PDA

View Full Version : Animus: Of Gods and Virtues...

Persephone
02-22-2010, 05:55 AM
http://i46.tinypic.com/35ks9xl.jpg
Rated [R] for mature themes, violence and adult language (say wha~?)
recruitment. (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2652)

The future of our people is always a subjective one. A threefold path that changes when a certain decision is made; it is like stopping at a fork in the road and choosing which road to take. In some cases, the would-be future changes to could-be or should-be – or vice versa depending on the circumstances of that certain event. The threefold path is what I see... constantly.

What could be.

What should be.

What would be.

On one road, many people die – I being one of them.

On another, many people are saved but at the cost of one person's life.

On another, everyone dies... except that one person.

Then... in the distance, another road is made to replace one of the threefold paths. Another, blurry and inconsistent with many other visions but still holds a seed of hope – blossoming, blooming – ever so slowly. This is the path I watch and dream of. This is the path I have gambled on. This is the path to our salvation...

...without the cost of that person's life. A way to save us all.

But the pieces of this path, as I've said, are still blurry. Decisions must be made for this road to open, to replace that of another – take form and body and thrive before it could be made real. To put all of my hope into and the lives of others.

When the time comes, people will die; I can't change that, for it happens in every path – no matter what. It's just the victims will change: either to make them stronger or destroy their will to survive. Some will go on to fight; some will just... die. Some will even have to break the bonds that tie them – make them Virtue. In every single path I have seen, this will happen. Including the path toward salvation – the pieces I've seen anyway.

In the end, it will fall down to the characters – all of whom will play a part toward the last road – all of whom will have a story to tell later on. All of whom will witness pain, fear, love and most of all: death.

Animus: the starting of a new life.

Animus: the ending of an old life.

Animus: the beginning to the end.

Gods and Virtues... let us pray.

Animus, amass with cheering crowds wearing reds and golds (or anything close to it), was celebrating yet another festival; this time for more personal reasons. Like a wedding. The villages took great pride in making a great party out of something so personal. Every family within the mountains took part in it; gifting the lucky couple with handmade gifts, decorating houses, scheduling little sporting events for those who needed the excuse to get down and dirty, momentous speeches made by family members and even the Arch himself – all in a finale of lightning patterns for fireworks by Meridion. That, however, was on the last day of the celebration. The festival itself lasted three days; it was only the first.

In that time, stories were told, lotteries were won (win a house!) and contests ensued until every Virtue who wanted to have a go got his or her fill. It was also a time in which every single one of them contemplated, thought back on their lives and cherish the moments they have had in the ten years Animus gave back to them. In that respect, the festival made for two people was in actuality for everyone. To remember that happiness could be made in so small a place. Animus, their home, was their start of their new life.

Although, at the moment, with all the frills and lace and ribbons made a certain Sun Lord itch in several places; all the while, the tall woman beside him – amusement alight in her eyes, noted blandly, “What a nice day it is.”

It was. But from where they stood, watching the crowds from the single balcony connected to his study didn't seem so great. However, Vereel was never a man to not humor those he cared for. “Indeed,” he said with equal blandness. “You should set fire to all those blasted streamers. It will be a bother to have to pick it all up later.”

“You think I can set fire to someone's decorations... on their wedding day?”

“I know you can, which is why I said so.”

Meridion raised a brow. “You're sorely misinformed.”

“I'm sorely irritated.” Vereel paused, scratched at another itch at his cheek and added, “Literally.”

“You're supposed to be happy today, Uncle – not sour. Remember, you're supposed to speak for the couple in the next couple of days. By then you'll be cursing them, not blessing.” The woman placed a hand upon the elder's shoulder. Even through the fabric of his shirt and jacket he felt the cold prick of her skin. Winter's touch. Unusual that, as it felt warm in Animus: the mysterious by-product of the outer storm. “I believe Lola did say you wouldn't like it.”

“In all her sight, I don't like it. It's too... too-”

“Gaudy?”

“That. What happened to the old days where you threw rice?”

“I think 'old days' is your answer there, Uncle.”

“Hmmph.”

“Hmmph,” Meridion mimicked and then broke into a grin. “It's also a very special day. Well, in two days. Animus was founded near ten years ago, right?”

Vereel nodded solemnly and with a dismissive gesture, threw all of his prior comments out the window. “The red looks... fine.”

“And the gold?”

“Don't push it, Meri.”

“Would never do such a thing.”

“Mmph.”

"Mmph,” she mimicked again; then, before he could make an impressive retort, the woman leaned over, kissed a weathered cheek and stated – most hurriedly – she was going to go watch the wrestling match between some Earth Virtue. As quickly as she came, Meri jumped over the balcony and disappeared into the bustling crowd. She was easy to spot in the mass of reds and golds – the only person to wear white.

Vereel grunted as he always did. “That woman.”

Jill the Ripper
02-22-2010, 03:53 PM
'cause we will be wild like children.

Across the other side of the makeshift ring, Gregor grinned, his muscles flexing, his brawl buddies cheering drunkenly from behind.

Sebastian Leopold raised his eyebrows but said nothing, unbuttoning his vest and slipping off his shirt, handing both to his sister Beth, who hovered next to him, dark eyes crinkled in amusement. "Tommy Harlen has a bottle of ale on Gregor winning," She told him dryly. "I bet against him with some elderflower wine." Here Beth gave him a flinty look, and held his shirt and vest closer. "Please don't lose me that bottle."

Her brother just gave her a bright grin, something wolfish and Beth just shook her head, stepping back into the jostling crowd.

Sebastian watched her curved figure walk away, golden skirts swinging, long dark curls tangling with the flowers of her wreath and felt something warm within him, softening, before he remembered the match and turned to face his opponent.

"I've been waiting for this." Gregor promised, stepping into the middle. "I'm going to teach you what a real earth virtue is."

Seb smirked and said nothing, waiting for the overseer to announce the match.

Edward Harlen, Tommy's father, stepped in between them, holding out his hand as a marker. "I want a clean fight, boys." He warned, looking from both Seb and Greg. "That means no hitting, no biting, no pinching and no powers." Here he gave Gregor a meaningful look. The other boy was known for his dirty methods and bullying, lording his powers over others. Today though, oh, today Sebastian would teach Greg a lesson he wouldn't forget in a hurry.

Mr. Harlen counted down. "five, four, three, two -- GO!" He lept out of the way just as Gregor lunged, Seb digging his heels in the dirt and bracing himself.

It was, at a glance, an uneven fight. While Seb was taller than Greg, Gregor was wider, more solid. His tact was to go in hard and push back until his opponent tripped or fell out of the ring, and, even without using his powers to raise a small rock here or there, Gregor usually won. There was a lot of muscle in him, admittedly.

Seb was leaner, longer, but he used that to his advantage and when Greg came at him, Sebastian held up his arms in defence, pushing back as Gregor hit. They struggled like that for awhile, Gregor grunting as Seb slipped back bit by bit until the Leopold boy threw himself forward again, wrapping an arm around Gregor's own and holding it so that he had Greg behind him, restrained. Here he twisted it back, hearing the bully hiss - but Gregor was stronger, and managed to wrestle out of the hold, elbowing Sebastian in the kidney as he did so.

"Foul!" Someone cried out, a buzz of angry jeering following. While Sebastian had winced away, taking in a sharp breath at the hit, Gregor had gone for his torso, wrapping beefy arms around it to lift Sebastian up and slam him down onto the ground.

There was no time to react - Gregor slammed him down hard and Sebastian met the earth with his teeth. Dimly he could hear pained groans from the crowd, sympathetic murmuring, Beth's voice crying out, and it was that last that he concentrated on, the last that made him fight back, even in the haze his mind was swimming in. Hauling all his strength into it, Sebastian fought against Gregor's weight, rolling himself onto his back, earning another elbow in the gut. That winded him and he wheezed, more angry catcalling coming from those around them. Blindly he swung out, striking his opponent in the windpipe with a sloppy punch. It worked though, Gregor jerking back as Edward Harlen yelled out, "No more foul moves, from either of you!"

Regaining some of his breath, Sebastian lunged forward, Gregor collecting himself just in time to match him. They struggled for some time, both gaining some ground before being pushed back again and it wasn't until Seb took a chance and let go, only to catch ahold of Gregor fully and pin his arms did the fight turn.

Gregor was stronger but Sebastian was burred on by the wild crowd. And there in the noise, he could hear Beth cheering him on and it was enough - he gripped hard and twisted down with all his strength, catching Greg off guard and pinning him to the ground.

His knee at the base of his skull, his hands making sure Gregor couldn't whip his arms around, Sebastian waited for the time up call.

Edward Harlen crouched down by the struggling Gregor, counting out the seconds he had to get up and turn the match around. "Five. Four. Three. Two --"

Gregor swore as the last second slipped by and Sebastian's supporters all but screamed in excitement, Seb standing up on shaky legs as Gregor pushed himself off the ground, face sour.

The Leopold boy held out his hand to shake, but the other gave him a scornful look and spat on the dirt beside them before stalking away.

Shaking his head, Edward Harlen patted Seb on the back. "Don't worry about it, son." he said. Sebastian just shrugged, then smiled, dimple showing. "I won't."

He seemed fiercely bright in that moment, Harlen thought. Sebastian's eyes were gleaming, his hair disarrayed and almost a burnt gold under the sun. Sweat gave his browned skin a shimmer and Edward Harlen chuckled, thinking about how Seb was more than likely to break a few hearts, Edward's own daughter included in that lot.

Her crush on the boy was harmless and likely unreciprocated, but it couldn't have hurt to egg the two along and so Edward was just about to invite Sebastian over to their home for dinner when a voice called out the boy's name, and distracted them both.

Auki
02-22-2010, 04:48 PM
Maria’s dress (http://cdn.overstock.com/images/products/P10485495.jpg) was a dark maroon, more brown than red, but really…with her hair colour, what did they expect? Gold bands still decorated her outfit but amongst the cascades of ruby and crimson, she felt rather out-of-place – Her clothing seeming drab when compared to the vibrant shades she had surrounded herself with. A man with a particularly garish guise, all scarlet, beamed at her as he walked past; a good friend of her fathers, still trying to keep positive despite his daughter’s passing last year. She gave him a light smile, trying not to giggle at his over-excitement, her eyes following him until he disappeared into the crowd.

Grinning, she turned back, looking ahead once again, attempting to peer past the throngs of people that blocked her vision. She was not sure where she was going anymore. Her parents had sent her off to ‘experience the festival’, too preoccupied with her younger brother to enjoy the celebrations themselves. The boy had been screaming all night and they were still trying to work out the source of his distress. Maria was more than happy to be away, although irritated by the amount she was yawning. If not for the energy of those around her, she would have retreated to a quiet spot and taken a nap. As it was, she was eager to take part in something…anything…she just wasn’t sure what.

She was reluctant to go about the day on her own - She would rather be with friends but finding them on a day like this would be a feat. Although she knew many of the faces around her, none were her own age.

A yawn escaped her yet again and she peered at some of the nearby contests, too far away to work out the details of what was happening. The hordes of people were beginning to irk her. Still, today, and the days that followed, were a time for joy and happiness. She tried to lose herself in the bubbling excitement of the nearby Virtues but remained aware of her lack of companions.

Turning round on the spot, she accidentally pushed into a man, obviously in a hurry from the purposeful way he strode past. He almost stopped, previous irritation flaring to anger – She could recognise him as one of the village’s well-known ‘hotheads’. Without thought, she returned his gaze, subduing anger and elevating the sense of excitement she had noticed before she’d bumped into him. His glare softened and he mumbled something incoherent, hurrying off with a more animated gait. Usually, she would have accepted his cursing and shouting but today...today was a time for enjoyment. She did not want his erratic mood swings to ruin the days of the many others around her.

It was in the interest of the village; that’s what she told herself. It helped to lessen that unclean feeling she got after manipulating a male’s emotions.

…How she hated her power…

"Foul!”
The voice came from behind, far louder than the general chatter of Virtues, startling her from her thoughts. She spun round, taking better notice of the crowd that had gathered a dozen paces from where she stood – A few of its members had drunk too much already.
Her interest was piqued.

Pushing her way through the crowd was easy, the boys happily making way for her, satisfied with the smile they received for their trouble. She knew most of them to some degree although calling them ‘friends’ would be pushing it. The person she was most familiar with stood in the centre of the ring. The Leopold twins lived near to her, a good family, although she could not understand how the pair remained so close. Their relationship seemed odd to her but Maria knew that was likely because she was not close to her own relatives.

Pointless fighting was of little interest to her but she watched anyway, cheering whenever Sebastian gained the upper hand.
…Mind you, I’ve never noticed Gregor’s body before…
She shook her head briskly with a laugh, grinning excitedly at the boys around her who tried to encourage her to shout louder as Seb pinned his opponent to the ground. She felt both relieved and disappointed as the match finished. At the least, it had entertained her for a few minutes.

The victor looked tousled, remaining in the middle of the ring, body glistening and hair a mess. He pulled it off well however; Maria could see a few girls in the crowd with their hearts aflutter. She, however, had grown up next to the boy for a large portion of her life. She had never seen him in that way.

Thinking about it, she had never seen anyone in that way. It always worried her that if she loved a man, she would end up – subconsciously – forcing him to like her back. The thought haunted her, terrified her.

Thankfully, a man like Seb would never see her in that way – As long as their relationship remained platonic, she needn’t worry. As such, he was one of the few males she thought she might be able to trust. She practically skipped into the ring.

“Sebastian!” She called out, the light fabric of her dress threatening to lift as she ran, “You had some nice moves there.”

She smiled at Edward but got nothing in return, the man seemed less than amused to see her there.

“Kind of wished I’d placed a bet on you, eh, Seb? Just didn’t expect you to shove him down like that. You’re going to turn out all brawn, no brain if you keep that up.”

She shook her head in mocking disapproval, glancing at the dishevelled ground where the two had scrambled.

“Hopefully, you’ll be doing something a little less…aggressive now? You’ve got no-one left that’s willing to fight ya after all.” Her grin was sheepish, “Actually, I don’t care what you do – I was just hoping I could tag along. Baby brother’s got the house in an uproar and I ain’t got anybody to hang out with at the moment…"

Peacekeeper
02-23-2010, 07:58 PM
That morning, Zeljko wake up early, as he always did. He enjoyed feeling sunrays when they were still cool and started to bring life to the world. He was having breakfast with his brother Ivan and her sister-in-law Antissa when one of their neighbours passed by. She told them about the Johnsons' baby, and immediately Zeljko stood up and left the house without a word. Before he left, he could see a nearly imperceptible sign of disgust in Antissa's face. It was predictable, after all. While Antissa wanted to use her powers to help people like any other Virtue, she was that kind who wouldn't use them unless either it was absolutely necessary or she was specifically asked to. On the other hand, Zeljko had never wasted a chance to use his power once he got knowledge of a situation he could help.

The Johnsons were actually glad he knocked on their house's door. It wasn't necessary to tell them he wanted to take their baby's pain; everyone in Animus knew Zeljko and the situation was pretty obvious. Zeljko touched the baby's head and removed all the amount of pain he considered appropriate, which wasn't all the pain he wasable to take. Pain appeared for a reason, and until they found out what was wrong with the child, removing all of it would be a mistake, because that would eliminate any clue to discover the origin. However, it seemed it worked because the baby was a lot more quiet for a while. Mrs Johnson thanked Zeljko with tired words, but he was already leaving. The Johnsons didn't think that was a rude behaviour: they were already used to Zeljko's ways and knew the pain he had taken was removed faster if he was alone. Of course, diluting such a small amount of pain (just a part of what a baby could hold) didn't take too much, just the time he spent on a short walk.

He then came back to his house. They had to get ready for the wedding. He briefly told Ivan about the baby and then he got his clothes from a wardrobe. When he got out his bedroom and his family watched him, he knew it was an unusual situation so he wasn't shocked by Ivan and Antissa's faces. Zeljko would usually wear only black clothes. He did that for a simple reason, just because he liked the colour, but he knew many people who didn't know him well would think it was a consequence of his depressing power. Antissa had gifted him three or four times clothes she had woven for him, in brighter colours, because she was afraid people would never give him a chance if he looked always so depressed, but he had only wore them once after he had been given them, so she desisted. And now, he was wearing beautiful red and golden clothes. Ivan smiled and told him he looked more handsome than ever, and Antissa was so thrilled she even hugged him. She had already forgotten she'd been annoyed because he had been in a rush to use his powers, as she always did.

When they started to take part in the wedding's events, a feeling of joy started to impregnate them. The happines of the biggest festivals was in the air, and nobody would complain about their misfortune in that day. Since he didn't need to use his power, Zeljko looked happier than ever, and everybody who met him would stop to talk to him. Zeljko was so used to loneliness that sometimes he felt uneasy when he was talking to people he didn't know very well, but today he couldn't help joking and having a good time. He eventually lost sight of Ivan and Antissa, who were probably speaking with a neighbour couple.

While he was drinking a glass of wine, in one of those rare moments he wasn't talking to anyone, he did what he always did in every wedding he had attended in Animus: he remembered Ivan's wedding. He had been his brother's best man, which was logical since they had been so bound to each other after their parents had been killed. They had been standing together in front of the holy altar, and nobody could tell they weren't brothers. Ivan was 5 years older than Zeljko, and he had brown hair and was a little more well-built, but they had the same blue eyes and they resembled each other. Then Antissa appeared, and everybody started to sing. It was a very different wedding, just a solemn celebration of love, but he remembered it as a happy day. However, Zeljko wondered if Ivan and Antissa really loved each other. To be honest, he did know they loved each other, the same way Zeljko and Antissa loved each other as if they were siblings. But he had always thought Ivan and Antissa got married because they happened to have the same age and they were both the only Virtues in their town, aside Zeljko. Ivan had actually been going out with a human woman, but it was before hostilities started. Anyway, Ivan was a good man and Antissa was a smart woman, and even if they weren't really in love, they had made a great couple for years. And they had always taken care of him. The three of them would help the others and they made it alive to Animus, and had been reasonably happy since then.

As for him, love had never been a priority. Zeljko considered his power a blessing because it had made him stronger and he could withstand pain better than any other person he had ever met. However, most people wouldn't stand living with someone like Zeljko, who almost daily had to deal with any kind of suffering.

A bunch of children passed by running, and Zeljko thought in the Johnsons again. The baby would have more pain by now, but it would be still a moderate amount. He then wondered why Ivan and Antissa didn't have any children. They had been married for several years now, but Zeljko didn't even remember if they had ever talked about that.

The brief moment of peace was now gone, it was time to get back into the happiness of the party. And while today he didn't want to lose that sense of happiness, maybe some of the wrestlers would need his power.

Yamimoon
02-23-2010, 09:14 PM
John looked out of the window of his house, which was quiet. But then again it was always quiet. He was the only one that was able to escape the village alive. As the festival was starting to get under way, he saw the people of Animus leaving there houses dressed for the wedding. He has been living in Animus for about two years now, and he loved the peacefulness of the village. He was glad that the humans hadn’t fount this place like they did his village. He would hate to see what happened to his home happen here. There were so many lives lost that day, including his wife and child.

That night still haunted his dreams, and probably always will. The sound of his child screaming as she was burning to death. The smell that permeated the night air. A stench that was worse than anything that you could have imagined. Like the pits of hell opened up brining the sent of death to the land. It was the smell of burning blood, and flesh. The blood that covered the ground, as well as the blood on the humans that attacked them. They looked like reapers that had descended down upon the village. They had Moonstones with them. So even to help their loved ones from the fires was impossible.

Suddenly his abdomen where the dagger that was used stabbed him started to hurt. He quickly grabbed his abdomen and cringed. Even though the wound was almost two years old he was still having problems from it. He calmed the pain, and looked out the window once more. He knew that it was about time for him to join in the festivities. So he walked over to his closet, but before he reached it he looked at the wall.

There was the sword that was passed down to him by his father before he died. This sword was part of his honor as a Virtue. Opening the closet door. He looked in and around his wardrobe finding the outfit that he wares during the festivals. He put on his blood red long sleeve shirt, as well as his loose fitting pants. They were both decorated with gold vine like designs through them. He then placed a gold rose pin on his shirt. He didn’t like to wear red at all, but this was the tradition in this village.

He loved the village the way it was. He loved to attend festivals, especially when it is one that is dedicated to two people that are in love to be bound together for all of their lives, as well as in the next. Even though he would never feel that way again. He refused to get emotionally attached to anyone. He didn’t want to ever go through what he did that night.

He walked out of his room, and down to the festival. He walked around and looked at all of the festivities that were going on around him. He knew that this was a celebration, but he missed his wife at times like these, he looked happy, but anyone that knew of his past knew better. This was a fact that many people in Animus didn’t know. He had only told a couple of people of his past, and that was that. He has also refused to have Zeljko use his powers on him. This pain reminds him that he will always love his old life, but his new life was just as important.

He sat down at a table as he was watching the bride and groom talk to one another. He saw Zeljko doing the same thing, but that was only natural for him. He then took a glass of wine from the table, and slowly sipped on it. He smiled as they took hands, and danced around the room. He finished his wine and then stood up from the table. He walked to the wrestling wring. He had heard that there was going to be a fight. By the time that he got there it was already over, and most of the people were leaving.

Even though he had lived in the village, and knew almost everyone that was there he never really talked too many of them. He just wanted to protect the peace here, and that was all. So he didn’t get to know any of the Virtues here as well as he should have, but that was ok. He talked to people when they talked to him, but that was almost all there was to it.

Aurelia Courville
02-24-2010, 02:48 PM
and you will always be my joy...

From the moment Wick was born, Nell had seen him as the colour of straw. Even though at that time she could still see traces of what he truly looked like, she preferred to remember the colour, so close to gold and so much the very essence of beauty and perfection as she could ever think to see. She had watched him grow up in her way, that golden orb getting more pure over the years. She was very fond of her brother that was for certain.

She watched him now, running around the yard, content in her self to just stay in this spot forever watching him as they were. She sat, crossed legged on the step of their porch, wild flowers in her hand as she picked the petals off one by one, her mouth, a small smile as she did.

They could hear the distant sounds of the festivities from here. Their parents were already at the wedding, mother helped make the food and she wasn’t so sure what her father was doing. She would soon have to go join them, but she prolonged doing so. It wasn't that she didn't like going to the festivals, the music and the general cheerfulness of those around her was nice. But there was always this overwhelming sensation when she was in the middle of the big crowds that she didn't get on a day to day bases.

“Nell, we should go.” Her brother’s voice was still a sweet alto, having yet to hit puberty. She nodded, not raising her head up. Of course her dream of staying forever in her own little bubble would not come true, but she would indulge the Gods of time with this act.

She felt her brother walk to her and lay a wreath of what she could only assume was of wild flowers. Their colour, she wasn’t sure, they always showed up a dull sort of graying blue. She looked up to Wick then and smiled, her hand reaching up to it to keep it from falling as she did so. “My Wick, my sweet sweet Wick. What have I done do deserve you?”

He shrugged then and smiled. “Not sure. But can we hurry? I’m starving.” She nodded, stood up and dusted the petals off her dress a faded gold (or so she was told). They did not speak after that, but walked silently towards the mass of colourful blobs she had to assume was the main area of the wedding.