dragons. What say you all? Should they be rare creatures of magic and great intellect like in Eragon, or should they be in vast numbers and be nothing more than savage animals like in Reign of Fire? What breeds of dragon should there be? How large should they be? What kind of relationship should they have with the other people in Ashahiem?

Xanthuss
07-01-2011, 08:22 AM
I don't really know If I'm in the project, I'd like to be. But I like the Eragon idea.

K
07-01-2011, 08:52 PM
Should they be rare creatures of magic and great intellect like in Eragon, or should they be in vast numbers and be nothing more than savage animals like in Reign of Fire?

You could have both, or perhaps some sort of middle-grounded intelligence/population.

What breeds of dragon should there be? How large should they be?

Typically in fiction, dragon species are distinguished by the environment they live in, which is usually associated with a specific color, or a certain body structure (ex: Western vs. Eastern Dragons).

Their size is directly related to how personable you want them to be in the setting. Dragons that are gigantic are usually hard to relate with, and usually more revered or feared than anything else. Those that are not this large, and closer to human sizes in general, are easier to relate with and turn into understandable characters.

What kind of relationship should they have with the other people in Ashahiem?

That depends entirely on all the variables above. If they're smart, they could be revered and respected. If they're savage, they'll be feared or hated. If they're few in number, they'll be viewed as legendary. If they're populous, then they'll be considered a force in the everyday lives of people.

If there are environment-based breeds, then each region of the world will have their own interpretations on dragons, which will make it easy for people to distinguish what kind of dragon someone is talking about. If dragons are huge, they'll be viewed more or less as awesome as a Leviathan, Drake, or Thunderbird. If dragons are smaller, they may be viewed more like other animals, instead of fantastical creatures.

Awean8
07-02-2011, 05:45 PM
K, pretty much explained it all in one post. I'd rather have dragons depicted as an intelligent race all their own, despite being "endangered", as opposed to the equivalent of savage reptilians.

I'd also think that they should have the innate ability to spell cast since that's the way it is many other universes that I enjoy. This way they can shape change themselves into a more humanoid form in order to interact with other humanoids.

Their general morality should work just as any other character. They will develop their own moral codes and personalities based on personal experience although most dragons will be wary of humans due to the constant threat of those who would want the instant gratification of slaying one.

Zak
07-02-2011, 07:01 PM
*stumbles across this post* Hm, dragons you say? Whatever it is, Im in. XD

I just finished reading through the Inheritance series for the first time a couple days ago. (got it like a week ago. yeah, I read too fast xD) So I am definitely one for having a very intelligent, majestic portrayal of dragons.

So, since I dont know why this post is here I have a question, whats the question here? Is a RP being started up? What's it about?

Awean8
07-02-2011, 07:05 PM
Idk, we're mostly just world building here....

Zak
07-02-2011, 07:12 PM
Ah, gotcha. Well, I'm not afraid to say it, I'm a complete lover of dragons. XD So I'm in if you want to make a RP around this world. Or help in general if you need it.

Awean8
07-02-2011, 07:14 PM
Well, you should probably go to the main thread and learn a little bit more about Storm's world before you decide anything.

Zak
07-02-2011, 07:17 PM
Good idea. I'll go do that

K
07-02-2011, 07:19 PM
I'd also think that they should have the innate ability to spell cast since that's the way it is many other universes that I enjoy. This way they can shape change themselves into a more humanoid form in order to interact with other humanoids.

This is a workable idea. However, it's also plausible that dragons could manifest their personalities in the form of avatars, who speak on their behalf when consulting with other races. These avatars could be reptilian humanoids, or dragons with size ranges within that of other humanoid races. If the avatar is killed, the dragon does not die, even though they could still be harmed by the event of their avatar being destroyed.

This would make it safer to engage with humanoid beings, since there is always the possibility that a dragon could be taken off guard if they shapeshift into humanoids, which also entails a "bottling up" of their powers to actually retain that form.

Though, that's just one viewpoint.

Their general morality should work just as any other character. They will develop their own moral codes and personalities based on personal experience although most dragons will be wary of humans due to the constant threat of those who would want the instant gratification of slaying one.

Well said. If we're talking about intelligent, rare dragons, we still have multiple social structures for them. They could congregate together and all live in the same area, or be widely dispersed and generally be solitary creatures.

The former would make them more close-knit and sociable, while the latter would make them ungregarious and territorial. Close-knit dragons would be very protective of their kin, while ungregarious dragons would probably dislike each other as much as other creatures.

In any situation, if dragons are powerful, they might view humans more like we view wolves or other wild predators. Humans could be useful or even "tamable", in whatever means that requires, but the risk of being attacked by xenophobic adventurers would still be a mild possibility.

Awean8
07-02-2011, 07:34 PM
I was actually thinking more on lines of a disguise so the dragons can actually blend in with the other races because I always picture dragons as the plotting type and the ability to mingle with their pawns without them even knowing would prove important to that. I just think an avatar form would be a dead give away, and too much of a weakness for a creature that is the symbol of power.

I agree with you on their society though. I think they're should be different dragon clans where different scattered dragon factions congregate together for a common goal while the vast majority of dragons are for the most part territorial.

K
07-02-2011, 07:41 PM
I was actually thinking more on lines of a disguise so the dragons can actually blend in with the other races because I always picture dragons as the plotting type and the ability to mingle with their pawns without them even knowing would prove important to that. I just think an avatar form would be a dead give away, and too much of a weakness for a creature is the symbol of power.

If they could make avatars with body structures different than their natural form, then they could make human-looking avatars. That's only logical, and I'd imagine that dragons would utilize that capability if they were aware of it, especially if they're as calculating as you imagine them to be.

Wouldn't it be more sensible for a creature of that power to not put themselves directly in harm's way, even if they are that capable? It could be possible for someone to use magic to detect the presence of dragons in disguise, and take advantage of that knowledge. Unless, of course, the dragons are so powerful that even that knowledge would be useless, and could easily hold their own against a whole group of magicians.

I agree with you on their society though. I think they're should be different dragon clans where different scattered dragon factions congregate together for a common goal while the vast majority of dragons are for the most part territorial.

That was my intention. Not all dragons would be the same, and perhaps personality types and social structures are unique for each different breed. Dragons living in fields might be gregarious, while mountain-suited dragons would be solitary, for example. Those are just ideas, though.

Awean8
07-02-2011, 07:48 PM
Well, the same could said about the avatar idea where any wizard could detect them and ultimately destroy them. Hmmmm....Perhaps we should wait for Storm to decide which idea would be more favorable.

I think I'll start creating the clans soon, and post them in the races/nations/tribes section.

Oh, and how about treasure. Will dragons in this realm covet wealth as a sort of natural attraction?

StormWolf
07-02-2011, 09:52 PM
We could take the Elder Scrolls approach where the dragons are like lesser gods, and by the powers being given to them thus far, I would be completely fine with this. Drogons would be equally feared and respected, but some may fall from grace and become demonized. Therefore, slaying a dragon would be a great and terrible feat. Being lesser/ demigods, they could change forms to humanoids and mingle amongst the humans and others. Hell, maybe the dragons come to breed with humans and other races like the Greek gods.

Awean8
07-02-2011, 09:54 PM
Yeah, I like that idea a lot. Would they be part of the deity system or would I have to enter them as a race?

StormWolf
07-02-2011, 10:15 PM
Interesting point, since they can be both. I guess race, and we can call them demigods. Though they don't always act cohesively, and their power would make them more of a spectator to what happens unless they are threatened.

Awean8
07-02-2011, 10:20 PM
We'll have to work out their history with the actual gods though.