PDA

View Full Version : Tips and tricks for a taste-wise cook

Princess Bubbles
07-08-2011, 05:20 AM
Here is a place for your simple kitchen tricks that are less involved with healthy eating and just a matter of taste.

I'll get it started:

The Spices Three
We've all heard of salt and pepper, and for good reason, they are included in many a recipe, and I can't think of a recipe with no salt. Well, maybe almond jello. Anyways, in addition to the dynamic duo, never forget garlic powder. Although much stronger than the others, when used in moderation is absolutely fabulous. These three spices I always use when seasoning any meat, dense salad, and dressings. Wonderful!

Butter
Yes, butter. I don't even keep PAM in the house. While it does it's job, coating a pan in butter gives a certain taste to your food that PAM does not have, no matter how hard it tries. For example: if carmalizing onions, you can get it done without butter, but it's much slower and leaves something to be desired.

Scrapings and edible scraps
For years I threw away my cutting board scraps and scrubbed away the scrapings and bits of anything left over in the pan. Now, it's silly. I use them to add something different on top of a salad, mix in with coatings for chicken strips and such, and add to my usual spices.

Peanut Butter: New Identity
Use peanut butter in your sauce for chicken drumsticks (Small amounts, and in addition to your spices three, soy sauce, and grilled sesame seeds, of course), in noodles if you don't have a sauce, and if you blend your butter and peanut butter, you have something magnificent to put on your toast. Trust me on this one.

Leave your taste-wise cooking tips for all to see here! ~bubbles~

Jinxed
07-23-2011, 07:48 PM
I don't really have any tips to add... I'm no great cook, I tend to just stick with the methods my Mom has taught me XD

But as for Garlic Powder... That stuff makes Peas taste Great. Mix it in with the peas before you cook them... Lovely <3

Chibi
10-16-2012, 04:01 PM
Well, I have a few...but honestly, I don't think I'm a cooking mastermind (although my boyfriend seems to think so |D )

For steamed vegetables:
Use some All-spice and Italian season blend for the spices, it gives a SMALL kik, but it also brings out the flavors of whatever veggies you use.

For Fried Zucchini:
Season your egg mixture with some garlic salt.
Make Homemade Garlic Bread and turn it into bread crumbs
Then proceed normally with the prep/cooking with fresh oil each run you do in the pan ^^

Xaphan
12-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Superspice: Cayane pepper, garlic pepper, sea salt, paprika and that weird creole seasoning. <3 great on noodles, meat... just about everything really!

Making scrambled eggs: use a little coconut milk to make them have great texture