PDA

View Full Version : [M] Mannaful ~MadinWonderland & Shades of Gray

Pages : [1] 2 3

MadinWonderland
08-18-2011, 03:28 AM
Darkness and pain. Those were the first two emotions that ran through his mind as he came to awareness. Nothing worked besides his lungs, it seemed. Though those were hard-pressed to work right, it felt like a huge weight was crushing the air slowly out of him. Instinctively he began to panic and move, making whatever was on top of him add more pressure to his body.

Focus. Everything will make sense if I just relax. Breathing as deeply as his body would let him, he relaxed his body, trying to recognize his surroundings. I'm buried alive by what feels the rocks and dirt. I smell mulch... probably a farm nearby. Now only two things left to think about; how I got under these rocks and how I can get out.

Ashen
08-18-2011, 03:53 AM
"Be back before dinner."
"Yes Mama."
Kadey walked out onto her field. She stared at the tall grass that needed to be cut. She walked on.
She looked behind her and saw the roof of her house long in the distance. The cows were grazing a safe distance away. Nodding to herself, Kadey pulled out her match. She sparked a small fire on the grass before her. She watched as her fire grew and grew. It cackled as she fed it some wheat. Kadey wanted so badly to touch the orange flames before her, but she knew better.
She heard a noise behind her and, panicking, she put out her flames. If her mother knew she was a pyromaniac she'd kill her.
Kadey stood up and straightened her dress. She scanned the field. "Hello?" she called. "Mama is that you?"
Kadey started to walk back to her house but something told her to stay. She turned around to find a small ember still dancing. Sighing with relief-what would have happened if she had left this fire?-she extinguished the flame.

MadinWonderland
08-18-2011, 04:00 AM
Alright, it's decided. With large intake of breath, he began. For the first moment he waited, allowing the feeling of the mana surge course through his body.
Strange, it seems weaker here. Wherever here is.
The ground above him began to glow a bluish white, lines of mana coating the rocks as he focused his attention on them. With a small grunt he began moving his arms upward, the rocks that were weighing his body copying the motion. After a few seconds the rocks were completely in the air and the warm light from the sun streamed into the hole he was in.

Ashen
08-18-2011, 04:07 AM
Kadey was just walking back to her house when she heard rocks being thrown. Annoyed-how many times did she have to tell those city kids to go away?-Kadey walked over to the spot where rocks lay scattered. "Would you city folk-" she stopped when she saw a giant hole. It was way too big to be a rabbit hole. The hole was big enough for Bennie, her Mama's biggest cow.
"Hello?" she called, crouching down. Inside the hole was a human shaped figure. Alarmed, she said, "Who goes there?"

MadinWonderland
08-18-2011, 04:13 AM
"Hello? Who goes there?" A woman's voice reached his ears and he opened his milky brown eyes, staring up at her. It was young woman, barely even a woman in these times. For a moment he just watched her, then it hit him. She's a human. He laid there, still as a rock, staring but in his mind thoughts were racing.
What is a human doing here?! What should I do? Should I capture her? Send her to the capital? What do I do?!

Ashen
08-18-2011, 04:32 AM
Kadey peered into the hole. Her long brown hair fell into the hole. It shielded her pale face from view.
"Who are you?" she called, her voice cracking in the second syllable. "Why are you on our farm?"
Kadey stood, straightening. "I don't know why you're here, but if you don't speak up I can't help you out of here."
Kadey paused, then called, "Do you speak English?" She thought of what she would do if someone who didn't speak her language was at the bottom of that hole. How would she communicate?
Or better yet, did she want to?

MadinWonderland
08-18-2011, 04:38 AM
She doesn't recognize me? Well, it has been thousands of years since we were last seen... "English, yes. I do speak English." The words felt heavy and gross on his tongue. Every elf was taught to speak English as a second language Though it was a disgusting way of speaking, the elves pride themselves on their knowledge of the past. So they practice the old ways, even if they were outdated. Compared to her, his words were formal, stiff, and a little bit off compared to what she'd be used to.

Ashen
08-18-2011, 04:43 AM
Kadey sat down next to the hole as she heard a response. It sounded strange, not at all like the people from the village. His voice didn't even sound like the bizarre voices of the city folk. She pushed herself to the edge and extended her hand. "Where are you from?" she asked. She tried to see if the man looked like a city fellow but the hole was too dark.
Her second question, unasked, still lay at the back of her mind.
And why are you here?
The sun beat down on her causing a bead of sweat to escape her forehead. "Come on, it's hot out here," she rushed with a smile.

MadinWonderland
08-18-2011, 04:49 AM
Sitting up by himself, he stared at her hand then looked up at her.
She expects me to trust her so readily? Humans are as stupid as they told us.
When he went to stand on his own, his vision swam and he ended up leaning against the side of the hole. This was something he had not noticed before; his head felt like it was going to explode. Did I use too much mana? That didn't seem like a lot...
He felt the back of his head, surprised to find it warm and wet. Looking at his hand, he was surprised to see blood.
Oh I see, I must have hit my head when I fell into this hole.

Ashen
08-18-2011, 04:57 AM
Kadey stared at the man as he stumbled inside the hole. "Are you...drunk?" She had seen a drunk city man run out to her Mama before once. It had not ended well.
Something inside the hole caught Kadey's attention. "Oh my, are you bleeding? I'll be right back with a bandage for you. Don't move." She stared at his hole. Not that he can, she added to herself.
She ran back to her house. Kadey decided against telling Mama about the strange man. Not yet anyway.
She wet a towel and ran it to the man. "Here," she said handing it to him. "And here's some disinfectant." She smiled at him. The man looked...strange.

MadinWonderland
08-18-2011, 05:02 AM
"I do not drink those alcoholic beverages." His voice was once again formal and unemotional. He would not give himself away to her. Being careful not to touch her he took the towel, pressing it to the back of his head, ignoring the disinfectant. Looking up at her with his cold, unchanging expression he said, "Thank you." Even though she's a human she is trying to help, it wouldn't hurt him to be polite.

Ashen
08-18-2011, 03:43 PM
Kadey stared at the man, puzzled. He had a certain monotone she couldn't place. "Well you better come out of that hole," Kadey said. "We wouldn't want you disrupting the cows.
A Shetland sheepdog ran up to Kadey and peered down at the hole. He growled at the intruder that lay stilled. "Correction," Kadey said, "we wouldn't want you to disrupt Shep who in turn would disrupt the cows."
She ran her hands down Shep's mane. "It's okay boy, it's okay."
Kadey tucked the disinfectant into the pouch on her apron. "You look exhausted," she pointed. "Come back to my house. We have a spare room if you'd like to jut lay your head." Shep started to growl again.
"Shep, patrol," Kadey commanded and the dog ran off into the field. "Sorry, Shep doesn't like visitors. So come on."

MadinWonderland
08-18-2011, 04:26 PM
She's offering her home to me. Is this a trap? I shouldn't go but if I don't rest, I won't have the energy to leave...
"Yes, thank you." Tossing the towel out of the hole, he placed his hands on the edge of the hole. With little effort, he pulled himself up and over the lip of the hole. As he stood he brushed off the dirt that had collected onto his clothes.
When he finished fixing himself he looked down at her. Easily taller than her, he also had lean, tight muscles that showed due to his lack of shirt. His clothes were definitely not from around here, they were made from a silk-like cloth that wrapped around only his waist and shoulders. Though, despite his strange appearance, the oddest part about him was his tan skin. Glowing bluish-white, the mana lines covered every inch of his body.

Ashen
08-18-2011, 04:32 PM
Kadey stilled. There was something wrong with this man. What had she gotten herself into?
"Um, w-where did you say you were from?" She stared at his muscles, twice the size of the movers her mother had hired. He could easily pin her down and she'd be helpless. But his skin, what colour was it? What race is he? she thought. She gulped hard. Kadey silently wished she had let Shel stay beside her. Shep would get her Mama if this man did anything stupid.
She blinked twice and looked up at his face. He was so tall compared to Kadey's 5'2". Still, she couldn't remove her eyes from his skin.
It's the light from the sun, she thought. Still, she didn't believe herself.

MadinWonderland
08-18-2011, 04:36 PM
"Where am I?" He looked around, his gaze cold and unemotional. I was right, this is a farm. She must be the owner's daughter. The sun hurt his eyes after being in that hole for so long. Covering his eyes with one hand, he picked up the towel he had tossed. "This is yours?" He extended his arm, bringing the bloody towel closer to her.

Ashen
08-18-2011, 04:54 PM
Kadey gave a crooked smile. "You're on the edge of Treddar Farm," she said, motioning the plain with her hand. "We've been running it for ten years."
She stared down at the towel he was offering. "Um, you can hold on to that for a second." Today was Tuesday; her mother was doing the wash today. Noticing how the man never answered her, she left it alone. "What's your name?"
She stared up at him. Gosh, he was so tall. She wanted to ask him how tall exactly but she decided against it.
"Oh, and let's take you to my room." Kadey smiled until she realised what she had said. "Erm. Let's take you to rest," she rephrased.
She started walking towards her house. Kadey turned around to make sure the man was following.

MadinWonderland
08-18-2011, 05:03 PM
"One should give their own name before asking for another." The man met her gaze, staring. "Although, since I will be taking up residence in your home for a bit I shall give you my name. Raeralrin."
The name slipped from his lips as if gliding on water. The language of the elves was definitively the most beautiful language in his mind. After mentally debating the pros and cons of the situation he decided to go with her.
Taking a step toward her, he motioned forward with his hand. "I will follow."

Ashen
08-18-2011, 05:14 PM
"Raeral-what?" Kadey stood puzzled by the strange man's name. "Um, how about Rae? You can call me Kadey."
She walked back to her house before she smelled smoke. Alarmed, she quickly turned around to check her pit. She couldn't see a fire, but that's how fires were; they crept out unexpected. She took another sniff and realised it was her Mama cooking. "Oh," she mumbled, "Mama's burning the food again." Kadey smiled and walked Rae back to her house. "Here, your room is upstairs." She walked up the stairs and led him to a room with beige walls. The floor was wood and in the corner was a twin sized bed. "Make yourself at home." She stared at a picture that hung from the wall. It was a picture of a mysterious element known as Manna. She walked up to it. "Have you heard of Manna?" she asked Rae. "It's been gone so long people are starting to doubt it's existence."

MadinWonderland
08-18-2011, 05:20 PM
Small. That's the first word that popped into Raeralrin's mind. As she led him through the house filled with the smell of burnt cooking, he almost smiled. I should never have expected more, they are but a poor farming family... But what are they doing on Silas?... Her voice brought him back to focus. "Manna? Gone? Manna has never left, what are you talking about. Silas is made of Manna." He did smile at this. "Where did you think you were, human?"

Ashen
08-18-2011, 05:25 PM
Kadey's head perked. "I-I'm sorry?" Her head tilted to one side. "What makes you an expert on Manna?"
Kadey looked back at the picture on the wall. The Manna was white tinted blue. So was Rae's skin.
"Are you-" she started but stopped herself. No, it was too crazy. "I think you should lay down," she smiled but on the inside questions were bubbling around. "Shall I make you some tea?"

MadinWonderland
08-18-2011, 05:31 PM
What is a human doing on Silas? His brown eyes stared into hers, cold and unwavering. Even in his eyes, the bluish-white light glowed around his irises. "Tea would be fine, thank you." He sat down on the bed, still a bit taller than her, even though he was sitting. What is going on here? There is no way they'd be able to hide from the authorities. How did they even get here? Raeralrin turned his gaze away from her to stare at the picture of Manna.

Ashen
08-18-2011, 05:42 PM
Kadey skipped down the stairs and into the kitchen where her mom was removing a charred ear of corn. "Oh, burnt corn, my favourite! Thanks Mama!" Kadey said jokingly. She got the kettle and began to boil water.
"I would have made you some tea, dear," Kadey's mom said.
"Thanks, but you'd find a way to burn the water."
Her mother grimaced but Kadey smiled. "Mama, what can you tell me about Manna?"
As she pulled out a burnt roast, she stared at her daughter quizzically. "Why?"
"Just wondering."
"It's a blue and white light that we used to have but the Silasians took away from us."
"What's a Silas-whatever?"
"Someone from Silas. Have you milked the cows yet?"
"No Mama," Kadey admitted. "After tea."
Nodding, Kadey's mother walked out the kitchen. "We're having salad today," she called.
Kadey stared at the roast her mother had left on the table. Surely she would mind if Kadey took just a piece...

MadinWonderland
08-18-2011, 05:50 PM
It's decided then. I shall turn them into the authorities after figuring out why they are here. Raeralrin stood slowly, the bed creaking as he removed his weight from it. His skin shone a bit brighter from before, the after effects of having used Manna to tend to his head. The smell of burnt food was still lingering as he waited for the girl. "Kadey..." He tasted the word in his lips then made a face as if it tasted gross. "The human language certainly is worse than this smell of burning food."

Ashen
08-18-2011, 05:59 PM
Kadey grabbed a cup of tea and the plate of roast. She walked upstairs and presented it to Rae. "Sorry the food is a little burnt. Mama is making salad for two and this was all I could get. I scraped off most of the char."
She sat down on the bed. With her fingers she removed a wrinkle in the sheets. Over the smell of burnt meat she still smelled him.
She shook her head to clear her mind and look at Rae. "Anything else?" she asked.

MadinWonderland
08-18-2011, 06:04 PM
"Why are you here in Silas?" He said, not planning on beating around the bush.
Sipping at the tea, his face didn't change, his gaze didn't move. Every inch of his being was focused on her and her existence on his planet. "Humans do not belong here."
The roast wasn't bad, a little crispy but it was not bad. This was something the humans could do better than the elves, he admitted. Cooking was not an elf's best skill.

Ashen
08-18-2011, 06:11 PM
"What?" Kadey spaced herself from this strange man. "You're on Makai. Are you saying your from Silas? That's...That's impossible."
She studied Rae carefully. "Are you... Can you.." Kadey couldn't decide on a single question. "Why are you here? How did you get here?"
Kadey tried to take a breath. This couldn't be real.
But it was. There was an elf in her Papa's room. A real, giant elf.
"What's it like?"

MadinWonderland
08-18-2011, 06:18 PM
"This planet is not Silas?" Raeralrin's eyes narrowed in confusion. "That's impossible."
Walking to the window, he shoved it open, staring at the scenery. "Impossible..."
It was true, nothing shone with Manna like he did, there was no smell of magic in the air. He was not home.
"No... no! No! NO!!" Raeralrin jumped out the second story window, landing easily on the ground. He began sprinting toward the hole where he had first come to awareness.

Ashen
08-18-2011, 06:26 PM
"Rae!" Kadey called after him. "You're going to get yourself killed!"
She ran down the stairs and out the door. "Shep!" She yelled, a quick syllable, and watched as the dog ran by her side. "Heel," she commanded as she picked up speed.
Kadey stopped at the hole she had found Rae. "Rae, what was that?"
Shep growled but Kadey quieted him. "Why are you here?" She had a feeling he didn't know the answer, and if he did he wouldn't tell her.
"And why are you attempting suicide?"

MadinWonderland
08-18-2011, 06:32 PM
"Why? Why am I here?" Raeralrin stared up into the sky, his home planet so close yet so far. "Suicide would bring me farther from home, why would I try that?"
He was silent for a moment, closing his eyes, thinking.
"It seems... I will need to take up residence in your home for a little while longer, Kadey." He turned to look at her, his eyes back to their unemotional state. "I apologize for the inconvenience but it seems I have no where else to go."

Ashen
08-18-2011, 06:41 PM
"Considering you just jumped from a two story window... Yeah, it looked like suicide."
Kadey shrugged. "Oh, I just love your way of asking. And I'll love Mama's response to you even more. 'Hey Mama, can an alien stay in Dad's room?' This should be fun."
Kadey looked up and remembered Rae was right next to her. "Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to sound so rude. Yes, of course you may stay. I'll just need to ask my Mama."
Kadey knew her mother would say no, which is why she ran to her house and only pretended to ask her. She ran back to Rae.
"She said sure. Welcome to Treddar Farm, Rae."

MadinWonderland
08-18-2011, 06:45 PM
"Thank you." His voice sounded distant, as if he wasn't really paying attention. Walking towards their house, he didn't really even slow down for her, his thoughts racing through his head. "I'll need to repay you in someway. Is there anything I can do?"

Ashen
08-18-2011, 06:52 PM
Kadey thought for a second, then replied, "Actually, there is."
She disappeared out of the house and reappeared a few moments later. "Here, put these on," she said, handing him a pair of gloves. "Have you ever milked a cow?"
She started to the cow's pen. "It's as easy as 1, 2, 3. You do have cows on your planet, don't you?"
Kadey got a bucket from the shed. "Is it like Makai? Your planet I mean?"

MadinWonderland
08-18-2011, 06:57 PM
"I'm a quick learner." Raeralrin put the gloves on and took the bucket. "Makai isn't anything like Silas. It doesn't even deserve to be placed in the same sentence as Silas."
With a small smile, he went on. "Silas was born from Manna, so everything glows with the very essence of it. All the creatures are elegant and Manna-gifted, and that includes us elves."

Ashen
08-18-2011, 07:07 PM
Us elves, Kadey thought. "I'd love to someday visit to your planet. But I'm a plain farmgirl on my own planet; I cannot imagine how dull I'd be on yours."
She grabbed a stool and placed it next to Bennie. "The only thing close to many we have is fire." Glorious fire. "Now this is Bennie. She's our best cow. Pretty friendly too." Kadey patted Bennie. Bennie gave a moo.
"Now," Kadey said getting down to business, "when you milk a cow you start at the very top of her nipple." Kadey wrapped her pale fingers around Bennie's utter. "You have to press hard, but not too hard. You don't want to make Bennie uncomfortable." She squeezed Bennie's nipple. A stream of milk came from it and Bennnie gave a satisfied moo.
"It's not as easy as it looks." She moved out of the way so Rae could sit down. "Put your gloves on. Bennie doesn't know you."
Kadey knew the real reason she told him to put gloves on was because she didn't want Bennie to be infected with whatever this alien had brought from his planet. She scolded herself for not using a different cow.

MadinWonderland
08-18-2011, 07:10 PM
Raeralrin sat on the stool, barely fitting on it. He closed his eyes and placed his hand on the side of the cow, whispering a few words in elvish. Following her instructions he attempted to milk the cow, he wasn't great but it didn't seem to bother Bennie. "For how long do I do this?"

Ashen
08-18-2011, 07:15 PM
"Until there's no more milk," Kadey answered. She watched him milk Bennie. He didn't seem comfortable, but Kadey could remember her first time milking a cow. Her mother had taught her the same way she was teaching him. Klara, the cow she had first milked, had startled when she touched her and kicked her in the chest.
Bennie appeared calm. "She likes you," Kadey said to Rae. Either that or he's using his weird Manna and is calming her. Which, Kadey realised, wasn't bad.

MadinWonderland
08-18-2011, 07:20 PM
"I have been raised to treasure animals and what they give us. They are sacred to my people and are treated with respect." Raeralrin said calmly, finishing with the one nipple and moving to the next.
It seems as though this human might just understand that concept.
He looked up at her. "And you? What do you believe?"

Ashen
08-18-2011, 07:25 PM
Kadey didn't know how to answer Rae. She wasn't raised in any particular religion but she didn't believe she was an atheist. "I believe that you should treasure what you have because some day it might not be there when you wake up in the morning."
She was thinking of her father and she knew it. She stared at Rae. Kadey hadn't exactly answered the question the way Rae had been expecting. "We're all lucky, I think. Even the young child that has nothing is lucky. Because he has breath in his lungs and potential in his heart."

MadinWonderland
08-18-2011, 07:28 PM
"You are strange, for a human." He smiled, understandingly. "Yes, we are all lucky to be alive, to have air in our lungs, to be able to see the world around us. No matter where we are. I guess I could have had worse luck." Raeralrin stared down at her. "I could have been saved by a more ignorant human."

Ashen
08-18-2011, 07:39 PM
Kadey smiled. "You could have been a serial rapist," she countered. She let out a laugh.
"Kadey?" She heard her mother's voice. Kadey panicked and ran to greet her mother outside. "I'm milking them now, Mama."
"Who were you talking to?"
"Myself." Her mom gave her a puzzled look.
"Where did you put the hoe?"
"It's in the shed, next to the shovel. Are you planting seeds?"
"No," he mother replied walking away, "I was just making sure."
After a few seconds Kadey walked back into the pen. "Alrighty, where were we? Looks like Bennie is done."

MadinWonderland
08-18-2011, 07:44 PM
"Was that your mother?" Raeralrin began walking toward the door. "I would like to thank her for her hospitality."
Why was she panicking? Humans are so easy to read. Their emotions are everywhere.
"What shall we do with the milk now?" He turned to look at her, pausing, his hand poised ready to open the door.

Ashen
08-18-2011, 07:55 PM
"Don't do that," Kadey said. "Mama is a modest person. She doesn't like being thanked. You'll only make her feel uncomfortable."
Kadey grabbed the bucket. "I'll take it. Thank you for your help. You can rest for the remainder of the day." Kadey brought the bucket to her house. She put it in the fridge. She'd pasteurize it later.
"Kadey, supper!"
Kadey walked into the kitchen. "Thanks Mama."
She sat down at scarfed down her salad and scrabed eggs. Excusing herself, she ran upstairs. Kadey wondered if she should go to Rae's room. She didn't want to seem like a bother, but she didn't need her mom finding him.
Deciding to leave him alone, she ran to the sheep. She lay down the clippers. They didn't need to be sheared yet. Kadey refilled their water dishes. She watched as the sheep drifted off. "Good idea," she said and walked home.

MadinWonderland
08-19-2011, 05:29 AM
Raeralrin sat cross-legged on the old bed, determined to not fall asleep. There was no telling what these humans would do to him when he did. So instead, he decided to get lost in his thoughts. Thoughts like; why am I here? How did I get here? Will these humans attack me? How will I get home? Will I be able to go home?
Admist these thoughts, it grew late and suddenly the weariness of his body kicked in.
The weariness made his eyes grow heavy and soon he was asleep where he sat.

Ashen
08-19-2011, 03:34 PM
Kadey awoke to the cock's alarm outside. She pulled herself out of bed and got her clothes from a drawer. Today was hot; it was only six in the morning and she could tell. She tied her long hair into a bun and walked downstairs. After confirming her mother was in the kitchen, Kadey walked back up the stairs and peered into her Papa's room. Rae was sound asleep. Smiling, she walked back downstairs.
"Good morning, Mama," she said.
"Morning Kadey. Here."
Kadey's mother laid a bowl of oatmeal in front of her. She ate it and then remembered Rae upstairs. "May I...um...have seconds?"
Shocked, Kadey's mom faced her daughter. "Never in sixteen years have you asked for seconds. Kadey are you feeling alright?"
"Fine Mama. Just really hungry."
Reluctant, she gave her daughter a second bowl.
"May I go to my room?"
Baffled, Kadey's mom nodded slowly.
Kadey raced up the stairs and entered Rae's room. She sat down on the floor with her bowl and waited.

MadinWonderland
08-19-2011, 06:19 PM
Manna coursed through his veins and out his fingers tips as he ran through the woods of Silas. Everything was just as he liked it, the sun was setting, the animals were out, and he was alone. Nothing could have been better. Mid-stride, he heard it; a low cracking sound. Peering downward he found his beautiful world crumbling beneath him, everything falling into an abyss as well as himself.
Raeralrin jumped awake, falling off the old, too small bed. Breathing heavily, he checked his surroundings to find he had landed on the human girl. Once again startled, he jumped back into the wall with a loud THUMP.

Ashen
08-19-2011, 06:53 PM
Kadey jumped as a sudden movement startled her. "Ow," she moaned as Rae was on top of her. Fear ran through her-What is he doing to me?-but he was off just as quickly as he was on top of her. She stared up at him to find him smashed against a wall.
"I would ask what you were dreaming about," Kadey said, "but I don't think I want to know."
Kadey stared at the bowl of oatmeal she had saved from her Mama. "Hungry?" she asked, motioning it towards him. She offered a smile.
Kadey got up and brushed off her cream coloured dress. She pushed a stray hair behind her ear and looked at Rae. "Oh, did you hurt your head again?"

MadinWonderland
08-19-2011, 07:29 PM
Raeralrin stared at her, heart pounding. When did she get in here? How long has she been here? Was she watching me sleep?
He went over his body health in his mind. Nothing seems wrong or different... she didn't do anything?
"I apologize for my behavior." Taking the bowl, he sat cross-legged on the floor, back against the wall. His brown eyes stared at her whiles he ate, as if he was afraid to let her out of his sight.
"There is no need to concern yourself with my health, I am fine." Raeralrin said as he finished, setting the now empty bowl down.

Ashen
08-19-2011, 07:38 PM
"Alright," Kadey said slowly. She took the bowl. "I'll take this downstairs then."
Kadey carried the bowl to the kitchen and put it in the sink. "Kadey?" Her mother's voice startled her. "Oh, Mama, I thought you were feeding the sheep."
"Are you okay, honey? I heard a bump upstairs, and it's not like you to take seconds... Kadey do you need to tell me something?"
"I just don't feel good, is all."
Kadey's mother looked her over. "Alright. Well I can tend to the cows today. I still expect you to pick the corn."
"Yes Mama, thank you Mama." Kadey ran back up the stairs and stopped in front of Rae. You have no idea what I'm doing for you, she thought to herself. "Need anything?"

MadinWonderland
08-19-2011, 07:41 PM
"I have yet to meet your mother, I would like to." Raeralrin stood, stooping a little to keep from hitting the ceiling.
After a day and a half I have not met her and thanked her for her hospitality and food. How rude am I? With only a few steps he made it to the door. "It seems rude that I've not done so yet."
Turning to look at her, he gave her a soft smirk. "I would not like to seem rude, now would I?"

Ashen
08-19-2011, 07:53 PM
"No..." Kadey slurred.
"Er, but you would be rude to thank her. She would not like that one bit. And besides, I think she just went to the market in town. It's quite the distance away."
Kadey offered a smile. Where had she learned to lie like this? Perhaps it runs in the family, she thought, thinking of her dad. She then shook her head and reminded herself not to think this.
"Perhaps you can meet her later." She looked at his clothes. "Might you want some new threads?" Kadey walked to her Father's dresser. It had stayed unopened for nearly a decade. His clothes were still in there. "They might be a little small, but it's the best I have." She threw him a shirt and pair of pants.

MadinWonderland
08-19-2011, 08:03 PM
Raeralrin watched her for a moment, brown eyes watching her every movement. She's lying about me. I could hear them from the kitchen. It doesn't seem like she realizes that yet. Alright, I'll play along.
He looked down at the clothes and stared at them for a minute.
"How... how do I wear these?" Turning toward her, he held them up, truly unsure of how to wear the strange fabric.

Ashen
08-19-2011, 09:14 PM
Kadey stared at Rae, baffled. "I'm sorry? You don't know how to..."
She stared at his clothes. Well, she thought, I suppose he would not know how to put them on. Kadey grabbed the shirt, a checkered T, and demonstarted putting it on. "You just stick your head through this hole," she said pointing, "and your arms through these." She moved to the jeans. "And then you just put either leg in a hole. But make sure the zipper is in the front."
Kadey couldn't help but smile. She had just taught someone who was older than her how to apply clothing. She laughed to herself. "I'll just leave you to get dressed then." She walked out and closed the door behind her.

MadinWonderland
08-20-2011, 05:23 AM
Raeralrin studied the articles of clothing for a bit more than tried to do as Kadey said. The pants went on easily, since they're pretty much self-explanatory. The shirt, however, was giving him problems. "Kadey, is this how it is to be worn?"
He got the jeans right, but they looked a bit low since he was so much taller than her father must have been. Despite his good luck on putting on the pants, he looked extremely ridiculous with his head through the armhole of the shirt and his arms through the armhole and head-hole.

Ashen
08-20-2011, 03:02 PM
Kadey heard Rae's call and walked back into the room. The first thing she noticed was his shirt put on wrong. She looked at his jeans, which weren't too bad. Kadey giggled. "Let me help you with that," she said, approaching him. She tugged the shirt off and adjusted it. "The big hole is for your head," she explained. She pulled it down so that his head was popping out. "Now stick your right arm through this hole," Kadey coached, pointing to the hole on his right, "and left through left."
She stood back and stared at Rae in her father's clothes. They were way too small, even though Papa was a tall man. Still, they'd have to do. Kadey couldn't go into the market and buy clothes for Rae-Where would she get the money? She wondered what would happen when Rae had worn all of her father's clothes. Would he even be here that long? And what would happen if Mama found her husband's clothes in the wash? Kadey didn't want to think of that.

MadinWonderland
08-20-2011, 03:21 PM
"Thank you." Raeralri stared down at himself. He felt, confined and restricted in these new clothes. The hole that went around his neck felt like it was choking him and he tugged on it. The fabric felt heavy and itchy, tight everywhere. Oh how he wished to be back in his old silk clothes. How can humans wear these everyday?
"Are these... necessary?" Looking down at her, he gave her an almost pleading glance. "I feel... restricted."

Ashen
08-20-2011, 04:09 PM
Kadey stared with a frown on her face. "Well I guess you can take the shirt off. But please leave your pants on."
Kadey thought for a second. "Perhaps we can find you some clothes at the market," she thought aloud. Kadey knew where her mother kept the money. All she had to do was steal just a few coins or so.
She looked back up. "Do all of you wear that silk thing on your planet?" It seemed a bit plain and strange in Kadey's opinion but she looked at her own dress. It probably looked bizarre to Rae.

MadinWonderland
08-20-2011, 04:26 PM
"Yes, but the quality of our cloth and the color depend on one's status within our cities." Raeralrin explained as he clumsily pulled the shirt off. "The shoulder cloth and belt is the key to understanding one's social status. The more you wear and the richer the color, the higher up you go."
He picked up his shoulder cloth and draped it around his shoulders. Raeralrin stood there with his cloth belt in hand. "And you humans? How do you represent one's social status?"

Ashen
08-20-2011, 04:37 PM
"Oh," Kadey said, not exactly a response. "Well, it really depends where you live. In the city the educated people wear suits and talk...like you. Out here we pretty much all look the same. No one is above another. At least that's what we tell ourselves."
Kadey studied Rae's cloth. "What would your rank be?" She tried guessing but didn't want to offend him. "Are you part of the monarchs?" she assumed. "Are there even monarchs?" Kadey's brown eyes were yearning for information on this new, strange place. She wanted to learn everything about it, but at the same time she didn't want to make Rae uncomfortable.

MadinWonderland
08-20-2011, 05:01 PM
"In a way, I guess the best way to describe it would be that we are a monarchy. Our system is a bit different but for a human, it would be hard to understand." Raeralrin ignored the question of his status. There would be no way he'd reveal personal information about himself. He wrapped his belt around his waist, leaving the waist cloth on the bed.
"Well, I am done dressing. Is there anything you'd like me to do for you today?"

Ashen
08-20-2011, 05:19 PM
Kadey thought of what her mother had told her. "You can help me harvest the corn," she said. "It's really easy, you just have to check the leaves to see if the corn is ready for harvest. Come on." Kadey walked out of the room and down the stairs. She walked to the shed where she picked up a basket. She then went back to the house. "The corn is this way," she said, pointing to the tall grasses. "It's really a great income source. People in the town love our corn." She walked up to the stalks. She touched the leaves of one. It was dead. Kadey smiled. It was perfect material to burn.
"This one is dead, so we have to remove it." She took the scissors from the basket and cut the stalk. "Now this one," she said, pointing to an ear of corn, "is perfectly ripe."

MadinWonderland
08-20-2011, 05:29 PM
"And corn is good to eat?" Raeralrin stared at the golden food, unsure of its edibility. "It's not created from Manna, how do you get nutrients from it? How is it alive?"
Everything was new to him, it seemed like nothing was the same as it was in Silas. All these questions kept popping up in his head, as he followed her instructions. Does everyone harvest these things? Are there other plants that don't exist with Manna? Does nothing have Manna on Makai? The questions wouldn't stop.

Ashen
08-20-2011, 05:42 PM
"Nothing here has Manna," Kadey explained. She plucked the leaves from the corn and showed it to Rae. "You see the yellow grains lining the cob? We eat those. They are rich in Vitamin C. We also use them to feed the animals."
Kadey felt like she was explaining food to a two-year-old. Still, it made her smile.
"How is it alive," she repeated. "That's like asking how you're live; how I am alive. The corn just comes from the ground. You water it, and it grows. It's quite simple, really."
"Corn always has an odd number of rows of grain," Kadey said, recalling this useless fact that she had read once. "No one really knows why." She smiled thinking of these small mysteries that amused her.

MadinWonderland
08-21-2011, 04:45 AM
Raeralrin stared at the grain. "No Manna? Anywhere? No wonder you humans lost the war."
Shaking his head he looked up into the sky. "This world is so much stranger than my own... Nothing makes sense here."
He held up the corn. "The food doesn't."
He gestured to his jeans. "The clothes don't."
Once again he stared back up into the sky. "Why am I here?..."

Ashen
08-21-2011, 04:59 AM
Kadey stared quizzically at Rae. What war?
"It's all what I'm used to. I'm sure your customs would appear strange to me as well. Now enough about my silly customs. Harvest corn."
She reached high above her and plucked another ear. As she put it in the basket she saw the dead stalk. She wanted to grab it and run away with it. She wanted to drench it in gasoline and see how high it could soar.
"We're done here," Kadey said even though there were multiple stalks left. "Let's go home."
She grabbed the heavy basket and started to walk back home. "That's all I need from you today," she informed. "Thank you."

MadinWonderland
08-21-2011, 05:06 AM
Raeralrin plucked the basket it from her hands, carrying it easily with one hand. "On Silas, it is rude to allow a woman work harder than a man."
Giving her a small smile he said, "Even though you are a human, you are still a woman."
Then, with a frown, he looked back. "Besides, are we done? There are still many stalks left to do."

Ashen
08-21-2011, 05:20 AM
Kadey smiled at Rae's attempt to be nice. Still, it didn't make much difference since she had been hauling baskets like those for her whole life. Kadey looked back at the stalks. "Well," she said, pretending to think, "those still need a day or two. We only pick our corn when it is the very best." She gave a smile, wondering if he could read past her lies.
She walked back to the house. "You can put the corn in the kitchen," she said. "I'm sure Mama will take it from there."

MadinWonderland
08-21-2011, 05:24 AM
More lies? How long can she keep this up? Should I tell her?
"Does your mother do everything else around your home?" Raeralrin looked around, setting the basket of corn on the counter. "Where is she anyway? I have yet to even be able to say hello to her."
His milky brown eyes locked into her. "Do you not want me to meet her?"

Ashen
08-21-2011, 02:59 PM
"Mama is busy," Kadey said, slightly annoyed. "And well, yes, she does do a lot around here. After all, it is her farm."
Technically, it was her Papa's farm, but that didn't really matter anymore. "You can meet her.. tomorrow," Kadey reasoned. She figured she'd talk to Mama tonight and see what she'd say to a random man coming to stay with them. She probably wouldn't like it, but Rae was no fool.
"Well," she said dismissively, "I'm off to the field. I need to attend to a few things. Be sure to make yourself at home."
Kadey walked out of the house, clutching the dead stalk. She creeped to the shed and pulled out the gasoline. This, she thought, is gonna soar.

MadinWonderland
08-21-2011, 03:09 PM
Raeralrin watched her leave, a small frown on his face. There is something wrong with that girl.
After resisting the urge to follow her, he decided to walk around the farm in search of her mother. It annoyed him that Kadey would just leave him alone in her home. Humans trust too easily. I am a stranger that fell from the sky and she'd just leave me here?
He stepped out the backdoor, searching the surrounding area, looking for landmarks. Wouldn't want to get lost.

Ashen
08-21-2011, 04:05 PM
Kadey stared at the embers rising before her. "Just a little higher," she willed, adding just a bit of gasoline. The flame danced around Kadey's pit until it was her height. "It's beautiful," she sighed, her eyes filling with tears from the smoke. "Beautiful."

Kadey's mother walked into her home. She saw the basket of corn and sighed. "This is not where it belongs," she sighed and dropped the laundry she had been carrying. After the corn was readied, she opened the refridgerator. "Kadey," she sighed under her breath, looking at the milk that had yet to be pasteurized. There's something wrong with her, she thought to herself, but the only explanation was one she didn't want to admit.
She put the laundry away and noticed her husband's door was ajar. Alarmed, she stepped in. "Eli?" she called in a small voice. When she found the room to be empty, she closed the door and headed towards that chickens. And then she saw someone.
Or, something.

MadinWonderland
08-21-2011, 04:21 PM
What are these strange creatures?... Raeralrin stared at the small feathered birds, amazed. They walked around, pecked the ground and then kept walking, all while making a strange clucking sound.
Crouching down he held his hand out. "Here strange bird, come here." He said quietly in his language. "Ocell estrany aquí, vine aquí."

Ashen
08-21-2011, 05:36 PM
Her eyes wide, she crept to the chicken coop. She peered inside where a strange thing was crouching by her precious chickens. "Who are you?" she said, startling one of the chickens near the door. "And what are you doing on my farm?"
She smoothed her dress and with her eyes examined him. "What are you? Why are you..."
She thought back to her days in school. "What's this?" she had asked her teacher.
"That's an elf," Mr. M had replied.
"He's so big... And glowing..."
Now, she stared back at what looked like an elf in her coop. She screamed, terrified, and ran.

MadinWonderland
08-21-2011, 08:25 PM
"Who are you and what are you doing on my farm?" The woman's voice tore Raeralin's attention from the bird to her. Looking like an older Kadey, he assumed that this woman was her mother.
"What are you? why are you?..." He opened his mouth to answer these questions but was interrupted by her scream. Watching as she ran, he sighed. So Kadey WAS lying to her own mother... great.
"Please wait!" Easily he caught up to her, grabbing her hand, trying to stop her. "I will not hurt you, I'm a pacifist."

Ashen
08-21-2011, 08:48 PM
Her eyes grew larger as she felt a touch on her arm. "W-what? Unhand me!" She struggled but years of hard labour was no match for this muscular elf. "You're an elf," she whispered. "Let go!"

Kadey alerted, hearing her mother's scream. Assuming her mother had cut herself on the farm she ran. Kadey turned around to the flame that was now larger than her. "Oh," she said, her cheeks burning. She needed to find water, but she needed to help her mother. Forgeting the fire, she darted towards her mother. "Mama!" she screeched. Kadey ran towards the chicken coop and past it. She saw Rae's hands covering her mother's arm.
"No!" she screeched. "Let go!" She hugged her mother close. "Not this way," she cried. "Not this way."

MadinWonderland
08-21-2011, 08:51 PM
Raeralrin was confused. Why did everyone assume he was going to hurt her? Then he saw the fire. It was growing quickly, the result of a slightly dry season. It would soon engulf the farm. Kadey's farm... Bennie and the other cows... these birds... All this life would be destroyed...
Leaving the two women, he dashed towards the flames, the lines on his body glowing brighter as he ran straight into the flames.

Ashen
08-21-2011, 09:05 PM
Kadey's mother dissolved into a puddle on the floor. "Mama, I'm so sorry," Kadey tried.
Her mother's eyes were pinched tight. The scene was all too familiar.
"Helena!"
"What is it Eli?"
"Where's the axe?"
"What?" Helena stared at her husband, her eyes shining. "Why do you need an axe?"
"Because this bastard keeps criticizing everything I do and he deserves to go to hell."
"Eli, have you been drinking today?"
"Where's the axe, dammit?!"
Helena startled. "Eli, you need to calm-"
Eli smashed his wife against a wall. His hands were wrapped tightly around her arms. "Where's the fucking axe?!"
Tears streaming down her cheeks, Helena sobbed, "It's under the thirteenth floorboard in the shed." Thriteenth. Eli's birthday.
Eli released Helena and ran to the shed, leaving a crying wife behind, and a three-year-old daughter that saw it all.
Kadey stared in horror as her fire moved to the corn stalks. "No!" She said, rising. She ran towards the fire but she couldn't stop it. No one could tame a fire. She had been trying for years.

MadinWonderland
08-21-2011, 09:27 PM
Focus. The fire was hot, hotter than he's ever felt, it singed his skin and stung his eyes.
Breathe. The air was dry and suffocating, the smoke filling his lungs with every breath.
Relax. Raeralrin stopped moving and relaxed his muscles, stopped caring about the pain. It was time.
From the center of the fire, a bluish white light grew, enveloping the searing flames. For a moment, the fire fought, trying to get away from the cooling light but soon there was nothing but the light. It felt refreshing like a cold breath of wind as it traveled upward, taking the fire it contained with it. Once out of the reach of the simple farm, the white light disappeared, leaving the fire to die out without fuel, in the air. In an instant the fire dispersed, leaving a few burnt stalks of corn and an area of charred ground. In the center of the black mess, there he stood. The lines on his skin were dim and his eyes hung half open. His skin was burnt in several places but no other damage was done.
The farm was saved.

Ashen
08-21-2011, 09:48 PM
Kadey ran up to Rae. She fell to her knees, seeing as how he had tamed the fire. "How?" she whispered.
Her mother ran up to her. She held her daughter close as she stared at the brunt corn. "Kadey," she said sadly. "Kadey, what did you do?"
Kadey turned to Rae, faint streams of tears on her cheeks. "Mama," she said, "this is Rae. Raerelrin I think."
Kadey's mom stared at him. "He is an elf," the only words she could spit out.

MadinWonderland
08-21-2011, 09:53 PM
"I apologize for scaring you, ma'am. I am no threat to you or your daughter. My people have sworn off violence for thousands of years, since before the humans and elves first met. I am not sure how or why I'm on this planet but your daughter brought me to your home and took care of me. I apologize that I didn't approach you before but it seemed like Kadey didn't want me to to meet you." He knelt down to one knee, bowing his head. "I am grateful for your hospitality, whether it was agreed upon or not. I apologize for any trouble I may have caused and if you wish for me to leave, I shall."
Raeralrin looked up at her, tired and burnt. "Please forgive me for startling you."

Ashen
08-21-2011, 10:36 PM
"Mama," Kadey said. "I was going to tell you tonight, honest. Rae just looked like he needed a shelter of sorts and I figured Papa's room was-"
"You went into his room," Helena confirmed.
"Well yes," Kadey said simply.
"We'll deal with this later, Kadey." She turned to Rae. "Mr. Rae? I apologize for my daughter. She isn't entirely developed. Her mind doesn't work as fast and-"
"Mama," Kadey pleaded.
"Go to your room," she instructed. Kadey, defeated, turned to go to her home.
"Now Rae, I have to thank you for saving my farm. I-I don't know how this fire started, but at least it did not take my home. But, an elf... What is an elf doing on Makai? I'm terribly confused..."
Shep walked up to Helena, making her feel more calm. Shep would protect her.

MadinWonderland
08-22-2011, 05:10 AM
"My name is Raeralrin, but Rae is fine. In all honesty, Ma'am, I'm not sure what I'm doing here as well. I came to under a large pile of dirt and rocks to find myself on this planet." Raeralrin said slowly, still confused about it as well. "Kadey found me after I dug myself out. She brought me here after finding me and has taken care of me since."
Raeralrin stared off towards where Kadey left. "If it wasn't for her, most likely someone else would have found me and killed me. She is my savior."

Ashen
08-23-2011, 12:25 AM
She is my savoir.
"Charmed, Rae. You may call me Helena, or Lea if it is easy for you." Helena couldn't help but stare at his strange colour of skin. She held her hand up. It was a pale white overworked hand. She looked at Rae's hand, which was a colour she couldn't even name."
"You saved my farm. If you hadn't, I would have had nowhere to go and no source of income. My daughter and I would have had to..." She stopped herself. Sighing, she said, "You're welcome to stay in my home for as long as you need."
Shep sniffed at Rae for another time. Helena pet him, soothing the dog. "I assume you've been using...his room. You may continue."
Helena turned and walked to her house. She needed to talk some sense into her daughter.

MadinWonderland
08-23-2011, 04:50 AM
"Ma'am, if I may as to be so bold, is there anyway I could not sleep in that room?" Raeralrin stood slowly, the fatigue making everything blur for a moment. "It seems to cause discomfort, and I do not wish for that. Anywhere else is fine for me to sleep."
Once again he grabbed onto her arm, but gentler this time. "I don't want you to be scared of me. I have no intention of causing you, or your daughter, harm and I shall do whatever I can to prove it."

Ashen
08-23-2011, 02:22 PM
Helena grew still as the elf grabbed her by the arm. Still, the scene that had occured thirteen years ago shoved at the back of her mind and she had to struggle to keep her tears. "That's the only bedroom we've got," she said sadly. "Otherwise you have the couch in our living room."
Shep licked Helena's hand and only then did she realise it was molded into a fist.

MadinWonderland
08-23-2011, 05:04 PM
"I shall sleep there then..." Raeralrin noticed her discomfort and backed up, releasing her arm. "I'm sorry... I will keep my distance from now on if it makes you more comfortable..."
What happened to this human to make her so scared?
It was then that everything swam before him. Helena's beautiful, yet emotionally scarred face was suddenly up above him, his body had fallen to the ground on it's on free will.
What's this? I did not use that much Manna.. This shouldn't have that much of a kick. Is it because I'm on Makai?

Ashen
08-23-2011, 08:04 PM
Helena stared down at Rae, now on the floor. "Rae," she said, kneeling down beside him. "Are you alright?" Shep growled at Rae. "Shep," Helena said quickly. "Get the baby."
Shep wagged his tail and ran to the house. He came back with Kadey following. "Mama?" she said, worried. Kadey saw Rae on the ground. "Rae? Mama what did you do?"
"He fell," Helena explained, "probably from exhaustion. Help me bring him to the living room."
"Mama, he's maybe two-hundred pounds!"
"Which is exactly why I need your help."

Kadey sat on the floor below Rae with a steaming bowl of soup. She looked up at the couch where he lay. "What happened?"

MadinWonderland
08-23-2011, 08:19 PM
Rae stared down at her, his milky eyes watching her with a tired look. "I apologize, I did not mean to become this much of a hassle..." He took a deep breath, the Manna lines glowing with each intake then fading slightly when he exhaled. "In simple words; Manna is my life. I am created from the Manna. When I use it, I'm using my life energy. Normally something like that would have been no problem, but I'm not used to Makai, so everything is that much harder and has more of an effect.."

Ashen
08-23-2011, 08:33 PM
Kadey stood and held out the bowl. "Then eat," she insisted. "Soup may not be made of Manna but it sure can work wonders. Trust me." She smiled at him.
Shep circled in the corner of the room before laying down. He yawned loudly. After giving the bowl to Rae, Kadey walked over to Shep. "Good boy," she murmured.
She turned back to Rae. "What happens when you use this Manna up?" she asked. "You won't... will you?" She cocked her head, suddenly worried. "You just got here."

MadinWonderland
08-23-2011, 08:38 PM
What if I run out? There is no Manna here... I cannot get it back... "I'd... die..." The thought hit Raeralrin like a hammer, his eyes grew wide and his breath stopped for a moment. His heart raced, his thoughts swam. STOP IT! He forced himself to stop panicking and breath. There is no use panicking, it won't change anything. I just need to think this through and until then... no Manna.

Ashen
08-23-2011, 11:20 PM
Kadey stared at Rae. Surely she had heard him wrong. As Shep gave a soft snore she stared down at her own fingers. "Maybe there is Manna somewhere on Makai," she suggested. "Maybe we can find it, both of us together. How about it?"
"Kadey," her mother called.
Apologizing, Kadey said, "Hold that thought." She raced into the kitchen where her mother sat next to a bucket of milk, pasteurized. "I see you got the milk pasteurized," Kadey said in a small voice.
"Because you did not. Kadey how did that fire start?"
Kadey stared wide-eyed at her mother. She knows. "I haven't a clue."
"What were you thinking, Kadey? You let a strange man into our house?" She kept her voice low so it would not travel through the walls.
"He needed help Mama. He's really good at helping too."
"Helping? What has he done?"
"Besides save our farm from peril?" Kadey asked. "He helped pick the corn and get that milk."
"He touched my cows?"
"Gently. Bennie likes him."
"Bennie?!"
"Mama, you're overreacting."
"Kadey you're grounded."
"But he's a good guy-"
"No. You aren't to leave the farm all month. And no television."
By television Kadey knew her mother meant the small radio they had that contained newspaper cut-outs of tragic events. It was the closest thing they had to the real thing. The radio broadcasts weren't too bad anyway.
"Yes Mama," Kadey said and headed up to her room.

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 12:03 AM
Raeralrin heard the hushed voices but could not make out what they were saying. He was too busy thinking on what Kadey said. Yes, that's exactly what needs to be done. I need to find Manna on Makai. Where would it be? Probably where Silas' rings were... Yes, I'll leave tomorrow for there.
Suddenly her voice rang through his head, Maybe we can find it, both of us together?
He closed his eyes and let out a deep sigh. I can't bring her... I'm not supposed to be getting attached to these humans... It's impossible, there's no way... but I don't know Makai. She knows more than I do..

Ashen
08-24-2011, 12:18 AM
Helena walked into her living room at stared at the creature on her furniture. "Are you feeling better?" she asked keeping her distance. "I bet this is very confusing for you. I can try to help you in anyway I can. I shall be around the farm if you need me. Kadey is in her room."
She nodded and then headed off. "Shep!" she called and the collie rose and was right by her side. "Heel."
Helena walked to the chicken coop once again. She wondered if she was too hard on her daughter. She shouldn't be bringing elves into our home, she reasoned.

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 12:24 AM
He watched Helena leave, eyes narrowed in confusion. Humans sure are two-faced. She talked to me like everything was fine but she didn't get close to me. She doesn't approve of me.
Raeralrin shook his head, not understanding humans at all.
I need to ask Kadey about what she knows. I'll bring her if she can help me. Raeralrin eat some of the soup, a small smile on his face. "Definitively better than what I ate back home." After finishing the soup, (he didn't want to seem rude and not eat it all), he closed his eyes, relaxing. Rest now. I'll figure everything out tomorrow.

Ashen
08-24-2011, 12:39 AM
Helena walked back to her house. She noticed Rae on the couch and silently walked upstairs. "Kadey?" she called.
Kadey remained silent. Helena opened the door and stepped into Kadey's room. She sat down on her bed. "Kadey, did you go-"
"No." Kadey stared out her window. "No I did not."
"You don't even know what I was going to say."
"What am I supposed to do? You took away all my entertainment. I can't even go to the market. Because I helped someone. You always taught me to help those who need help."
"Kadey, help doesn't require giving shelter without your mother's content. He is an elf."
"And you are a human. Thanks for clearing that up."
"Kadey!" Helena scolded. "What has gotten into you!"
Kadey shrugged. "I'm tired," she moaned. Helena left the room slowly, walking back down the stairs. "Tired of you," Kadey finished.

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 12:47 AM
"He is an elf." Raeralin heard the words loud and clear, the crept through his mind as he tried to sleep and instantly brought him to awareness. An elf... It makes sense, I am one...
It never clicked until now, human's hate his kind. They've hated their kind all the centuries. Raeralrin frowned, sitting up, to his body's dismay. He couldn't understand it, he was brought up knowing that the human's were the ones that started the war but he was never taught to hate them... Were all humans taught to hate his kind? Did Kadey hate his kind? Did she hate him?
That thought startled him. Why did he care? He shouldn't but... it kept creeping back. He had placed himself in their care without thinking about their opinions. It was obvious her mother didn't like him but what if she did? Was he just a bother.
I shouldn't be here..
Raeralrin stood, took a moment to balance himself, and started heading towards the door.

Ashen
08-24-2011, 12:58 AM
Helena sighed at her daughter. She gathered the corn and the milk so they could be easily retrieved for shipping tomorrow. She brushed off the eggs she just collected and placed them near the milk. Knowing her daughter had not yet visited the sheep, she went to their pen and took care of them.
Kadey finally walked down the stairs. She looked to the couch to see it empty. "Rae?" she said quietly. "Rae!"
Kadey looked through her whole house but Rae had left. "No," she murmured quietly. "You were supposed to be my friend."

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 01:06 AM
Was this right thing to do? He could hear her voice from where he was, walking towards the cornstalks. It was a clear night out, the crescent moon close to a full moon as it peaked out above Silas. His body begged to allowed to rest but he wanted to be off her farm. He didn't want her in anymore trouble than he's already caused. Unable to resist the temptation, he peeked over his shoulder to gaze once more at the simple farm he was leaving behind.

Ashen
08-24-2011, 01:13 AM
Kadey ran out to the cow pens. "Maybe he's playing with Bennie," she said to herself but she doubted herself. When she got to the cows' pen she looked at every division. He wasn't here.
She ran to the corn stalks but even if he was hiding there she'd never be able to find him. Even with half the field charred there was way too much grass.
Kadey fell to her knees. "No," she said sadly. "Please no."

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 01:17 AM
Guilt. All he could feel a was large sense of guilt as he watched Kadey run from place to place, searching for him. Then she fell to her knees... He couldn't do it. At least, not without a good-bye. Slowly, unsure, he exited the cornstalks, glowing slightly in the moonlight. "Kadey?"
Since when did her name become easy to say? Since when did it come so naturally to his lips? He's only known her two days yet... Why was it so hard to part with her?

Ashen
08-24-2011, 01:31 AM
Kadey's head alerted immediately as she heard her name. Her eyes darted the fields until she saw him. Getting to her feet, she said, "Rae! I thought you..." She looked at him, not wanting to finish her sentence. "Why are you out here? I told you the corn was done for the day. And all the good corn is ash now, floating on the winds." Kadey glanced at the stars. Surely he didn't come out here to stargaze, did he?
Shrugging the idea, she stared up at the tiny dots in the night sky.

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 01:40 AM
"Kadey... I can not stay here." Raeralrin stopped a few feet in front of her. Staring down at her, he couldn't help but wonder why he wanted to stay with her. "Your mother does not wish me to be here and I keep causing you trouble. I need to leave."

Ashen
08-24-2011, 01:44 AM
"My mother," Kadey repeated slowly. "Screw my mother. I get so lonely here. My Mama is the only one I can talk to besides the animals. When I go to the town people stare at me funny because I am the plain old farm girl. You're the first person to not see me as a freak." She stopped, then asked, "You don't, do you?" Kadey tried to read Rae's expression but she was bad at just that. "You do," she said. Kadey looked up at the absence of corn in front of her. She then glanced back at her house. She started one fire, she can start another.

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 01:47 AM
The night was suddenly filled with a low, musical laughter. Raeralrin was laughing, double over in laughter. He tried to speak but he couldn't. Tears fell from his eyes as he laughed. "You're... a freak?!"

Ashen
08-24-2011, 01:52 AM
Kadey glared at Rae. Why is he laughing at me? She looked into his eyes, which were pinched shut. "I'm a pyromaniac," she blurted. "I like to start fires and watch them soar. That was the rumour that went around town last year. I cleared it up with my mother but..." Kadey looked away. "It's true. I started that fire. So yes, I am a freak."
Turning back to him, she said, "You are quite normal where you are from. I don't belong anywhere."

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 01:57 AM
"Kadey.." He said when he could breath. Wiping his eyes he gave her a small smile, taking her hand. "You think you're the freak?"
Raeralrin placed her hand on his chest, on top of the Manna lines. They were cold, not freezing cold but they chilled her. "I glow. My body is cold. I can control the elements and heal. I'm an alien. I think that is as much as a freak as one could describe."

Ashen
08-24-2011, 02:19 AM
Kadey stilled as Rae touched her. She was taught to not touch strangers and she liked the rebellious feeling she was getting. "But on you're planet...you're normal. I can't even be normal on my planet."
She stared up at Rae with big eyes. "You still aren't going to go, are you?"
Kadey thought of the next month she would have to spend in solitude if Rae left. As if staying home with her Mama wasn't bad enough, she'd probably scold her everyday for letting Rae stay in their house.

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 02:21 AM
"How do you that? How do you know that I'm not a freak where I come from?" He leaned down, face to face with her. "How do you know that I'm not just as much on my planet as you are on yours?"

Ashen
08-24-2011, 02:26 AM
Kadey thought for a second but she couldn't concentrate with Rae staring at her. It made her feel special. All of the teenage boys of the town would look away in disgust.
She stared at him, at his veins. Do they all look like he does? She had assumed so but maybe she was wrong. "Are you?" she said so quietly that she thought Rae didn't hear. Kadey cleared her throat. Then she repeated, "Are you?"

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 02:29 AM
"You'll have to find out." He pulled away and held out his hand. "I have decided, Kadey. Travel with me. I know where I must go but I don't know how to get there or what this world is like. Show me the way, lend me your help. Be my savior once again."

Ashen
08-24-2011, 02:39 AM
Kadey's eyes widened. She couldn't believe what she was hearing. "You want me..." she started. "You want me to run away with you."
The words fell from her mouth. Her mind was racing. "Oh my God Rae." Kadey backed away from him. She felt her pulse beating harder and harder. Kadey ran up to Rae and placed her arms around his waist. "Yes. Oh yes."
She embraced Rae, taking in his scent, his shape. She was hugging an extraterrestrial. Yet it felt so good.

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 02:42 AM
Touching... She was touching him, holding him. Raeralrin's face literally glowed in embarrassment, not used to being this close to anyone. "K-kadey?..."
He removed himself, hiding his face beneath his hand, which didn't help too much. "I need to rest, so we should leave tomorrow. You should tell you mother good-bye in that time."

Ashen
08-24-2011, 02:52 AM
"Right," Kadey said, backing away swiftly. She stared at Ras's face which had turned red. She imagined her face was an identical shade. "Tomorrow we can leave. When the cock crows." She turned and ran back to her home.
"Where were you?" Kadey's mother asked when she returned, pointing to a clock.
"I was examining the remaining corn," Kadey said. It wasn't a lie. It just wasn't the truth.
"Get to bed," Helena sighed before turning to the stairs and going to her own room.
Kadey skipped to her room. She went through every drawer she had. Oh what to wear?
She dressed in a nightgown that fell nearly to her knees and tried to fall asleep.

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 02:56 AM
Raeralrin really didn't want to upset her mother so he slept outside, sitting next to the porch, head leaning against the side of the house. Sleep came easily, it was the thinking part he couldn't get rid of. The feeling of her warm human body pressed against his... The happiness he saw on her face... What was he doing? By then sleep had taken over and he was cast into his dreamworld.

Ashen
08-24-2011, 03:00 AM
Kadey woke up early, thanks to her cursed overactive bladder. She crept to the bathroom and stared at herself in the mirror. Attempting to fix the knotted mop atop her head she grabbed a brush and removed every knot. He let her long brown hair flow down to her waist. Kadey then walked to her room and picked out a nice black dress. She pulled out her Mary Jane shoes and her good socks. It was her church outfit, for when her family used to go to church.
Looking at her mirror after everything was on, she smiled. She was going to a strange freak planet. Might as well look nice.

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 03:02 AM
Raeralrin woke up to something wet dripping on him. He peeked open his eyes to find himself, sitting in the middle of morning shower. It felt nice and cool, he knew it wouldn't last long so he stayed there, letting the rain fall on him. Today's the day my journey home begins...

Ashen
08-24-2011, 03:10 AM
Kadey waited at her window for Screech to let out his call. She had named the rooster a few years ago because he had been confused and screeched at random. Now, she was actually looking forward to him.
When Screech made his call Kadey ran down the stairs and of the door. "Are you ready?" she said all too exitedly. "Are you ready?"
She looked down and smoother her dress. She was surprised it still fit after so many years. Surprised, and thankful all the same.

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 03:14 AM
Raeralrin listened to the crow, curious as to what animal made that sound. Kadey's voice startled him from his pondering. Looking up at her, he saw her in black dress that accented her curves perfectly. Her hair was long and what must have been beautiful for a human. "Yes, but you're going to need a change of clothes. My waist cloth is also still upstairs. We're going to need some food and have you said good-bye to your mother yet?"

Ashen
08-24-2011, 03:18 AM
Kadey's jaw dropped though she tried to hide it. "What's wrong with my clothes?" she asked, staring at them. She looked behind her but eveything looked fine. "I can get your uh, tunic. Cloth. Thing. And yes, I said goodbye to my Mama."
Kadey offered a smile to hide the lie she had told. Stil, she kept straightening her dress and brushing off non-existent dirt. Is my best not good enough?

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 03:22 AM
"Though the dress does suit you well, it will be rather difficult to travel in it and I wouldn't want it to get ruined." He said, explaining. Raeralrin frowned, wondering how that could have upset her. It was just a dress, most women on Silas don't even bother wearing anything like that. "I should probably tell your mother good-bye as well."

Ashen
08-24-2011, 03:28 AM
"I told her goodbye for you," Kadey said sadly, still upset about her dress. She sighed. "Be right back."
She marched up the stairs and went through her drawers until she pulled out a pair of sweatpants she had gotten as hand-me-downs. Pairing it with a teal t shirt she went into her Father's room and grabbed Rae's cloth. Kadey peered into her mother's room. "Goodbye," she said quietly and ran back down the stairs.
"Here."

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 03:30 AM
Raeralrin nodded, not looking at her. Still thinking he had upset her, he didn't want to say anything else that would further cause her distress. "We need to get food."

Ashen
08-24-2011, 03:34 AM
"Food," Kadey repeated. She turned into her kitchen and hastily grabbed a backpack. She didn't want to be caught stealing food by her mother so she grabbed some fruit and a bottle of milk. She snagged two ears of corn and a can of soup. She then walked back to Rae. "Okay," she said, "are we ready to go now?" She smiled radiantly, excited. All she wanted to do was leave.

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 03:38 AM
Raeralrin looked up into the sky, taking a deep breath. He was very uncertain about this but unless he wanted to live without Manna the rest of his life, he needed to do this. There was a ton of logic behind why he wanted Kadey with him, that didn't include the previous night's embrace. He exhaled then nodded. "We should probably stop at the nearest town and get a map."

Ashen
08-24-2011, 03:52 AM
"Alright," Kadey said, nodding. "The town is to the south. That's where Mama and I buy all we need. They know me there." Kadey began walking towards the cow pens. "Once we get to the town it'd probably be best to start going southeast. That way we can get to the city fast." Kadey stopped and turned around. "Where is it that we're going, exactly?"

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 03:55 AM
"We will be going to the spot where Silas and Makai were once connected. I am unsure of what you call it here on Makai though." Raeralin explained, his millky brown eyes glowing in excitement. "I assume that that is where any remaining Manna must be. Either that or it'll have some way to get me home."

Ashen
08-24-2011, 04:02 AM
Kadey nodded as she continued to walk. "Are you able to point this place out on a map or are we just going to have to wander around until we stumble across it?"
She saw the big purple roof come into view. "Oh, that's the toy store over there," Kadey said, pointing to the roof. They sell the cutest little dolls and the best little firetrucks. Sometimes I go in there just to see the children play."
Kadey kept walking until she saw the Hubert's Hot Dog stand. With a smile on her face, her pace picked up.

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 04:06 AM
"Well that's what the map's for. It should be a decently large area." He watched her smile. Then he looked around, the human buildings were so much more bulky and out of place then what he had on Silas. The sounds of people talking and laughing were everywhere, it was loud and it made his head hurt. It smelled like filth and smoke and it made his eyes water. Human cities were disgusting. His body glowed brightly as he attempted the clear the air around him. "Where are we going?"

Ashen
08-24-2011, 04:16 AM
"We are going to town hall. Mind you I've never been there but it isn't far from the marketplace." Kadey inhaled deeply. "Doesn't it smell wonderful?" she asked. "You can smell the steak and the pork, but at the same time you can smell the flowers. It's wonderful."
She kept walking on, ignoring the occasional stare she would get. For once in her life, she knew they weren't staring at her. "Now town hall would be about two miles away or so. It might take a while." Kadey dug her hands in her pockets. She didn't have money for transportation. With a sigh she held her head high and walked on.

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 04:20 AM
Raeralrin glanced around, all the humans kept staring at him. He suddenly felt very self-conscious about his skin, no one else walked around without something covering their chests... Of course, no one else had glowing lines of Manna all over there body. "In which direction is this town hall? I can get us there quickly."

Ashen
08-24-2011, 04:32 AM
"Oh really?" Kadey asked. "But won't that use your Manna source?"
Kadey didn't want to be responsible for Rae's dead body, but she told him anyway. "It's south."
She turned to him slowly. "I don't think it will be wise to use your Manna when unnecessary. You need that too much."
The sun was only starting to rise. Kadey wondered how long she's be out with Rae. How long she'd be away from her mother.
How long Rae could last.

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 04:33 AM
Chuckling he stopped her from walking. "I'm not going to use Manna." He crouched down, and then stared at her. "Get on my back. I'll run."

Ashen
08-24-2011, 04:40 AM
Kadey stared at Rae like he had three heads. "I'm sorry?" She stared at him, waiting for him to say he was kidding. He didn't.
"I, I don't know. I mean, it's not like I'm thirty pounds. Can you-"
Kadey stopped herself. Rae could probably lift her and her mother. "Okay," she said and stood behind him. She hesitated before wrapping her arms around his neck. It reminded her of her father, when he had cared enough to give her piggy-back rides. Inhaling deeply, she said, "Ready."

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 04:45 AM
"Alright." Raeralrin was up and moving in a few seconds, whizzing by the stores in the market place. It felt nice to move and stretch like this. "On Silas, everyone gets around by running. It's better for the environment. Royalty often has someone carry them, and if they are hosting guests, they carry their guests. Everyone is used to doing this."

Ashen
08-24-2011, 04:52 AM
Kadey looked on at the colours that blurred past her. "Don't you have cars? At least vehicles?" Her knees gripped Rae's sides and she worried she was hurting him. She hadn't been carried like this for years.
Kadey stared at the faces of the people they passed. "Is he kidnapping her?" one woman asked her plump friend.
"She looks content," the big woman replied. As they stared at her, Kadey offered a smile.
Kadey lay against Rae's neck. The wind was blowing her hair all over. She felt free.

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 04:57 AM
"Car? Vehicle? I don't recognize those words." He shook his head, listening to the sound of her breathing. Her warm breath against his neck felt soothing. Raeralrin frowned, he was getting addicted to her warmth. "Why do they think I'd be kidnapping you?"

Ashen
08-24-2011, 05:11 AM
Kadey held on to Rae like a koala. "Because it's not everyday you see a man running away with a teenager on his back," Kadey replied. A yawn escaped her mouth. She realised she was growing too attached to Rae. Once he goes back to his home planet she'd never see him again.
Kadey decided not to bring it up. Not yet. Instead, she said, "Can you say something in your language? It sounds so...different."

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 05:13 AM
"Well I guess in your world, it would be strange." Raeralrin heard her yawn and frowned. "Are you tired? Should I stop?"
Something in his language? What could he say... "What would you like me to say?"

Ashen
08-24-2011, 05:17 AM
Kadey straightened. "Oh no, I'm fine." She leaned back into place and let her hair fall onto Rae's shoulders. "How do you say thank you?" she asked.
Kadey smiled as town hall came into view. "There it is," she sighed happily.

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 05:20 AM
"Argrair vostè." He said, the musical language easily slipping through his lips. His body shivered at the feel of her hair. Raeralrin looked up at the building. "That is a town hall?"

Ashen
08-24-2011, 05:25 AM
"Argrair vostè," Kadey whispered. The words felt strange coming from her mouth. She looked up and said, "Yes, that is a city hall. Although the ones in bigger cities are much more extravagant." Kadey lightly dug her heels into Rae, only to remember she wasn't on a horse. Her face colouring, she jumped down. "Let's go get a map."

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 05:30 AM
Raeralrin rubbed his hips, unsure of what she just did. He shook his head and followed her, choosing to ignore it.
"And some directions," he added. He replayed her voice saying thank you in his mind. Chuckling, he looked down at her. "Is that how I sound speaking the human language?"

Ashen
08-24-2011, 05:36 AM
As she walked through the door Kadey asked, "Sound like what? Did I ruin your language?" Realizing what she had just insinuated, she turned and said, "No, you speak our language well. A little old fashioned, but fine all the same." Kadey walked up the counter and reached for a folded up map. "Here we go," she said happily. "And we are..." She pointed on he map. "Here."

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 05:40 AM
Raeralrin frowned, unsure of what to think about that at this point. "You said it fine for a human."
He felt uncomfortable here, everyone looked so serious. "Kadey? Does everyone know about my kind?..."

Ashen
08-24-2011, 05:46 AM
Kadey stared at the blue and white coursing through Rae's body. "I'm not really sure," she admitted. She had moved to a farm with a first grader's knowledge and couldn't remember much of that grade. Since being homeschooled, she hadn't heard much about elves.
"Point out where we're going on the map. I can ask for directions."

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 05:49 AM
Raeralrin's eyes gazed over the map, searching. It wasn't hard to find, it was huge. There was a long black gash across the paper. From where they were, it'd be a couple weeks traveling to get there. "That's where we need to go." He pointed toward the chasm. "It is there I shall get my answers."

Ashen
08-24-2011, 05:58 AM
Kadey's eyes swept the map. They stared at the tiny picture of town hall. Then they moved to where Rae had pointed. "It's so far," Kadey said sadly. Suddenly all the food she packed didn't seem like enough.
"How am I to get directions? It will take forever to get there even by automobile." She thought for a second. Kadey didn't know how to drive, but maybe Rae could learn.
This idea cancelled when she thought of a car's price.

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 06:01 AM
"If you do not wish to come, I can escort you home." Raeralrin said in a low voice, really not wanting her to leave. "I will be walking, it will take a while but I'm not worried. If I don't do this, I will die."

Ashen
08-24-2011, 06:13 AM
Kadey frowned. Of course she didn't want to go home. She was upset Rae would even suggest that.
"I shall come. After all, it may be fun." She offered a smile but on the inside she was wrecked with worry. What if we can't make it in time? What if we run out of food? What happens when we get there?
"We will need to walk quite a bit. I'm used to walking a lot. Mama never believed in getting a car. And I assume you are used to walking." She smiled. "This will be fun."

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 04:26 PM
I upset her... again... Raeralrin frowned, this was happening quite often. Humans are quite emotional about everything, aren't they? Looking down at her he could see the smile, he could also see the small details showing that smile wasn't too real. The sides of her lips twitched, the smile was forced, either that or she has quite a difficult time smiling.
Sighing, he nodded. "Shall we head for the city then? Would you like to walk or me to run?"

Ashen
08-24-2011, 04:34 PM
"I can walk," Kadey said. She stared out at the sun. Judging by it's position in the sky Kadey assumed it was seven o'clock. This was usually the time the cows were fed.
Kadey looked back at Rae. "So now we are to go southeast until we hit the city. It won't be long before we get there. Once there, which way should we go?" She peered at her map. "This route," she said, tracing a line with her finger, "and this route," she said, pointing to a similar line, "would probably be the same distance."

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 04:44 PM
"Is the river connecting the two somewhere? We could travel by boat." Looking at the map, Raeralrin couldn't tell the difference between roads and highway and what not. It looked like just a bunch of squiggly lines. "It'd probably be faster if we went by boat."

Ashen
08-24-2011, 04:48 PM
"And I suppose you can just snap your fingers and a boat will appear," Kadey said sarcastically. "We don't have money for a boat. We're forced to go by foot."
Still, she stared at the map. The river was probably the fastest way to go. Maybe we can find an unattended one, Kadey thought to herself.
Yeah, and then will get picked up by unicorns. Kadey sighed, figuring the chances for each were about the same.

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 04:56 PM
"I can't snap my fingers to make a boat appear..." Raeralrin said in a confused manner, he didn't understand sarcasm. "That's impossible. We could just make one, that wouldn't be too hard."
Raeralrin nodded, there had to be plenty of trees where the river was. He'll just make one out of those, it wouldn't take too much Manna. It's just a boat...

Ashen
08-24-2011, 05:01 PM
Kadey stared at Rae, expressionless. "Make a boat?" she said. "What is this, Snow White and the Seven-"
No, Kadey realised. Rae wasn't a dwarf. But he was an elf with Manna coursing through his body. "Okay, how do we make this boat?"
She stared down at her hands. They had woven a basket, but never made something as big as a boat.

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 05:06 PM
"We just need a tree." Raeralrin shrugged, it wasn't going to be elaborate but a boat was a boat. "We should figure out the rest when we get there."
She doesn't believe in much, does she?
"Shall we get going then? I'd prefer not to stay in this town any longer than we'd have to."

Ashen
08-24-2011, 05:10 PM
Kadey nodded and started walking. Her mind was filled with every image she could manage of Manna; whether it was from a book or from her imagination she really couldn't say. All she knew was that she was walking beside someone who could do anything.
"There," she said after about a ten minute walk. "There's the river." Her eyes scanned the area. "And there is a pine."

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 05:20 PM
The pine was tall and wide, perfect for making a simple boat.
"This will do," Raeralrin nodded, putting his hands on the tree. His skin began to grow brighter as he focused. "You should step back."
Focus.Raeralrin felt the rough bark under his palms, the very essence of the tree's life beneath him.
Breathe.With each intake of breath the Manna grew brighter, leaving the area in a cold chill.
Relax. There was nothing but the wind blowing through his golden hair, his mind and body were at ease.

Ashen
08-24-2011, 05:26 PM
Kadey watched Rae from a distance. She stared at the tree which began to glow. Rae had a similar glow to him and it made her smile.
She stared up at the tree. She had forgotten how to tell the age of a tree-something with rings and years-but judging by the height of the tree it looked to be about a thousand years old.
She stared on, waiting for Rae to work his magic.

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 05:32 PM
With a loud crack, the tree began to tilt to the side, the roots literally ripping out of the ground. As it fell, the pine changed shaped. For a few minutes the light was too blinding to see what was going on, and then it lifted. There was a boat. It was built like a canoe, but much wider and sturdy. The pattern of leaves decorated the sides, and the two oars were built with the braided branches. Engraved on the side of the boat was Kadey's name, etched in beautiful glossy handwriting.
Raeralrin stood next to it, breathing heavily. "Here it is."

Ashen
08-24-2011, 05:43 PM
Kadey shielded her eyes with her arm as a blinding light emerged from Rae. When she heard his voice, she looked up slowly until she saw a beautifully handcrafted boat. She ran up to it and allowed her fingers to trace all of the engravings. "This is wonderful," she said, still not believing her eyes.
She stared at her name, the glazed letters standing out. Kadey had never seen anything so beautiful in her life. She stood and peered inside. "Let's test it."

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 05:46 PM
"Is it really okay? I didn't snap my fingers and make it appear but it's still here right?" He looked at her unsure. Raeralrin stepped behind the boat and began pushing it into the water. When it was half way in he stopped. "I shall help you get in."

Ashen
08-24-2011, 05:54 PM
"It was sarcasm," Kadey explained. "No one can snap their fingers and make a- Wait, let me rephrase. No normal person can snap their fingers and make a boat appear."
Staring directly at Rae, she said, "This is beautiful."
She stepped toward the boat. "That's okay," she said, placing a foot in the canoe, "I got it."
When she sat down she stared at the water around her. When was the last time she had been in water? She cupped her hands and scooped some water out of the river. Her eyes stared, amazed. One of the only things that can actually tame fire runs away when you touch it. Kadey smiled. If was amazing how the world worked.

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 05:59 PM
"I could if I wasn't on this planet." He said quietly, watching her. Easily shoving the boat into the water, he hopped in and picked up the oars. "In which direction shall I be rowing?"

Ashen
08-24-2011, 06:06 PM
Kadey sighed. This couldn't get better.
"We're going south, so turn the boat around and head that way." When she looked up she noticed the clouds were a dark grey. "Oh," she said sadly, "it's going to rain." Kadey turned to Rae. "Do you want to get to the city and find some shelter? Or do you just want to keep going? Either is fine; rain is only water."

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 06:08 PM
Raeralrin stared up into the sky, the dark clouds were menacing. Much different from the rain clouds he had on Silas.
"I love the rain," He said slowly, thinking about it. "But it wouldn't be good if you were to get sick from the cold."

Ashen
08-24-2011, 06:13 PM
Kadey let her eyes examine every cloud before replying, "Don't worry about me; my immune system is wonderful. I haven't gotten sick in years." A raindrop landed on her nose. "Rain is a blessing for farmers. It means we don't have to water crops; we don't have to keep an eye on all the animals in the field because they'd all be inside; plus the cool air it brings is paradise."
Another raindrop dripped down her face and it made it look like she was crying. Kadey wiped the fake tear away and looked at Rae. "Is your rain the same as ours?"

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 06:18 PM
Raeralrin closed his eyes, going over all his memories of rain. It was never something he never needed, but wanted. The rain brought all the people inside, all the noises were gone. It was nothing but peaceful serenity.
"Our rain is gentle, it never changes and it only lasts for a few minutes. Here on Makai the weather is always changing, so I guess it isn't quite the same thing." Raeralin looked at her, a small smile on his face as the rain began to fall more seriously. When the water hit his skin it lit up, releasing small beams of light everywhere. "I love the rain."

Ashen
08-24-2011, 06:24 PM
Her brown eyes stared at his skin, which had changed once again. She looked up at the clouds, ignoring the drops that would fall into her eyes. She had always assumed, up until second grade, that the rain was someone in the clouds crying. The thunder had been the screams they would give and the lightning would sometimes be the pretty light that uplifted their spirits.
Look Mama, she had said once. The clouds want to cry with you. You don't have to hide your tears anymore.
"What do you see the rain as?" Kadey asked. "I always thought it was tears."

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 06:29 PM
"See it as?" Raeralrin frowned, confused. "What do you mean? Rain is rain. What else could it be?"
Kadey always asked such strange questions.. Was it because she was human? Did all human's question everything? It seemed plausable, maybe that's why they started the war... They questioned why we had Manna and they didn't? Humans were so confusing...

Ashen
08-24-2011, 06:37 PM
Kadey sat a little straighter. Maybe she should stop bothering him with her strange questions. Rain is rain, she repeated in her head. But she knew better than to take things only as they looked.
"So once we get to the city," Kadey said, breaking the silence, "We'll need to go to this rock thing." She was above the map to prevent it from getting wet. "And after that, it's a long walk to this lake." Her fingers ran down the paths of the map as they bended and twisted in different directions. They looked like a spider web in a way.
Rain drenched her clothes and Kadey let out a sigh. Why had she not packed extra clothes? "Are you hungry?" she asked, clutching her back.

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 06:41 PM
Raeralrin watched her, the rain soaking her clothes easily. In one fluid motion he pulled off his shoulder wrap and wrapped it around her. The fabric was warm and dry. "If you get too wet, you'll get cold."
With a small smile, he shook his head and leaned against the side of the canoe. "I am not hungry, but thank you for your concern."

Ashen
08-24-2011, 06:47 PM
Kadey snuggled into the cloth Rae had given her. "But what about you?" she asked with concern. "What if you get too sick and wet? I think it'd be safer for me to get sick. If you do who knows what'll happen. You aren't home."
Leaning back slightly, Kadey felt her eyes begin to drift. Rain had always made her sleepy. She yawned quietly. Trying to stay awake, she allowed the rain to pelt her face.

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 06:50 PM
"I don't get cold." He shrugged. Seeing that yawn made him worry. "Maybe you should take a nap? I'll stay awake."
They get tired easily and sick easily. That's what they told me in school, they throw themselves into whatever they are doing and lose energy quickly.
"You shouldn't push yourself too much, it's unhealthy."

Ashen
08-24-2011, 07:00 PM
"I'm not tired," Kadey argued. Her yawn begged to differ.
"Right. Well. I will just rest a bit. The map is right here if you need to." She lay the map down and her bag on top of it. Her eyes drifted shut. It was only a bit past seven and already it had been an exciting day. With a smile, Kadey fell into a light sleep.

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 07:09 PM
Raeralrin watched her sleep, examining her human body. So much different from the women on Silas... She's so small and frail... Face turning bright red, he turned away. It's rude to stare! Stop being such an idiot and keep the boat moving!
He picked up the oars and began to row, keeping a steady pace alone the river. Raeralrin peeked over his shoulder to look at her. She is pretty though...

Ashen
08-24-2011, 07:23 PM
"Mama!" Kadey screeched, staring in horror as her father mercilessly knocked her mother to the ground. "Papa, leave her alone!"
No one seemed to hear her so Kadey ran up to her father. She tried prying his fingers away from her mother but she was too weak. He was too strong. Tears lining her cheeks, she yelled "Stop!" Her father turned around to face Kadey. Kadey froze. She was staring into the brown eyes of Rae.
Jerking out of sleep, she stared at her surroundings. As everything came back to her she stared at Rae. He was still there, unarmed. Kadey sighed with relief but still she could not shake the terrifying image from her mind.

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 07:26 PM
"Hmm?" Raeralrin turned around at the sound of her waking. "Ah, you're awake. The rain has stopped, it is a little past midday and we're making good time."
After her filling her in on their status, he turned back to rowing. He wasn't tired, physical labor was nothing to him, just like swatting a fly. "How did you sleep? You were tossing and turning quite a bit, did you have a nightmare? Or are you just homesick?"

Ashen
08-24-2011, 07:32 PM
She stared up at him, but Kadey still felt wary.
It was just a dream, she told herself. Rae wouldn't do anything like that.
"I'm just used to sleeping on a bed and not a canoe is all," Kadey replied. The sun was shining right above her head. "You've been rowing for a long time," Kadey assumed. "Let me help you."

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 07:35 PM
"Everything is fine, where I come from, it is rude to give what could be done by a man to a woman." Raeralrin smiled at her. "This is nothing, I have no problem doing it."
Looking at the map he pointed to a small picture of a few houses. "We're coming close to that, what is it? Another village?"

Ashen
08-24-2011, 07:43 PM
Kadey grabbed the map and looked to where Rae had pointed. "Judging by the key, yes, a cluster of houses stands for a town or village. We are approaching Codzville. After that we shall be nearing the rock."
Kadey looked up from the map. It was about six hours since she left home. Kadey wondered if her mother would send a missing person's report to the town. Would everyone who say them say Rae kidnapped her? It didn't matter. They weren't going back home anytime soon anyway.

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 07:49 PM
"We should probably spend the night there, it won't be till late tomorrow that we'll reach the next village." Raeralrin looked at her, a small frown on his face.
"Are you alright, Kadey?" He leaned in toward her, face inches from hers. "You seem... sad."

Ashen
08-24-2011, 07:59 PM
Kadey held her breath as Rae came inches from her face. Just a dream.
"I am fine, thank you," she responded, the words coming out in one rush of a breath. She pretended to concentrate on a ripple in the water. "Resting there would probably be smart. We can find shelter and eat something."
At the mention of food Kadey realised how hungry she was. She hadn't eaten breakfast this morning and it was already lunch time. She shook her head. She would not eat anything until they got to the city. Unless of course Rae wanted something.

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 08:04 PM
Raeralrin stared at her for a moment more then pulled away, an emotionless mask on his face.
"Alright, I'll shall speed up so that we land there before nightfall." He began rowing faster, thoughts pounding through his head.
Is she upset with me? She didn't look at me... Am I uncomfortable to be around? Am I asking to many things?

Ashen
08-24-2011, 08:11 PM
Kadey sat in a corner, looking at the sky. The sun would set in roughly six or seven hours. They had plenty of time.
Something emerged from the water and splashed back in. Kadey got up and turned around but whatever it was was gone. It soon reappeared, jumping out of the water. It's shining skin reminded Kadey of Rae's. "Look at the fish," she said in awe. Kadey had seen fish at the market but never had she seen a fish that glowed so much. The sun was reflecting off of it's red gills. "It looks like fire."

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 08:16 PM
"Fish? What is a fish?" Raeralrin looked up for a moment then went back to rowing. He still couldn't decide how to handle the situation with Kadey. Not wanting to upset he,r he thought being silent might work, but what if not talking to her made her feel bad?
Why are humans so complicated? Raeralrin sighed, frustrated.

Ashen
08-24-2011, 08:21 PM
"A fish is..." Kadey started but her eyes were glued to the fiery light emerging from the water. "...an aquatic animal that lives under water. Well, that's what aquatic means. They take in oxygen with their skin. And some are so beautiful."
With her eyes following the fish, Kadey leaned over the edge of the boat. When she saw the fish come up she clapped her hands together. "This," she said, turning around and placing the leaping fish on the boat, "is a flying fish."

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 08:23 PM
What is she doing?!As soon as it was in the boat Raeralrin scooped it up and put it back in the water. Then he went back to rowing, his eyes closed.
"If it needs water to breath, why would you take it out of the water?" His voice was quiet and careful, like he was holding something back.

Ashen
08-24-2011, 08:30 PM
Kadey stared at the fish as it swam away, a look of disappointment on her face. "I was going to put it back," she said sadly. "It was just beautiful." Her fingers rubbed together, the fish slime dripping down her hand. A cold fire, Kadey thought. That's what that was.
"People eat fish," Kadey pointed. "It's the circle of life."

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 08:36 PM
"People eat fish to survive, that's the circle of life. The circle of life is not; I want to take the fish out of it's environment to look at how it sparkles in the sun." Raeralrin said, a hint of anger in his tone. "Every second that creature was unable to breath, is another second that it's in pain. Causing pain to a creature for no reason is something that isn't allowed."
The Manna on his skin grew brighter with every word. "What if some underwater creature came and brought you underwater cause he thought you were pretty? That wouldn't be very nice of him, would it? It's the same principle."

Ashen
08-24-2011, 08:53 PM
Kadey opened her mouth to fight her point but she then realised it was pointless.
"Yes," she said simply. "I know."
But no one would find me pretty in the first place.
With a sigh, she stood tall. "Is that Codzville?" she asked herself. "It looks like we're here."

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 09:01 PM
"Where shall we anchor our boat?" Raeralrin didn't look at her, he just eyed the shore. It still upset him that she'd do that to that poor innocent creature.

Ashen
08-24-2011, 09:10 PM
"Anywhere shall be fine. How about there?" Kadey pointed to a spot near one of the houses. "I've never been this far from the farm before," she stated. "It feels so..liberating."
She jumped off the boat and stared ahead at the houses. They were different from the ones she was used to. She imagined this was how Rae felt. Suddenly, she felt scared.
She was in a strange town that sounded like Godzilla with no one but an elf that could pin her against a wall without even touching her. She tried not to think about this.

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 09:17 PM
Raeralrin hopped into the water and started pulling the boat to shore, whispering in his language. "Perdona-la, les criatures de l'aigua."
After pulling the canoe onto the shore, he tied it to a tree. There were a few sparks of Manna and the canoe was actually attached to the tree now.
You never know with humans...

Ashen
08-24-2011, 09:31 PM
Kadey turned around to make sure Rae was following. She then started to walk around the town.
Codzville didn't look all that welcoming. There were no children playing on the streets and no corner stores. There was only one person outside but once he noticed Kadey and Rae he walked into his house and locked the door. "What nice natives," Kadey commented. She looked around, then corrected herself. "What a nice native."

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 09:36 PM
Raeralrin followed her, his skin starting to noticeably glow as evening fell. It was strange that no one was around but it was nice. "I don't mind, it's quiet."
Humans are so different. The last town we were in everyone was out and about.

Ashen
08-24-2011, 09:49 PM
"It's quiet," she whispered under her breath. That's what she didn't like about it.
Kadey turned to Rae. "Find us some shelter," she said. "You're taller and you can run faster. You could go greater distances."
Her stomach rumbled, reminding her of the food in her backpack. "Oh, first, let's eat." She pulled all of the food she had brought out of her bag which wasnt much. "Here, pick something."
Examining the can of soup, Kadey cursed herself for not bringing a can opener. She looked at the other foods. These will have to do.

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 09:51 PM
He shook his head. "I'm not hungry, I don't need to eat as much as you humans." Looking around he frowned. "Where would I find shelter? Not in one of these people's houses, I assume?"

Ashen
08-24-2011, 10:04 PM
Kadey stared at the laid out food, defeated. "Maybe a safe rock or a grassy bed," Kadey replied. "Definitely not in these houses."
Kadey grabbed an apple and bit into it. She put all of the other things back in her bag and rose. "I'll check for a safe place to sleep over here. You check over there."
Kadey headed off in her direction. She searched for somewhere that might be the least bit comfortable but could find no suiting place. She hoped Rae was having better luck.

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 10:07 PM
Raeralrin walked around town, he didn't want to go back without a solution. So he kept searching, going deeper into town. It was now starting to trouble him that there was no one around. He began to worry about Kadey. Was leaving her alone a good idea?... Maybe I should head back. But I haven't found a place to sleep yet...

Ashen
08-24-2011, 10:20 PM
Kadey looked up at the sky as it began to fall. "There has to be something around here," she mumbled to herself. A low-pitched growl filled the silence and Kadey felt a chill slide down her spine. She looked all around but could find what was making the growl. Terrified, she walled slowly, continuing her search for shelter.
The growl grew louder until Kadey saw it. Two yellow eyes were staring back at her. Ears low on his skull, teeth bared, Kadey was face to face with a wolf.
She froze in fear and suddenly wish Rae were beside her.
The wolf jumped at her and with a shriek Kadey darted away. Four legs were faster than two and the wolf soon caught up to her. He nipped at her, giving her ankle a scratch even through her sweatpants.
She ran to a tree and swiftly grabbed one of the overhead branches. She pulled herself up and sat on the small branch. From the tree she could see she was in a forest. She could also see a cave big enough for just Rae and herself. The only problem was getting to the cave without being harmed.

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 10:23 PM
Raeralrin froze. Had he heard correctly? Yes, that was Kadey's scream.
"Kadey!" Raeralrin began running towards where he heard her shriek. Please be okay.. please don't be hurt... Damn it! Why'd I leave her alone?!
Darting into the forest, he still hadn't seen her. "KADEY!!"

Ashen
08-24-2011, 10:34 PM
Kadey heard Rae screaming her name. She didn't call back because if she did the wolf would go after Rae. She stayed silent on her branch until she heard it crack. In a panic she looked up but she wouldn't be able to reach the next branch. She inhaled deeply and tried to stay very still.
The wolf clawed at the tree. His eyes were trained on the girl in the tree. There was no way he would loose her.
Kadey slowly removed her backpack. She didn't want any unneeded weight. She viewed her options carefully.
Throw the bag to the ground and risk the movement, hoping the branch will stay attached to the tree.
Hurl the bag at the wolf, risking its rage.
Kadey dropped the bag, keeping one item. If she did this right, she could get out alive. She held her breath and chucked the can of soup she was holding.
The can hit the dog's skull, and Kadey thought she heard a crack. The branch gave way under her and she fell to the ground. Before she could get up the wolf was on top of her. He scratched her face once before he fell down dead.
Kadey's can had cracked his skull and killed him.

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 10:40 PM
Rae followed the sounds of a struggle and stopped over them. With one hand he threw the wolf off of Kadey and he knelt down next to her. "Kadey... Don't speak."
He put both of his hands on her face, his Manna glowing brighter. A cold feeling numbed her face as his eyes stared into hers. "Focus... Breathe... Relax..."
The light grew, blinding her as her cuts healed, leaving no trace of scares. Raeralrin let go, fallign back onto his ass. He looked pale and tired. "How do you feel?"

Ashen
08-24-2011, 10:51 PM
Kadey blinked. "W-Why did you just do that?" Kadey asked, the only words that could surface. Her hand held her head, replaying the last few minutes of her life. She stared at the pale grey wolf, now drenched in his own blood. His nails were scarlet from the bark of the tree that must have cut him. Kadey looked at her hands. She was fine. "You're going to get yourself killed," she mumbled.
Grabbing her knee, she pulled her ankle from underneath of her. She removed her bloodstained pants leg to look at a perfectly fine ankle. Her fingers touched the blood on her pants. Her blood.

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 10:55 PM
"If I allow you to get hurt while I travel with you, I'm not doing my job as a man." He smiled, his Manna lines barely glowing. "I'm fine, I've got plenty left. I just need to rest..."
Shaking his head, trying to shake away the fatigue, he stood.
Raeralrin held out his hand, to help her up. "Besides, if it's for a beautiful women like you, I don't mind."

Ashen
08-24-2011, 11:23 PM
Kadey didn't think she'd heard correctly. She stared at Rae, searching for the smallest indication of a joke but found none.
"There's a cave over that way," Kadey said, attempting to ignore Rae's remark. "It looked vacant but I was looking from up a tree. Come on."
She started to walk towards the cave. Rae's words repeated in her mind, over and over.
Her cheeks coloured a deep red.

MadinWonderland
08-24-2011, 11:29 PM
She... she ignored it?... Was it offending? But I thought... Raeralrin hung his head, shot down. He picked up the wolf and slung it over his shoulder. On the other shoulder he put her bag. Slowly he followed, hanging back a bit. Wasn't it supposed to make her feel better? Happy? That's what they told us at school; humans enjoy getting compliments about their looks. It makes them feel more secure... Why didn't it work for her? Is it because I'm from Silas?
Raeralrin stopped walking. There's no way... but it makes sense... how ugly I must be compared to her people... A compliment from me is probably an insult..

Ashen
08-25-2011, 12:02 AM
Kadey stepped into the cave. It was pretty dark inside so she didn't know if anyone was there. "Hello?" she called. Her voice echoed.
"I think it's safe," Kadey called to Rae. She kept walking until she came to a wall. "It's not that big. And it looks like the animals would leave it alone."
She sat down in the cave. It was so dark she couldn't see her hand in front of her face. Her spine tingled lightly.

MadinWonderland
08-25-2011, 12:04 AM
Raeralrin walked into the cave, his skin giving off it's bluish white light, allowing them to see. His faced looked drained, tired, and sad. Sitting down next to her, he didn't say anything, just slumped his bare shoulders.

Ashen
08-25-2011, 12:10 AM
Kadey watched as the cave began to glow. Rae's skin was so beautiful in the dark.
She looked at his face. "Rae?" she said, inching a bit closer. "Are you okay? You look like..."
Kadey stared at Rae sadly. I didn't make him ill, did I?

MadinWonderland
08-25-2011, 12:17 AM
"I look like..." Raeralrin said quietly, looking down at his hands. "I'm just tired. Please don't worry about me."
She probably thinks I'm a freak... I am... just an ugly glowing alien..
"It's getting late, we should rest."

Ashen
08-25-2011, 12:22 AM
"Yeah," Kadey agreed, still not sure if she should be worried about Rae. She lay down and tucked her knees against her chest. "Rae?" she called. Kadey stared up with her innocent child's eyes. "Do you really think I'm pretty?"

MadinWonderland
08-25-2011, 12:30 AM
"The most beautiful thing I've laid my eyes on." He looked down at her, no lies in his eyes. "I don't lie."
Raeralrin went back to staring at his hands. Slowly his body relaxed as his Manna grew brighter than dark with each breath. His eyes fell closed, and he slept sitting up.

Ashen
08-25-2011, 12:38 AM
Kadey was about to say something but then stopped herself. He's lying, she told herself. He lives on a planet with magical creatures.
Kadey stared down at the cave floor. She heard Rae's soft snoring. She gently placed her head on Rae's chest and with a smile fell asleep.

MadinWonderland
08-25-2011, 12:48 AM
He was in the boat again. All the colors were vibrant and beautiful. In front of him sat Kadey, looking as pretty as usual. Not as usual.. She's wearing the traditional clothes of a woman from his planet.
"Kadey?..." He went to touch her and she turned around, her face twisted in a snarl.
"Get the hell away from me you alien freak!" She slapped him and jumped out of the boat, turning into a flying fish and swimming away.
"Kadey! Wait!" Raeralrin dove in after her, but found himself surrounded in darkness, the Manna on his arms gone. He was dying, all of his energy gone. "N-no... I need to get home!!"
"What home? You don't belong here." A figure stepped from the darkness, a tall elf, taller than Rae.
"F-father! Please! Please save me!" Raeralrin begged. "I need to go home! I'll die!"
The elf laughed cruelly. "What are you talking about, we kicked you out. You no longer an elf. You're just some freak stuck on a planet full humans! You'll never come back. Never!"
He faded back into darkness, his cruel laughter echoing around Raeralrin.
"FATHER!" Rae startled awake, unknowingly knocking Kadey's head off his chest.
Breathing heavily he looked around, it was early, early morning, not even the birds were awake yet. Rae put his hand to his face to find tears dripping down his cheeks.

Ashen
08-25-2011, 01:03 AM
Kadey startled, blinking the world into focus before calling Rae's name. She turned to him. "What's wrong?" she asked, eyes wide with concern. "Rae, what happened? You're crying."
To comfort Rae, Kadey wrapped her arms around him. "It's okay," she soothed. "It's okay."

MadinWonderland
08-25-2011, 01:10 AM
Raeralrin pulled away, surprised by the unexpected touch.
"You-... you... I can't... I'm a..." He couldn't finish his words, his heart wouldn't calm down and the tears wouldn't stop. His lower jaw quivered and his hands shook. This was the most emotional he's been since landing on Makai. It seemed all the stress from waking up on a new world without knowing why and trying to find his way home before he died without knowing if he even could get home was finally overflowing into his emotions.

Ashen
08-25-2011, 01:31 AM
"Shh, shh," Kadey soothed. She ran her fingers through his hair. She wished Rae would tell her what was wrong, why he was crying, but she knew unless she calmed him down that wouldn't happen. "It was only a dream," she murmured, assuming that's why he was so torn. "It's not real."
Kadey thought back to a lullaby her mother had once sung to her. Trying hard to remember the lyrics, she began to sing in a low monotone.
"You are my sunshine, my only sunshine. You make me happy when skies are grey. You never know dear, how much I love you. Please don't take my sunshine away."

MadinWonderland
08-25-2011, 01:37 AM
Raeralrin wiped his tears, taking deep stuttered breaths.
"I-I apologize... To act like this... in front of a woman... Inexcusable..." He looked into her eyes, the tears mostly gone. "Thank you... I hope I didn't startle you..."
What was with that dream?... Would she really do that to me? Yet she holds me now like I am a child... So caring... What do I do?

Ashen
08-25-2011, 01:49 AM
"What happened?" Kadey asked. She released Rae and stared at him. "And you can stop treating me specially just because I have ovaries."
She stared outside of the cave. The sun wasn't even awake yet. That didn't matter. She turned back to Rae. "Don't do that again." She offered a smile with her words.

MadinWonderland
08-25-2011, 01:54 AM
"It was just a dream..." He looked away, still not ready to tell her about his life on Silas. "Please forgive me, it won't happen again..."
Raeralrin could still fill her warmth lingering on his skin. He craved for that feeling again then scolded himself, Are you crazy? She's a human, it was probably instinct that made her hold me. There's no way she'd care for me in any other way... I'm an alien.

Ashen
08-25-2011, 01:59 AM
"Okay," Kadey said. "Try to get some more sleep."
Kadey turned around so that her back was facing Rae. She yawned.
Like every ordinary teenager, Kadey hated being awoken in the middle of the night. But today, Kadey didn't mind.

MadinWonderland
08-25-2011, 02:02 AM
Impossible. With a dream like that, Raeralrin was scared to go back to sleep. So instead he watched her, wanting with every once of his being to hold her and feel her warmth.
"Sleep well." He murmured, hoping and not hoping that she heard that.

Ashen
08-25-2011, 02:16 AM
Her eyes fluttered open and Kadey took in the world. The first thing she saw was Rae staring at her. Why is he watching me? she asked herself.
"Good morning," she said and then looked outside to confirm that it was morning. "Sleep well?"
What she meant to say was, "Did you sleep at all?"

MadinWonderland
08-25-2011, 02:19 AM
"Good morning..." He stood, turning away, golden hair shining in the morning light. "You should eat and then we'll head out down the river..."

Ashen
08-25-2011, 02:37 AM
"Yes, I will."
Kadey grabbed her bag and up zippered it. She pulled out a pear. "Okay, we can go. I can eat on the go. Come on, we need to get you home."
Kadey looked outside at the forest. "It's such a pretty day today."

MadinWonderland
08-25-2011, 02:40 AM
Get me home...
"Kadey?..." He asked quietly, walking outside the cave towards the canoe. His Manna sparkled in the morning sun. "W-what... what if I can't go home?.."

Ashen
08-25-2011, 02:50 AM
Kadey took another bite out of her pear. She stared at Rae. Then you will die, she thought, but she knew that's not what what Rae wanted to hear.
"Don't worry," Kadey said, "we'll get you home. Once we get to that place you pointed out you'll be able to return to Silas. It all works out in the end."

MadinWonderland
08-25-2011, 02:56 AM
"How do you know? How does anyone know? I had no idea that I'd be thrown onto this human world the day after my Day-of-Life celebration yet here I am!" Raeralrin said in a frustrated tone. "What if there is no way for me to go back home? What if we go there and find just an empty chasm? It'll be fine for you, you just have to go back home to your mother and live out the rest of your life like nothing happened! But what about me? I can't use my Manna or I'll die! It's not like I can change clothes and make myself look like a human!" He dug his fingers into his skin, ripping them across the lines of Manna, his blood dripped blueish white. "I can't hide the Manna, I am the Manna... I am an alien outcast..."

Ashen
08-25-2011, 03:04 AM
Kadey stared blankly at Rae. She didn't know how to reply, so she didn't.
In actuality, Kadey hadn't thought as far as Rae getting home. She didn't know if she would return to her mother and farm after Rae had left. She wouldn't even have a way home. And she didn't want to return to her mother only to be scolded and punished even more.
But she couldn't just move into someone's home either. And living in the woods wasn't an option.
Kadey stared at her hands. She would get Rae home. She wasn't sure how, but she would.

MadinWonderland
08-25-2011, 03:11 AM
Raeralrin took a deep breath then realized what he just did.
"I apologize... that was rude of me.. I just.. Forgive me..." He covered his bleeding arm with his hand. "I was being stupid and asking questions I knew you couldn't answer... "
Raeralrin found himself to be such a moron.

Ashen
08-25-2011, 03:18 AM
Kadey shrugged. "That's okay, I'm used to it."
She looked up at Rae. "Everything is worth a try. I want to help you. And I want to see the smile on your face when you see your planet just in reach."
She smiled. "So shall we go?"

MadinWonderland
08-25-2011, 03:21 AM
"Yeah. What do you mean you're used to it?" Raeralrin walked towards the canoe, wrapping his belt cloth around his arm. The words confused him and also made him worry.
Why am I complaining about my life? She probably suffered more than I. I need to be more careful about what I say.

Ashen
08-25-2011, 03:28 AM
"'Oh Kadey why did he leave me?'" Kadey mimicked. "'What did I do wrong?' 'Why is it such a gloomy day?' What will I do if he gets probation?'"
Kadey shook her head. "I've been living with my mother for sixteen years. She's been asking me why my Papa went to jail for fourteen years. I'm used to rhetoric questions."
A little too used to it.

MadinWonderland
08-25-2011, 03:33 AM
"Jail? Probation?" Raeralrin didn't understand. "Do those mean you can't see your father?"
I am jealous but I think her on Makai, for her, it supposed to be a bad thing.

Ashen
08-25-2011, 03:40 AM
Kadey examined Rae carefully. It really must be all happy and dandy on Silas.
"Jail is an isolated area where they keep the losers that break the law. They can't come out of jail until their time is up. And probation is something you get when you've been good in jail. It just means they let you go earlier than the agreed upon sentence."
Kadey sighed. "It doesn't matter. My father's a jackass anyway."

MadinWonderland
08-25-2011, 03:44 AM
"Yours too huh?" Raeralrin sighed as they approached the canoe. "So why is your father in jail? Or is that too sensitive a question for me to be asking?..."
With a flash of light, Raeralrin removed the canoe from the tree. He easily pushed it into the water and helped her get in. "Let's get moving, shall we?"
He picked up the oars and started rowing.

Ashen
08-25-2011, 03:49 AM
"My father is in jail for two accounts of murder. He got so drunk one day that he started walking around with an axe. One of the victims was a police officer. He also has to serve for an attempted homicide."
Kadey steadied herself on the boat. "I think it would just be best for everyone if the bastard dropped dead."

MadinWonderland
08-25-2011, 04:00 AM
"Murder?" Raeralrin turned to look at her. "Homicide? What are those?"
Everything seems so violent here on Makai... Nothing terrible ever really happens on Silas compared to what Makai goes through.

Ashen
08-25-2011, 04:05 AM
Kadey sighed. Does he know nothing?
"Homicide and murder are two words meaning the act of killing about person."
She stared out at the sparkling river. "And now we must get to this place," Kadey said with her map in hand once again. "Thank goodness we're out of Godvillaville."

MadinWonderland
08-25-2011, 04:18 AM
"Killing another living being?" Raeralrin gasped in shock. "That cannot be possible, how could anyone do that? There is no killing on Silas."

Ashen
08-25-2011, 04:26 AM
"Yeah well, we're not on Silas," Kadey said wearily. "You aren't allowed to kill people but people do it anyway."
As the canoe rocked to the river's swaying Kadey leaned back. "Enough about my dumb father. Tell me about you. I still don't know anything about you."

MadinWonderland
08-25-2011, 04:43 AM
Raeralrin looked at the river, avoiding his gaze. It was obvious he didn't want to talk about it.

Ashen
08-25-2011, 04:53 AM
Kadey stared at the water as well. She had invaded his personal space.
"When I was a little girl I had this friend that could play the violin," Kadey said, changing the subject. "Do you have violins on Silas? I find them very comforting, the way they can make such beautiful sounds and all they are is a chunk of wood."

MadinWonderland
08-25-2011, 04:57 AM
"On Silas... we have musical instruments as well but they are not the same as yours. Though, they are alike. Everyone on Silas is musical, either with instruments or with their own voice." He still wouldn't look at her. "I play what to you would seem like a flute."

Ashen
08-25-2011, 05:00 AM
"A flute," Kadey mused. "I've always wanted to learn to play an instrument. Mama said it was a waste of money so I stuck with using my voice. Still, I'm not all that good."
Kadey tried to catch Rae's eye but he was making sure that wouldn't happen. So she sat down on the edge of the boat and hummed to herself.

MadinWonderland
08-25-2011, 05:10 AM
"I am twenty-four of your years old." Raeralin he said slowly, still not looking up. His face was blank and his voice was careful, as if he was trying to stop himself from saying too much. "My full name is Raeralin Loc de la Lluna. I come from a family of three, my mother is gone and my father seems to be just as troubling as yours..."

Ashen
08-25-2011, 01:17 PM
Kadey looked up at Rae with interest. His full name sounded like a melody: Raerelrin Loc de la Lluna. When she was little she had wished for a little brother or sister and Rae had three. Kadey was curious about Rae's father but she didn't want to pry. Instead, she sat still and absorbed what was coming to her.

MadinWonderland
08-25-2011, 02:35 PM
Rae hesitated then continued. "My family has a higher standing on Silas than most normal families... We have all been taught since our first Day-of-Life celebration about our history and politics."
Why am I telling her this?... I can't stop.

Ashen
08-25-2011, 02:59 PM
"Day-of-Life?" Kadey asked with interest. "What is that?"
Why is he telling me all of this? Did I force it out of him? Her eyes drifted shut. Should I stop him? Does he want me to? Is that rude? Kadey stayed still and silent, not trusting herself to say anything.