PDA

View Full Version : Super Smash Bros. War: The Giga Contagion (OOC)

Wil Grieve
02-03-2010, 09:51 PM
Story

The princess is saved; the enemy armies have retreated. Bowser's biggest coup to date has been thwarted by the impeccable heroism of the Smashers. The final attack commences. Fox McCloud, head of the Star Fox team and frequent savior of the Lylat System, has been nominated for the task of engaging the Koopa King in the penultimate battle of the Smash War. The battle is arduous, but the canid fights hard against the tyrannical turtle, his determination overpowering Bowser's evil. But at the cusp of victory, all contact with Fox is severed. No static, no interference. Just emptiness.

Three Smashers independently survey the vulpine's last known location, and all report the same tragedy. Final Destination is no more. Amidst the debris, the remains of Fox's Arwing are discovered. Analysis of the dust floating around the destroyed arena reveal trace remains of a chemical reaction used to power the Smart Bombs used by the Star Fox team. The crash site showed that the Arwing was not carrying any bombs at the time of its abandonment, meaning they'd been used. This lead to the conclusion that Fox was responsible for the arena's demise. No bodies were ever found.

Questions plague the remaining Smashers. Where is Fox? Why destroy Final Destination? Could it have been the last act of a desperate king that led to the canine's end?

Meanwhile, a new villain rears its ugly head in Smashworld, and with his rise comes the terrifying debut of a weaponized supernatural pathogen. Infection occurs through defeat in battle, and once infected, the disease is terminal; no known means of combating it have been discovered. At first, infections will be few and far between. Those infected lose their will and become puppets to the villains. They also become bigger. Stronger. Angry. Bowser was the first victim of what the heroes will come to know as the "Giga Contagion." An optimist would hope that he would also be the last. But a realist knows that a shadow is falling upon the world, and only the Smashers have the power to fight it.

The characters are headed into a new war, far more dangerous than Bowser's last stand. Foes turn to friends and friends become foes. There'll be heartache, there'll be pain. But with hope, there'll also be triumph.

Gameplay

This RP will follow a guided freeform style. That is to say, missions and objectives will be given, as will be a description of the environment, but how one goes about accomplishing them is entirely up to the Smashers. Each mission will follow a select group of Smashers, and roles will be given out before each mission. In this way, we allow everyone a fair shot at playing their favorite characters, and no character can be hogged by a member for an extended period of time. It also allows things to stay fresh; if someone grows tired of playing a character, it won't be long before they can switch out.

Standard freeform RP rules apply. No godmod, no invincibility, no autohit, none of that. I administrated a freeform RP for three years straight; I'm a bit of a stickler for that sort of thing. If you need to godmod, RP in Godmod Village (and there's some free advertising for Godmod Village).

Characters

A list of available characters will be kept updated in this post throughout the course of the RP.

Characters are chosen on a mission by mission basis. A small RP sample may be necessary to determine if the player is able to accurately portray the personality of the Smasher they are controlling.

I'd like to allow the players a chance to subtly influence how the story begins by nominating a Smasher to start us out. Depending on the response, I will judge how many players I want to be playing out the first mission, and if there is substantial overflow, I will start a storyline for them separate from the mission. Split it into Mission 1A and 1B or something. Post in this thread the name of the character you want me to make available for Mission 1. I won't necessarily use it, but some influence is better than no influence, yes?

Also, we are not limited to the rosters of the games. While the majority of the characters in this RP will be from the SSB series, I have plans to bring in characters from a lot of different Nintendo properties. Fans of Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars might be especially pleased with some of my characters selections. Mission 1's first boss will definitely be a treat to those.

Another note, we will not have any third party Smashers in this RP. I was irked at the presence of Snake and Sonic in SSBB (well, Snake more than Sonic, but I digress) and will not be allowing them to be used here. Unless someone can make an incredibly convincing case for a character, there will not be any Lloyd Irvings or Cloud Strifes or Master Chiefs running around.

Missions

Missions would progress the overall storyline in a manner similar to Subspace Emissary did in Brawl. At the beginning, a situation will be presented, and a list of objectives or a goal will be listed. RPers do their thing until the goal is met, and then I will either assign a player to play the boss, or play the boss myself. Once the mission is complete, the story goes on. Fairly simple, really.

I'm open to suggestions of characters and villains, as well. Just make sure they're Nintendo characters. If anyone has any questions, feel free to post them in this thread. I don't think a character sheet is necessary, mainly because the characters are, for the most part, pretty well-established already. I might make one for applications to add more Smashers, though.

~~~~~~~~~~

This section will be continuously updated with both a summary of the plot thus far, and the available characters for missions.

Current Mission: Mission 1 - Untitled As Of Yet
I will post details on this mission as soon as I receive a small list of characters that players would like to see on it. Protip: Your character is more likely to be accepted if it is aesthetically similar to other posters. Example: Someone who picks Pokémon Trainer Red will be more likely to have the character accepted if someone before them has picked another humanoid character.

Available Characters: List will be provided after I have received suggestions from posters. I already have some new characters in mind, and they will be put on this list along with the accepted suggestions.

mrgameandpie
02-18-2010, 03:56 AM
I would like to join this, my preferences for characters are Game and Watch, Kirby, or ROB

Lacantherope769
02-18-2010, 04:40 AM
I'm liking this alot; Pickachu, Pichu, and Mewtwo are my fave's.

nona
02-22-2010, 05:47 AM
Interesting... I would be curious to see those who could be used and could not. Id love to see some newer wii folks like Klonoa, or the cute lil munchables critter, or... GAH! I'll think of some later I am most certain. But the idea would certainly be an interesting one to see!

Lacantherope769
02-24-2010, 11:25 PM
And Lucario!

nona
02-26-2010, 05:13 AM
Ooooh, that would be awesome Ill admit! :3 Maybe some mega-man folks as well?

Lacantherope769
02-26-2010, 09:49 PM
Eeee! Roll!

Almost_Blue
02-27-2010, 07:58 PM
I totally call dibs on Airman xD
You cannot defeat mee~ >O

Lacantherope769
02-27-2010, 08:14 PM
Pish! Give me Yoshi or Give me Death!

Pope Jako III
02-28-2010, 04:16 PM
if ur still taking players im in if you'll have me. oh ya by the So gonna call dibbs on cpt. Falcon.

mrgameandpie
03-03-2010, 03:12 AM
Metalman, Cutman, Brightman, Galaxyman they're all awesome, especially Galaxyman

Almost_Blue
03-03-2010, 04:16 AM
So..is that a yes on Megaman characters? :3 -angel halo- , 'cause that would just be too perfect. <3

SammyGirl
03-10-2010, 05:40 PM
If you're still taking players, I'd be interested in playing Samus ^^
I couldn't tell if she was taken or not just from reading the front page post.

Mysteria
03-16-2010, 05:56 PM
This looks like a great rp. If you need help getting more players for your game don't forget that you can submit it for RP of the Week! All the information that you need can be found here. (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=905)

Lerouge
03-16-2010, 08:25 PM
I'd totally be interested as Link or Lucario *nods*

Wil Grieve
03-25-2010, 08:54 PM
Oh wow, I wasn't aware this was actually receiving attention! Very cool, you guys are up to it? Sounds fantastic. I'm in class right now, but when I get some free time, I'll write up a basic plotline for me to stick to while GMing. I'm thinking of all of these ideas I used to have for an SSB game (character-exclusive items and such).

As it stands right now (30 seconds after realizing this was replied to), I'm thinking the preface to each of the topics will probably be structured something like this:

World: (Insert World here. Mario, DK, etc.)
Description of Environment: (Specification on what part of the world you're in.)
Enemies: (The types of enemies you will encounter. Koopas, Waddle Dees, etc.)
Item Drops: (I will be in control of these. I will drop items when I find them necessary, or when something happens that I particularly like. Once grabbed, items are in the grabber's possession for the remainder of the stage, unless I intervene in a way that would take it away. I will take suggestions for new items.)
Miniboss: (Yes or no.)
Boss: (There will always be one. I'll list who it is here, as it will usually be fairly apparent.)
Recruitable Characters: (Who can be picked up here, their location, and possibly the conditions for recruitment)

Regarding Third-Party Characters: I don't support their use in the Smash Bros. series. However, given Sonic and Snake's presence in Brawl, I will accept TPCs who come with convincing arguments. I plan on using a couple of characters who aren't exactly Nintendo characters, but they've only appeared in Nintendo games. If that makes sense.

I've also suddenly got the idea to have little interludes involving single characters, which, if the character succeeds, result in something good for the team. The one I just thought of involved Pikachu's introduction, and the protection of a certain egg that could hatch another playable character...

I'll probably use this for a planning thread, to throw in my ideas and stuff.

Idea: Choices made early on can drastically affect the endgame. I already have one thought up.

Wil Grieve
03-26-2010, 07:47 PM
I apologize that I couldn't fit more people into the introductory mission, but if more people wish to play, I could create another mission for those people to roleplay in. I assigned the roles based on the suggested characters and the people who wanted to play them.

Mission 1
Total Players: 3
World: Mario, Pokémon
Description of Environment: Part 1 will take place in a seedy area of the Mushroom Kingdom, in a sprawling but dangerous bar. Part 2 will take place in the caves of Mt. Moon in Kanto.
Enemies: Part 1 is mostly informative, and will only contain one enemy, unless the PCs decide to fight each other. Part 2, just for the sake of this being an introductory mission, will contain 3 fights, but the first two will be relatively short in length.
Item Drops: No items will drop in Part 1. All Pokémon-related items have a small possibility of dropping in Part 2.
Miniboss: ???. Weak to Rock, Steel, Water, Electric, and Ice. Immune to Ground.
Boss: ???.
Recruitable Characters: ??? (World: Pokémon), ??? (World: Pokémon)
Briefing: Bounty hunters Samus Aran (Sammygirl) and Captain Falcon (Pope Jako III), following independent leads on the whereabouts of Fox McCloud, both arrive in the Mushroom Kingdom to investigate a claim made by one "Goonba" that he'd discovered the scouter of Fox McCloud and was offering information for a high price. Samus and Falcon track Goonba to a trashy but spacious bar, where they attempt to squeeze the information out of Goonba.
Objectives:
1. Convince Goonba to give up the information regarding the Scouter.
2. ???

If this sounds good, I'll start an IC topic once Samus and Falcon are verified. Pokémon fans, I advise you to pay attention, for I will be needing another player in Part 2, and I think you'll like what you see.

mrgameandpie
03-27-2010, 01:48 AM
I'm glad I wasn't chosen for this particular part, I know nothing of the world of Pokemon (other than that Porygon 2 looks awesome)

Wil Grieve
03-27-2010, 06:53 AM
Don't worry, gameandpie. If I get enough of a response, I'll make a Mission 1a for the overflow. I'm trying to group characters together in ways that kinda make sense (Samus and Falcon are both bounty hunters) so I'm working with your Kirby/G&W/ROB idea.

SammyGirl
03-27-2010, 11:52 PM
This looks awesome XD
I can tell I'm going to have fun with this.

Pokemon environments ftw XD

Wil Grieve
03-28-2010, 07:03 PM
Excellent. Now we just need Captain Falcon to respond.

Wil Grieve
03-30-2010, 07:28 PM
All right, I'm opening up the role of C. Falcon to anyone who wishes to play it. If you're interested, post in here.