PDA

View Full Version : Story work

SikstaSlathalin
01-13-2012, 12:50 AM
Story: A cosmic matter termed Darkness has managed to take Earth by surprise and now those capable must defend their sacred planet from the destructive force that is the Darkness. Hidden away at first are three cosmic entities watching over the Earth, determining when to contact the strongest individuals on the planet before it is too late.

This our story so far this thread is for any tweaks or edits we need on it.

Imp
01-15-2012, 04:41 AM
I'm debating on if we should keep it blunt or really get in depth. If we do go long, I fear what enticing plot-twists we rally up will be for nothing.

Tell me what you think about this description which keeps the Cosmic Beings out of it, having them be a surprise for when the time comes. Perhaps we could write 'our' thoughts on the matter of Earth but keep them anonymous.

Space has always been a peculiar fascination by many across this great planet. Such wonders we have come to discover and still are learning, expanding outward into the darkness. But that's just it... for what lies out there watching us? As we gaze at the stars, something is looking back at us. Perhaps not like a how a lioness stares at her prey, but rather how a human notices the moon with quenchable curiosity and limitless queries to be answered.

Upon Earth, scientists have discovered something very painstakingly odd with the outer space. With NASA and other space programs across the globe suddenly losing satellites, they have come to notice a trend. Whatever is destroying these satellites is coming closer and closer. After further research, the scientists have come to discover the great property of Dark Matter or as some on the street and political speech term it as Darkness. It has increased more than it has in the past and now telescopes can't see into the unknown due to the dark matter blocking it.

Money went into seeing through the foggy matter but it didn't take long for the telescopes to fail again. At this moment, there are hardly any stars to be seen and even the sun seems a bit dimmer than it was years ago. An expedition team called 'Major Tom', which had some of the greatest minds on it, failed to report back after launching into space to discover anything new on this coming terror.

Dr. Manhattan,who could not see the future thanks to strange temporal interference, as well as Superman and several others of this planet's finest have gone to tackle the issue of Darkness, but like Major Tom, they have yet to return. It is unfortunate what is happening and Earth fears for her life. Crime has risen with the loss of several key superheroes and the people are outraged by what is happening, finding this to be part of some evil plot by a super villain.

Who knows? No one truly as of yet. Now suit up! We have other issues to take care of!

Well, gentlemen?

SikstaSlathalin
01-15-2012, 05:40 AM
Spectacular I think.
And maybe we can add in our own chars. ideas when we actually start the story.

Imp
01-16-2012, 05:48 AM
Sounds good to me!

StormWolf
01-21-2012, 07:10 PM
I like your idea, Imp. Depending on how long we want this thing to run, we could take the other plot and have that come after. Classic comic book style of "we saved the day, but what we did to save it unleashed a new evil" blah blah blah.

Y'all followin' me?

SikstaSlathalin
01-21-2012, 07:19 PM
Ay but I think we'll get it all out in 3 chapters and just see how far things roll before we decide to move on?

StormWolf
01-21-2012, 08:28 PM
sounds good, man

Imp
01-28-2012, 08:42 PM
Agreed!

SikstaSlathalin
02-03-2012, 03:17 AM
So which city will be in which chapter?

StormWolf
02-03-2012, 09:28 PM
ch. 1: NY
ch. 2: Gotham
ch. 3: metropolis?

kinda going clockwise down the eastern seaboard and in to the more central states? My reasons of thinking this way is is Doom and Hydra want to try and harness the Darkness. Maybe Dr. Manhattan, Stark Mr. Fantastic, are working together on some device to try and absorb the Dark Matter and so the big baddies want to take that tech so they can use this Dark Energy (which disappeared Superman) and use it against SHIELD and the United States.

SikstaSlathalin
02-04-2012, 07:59 PM
If we go with that we'll have to inform the players who chose those guys to play this plan.

I think we could also let Superman come back in maybe as a mystry back-up or something.

Imp
02-07-2012, 05:59 AM
Hmm...
Well if we choose NYC then let's keep it to just the Manhattan borough. Reason being that it's large enough for us all to brawl in/ sneak about and also we can maintain what's in it instead of having all of NYC.

I feel the last map we fight in should include the device that can either destroy or absorb the Darkness. This way it helps encourage a reason to fight harder besides it being the supposed last chapter.

SikstaSlathalin
02-07-2012, 06:10 AM
So would Gotham or Metropolis be better for that?

StormWolf
02-08-2012, 06:46 PM
well aren't we axing gotham out of the equation? Or do we want to save Gotham just for the last chapter's climactic battle? Gotham definitely has Wayne Corp and Queen Industries which could devote their resources to powering the Device.

Maybe the Device requires a certain level of charging and the Anti-Darkness heroes need to defend Wayne Tower from the assaulting Pro-Darkness villains? Gives a chance for a lot of fights and confrontations as well as getting the blow the hell out of Gotham.

SikstaSlathalin
02-08-2012, 07:03 PM
So I guess Metropolis will be axed for London then.

So which city will we put in each chapter? Ch1 NYC, Ch2 London, Ch3 Gotham or would it be better to put London first then NYC so we can get an idea of the Darknesses path?

StormWolf
02-08-2012, 08:16 PM
London first gives a good sense of direction.

SikstaSlathalin
02-08-2012, 08:21 PM
Ok that's one now we just need Imp's input.

StormWolf
02-09-2012, 01:53 AM
*le peer pressure*

SikstaSlathalin
02-09-2012, 01:56 AM
lol

Imp
02-09-2012, 04:58 AM
I'm for it!
Chp 1 London - Sides are Chosen
Chp 2 NYC - Dark of the Big Apple
Chp 3 Gotham - To End it all

SikstaSlathalin
02-09-2012, 05:04 AM
Awesome I think we may really be able to post this to the masses soon.

Imp
02-09-2012, 05:11 AM
Not too concerned with the proper placement of this question but...

How should characters spawn in each chapter? Will the Pro/Anti start in the Hydra/SHIELD air-ship to make things driven more towards a team effort or just let everyone spawn where they want?

I myself like the former idea the best.

SikstaSlathalin
02-09-2012, 05:17 AM
Well I think for the first chapter we should let those that want to spawn elsewhere do so and those that want to spawn with SHIELD and HYDRA can do that. But maybe for the second chapter try and gear it toward people going to HYDRA and SHIELD?

Imp
02-09-2012, 05:35 AM
That works.
I picture chapter one will look like THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7Nf-m6WGl4)

As for the story, the supreme beings we play as will arrive at the end of chp1 to tell everyone of the Darkness which is when the sides for Pro and Anti will be chosen, yes? Or are we just having the Pro/Anti thing already established at the beginning of the RP?(besides the fact that the char. sheet asks for which side the player wishes to join)

I'm just making sure of things. I should probably do some reading in the other threads but I'd rather choose going to bed instead. XD

SikstaSlathalin
02-09-2012, 05:46 AM
Well I like that idea and that is an epic picture of what the chapter will be.

And I think we can do the Supreme beings bit but also have some of the Scientists we'll hopefully have get an idea of it before hand. Maybe have Sentry and Void act as like Prophets?

StormWolf
02-09-2012, 07:58 PM
That works.
I picture chapter one will look like THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7Nf-m6WGl4)

As for the story, the supreme beings we play as will arrive at the end of chp1 to tell everyone of the Darkness which is when the sides for Pro and Anti will be chosen, yes? Or are we just having the Pro/Anti thing already established at the beginning of the RP?(besides the fact that the char. sheet asks for which side the player wishes to join)

I'm just making sure of things. I should probably do some reading in the other threads but I'd rather choose going to bed instead. XD

as bad as a game as DCU was, that is an awesome vid. As to how characters choose their allegiance, it is pretty black and white. If they are good guys they'll likely join the Anti-Dark, and vice versa.

I like the idea of Sentry and Void being Prophets, and maybe Dr. Manhattan gave a vague warning before the Darkness ate him and Superman.

Imp
02-09-2012, 08:20 PM
Never played DCU and glad I haven't. XD

As for Supe and Doc, That will really set the world into fear with both of those godlike characters being easily destroyed. Adrian has less to worry about now...

And I'm all for the Sentry and Void prophet idea. =P

StormWolf
02-09-2012, 08:34 PM
well ever since 'the death of superman', death in comic books is like going over a speed bump :p. I assume Superman and Manhattan will be back at the ass-end of chapter 3.

Imp
02-09-2012, 10:52 PM
We can only hope so. Then again, maybe the ending to Powers(depending on who wins) will usher in a new era. One where Doc and Superman are but statues in musuems and whose once great powers are meek compared to the new supreme protectors of Earth!

That is if we manage to get through all of Powers before it falls. Then again I have faith that this one will do much better if not completely stomp on the old one.

StormWolf
02-10-2012, 07:42 AM
the remade daily planet has a superman statue holding the revolving globe..... super depressing.

SikstaSlathalin
02-10-2012, 05:55 PM
If we plan on bringing those two back into the mix we'll need people to control them. But maybe having the two most powerful Super humans killed and the other two most powerful ones acting as prophets will get all our players into a believable state of anticipation and fear.

Imp
02-10-2012, 06:34 PM
I suggest we keep 'em dead as like you said, it spreads fear into the hearts of all... or most, rather. I'm Sure Lex is more uneasy about the Darkness than fearing it since it did him a favor and took Superman out of the picture.

OH btw, should we suggest in ousting some other characters who may be too powerful? Like Hulk, Thor, Spawn, and some others? My concern being mostly about just evening the playing field so human characters have a somewhat better chance against the super human instead of just being turned into pulp. Of course, I'm sure Batman, Adrian, Punisher, and Lex can manage against the big leagues...

StormWolf
02-10-2012, 07:41 PM
Thor can still get his ass decently kicked by someone with enough/proper firepower. Same goes for hulk... Unless we follow the story arch where he was jettisoned in to space. Still, I think fighting alongside the Avengers during the NYC chapter would fullfill many fans' dreams.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure previously mentioned characters will fare well enough against superhumans. Punisher vs. the Marvel Universe. Nuff said.

SikstaSlathalin
02-10-2012, 07:51 PM
Hmm axing some chars might be smart but we're already playing the most powerful ones. I say we allow them but warn those that choose them when fighting the non super supers?

StormWolf
02-10-2012, 07:52 PM
exactly. and to be fair, Thor and Hulk have matured in the comics. Hulk hardly hurts non-supers anymore...he just costs them billions in property damage. Thor is pretty arrogant, and that can easily be exploited as a weakness.

Imp
02-10-2012, 08:03 PM
Adrian loves exploiting weaknesses. *looks to Watchmen comic*

Alright, a simple warning sounds good.

So what else do we need to work on?
Seems all character bios are up, story is confirmed as well as structure, and several threads are placed and ready for the masses.

SikstaSlathalin
02-10-2012, 09:40 PM
We need two more forums for information on the main page.

One will obviously be the maps and all that. And the other I'm not to sure on what we should make it.

StormWolf
02-10-2012, 10:27 PM
the map thread could be.... Public Information Service and the Information thread could be 'Breaking News' brought to you by the Planet and Bugle....

Get some immersion in to the POWERS universe?

SikstaSlathalin
02-11-2012, 12:24 AM
And would we use the Breaking News thread for suggestions and questions?

StormWolf
02-11-2012, 12:49 AM
I see no reason why not :)

SikstaSlathalin
02-11-2012, 12:54 AM
Ok I think we may actually have this up soon. Maybe we can work the site upgrade into the mythos of our RP? Say like that was the first indication the Darkness is trying to get to us and the Cosmics saved it? Or maybe say the site had to upgrade to accommodate the raw awesomeness of our RP?

Imp
02-11-2012, 02:07 AM
I'll choose the latter on that one. XD
As it was fun making it seem like the Darkness was causing the site errors, I think it'd be best we don't go too far into it and just say the advancement of the site will better harness the awesomeness far more than the old one.
Plus I have a cheese limit...

As for the two thread ideas, sounds excellent! A help section will greatly boost confidence as we can solve any problems and help those in need. The map will also be of great service as well with showing the boundaries on each map so no one strays too far.

SikstaSlathalin
02-11-2012, 02:10 AM
Perfect I sent a PM to Anne to get us those two threads but I'll send another one to some other Admin soon though.

SikstaSlathalin
02-11-2012, 02:16 AM
Ok sent word to every other Admin hopefully we'll have our new threads up soon then we can add the last minutes touches and wait for the site update.

Imp
02-11-2012, 02:31 AM
Excellent! Now we play the waiting game...

SikstaSlathalin
02-11-2012, 02:34 AM
Ok Naz just got back to me I think we'll have the game pieces set soon.

SikstaSlathalin
02-23-2012, 06:21 PM
Ok we have 5 Pros played by members and 4 Antis played by members. Think it's good enough to open up CH1 or leave it until everyone posts at least once in their side's IC?

Imp
02-24-2012, 11:01 AM
I think it would be best to wait till everyone get a post in or two... or three even so plans can be made and both leaders can inform their comrades about the coming battle in London.

May I also advise for some neat atmosphere that:
In each chapter, it gets darker and darker. London will be grey with the sun being hardly visible while NYC will be that of an even darker grey and of course Gotham being pitch black with no moon or stars visible.

Also that we include collateral in each chapter. Perhaps in London, there are rioters near certain areas while security is also something to get past(won't be hard) inside each landmark. This would also offer the opportunity for many to show off their skills instead of waiting for the other faction to arrive.

As for why the security force there needs to be dealt with? We can blame either faction's side for reasons that England doesn't trust that faction. For example, Pro-dark declares SHIELD is planning on using this critical time in taking over the world starting with England and that the SHIELD subdivision in England was overthrown by the masses during a riot.

SikstaSlathalin
02-24-2012, 06:28 PM
That'll be on our chars to set that scene then.