PDA

View Full Version : Uncle Dennis [short story]

Mockingjay
01-14-2010, 02:22 AM
Uncle Dennis
by Poetry&Meanness
- based on a true story -

"Oh goodness," my mother exclaims. "You see that? You see that happen there? Oh Father, people jus' get schupid sometimes!"

Uncle Dennis cracks a joke and I'm the only one who laughs, but he doesn't hear me. In fact, he pretends that I didn't say anything at all. So I shut up, and attempt to hide inside myself, as if doing this would make me less... annoying. The conversation picks up again. We're currently in my uncle's new house watching "Cops" on his big screen T.V.

It's been exactly two years since he has last spoken to me. Two years. I am now 15 years old.

Age thirteen was a tough age for me. That year everything had fallen apart like a soggy cookie. Uncle Dennis was living with us then, with my Aunt Sharon and my cousin Farah. We were pretty close. He didn't say much, but I knew he loved me. Sometimes people just know things, even me who was a then spacey thirteen year old girl. It's like knowing that your mom will come home every night, or like knowing the Jets will manage to screw SOMETHING up no matter how many games they win.

Uncle Dennis jokes with my older sister now. They're laughing about some bald Italian guy in a wife-beater pissing his pants on camera. I sit here off in the far corner of the room, begging to be a part of their conversation, begging to laugh with him. I feel like my soul is trying to push itself past my body and reach toward them. And so I pull my knees together and hold myself in, squeezing my knees to my body tighter and tighter.

But it doesn't sit still. Instead, I feel it push harder and harder, their shoves against the inside of my body matching the thuds of my own heart.

Shush, I tell it. Please, shush. Stay still. Stay still. I talk to my soul like a baby, like a little person whose fragile but determined. But I know it won't be quiet. My soul is crying and screaming, flailing its arms and legs so violently that it attacks the inside of my body. Again, the beatings match the rhythym of my heart. But I know it isn't my soul at all. I know it's just my heart beating me up on the inside.

Please stop.

Uncle Dennis says something even funnier this time, and I bite my lip. The whole family laughs, except for me. Instead, I pull my knees tighter.

Flex
01-14-2010, 08:04 AM
Dude, this is so, so, SO beautiful. Compelling, poignant and emotionally-done; I really admire you for writing this and posting this, here--thank you SO much for sharing this with us. I love how you write straight from your heart; I have to admit, you got me all teary with the last two paragraphs. ~rofl~ And I adore how you write the Caribbean accent; I can hear it all so perfectly.

As for your uncle, dude, I'm trying not to go TOO out-of-line here, but well, if he can't appreciate you, then that's his loss, you know? Very few people get to have someone as awesome as you in their lives, and if he isn't able to realise that, well, that's his fault.

Mockingjay
01-15-2010, 01:33 AM
Thank your for that Flex. It took a bit of courage for me to post this, but thank you for the really kind words. Gosh, THANK YOU! xD

Zzapper
01-15-2010, 02:47 AM
It flowed well and was quite easy to read, and that, takes talent (I sometimes proof for my buddy who writes, it can be muchmuch worse). Well done and most defiantly keep writing! (kept me sane for a couple years XD)

Miss Devil
01-15-2010, 03:26 PM
PaM. you rule.

Mockingjay
01-15-2010, 08:16 PM
PaM. you rule.

Thank you miss. xDDDD Really appreciate your comment! And it's good to hear from you!

Totenglaut
01-15-2010, 08:31 PM
PaM is Caribbean?

Never mind it was a beautiful story that flowed amazingly well. It was a treat to read I wish half the authors who put things out could evoke as much emotion as you do.

Good job.

Mockingjay
01-16-2010, 06:09 AM
PaM is Caribbean?

Never mind it was a beautiful story that flowed amazingly well. It was a treat to read I wish half the authors who put things out could evoke as much emotion as you do.

Good job.

lol my parents are from the West Indies xD. Thank you so much Tote!!!! Good to hear from you! It took a bit of courage to write this, so thank you for your positive feedback. It makes me feel a little bit better. xD And I really need that, you know?

THANK YOU!!!