PDA

View Full Version : Manikin: Dustland (Mech RP - OOC)

\/Ģin
02-27-2012, 10:33 AM
(A reboot of an RP I wrote over a year ago, but due to real life circumstances, I was unable to actually get started. So lets give this another shot :D )

Manikin: Dustland (Mech RP - OOC)

Six hundred years...

Six Hundred years...

The Battle for Earth has yet to end...

No end...

Blood has stained the Dustland for ages, but the sand always covets it's precious history. Covering the bones of hero's and instilling amnesia of time, a death to be forgotten. Yet mankind has continued the one past time that it never tires of, war. It runs in the veins of every man to taste blood, as if it is stronger than wine. The powerful smack their lips in pleasure, whilst the average over drink and pass on.

To presume that the Orbital Wars would've been a lesson for man, was foolish. We've learned nothing, we've regret nothing, and we've changed nothing but the world around us. Now the sky is always gray, the sun rarely peeks through, and the sandstorms blur the vision. A world made of wasteland.

Even so, there is a hope to be found. With the world's population falling under a few thousand, we're still breathing. This could only mean that some where in this barren world lies a paradise with grasslands and trees still holding together our atmosphere. Paradise is where we need to go, but how can we get there with the Akari always on our backs? Always making raids to take the last safe Haven on Earth, Redemption. Their goals are unclear and their reasons for wanting to take Redemption have something to do with the ruins beneath the Hive. Ruins sprawling for miles and miles with technology of the old world just waiting to be excavated. They know the Manikin Demons sleep somewhere in the ruins and they know that they're the key to finding Paradise.

We just haven't found them yet...

As the name implies, a Manikin is a hollowed representation of a human being in a statue form. This was the nickname given to the Mechs. Built in a bipedal shape resembling a man to increase maneuverability in high speed combat. Built to hold numerous weaponry, flying capabilities, and high tech radar/sensor technology, the Manikins were the elite weapon of the Orbital War.

The "Demon Manikins" is a reference to a legendary team of Manikin whom served as the Elite Force in the Orbital War. These individuals are historic and praised as the greatest pilots of their time. The Demon Manikins was the nickname given to their Prototype Manikins that were more powerful in every aspect than the average mech. The Demon Manikins are rumored to have been parked in a military base somewhere after the war and left there when the great disaster took place. It is believed that Redemption sits on the ruins that contain the Demons.

The Orbital War was a conflict over 600 years ago that took place in space. World powers broke into a war for control over the planet when resources began to dwindle thus leading to a battle above the planet in the cosmos surrounding Earth and Mars. Little is known other than the fact that Manikins were used as the primary fighting force and after the death of millions and a strange turn of battle, the world as we knew it was destroyed. Since then man has forgotten how we've come to be scavengers in the ruins of old tech.

In the Dustland sits the fortress of Redemption, a militant guarded stronghold of salvaged tanks and Manikins. Beneath Redemption is the hive, a spiraling city that stretches deep beneath the fortress that has been constructed over time by the inhabitants. The center opening is left unchanged due to the main Manikin hangars being at the bottom of the hive and the opening is used to launch manikins up through the center of the city if ever need be.

The city is mostly made of salvaged steel from the ruined cities. Citizens hand build their homes for the most part living in a somewhat poverty state and having to work for their food and water.

Beneath the hangars is the caverns, where the ruins of an old city sits. Although parts and weaponry are usually excavated, it is a military base containing the Demon Manikins that the people so desperately dig for.

The Men of this city commonly become salvagers digging in the ruins, but during attacks or major battles with the Akari, all men are Manikin pilots ready for battle. Females are welcomed to be pilots but aren't under requirement as the men are.

Players begin as an inhabitant of Redemption's Hive. You are an inhabitant and citizen inside the hive. Battles will come around and you will be called out to pilot Manikins on missions and so the storyline will progress. You may explore the hive and make up whatever you like as long as it is not major.

First though, you need to post your sheet.

Name:

Manikin (describe your Manikin):

Manikin Weapons(You do not have to fill them all, you must have at least one weapon however. Weapons may not be overpowerful, but can include Plasma, Laser, Machine Gun, Rifle, Sniper. etc.):
~~Right Hand:
~~Left Hand:
~~Right Shoulder:
~~Left Shoulder:
~~Chest:

Pilot Appearance:

Bio:

\/Ģin
02-27-2012, 10:33 AM
Name: Ray Xiphon

Manikin (describe your Manikin): Black framed with light weight legs and a medium strength torso. Specifically designed for fast movements and light weapons.

Manikin Weapons(You do not have to fill them all, you must have at least one weapon however. Weapons may not be overpowerful, but can include Plasma, Laser, Machine Gun, Rifle, Sniper. etc.):
~~Right Hand: Plasma Blade
~~Left Hand: X-34 Sub-Machine Gun
~~Right Shoulder: Temporary Shield Generator
~~Left Shoulder: Detachable explosive. Detaches entire arm as a proximity mine, can be used as a projectile if needed.
~~Chest:

Pilot Appearance: Ray is about 5'8 with green eyes and dark black hair. He has a young appearance and can be naive at times, but when serious he can seem much older than usual.

Bio: Ray is a descendant of one of the old Manikin Demons. Although he is unsure of what his great grandfathers name was or know much of him, the family insisted on pointing that out to Ray ever since he was a child. He was supposed to be the prodigy of the Xiphon family, but that dream fell through when he couldn't pass into the Elite Core. He is now mostly a salvager trying to get by and a soldier trying not to die.

Familiar
02-29-2012, 02:19 AM
Hmmmm... Post apocalypse giant robot RP?

I'll bite. Just let me know if the profile works! I tried to go for a slow and heavy loadout to go along with the rough theology of the character.

Name: Jim Vorilhon

Manikin (describe your Manikin): Jim’s Manikin is designed to be a walking tank, the entire thing kitted out with as much armour and weaponry as the scavenged technology is able to handle without collapsing under its own weight. Jet black over the entire machine, its heavy armour slows the robot down to a crawl, but allows it to simply shrug off all but the most brutal assaults. The most obvious armaments are two massive gauss cannons that are fitted to the shoulder blades of the weapon, jutting out well past the angular ‘head’ of the creature.

~~Right Hand: Flechette shotgun
~~Left Hand: 16 Barrel Minigun, 3mm sabot rounds.
~~Right Shoulder: Gauss Cannon, solid slugs (A magnetic projectile launching solid slugs via magnet coils at super-high speed.)
~~Left Shoulder: Gauss Cannon, explosive slugs
~~Chest: Microwave emitter

Pilot Appearance: Jim is a rather unassuming man, clean shaven and standing only 5”9, neither overly skinny nor highly muscled. His hair is a light brown, falling just short of blue eyes and kept trimmed neatly. Generally, he appears ‘normal’, generally wearing a small, caring, smile on his face, his eyes glinting with an inner fire. In terms of clothing, he wears clean button-up shirts and slacks, choosing to look slightly more professional than might be strictly necessary. The only part of his appearance that might be considered ‘unusual’ is a rather large necklace in the shape of a golden gear, something that he’s never seen without, even while showering or sleeping.

Bio: The really defining aspect of Jim’s life is, oddly, religion. Not one of the relatively commonplace remnants of the old world, but rather something far newer, smaller, and more dangerous, the ‘Machina’ cult. This is an organization that worships the remnants of the past, believing in the divine properties of the machines left behind by their forbearers, attributing a powerful soul to the technology, something that needs to be respected and treated with reverence. This stretches from the simplest of ancient power supplies to the near god-like entities that are the Manikins. Needless to say, his love and respect for the machines of the past has had a rather great effect on how Jim’s life has been lived. The machine gods needed to be sated, and the only thing that could quench the soul of a Manikin was blood, something that the religious zealot was only too happy to provide. As a result, Jim is one of the most active pilots on duty, routinely taking the spots of any others that were unable to make a sortie, his howls of bloodlust a rather routine sound over the Manikin radio.

\/Ģin
02-29-2012, 10:11 PM
Yea, I like that Familiar. Welcome aboard :)

The Bartender
03-01-2012, 07:33 AM
This should be fun! Made the Mecha an artillery-kind, staying out of the direct combat.

("Hive", could it be you thought about Resident evil while choosing the name?)

Name: May Firenez

Manikin (describe your Manikin): May's Manikin has been removed almost all armory because of the heavy weaponary it is equipped with. The Manikin is armed with a heavy, 100mm artillery cannon and with a long-range rocket launcher.
The Manikin is also equipped with strong hydraulic schock absorbers which are wery rare to see these days.
The Manikin itself is very petite built, with almost feminine forms, but has unbelivable high load capacity for it's size. It can still move with a speed of 10km/h and jump in a height of about 10 meters. Reload time for the Cannon and the Rocket launcer are not long, only 20 seconds for the cannon and 40 seconds for the rocket launcer, this makes it possible to fire a barrage of shots in short time as well as to use them in close-quater battle, even thought the shortest range able to shoot is 1km because of the range of the explosion.
May has also painted it new after it was ready and it is quiet strange indeed, pink.

~~Right Hand: Grip of the Artillery cannon
~~Left Hand: Grip of the Rocket Launcher
~~Right Shoulder: 100mm Artiller cannon ("Excalibur" ammunition with a shooting range of max. 60km) (deattachable)
~~Left Shoulder: High-range Rocket launcher (armed with "Paladin" frag-missiles with range of max. 35km) (deattachable)
~~Chest: Deattachable Titanium-Copper-Lead Shield

Pilot Appearance: May is a quiet admirable woman, with 6" height and only 95lbs. She has a long, pink-dyed hair falling down to her waist, dark green eyes and full,red lips. She is usually dressed into a tanktop, over it a leather jacket, hotpants and leather boots.

Bio: May Firenez is a strange person, or so does the people around see her. She likes to speak with herself and sometimes she suddenly starts to scream with no reason.
She doesn't have any goals in her life and just lives how she feels like, usually making trouble in the Hive and ending up in the prison cell for few days, she cannot be sealed off completely because of her amazing piloting skills and engineering knowhow. When needed, she helps the engineers of the Hive to maintain the Manikin or to desing completely new ones.

Quilty Spork
03-02-2012, 01:11 AM
This looks very interesting. But I hope I haven't gone overboard and made my manikin OP...

Name: Harry Cobalt

Manikin: Much like Harry himself, his manikin is lithe and wiry as it possesses little armour plating to allow for greater mobility. Unusually, the feet components of the manikin are fitted with a poorly understood magnetic repulsor technology. While much knowledge of how exactly the technology works has likely been lost, it can still be maintained. In essence, these repulsors allow Harry's manikin to 'skate' along the ground, hovering a few centimeters above it. This allows the manikin to move at tremendous speeds, and lends it remarkable maneuverability, but at the same time renders it extremely vulnerable to knockback should it be hit with sufficent force. Briefly overcharging these repulsors allows the manikin to 'jump' several meters into the air before crashing down again, potentially upon or away from an enemy.

The weapons loadout of the manikin is somewhat balanced. Given the light armour of the manikin, Harry prefers to stay far back and support with a shoulder-mounted sniper rifle. However, should enemies get too near or should the situation call for close quarters fighting, the manikin is equiped with two wrist-mounted flamerthrowers. On a high enough setting these flamers can potentially damage armoured targets if they are close enough, but they are more suited to dealing with infantry.

Manikin Weapons:
~~Right Hand: Flamerthrower
~~Left Hand: Flamerthrower
~~Right Shoulder: Sniper Rifle
~~Left Shoulder: N/A
~~Chest: Radar jammer

Pilot Appearance: Harry is slim and wirey, and stands around average height. He has messy, dark brown hair and somewhat sunken grey eyes. In general his face is quite gaunt and pale, with an unkempt patch of rough, dark stubble running along his jaw. Like many in the Dustland his clothes are old and ragged, but he can usually be identified by his worn-looking grey overcoat.

Bio: Harry is, and always has been facinated with the technology of the 'old world'. When he was young, he always held a keen interest in the occasional scraps of old technology that people would unearth within the Hive. While he, like practically everyone in the Dustland, lacks the education to actually understand how most of this technology actually works, he is quite adept at repairing it and often works as a mechanic for the Hive.

While Harry is by no means a particularly violently man, he eagerly takes combat assignments in his manikin, as these are ideal opportunities for him to test out and experience the technology of the manikins, as well as providing him the chance to discover potential pre-war technology while in the field.

Familiar
03-02-2012, 01:40 AM
SOMEONE's been playing Tribes Ascend xP

Quilty Spork
03-02-2012, 01:53 AM
SOMEONE's been playing Tribes Ascend xP

Haha. Honestly, I've never played it. But from what I've heard about how fast paced it is, I can see where you'd get that idea.

Familiar
03-02-2012, 01:58 AM
Lol, I was more latching onto the fact that your 'skating' was just about the exact same as the 'skiing' that the game is based around

Quilty Spork
03-02-2012, 02:02 AM
Lol, I was more latching onto the fact that your 'skating' was just about the exact same as the 'skiing' that the game is based around

Ah. I had no idea. Looks like I've been beaten to the punch then, lol.

If anything, I took the idea of skating mechs from Phantom Crash (an under-rated game) back on the original Xbox, although they used wheels.

Enigma
03-02-2012, 09:36 AM
Name: Igorina Elizabeth Bakhvalova - "Igor"

Manikin: Wrecker Unit - Dingy industrial yellow with blue/yellow diagonal stripes down each side and outlining edges.

Manikin Weapons:
~~Right Hand: Short-range Plasma cutter
~~Left Hand: Magnetic grapple
~~Right Shoulder: Plasma Pulse Cannon
~~Left Shoulder: Sandcaster 8 pack (creates a cloud of granular chaff-like material that reflects light and radio waves, interfering with optics, radar, laser & energy weapons.
~~Chest: Reinforced sloped armor plate

Pilot Appearance: This lady reminds you of a clever fox. She has slitted gray eyes that are like two silver coins. Her orange-red hair is kept short and spiky. She is short with a wiry build. Her skin is pale, with elaborate navy blue tattoo "sleeves" that cover her shoulders and upper arms, just above the elbow. A scar along the right jaw which she treats as a badge of honor. She has long-fingered hands and small feet. Her wardrobe is practical, usually coveralls with a tool belt.

Bio: "Igor" was born to a family of Manikin mechanics who have passed on their training through the generations, middle child of three daughters. Unlike her sisters, she followed her father into the garages, learning the family trade.

Her job is mostly support - shooting obscuring sand into the air and firing her pulse cannon at a distance, but she can be a mean infighter, using her magnetic grapple to keep hold of an enemy or a friend needing rescue while her plasma cutter goes to work slicing and dicing. Seldom without a bottle of homemade vodka.

The Bartender
03-02-2012, 09:42 AM
Nice work, now we already have two guys in storm, one in support and one mixed one.
People we have a Demon Manikin's decendant, a Zealot, an Manikin engineer and one mixed engineer.
This should be fun.

Insomnant
03-03-2012, 12:46 AM
Hmmm. Do you need- or rather, would you like- any additional players? I'm a big fan of mech RPs though they are rather rare and difficult to find. I have a question too, how human-looking are the Manikins? From humanoid/bipedal hunks of metal and machinery all the way to... could be mistaken for a human if seen at a distance without any frames of reference for size.

\/Ģin
03-04-2012, 06:18 PM
Familiar, Xan, Quilty, and Enigma...nice work guys. I like the detail you all put into your character sheets and how (it seems) you already know what kind of Mechs fit into this RP xD. Welcome Aboard, I will be getting this going pretty quick.

Insomnant, yes, we can always use another person.

Now, Manikins are the bipedal style of mechs and if you need a reference to a resembling mech in video games, check out the "Zone of the Enders" mech style or the "Eureka Seven" style (minus the board) and you can pretty much see the way manikins are going to look.

Also, they can look like Xenogears mechs too.

Kris
03-04-2012, 10:40 PM
Why not submit this RP for Roleplay of the Week (http://www.role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=905) or put it in the Roleplaying Games Directory (http://www.role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2304) or click here (http://www.role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3975) to help attract players?

Insomnant
03-05-2012, 02:18 AM
Hmmn... admittedly not really the sort of mechs I enjoy. I'm more of a fan of the tactical, slow mech combat ā la Battletech or Chromehounds. Thanks though.

The Bartender
03-05-2012, 09:12 AM
I like those with much humanoid features and fast...

Ladaron
03-08-2012, 07:24 AM
hope u got room im posting a cs anyway if you don't!

GraftRaven
03-08-2012, 05:01 PM
At the moment I'm about full up on RPs... though if time frees up I will definitely jump on it (provided you'll be willing to get someone new after you've already started :P).

Absolutely delighted to see it back.

Ladaron
03-09-2012, 04:46 AM
Name: Thomas caldwell

Manikin (describe your Manikin): Crimson coat of paint small then most Manikin for better speed and maneuverability. Four jets set inside the the calfs two scram jets tucked inside the wings. The Manikin has a series of flaps on its shoulders the outside area of it thighs and the side of the Manikin pop out to slow it down or quickly change direction. designed for speed and close up combat this Manikin was made to get up close and into the battle lightly armor the Manikin tends to stay moving in battle to avoid attacks.
~~Right Hand: patch work sword made off different piece of metals found around the salvage yard
~~Left Hand: Plasma axe
~~Right Shoulder: brake flaps
~~Left Shoulder: brake flaps
~~Chest: self destruct bomb

Pilot Appearance: 6'1 brown skin low cut hair, athletic build he has a a burn scar on the left half of his face, wears a dark green shirt with black sweat pants and a pair of tan boots.

Bio: Thomas lost his in family when a attacked happen on a scavenger trip losing his daughter he was rescued at the by a Manikin that seem to skate on the sand with such speed and grace. After that day Thomas became a pilot devoting his life to saving others

\/Ģin
03-10-2012, 04:32 PM
(Sorry for late reply :) Been slammed with GED testing the last few days, finally done lol. I'll probably be getting this started today.)

Ladaron, accepted. Welcome aboard :D!

And X, sure! You can join at anytime, we'll just devise a way to bring you in.

Ladaron
03-10-2012, 05:49 PM
thanks and that test is easy i took it a couple of years ago

Ladaron
03-12-2012, 01:23 AM
when is ic?

The Bartender
03-12-2012, 03:38 PM
hopefully soon.

\/Ģin
03-15-2012, 12:31 AM
Sorry. Writing IC now.

\/Ģin
03-15-2012, 12:37 AM
http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27735&p=901826#post901826

:)

\/Ģin
04-02-2012, 11:30 PM
Alright, posted.

The layout of Redemption is as follows.

The city is a cylinder shaped stronghold made of salvaged steel and other junk. The main part of the city lies beneath the surface of the dustland (underground) where it continues to spiral towards the bottom where the Manikin hangars exist.

Basically, the spiral is where markets and doorways into houses or other establishments align the walls. Keep in mind that the houses we're talking about aren't full sized homes, but rather a door in the side of the spiral's wall that leads into an excavated room that has been decorated or fixed up for living. Due to lack of space, some homes have more than one residing family.

When Manikins take off or return to Redemption, they go in/out through docks situated at the top of the spiral, where they then ascend or descend through the middle of the city spiral.

The hangar area is built in the center of the ancient and buried city that is being excavated.

Potatrobot
04-16-2012, 01:53 AM
This looks very interesting. Could I fill a sheet?

The Bartender
04-16-2012, 03:16 PM
If it me who could decide, then... -yes-(Fuck)

Potatrobot
04-19-2012, 12:05 AM
Possible to get a reply from \/Ģin, then? It's been a while. I have a sheet prepared.

The Bartender
04-19-2012, 01:58 PM
Well... this RP is quiet slow-moving so it cuuld take a while, but it is alive.

Potatrobot
04-20-2012, 12:47 AM
I'll post my sheet anyway to save time.

Name: Max

Manikin: X.C.A.V.8.O.R (X Class Automaton Version 8 Ore Removal). A 6 metre tall humanoid robot, blocky and black and yellow, it looks like it was built using the parts of several excavators. Its chest and legs are very thick, designed to hold its weight and more. The soles of its feet are two caterpillar tracks, its right arm is set higher than its left and is pretty much the digging arm from an excavator, rotated to look more like a human arm. Its right hand can easily assume a scoop-like shape. Its left arm however is a more modest looking limb, even if it is quite bulky. Its bottom jaw is also a small scoop, giving it a sort of under-bite. The head itself is black and square-ish, and houses the optics and loudspeakers that allow Max to see what it sees and speak through its mouth, abet with a low, grinding, resounding voice.

Because of its bulk, E.X.C.A.V.8.O.R can tank massive amounts of damage, at least long enough to get close to the enemy. The caterpillar tracks on its feet allow the manikin to skate at a moderate pace along the ground, instead of its usual heavy jog. The right arm, with the scoop-hand equipped, can shove huge amounts of soil and debris away with apparent ease. The weapons it totes are all short range, with the hand mounted weapons simply taken from excavators. The electronic equipment is pre-war, and the most advanced systems are fashioned out of the electronics from the digging vehicles. Therefore the manikin is actually low-tech (in comparison to other manikins), and lacks any sort of flight capability.

Manikin Weapons:
~~Right Hand: Interchangeable between different (usually excavator mounted) tools that replace its hand: a drill, a jack-hammer and a large circular saw.
~~Left Hand: None.
~~Right Shoulder: Not shoulder mounted, but rather just hung on the shoulder. A large sand-blaster, requires both hands to carry (this means that he can't have a hand weapon equipped).
~~Left Shoulder: Not shoulder mounted either. A short range (but huge) shotgun that fires bits of rock and debris, also carried with both hands.
~~Chest: None.

Pilot Appearance: Max is 5'8", with straight, dark brown hair, dark brown eyes and a pale complexion. He is somewhat of a brain, and is rather thin. He wears baggy jeans, an old t-shirt and a huge pair of goggles that he wears on his forehead, under his fringe. His feet are always stuffed into dirty old conies, with a picture of a Martian Tripod painted on the side of one.

Bio: Max was always curious about the manikins. He would always day dream about them and the battles they fought. To his sheer luck, he stumbled upon an old warehouse full of pre-war digging vehicles and an old manikin frame. He then made it his personal goal to resurrect the manikin. Because he was no way near strong enough to dismantle the excavators, he used other excavators to hold the manikin and other parts in place. If there was one thing he was good at, it was configuring old electronics. He plans of scavenging the weaponry from other broken manikins and reconfiguring them into proper ranged weapons for his own manikin.

The Bartender
04-20-2012, 02:33 PM
A Bagger!!!! A Bagger with teeth!!!

Potatrobot
04-20-2012, 09:03 PM
Sort of, yeah. A humanoid Bagger. I really wish this one was a lot more fast-paced.

SeoulDancer
04-21-2012, 05:44 AM
May i join?

(working on a C.S anyway)

-I sadly finished before anyone could respond so i am posting it now-

Manikin (describe your Manikin): This Manikin was designed for Long-
range defense. By using the Long-range Sniper (laser) causes a lot of
recoil to the Manikin itself. The Gauntlet on the Manikin help
reduce the recoil given to the Manikin.The body frame was designed for
adsorbing damage.

Manikin Bio: This Manikin was a failed project of the ultimate
defense system. This Manikin was failed because of its unnatural
shield generating process. If the equipped shields broke from the
damage it would quickly repair it faster than the normal Shield
Generators. Many people believed that it was irregular to have a
different Manikin from the blueprints so they discarded this Manikin.

Manikin Weapons(You do not have to fill them all, you must have at
least one weapon however. Weapons may not be overpowerful, but can
include Plasma, Laser, Machine Gun, Rifle, Sniper. etc.):

~~Right Hand:Long range Sniper (Laser)
~~Left Hand: Gauntlet reduces recoil when gun is shot
~~Right Shoulder: Temporary Shield Generator
~~Left Shoulder: Temporary Shield Generator
~~Chest: emergency repair system (Self only for Emergency 1 time use
until renewed/repaired)

Pilot Appearance:Alter Arcainius has medium length hair that reaches to his Chin. His hair color is white with the hint of blue. His eyes are also sky blue. His face and body has a hint of feminine. His height is- 4'9 and his weight is- 101.2

Bio:Alter Arcainius was and is a strange person. He was always out of
the crowds. He got his 1st Manikin (The one right now) from his
grandfather who was an elite scientist for the Ultimate defense
project.Many other people killed his family to regain the Failed
Manikin. Alter was skilled at Piloting and Air maneuver so he easily
passed the hunter for the Failed Manikin. He is basically a wanted boy
who is chased by Hunters to get the Failed Manikin.

(Feel free to correct me on any parts)
(my internet failed me 1 so i have to save this)

Potatrobot
04-28-2012, 05:30 AM
Can SeoulDancer and I get a response? It's been over a week since we submitted our sheets, longer for me.