PDA

View Full Version : (M)Armageddon(IC)

John
02-15-2010, 06:01 AM
Are you sitting comfortably? Then we'll begin.

The contestants were huddled together in the dim light of the television monitor at the side of the stage. They were all anticipating the game to come. Each of them confident that they would be the one to walk away with the prize. They had already adorned the uncomfortable VR compatibility suit that would allow them enter the virtual world. They each wore a nametag and had a key card hanging around their neck on a piece of string.

The stage was lit and had ten VR pods on it, each with a microphone stand in front of it. There was no live audience, as the show was broadcast to another studio where the host and audience would watch the proceedings. A single camera was in front of the stage and it moved on it’s own, controlled by operators in the studio where the host was. The only other person in the studio was the director, Anne, a rather short lady with glasses and a penchant for coffee. A penchant which was making her quite jittery. Anne moved in front of the contestants and her footfalls echoed throughout the room

“Welcome to Armageddon.” Anne began. “In a few moments the show will begin. When the host calls for the contestants you will each proceed one at a time, to the microphone corresponding to the number you have been given. Please note that no metal is allowed in the VR pods due to the interference it may cause. Also remember not to lose the plastic key around your neck. This is the only way to retrieve your belongings from the lockers you were provided. Please remember to be enthusiastic and energetic when introducing yourself.”

With the last word said by Anne, the screen came to life with the sound of upbeat music, accompanied by a scene of spotlights moving against a red curtain. A voice began to speak, not unlike a DJ. in the types of clubs frequented by men in the later hours.

“Good afternoon to all our viewers in America and annexed Canada. The NNA in association with Gypsynaz Productions, are proud to present the number one show in America, Armageddon!!!!!” The word Armageddon had a reverb effect to it and echoed loudly throughout the studio. “Our show is brought to you by Fusionex Batteries. When a hundred years isn’t long enough, trust Fusionex!!. And now lets introduce our host. A man so quick he’s fast asleep”, the sound of laughter accompanied these words. “The man of the hour… Barry Burkowitz.

The tall good looking man bounded into view, smiling.

“Thanks Johnny. I am Barry Burkowitz and I must admit I haven’t been able to sleep at all lately.” his expression was concerned.

“Why’s that Barry?” the announcer’s voice could be heard on the monitor.

“Well Johnny. I’ve just been so excited about what we have in store for our contestants.” He was smiling again. “Before we get stared we will go over the rules. Our contestants will be placed into their VR pods. Through the use of the interface suits they will be dropped into a virtual where they. will try to be the last person standing and walk away with cash and prizes valued at over one hundred thousand dollars. Including a new car.”

At this point an attractive woman walked into the view pushing a big wheel in front of her. Barry continued to speak.

“It appears our wheel is out, so let’s give it a spin and find out what our contestants have in store today.”

With that, the woman pulled down hard on the wheel and it began to rotate quickly. The pointer on the top of the wheel clacked loudly against the wooden pegs which separated the different scenarios. The wheel slowed and the pointer came to rest on …

“DEATH MATCH!!” Barry’s words reverberated through the studio. “Our contestants will be placed into a virtual simulation of Los Angeles. Weapons and armour will be made available to them and the last person standing will win our prize.” He paused for a moment. “We also have a two special treats for the contestants today. First, somewhere in the virtual world are we have placed a rocket launcher with six rockets. The contestant who finds this weapon will have a serious advantage over the others. And as a special treat, we have a special prize for the contestant who scores the first kill. Johnny tell them all about it!!!”

The music began playing again and the announcer started to speak enthusiastically, pictures of a tropical beach were showing on the screen.

“You and a guest will fly round trip courtesy of America Airlines to HAWAII. There you will spend seven fabulous days and nights on a Carnivale cruise ship and tour the islands. With stops in Wai ki ki, Maui and Honolulu, You will enjoy the warm sun and picturesque scenery the islands have to offer while partaking in the rich Hawaiian culture. From America Airlines and Carnivale Cruises , score the first kill and it will be yours.

Barry came back into view on the screen.

“Sounds great Johnny.” He paused again, A large smile came appeared on his face.

“And now without further ado. Let’s meet our contestants!!”

John was the first to introduce himself. He had dark brown hair with flecks of grey, the only sign of his true age. At first glance most people thought he was in his mid to late twenties. He ran across the stage to the microphone stand and introduced himself.

“Hi everybody!!” He was excited, but his tone denoted someone who was extremely nervous. “My name is John Doe. I am a bartender form Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. I love to mix drinks and am ready to mix it up with the other contestants right now!!” It wasn’t a very good joke and he knew it. It was a defence he used when he was nervous. After he finished speaking, he stood beside his assigned pod and waited for the next contestant.

Cookies Ahoy
02-15-2010, 06:47 AM
The pandemonium in the room was building around Starr. It wasn't an uncommon feeling to her, she had experienced it when she was doing theatre performances. That, like other things, came to a stop that she couldn't control. It was mostly due to her size, almost any actor dwarfed Starr, who stood at five feet tall. Her small size had also caused her to be brought into the studio earlier than most just to size her virtual reality suit, petite wasn't a common size with the company that made the VR suits. Eventually, the director, Anne, came up to the contestants and told them things they had been told hundreds of times already. Starr listened very little as she finished touching up her hair in a small mirror, she felt it was important to look as perfect as possible on her first TV debut.

The voice of DJ began to reverberate around the walls of the room. The show had begun. Starr bit her lip as she watched a woman bring out a wheel and spin it. The wheel landed on deathmatch, which, from what her friends told her, was the most difficult of games on the show. Starr scratched at the uncomfortable suit she was in as she mulled over the reasons she even entered to be on the show. She needed money to help her pay for college, if she won, Starr could sell the car and hopefully pay for all of her college with the money. She was at a large disadvantage though, her parents had sheltered her from any sort of weapon when she grew up, and she had only practiced with a few different types of firearms at a range two weeks before the show.

Calm down. Just calm down and remember your line you prepared. Wait... What was that line? Starr was getting out of her comfort zone.

The first contestant came onto the stage, introduced himself, and delivered a very corny joke.

At least he set the bar low, Starr joked in her head.

Coming onto the stage at a speedy walk, the camera was tilted down slightly, Starr put on the brightest smile she could muster, "What's up America? I'm Starr Davis, a freelance photographer outta Santa Cruz, California. I'm going to show these other contestants how we do things up in Norcal!" Starr finished with a lot of energy in her voice, pumping both arms as she jumped in the air.

That went better than expected...

Starr walked over to her pod, number two, with a bounce in her step.

Ghexn
02-15-2010, 02:41 PM
As the music began to reverbarate off of the walls and the host started to speak, Paul thought about how he had ever gotten into this. He needed the money of course to help pay for all of the equipment his job and hobby required, but there was also the new prize for the first kill. Seven days in Hawaii with one other person was sounding very good right now to him, seeing as he hadn't really interacted with anyone other then the other people he worked with in a long time.

If I can win that at least, maybe I can turn my luck around with people.

He turned his attention back to the stage as the first and second contestants ran out onto the stage. He vaguely listend to each of their introductions in turn and then realized that it was now his turn to run out onto the stage and give an introduction. Computer programming codes started to flash in his head, which was what always happened when he got nervous. He took a deep breath and ran out.

Well, Here goes nothing.

He ran out with as much enthusiasm as he could in his nervous state and stood in front of the mic. "Hey everybody out there, I'm Paul Jackson, A computer programmer from San Fran California and I plan to blow the competition away!" He then moved off to his pod and waited.

Yoruyonaka
02-16-2010, 03:43 AM
Rissa stepped on stage after hearing her name called. Why was someone like her entering this death show with a house and supportive dad? For one thing only, her mom. During these times money was difficult. Rissa's father only had enough money to help pay for college, the house, and food. Recently her mother has come down with lung cancer, but can't pay all the medical bills. If she doesn't help with her mother's bills, the doctors will put her into Hospice, or when they take a person off of Chemotherapy.

This is the only way, Rissa thought stepping on stage. This is for mom.

Rissa knew for sure her mom would be watching with tears pouring out. With strong determination, Rissa had to be strong. Knowing from the beginning how these type of games worked, Rissa had to act differently in front of others before the show. She had been acting sweet and like a normal girl, but what the others didn't know was her mean temper and quickness. Rissa thanked her father for the karate she took three years ago. She had gone over many of it before starting this. It also helped to have friends who always played military or shooting games to get an idea of weaponry. What was also good was to have a thing for knifes and fire.

Rissa made her face turn into a smile as she walked in front of the crowd and thought, first step is to act different from average self, second appear weak but smart, third gain allies, and fourth never succumb to a friendship, or your screwed Rissa.

Rissa walked in front of the crowd and to the mic. "Hi there," she spoke in a shy tone purposefully. "I'm Rissa Press from Newport Beach, CA an aspiring artist and movie director. Let me paint a picture that will have you dazzled." She gave a final shy smile and small wave and moved to her pod.

Hell will feel worse once these bastards see the real me.

Security of Mem
02-16-2010, 04:29 AM
Sitting backstage wasn't ideal for Jericho. It wasn't the fact that he had to wait his turn. In no way was he impatient or rushy. He was simply realing information in his head. Many of the other contestants he was sure was watching him as his mouth formed in smiles. As if he was practicing charm and wit. He put his hand up as if to wave. He was simply glad he had chosen to sit in the darken corner, so not everyone was watching him.

Many had watched him walk in here with a crooked smile. Only to those fans and other people like the director did he smile. When he was alone his face was solemn and serious. He bit his lip several times, of course trying not to actually cut it. He was fiddling with his hands as well. He looked far more nervous then someone who was use to be on the stage should be. He was shaking his leg in anxiety and he was looking at the floor. It wasn't as if he were nervous about the show. He was nervous to know if he actually, well was ready to lie once again.

He took another breath as he watched the members speak as they willed and pleased. Thirty seconds and the director earlier had confronted him about singing. It's what the fans want. It's what the fans want. It was soon his turn as he watched the person before him go. He swallowed his spit hard, took a moment to breathe. Closed his eyes and listened to the words. His heart was pounding and he could hear it in his ears. He feared he wouldn't hear the words because his heart was beating so fast.
You are Streaks, Opera, Sing Passion
It was all rolling through his head. He fidgeted a little in his chair.

The girl who introduced herself as Rissa went. It was his turn. He heard the crowd give an applaud to her. He took a breath brushed his hair back and listened to the announcer.
"Thank you Rissa," he paused, “Ladies and Gentlemen, today we have a special treat for you. Our next contestant is one the world’s most acclaimed opera singers and will be joining the contestants in the VR world. And tonight, he is going to sing for us. So ladies and gentlemen it gives me great pleasure to introduce The White Angel of Opera, Jericho Streak!”

Jericho walked out of backstage. His expression look so much different from the man behind the curtain. He was smiling, he seemed charming and almost in love. The crowd applauded with warm enthusiasm. And those fans of opera clapped the loudest. Jericho seemed much less anxious, he seemed like a young man who enjoyed life.
"Wow thank you," Jericho said, "I appreciate the applause I am Jericho Streaks, the pleasure is mine."
As he said his name and introduced himself the crowd roared with excitement.
"And I'm suppose to sing for you, so let me begin," Jericho said.
Jericho held the mic to his mouth and began to sing (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMN5GJnYjrk).

After his song the crowd appluaded he bowed and took his leave to where the VR pods were.

Merry
02-16-2010, 04:33 AM
Penny waited patiently, casually wiping a piece of non-existent thread from her suit, using it as an excuse to look around at her fellow contestants while waiting for her number to be called. They didn’t seem like too much to look at. She looked perfect and she knew it. No thanks to that cow of a makeup girl out back. Penny had let the girl do what she wanted, at first while the stage director was within earshot. Once he had moved out of range, she had grabbed the girls hand, with a sneer in her voice, and in no uncertain terms told her to leave. That she was a hack and really shouldn’t be allowed to work with anyone in show business. She doubted the girl would take her advice, but she certainly wasn’t touching Penny’s hair anymore. That was for certain.

She glanced at the competition again and quickly sized them up. She wasn’t impressed. They were all here for the money and the prizes, and that was just fine. She would get as much camera time as possible, and if she won in the end, even better. They would remember her, and she would be America’s sweetheart. They all looked like regular people. Nothing special, no one memorable, just normal people. How boring. They could be people standing in line at the local movie theater. She was star quality material through and through. This game was her ticket out of normal life. She did feel a brief twinge of concern, very brief, when the wheel stopped on Death Match, but they couldn’t be serious. Right? I mean, killing a beautiful person usually wasn’t the way things went. Kill the mousy girl, or the computer geek. No one would really even notice. The beautiful people always win in the end.

Number 6, you’re up The stage hand signaled her.

Moving into the spotlight, putting on her most dazzling smile, her eyes sparkling in the brightness of the overhead lights. Then looking directly into the camera and giving a little wave “Hi, I’m Penny, and I can’t even tell you how excited I am to be here. This is my first game show, and I know it’s going to be just super! I’m really looking forward to getting started.” Purposely not revealing anything about herself, she stepped back into line, keeping the smile firmly in place until the camera had moved away.

Kirra
02-16-2010, 03:38 PM
Dan was trying to relax back stage as the others got prepared. He was dressed and ready for a while now. His normal black dress shirt and black cargo pants where already pressed and cleaned. The hair and makeup crew simply passed him over. He simply smiled at them and shrugged. It wasn't like he would like the makeup anyway. It often caused him to get itchy.

They had some nice food for the contestants to snack on while they waited. Dan had just finished eating a very pleasant tuna fish sandwich. He picked up a napkin and whipped of his lips. "That was good. My complements to the chef." He listened as they chose the game. 'A death match." Dan watched his competition with little worry. Each one making silly comments as they where called on stage. The last girl seemed like she would be especially easy to beat. But looks could be deceiving.

"Alright big guy. You're up next." The stage hand waved to the stage.

Dan walked forward into the all to bright spotlight. 'I need to do this for the money.' He put on a brave face, smiled and walked up to the host waving. The announcer looked up at Dan. "Well you're a big guy aren't you. Why don't you introduce your self." Dan smiled and rubbed the back of his head. "Well my name is Dan, and I just want to say good luck to everyone in the competition." With that Dan walked over to the pod and waited.

Campster J.
02-18-2010, 04:15 AM
Aaron sighed as they called his name to be up on stage. He stood up and kicked his legs loose. He started running a little and jumped onto the stage doing back flips. Aaron smiled as the crowd ooed and awed at his flips in the air. As he landed his last flip he slipped on a puddle of sweat and fell down the a big thump. The crowed broke out into laughter as he fell on stage.

Even the two introducers laughed at the little shenanigan act. Aaron got up in a quick and smooth movement that looked practiced for a long time. Even before Barry asked what his name Aaron spoke, "Name's Aaron Johnson folks and I am a sensei who will kick all of your asses if you try me! Going to show up these people who the Chinese kick it up old school." With that he left with a smile on his face.

As he reached his pod number his smile broke down and his sweat started to pour down on him as he waited for the poor sucker that was last. His whole act was for people to like him and he hoped that it worked out fine. Aaron wiped off the sweat with his sleeve and stood awaited for the challenges.

Lerouge
02-18-2010, 07:17 AM
Andrew stood quietly in the corner of the dressing room, his arms crossed in front of him as his right foot leaned back against the wall. His light brown eyes stared at the floor as the heel of his right foot tapped nervously against the concrete behind him. "You are going to be on in 5 minutes Mr. Dominick..." came the voices from one of the show's assistants before she rushed off to do one of the many things she had to do. It had been quite some time since he had been this nervous, he wasn't one to get rattled so easily but this was the first time he had made a big a step as this in his life.

"1 minute Mr. Dominick, I hope you have something interesting to say." She said once again with the trace of tears in her eyes from recent laughter. He rolled his eyes and stood up straight, his hands shaking slightly as he sunk them into his back pockets palm out. This was a silly habit he had picked up from a show in his younger days and as his body leaned forward slightly his arms relaxed beside him. At first the position make look weird, but the fact was it looked extremely comfortable at the same time. Old habits die hard was the only way to explain it.

His eyes looked up onto the stage where the announcer was standing and smiling at him widely waving his hand to indicate for him to come out. Andy gave a gulp followed by a deep sigh before taking his hands and jogging onto the stage, leaping slightly in spot as he waved his hand at the audience. It had been years since he had been on stage and the bright lights calmed him slightly, specially since it made it impossible for him to see any of the people staring at him. "Well don't just jump around why don't you introduce yourself."

"Oh... umm... I'm Andrew... people call me Andy Dominick... umm Dominick is the last name..." He shuttered slightly as he spoke causing a chuckle to escape from the crowd and his face replying by turning bright red. "Ya Andy and I'm here to kick some butt in this competition!" He said rather loudly before running off to wait over by his pod cursing at himself mentally for his stupid introduction. "Well... here goes nothing."

The Gypsy Queen
02-18-2010, 08:03 AM
Lory leaned against a wall, wishing she could smoke. She had been very sternly informed that smoking was prohibited in the studio and she could not leave in the VR suit, which was just as uncomfortable as she remembered. If it hadn’t been for the threat of layoffs at the foundry and her mother’s increasing need for an operation, she never would have agreed to come back to this televised circus.

She’d never given much thought to why she’d won the first time or any of the following ones, and she’d never understood why she had proven so popular. And when a crew worker had asked if she had some kind of strategy, she hadn’t had a response. She’d just been determined last time, and hitting things with a sledgehammer had felt natural.

As she thought about it, it occurred to her that maybe it was the brutality of bludgeoning enemy players to death with a hammer that had made her so popular. Which was a bit sick. But she could work with that.

Barry, that stuck up belle of a man, announced a Death Match. That was fine by Lory, though she figured it was just her luck. Another Death Match. She didn’t listen to anything about the prizes because none of it mattered to her – she was here to win, and all she wanted was the cash it gave her.

She’d watched her opponents. She was never the sort to go after the weakest first. She preferred to eliminate the biggest threat first. She thought that might be the jujitsu guy, or possibly the wilderness guide. She knew better than to underestimate the girls either, and reckoned she would want to get rid of the fussy actress who’d bossed the make-up girl around quickly. She could work out what to do from there.

The last contestant introduced himself and Lory felt bad. She wasn’t going to like killing that one. But she ignored it. She was focusing, putting on her game face. It was almost time. She could almost hear Barry gearing himself up as well.

“ Ladies and gentleman.” Barry’s voice had taken on ring announcer quality, as if at a boxing match. “ It is time for us to present to you, the Armageddon champion. The only player to have ever been undefeated through seven shows, she hold the record for most kills in a single game with ten. Now she’s back and putting the championship on the line. Ladies and gentlemen, join with me now in welcoming back to the show… The Queen of the Deathmatch… The one…The only… Lory 'The Hammer' Mikalaj!”

The sound of the crowd could be heard roaring over the speakers as Lory stepped out, totting the sledgehammer she’d been given as a stage prop on her shoulder. She gave Barry a curt nod and turned to look at the camera, smiling a bit.

“ I won’t waste your time. You know who I am. You know what I do. So let’s do it.”

And on that note, she turned and headed to her pod, resting her hammer against it.

Barry guided the show to a commercial break, which was the cue for the pods to open and for the contestants to scramble in. Lory always thought they didn’t design the things for short people to climb into. She listened to the first part of Barry greeting returning viewers as the commercials ended as the pod slid shut, blocking off all sound. But she knew from experience he was explaining the Death Match rules.

However, Barry was explaining more than that.

“ Now that the contestants are in their pods, it will take a few moments for them to be loaded into the simulation. I would like to tell the viewers at home about a little surprise we have in store for the contestants. As you all know, Deathmatch usually involves just the contestants, but today the city area will be teeming with life. We have created virtual people in the simulation. Some of which are armed and hostile. These sims will not count as kills for the contestants, but if any contestant is killed by one of them, they will be out of the game.” Barry paused for a moment. He appeared to be looking at a monitor off camera. “Well it appears our contestants have been loaded into the simulation. Let the games begin!”

For Lory, the pod hummed to life and she was surrounded in a swirl of colors. After the usual sense of vertigo, she found herself in a gray room filled with shelf after shelf of every weapon imaginable. Lory barely paused to glance at the sign in front of her that read:

Welcome contestant. The room you are in is the armoury. The weapons and armour here at your disposal. Take as much as you can carry. Once you exit this room you will not be allowed to enter it again. Take note that other ammo and weapons are scattered about the playing field, if you know where to look. Good luck!

Lory picked up the duffel bag at her feet and began to load it up right away. Although she did favor her hammer, and found one within easy reach, she knew better than to rely on it alone. She loaded up on ammo, buckshot and high caliber mostly, a pair of shotguns, one of them a sawed off, plenty of grenades and mines, a pair of Glock pistols, and an Uzi for distance. The VR had put her in a Kevlar vest and a white tank top with her overalls. She tucked the sawed off and a Glock in her overalls belt, put the other shot gun with the Uzi, the other Glock, and the ammo in her duffel bag, and slung the heavy bag over her chest. The ammo and grenades were heavy but she was used to the weight. Finally, she slung her sledgehammer over her shoulders in her trademark fashion, marching for the door.

Just like always, she found herself in a building. She saw a flight of stairs leading downward and started down the stairs. She didn’t hurry, she knew better than to exhaust herself. She also knew that she had to be careful. The other contestants would be spawning any moment and could spawn anywhere in the ten block game field. Which was why she liked to cover her tracks.

Reaching what appeared to be a ground floor, Lory froze, listening. She could hear what appeared to be voices outside.

So soon?! She thought to herself, a bit worried as she slunk back behind the stairs, craning her neck to look out the windows of the buildings. The people she saw did not look like any of the contestants she remembered. Lory blinked. There were probably five and they were just lingering around the front of the building.

Blinking, Lory decided they must not be players. The producers must have put in decoys… non-player things. She wasn’t sure what to call them, she never played many games. Quickly assessing the risk, she moved away from the front of the building, quietly sliding out a back door into an empty alley and leaving a mine on the door for good measure.

She worked her way quietly through the back alleys, still processing the presence of the non-players. She wasn’t sure what to make of them or if they were even hostile. Finally, she located one alone and decided to test the theory.

She paused to check the roof tops for snipers and the narrow street for other contestants. Satisfied the coast was clear except for her subject, she approached him confidently. He didn’t say anything or even show emotion, simply turned and charged her with a knife with a programmed air. Lory had her answer, and did not waste any ammo. She lowered her duffel to the ground and levied her hammer, bringing down off her shoulder in a powerful swing as he got near enough. The hammer connected with his lower neck and shoulder with a sickening crack. She followed her swing through, pushing him to the ground where the force of the hammer against asphalt pummeled the non-player’s virtual spine.

Lory had virtual blood on her virtual boots and really wanted a smoke. This would be an interesting game.

John
02-18-2010, 08:04 AM
John lay in the pod and could see colours swirling all around him. After a moment, he found himself standing in a room. It was a room which held every weapon imaginable along with different types of clothing. He noticed that he was now wearing the clothes he had been wearing when he first arrived at the studio. He looked around the room and saw the sign on the wall which read:

“Welcome contestant. The room you are in is the armoury. The weapons and armour here at your disposal. Take as much as you can carry. Once you exit this room you will not be allowed to enter it again. Take note that other ammo and weapons are scattered about the playing field, if you know where to look. Good luck!”

John smiled at this. From the time he had spent watching the show he knew the other contestants were in similar rooms and each of them were inside one of the buildings in the simulation. This was his favourite show after all and he already knew exactly what he was going to do. He picked up a duffle bag from the floor and began to choose his weapons. Into the bag he put several grenades and mines as well as a high powered sniper rifle and an Uzi, along with a good supply of ammo for each. He saw a black leather trench coat, which was inlaid with Kevlar. hanging on a hook. Putting it on, John grabbed the bag and proceeded out the door.

As soon as the door closed behind him it disappeared. John was standing in a hallway with a set of stairs at either end. He went to the stairs and descended to the entrance of the building. In front of the door, he placed one of the mines and activated it. He started to walk back up the stairs, placing mines at various intervals , until he came to the door that led to the roof of the building. Placing one more mine, he stepped out into the open air.

John was surprised by the sound that greeted his ears. He could hear people on the streets. It appeared that the producers of the show had changed the rules. He walked over to the edge of the roof and looked out onto the city scene. People were walking up and down the street, some were even talking to each other. Bringing the scope of the rifle to his eye, he examined the people more closely. He could see that some of them were armed. It looked like his strategy was paying off. If he had of gone out the door to the street, he most certainly would have been shot. He placed the rifle on the edge of the roof, and looking through the scope, waited for the other contestants to appear.

Merry
02-18-2010, 08:15 PM
Penny closed her eyes, she hated that disorienting feeling while the virtual took over. It always made her nauseous. Thinking about that last intro made her a little tense. Best stay away from that one at all costs. She was a scene stealer for sure. Who cares if she won already. Seriously, it was just a game. Sledgehammers were just so unlady like anyway. What a way to be remembered. Some butch chick with a weapon. Well everyone had an angle to exploit their situation. You did have to grant her that, she did get the most applause after all. Penny sneered, for now anyway. Soon the applause would all be for me, she grinned.

“Welcome contestant. The room you are in is the armory. The weapons and amour here at your disposal. Take as much as you can carry. Once you exit this room you will not be allowed to enter it again. Take note that other ammo and weapons are scattered about the playing field, if you know where to look. Good luck!”

Opening her eyes at the speech, and looking around. Taking in the room, the weapons, then glancing at her clothing. Interesting. They are really going all out with this game. Thank god I'm not in that ridiculous suit anymore. Seeing that she was back in her jeans, boots and leather jacket. Even if it was an illusion, it was comfortable. "well, best get started then" randomly grabbing weapons off the wall and shoving everything she could fit into the bag on the floor. Stopping only when she thought the bag was about to burst open from the contents. Lifting it was a challenge, but if they left all this here, she was probably going to need some of it. Taking an especially large looking gun with a long strap off the wall, hanging it on her shoulder like a purse she headed for the door, down the stairs, her boots making a loud clanging noise as she moved towards the light. hhmm, voices thinking to herself as she hit the sunlight. probably the crew or something here to point us the way

"Hey, there's one now" a voice called out, as she stepped out of the doorway. Her head swiveled to see a large greasy looking man starting to advance in her direction, funny he didn't look like he was with the crew. Watching in confusion as he leveled his rifle toward her. "Hey....." she began as she watched him point the weapon directly at her, her mouth suddenly dry as she realized he was going to pull the trigger. way to go Pen, get killed first, that will make them remember you Trying not to panic, she attempted to drop the large bag of heavy weapons, her arm getting tangled in the automatic rifle on her shoulder. As she was trying to untangle herself, quickly, the strap wound around her arm more, pulling the gun on her shoulder sideways, when suddenly the gun began to fire. She jumped in shock, realizing it was her gun firing, the strap having become twisting around her hand and the trigger. Jumping caused the gun to fire uncontrollably into the street in front of her in a wild arc. Taking out the advancing man, hitting him directly in the chest and knocking him back to the ground. Causing the rest of the street to run for cover, diving anywhere and everywhere to get away. Bullets raining down on the street in a large, loud discharge. Her ears ringing, as it finally stopped, "Holy Shit!" she exclaimed, watching to see if he would get up. Scrambling to grab the bag, and moving to the side of the building.

Cookies Ahoy
02-18-2010, 11:05 PM
Starr had never done anything in virtual reality, and to say the least, she was quite excited. That was until the colors began to swim before her eyes and a wave of nausea came over her, the pod was also quite uncomfortable in the pod. It was obviously made for bigger people. She felt like she was in a blender with all the colors mixing around her, and eventually they all became black. Starr opened her eyes slowly around her, a room was coming into focus. The walls were filled with various dark shapes that eventually sharpened into firearms and other weapons.

"Welcome contestant. The room you are in is the armory. The weapons and amour here at your disposal. Take as much as you can carry. Once you exit this room you will not be allowed to enter it again. Take note that other ammo and weapons are scattered about the playing field, if you know where to look. Good luck!" The voice seemed to come out of nowhere.

Reaching for a duffel bag to throw things into, Starr noticed that her arm wasn't covered in the same material. She wasn't in the uncomfortable VR suit anymore, she was wearing the clothes she had been wearing when she showed up at the studio. Starr looked down at her boots, they had even managed to render the small scuff marks on them.

Too bad I didn't know we'd be wearing what we showed up in. I'd have brought some running shoes. Ah well, at least these boots don't have a heel on them, so I can still run fast, Starr thought to herself.

Starr started grabbing for weapons she could recognize, and the ones that were small enough for her to handle. The first thing she grabbed was an AR-15, a friend of her's had let Starr shoot one a few times before she was to go onto Armageddon. She liked how small she could retract the stock, and it didn't kick to hard for the kind of round it used. Next she grabbed a pistol, she wasn't sure what kind it was, but it was small and concealable. Starr tucked it into a holster she found next to it. Last she rolled in a few magazines and clips for the guns she had into the duffel bag. As Starr was leaving, she spotted a belt of four grenades, she snagged it without an afterthought.

As Starr closed the door behind her, she didn't hear the familiar click of a latch. When she turned around the doorway had disappeared.

That's neat, Starr thought to herself, Now, how do these grenades work? Starr pulled a grenade from the belt to examine it, So I just pull this pin I guess.

Starr tried to play with the pin, twist it, she even pulled on it slightly, but it wouldn't budge.

"That's funny... In the movies they just pull the pin and lob it," Starr muttered curiously, "Oh what's this?"

There's was a small catch that Starr flipped with her finger, but as she flipped it her finger that was still against the pin moved it from its position. Starr was dumbstruck, she had a live grenade in her hand now. Not only would she be laughed at by the viewers, she would kill herself in the first few minutes of the game. Finally Starr came to her senses, she threw the grenade out the window of the building she was in. A small hole broke into the window as the grenade went through it. The grenade fell to the streets, underneath a car in the opposite building. A loud explosion rang out, shattering the windows of nearby buildings.

Starr decided it would be best to run to the rooftop now. The explosion would definitely attract attention.

Way to screw things up already.

Kirra
02-18-2010, 11:28 PM
Dan lied down in the pod and let the world take him. The transition wasn't as bad as they told him it would be. As the world appeared around him, he couldn't help but think of strategies to take down the others. The last girl would be a challenge. She was small. So if it came down to it, Dan knew he could over power her. But if she had won before, seven times no less, than she definitively knew how to throw her weight around. It was a coin toss to see if he should deal with her first, or wait till the end. Dan decided it would be best to leave her alone unless the opportunity arises to deal with her quickly. For his other competition, he didn't see that much of experience. The one who claimed to know kungfu may be a challenge up close, but Dan could just shoot him if needed. He didn't rule out anyone one particular as a threat. Even the actress could point and shoot. And the first contestant, John, looked like he was a big gamer.

“Welcome contestant. The room you are in is the armory. The weapons and amour here at your disposal. Take as much as you can carry. Once you exit this room you will not be allowed to enter it again. Take note that other ammo and weapons are scattered about the playing field, if you know where to look. Good luck!”

Dan walked between the aisles of guns seeing little he cared for. Many load flashy weapons that would quickly get him found. That's when he found it. A section completely devoted to stealth. Dan sifted through the camouflage until he found a box hidden below the rest. It was labeled OctoCamo. Dan opened the box and found a form fitting suit inside. He put the suit on noticing the small pockets and slots for knives, guns, and various other items. It came with with a mask and a loose cloth. Dan looked over the instructions and smiled. "Kevlar inlaid. This will help."

Dan looked around the armory for a bit grabbing a MK. 23 with an attached suppressor and a few magazines that fit perfectly into the slots. He then grabbed two combat knives and slid them into the two slots on the suit. He then found a FN P90 grabbed a flew magazines and loaded them in. Dan also picked up a duffel bag and filled it with more magazines, stun grenades, high tension rope, and another MK. 23. He placed the straps of the bag over his shoulders and wrapped the OctoCamo cloth around it. He smiled and slid the mask over his face. He put the FN P90 strap around on his shoulder and stalked out the door.

Once he stepped through, Dan took in the world around him. Not much at first. A staircase to the left; a hallway to the right. Dan decided to head down stairs. When he got to the bottom floor he heard voices in the next room. Their movements where obvious and repetitive. They must be the virtual people the host spoke of. He pressed the button on the inside of his glove, a small click from his right eye slot. The suit he wore altered to the image of a black black hall. Dan crouched down and snuck past them. It was easy enough. Apparently the suits program was designed to fool the viewer by appearing like the image it took. And even though it worked well on programed people, he wasn't sure how it would work on real ones.

Dan was ready to track down the others. He walked to a back door of the building. But as he opened the door he saw a rock crash through a close window. 'Wait, that's not a rock.' Dan ran out the door and jumped behind a large metal dumpster. The explosion followed shortly after. If he had not moved he would have been dead. 'Was that intentional? How could they have seen me already?' Dan pressed the button again as his camouflage changed to match the concrete ground. He was going to have to be more careful.

Security of Mem
02-18-2010, 11:43 PM
He found himself glancing his eyes from side to side as he was in the pod. It was dark and felt more like a coffin. The steel box began to rattle as if it were an old rusty clunker car. And colors seemed to find themselves around in the darkness. He felt disoriented for maybe a few seconds, but as he gained his bearings he found himself in a world. It was suppose to be virtual, however there was something odd about how real it was.

Odd how cheerful and happy they sounded. He didn't take much time to glance around. Many people he assumed would take this a time to shop around as if they were at the mall. He just grabbed a standard pistol and a survival knife, a bag too for whatever reason just to hold the little preparation he had. He wouldn't really need it of course. He went for the exist and found himself in a hall with some stairs. Murmurs of people's voice could be heard. Virtual people, virtual world. Such a surprise.

He found himself glancing out a window, parched dry earth. He found himself wandering into the streets of the world. He was sure by now everyone would be on a hunting express. He found himself a nice alleyway and just waited for what was to come.
The manager thought it would be good for his reputation if he came to this show. He had those media assholes begging for him to come here. And he was beginning to get annoyed with it.

He rather get killed then roll around in the god damn fucking dirt shooting at other people. He was just going to wait. Till he got shot first. It was better that way anyway. And he had no interest in games. He actually had better ideas of being home reading a quiet book. With no one around and everyone leaving him alone. He sat on the dry earth and rubbed the dirt. He took a sigh and glanced at windows with solemn boredom.

Ghexn
02-19-2010, 12:18 AM
As Paul climbed into his pod, he began to relax, slipping back into his comfortable role as a gamer. He had always known that gaming would help him one day, and now it was. As the pod started up, colors began to swirl around him and he began to feel like he was going to throw up. He finally closed his eyes against the light and when he opened them again he was in a room lined with every weapon that could be imagined. He also noticed that he was back in the clothes that he had worn earlier.

Great, so basically I take what I can from here and thats it, thats comforting.

He grabbed a duffel bag from the edge of the room and started to scan the weapon racks, looking for weapons that he recognized or was familiar with. He almost immediatly picked out a SCAR assault rifle with a holographic sight and a shoulder strap as well as extra mags. He slung it around his shoulders and continued down the row, grabbing a two belts of grenades as well as a few claymores. Just as he was about to leave, he spotted an M21 EBR sniper rifle against the wall and immediatly grabbed it, snatching a scope and extra ammo for all of his guns and putting them in the bag. He also grabbed a jacket that seemed to be inlaid with kevlar and put it on.

He lifted the bag with some difficulty but eventually slung it across his back to distribute the weight and left the room. He had been expecting to appear in the road but was surprised to appear in a dark hallway. He looked around and then started to head down the stairs next to him, his gun level at his hip. As he reached the ground floor, he paused and listened as voices drifted in from outside.

What the hell? Did the others really get here that fast?

He crept over to the window and looked out, seeing two guys standing there talking."Hmm, they don't look like the other contestants, and they don't look armed. Might be AI's the producers threw in. This just keeps getting better and better." He started to turn away when an explosion rang out and he dove to the ground. When he looked back out, a car five buildings down was on fire. "What the hell was that?" Forgoing the front door, he crept to the back door and out into the alley.

Well, guess it's time to have some fun.

Lerouge
02-19-2010, 04:10 AM
Andy turned his head to look into the opening of the pod he was going to be stuck in for a while, the device looked rather menacing and the thought of his physical self stuck here was rather disgusting to think about. A toy of entertainment so the people sitting one room away and the rest of America could watch while eating popcorn. "Well I had nothing better to do with my life..." He muttered as he climbed in and relaxed in the seat. His eyes scanned his surroundings for a second before a sudden slam distracted him trapping him inside.

With a simple beep and a sudden lose of breathe his mind went dark. The feeling of being absorbed mentally was new yet not as painful as he had first imagined it would be. The darkness was replaced with a flashing array of lights, forcing him to close his eyes as he felt his mentality leave the body it was currently in and instead be replaced with silence. He felt the back of the seat vanish and instead be replaced by the feel of cold and hard concrete and his eyes opened suddenly as the recording played with his entry into the game. His eyes looked around the room with walls and tables full of almost every weapon he could imagine. "Wow... they don't hold back any punches in this game huh..."

Andy stood up quickly and looked around, the first thing he knew was that he couldn't spend too much time waiting here. The others could be on the way to this spot any second to check on him, so he jumped up and grabbed a discarded green duffel bag and tossed it onto the table. His eyes darted around the room as he grabbed at the hem of his shirt pulling it off and dropping it onto the table. He reached over to a strap on the nearby wall and swung it over his shoulders grabbing for a few boxes of bullets and storing them within the various straps along the belt. "Wait..." He stopped for a second and looked around suddenly realizing half of America would be watching him strip right then and there. With a surprised yelp he grabbed at his shirt and tossed it back on covering himself. "Sorry... viewer people..." With a quick sigh he turned and tossed a circle of rope into the bag (as Irish brothers he once met in a bar some St. Patty days ago told him to always bring rope. Oddly enough, they were covered with blood at the time... but he didn't think much of them) , a few pistols, a couple more boxes of bullets, as well as an assortment of bombs and mines before closing it.

"Wow this is the best selection ever..." He whispered to himself as he secured the duffel bag over his shoulder and grabbed his favorite weapons, a shotgun and a pair of brass knuckles, which he firmly placed over his fingers. He turned and kicked open the door, a grenade held in his hand as he ran out the door pulling out the pin and tossing it into the room behind him. "That'll take care of anyone coming to get refills I suppose... but maybe they will just respawn." He turned around and was met instantly with the sight of a random teenager standing in front of him. "The hell..." He jumped back and looked at the boy curiously, he had rather cold gray eyes and his arm raised revealing a blade held in his hand.

Andy spun quickly out of the way his hand reaching for the back of the boys head pushing forward from him tossing him onto the floor and kept running the sound of the explosion behind him. "Shit..." He continued running not turning to look back at the explosion behind him leaning against a nearby wall. "Well, I'm sure someone heard that..."

Campster J.
02-19-2010, 05:32 AM
As Aaron opened his eyes his vision was filled with sleek black rifles, snipers, glittering knives, shining grenades, and much much more. As looked around in wonder and amazement at the weapons that filled the room.

A voice come out of no where saying, "Welcome contestant. The room you are in is the armoury. The weapons and armour here at your disposal. Take as much as you can carry. Once you exit this room you will not be allowed to enter it again. Take note that other ammo and weapons are scattered about the playing field, if you know where to look. Good luck!”

Aaron smiled and grabbed the duffel bag. He slung around a sniper rifle over his left shoulder, slung a m4a1 carbine over his right, and started loading his bag with extra ammunition. He tossed in a two desert eagles and extra clips for the power full pistol. He thought for a moment and decided to throw in plenty of grenades to be safe. He also folded the sniper, slide it into the bag, and looked around for anything else he needed. Aaron also tossed in some rations and a few more grenades in just in case. Overall his bag was not too heavy for what he carried. He looked around and to see if he needed anything else. He picked up a M249 for the moment and went over his duffel bag one more time to be safe. He smiled and figured he had everything, so he stepped out of the door as it disappeared behind him.

He looked around and noticed stairs and quickly made his way down the stairwell. He came upon a door and opened it without caution. He was about to walk out when he noticed that people were pointing rifles at him. He quickly backed into the door and dove for cover as the door was sprayed with bullets. Aaron quickly opened the duffel bag and grabbed a grenade out of it. He flip the switch on the grenade, pulled the pin, threw it out the door, and as it exploded he tucked his head down as the dust came through the blasted door. The right hand side door was still open and he moved up to it by hugging the walls. He peered out of the door way, but immediately went back in as a rain of metal came down upon the door. Aaron shouted, "Oh, c'mon! Holy shit man how many are there!" He ran back under the stairwell, grabbed his duffel bag, M249, and sprinted out the back door...

The Gypsy Queen
02-19-2010, 06:19 AM
Lory started back down the street, keeping close to the building and moving quietly. This part of the game was always her least favorite. The stalking and looking for the others was too slow for her. She preferred the action.

She thought she heard a sigh behind her and turned slightly to look behind her. She saw nothing and continued on her way. She only had time to grunt in surprise as she was suddenly pinned to a wall. It was the wilderness guide, done in high tech camo. Lory snarled as he started to speak.

"Sorry, I just couldn’t bring myself to attack you blindsided.” He said but she had already dropped her duffel and swung her right fist at him, kicking him away from her with a growl.

“ Okay kid. We can do this your way." The guide said, bringing his fists up. Lory didn’t waste her breath, swinging her sledgehammer from her shoulder. Her swing was low and powerful but just too slow, and the guide dodged to the side. Growling, she let her hammer slam into the cement sidewalk, letting it reverberate and used the remaining upward force to swing it sideways at him, hoping to connect and crack a few ribs.

The guide dodged again, this time moving behind Lory. Before she could right her balance again and turn on him she received another shove, stronger this time. It was enough to send her reeling into the wall behind her, hammer still dangling in her hands. She caught herself on the wall with her free hand and held still.
" That's a bit too heavy for you. We can rest, if you need.” The guide said and Lory sneered. This man was annoying.

“ Game over.” She said, pulling the pulling the Glock out of her belt and wheeling around to point it at his head. Except he wasn’t there. Lory growled, remembered he had snuck up on her to begin with. She hefted her hammer onto her shoulder and kept her back to the wall.

She caught a blur of movement from the corner of her eye, but didn’t have time to react as the guide grabbed the arm holding the gun with trained precision, attempting to disarm her. Lory was no weak armed girl, though, and years of swinging a hammer in a foundry had made her arms thick and strong. He managed to bend her arm and make her drop the gun, but he could not force her into a submission lock. Lory moved her other arm, dropping the hammer off her shoulder, meaning to swing it around herself and catch him in the chest with a glancing blow, but he brought his free hand up and caught it.

Lory sneered at him, halfway impressed. He wasn’t weak, she’d give him that, and was glad for the opportunity to eliminate him early on. She slammed her knee up and connected the blow, but she couldn’t tell if she hit his groin or his stomach. Either way, the pain doubled him over.

She tried to take the time to back away and get a clear shot at him with her hammer, but he didn’t let go of it. Before she could try to shake it free, he was moving, swinging the handle of the hammer around himself to try and shake her off. Lory’s grip was good, though, and she held on. It was, however, enough to throw her off balance.

Seeming to sense the advantage, the guide swung her around and slammed her into the wall, stunning Lory for a few precious seconds. He slammed her again. But now she had her feet beneath her again, and she leaned back, pulling the hammer with her and him as well, kicking up at his chest. She didn’t connect the kick, but he must have recalled the first one, because he released the hammer and reached for a p90 on his belt. Simultaneously, Lory reached for her sawed off shotgun. The two leveled the guns at each other, both wary of the other.

" Damn kid. Haven't had this much fun in a while." The guide said.

“ Agreed.” Lory growled in response. It had been a very long time since anyone had given her so much trouble. This either needed to end now or she needed to find an exit strategy, and re-engage later.

He sighed. " I would hate to finish off some one as good as you this early. Especially since we are going to both lose if we continue this fight. Why don't we put this on hold for now. If you are this good just starting, I can't wait to see you when the battle has heated up."

Lory nodded, moving to shoulder her sawed off slowly, watching to be sure he did the same. When he did, she bent to retrieve her Glock and tuck it back into her belt.

" Don’t lose before we meet again, okay?" he said, stepping back and away. Lory grunted, picking up her duffel and shouldering the hammer.

“ Unlikely.” She said, sliding to a nearby building door. She went through the door, and set a mine on it behind her, dropping into a sprint through the building, hoping to get as much space between herself and him as possible. There were other players to kill. She was ready to find them. And then she could make a nice finale of the guide.

Merry
02-20-2010, 03:28 PM
Penny stood in frozen shock, hugging the wall, trying to control her breathing shit, shit, shit. This is not what I signed up for her mind still reeling about having discharged what appeared to be a live weapon. Craning her neck slightly to see the man in the street. Her eyes immediately drawn to the blood all over the front of his shirt. it’s…blood, oh my god, it’s actual blood biting her lip as it finally registered that she had killed someone. Not even for a second realizing that this was in fact not a real person, but a simulation as mentioned in the briefing.

oh god, what did I do? Think, think, you idiot! What where all those papers you signed, and there was a will in there wasn’t there.Trying to think back to the interview process, and the paperwork in the audition process. She had been so blinded by the fact that she was going to be on tv, she hadn’t really paid much attention to the paperwork the show producers and lackey’s had shoved at her to read. It was more important to her to make sure her nails were done, and her hair was perfect. She had just been thrilled that they had chosen her. Not that she ever read much anyway, unless it was in the form of a script. Now that she thought about it she did wonder why they hadn’t given her a script. But Hollywood was so reality tv that she just chalked it up to that. Figuring the Directors wanted real emotion, and real action. Trusting in the actors to bring it to the screen firsthand. well my nails look perfect now, don’t they! I’m sure they’ll look even better in my coffin her eyes still glued to the dead man in the street. going to be hard to give real emotion if your dead her mind screaming at her.

Just as she was trying to calm her breathing from the ragged gasping for air, bordering hyperventilating a series of explosions rocked out, shaking the building she was leaning against. Instinctively ducking down lower to the ground, a small shriek escaped her before she could stop it. I have to get out of here, I need to be off this street, I need to think, out of the open her eyes scanning through the settling dust, spotting an old rusty station wagon, years old, roughly twenty feet away. Could she make it that far without being spotted? Did she have a choice. Before she could talk herself out of it, she grabbed the large bag of weapons, half holding it, half dragging it, and without even stopping to look she ran full tilt toward the car, threw open the back door and jumped in, pulling the heavy bad after her slamming the door shut and then quickly ducking down below the seat. Her breath coming in sharp gasps between the adrenaline and the fear. Plucking up her courage to peek her head up as another explosion rocked the building she had been standing beside. “Crypes” she exclaimed, quickly ducking back down “what are they trying to do, blow the friggin place up” she whispered aloud. She finally lifted her head up high enough to peer around, not seeing anyone and then collapsing back onto the floor of the car in relief. Realizing as she did so that she was sitting on something, something hard, and it was jabbing her in the back. Shifting a little, so she could stay crouched below the seats, in the chance that anyone had seen her make a run for the car, she pulled aside a dusty green tarp to find a rather large weapon, underneath. Reading the side of it she could make out the words RPG-7V on the handle. “what the heck is this” she wondered. Then seeing it had a note card attached to the end, she pulled it off and read.

“Dear Contestant. You have been lucky enough to find one of the many hidden weapons strategically placed throughout Armagendon. A full instruction card is enclosed and will help you understand the features of this bonus prize you have located. Best of luck with your game”

“Great, more weapons, just what I need. I don’t know what to do with the ones I already have” and those had not come with instructions at all. “well, let’s see what I did bring, maybe there is something I will know what to do with” trying to focus on anything other than the fact that she was probably dead, and soon. Trying to bury that thought quickly, and as deep as it would go, for now. She opened the bag and started to pull things out. A few knives, rather dangerous and very sharp looking, quickly dropped with a shudder, the thought of using it to stab someone abhorrent to her. Her mind still flashing back to the blood on the man’s shirt in the street, the crimson stain on his chest firmly engraved in her mind. She pulled out a few more rifle looking guns, long and sleek, another automatic weapon like the one still on her shoulder, at the bottom of the bag a handgun, small and compact, then another bigger hand gun, heavier in weight. Then a hand full of grenades and a few round disc like objects, they appeared to be explosives of some kind. She still had the automatic on her shoulder from the street. She laid it all out on the seat beside her, taking stock, it didn't seem like alot. She knew there was no way she could carry all of this, and survive. As much as she knew she was going to need it, her mind skipping over the part about why she was going to need it. But it was just too heavy for her to run with, getting to the car had proven that and she knew that running was definitely on the agenda for awhile. “Great, now what” she grimaced.

Yoruyonaka
02-22-2010, 07:24 AM
Rissa knew that right when this started, her brain was in battle mode. This was a game to those watching, but a war for those actually in it. When the swirling colors of the virtual world became more clear, Rissa found herself in a weapon room. Oh the weapons she found in here. A smile formed on her face as she spotted a Machete calling her name.

A voice then shocked her back into reality, or virtual reality. “Welcome contestant. The room you are in is the armoury. The weapons and armour here at your disposal. Take as much as you can carry. Once you exit this room you will not be allowed to enter it again. Take note that other ammo and weapons are scattered about the playing field, if you know where to look. Good luck!”

She stepped forward and examined the room. No time limit huh? Rissa could waste some time here thinking of a strategy of weapons and who she should hit first. The blond women was rather annoying. She hated that type, thinking there all that and rule the worlds beauty scale. Usually, Rissa didn't ever care about that, but in these circumstances those type of thoughts flew into her head. One thing Rissa knew was not to try and kill the woman Lory. She won already, therefore she knows how to win again. One things for sure, Rissa would have to make an ally. Dan seemed a possibility as strange as it was to her. He seemed like someone who would helpful. Another was Starr or John.

After making the quick analysis in her head, Rissa glanced at her clothes. She was wearing her favorite outfit. Black, worn all stars, a pair of dark blue jeans, and a black shirt that said "I can read you like a Book". Her right arm also held her favorite Jack Skellington band. Plus as a bonus, her favorite Four-Leaf clover necklace. Rissa was ready to get lethal.

Rissa snagged a jacket she was happy to see made with Kevlar. This might help protect her from some gun shots. The jacket had inner pockets for guns, hand grenades, or any thing else of importance. She grabbed a belt with hooks and pockets and slipped it on. Next she grabbed a backpack and a duffel bag. Rissa shoved to Machetes into the holsters on the back part of her belt. She tucked two Benelli M4 Super 90 shot guns into holsters that happened to be on her jackets inner sides for discretion. Rissa grabbed a handful of lighters and put them in one of the backpacks pockets and two in her jeans pocket. Oh did those lighters and grenades catch her pyro minds attention, that is if she were a pyro, but probably would affect anyone as strange as her. Six grenades lined the grenade holsters on her belt.

Now time for more guns. Rissa had two M1911 Pistols put into her gun holsters on the belt. She grabbed some shot gun ammo and along other ammo and slid it into some inner jacket pockets and belt pockets. She slid another hunting knife into a belt holster as well. A lot of ammo was piled into the Duffel bag and backpack. A Silenced Submachine Gun was put into the backpack and also in the Duffel bag. A sniper rifle, a Chrome Shotgun, and AK-47 would be useful too; they were added to the duffel bag. Last but not least(so is to not have too much), some health packs were added to the backpack and duffel bag. Cant go without healing myself, and others if needed. One other thing that spotted her eye was what looked like binoculars but more hi-tech. The label said they could see through solid objects, read heat signatures, and see in the dark. This would be quite handy.

"All set," Rissa smiled and stepped toward the door that lead to the battle. "Time to face these-"

An explosion could be heard barely from the outside, but Rissa heard it.

"What the hell is going on?" Rissa shoved the door open, and slunk into battle mode. "No fucking way am I gonna die in this game. Definitely not without killing first."

Rissa stepped forward lightly and noticed she was in some sort of office building. Through one of the offices she came to a window and saw a city appearance. There were people which shocked her. Using the hi-tech binoculars, Rissa saw these people were armed. This should be fun, she thought smirking. With that, she slid under one of the desks that was hidden from sight outside of the office.

"Come and get me," Rissa whispered.

John
02-22-2010, 07:37 AM
John continued to scan the streets through the scope of the rifle. He had good cover and knew it wouldn’t be long before he could find one of the other contestants. He hadn’t been waiting long when he heard the sound of gunfire echoing through the streets. He sighed with relief when he didn’t hear the sound of the announcer’s voice telling the contestants that someone had made the first kill; as was customary when there was a prize for one.

John pointed the gun in the direction of the shot and could see the hot blonde, Penny, getting into a car. The best part was that John wasn’t going to have to rely on his shooting skills, which were basically confined to video games. Even though this was a VR setting in which guns didn’t have the kick they had in real life, he still would have to rely on his own aiming ability. Instead he could rely on the years of playing baseball in high school. Although John didn’t play anymore, he still had good aim when throwing. And as luck would have it, he had some grenades. John could already taste the Pina Coladas and feel the sand between his toes. He reached into the bag and removed one of the grenades. Pulling out the pin, he lobbed it at the car. The grenade hit the ground and rolled under the front end.

“Yes!!! Hawaii, here I c-”

John never finished the sentence, for at that moment, a strange feeling swept over the contestants and they knew nothing more as the safety mechanism on the pods activated, placing them in stasis.

Narrator

The studio was dark except for the emergency lights placed in the corners of the room. A layer of dust and cobwebs covered everything. The room was silent and would have been completely devoid of light, if not for the small green lights signifying power on nine of the VR pods; which cast something of an eerie glow about the room. The door to the studio was closed and the silence was broken by the deafening noise of an explosion and the door flying off its hinges. After a few minutes the dust began to settle and the room became still once again.

A moment later, a dog appeared in the doorway.

The dog was a German Shepherd and had a black bandanna tied around it’s neck. It sniffed at the air for a moment before entering the room and barking twice.

Chloe Reynolds
The air seemed to shimmer for a moment as a figure materialized. She stood about five feet four inches in height and was clothed in a tight fitting suit of black armour, which kind of resembled a wetsuit . The helmet completely covered the head and had red coloured visor. Two Glocks sat snugly in holsters attached to her belt and a combat knife was in a sheath attached to her boot. Over one shoulder she had a backpack, which she placed on the ground. A gloved hand reached up and removed the helmet revealing the face of a woman in her mid twenties. She had green eyes and shoulder length red hair tied back in a ponytail. She reached down and patted the head of the dog.

“Good boy.” She smiled and turned her attention to the desk.

Chloe took a moment to examine the computer. There was no power running to it. She removed the pack from her shoulders and began to root around inside it, removing a screwdriver, wire cutters, and an ion battery. Removing the panel from the tower, Chloe carefully cut into some of the wires, and attached them to the battery. The screen flickered to life, and it didn’t take her long to hack into the system and begin to skim through the files on the computer. Apparently, she was in a television studio and each of the pods had a game show contestant in it.

Now Chloe knew what a television was. In fact, she had one. Of course she had gutted it and used it as a planter. But she had no idea what a game show was. As she continued to read, she felt mortified. The show gave out prizes for killing people. Even though she understood that it was simulated, Chloe had seen enough death and destruction to ever consider it to be entertainment. Continuing to look further, she found a voice log. She clicked on the files and listened.

May 21, 2052
(voice sounds scared and frantic)
“The power’s been out all night. I could hear them in the hallway, scratching, banging on the door. I could hear the screams of the security guard. Oh god, what’s happening out there? There’s been no communication and the NNA signal isn’t getting through. They’ve stopped for now but I know they will be back. I disabled the lock on the door so they shouldn’t be able to get in. The door is made of steel and I do have the gun from the desk. I just hope I don’t have to use it. There is enough food and water in the fridge to last me about three days. Maybe longer if I ration it And as long as the plumbing doesn’t go, I can get water from the sink in the bathroom. The contestants should be safe for now in stasis. Someone will have to come soon."

May 27, 2052
(voice sounds scared but hopeful)
“The banging on the door has become much less frequent. As if they are giving up. I’ve just eaten the last of my food, but I have no doubt that someone will be along soon. Any day now I know they will be here. The plumbing still works, though I have noticed that the water has started to taste funny. But it will have to do for now.”

June 2, 2052
(crying)
“Why won’t they come? So hungry. The banging has stopped and I feel so weak. There’s nothing to eat, but at least the plumbing still works. I hope someone comes soon, I don’t know how much longer I can hold out. So alone…..so alone.

June 5, 2052
(voice is frantic, and full of sorrow)
“Oh god what have I done?! So hungry and couldn’t help myself. I ….I don’t feel normal. I think it’s the water. There’s something….wrong….with the water. I’m…..changing! I couldn’t fucking help myself!! God please help me! Needed to eat. He died in his sleep!! OH GOOD GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE!!!!”(The log ends abruptly with the sound of a gunshot)

Claire looked over at the open pod and felt a sick feeling in her stomach. Moving to the pod, she looked inside. The body was nothing more than a skeleton and the outfit he wore was nothing more than rags now, due to the years it had spent in the pod. Chloe read the name on the tag and said a prayer for John. She, in some ways, felt he had gone to a better place. Chloe took the plastic key card, which was hanging around John’s neck, before returning to the computer. She assumed that it must open one of the lockers she had found earlier and hoped that he would have some useful items. It wasn’t that she was insensitive. It was survival, nothing more.

Chloe picked up the hammer, which was leaning against one of the pods, and placed it next to the desk. She also spied the skeletal corpse on the floor. Laying next to it was a gun. Chloe picked it up and tucked it into her belt, noticing the top of the skull was missing on the corpse. It must be the woman who made the audio logs.

Chloe sighed as she pondered her next move. She didn’t have a lot of time but couldn’t leave the people behind. She clicked through some more files on the computer and found their vital statistics. They were all alive and healthy and appeared to be uninfected by the disease which had nearly brought humanity to extinction. It was times like these Chloe wished she didn’t give a shit about anything or anyone. It would be much easier to leave them behind. She only had two hours before sunset and needed to be out of LA before then, before the current citizens came out to play. And they would be particularly interested in these “contestants.”

Chloe moved the cursor over the command to open the pods. “Well Butch. Looks like we’re going to have some company.” The dog barked at her and she clicked on the command.

The pods began to make a hissing noise and started to open. She knelt down beside butch and waited, trying to think of a way to tell the people inside the pods what had happened over the last three hundred years. She also attempted to prepare herself for the barrage of questions would surely come at her. Not to mention the expected outpouring of emotion. Chloe had to tell nine people that everything and everyone they knew was gone. And there was a good chance that they wouldn’t believe her at first. It was the type of situation which Chloe didn’t like to be in. Too many variables. She only hoped that they wouldn’t all wake up at once.

Cookies Ahoy
02-23-2010, 12:58 AM
Starr was running up the stairwell of the building she had started the game in. Each step she took reverberated down the well. She cursed herself for being so stupid, the thought of even messing around with a grenade was dumb. When she reached the top of the stairs, Starr crouched low and held her gun at ready. She pushed open the door, revealing the tops of buildings. Starr immediately got to the ground, another contestant could be watching the rooftops and easily pick her off. She held her breath trying to stay low and quiet to avoid detection from anybody that may be around. Starr began crawling over to a low wall. After a few minutes, she worked up enough guts to peek over the wall. Holding her AR15's stock against her shoulder, she scanned the cityscape. A glint of light hit her eyes. Her first thought was it was a camera lens, but realizing there were no cameras in the virtual world it was obviously a scope on a rifle. Starr lined up the sights of her weapon as steady as she could waiting for the moment she could see her target. A small object was thrown from her opponent's position, and Starr saw her chance to get a kill.

Just as she pulled the trigger, everything went black.

The next thing Starr was hearing was the noise of her pod creaking open. It sounded like it hadn't moved in ages. Slowly her eyes adjusted to the dim light of the room. It looked like it had been abandoned, for a very long time. Dust had settled a blanket across almost everything in the room. Starr leaned forward to get out of the pod, but as her feet touched the ground, she fell from her weight. Her legs hadn't been able to touch the ground, and after the prolonged period they were hanging, they weren't ready for her weight. Starr moaned deeply.

Turning her head to stop from breathing in the dust that was layered across the floor, Starr was looking at pod number one. It had been opened, but he only thing next to it was a skeleton. She let out a loud scream, and turned her head the opposite direction, only to be greeted by another skeleton. Starr let out another scream, and began to push herself off the floor. She was able to get herself onto her knees, and that was when she noticed the woman and dog that stood by the computer system. Starr was becoming more and more confused, and a sense of worriment was coming over her.

"Who are you, and what happened here?" Starr asked weakly.

Chloe took a bottle of water from her pack and approached Starr. She had a concerned look and her face and when she spoke the words came in a soothing tone.

"Try not to exhert yourself," Chloe handed the water to Starr. "Your body's in shock and you need to be careful. As for who I am, my name is Chloe."

Starr took the bottle of water with little thought. She began to drink deeply from the bottle, not stopping until she had drank almost half of it. Starr immediately felt the water begin to rejuvenate her body.

Standing up slowly, Starr replied in the same weak tone, "Thank you, Chloe, I'm Starr. Sorry to sound pushy, but you never answered my second question. What happened here?"

Chloe hoped that Starr wouldn't press the matter. The truth was, Chloe didn't know how to tell her what had happened and couldn't be sure that Starr would believe it. Hell, Chloe was having a hard time believing it herself.

"Listen," Chloe smiled slightly. "A lot has happened and I'm really not sure where to begin. I assume one of the lockers in the other room contains your belongings. Might I suggest you retrieve them and then hopefully the others will have awakened and I can tell everybody all at once." A single tear rolled down Chloe's cheek. Starr seemed nice enough and Chloe really knew that what she had to tell these contestants would break Starr's heart. Something which Chloe was not looking forward to.

"And if you don't mind, that outfit you are wearing. If you're not planning to keep it I would really like to have it."

Starr looked at the uncomfortable virtual reality suit she had been given, then frowned a little, "I'd love to give you the suit, but its the studio's, not mine, and I'm not sure it would fit. No offense," Starr paused and took in a small breath, and noticed Chloe's pistols at her hips, "I guess I could give it to you though, it doesn't look like they'll be needing it," Starr added quietly.

Starr tightened the lid on the bottle of water. She began to size Chloe up. The suit she was wearing obviously wasn't something any normal person would wear around, but then again, normal people didn't walk around with guns at their hips and a dog at their side. Deciding not to press the subject, Starr stepped away from the pod.

"I'll go get my things now, thanks again Chloe," Starr said.

Why was she holding back tears? Starr thought to herself as she walked to the locker room her belongings were in.

Chloe couldn't help but notice the way Starr eyed her weapons and she scolded herself silently for not removing them before she opened the pods. Quickly, she placed a hand on Starr's shoulder and began to speak.

"Listen Starr. I am here to help. I don't want to hurt any of you. I just want to get you all to safety. But for that I need you to trust me. I know we just met and when I tell you what I have to it will be hard for you. But I promise I will do my best to see that no harm comes to you." Chloe gave Starr a smile and removed her hand.

Starr looked at Chloe curiously, What could she mean by that?

Not wanting to press Chloe for more information, as she sounded a little hurried, Starr simply replied, "Okay Chloe," and left to retrieve her belongings.

Merry
02-23-2010, 01:58 AM
Peaking her head up above the edge of the seat again, Penny looked around, trying to figure out her next move. She knew without a doubt, she had to get out of this car, anyone could have seen her jump into it. Hell they probably all saw her, and were lining up their weapons right now. That thought causing a cold shiver to run down her spine. Then it hit her… What if the keys were in it!? Dare she hope? Sneaking a look over the back seat into the front, her eyes sparkling at seeing the keys dangling in the ignition. Now, did she remember how to actually drive. That would be the trick now, wouldn’t it. It had been awhile, since she had in fact driven a car. They really weren’t in high demand anymore. How hard could it be? Looking around quickly again, plucking up her nerve, she slowly began to inch her leg up to throw it over the seat. Her boot getting caught on the edge of the seat, in the process. As she was pulling it free, and lifting herself over the cracked seat, she was suddenly falling. Falling much farther than into the front seat of the old car.

She was falling into the darkness, a dark so thick that it felt like it had weight. Everything was blank, there was nothing but darkness, icy cold and black. She tried to scream only to find that it was locked in her throat, and wouldn’t come out. Just a feeble croak was all she heard. Was that her? What had they done, what part of the game was this? Had she made a mistake and been blown up? Did she trigger some mechanism by climbing over the seat? Struggling to get her eyes open, blinking furiously trying to get them to focus. Her eyes finally registered on a feeble light over head, barely discernable through the dust on the window of the pod. Attempting to lift her arm and knock on the door of the pod. If she died, they might as well let her out, right? They weren’t going to keep her in here, where they? “Hey” she tried to shout, only to hear a whisper. ‘HEY” she tried again, with a little more force, this time lifting her hand toward the glass. “Let me OUT!” she pushed as hard as she could, jumping a little in surprise as it started to open, the door swinging slowly upward with a sad, slow hiss, and a creaking noise.

Struggling to push herself up onto her elbows, her body weak, she heard voices, a little ways off “Hey, did I die already?” she struggled to say, shaking her head to dispel the disoriented feeling. Her tongue feeling to big for her mouth, her voice sounding strange to her own ears, raspy. Must be something in the virtual process, maybe I came back to quick or something “I know I can do better, just let me back in. I just got off to a rocky start, but I can do it, that man in the street was an accident!” wiping her face, with her fingers, her skin feeling stiff under her fingertips. Finally looking around the room. Her eyes slowly taking in the debris the dust the neglect, coming to a stop at the skeleton on the floor, her mind trying to register that it was in fact a skeleton, missing a head. “What the hell? What part of the game is this?” struggling to sit up further, her body fighting against her, weak and lifeless. Noticing the girl across the room, with a dog. “Who the hell are you” taking in the girl, and the dog across the room. “Why are you in this game? Are you a late entry?” Attempting to climb out of the pod.

Kirra
02-23-2010, 02:30 AM
Dan had made his way from the ally. He noticed something gleaming in the on the top a building. A rifle barrel looking down at the street. Dan rushed up the building. He easily snuck past the fake people thanks to his camouflage. On his way to the roof he noticed a number of mines sitting about. Not really an issue if the know how they work. But Dan didn't want to alarm his pray. He climbed outside a window an scaled the side of the building. Once he got atop he saw John laying there with his rifle. Dan creeped up on him and pulled out his blade. A quick stab in the heart and it would be over. No real pain or suffering. Dan got close and was about to finish him. Then everything went black.

The next thing he knew, everything felt different. He opened his eye and noticed he was back in his pod. Had he been killed? No, something wasn't right. Everything was dark and musty. What had happened? Then Dan remembered the safety overview. "If something should happen, the pods will lock down and keep you alive inside until we are able to fix the issue." But how long could it have been? They wouldn't have just left him here. As the cover of the pod lifted, he noticed that everything around him was covered in dust. Then Dan heard a scream.

Dan tried to leap from his pod, but his body didn't want to respond. He must have been stiff from the long sleep. He forced his body up slowly. He looked around the room seeing the other pods opened. Everyone was still there. Everyone but John. Only a corpse remained. 'So that explains the screaming.' Only a skeleton. It would take at least a few dozen years. The thought didn't sit well with him.

He looked up to see Starr speaking with a woman he didn't know. But the way they spoke assured that she wasn't going to try and hurt them. She was trying to comfort Starr. He waited as they finished speaking to walk up to her. Seeing Penny also by her. "Penny this isn't a contestant." He then turned to the woman. "My name is Dan. I hope you understand my current distrust. Can you explain what has happened here?"

Chloe eyed the two of them and smiled. She seemed to understand his mistrust and looked like she wanted to change that. Removing two bottles of water from the pack, she handed it to them.

“I will explain everything in time,” Chloe’s tone was passive. “Right now I would ask that you retrieve your personal belongings, and hopefully by the time you return, everyone else will be awake. I have a lot to tell you and would prefer to tell everyone at once."

Dan looked at her questionably. "She's right Penny. Lets grab our things." He didn't want the girl to freak out so he made sure she didn't see the dead bodies on the floor and in the pod. Once they made it to the lockers Dan opened his. He retrieved his clothing and gear, changing quickly, and headed back out. Dan pick up the two skeletal remains and hid them in a corner. He would bury them later.

Yoruyonaka
02-23-2010, 03:33 AM
This was beginning to be slow for Rissa. No one passed by or came close to the office she hid in. In an attempt to cause some action, she grabbed a grenade and threw it out the window. Come on, there had to be someone who'd notice that. As she waited for it to fall to the ground, something happened. Something the frightened her half to death. The world turned black. Not the kind of darkness you get from regular night or going to sleep. There were no dreams. Just complete and total blackness. If Rissa could hyperventilate, she probably would have, but everything was strange. A sleep that was only darkness. Although it felt like five minutes, it also felt like ages.

Rissa suddenly jolted awake. She was once again within the pod. However, something was wrong. Did I die already? Was there a malfunction? What the hell happened? These questions flooded her already soggy brain. She pushed on the pod door. Nothing. She pushed harder. Still no good. Now she was becoming claustrophobic. This is what happened to her when she was in small places for too long.

"Shit," Rissa gasped as she began to perspire. "Anyone! Please get me out of here!" This was too much for her, so with a powerhouse thrust of her shoulder, or what little strength she had, Rissa shoved the pod door open. At the same time her weakened state mad her fall flat on her face. How very smooth, Rissa thought. When she finally glanced up her vision was a little hazy, but it soon cleared.

"What the hell!?" Rissa was seeing a dusty and empty studio. She then glanced over at the Dan guy and a woman with a dog. "Hey! What the hell is going on here? Was there a mass malfunction of the system? Oh my god..."

Rissa glanced at the skeletons in the corner and nearly had a heart attack. What's worse is they weren't fresh dead bodies, but yellowed with age. Rissa slumped to the floor. Now was her time to hyperventilate. If she was lucky she would pass out again and be back in the pod with people telling her everything is okay.

"Please," she whimpered to Dan and the woman. "What's going on? My dad was in the crowd. He was here, but...what happened?"

Ghexn
02-23-2010, 03:47 AM
As Paul rounded a corner and ran into a building, he cam face to face with more of the virtual people. Almost all of them were armed, some with heavy machine guns. He didn't even pause to think before opening up on the entire crowd. As he shot into the group, a wide grin broke out on his face as he experienced the thrill he always got when playing a game and knowing that he held his enemies fate in his hand. Just as he was about to finish the last of them off, his world suddenly went black.

He awoke in his pod a while later. At first he was confused. No way, I couldn't have died from those low level AIs, could I? After the confusion came anger. Why weren't the studio crew opening his pod already if he had died. He began to wonder what the hell had happened when it hit him that the air wasn't fresh like it was when he got in, but stale and bitter. He began to wonder at this when his pod hissed and opened.

As his eyes adjusted to the dim light the was filtering into the room, the first thing he noticed was the condition of the room. The dust that seemed to cover everything, the condition of the pod itself as well as the condition of the computer terminal. As he scanned the room, he saw that some of the other contestants were also out of their pods and dressed in their street clothes.

He stepped out of the pod and looked around even more seriously, finally resting his eyes on the two skeletons in the corner. He was surprised to see them there, but not particularly disturbed by it. He then noticed that there was also a women and a dog in the room who seemed to be talking to the others. He walked over to hear what she was saying, not saying a word, figuring that silence would be better at this point since the look on her face only told of sad tidings.

Campster J.
02-23-2010, 04:26 AM
As Aaron started to take a step everything went black around him. At first he thought he was shot by a sniper, but felt nothing instead he felt like everything just went away.

Aaron awoke in his pod a few minutes later. He pushed on the pod and found his arms very sore from not moving them for a while. As he pushed open the pod door he leaned forward and fell to the ground with a thud shouting, "Son of a bitch!" He rose slowly and coughed up the dust that went into his lungs as he fell from his pod. He looked around and asked no one particular, "What the hell happened here? What happened to everyone and everything!"

Aaron looked around and saw the girl that seemed to be in charge. He ran up to her and asked, "Where the hell is everyone and what in the name of the god damn earth happened to this place!" As he finished his sentence he saw her face more clearly as his eyes adjusted in the dim lighting of the area. Her face was covered in sadness and he swore he saw a faint streak of a recent tear that rolled down her face. His face fell as his recognized the face of sadness. Aaron fell to his knees and punched his fist into the ground. He hoped that it would help, but it didn't so he sat down and asked the girl one more time, "What happened? Please tell me..."

The Gypsy Queen
02-23-2010, 05:52 AM
Lory was making her way quietly down a back alley, the familiar weight of the guns and hammer on her hips and shoulder. She was following the sounds of guns and a few explosions, hoping to sneak in a quick, early kill. This game was already moving much too slowly.

She heard some promising noises, and just as she turned a corner to peek around it, everything went black.

The next thing Lory was aware of was shouting. She was in her pod and people were shouting. The studio was normally kept very quiet. Unnerved by suddenly finding herself in the pod and surrounded by noise, Lory reached up and pushed the glass door open, swinging her legs out and hopping to the ground...

Where she crumpled to the floor like she was made of paper mache.

Clinging to the side of the pod with a confused expression on her face, Lory struggled to get her unresponsive feet beneath her, and winced at the sting of muscles that had fallen to sleep as she finally managed it.

The contestants were all out of there pods and the air stank like age. Like dying. Nose crinkled and eyes narrowed, Lory hauled herself to her feet and stumbled past the confused and frightened group to regard the redhead in front of them with a glare.

The redhead had guns. Lory had nothing but her VR suit.

She held up her hand to ask for silence, eyes still bearing down on the redhead she didn't recognize. Only authorized personnel should have been in the studio.

" Who are you?"

Chloe’s head was starting to spin. These contestants were waking up quickly, and some of them were understandably upset.. She moved over to Rissa and wrapped an arm around her. It was then that Aaron started to hit the ground. There was another one who was remaining silent for the time being but Chloe had not doubt that would change. She placed a hand on Aaron’s shoulder in an effort to try and calm him when another woman got out of the pod and asked who she was.

“Okay all of you,” Chloe had raised her voice slightly to make sure they all heard her. “My name is Chloe Reynolds, and I’m here to help.”

Lory pressed her position, glaring threateningly at Chloe.

" What happened? Game shut down. Like the last time."

The woman made something of an aggressive movement towards Chloe and the dog began to growl in response.

“Butch heel!!” Chloe looked at the dog who immediately sat back down and stared at Lory. “I will be happy to tell you everything, but may I ask your name.” Chloe was calm and cool and continued to make eye contact with Lory.

" Lory Mikalaj." Lory said plainly. Then she blinked, as it occurred to her that despite what she thought of herself, most of America knew her name. " The Hammer." she added belatedly, eyes narrowing slightly.

“ Well then Lory,” Chloe began, still trying to smile. Something she was finding hard to do right now. It wasn’t that Lory was pissing her off. It was that the whole situation was a little emotional for her. “ Might I ask that you take the other two here,” Chloe motioned at Aaron and Rissa. “ Retrieve your belongings and once everyone has returned here, I will tell you all what has happened.”

Lory growled. She didn't much appreciate being told what to do. But she did reach down to pull Rissa to her feet.

As she did, she spotted the skeleton. She froze, staring at it. Bones bleached white. No teeth marks. Just the top of the skull missing. Like a cattle carcass left out for decades.

She looked back the Chloe, weighing her options. She didn't know what was happening but she and the others might be in very real danger. Finally, she opted to do as she was told, motioning for the other contestants to follow her.

Lory led them to their lockers and opened her own with the key card, the airtight seal hissing as it opened. Reaching in, Lory found her overalls and wallet, her boots, and her keys. Lory wasted no time in stripping out of the itchy VR suit, right in the open, down to her white tank top and boxer briefs. She pulled on her overalls and fastened up her boots, pocketing her wallet and keys. She turned and did a quick headcount, frowning when she came up one short, and strode back over to Chloe.

Where she spotted the tenth pod and the skeleton it contained.

Biting back her nausea, knowing full and well that easily could have been her, she turned to Chloe and pointed to the hammer leaning against the desk.

" That's mine." she said.

Butch moved over in front of the hammer and sat down, still eyeing Lory.

“ I understand Lory. But you have to understand that at the moment I can’t just hand you a weapon.” Although Chloe was a good judge of character, she wasn’t sure if Lory would attack her or not.

Lory nodded, still wary.

" What happened? Where's Anne? Was it a power surge like last time?" Lory asked.

Lerouge
02-24-2010, 02:03 AM
Andy gasped for breathe as he stared at the remains of the building and watched as smoke rose from the now pile of ash remaining, his arm rested on his forehead shading his eyes from the sun above as he looked carefully for the kid from before. At first he couldn't see the corpse and he supposed it could have just despawned like it did in normal games, yet he had a sickly feeling about that as he stepped out into the clearing and looked around. His eyes widened and his stopped leaped at the sight off the wall covered in blood and the remains of the body in nothing more than shards on the base of the wall.

"Oh god..." He groaned as he looked away bringing his hand to his mouth and his other to his stomach, part of him felt like he was going to become sick yet his brain knew it was only virtual and didn't allow him to. It took him a few seconds to regain his composure and once he did he turned again walking toward the wall slowly and leaning down to pick up the switchblade that was on the floor and wrapped his wrist around it. "It is just a game... if only I had the chance to get used to battle." He cursed to himself as he stood up and heard the sound of a bullet flying by the spot where his head was and hit against the wall behind him. Shard of bricks flew off at the spot it hit and Andy looked toward the source of the gunshot.

At first he saw nothing asides from the skyline of the world they were fighting in, but he knew better than to stay in one spot whether it was an accident on purpose. His body took off to the left just in time to hear another bullet fly by him and he dived forward hiding between the alleyway of two buildings. No sooner than he had gotten in had the entrance been blocked be two more people, one was a more older gentleman in a brown suit the other a woman in her 20's. Each was holding a weapon of some kind, one was a bat the other a tazer and they rushed toward him. The man lifted the bat above his head and swung down toward Andy's skull and he leaned to the right to avoid it pulling out the switchblade he had just retained and swung it open, only to have his arm met with a sudden burst of pain.

Before he knew it he was screaming at the top of his lungs, his eyes looking down at the tazer pressed to his right arm the skin burning at the contact. It felt real, very real... to real for his licking and by instinct he grabbed a pistol from his waist and directed it first at the man's skull and pulling the trigger. He saw the man's head collapse back before he turned the pistol toward the woman and rested the end of the barrel between her eyes and pulled the trigger. She collapsed back and finally the pain ended, his body quivering in pain as he fell forward onto the floor and blacked out.

Andy didn't know how long he had been unconscious, but when his senses finally returned he no longer felt the concrete of the floor in the game. He could hear rustling around and the humming of electronics around him. Something felt wrong and he dreaded what he would find when he opened his eyes, but slowly he did and looked around to see the game pod he was in. "What... did I lose?" he thought at first as he tried to sit up but found he couldn't move his body. He felt like he hadn't moved in years and his muscles were sore and throbbing in frustration. He decided instead to lay there for a moment and he turned his head to the room.

It seemed like years had passed in the room, signs of spider webs around the ceiling. His neck was sore and didn't want to look down at the ground just yet and he simple opened his mouth whimpering softly.

"W.what's going on...?"

John
02-24-2010, 06:14 AM
As the last two woke up, Chloe checked the computer to get their names and moved over to help them out of the pods. She handed a bottle of water to each of them and asked both Andy and Jericho to retrieve their belongings. While the contestants were out of the room, Chloe wiped the hard drive on the computer and removed the battery. It wasn’t long before all of the contestants had returned, dressed and staring at Chloe waiting for the answer to their question. But it was Lory who spoke up first. Chloe wasn’t sure what to make of Lory. Chloe thought she seemed aggressive and was worried she might pose a problem. But she also wondered if Lory’s attitude might change once she found out where they were.

“Now that you’ve all changed,” Chloe began, her tone sounding a little sad. “I guess I owe you some answers. I have to admit I don’t really know how to tell all of you this. In fact, I have a feeling you may not even believe me. I’m not sure I even believe it myself.” Chloe was stalling. Once she saw the contestants in their clothes, she actually had no trouble believing it. Their clothes were clean and in good condition. They definitely looked like they didn’t belong here. It made Chloe start to cry a little.

“You have all been in the pods a lot longer than you were supposed to be.” Chloe looked down at the ground. She didn’t want to make eye contact with any of them. What she was going to say would affect them deeply. “I guess the easiest way to start would be by telling you the date. By your calendar, today is June fifth, twenty-three fifty-two.’ Chloe raised her head and didn’t give them a chance to respond. There was still more to tell them.

“The world you know is gone,” Tears were rolling down Chloe’s cheeks but her voice was steady. “It was destroyed by a virus. I believe you would have called it AIDS. We call it the Phage. It caused a large portion of the population to mutate, and those infected, went on a rampage and the major cities were destroyed.” Chloe felt like she wanted to vomit. She had told other people bad news in her line of work, but nothing which compared to this.

“You will have to forgive me, but I don’t have all the details. A lot of records have been lost over the years and most of our history is passed down through word of mouth.” Chloe didn’t like having the knowledge they needed, but in her mind, ancient history was irrelevant. The only thing that mattered was the safety of the contestants and the greater purpose they could serve.

“Now I know you have a lot of questions, and I will do my best to answer them. But time is of the essence. We shouldn’t linger here and need to get moving” Chloe had a concerned look on her face and her tone reflected this.

Kirra
02-25-2010, 12:57 AM
"Three hundred years." Dan was stunned. It was only for an instant, but a look of terror could be seen on his face. The world he lived in was gone. His family, friends, even his child. They where all dead. A slight quiver went through his face before he regained his composure. 'How could they be gone. I will never know He would be strong for the others. He had to be. This world would be nothing like before. And he was be the only one from this group who had dealt with a strange and savage world. And they would need a guide.

Dan walked over to the woman named Chloe. She was the only one in this world who they had met. But could they really trust her? He had been lead into traps before, and he knew better than simply trust a person because they were offering help. Dan decided it was best to give her an ultimatum for his trust. "I will go with you on the condition that you give me one of the guns you carry. You can't expect my trust otherwise."

"Um... okay, how about this then." Chloe looked in amazement at Dan. "When I decide that I can trust you, I will give you a weapon. You have no idea what is out there. And without me you've no chance in hell of surviving. You need to earn my trust, not the other way around."

Dan understood her reasoning, but he wasn't about to simply let her lead them. "Sound reasoning. But why should we believe you are someone we can trust. You say trust is earned but don't care to try and earn ours. I won't let these guys walk into a trap. I can be reasonable, but I will not be foolish."

“Look, I am going to make this really simple for you,” Chloe had a stern look on her face and she sounded perturbed. “We need to get out of the city. I am willing to take you with me. I am not going to give anyone a weapon until I am one hundred per cent sure that I can trust you. You can either come with me or stay here. But I guarantee the next people you meet will not make you such a kind offer. You’re not in Kansas anymore Dorothy. So you are going to listen to me and do what I say, and just maybe, we will all survive long enough to get to safety."

Dan smiled down to the girl. He looked down at the dog who was next to the girl. He walked over to the beauty hound and knelt down in front of it. The dog seemed slightly nervous at his movement but didn't react. Dan knew exactly how to approach the dog. He showed his hand to the dog, palm up, and waited. It started sniffing his hand and licked it a few times. When it felt comfortable, Dan moved in closer. He started petting the dog and let it lick his face. He rubbed behind it's ears and patted it's back.

Dan looked up at their supposed ally. He wasn't completely sure, but the dog seemed to be here by choice and not force. That let him ease up. "You know animals are suppose to know a persons true heart. They can tell their masters desires more so than the master. Some say they can even tell the difference between a good and bad person simply by smelling them." Dan smiled widely at the girl while continuing to play with the pooch.

“Yes Dan,” Chloe smiled. "But it’s not the Butch’s decision, it’s mine. So can you please just do what I tell you for now. I’m not going to change my mind, and WE don’t have time to debate this in a committee.”

Dan stood back to his full height. "You misunderstand." He smiled. "I am referring to you. Dogs don't simply follow if they don't trust a person. He is the reason I will follow you. But I do expect answers soon." His smile never faded.

(Co-op with naz)

Merry
02-25-2010, 04:33 AM
Penny changed back into her street clothes quickly, leaving the game suite on the floor near the lockers. Glad to be rid of it. It was itchy and bulky. Definitely not her size. Trying not to think about what was going on, and why they were all out of the pods. Maybe the show was canceled or something. That would just suck. She was trying to maintain her calm, but everyone was acting weird. They were all weak, and stumbling about. The studio was a mess, and when that guy Dan, she thought he said, had pulled her away, it was nice not to think about it. It was easy to forget that she had seen the skeleton, missing a head, on the floor. It was probably a prop or something. Someone handed her a container with water, so she took a drink. It was like she had never tasted water before. She began gulping it in large chugging swallows, practically choking on it. Not paying to much attention to the red head talking. Water! Who would have thought it could taste like this. She wondered what was in it. I mean, they must have put something in there, she felt as if she could drink it forever. Suddenly realizing that everyone was rapt with attention at the speech being given, she started to pay attention to what was being said.

It didn’t really register what Chloe had said, until Dan repeated it. Three Hundred Years The astonishment of what he said slowly sinking in, the distress of it registering on her face. “You can’t be serious” she blurted out, as he was patting the dog, not even hearing the rest of their conversation, her attention completely focused on the one thing, the present date, 2352. “Come on, You’re joking… right? I mean, we can’t have been in there that long!” She started to move forward toward Chloe, her features becoming harsh. “This is not funny, not funny at all! Who...Who do you think you are trying to scare us like this!” almost nose to nose now with Chloe. “Who’s coming to get us, and I don’t give a damn about the dog liking anyone!” her voice bordering on hysterical “I want answers, and I want them now” poking her finger toward Chloe’s chest.

Cookies Ahoy
02-25-2010, 04:52 AM
Starr walked cautiously down the dim hallway to the room that contained her locker. She felt so confused at the moment.

As she fumbled for the key she needed, Starr thought to herself, Why's there dust everywhere? Dust means things have sat around for a long time, and that would explain the... the... bones. I don't think anyone could survive very long sitting in one of those pods there, but people have been in comas for a long time. I guess that's kinda like being in stasis.

Starr opened her locker, the hinges squeaked as the door opened. She looked around for anyone coming, she didn't like people seeing her change. As she pulled off the virtual reality suit, Starr heard footsteps. She quickly grabbed everything from her locker and crept into a closet that was on the other side of the room. She waited until it sounded like the others had left, then began to put on her normal clothing. Before leaving the closet, she looked at her camera. The lenses all seemed to be in fine condition. She checked the battery, it was a fusionex, it wasn't going to be out of energy for a long time. A battery like that was expensive, but compared to the other camera equipment Starr had purchased, it was cheap. Last she looked at her camera, all seemed fine, but when she turned it on the date was way off. It read "June 5th, 2352".

"That can't be right!" Starr said aloud.

She stepped back into the room moments later, only to have her fears confirmed by Chloe. She dropped the suit Chloe had asked her to bring back. Tears began to well up in her, she blinked hard to hold them back, but the realization of losing everything near and dear to her was too much. She didn't listen to Dan and Chloe's exchange, or Penny's freak out, her emotions were blocking our the world. Starr just stood still and waited quietly for whatever was going to happen next.

Yoruyonaka
02-27-2010, 01:09 PM
The clothes Rissa slipped on were exactly how she left them. Her necklace was untarnished and the Jack Skellington band intact. The only the the seemed out of place was the surroundings. Why is this happening? What is happening? Although Rissa hoped for the truth, she didn't know it would end up so horrific. She had been quiet since falling out of the pod. Weakened by what seemed like a long sleep. It was when the woman, Chloe, said the days date, did Rissa truly lose it.

"...June fifth, twenty-three fifty-two..."

These were the only words the Rissa understood. Whatever happened three hundred years ago, the contestants were put into a cryosleep. Three hundred years. That meant all of Rissa's friends were dead. That her father was dead. That she never saved her mother. That everyone and everything was gone from that time. Oh yeah. Rissa lost it.

"Why us? Huh? Why the hell do we bloody deserve this hell?! huh?!" Rissa's words came before thought; they came from complete and total anguish. "Our past lives are gone. The people we love are gone. You think we can just move on and follow you?! Huh 'Chloe', or whatever your name is, because you could be lying and using us. Give me one good reason I shouldn't take me foot and jam in the smart mouth of yours? Like Penny I want answers, and I want them now!"

Everyone took the news differently. Dan was calm, Starr cried, and Penny, like Rissa, flipped out. However, Rissa wasn't kidding about beating the hell out of Chloe for answers. If that woman raises that gun at me, she will get a big surprise. She clenched her fists, glaring at Chloe. What happened to this world we used to live in?

John
02-28-2010, 04:22 AM
Chloe breathed a sigh of relief as Dan backed off. He expected answers and Chloe had every intention of giving them to him. But first she wanted to make sure they were all safe. Leaning down to pet the head of her dog, things began to spiral out of control. Penny started to go off on Chloe. She didn’t believe the story which Chloe had told. In fact, Chloe was having hard time believing it herself. It was then that she noticed Starr, crying quietly to herself. Chloe got the strangest sense of déjà vu form Starr. Despite the fact of never meeting her before, there was something so familiar about her.

What happened next actually surprised Chloe. Rissa began her own little freak out session and actually raised her fists and started to threaten Chloe. Instantly, Butch rose to his feet and began to growl at Rissa, moving towards her cautiously. Chloe turned to Butch and said a single word, ”stay.” The dog immediately sat back down but still growled at Rissa. As Chloe turned back to Rissa. She put her hands up as if she had a gun held on her and moved slowly closer.

“If you really feel you have to hit me,” Chloe’s voice was soft. “Then do so. But I’m not the enemy here. And believe me when I say that if I was, none of you would be alive to argue the point. So hit me if you must.” Chloe wanted to say more to Rissa. She wanted to hug her in order to calm her down, maybe even just place a hand on her shoulder, but there was still the problem of Penny. She wanted answers and unfortunately, Chloe could only think of one way to prove what she was saying.

“Listen to me,” Chloe was still calm when she spoke to Penny, but she had raised her voice slightly. “I can understand that you don’t believe any of this. If I were in your shoes, I probably wouldn’t believe this either.” Chloe sighed deeply and then addressed all the contestants.

“If there is anyone who is still having a hard time swallowing this, follow me and I will prove it to you.” Chloe picked up the hammer which was still leaning against the desk and rested it on her shoulder. “Butch, come.” The dog hopped to it’s feet and Chloe began the walk to the front door of the building they were in. She didn’t look back to see if the contestants were following, she didn’t need to. It was a safe assumption that most, if not all of the contestants would want to see what Chloe had to show them. Once at the door, Chloe pulled it open and walked into the streets of Los Angeles.

The wind was blowing and the breeze felt good against her face. Chloe quickly scanned the area, looking for signs of movement amongst the rubble and overturned cars. The buildings were cracked and aged by the years they had stood in neglect. There was also the smell in the air. Though Chloe was used to it, it was doubtful the contestants would be. It was a smell of decay. Everything around them was either dying or already dead. If this didn’t convince them, Chloe didn’t know what would. Walking over to a shopping cart with three duffel bags in it, Chloe threw the hammer inside and looked at Butch.

“Guard,” The dog barked once as if in agreement and sat in front of the cart. Chloe turned back to look at the contestants, Penny in particular. At this moment, Chloe didn’t envy any of them. They had been woken from a three hundred year sleep, only to be plunged into a nightmare.

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv46/nazguljcg/33746.jpg

The Gypsy Queen
03-02-2010, 01:16 AM
Lory imagined that if her brain had been a machine, like the ones she worked with at the foundry, it would have made a loud clunk and ground to a halt, gears screaming in protest, before giving off a long hiss.

Crumbled concrete crunched beneath her feet as she stepped out of the studio fully, eyes wide as she surveyed the destruction and struggled to comprehend what was happening.

She watched Chloe go with the hammer and almost strode after her, determined to have the familiar weight on her shoulder, but she stopped herself. Dog bites hurt.

Lory blinked slowly as what little emotion had registered on her face faded. She mentally shut herself down, stopped the feelings before they fully started, and promised herself a good solid freak out later.

" What happened? How did this all happen? And what's the hurry?" She asked, voice low and strong.

Ghexn
03-02-2010, 01:33 AM
As Paul changed out of the VR suit and into his normal street clothes, he thought about all this girl chloe had told them and his mind started to go blank. This is to much to think about right now. God, why can't things ever be simple for once in my fucking life! He had always had a habit of swearing when he was tense, but now he was swearing because he didn't know what else to do. He finished changing and grabbed his laptop bag. He walked back to the main room while slinging the bag across his back, making it easier for him to move while holding it. He stopped dead in his tracks as he heard chloe's last bit of information.

No way, no fucking way. This can't be right. He was tempted to take his computer out right then and there and check the date, but he realized he didn't need to. The state of decay of the room and the skeletons were more then enough to verify everything that she had just told them. Hisd mind actually went blank this time and he realized that he couldn't even form a coherent thought within his head.

As he followed the others outside, he felt as though he had just been punched in the gut about twenty times, because he couldn't believe what he was seeing. Buildings around them were crumbling, the pavement under his feet was almost like dust, and everything had the strong, unmistakable scent of death. He started to shake but then forced himself to think of other things, and computer codes once more ran through his head.

Stay calm, everything is going to be alright. He looked around and started to realize that he wasn't even the most freaked out about all of this. That gave him a small comfort that at least he would be able to do something for once in his life instead of just sitting back and watching everything happen. "So, what the fuck are we supposed to do now then?"

Yoruyonaka
03-04-2010, 03:54 AM
Oh my god, Rissa thought glancing at the desolate image of LA. My home, is gone. My life is nothing. What could she do now. It was obvious. Rissa had to follow Chloe to the great beyond. The great nothing. After fazing back into reality, Rissa stepped towards Chloe with a more calm, but still freaked out, exterior.

"What happened here?" Rissa asked. "Where is everyone?"

"Like I said," Chloe began. "Most of them are gone. There are, of course still small pockets of humanity scattered about what remains of The United States. But most were killed by the Phage." She turned her head to look at Lory. “As for why we need to get moving, and what we are going to do now,” Chloe looked sideways at Paul. “We need to get to Santa Clarita. It’s a small settlement and it’s safe, for the most part. But we really need to get out of LA. Not all the infected died. Some of them mutated. My people call them Harvesters. They call themselves The Brood. The Phage is systematically shutting down their bodies. As a result, they capture those who aren’t mutated and harvest body parts from them.” Chloe stepped forward and placed a hand on Rissa’s shoulder.

“I just want to help all of you if you will let me.”

Rissa's eyes widened. Was it like this the zombie apocalypse? Sure sounds like it to me. Chloe described this all so suddenly the Rissa nearly puked. Nearly.

"So your saying everyone, that is other than the human survivors, has turned into zombies?" Rissa asked Chloe trying to keep her composure. "And they-they...harvest living humans'...body parts?" This was going to be tough for her. She had an issue with panic attacks. Rissa worried she might have an attack again.

“What’s a zombie?” Chloe had a look of confusion on her face. This was a word she didn’t know. Mind you, she had a feeling given the time difference between her and the contestants, this was something which would happen from time to time.

Rissa literally laughed. More of a not amused laugh, but a what-the-fuck-is-wrong-with-this-picture-laugh. She stared at this girl in shock. I guess I should explain...a zombie. Funny really seeing how we have been at disadvantage so far.

"Okay...so a zombie is like your Harvesters," Rissa began. "The big difference is, they didn't exist during our time. You see zombies are people infected and turn like undead. They eat human flesh and think like animals. Barbaric animals. You get it now?"

“Um…okay,” Chloe couldn’t understand if zombies didn’t actually exist, how there could be a comparison. But right now, it didn’t matter. “The Harvesters are intelligent, though they weren’t always. From what we know, in the beginning, they were feral and mindless. Over time they evolved and became even more dangerous. They don’t eat human flesh, just utilize it. And believe me when I say, they will be quite interested in all of you.”

Rissa's only input after what Chloe said is, "That sucks." What else was there to say? So we were basically sitting ducks. These Harvesters wanted to take our body parts and...harvest them?

"So your saying these harvesters want us, not to eat, but to utilize our parts?" Rissa was really freaked out now. "Okay, okay...deep breath Rissa."

Chloe opened her pack and removed the medical kit from it. Pulling out a small penlight, she brought up her hands and shone it into Rissa’s eyes. After a moment, she removed a stethoscope and listened to Rissa’s heart. She listened to Rissa’s heart beating, sounding as if it was going to burst from her chest.

“Is there a history of heart problems in your family? It's okay, I'm a doctor.”

Rissa blinked as the light flashed in her eyes. "My great grandfather had a heart attack and lived. They say this is some strange case with me. And what the hell, you're a doctor?"

“My mother was a doctor,” Chloe removed a small pill bottle form the medical kit. “She taught me everything she knew. She was quite brilliant actually.” Chloe was smiling but had a look of sadness in her eyes. Removing a pill from the bottle, she handed it to Rissa.

“Take this. It will help to calm you for now. When we get to Santa Clarita, I would like to examine you a little more closely. Now unless there are anymore questions, I need to retrieve those suits you were wearing, and we need to get going.”

Rissa grabbed the pill. It looked strange, but the whole situation was, so she downed it. Whatever was happening, Rissa would have to just go along with it.

[co-op with nazguljcg]

Merry
03-04-2010, 03:19 PM
the brood, harvesting, zombies, body parts the words just kept swirling around her mind like a dark little cloud of horror. It was like a mantra over and over getting louder inside her head until she felt like she was going to be unable to function, caught up in the in fear if she didn't stop it. Looking out on the desolation around them, the broken buildings and the utter destruction she couldn't breath right, it was almost as if her mind was trying to reject what her eyes were seeing, refusing to pretend any more. Her breath was coming in little gasp, little catches as her eyes saw the broken world around them. A dusty breeze blowing up the street bringing with it bits of paper, and dirt and trash. It was real, this... this horror was real. body parts, body part, body parts She had to turn away, it was too overwhelming, it was creeping into her brain and starting to overtake her, threatening to paralyze her completely.

She turned her attention to the dog, sitting, waiting for this girl that seemed to be it's companion. The dog's tongue slightly hanging out of it's mouth, as it was panting in anticipation of something. Probably of the girl giving it something else to guard or do. She wondered how a dog had survived, randomly looking at it's coat. It seemed soft and cared for, didn't appear to be starved or anything. "You're a doctor? broke her thoughts back to the others in the group, they all appeared in various states of shock, and noticing what was going on with the girl Rissa. Seems the other girl was having a hard time with this all as well. Penny watched as Chloe gave her some pill, and told her about an exam later, something about a group of other people, survivors as well. Everything just seemed to be so surreal, and insane. How had it come to this, what were they going to do now? There was nothing left, nothing. Looking around, there was nothing of value here. It was gone, all of it. Gone. It slowly sank in. Game Over.

A small tear escaped her eye slowly rolling down her cheek, before she could stop it. It was hot and burned her skin as it made it's track on her flawless skin toward her jaw. Crying? She was Crying? She hadn't cried since she was a little girl. She quickly wiped it away, before anyone could see it. She didn't cry, crying was for wimps, for babies, for people that didn't know their worth. She was not going to stand there and cry like some little nobody. Feeling her fingers starting to clench in her hands, her nails digging into her palms, the slight pain almost a welcome thing, a pleasant distraction from the tear, from the fear. Anger was something she could deal with, something she welcome even. It gave her focus, cleaned the slate a little. Anger was a recognized, comfortable feeling, like putting on your favorite sweater. You knew how it felt, and how it should react. Anger gave her back a little of her confidence. She wore it like an armor, hard and unyielding. Feeling sorry for anything, even herself, was not something she could deal with at all. It was weak, and she was not weak.

"Well, let's go then" she spoke abruptly, with a curt edge to her voice, "We can't just stand her and wonder, I will not be harvested for anything. Get us the hell out of here, since you seem to be in charge of this nightmare" she stood looking toward Chloe, her face carefully masked back toward its usual aloof appearance. The fear and the vulnerability hastily filed away, for now.

Cookies Ahoy
03-06-2010, 01:24 AM
Starr followed the others outside, dragging the VR suit she had dropped earlier across the floor. She was still sniffling, her sadness just made her more submissive. The group's steps echoed across the ancient hallways of the studio. Starr tried to quiet her crying, she was sure it would begin to annoy others. It would also help her feel better if she could suppress her emotions. The best way she had learned to do that was to take pictures, it took her mind off things. Hefting her Nikon camera up and putting the neck strap on, Starr turned it on and began to look for something interesting to photograph while she walked. The hallways were much to dark for a good exposure and she didn't find anything that exactly pleased her.

As the group approached the exit of the studio, Starr armed her camera with a UV filter. She wanted to get a picture of the outside. As the door opened and the light began to pour through the doorway, Starr pressed down on the shutter button and looked through the lens with a blinded eye. As her eyes began to adjust, she looked down at the camera's display. The picture shocked Starr. Buildings were fallen, roads shredded, the great city that once stood so proud had been killed. She let out a small gasp, then felt tears begin to well up again. There was absolutely no way Starr could doubt Chloe now. She pulled her sunglasses out of her camera bag, in an attempt to hide her tears. She tried to make it look like it was just the sun bothering her eyes. The picture was a perfect display of how Starr felt, destroyed.

Starr listened to Chloe explain what the phage had done, what the harvesters did, and most importantly, and to her horror, what they did. She had seen zombie movies in her earlier life, but she hadn't put much thought into them. She had always thought it was impossible for such a feat to be achieved. These harvesters seemed to be the closest thing to a zombie she had ever heard of.

Starr looked around once more, trying to find another area to photograph. She really wanted to take her mind off things. She saw an old car that had been thrashed and beaten. Patches and flecks of white paint still remained, but the rust and weathering was slowly eating away at the small car. Starr sighed, everything around her was just plain depressing.

"Here's my suit," Starr said without emotion in her voice, "Can we get going soon?"

John
03-08-2010, 05:23 AM
Chloe Reynolds

“Thank you,” Chloe smiled at Starr and tossed the suit in the cart. “All of you wait here and don’t move.” Chloe’s expression was serious and she walked back into the studio. It only took her a few minutes to retrieve the other contestants’ VR suits. Once she had returned to the others, she placed the suits in the cart and turned to them.

“Okay, let’s get going,” Chloe moved to the back of the cart and grasped the handle. “All of you should keep talking to a minimum. At least for a bit.” Chloe pushed the cart, which was difficult for her, given her size and the weight of the items in the cart. The streets were broken and had large holes in them. Which made things even more difficult. After about twenty minutes, Chloe stopped for a moment to catch her breath and looked at the contestants.

“We are safe now. At least until the sun goes down,” Chloe smiled. “If any of you want to talk, go ahead. Just don’t be too loud. Even though they can’t come out in the daytime, it would be better if the Harvesters didn’t know we were here.” Chloe continued to push the cart. She knew these streets well and knew they could still make it out of LA in time. But right now, she was worried about the contestants. They had slept for three hundred years, and she didn’t want to tell them that they didn’t really have time to stop and eat.

Butch stayed in step alongside Chloe while they walked. Chloe reached into the car and pulled out what looked like a dead rat. She threw it to Butch and he started to greedily chomp at it while walking alongside her.

Lory quickened her pace to lead the contestants. She felt somewhat responsible for them and still wanted her hammer. She was also curious as to where they were being led. Suspicions raced through her head but she kept silent, not sure what to make of this situation.

" Where are we going?" she asked finally.

“Santa Clarita,” Chloe smiled. “It’s not much, but it’s home. And all of you will be quite welcome there.”

Lory's face remained expressionless as she weighed the options. She didn't know anything about this woman and she had no weapons to protect herself or the other contestants. She didn't really think that Chloe would harm them... but she didn't trust much any more.

Instead of speaking, she inclined her head towards the hammer questioningly.

A strained look came over Chloe’s face. She didn’t want them to have weapons yet. How could she know for sure if one of them would freak out or not? Or worse, try to run.

“Why do you need it so bad?” Chloe looked at Lory inquisitively.

Lory puffed a breath through her nose, steady eyes on Chloe, unblinking and emotionless.

" Awful hard looking country. Dumb to be unarmed."

Chloe couldn’t help thinking that Lory had a point. It wasn’t a good idea to be unarmed, but it led to too many other problems. No doubt the others would want weapons too. And while Chloe figured she had a good shot of overpowering Lory, with Butch’s help of course, she doubted her chances were as good against someone with a firearm. Which was all she had to give. And then, not enough to go around. But still, Chloe had to start trusting them sooner or later.

“Do I have your word,” Chloe’s expression was serious and her tone stern. “That you won’t try to do anything to me or the others. And understand something, if you break your word to me, things will go very badly for you. When a scavenger gives their word, it is their bond. Because generally speaking, it’s all we have.”

Lory blinked slowly, considering. She'd never thought herself particularly bright so that usually took time, but the answer was simple enough. She licked her lips, craving a cigarette.

" Haven't got cause to try." she said, voice low and quiet. " Never start a fight. Always finish it."

Chloe stopped the cart and turned to look at Lory. Chloe stared deep into her eyes, almost as if trying to bore a hole into Lory’s soul.

“Then give me your word.” Chloe’s expression was serious.

Lory puffed another breath through her nose, a sort of half chuckle. Chloe didn't intimidate her in the least. Her steely eyes didn't blink as she stared back, calm and emotionless.

" I give my word." she said slowly.

Chloe smiled and motioned at the hammer. Turning away form Lory, she looked at the other contestants.

“Now I don’t suppose any of you actually know hoe to use a gun by chance?” Chloe hoped that at least one of them had some knowledge.

-------

Scout

Scout sat in the shadows in one of the more dilapidated buildings in LA. He sat quietly, picking at bits of himself. His face was starting to sag and had covered part of his mouth so that his breathing was forced and hissed. What he was watching, interested him greatly.

Scout watched as a woman pushed a cart up the street and entered one of the buildings. He was too far away to try anything, but he could always follow her when she came out. Though she did have a dog, and that would make things more difficult. It would be able to smell him coming. Still, Scout was patient.

After some time passed, the woman emerged with a group of people. Scout had to blink a couple of times to convince himself it wasn’t a hallucination or mirage of some kind. As he watched them talking to the woman in black, a smile appeared on his face, if you could call it a smile. It caused the one side of his face to drop even more, barring his teeth on one side of his mouth. The pressure from his face sagging caused one of his eyes to become partially dislodged fro the socket. He pushed it back in and started to move. He had to get back to master. Had to tell him what he had seen. And if Scout was right, Master would be very interested in these new people. And if Scout was fast enough, he could bring others and they could capture them. Oh yes, these people were very important.

(co op post with Gypsy)

Kirra
03-08-2010, 07:19 AM
Dan followed the others through the door way and out of the building. It was devastation. The test of time had happened, and it had appeared that the city failed. "The world has already started to take it back. Dan looked at the vines starting over take some of the buildings. There where small creatures running around. It wouldn't be long before they would run into larger creatures. Maybe a dear or elk to use for food.

Dan listened as Chloe explained what was going on. Nothing she said really phased him. Being quite was something normal for traveling in harsh terrain. But the explanation of what they where up against bothered him a little. They harvested organs. An odd habit that Dan hoped he wouldn't have to see.

“Now I don’t suppose any of you actually know hoe to use a gun by chance?”

Dan raised his hand. "I'm no sniper, but I know my way around a weapon." The smile on his face never faded.

Chloe looked at Dan, the resignation showing in her eyes. Somehow, she knew he would be the first to speak up. Rooting around the cart, she produced a hunting rifle. "Ever use a rifle before."

Dan reached for the rifle and looked it over. He checked the stock and the barrel. He then checked chamber for ammunition. "A safari 55o game rifle. I've used this kind before.

The moment Dan took the rifle, Chloe's hand moved to her belt and her dog started to growl. "I'd really suggest you lower that and give me your word. Or WE will have a problem."

Dan smiled at the girl and handed her the butt of the rifle so the barrel was facing him. He had no reason to make her upset. "Sorry if I startled you. I won't do anything against you. As long as you don't put us in danger, I promise no to try and harm you."

Chloe placed her hand on the rifle and glared at Dan. "Your word."

Dan's smile never left his face. "You have my word. But you should know, this rifle needs cleaned badly. Got anything I can fix it up with.

"Not here," Chloe shook her head. "and know really wouldn't be the best time."

"Then I have one question," Dan looked out into the wild world. "How do we kill these harvesters? Do they die like we do?"

"They are people," Chloe looked confused. "How would you expect to kill them?"

It would be that easy. Humans could die an almost limitless amount of ways. "I see. So are we ok then?" Dan made no move to take the rifle from her grip. He wanted to be sure that Chloe felt safe enough to let him hold it.

Chloe released the gun and turned back to the other constants, wondering who else would want a weapon and if they would be in any fit shape to use it.

Dan understood her release as the sign of conformation. He strapped the rifle over his shoulder. He then walked to the edge of a broken street and looked outward. So this was the world now. Dan refused to admit it out loud, but something in this world seemed to call to him from the instant he awoke. It was if he fit in this world more than the one he was born into. And the pulling feeling only got stronger as he peered into the great devastation.

Lerouge
03-18-2010, 06:16 PM
Andrew followed the others into the changing room and found the locker that he had previously left his clothes only hours ago. Hours... now that was an interesting concept. he thought to himself as he pulled the locker door off it's hinges with minimal effort. "They really weren't lying..." was the last things he said before he dropped the door onto the floor with a gentle clang and allowed his arms to simply dangle at his side. For a moment it felt as if he was going to sink into the floor below him and he sat back onto the bench behind him with a gasp. It had been years since he had felt empty like this and he remembered grabbing a gun and holding it against the temple of his skull for almost an hour. He didn't pull the trigger... he was just a coward and would never do it.

Andy's leaned his head forward and resting his forehead against the palms of his hands and covered his eyes. The cool darkness his hands provided seemed to be the only thing he could feel as the rest of his being floated in space. This is what he assumed nothingness felt like and he was beginning to enjoy it, maybe this is what the end of this dumb adventure will hold? Suddenly he stood up and his eyes widened staring at the wall, of course! This is just like the game... it must be. He thought as his hand went instinctively to the sleeve of his outfit and began pulling it up. He managed to pull it up to his shoulder and examined his arm turning it around and running his fingers over the skin looking for a mark to verify his thoughts. He didn't see it...

"Maybe... this is real?" He muttered to himself as he pulled off his clothes and tossed them aside. Andy's body moved with little strength and he felt as if he might collapse any minute as he pulled the button up shirt onto his bare body and left the buttons undone as he grabbed the jeans and boxers and returned them to his body. He was covered, as much as his energy would allow, and he followed the rest of the group. His eyes scared at the ground between his feet as the others spoke, it was as if he was in his own little world.

"Is it possible, but what does that mean for me... for us?" He continued muttering to himself gently his shoulders shaking slightly as he fought back the urge to run out of the room and escape it all. "Ya very funny Andy, just run away like you always do." His mind could hear the others laughing at him already and with a shake of his head he followed the others outside and stared at Chloe.

"I have been trained in most military weapons and am adept at hand to hand combat." He said as he walked up and prayed to god that the others didn't notice his shaking hands and legs. "I can take any weapon you have available... Chloe is it?"

Game or not... I joined this whole thing to become someone. Something stupid like the end of the world isn't going to stop me.

Cookies Ahoy
03-19-2010, 01:24 PM
Starr walked with the others, sometimes faster than most, sometimes slower. She wasn't really aware of it. She just kept thinking the whole ordeal was not possible. Every now and then she would snap a picture of something interesting, sometimes she would delete the picture if she changed her mind about the subject. It didn't matter much to her though, Starr was just trying to cope. She wasn't sure of how much time was passing, nor did she care much at the moment. The thought of the 'Brood' came into her mind every once in a while, that was probably what caused her to be near the front of the pack at times.

When the group stopped for a moment, Starr was switching lenses on her camera. Chloe squabbled with the one called Lori, Dan ended up getting a rifle from Chloe. Starr wasn't necessarily interested in having a firearm on her. She didn't trust her gun skills much anyway. Her camera gave her comfort though. She shuffled through her camera bag, trying to find her wide angle lens. Some of the landscape looked interesting enough for a photo. Starr snapped a few pictures, the cameras shutter giving a familiar and satisfying flicking noise.

“Why are you doing that?” Chloe looked at Starr smiling, a tone of curiosity accompanying the words.

Starr jumped a little as she was intently looking at the view screen of her camera, "Doing what? Oh this? I'm a... taking pictures of, well, stuff. You've seen a camera before right?" Starr asked, not trying to sound rude, but rather curious.

“Yes,” Chloe smiled. “I’ve seen a camera before. But I don’t understand why you are taking pictures of this.” Chloe motioned to the ruins with her hand.

Starr looked at the ground, then back out towards the ruins. She looked at the picture on the camera's preview screen. Then showed it too Chloe.

"The picture is kinda small here, but it looks interesting to say the least. That skyscraper right there," Starr pointed, "Used to stand hundreds of feet in the air," Starr paused for a moment, turning the camera off, "I guess why I'm really doing it is to help me cope with the past. This is all just too crazy," Starr stuffed her camera bag into its bag.

“I have seen pictures,” Chiloe walked closer and placed a hand on Starr’s shoulder. “I’m sorry. I didn’t think. I’m just so used to seeing all this that for a moment, I forgot how this must be for all of you. I’m sorry.”

Starr looked at Chloe, surprised at how much she cared, She's a really kind person, Starr thought.

"Its okay, Chloe. I'm learning to deal with it, and it helps to just face the problem rather than forget about it," Starr said with a little cheer in her voice.

“I’ll tell you what,” Claire stilted her head slightly and smiled. “When we get to Santa Clarita, I will show you something that will make you want to fill the memory on your camera. In the meantime, take as many pictures as you want. Especially if it’s helping.”

[Coop between me and Naz]

Merry
04-03-2010, 09:48 PM
Penny looked over at the girl, Rissa while she took the pill that Chloe offered her. wondering exactly what it was that she gave her. She looked pretty shaken up. But then again, they all did. Never being the one to care about others unless they were there doing something for her, she realized that might have to change, and soon.

If these were the last "normal" people left alive on this planet, they would need to rely on each other. It wasn't something she was sure she even knew how to do. She decided she needed a friend, the sooner the better. She suddenly felt very alone, something that not bothered her in the past, now seem huge and very important to change.

She sized up Rissa, realizing the rest of them had pretty much zoned out into their own little dark web of thoughts. She stepped closer to her and looking her in the eye with a soft "Hey" she began tentatively to pat her on the shoulder. "Are you going to be ok?" trying to sound sincere, not sure if she had pulled it off. "I'm Penny, which you probably already knew" letting her hand fall. "You feel ok?"

Rissa eyed Penny. Why does she want to talk to me? "I think I am okay, sort of..." Rissa glanced forward to Chloe who talked to Dan and Starr. "I guess I have some panic attacks in certain situations. Might have been stupid of me to even have tried that game show...but now I am here..."

The pain in her chest was throbbing. Like it's-hard-to-breath sort of pain. Rissa was lucky to not be in total shock where her heart feels like it will explode. Must have been the pill.

"Believe me, I had no idea what I was getting into with this, I for certain didn't expect this, shit" Penny said her voice raising a little, gesturing around them with her hands. "Look, I really suck at this whole personal relationship thing, friends and what ever. But I'm really, really freaked out right now. You seem like a decent person, what say you and I help each other out? You don't look so good right now. You look like you're gonna pass out any second. I for one don't plan on being anyone's body part anytime soon. Let's stick together, ok? You'll be like my first friend, ever" she laughed, a sad little laugh that had nothing to do with mirth and sounded a lot closer to hysteria than anything else.

"Come here" she moved to the side of the door way, there was a the remnants of what had been an office chair, it was missing the arms and part of the back, but it was still something to sit on. Brushing the chair seat, patting it a bit, watching as the dust flew off it in waves "Sit here a minute, catch your breath" wiping her hands on her jeans. "I don't think I can pick you up if you fall down, so sit before you do, ok?"

Eying the chair, Rissa glanced back at Penny. "First off, shouldn't we keep moving," she replied to Penny. "And second, I guess I could be your friend, but why me?"

The pain in Rissa's chest was continuous. She was nervous and stressed by the situation. Her stomach was twisting and turning with every aspect of the destroyed area. With her family gone, her friends, everything important to her, its like her heart just gave up.

"Well, first off you really don't look good, and I think we can sit a minute so you can catch your breath, the rest of them" gesturing toward the others of the group "don't seem to be in any rush, at all. And why you? well" she hesitated looking away, unable to bring her eyes toward the other girl "I'm afraid" she said softly bringing her eyes back to see the reaction she was going to receive. "I said it, and that's all there is. I figure we can look out for each other, and you look like you need help right now before you fall down".

Rissa slumped into the chair and took a deep breath. Why do I have to be the weak one, she thought. Penny actually seemed to be telling the truth, about being afraid. Hell, Rissa was terrified, but better to make a friend then sinking in sorrow.

"Sure," Rissa said looking at Penny. "Let's be friends. I could use one seeing as there's nothing else to really have."

The street was crumbled under her feet. The sky dank and polluted. To think one species could forever destroy a planet. Rissa blinked back tears. Calm down, Rissa, calm.... Her sight was fading. Something wasn't right. Whatever it was, her chest was screaming. Darkness fell, like this whole nightmare. Rissa fell from the chair and was out.

"Help! Hey! Help me! Chloe, anyone!" Penny yelled out toward the group as she scrambled to catch Rissa before she hit the ground. Grabbing the other girl and holding on tight. Hoping someone heard her and came quick. Trying to hold onto her in the chair. "We need help! I think she's fainted".

(co/op w/ Merry & Yoru)

John
04-05-2010, 04:48 AM
Chloe rushed over to Rissa, handing the pistol form the studio to Andrew as she passed. When she got there, she helped Penny lower Rissa to the ground. Chloe had grabbed the med kit from the cart as she moved and was now removing a stethoscope. She listened to Rissa’s heart, which was beating rapidly. After a moment she opened one of Rissa’s eyelids and shone the penlight into it. As far as Chloe could tell, Rissa had fainted from an anxiety attack.

“Did she complain of chest pains and have trouble breathing before she passed out?” Chloe looked at Penny who nodded in reply. Putting the light away, she removed a small vial with a brown liquid in it. Chloe pulled the stopper from the vial and waved it underneath Rissa’s nose.

Rissa coughed as a strange scent ran into her nose. Her eyes rolled back as white foam formed in her mouth.

Chloe moved quickly as she reached for the med kit. She was surprised by the reaction Rissa was having. It was something she had never seen before. The liquid was made up of root extract. It smelled like a dog’s ass, but no one had ever had a reaction like this to it. It appeared to be an allergic reaction. Given the small amount of supplies she had on her, there was only one other thing she could try. She grabbed for a syringe and vial and injected Rissa with adrenaline.

The foam stopped forming from Rissa's mouth as her pulse remained a constant fast pace. Her eyes were closed now and her body was shaking feverishly.

Chloe ran quickly to the cart and grabbed a bottle of water and a shirt from one of the bags. She poured the water over the shirt soaking it and then started to wipe Rissa’s face and forehead. There wasn’t much more she could do here. Chloe only had limited supplies with her.

“Come on Rissa,” Chloe sounded concerned. “You gotta snap out of this.”

Rissa knew she was out and felt it too. There was darkness, but the pain was scary. She urged her body to wake up. Wake up! Fuck! Wake up! Rissa thought. A cold feeling rushed over her face. Felt like water. Rissa's eyes fluttered open to see Chloe standing over her with a wet T-shirt to Rissa's face.

“Thought I was going to loose you for a second there,” Claire smiled and breathed a sigh of relief. “You need to stay calm okay? Now, can you walk?”

Rissa looked up at Chloe and shook her head. Her legs were weak and the attack had her body all numb. She couldn't risk everyone's safety.

"Look," Rissa whispered weakly. "If I am endangering everyone here, you might as well leave me."

“I can’t do that,” Chloe smiled. “Now let’s get you up.” Chloe put her arms around Rissa and pulled her to her feet. Letting Rissa lean on her, she moved back over to the shopping cart.

“Just lean on me. I’m not leaving you behind, okay?”

"Why would you want to save me anyways?" Rissa asked leaning on Chloe.

“Never minding the fact that I am a nice person,” Chloe smiled comfortingly and started to push the cart. “No one deserves to die the way you would if I leave you here. Plus I think that you, all of you, can help me as well.”

Glancing around at the destruction, Rissa shivered. "Help you with what?" she asked.

"You see," Chloe replied softly. "Everyone here is infected with the phage. Now while we are only carriers and aren’t contagious, it has greatly reduced our lifespan. None of us live passed the age of forty. I am hoping that I can synthesize some kind of cure with your DNA since none of you carry the virus. But I can‘t do that if I can‘t get you out of here.”

A cure....for a virus. Short lifespan....synthesize from your DNA... Those words flashed through Rissa's already tired mind and she couldn't take much more. However, this was giving a meaning to her life. Saving Chloe and possibly others.

"Okay," Rissa said giving Chloe a determined look. "I'll help, if it means saving lives."

“Thank you,” Chloe smiled. “You don’t know how much that means to me. Now let’s get out of here.

It took about an hour for the group to reach the edge of the city. Once there, Chloe led the group for about another fifteen minutes before stopping at what looked like a crude campsite. She helped Rissa to sit on a log near to the fire pit and then began to remove some cans from one of the duffel bags. Taking her knife from her boot, she cut the cans open and started ot pass them out to the contestants.

“All of you must be quite hungry at the moment,” Chloe was smiling. “It’s not much, but it is meat. The taste is a little strange but you do get used to it.” Butch sat and eyed Chloe with drool running out of his mouth while Chloe handed out the cans of dog food to the contestants. Once she had finished, she sat on a rock and lit a fire. Once the fire was going, she started to eat.

(co op with Yoru)

The Gypsy Queen
04-15-2010, 11:13 PM
Lory crinkled her nose a bit at the food before digging in. She'd made do before, and she would again. Besides, it wasn't worst thing she'd ever eaten. It wasn't even that bad. Tasted like cheap Salisbury steak, the kind they serve in run down cafeterias, with equally cheap gravy, that had been run through a food processor.

The weight of the hammer against her leg was a comfort but a small one. She wasn't letting herself think. It was easier to stay in the same automatic mode she'd been in since she'd gotten into the pod. She felt nothing and thought nothing that wasn't a passing observation. She didn't share the other contestants' reactions. She just kept going.

The silence over the group was eerie, but the silence of the surrounding landscape was worse. It, more than anything else, unnerved her and wore at her. There were no birds, no bugs, and the landscape was still and quiet. The only living thing she'd seen that wasn't human was the dog, who's normalcy was almost just as unnerving.

She stopped thinking about it.

Chloe must have gotten tired of the silence, because she stopped eating and stood, moving over to a big rock near their campsite and climbing to the top of it. Lory watched quietly as their de facto leader observed the surrounding area calmly. The act made Lory more nervous - she didn't know anything about this world or the kind of dangers she should be looking out for. She straightened her back and glanced around. The setting sun cast strange twisted shadow and the falling darkness made the wasteland more stark and strange than before.

There was glint in the darkness and Lory squinted to get a better look at it, when the powerful boom of a rifle filled her ears, followed by the soft, sickening thud of a bullet tearing through flesh. Lory's head snapped around and she watched Chloe fall behind the rock even as she stood.

Lory snapped forward again, growling as she hefted her hammer. She didn't stand a chance against guns, but intimidation was never a bad thing. A group of roughly twelve men, dressed in tatters and apparently not a full mouth of teeth between the lot of them. The leader was in their midst, better dressed and appearing fairly normal, save for a long scar running from his forehead, over his eye, and down to his jawbone.

" Goddammit which one of you idiots shot that bitch Chloe?!" he bellowed. Lory kept her hammer up even as the large group trained their guns on her and the other contestants. She knew Dan and Andrew both had guns but that made only three of the contestants armed and one with a melee weapon. The odds were not in her favor. She kept still, eying the others and hoping they got the hint to do so as well.

" I-I did, Duke, I'm sorry, s-she drew her pistols and I thought-" one of the attackers, carrying a sniper rifle, spoke up.

" No one pays you to think, you gibbering idiot!" the leader, Duke bellowed. " She's wanted alive! Go find her and pray you didn't kill her!" The other man nodded and scurried behind the rock. As he did, Duke's eyes settled on the group. His expression changed slightly, eyes narrowed and lips drawn. Lory glared back and shifted her weight. She wasn't going down without a fight. Before anything more could develop, the sniper came hurrying back, fear drawn clearly on his face.

" She's not there! There's a lot of blood but no body!" he hurried to explain.

" Then she is alive. You three, go track her down and bring her back!" Duke gestured to three other men carrying rifles. He turned his gaze back on the contestants as they hurried away. " She can't have gotten far..." he muttered, watching the contestants the way Lory had seen ranchers look at cattle. " The rest of you lot will help me escort our 'guests' back to the camp." Lory shifted again, weighing her options. Quite of a few of the remaining rifle muzzles were aimed at her. " You lot, listen up! My name is Duke and you're coming with us. So drop any weapons now-" he glared at Lory. " - and cooperate, and no one gets hurt."

The armed men advanced and Lory tightened her grip on her hammer, glancing over to Andrew and Dan. Dan nodded back at her and moved to draw his gun, his movements quick and fluid. Before he could bring it to bear, though, a rifle went off and tore through his head with a hollow, sickening crunch. He crumpled limply to the ground, what was left of his head resembling a smashed watermelon. Lory looked away, back to Duke, sizing him up.

" Anyone else?" Duke said, meeting Lory's glare. " Drop your weapons." Lory glanced at the rest of the contestants. Most of them were unarmed. Dan was a sack of meat without a top to his head. She met Andrew's eyes and her expression changed, softening slightly before hardening again.

She didn't want anyone else to die.

She dropped her hammer, listening to the heavy thunk it made as it hit the ground. Then she lifted her hands above her head, leveling a steady glare on Duke. Her message was clear. She would cooperate, for now. She nodded to the other contestants, urging them to do the same.

Merry
04-17-2010, 03:11 AM
Walking. The process of putting one foot slightly in front of the other in a forward moving motion. Who would have thought it would be so horrible. After about an hour of it Penny didn’t think she could take any more. Step after painful step in her smart little heeled boots and she was ready to scream. There were blisters upon blisters on her feet. She just wasn’t cut out for this, at all. Daydreaming of all the limo rides and movie premiers she had been too, coming back to the sharp reality of this new existence, after tripping for what seemed the hundreth time that day over more rubble of the landscape, she felt like just giving up. Just to realize she was in the back of the back. Probably not the best idea, given that it was starting to get a little dark.

The only thing keeping her moving, was, frankly Rissa. After Rissa had fainted dead away, and Penny was pretty much, useless, she was feeling less than wonderful. Here she had made this grand speech about being friend, but when the girl had dropped like a stone, Penny had froze. She wasn’t prepared to take care of anyone. She could barely take care of herself. Seeing the girl, moving steadily ahead with the rest of the group, she had to admit, if only to herself, was impressive. She had to keep going, if she could do it, how could Penny give up? It didn’t matter really that her feet were throbbing so badly, she almost couldn’t walk. It was just amazing to her that the girl Rissa was keeping right up.

She couldn’t hide her relief when they did stop, for a rest. Chloe started passing out cans of food, and she was suddenly aware of her rumbling tummy when the smell hit her. Crinkling her nose, her stomach instantly queasy, she couldn’t do it. She recognized the smell at once, and just couldn't bring herself to eat it. She placed the can back on the edge of the rock she had parked herself on. Instead she leaned over and slipped her boots off, dumping the dust and whatever else had appeared in there, out. Hoping no one would notice that she hadn’t eaten. It wasn’t the first time she had bypassed food. She had starved herself for many a role, to go a day or two without food, would be a snap. Hopefully they would have something closer to real food, wherever they ended up. Hadn’t she mentioned it was only a few hours walk? Penny tried hard to remember, sighing in tired frustration when it wouldn’t come to her. Suddenly feeling very exhausted.

Gently rubbing her aching feet, she reluctantly pulled the boots back on, her toes screaming in agony when suddenly the sharp crack of gun stopped her short. Diving forward, cowering in the dirt and rocks, she heard the sound of voices and then more shots and someone falling to the ground. Covering her head with her hands, hoping to appear invisible to whom ever this was attacking them. She slowly peeked between closed fingers, realizing with a pang of sadness that it was the guy Dan. He had been kinda sweet, helping Penny when they first woke up to this horror story. Biting her fingers to stop the scream that was threatening to bubble up, she froze, closing her eyes from the site of his blood pouring out of the large hole in his skull as he lay a few feet from her on the ground. Peeking instead toward the sound of the voices, toward their captors. Forcing her eyes to look away from the lifeless corpse.

Listening as they told them to drop all their weapons, and watching Lori drop her hammer. She was conceding to their demands. Penny slowly got up, dusting off her jeans from the dive in the dirt. She watched the exchange between Lori and the rest. Raising her hands over her head, she stood with the rest of the contestants, realizing that they were helpless, for now. Her aching feet suddenly the last thing on her mind.

Cookies Ahoy
04-17-2010, 01:40 PM
Starr looked at the given can of meat. She was a vegetarian and didn't plan on eating it. The can did look familiar, though she couldn't remember where she had seen it before. She studied the label a bit longer, then remembered it was the same canned food she would feed to her dog. Starr instantly put the can down, remembering the repulsive smell it had. She was hungry, but she wasn't that hungry. Starr slid her camera out of its bag, threw the strap around her neck, and began snapping pictures to pass the time. The diminishing light made for some interesting exposures.

Starr watched Chloe set her meal down and climbed atop a rock. Starr aimed her camera and looked through the view finder. Chloe's shape was only a silhouette against the sky. Starr snapped one picture, then as she took another picture a shot rang out. Starr whirled about to see what had just happened, some armed men were approaching their campsite. She looked down at her camera nervously, then gasped when she looked at the image still showing on the preview screen. It was almost identical to the first, except that a dark spray of blood was coming from Chloe's shoulder. Before Starr knew it, the men had them surrounded. Starr let out a small scream when another shot was fired, this time hitting Dan in the head. These men were savages. Starr stood rooted to the ground, quivering slightly. As the party disarmed, Starr held her camera close, half hiding it, hoping desperately they wouldn't take it. It was one of her only possessions, and she considered it part of her life.

The slaver known as Dirty walked down the line of captives, smiling from behind a haggard beard. When he got to Starr, he stopped.

“Well ain’t you a purdy thing.” he leaned in to Starr. “What cha got there?”

Starr took a few steps back as the slaver approached. He was about a foot taller than her, and his dirty features made him look twice as menacing. His stench was bad too, comparatively worse than the dog food the others had been eating moments ago.

"Camera," was all Starr could mutter, tucking it closer to herself.

"Gimmee it," Dirty's lips curled as he smiled at Starr.

Starr looked down at her trusty camera. Between the camera and her equipment in her bag she probably had a couple thousand dollars on her, not that it mattered anymore.

"No," Starr replied stiffly.

“I wasn’t asking ya bitch,” Dirty grabbed a hold of Starr’s arm and pulled her closer. Grabbing her by the throat, he ran his tongue up the side of her face.

“Unless ya want to give me something else.” Dirty grinned.

Starr cringed as Dirty's slimy tongue ran across her skin, "Screw you..." Starr muttered through choked words, then let out a small cough.

Others probably thought it was stupid of Starr to defend her camera, but people often did stupid things to protect what mattered to them.

“What’s a matter baby? Dirty too much of a man for ya.” The other slavers were now watching Dirty, most of them smiling. All except for Duke. He seemed to be watching with a different kind of interest. Almost as if he were measuring Starr’s worth.

“Come on,” Dirty’s hand moved to Starr’s breast. “Give me some of that sweet honey.”

A red light went off in Starr's head. She wasn't going to put up with this slob anymore.

"How's this for honey?" Starr said trying to keep her voice steady.

Starr kicked between Dirty's legs hard with her boot. She then put her camera things on the ground, and jumped onto the slaver, toppling him over. She slammed a fist down hard onto his nose, the next blow missed his nose, but hit him square in the eye. Starr felt her knuckles pop, and she yelped in pain, holding her hand to her chest. Two slavers ran at Starr and picked her up off Dirty. Starr's breathing was uneven and shaky.

Dirty coughed and sputtered rising to his feet. He glared at Starr and started to move toward her.

“Fuckin bitch, imma gonna kill ya.” Dirty pulled his side arm when Duke started walking forward.

“Dirty stand down!” Duke’s voice came commanding and Dirty turned to him.

“But boss she-” Duke raised his hand and Dirty fell silent.

“Listen you,” Duke smiled at Starr. “I don’t usually let the merchandise attack my men. But you got spirit, but I warn you not to try anything else. Understood?”

"What do you mean merchandise?" Starr questioned quietly, Duke's voice calming her slightly, and fear starting to return.

“Well, how can I put this?” Duke smiled. “We are slavers. So that makes you a slave. And I’m betting I can get a lot for you.”

Starr had nothing left to say, she stared silently at Duke until he turned away. The two slavers released Starr, and she scrambled for her camera bag, dusting it off and returning her camera to it. Starr fell in with the rest of the contestants.

[Coop with Naz]

Lerouge
05-08-2010, 07:44 PM
Andrew wrapped his fingers around the hilt of the pistol as he brought it close to him and let his fingers wander over the cold metal of the weapon. It had been years since he had properly shot a gun but people would always tell him it was like riding a bike... just like killing was. His eyes were full of sorrow and yet were void of all emotion as he went through the regular checks on the weapon and examined every single nook and cranny of the device to ensure nothing would keep it from working.

"Soldier, when you are on the front line it is always life or death. Remember that! You must be ready to destroy if you want to live on." He could almost hear the voice of his drill sergeant ringing in his ears as if he was standing right beside him.

"But... they are people just like us... why do I have to kill innocent people?" He muttered to himself as he pulled back the latch on the back of the gun finally preparing it to shoot before securing it in his belt.

"They aren't people maggot, they are you're enemy and know god damn well that if they get a chance they will rip and tear you to shreds."

"Human's aren't evil... are they?"

"Man is dark maggot, we have created some of the most disturbing acts that even the darkest demons of hell couldn't think of. We kill, cheat, lie, steal and do just about whatever we can to expand our own place in the world."

"WHAT IS THE POINT THEN?" He roared into the sky not realizing that he was still surrounded by these strangers from what he thought was a game. His eyes were wide in determination and anger as he looked toward the others. Each human was diseased? "Maybe this is what was meant to happen." He whispered before turning away from the group ignoring the food completely. His body moved slowly and with purpose as he walked in the direction that it seemed Chloe had been leading them. It didn't matter he didn't know where he was going... it wasn't like he was going to survive all this.

They walked for what felt like hours and his determination to lead dwindled from the start and he took step behind Chloe as his dark eyes glared quietly at the dirt road. "Los Angeles... the city of angels" He could hear the words coming from his mouth and looming over the group like a whisper in the wind. "How ironic that name sounds now... it sure doesn't seem like any angels ever inhabited this place. Seems like the angels have forsaken us all." Then the footsteps in front of him silenced and his eyes looked up at Chloe curiously as she offered them food. At first he wanted nothing more than to punch her in the face but instead he took his share and walked a bit away from the others and collapsed against a small pile of rubble that one would imagine was once a great skyscraper.

His back rested against the cool stone and he closed his eyes as the food was slowly placed into his mouth. It wasn't delicious nor was it threatening... it was energy and he quietly worked his way through as much as he could. The quiet was rather relaxing at the moment, amusingly enough he had visited this city as a young boy, it was filled with people and life and happiness.

"Too bad that's gone now." And with those words the shot of a rifle filled the air and he instinctively fell to the ground placing his body flat against the dirt. He looked around at the others and saw Chloe's shoulder bleeding from the shot. "Crap... what is this?" He scrambled up and reached for the pistol at his waist and held it at the oncoming men, a rather large group of them from what he could tell.

"DROP YOUR WEAPONS OR DIE!" Was the one command he heard as the gun fell to the floor, but Andy wasn't stupid and slowly inched the tip of his toe under the weapon ready to kick it up into his hands at a moments notice.

“Well, how can I put this? We are slavers. So that makes you a slave. And I’m betting I can get a lot for you.”

"How repulsive." He muttered at the man as his thumbs slid into his pockets and allowed his hands to hang loosely at his sides. "Here I thought we were being confronted by men but it seems only a few stray dogs are out. How pitiful trying to take advantage of someone who can't even fight you." He wasn't sure where this confidence was coming from but it was scary, these men... their weapons... it didn't scare him. It just proved the point that they deserved to die. "Why don't you face us like an adult instead of a scared child you pathetic excuse of a human. At least that way I don't have to feel so bad about killing you all."

John
06-12-2010, 09:16 PM
Duke walked up to Andrew and smiled at him. The smile looked sinister and it was easy to see the madness in the eye of the slaver. Without a word he drew the pistol from his side and fired a round into the head of Jericho. Blood splattered onto Andrew and Jericho’s body slumped to the ground with a sickening thud.

“If you so much as breathe funny from here on in,” Duke growled at Andrew. “I will kill one of the women next. Mind you, that was one pretty man. Coulda got a whole bunch of food in trade for him. Maybe some clean water too.” Duke turned and walked away a bit as Daniel approached Andrew.

“Listen to me,” Daniel spoke softly. “Duke will kill each and everyone of you. You may be worth more to us alive, but you still have a good value attached to you even if you’re dead. So don’t do anything stupid. And if you would be so kind as to kick the gun away. Just because Duke is an idiot, doesn’t mean we all are.” Daniel walked over to Duke and whispered something to him. After a moment, Duke nodded his head and yelled at the group

"Alright!! Let's move out." With that the slavers and contestants started to walk east.

After about fifteen minutes they arrived at what looked to be a makeshift camp. On one edge of the camp was a row of five tents. The tent at the far end was considerably larger than the rest and Duke and Daniel walked inside it carrying the bag which had the contestants belongings. On the other side of the camp, were three large, metal cages.

The slavers motioned all of the male contestants into the first cage and put the women into the third. They made the contestants remove their shoes and socks and locked the doors of the cages with a large chain and a padlock. The second cage was empty and had except for an old pair of shoes inside. They were tattered and the laces were still on them, though frayed.

Dirty, who was still covering his eye with his hand, went inside one of the smaller tents. After about five minutes he emerged from it with a gauze bandage covering his eye. After another minute or two Duke and Daniel came out of the other tent.

"Alright Crew!! I have our orders from Darius. We are to move out and find Chloe Reynolds. She must be taken alive and unharmed." "If we can't find her within two hours, we are to return here and wait for further instructions. Billy Bob and Dirty, you both will remain here and keep an eye on the slaves. Now let's go!!!" With that the slavers started to move out to conduct their search.

Once the Slavers had left, Dirty lit a fire in a pit in the center of the camp. The fire cast an almost eerie glow about the camp allowing the contestants to get a better look at their surroundings. Each of the cages were six feet apart. Two feet away from the first cage was a bundle of sticks, tied together by a length of rope, that looked like they were used for kindling. There was a small stool next to the campfire, which Dirty sat down on and began to chug down a bottle of vodka. From the light of the fire the contestants could see that he had a knife strapped to his leg and a hand grenade and key ring hung form his belt. Having polished off the first bottle of vodka within a few seconds he opened a second and started to drink from it. Billy Bob walked over to him and began to speak.

"Dirty, I'm going to lie down for a while. I‘ve got a headache something fierce"

"Okay Billy. Shleep tight hic" Dirty was clearly feeling the effects of the vodka.

"Go easy on the booze Dirty. You know how you get when you've had too much to drink." Billy Bob’s voice sounded concerned.

"Don't worry buddy. I won't do anything shtupid."

With that Billy Bob went inside the second smaller tent. As soon as he was inside, Dirty turned his attention towards Starr and glared at her, a wicked smile on his lips.