PDA

View Full Version : Starside 3 (teh Strategies)

:| Undying |:
02-02-2012, 06:44 PM
Yes, I'm creating a play-by-post strategy game that we can all play! At least 4 players are needed, and I will be posting the rules soon.

Players will be attempting to grab as many systems as possible in the Terelain Mercenary Conglomerate after an extreme-pay contract dispute plunged the criminal alliance into chaos. Assume control of one of the four well-estabilished clans, or create your own, and take advantage of the chaos to assert dominance over the organisation.

New players can join at any stage in the game on equal footing with current players, up to a maximum of 8 players. I will be updating this map as the game progresses:
http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq270/EmberFive/Starside%203/Anarchy%20in%20the%20TMC/AnarchyintheTMC01.png

02-05-2012, 03:00 PM
Starting up
Initially, 4 players each own 3 systems on the map, with 1 ship per system. The number of ships is typed in bright text.

Creating ships
At the start of a player's turn they get reinforcements of 1 ship per owned system. They can place these ships in any system they own. The absolute maximum number of ships you can have in play at any one time is 100, not including Capital Ships, and this will stop reinforcements. If the ship count drops, the player can recieve reinforcements again next turn.

Owning an entire Region grants extra reinforcements per turn. The extra values are:
Coreward: 5
Mercenary's Reach: 4
Central: 4
Alchad's Sweep: 3
Vikaatang Wastes: 4
High Corridor: 6
Gihua: 4

Moving, attacking and Forbidden Systems
In your turn, you can move ships into other systems. You can move as many times as you have ships to move. Systems have been given temporary names (H1, H2 etc.) for reference. The rules are:

Ships can move any distance throughout controlled systems.
Moving ships into a neutral system or a hostile system that has no ships in it will claim that system for you.
You can only move ships into systems linked by a jumpgate, indicated by the white lines.
You can only move ships into systems that neighbour your own at the start of the turn.
You cannot move ships into Forbidden Systems, filled with the stripe pattern. As more players join, these systems will be unlocked.

When moving ships into a system with an enemy fleet in it you will immediately start fighting. You will need a 6-sided die for this, or use the site: http://www.random.org/. The dice is rolled for each side, multiplying the result by the number of ships on each side. Whoever gets the higher value wins and the losing fleet is annihilated. If a defending fleet is destroyed, the attacker wins the system.

Capital ships
These sizeable and powerful warships are a huge boon to their accompanying fleet. A fleet with a capital ship gains +1 to it's dice roll when calculating battle outcomes. A fleet with multiple capital ships gains multiple bonuses! Their presence in a system is indicated by a downward arrow. However, they are lost if their fleet is destroyed.

Capital ships are obtained once every blue asteroid, when the A Blue Asteroid Appears! card is drawn.

Fortress systems
There are five fortress systems in the TMC. The system icon is given a white ring around it for these systems. They confer the same bonus as capital ships, a +1 to dice rolls. But they are static bonuses and will only benefit a defender.

Quantum Cards
The universe's true nature is fickle and unpredictable, and crazy nonsense occurs every day. Quantum Cards cause it. Players recieve a random Quantum Card at the start of their turn and use them at their discretion. The effects can be beneficial to you, detrimental to your opponent, or helpful in a special way.

You can use any number of Quantum Cards per turn but may not use more than 1 of the same type. The maximum you can hold at once is 5.

02-05-2012, 06:23 PM
So any interest?:sigh:

Char
02-06-2012, 04:40 AM
Can one play on this without being a master of a clan or warship? As in working under somebody instead?

Enigma
02-06-2012, 07:05 AM
Undying! You're back! Sure, I'd love to give this a go. Are the clans human or can we be alien races? I promise, no super tech.

We have a dice roller here. [ dice=1-5]1-30[/dice] (just remove the first space to roll the dice.
[dice0]
[dice1]
[dice2]
[dice3]
[dice4]

02-06-2012, 05:52 PM
Can one play on this without being a master of a clan or warship? As in working under somebody instead?
You want to role-play instead? OK.

Undying! You're back! Sure, I'd love to give this a go. Are the clans human or can we be alien races? I promise, no super tech.
The clans are already comprised of various non-humans. The Terelain, original colonisers of New Aerin, constitute the majority and dominate the leadership of the four clans already on the map. There are many other clans, some of which have a majority population of another species.

Alliances
Players can enter alliances with each other at any time, able to command each other's fleets as well as their own and combine them into bigger fleets. The overall fleet cap becomes 100 x the number of allies. They may also use each other's Quantum Cards. All access is at the discretion of each player, and they can refuse access to certain aspects or terminate the alliance.