PDA

View Full Version : Dragonsbane - A Science-Fantasy

Eldora
03-18-2010, 03:46 PM
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb52/RPGMM_Aeldra/dragonsbane.jpg

Wygard Castle - Courtyard

The leader of the Champions of Kyrvallas waited patiently in the courtyard as she had been instructed while a human servant went to inform her father of her arrival. She sat upon the edge of a white marble fountain lost in thought as she gazed into her reflection in its waters. She kept her violet wings extended though, as a signal to all around her that she did not wish to be bothered. Not that any would have come near, for all knew by reputation Yvanna the Halfblood daughter of King Tulkalas.

Father only ever requested a personal audience with Yvanna when he had an assignment for her. She had failed the last, and he had shown his displeasure by barring her from the Arena for a month. She was quite lucky that he so favored her among his children. Any other Halfblood would have suffered far worse for failing the King of Dragons. Now that he was giving her another chance to prove herself worthy of her wings though, she was not going to disappoint him.

"His Majesty bids you come, Lady Yavanna," the servant's voice startled her out of her reverie, and she looked up at him with a gaze that would mean death to a human like himself under any other circumstance. These frail, frightened humans annoyed her, and she wondered why Father even let them near tha castle. But she was only annoyed with herself. She should not have let her last assignment slip through her fingers. Besides, it was not her place to question the will of the great Tulkalas Kyrvallas. Her dark eyes glazed somewhat, and she answered him in her usual lifeless monotone. "Then you shall take me to him."

Noscales Village - Weaver's House

The curtains were drawn and though it was nearly mid-day, the only light in the house was that cast by a flickering candle. Falma had been careful to tell everyone she was going to the fields today to gather materials for her craft, but in truth she had stayed in her home. She had just finished working on new clothing for the King's Halflings, and though she had been told to return every unused scrap, she had saved one piece of the Dragons' mysterious cloth too small to be missed in an attempt to study it and learn how it was made.

Falma had keen eyes, which had always served her well in her work, but this cloth defied her every attempt to discern it's nature. It was light as parchment and soft to the touch but increadibly durable, and aside from the tools she had been provided to work with it she had not found anything that could cut or damage it. It was not metal thread, of that she was certain. It was certainly not any type of skin or hide that she had ever encountered either. Finally she pushed back from her work table with a sigh. It must be magic then, she thought. For some reason that she could not quite put her finger on, she was frustrated by the fact that she wouldn't be able to reproduce it. After all, she was only a human, and Dragon magic was kept so closely secret that she had no hope of ever understanding it.

She had to get rid of it though. If it was learned that she had defied the Dragon King's orders, nothing she could make or do would get her out of the fix she would be in. But what was she to do? They had taken away those special tools along with the scraps.

On a whim, she picked up the small piece she'd been studying and held it over the candle flame. She half expected the flames to leap up and lick the scrap from her hand, but all that happened was that the cloth turned grey and...

She held it aloft, amazement in her eyes. Just a moment ago it had been limp like a piece of cloth would be, but now the corner that she had put over the fire had hardened into something resembling metal. Tentatively she touched it and found it cool. The most amazing thing was that it was just as light as it had been before. "A cloth that turns to metal?" She said with amazement. "It truly is magic."

Suddenly there was a knock at her door. How did they know she was here? Thinking quickly she hid the scrap of metal-cloth in her tool bag and grabbed a book from the shelf. Opening it to a random page, she turned the candle up ever-so-slightly so that a drop of hot wax fell on the page. Moving the chair loudly as if she were just now rising, she called, "Just a moment!"

The Halfblood didn't wait for her to open the door, but barged in as if looking for a fight. He was a tall one with dark brown hair and wings to match, and his armor was the same light grey color as the cloth had been. Before he could say why he had come, she took a chance by speaking first. "Yes, yes, I know I ought to be out gathering, but I found this old book this morning and I just had to sit and read a while. I've always preferred reading by candle-light, haven't you?"

The Halfblood seemed dumbstruck. "You read?"

"Why yes of course. How do you think I learned all the ways to tie a knot? As you can see, this book here is one of the ones that the king has approved." She picked it up and showed him the cover, hoping that by doing so he wouldn't be as likely to report her.

He looked at it a moment with squinted eyes, and it was an effort for her to keep from laughing. He certainly wasn't fooling her, and it was a splendid irony - a human that could read and a Halfblood that could not! It wasn't against the law for a human to read, but it was increadibly rare. It was however illegal for them to write, and if he had sense enough to realize that this old book had been written by human hands, she would be on her way to the dungeons by now. It had been a terrible risk, but she seemed to have fooled him. "Er... Yes, you are quite right, weaver. However I did not come here for that. I came here for the missing scrap."

"Missing? You mean someone dropped it?" She asked innocently.

He glared at her "You must think yourself awfully clever, human, but you do not fool me for a moment! Where are you hiding the scrap of cloth you stole?"

She put her hands on her hips. "You're accusing me, the finest and most respected seamstress in the plains, of thievery?! Fine then, have it your way! If you can find one thing here in my home that is out of place, you can have it!"

She stood still and waited, arms folded with an air of impatience as he turned her one-room shack inside-out and upside-down looking for the scrap, all the while praying that he wouldn't find it. By some stroke of luck, he did not even think to look inside the bag. When he was finished, he stood in the middle of the room casting about like he was expecting it to come out of hiding and wave at him. Falma pursed her lips. "Are you quite finished now?" She asked.

"I don't understand..."

"Well allow me to explain it to you then. Obviously it's not here, which means it either got dropped by one of your friends, or someone else has taken it. Now, if you will excuse me..." She threw a cloak across her shoulders and picked up her cloth sewing bag. "...I have work to do."

Heart still pounding in her chest, she swept past the Halfblood and out the door, heading for the cotton fields. She didn't bother turning to look back, but it seemed as if she could feel him staring at her the whole while. The first chance she got, she would bury this occursed scrap of cloth. And as soon as she got home again, she was going to burn that book as well. She wanted no more close calls like that any time soon.

Lord Tully
03-18-2010, 05:17 PM
Keldin walk submissivly into Tulkalas' throne room, he had been called for some reason and he was afraid of what it might, when he was before the Dragon King, he dropped to the ground, face down. "You sent me my king? I am here to serve the might of the Kyrvallas clan, what need do you have of a worm like me?" He was trying to keep himself from being too obnoxious in his grovels but Tulkalas scared him more then anything else in the castle. He was shaking and nervously sweating a bit was he listened to the dragons heavy breathing.

Eldora
03-18-2010, 06:14 PM
Tulkalas gave a low growl at the human male grovelling before him. "Silence! I neither gave you permission to speak nor did I tell you to kneel. Now stand and let me look at you."

Just then a wide-eyed servant barged into the throne room. "P-pardon the interruption, O Great One, but Lady Yvanna is here."

"Show her in, and then get out of my sight."

The human servant did as he was told and then walked briskly down the castle corridor and out of sight as if he had been chased out. Yvanna entered and bowed low, noticing the human but not giving him a second thought. "You summoned me, father?"

Tulkalas spoke quite a bit differently to her than he had with the humans. There was even a note of affection in his low gruff voice. "I have a task, one that I would trust to no one but yourself, Yvanna. There is a human that has been a thorn in my side."

At this, Yvanna's eyes darted to Keldin. "This puny creature, my lord?"

Tulkalas made a strange humming sort of noise, and as he shook, the room seemd to shake with him. His humor lasted only a moment, before he had resumed a serious tone. "No, my dear. Not that one. I speak of the one the humans call Teller. He is a Dragonless human, a traitor and liar of the foulest sort, spreading discontent among the human camps wherever he goes. Somehow he has managed to escape my gaze time and again. It grieves me that such a creature as this draws breath in my realm."

Yvanna bowed again, "He will not grieve you much longer then, my lord. I shall weed him out and kill any who give aid him. Do you want I should kill him as well, or bring him alive?"

"Kill him, and any human within a mile of him!" He growled. "If you do this, I shall give you as a reward..."

He lifted his foreleg and stretched out his claws in a gesture to indicate Keldin. "...this human, to do with as you wish." There was a wicked note in his voice.

Yvanna looked somewhat surprised. She had never wanted for anything, and her father's servants waited on her just as they did him. But her own servant...

She turned towards the man, then walked towards him. She walked around him slowly, examining him. "I know this human. He is one of mother's. He looks strong, and fast as well. Yes, he would do quite nicely." Turning back to Tulkalas she bowed a third time. "I accept your terms, father. I will bring you the head of this Teller, and I will make his end of such renown that the news of it will spread and undo whatever mischief his lying tongue has done. And in return, you will give me this human for a challenger in the Arena." A smile played across her lips as she looked Keldin in the eyes. "I will look forward to it," she said to him, low enough that the Dragon King could not hear.

With that she turned and headed out the door, making for her chambers. She knew just the weapon she wanted to use to slay that traitorous human scum of a Teller.

Auki
03-18-2010, 06:15 PM
Va'Yana inhaled slowly, the scent of cotton filling her sensitive nostrils for a moment before she sighed. She lay at the edge of the fields, her wings clamped tightly to her sides so as to avoid crushing the plants - It would be a shame for the humans to labor endlessly over them just for her to carelessly destroy them in a few seconds. People deemed her uncaring and emotionless but even she appreciated hard work, no matter what species displayed it. The sunlight glinted off misty scales but the humans did not pay attention. She had been positioned there all morning; Although a few were wary of her presense, most had grown accustomed to her nature. Even when they screwed up, she did not intervene - She thought they must appreciate that at least.

Her broad snout rested lightly on her forearms, her tail flicking lazily in the warm air. There was little to occupy her interest except...A woman stepped into the fields - A pathetic little thing with brown locks and emerald eyes.

Va'Yana caught the scent of it instantly - The material was freshly heated after all.

Lifting herself off the ground, she stretched her wings carefully, flexing her muscles so as to waken them. The cotton rippled as her wings refolded against her side, a breeze forming with the force of the movement. Slowly, delibrately, she paced towards the woman of interest, stopping in front of her with a hard gaze. Each breath disturbed the human's hair and clothes but she said nothing, eyes running over the woman as she decided how best to approach the situation. It did not take long.

Snorting, Va'Yana sat down. "You're lucky few dragons wander the streets of this run-down village, human."
Pause.
"You're playing a dangerous game."
She didn't feel she had to elaborate on what she meant - She just prayed the girl didn't try to play dumb.

Lord Tully
03-18-2010, 06:32 PM
Keldin stood quickly at the order, when Yvanna was told HE would be her reward his eyes widened, and his breathing became a bit ragged as he forced himself to not panic. But then 'The Arena' passed Yvanna's lips, and he almost fainted at the thought of fighting her, the Champion of the Kyravallas brood. He turned back to the king when Yvanna had left, the stress of the last few minutes caused his nose to start bleeding but he took no notice of it. "Thank you for this honor my Lord, if you have no further need of me..." He thought his heart was about to explod it was beating to fast, "I will take my leave."

Lethe
03-19-2010, 01:08 AM
Wygard Castle – Great Kitchen

“Miss Winetta. Miss Winetta! The dough is prepared.” After her announcement a drab looking women whose hair was tightly pulled back into a simple snood stepped back from the large ceramic bowl in front of her in deference to her superior.

Winetta Innes, Head Cook and Pastry Chef of Wygard Castle, set aside the pewter ladle she had been stirring the cheese sauce with, picked up one of her favorite wooden spoons and stepped over to inspect the dough. The Cook was a large woman with powerful upper limbs who waddled ever so slightly when she walked. Winetta was a bit on the plump side from routinely tasting the various delicious dishes prepared in the enormous Castle kitchen. She removed a small portion of the dough and tasted it. Winetta closed her eyes for a moment in thought while the servant, an especially nervous creature, fidgeted with the corner of her apron. The Head Cook wrinkled her nose; not an especially good sign.

“There should be precisely eight cups of walnuts for every twenty three cups of dough. The ratio is all wrong. You are off by at least an entire cup. Add more nuts. Immediately!” For emphasis she rapped the side of the bowl with her wooden spoon. “And next time, be sure to chop them more finely. These are much too coarse. We can’t have coarse nuts in the dough. This is unacceptable.”

The servant hurriedly ran to get another bag of nuts. “Yes, Miss. I’m sorry, Miss.”

Without pausing, the Head Cook strode over to the ovens where two women were busily removing trays of steaming hot sliced potatoes, candied yams, and seasoned green beans.

Winetta waved her spoon in the air. “The beans are overdone! The potatoes require more sea salt! These are not nearly enough yams. Why wasn’t a larger amount baked? The Champions of Kyrvallas can’t eat such paltry food and in miniscule quantities too! It just won’t do. This is unacceptable! Completely unacceptable!”

Servants scattered in all directions.

Next, Winetta stepped over to one of the central fire places where a massive boar was slowly roasting on a spit over an open flame. Eleanor, Winetta’s primary assistant was here rotating the giant crank which in turn swiveled the spit and the boar along with it so that it would be roasted perfectly from all sides. Its drippings were caught in a pan, honey and spices were added to the drippings, and the mixture was then reapplied by ladle to the skin of the animal to prevent it from drying out. The result was succulent, sweet slices of moist ham that melted the moment it entered one’s mouth. The entire kitchen was filled with its inviting aroma. The Head Cook leaned over to inspect the meat. It was coming along nicely. She gently poked a portion of the ham with the edge of a knife. Delicious inner juices came bubbling out from the tiny opening. Dimples formed along the sides of her round cheeks as she smiled. At least the ham was adequate.

Wygard Castle’s Head Cook placed her hands on her ample hips. She still needed to check the soup. She had so little time to get this meal back on track. It had to be perfect. All meals had to be perfect. After all, she had a reputation to maintain. Everyone knew that she was the best Cook in the land.

Eldora
03-19-2010, 01:12 AM
Noscales Village - Cotton Fields

Even before the she-dragon spoke Falma had realized she was caught, but Va'Yana's words only confirmed it. She decided that lying would do nothing but anger her, so she lowered her gaze submissively and told the truth. "It is a game that I have no intention of playing any longer. I came to get rid of it." Her fate was now in the large blue dragoness's claws.

Wygard Castle

"I am not done with you yet." King Tulkalas eyed Keldin carefully. "You will continue your normal work until she returns. You are not to go any farther than Noscales Village. If you do, I will know it." He leaned forward until his eye was level with Keldin's own. "There are far worse fates than the Arena, human. It is an honor for one of your kind to be challenged."

Rising again, Tulkalas turned and took a few paces back. "You may go. Just remember, you are promised to my daughter. I would not hesitate to hunt you down to avoid dissappointing her. Be happy I have chosen to let you enjoy your freedom instead."

Auki
03-19-2010, 08:27 AM
Va'Yana chuckled at her humbleness; a deep sound that resonated across the fields, although no human dared lift their head from their work. One disobedient human could lead to trouble for all; investigations for any more that could possibly be involved at the least. Her tongue flicked out, tasting the air, but none of her species were nearby. With a thick claw, she flipped open the bag and removed the scrap of cloth, the scent itching her nose. She was not particularly fond of the material.

Taking a sharp breath, she lifted the fabric to her mouth and exhaled, small flames shooting from between her lips. The cloth fully hardened and she threw the scrap at the woman's feet, "They'll be able to tell this was hardened by a Dragon if they ever find it - All charges and searches should be dropped at that point."

"I understand you likely hope to plot our downfall - Whether the material was a part of it or just kept through pure curiousity is no relevance."

Her teeth grinded as she thought, slowly and carefully sorting through the best way to present her proposal.

"I will not hand you over to the Halfbloods and I will not force you to give me anything in return. If you ever feel the need to return my favour, however, I am rather interested in this 'Teller' the world seems so fascinated by. I do not want to hurt him, just speak to him; you have my word on that, human. I simply enjoy seeing different viewpoints to the same situation."

She paused, her claws kneeding the ground beneath her feet, "Any information on his whereabouts would be appreciated. I fear that by the time a Dragon like myself is able to find him, the King will have already reached him."

Eldora
03-19-2010, 01:36 PM
Noscales Village - Cotton Fields

The Teller. Falma had heard of him now and then, mostly from rumors, but she had not seen him since she was a very young child. The sound of the name brought back memories. She could still hear his voice, so ragged and cracked with age that she had barely understood him. It had been around the time she had started to learn her craft. Was that why she had taken the cloth? Was she really secretly hoping for the downfall of Dragonkind? Picking up the mysterious material, she ran her fingers over it absently as she thought.

"I have not heard tell of him in a long while." She met the she-dragon's eyes once more. "The last I heard, there was another man travelling with him. Or it might be he was related to him, I'm not sure. It may only be a rumor, but it is all I know. His name reminded me of a tree for some reason. Let me think... I believe it was Aldaron."

She wondered if she had done the right thing in telling her. But she believed this dragoness would keep her word. Her words brought confusion to Falma however. She had done things in the past that no other human would have dared, and certainly which should have gotten her killed if the wrong Dragon or Halfblood found out. But she had never considered herself a traitor till now. She would never openly defy the will of the Superior Race. Certainly she had her enemies among them, but she had her enemies among her own kind too.

"I suppose many humans are so dissatisfied with their lives that they are willing to believe anything." She said absently, almost to herself. Probably it was just as they said about him - he was a man so old that his mind had withered away. And yet... No, she should not even be thinking such things. What was she even doing here? She had to get back to work. It was already mid-afternoon, and at this rate she would be up all night making up the work she had put off. Her hands seemed to ache at the thought of it.

"Thank you. I will get rid of it immediately, and you will have no further trouble from me. She wanted to ask the blue dragoness her name, but it would not have been appropriate for her to ask. So instead she made a promise. "I will not forget the face of so great a dragoness, to whom I owe my life. If you wish anything further of me, you have only to ask. I am Falma Vaire, weaver and seamstress."

With a bow, she turned and headed out farther into the fields, gathering cotton as she went. After a while she was alone and found a good place to bury the piece. But she hesitated. What if it was found, and someone else was blamed for its disappearance? Could she live with herself if that happened? With a sigh, she realized she had no choice. Come what may, it was out of her hands now. If she brought it back herself, she would be suspect, but if someone else did, and as the dragoness had said the Halfbloods could tell that it had been fired by Dragon's breath, no one would think anything of it. Quickly she buried the piece in the ground, and said a quick prayer over it as if she was burying a creature before resuming her gathering more quickly than before. She needed to get a lot done in a little time now. She was far behind, and she had no desire to give any Dragon a reason to reprimand her.

"Aldaron..." She muttered the name to herself. As she worked she wondered absently what sort of person would bear such a name.

Plains of Agmar - Near Woods of Talimak

Aldaron kept within the shade of the trees as he walked, but would not venture into the Woods. He had visited many forests in his years of wandering, but the Wood was one such place that he had vowed never to go. Anyone who had never been near to it could not understand. There was a presence there, dark and foreboding, that even from this distance turned his spine to ice. It seemed the trees themselves watched his every movement, that if he took but a few steps nearer they would reach and grab him and that would be the last anyone heard. No, if a fool dies alone in a forest, he makes no sound. He would simply be forgotten, if anyone alive still remembered him in the first place.

He tried to bring his mind back to more pleasant matters to get oput of this dark mood he suddenly found himself in. But there were no more pleasant matters. He was alone in the wilderness on an impossible quest that no one but himself cared anything about. When he had set out, he had held such delusions of grandeur. But the one thing he had learned on his journey was that mankind did not want to be saved. Most of them seemed content with their short lives of labor and drudgery. They were lost in a grey mist with no desire of seeking out the sun.

Maybe the Dragons were right. Maybe his race was better suited to this role. But then, what was he doing here? Why had he been so convicted by the tale of the Teller that he had been wandering the lands for so long? Yes, the reason he had set out in the first place had been his sister, and he still held out hope that she was alive, despite the impossible odds against it. Somehow he felt that she was well, that she would know her older brother if she saw him again. It was that which kept him going, and it was for that reason that he had decided to head for the area of Wygard. He didn't know what he was to do once he got there. Probably he was going to his death. But somehow, he didn't care. It was a goal. It was a purpose. It was something that none of his kind would know anything of.

Then Aldaron thought of the Teller, the last tale which had been different from all the others before, and he hesitated. Who would look for it if he was gone? As much as he wanted to learn if his sister who was kidnapped so many years ago was still alive and still remembered him, he had a duty to fulfill. He had a promise to keep.

But not yet. He was not ready yet.

Finally, he decided. He would go to Wygard, if just to glimpse his family again. In any case he needed food and supplies for the journey to come. But he would tread carefully. He would not do anything to draw attention to himself. He would get what he needed and he would leave. And if she was there... Well, he would cross that bridge when he came to it.

Lord Tully
03-19-2010, 03:47 PM
Keldin bowed and stumbled over a "Thank you my King." before turning and leaving, he ran full pelt for the village as soon as he was out of Tulkalas' sight blood still dripping down his face. He reached his home quickly as it was the closest to the castle, once inside he started mumbling obscenities, trying to think of something, anything he could do to avoid the arena. But short of leaving completely or making sure Yvanna failed, he could think of nothing, and he couldn't either, if he interfered with her mission she'd kill him right then, and if he left, they'd hunt him down and hurt the other villagers to make an example. After venting a bit of anger by throwing an especially cheap picher against the wall, he decided to seek out Felma, she was his friend and might be able to help, he walked out to the feild where she would be working that day and found her with a dragon looking over her. He went up to Felma and said the the dragon, "Excuse me Mistress I have a message for this one that is quite important, would you mind giving us a moment of privacy?" He looked back to Felma with a desperate look in his eyes.

Lethe
03-19-2010, 05:38 PM

Her massive kitchen knife was a blur of motion as Winetta Innes, the foremost cook in all the land, was intent upon her task at the chopping block. Almost as if by magic, the vast quantities of fresh carrots, parsley, and scallions on the left side of her were converted into meticulously diced morsels on her right. She had access to nearly a dozen servants and staff members who would have gladly undertook this menial chore in her stead. And yet, Winetta now and again found solace in the sheer simplicity of this task. Her Grandmother Vertoria had begun teaching her about the intricacies of cooking from the tender age of three. She hadn’t been much older when she had received her very first set of tiny kitchen utensils. Winetta fondly remembered her time spend perched upon the high stool near the window, listening to her Grandmother, who was at that time the Head Cook, expound upon various spices, ingredients, and recipes. It was in this very kitchen that she had learned the secrets of creating sauces, thickening gravies, and substituting ingredients. Those were much happier times; a more carefree era, before the appearance of Tulkalas Kyrvallas, the current Dragon King.

She reached for another clump of freshly rinsed scallions. “Eleanor! Find out where that boy who supplies the firewood is hiding. We will soon need more logs. And make sure that he doesn’t bring anything damp. We only want dry, seasoned kindling for the ovens.”

It seemed difficult to remember a time before Tulkalas and his Silver Mistress, Nessarya, had assumed their current positions. Lately, things had been growing progressively worse for all humans, whether they lived here in Wygard Castle or in Noscales Village or in the notorious Rising City. Every servant she knew was aware of at least one close friend or family member who had recently suffered cruelty at the hands of a Dragon, or a Champion of Kyrvallas, one of the King’s misbegotten Halfbloods. Winetta made short work of the scallions, and then reached for another group of vegetables.

Dragons were in many ways superior to human beings. They could live for hundreds of years. Using their massive wings they could traverse large distances in an incredibly short period of time. They had enhanced senses. Dragons were magical creatures born with innate magical abilities. They also had sophisticated armor, magical artifacts and enhanced weaponry. It seemed only natural that they should be the dominant race in the realm. Yet recently she had been hearing rumors among the kitchen staff of one Teller who spoke out against the Dragons. He claimed to be spreading a “truth” that humankind was not meant to exist merely as the servants of Dragons and their offspring. Could it possibly be true that there was a time prior to the arrival of the Dragons? Had this actually been a world without Dragons, where men and women walked the length and breadth of the land as their own masters?

She gazed out the window. To contemplate a world without Dragons was like contemplating an ocean without water. It was such a foreign concept that it was nearly inconceivable. It was also incredibly dangerous to let her thoughts meander in such a direction. The portly woman set down her knife and slowly wiped her hands on a fresh dish cloth.

Security of Mem
03-19-2010, 06:16 PM
The Outskirts of Who

There was a cottage on the outskirts of town. It had an odd slant to it and the shutters were coming off. Near the house were small chicken coops, that had mangled and starving chickens pecking and dry earthen ground. The crops that had been planted and all but shriveled up and died. The picket fence keeping the small area of farm in, was wood rotten and falling down. The cottage overlooked a wicked forest. The forest and its branches seemed to twisted and entangle into themselves like that of dementia and madness all in one. The trees were all, but dead with no cover of leaves. However for some reason the forest was always dark and didn't allow anyone to appear through.

The cottage had a small breaking porch and balcony. Where a little one legged table leaning on the worn painted cottage. A chair with only two legs and another chair with no back legs. Inside the house were rusty old pans and pieces of paper and books on the floor. There was a lumpy couch inside that reminded everyone of an ugly potato sack. And in the kitchen dishes lay piling in the sink. The paint on the walls here to was wearing. And whatever was once of wallpaper was coming off. For the look of such neglect and abandonment there were people living here.

Three to be exact. A woman who looked young and old all at the same time. There was something about her age that was hidden by all. And old gentle man with long white hair and a white beard. He wore a gray hooded robe and he sat most days on the lumpy couch. His body seemingly being absorbed by the couch. And then outside near the withering agriculture was a young man studying the forest as if it were speaking to him.

The young man didn't make a single motion of movement. He looked like that of a malnourished skeleton with some flesh still left on his bones. But he too looked like everything else neglected and maybe far gone. His eyes glanced slowly towards the cave entrance. The one that was now spilling out chewed and worn junk. The most noticeable was the collection of broken down radios spilling from the entrance of the cave. His eyes mentioned into the windowless window frame.

"Borgashoff!" screamed the man sitting on the couch.
He stood up and grabbed the radio and began to shake it. Like a possessor of some odd drug. He looked somewhat excited and maniac about it. And you wouldn't consider this old man had any strength left in his body. But when he got this excited about the game. Well the entrance of the cave should tell you what.

Borgashoff, was a dragon game of dragons wrestling and slamming into one another. Like a Mosh Pitt party of some sort. It was a new craze sweeping the dragon nation. Especially for men. Artemis stared for a moment at his father Frederick.

"Frederick put the radio down," said a woman sitting on one of the broken chairs inside, "Or we'll have to get another new radio."

"Look woman, radios were meant to be bought," Frederick said.

"Not all the time and everywhere, don't you think you're getting to excited," Wendalin paused, "And what do you mean by woman? Are you getting a temper with me mister? And are you fighting back? And for all dragon sake no hoods on in the house."

Frederick took a moment and grumbled. He walked the radio out to the front porch and looked at Artemis.

"Your mother isn't letting me wear a hood in the house," Frederick said.

"I see so, your goal is to always look like a tryannical overlord house or no house," Artemis said, "Boy will the kings court be so sad when they see the king screaming Burgashoff."

"You don't understand its a very good game," Frederick said.

"I remember you bringing me to one. I saw it as the only time men were allowed to rub sweat against one another. I thought the point was to watch the Burgashoff pros slam into each other. Not the whole crowd slamming into one another as well," Artemis said.

"Sometimes you get into the game," Frederick said.

"I was thinking to myself when being there, I want out. I never want to smell that smell nor experience those sounds every again," Artemis said, "It was a very traumatizing experience."

"Why when ever you say those kind of things you don't sound like you mean it," Frederick said.

"Oh I'm being very serious, I now have nightmares of Burgashoff," Artemis said.

Artemis looked at the door that was falling off its hinges. Wendalin had walked out and was coming down the porch. She walked over to Artemis and gave him a smile. He gave her a slight unamused smirk. His face looked like stretched wax trying to form something more for her maternal instincts. Wendalin placed her hands through his hair and fixed it.

"At least one of us has common sense," Wendalin said.

"Give yourself some credit, you have some common sense," Artemis said.

"That the way you speak to your mother nowadays, I'm hurt," Wendalin said.

"And when have you ever spoken words of a true mother? I'm hurt, that you consider me your son, yet you don't think of me in that way," Artemis said.

"Oh I know, oh I know. Now shut up before I cut out your tongue," Wendalin said.

"We could consider this a case of domestic abuse," Artemis said.

"Yes and I'll tell them you rightfully deserved it, give yourself some credit Artemis," Wendalin said.

And after such. Chatter had been drawn out. Artemis's eyes glazed back to the forest and he watched it. As if his eyes were the only eyes that could pierce through such darkness. And his eyes could. As he saw two tiny specks heading this way. He only wondered for a moment and decided it was nothing he should worry about. If it threatened them, he would kill it. The way he had been taught.

Birdwitch Forest

Birdwitch forest was known as the impenetrable barrier. No one had said to been able to survive the journey through the forest. Many of the birds had haunted powers of nightmares, delusions, and hallucinations. And the information should have been stated more clear, no human has ever journey through the forest.

It was dark and hard to see even when streams of light crawled through the wicked branches. William was sure on several occasions he had scene a few skeletons on the ground. Of which he had no doubt in his mind that they were human skeletons. It gave him the creeps. This whole apocalypse welcome to hell feeling. His brother James however seemed to be doing far better then he was. He was the one with the cat like eyes. Or maybe it was because William was all to much aging as time went by.

William still wanted to keep his brother in site though. He didn't want to lose not only a father, but his only brother too. So he kept very close to the tailcoat of his brothers. Only when his brother stopped William stopped too.

"What's wrong?" William found himself asking.

"I'm listening to make sure nothing is tracking us," James said.

"If we do hear a rustle, its a beautiful woman bathing in a dark mysterious forest," William said, "Just like the books."

"Um...no, more like something trying to entrap you and eat you," James said.

"No a woman, a beautiful hot demon woman tracking us, trying to eat us, and making hot love to one of us," William said, "Goodbye James nice knowing you."

"Wait, you'd sacrifice me to have sex with a demon woman," James said.

"Yes and I'd gladly be her host for her babies," William said, "It would be a far more dangerous path for me then you."

"Yeah I'm chopped into a stew and you get to have your fantasy and pleasures be satisfied," James said, "Do you know how gross and wrong that sounds?"

"The only thing I'm guilty of is being a man," William said.

James rolled his eyes and began to walk off. William followed suit. They had been traveling at least three weeks now. And with no food, wine, or a harem to pleasure William's mind he found himself bored. And sleepless. He had many sleepless nights when there weren't woman to help him and calm and soothe his soul.

Williams feet ached and he could only think of woman rubbing and massaging every muscle and fiber. All he could think of was woman. And at times the sleeplessness made him see the trees as beautiful curvy woman. He saw James stopped again. All though where James had stopped there was far much more light then there had been in the hole forest. James was staring at a cottage with broken down farming. At first the placed looked vacant. But William was wrong on that. He saw from the distance someone sitting on the porch.

And what appeared to be a woman walking back into the house. No time to take caution now or safety routes. James watched as his brother ran down the hill towards the house like some love struck puppy dog. William had been needing the soaring attention of a woman. But then a skeleton walked into his face. Okay it wasn't skeleton it certainly looked alive. James had followed suit to his brother and stared between William and this new young man.

"I think he's the gatekeeper, keeping the woman hostage," William said, "Boy he's frightening."

There was a straight amount of fear on William's face and words. Yet this young man held an expression that was cold and void of emotion.

"Aaaah, mother there are strangers I'm scared," the young man said sounding nothing of fright and with no inflection of emotion.

"All right beast unhand the woman," William said, "I know you're keeping them hostage, you're the one who built the forest as well."

"Never mind mother, my fear has disappeared as I realized it is just some strange idiot," the young man said.

And this was the fated meeting. And fated moment where a journey began.

Eldora
03-19-2010, 07:57 PM
Falma sighed. She knew who it was by the sound of his voice though she was some ways off. She continued picking without looking up as she responded. "Can't it wait, Keldin? I am behind in my work already, and I need to - ow!" Cotton was a lot trickier than it seemed. You had to be careful so you didn't get stuck by the thorns that shielded the soft cotton balls, as she had just done. "I need to catch up before tomorrow." When she had finished with the plant she was working on, she paused before going on to the next to look over at him. When she noticed he was bleeding she went over to him. "Here." She reached into her bag where she had been stashing the cotton she had gathered and handed him a piece of it. "I wouldn't want you to bleed all over the rest of it." She gave him a wry smile, but it faded somewhat as she noticed that he was sweating profusely, as well as shaking. it wasn't that hot, or that cold either. Something must be really wrong for him to be acting like this. Taking on a more serious tone, she looked him in the eyes. "Alright, you have my attention. What happened?"

Lord Tully
03-19-2010, 08:08 PM
"Something terrible," He whispered, "Lady Yvanna's been sent to find the man called Teller, and if she's successful I am her reward. She want's to fight me in the arena, what do I do?!?" He was able to calm down a little and stop shaking now that he was out of the castle, but the thought of meeting Yvanna in the arena kept him from relaxing much. Keldin took a deep breath holding the scrap of cotton under his nose, he looked back to the dragon, "Mistress Va'Yana, please forgive my outburse, I will leave you now. Felma when you're done here come to my home, we'll talk more there."

Auki
03-19-2010, 10:14 PM
Va'Yana mused over the information presented to her; Yet another essential man lost amongst thousands. The task of finding them still proved hopeless. Aldaron... She would have to listen out for such a name. Someone...somewhere...must know where to find the Teller. The trouble was getting them to confess it to a Dragon.

"I suppose many humans are so dissatisfied with their lives that they are willing to believe anything."

"Don't they have reason to be dissatisfied though? Treated like inferior beings? Forced to do hard labour, kept in ignorance of so much, my species constantly watching their backs for the slightest mis-step?" She snorted, "Even I would be infuriated at being treated like such."

She was not trying to imply that humans were on the same level as herself, although she did speak to them with more respect than most Dragons, just that...Should one species really live in servitude to another? Although it provides its benefits, the ethics of it were blurred - Most were just too blind to notice. The humans seemed to have accepted the life placed upon them.

This Teller...one who was eager to fight back... It interested her.

She did not want the downfall of her own but... Well, honestly, she did not know where she stood. She did not want to become too involved, nor draw attention to herself. On the other hand, she did not want to sit by and watch the human race grovel at her knees for the rest of her days.

"...Falma Vaire..."

Va'Yana nodded with a small smile; the seamstresses reputation had grown over the last few years; Her skills were often praised. She had heard many talk of her work. Then again, she heard almost everything that went on in the village - She found it a relaxing place to subside, away from her species. Although she made no effort to make her presence known, many villagers had seen her, many had spoken of her. They were ignorant though; unobservant - Most did not even know her name.
She assumed this girl did not either.

About to bid the woman farewell, their conversation was interrupted. A green-eyed youth sprinted on the field, blood marring his features. The stench of it bit at her nostrils and she growled softly, the air reverberating with the noise. He barely paused before firmly meeting her gaze and addressing her, "Excuse me Mistress I have a message for this one that is quite important, would you mind giving us a moment of privacy?"

Did the boy have no etiquette? Her lips pulled back in a snarl - Was he dismissing her? The nerve of it! She could bite him in two. Her claws extended to their full length and sunk into the ground, indicating she had no intention of moving anywhere on command. Her tail flicked irritably but she did not interrupt him.

No, sometimes silence could be the most powerful weapon. His story was indeed of interest; she even found it somewhat humorous.

"You're to become Yvanna's pet," she chuckled, although the prospect was likely the reason he looked so shaken. Her voice turned stern though, "I will be joining you tonight. If you start without me, you will fill me in on what I missed. There is no arguement in that fact."

In the mean time, she had things to do. There was a woman she was longing to talk to - One in particular that she held in unusally high regard for a human.

The only warning Winetta recieved of her arrival was the gusts of wind blown through the open kitchen window on her landing. She was not sure of the woman's opinion of her but...well, someone in the castle must be aware of the Teller's - or this Aldaron's - whereabouts. Va'Yana needed to start somewhere before the King got too much of a lead.

She was brief when explaining her situation and patient as she waited for the Head Cook's reply.

Lethe
03-20-2010, 02:02 AM

A gust of wind blown through the open kitchen window brought nearly everyone’s attention to the massive being that had just landed directly outside. The creature was nothing less than an enormous female Dragon, a superior being of unfathomable magical abilities. A ruler of the realm. Outside the kitchen! In all of recorded history, such a thing had never before occurred. Somehow, it was doubtful that the powerful Dragon was here to merely sample the Barbary sugar torte or minced meat pie.

Events following the sudden and completely unexpected arrival of the Dragon happened more or less in the following order and fashion: Eleanor, the gangly looking assistant Cook dropped a large vat of plum pudding all over herself and the floor. A kitchen drudge who had been in the midst of meticulously cleaning a pile of dishes quickly ducked behind the sink. One servant burned her right thumb on a cast iron skillet. Another stood speechless with her mouth gaping open while a particularly young and timid serving maid fainted to the ground right on the spot. From the far corner of the kitchen could be heard the sound of someone whimpering.

Being more audacious than most, Winetta Innes was able to keep the majority of her wits about her. She steadied herself before curtsying more deeply than she had ever done in all her days. Her cheeks flushed slightly as she lowered her eyes and addressed the magnificent Dragon. Winetta dared not gaze directly into the face of the being lest her gesture be mistaken for impudence.

“I bid you welcome, Mistress Dragon. I am your humble servant Winetta Innes, granddaughter of the late Vertoria Innes. The Palace kitchen staff and I are at your service. How may we assist you?” She was secretly pleased that her voice hadn’t cracked even once during the entire greeting.

Although she felt herself to be in fairly good standing among the Champions of Kyrvallas, she truly had no idea what a mighty Ruler of the realm might think of her. Standing close to this creature, the Head Cook felt as minute and insignificant as a single grain of barley in the midst of an entire banquet spread. She had never been called to prepare a meal for a Dragon. As it turned out, the Dragon desired information on the whereabouts of The Teller, or a human male named Aldaron. In truth it had been many years since she had heard mention of the name Aldaron. Although she wasn’t privy to the immediate whereabouts of either Aldaron or The Teller, she had vast resources at her disposal. Her large kitchen staff kept her apprised of virtually anything of interest within the borders of the kingdom.

“Begging your forgiveness, my Mistress, but at this time I do not possess the information you seek. Please allow me some time so that I can fulfill your request.”

As Winetta spoke this second time, she permitted her eyes to slowly lift upwards so that she could see a small portion of the Dragon’s neck and wing. Although she would never forget the smooth, deep cadence of the creature’s voice, she wanted to be able to recognize this particular Dragon on sight. She couldn’t help but notice that the Dragon’s scales were beautifully smooth, and were a shade of opalescent white. She observed how the reflection of the sun and sky slightly altered the color of the scales as the magnificent being moved. She truly was a beautiful creature.

MidKnight
03-20-2010, 04:31 PM
Plains of Agmer

Methevas flew around in circles a couple of times before landing, there he saw a human carrying a pile of wood on his back. Landing safely and quiet as possible next to the human, he could smell the stench of how far this man was gone far.

"You sir, are in need of a bath." Methevas laughs, the man turns around, "Methevas old friend, where have you been after the winter's cold?" Methevas walks next to him but kept his distance. "You of all humans should know Omar, that most of us dragons don't like the cold, we can endure, but I prefer the sun that shines across the plains of Agmer."

Omar looks up, "Well cold or not, you've been gone for quite a while, the farm village had done quite well with the harvest and the fields."

"Yes I had seen that when I flew past the farm, say how is your sister and brother?"

Omar sighs, "Kip is doing well, but Anya is not well." Methevas stops, "Not well? is she sick?"

"For the past month she has been running a fever, we've done all we can to help her with her sickness."

Methevas looks up, "Then I shall see to it that I will help Anya, after all she did helped me heal most of the farmers back a year or two."

Omar chuckles, "Or three in your case."

"You take a bath the moment you get back to the farm." Methevas demanded when he heard Omar's statement, flapping his wings, he flew to the farm village.

Eldora
03-21-2010, 04:29 AM
Noscales Village

"Of course, Mistress Va'Yana," Falma said with a bow. It was a good thing Keldin had known her name. It would have been rude to ask a Dragon their name, but even ruder to not know it when addressing them, if that were possible. At least, that was the way she had been taught. Though she had seen this particular dragoness about before, she spent most of her time closed of from the world in her home or at the castle, so she was far more familiar with the goings on at Wygard than in her own village.

She forced herself to get back to work and to work twice as fast now that they both were gone. Even at this rate there was no way she could get every bit of cotton she needed, but she would do what she could. The hairs on the top of her head began to stand on end though as she thought of Keldin's plight. Promised to Yvanna, and not even as an ordinary servant but as a challenger... Surely it was a death sentence.

Maybe somehow Va'Yana would be able to do something. That was the only hope she could hold onto at the moment. Either that or, she was going to run away with him. She could not even believe she was thinking such thoughts. How had she come from being favored among humans to being a traitor, plotting against the will of the King of Dragons, and in so short a span.

Finally she had finished picking. At least, she could not fit any more cotton into her bag, which was something of a feat considering the nature of cotton and how large the bag was. Looking up she realized the falling sun wouldn't stay in the sky for much longer. The gates would be closed at sunset, and at night travel was forbidden. So she hurried back to the village and made for Keldin's house, still unsure what she would say to him once she got there. Looking around warily to make sure no one saw her, she knocked gently on his door. "It's me," she said quietly, opening it just a bit so that he could see her.

Dirzrahel
03-21-2010, 06:17 AM
-Woods of Talimak-

Plop.

"AAAHHH! I. HATE. PIGEONS!"

A roar echoed throughout the forest as something only this wolf could do as his head was grinding furiously into the bare ground he lay upon. Apparently, a very nasty bird had just relieved itself upon his head. The wolf would have gotten away if he could move. Unfortunately, the only thing he could move was his head. With such a limited range of motion, the evasion of the poo was impossible.

"Grrrrrrrrr, I swear, PIGEONS! When I get free, I will DESTROY your race and relish every feather I pluck from your king's plump... delicious... succulent..."

With his head done grinding into the ground to remove said poo, a new puddled had formed composed of pure saliva. He hadn't eaten in weeks. Apparently, the race of squirrels had finally gotten smart enough to ignore him. Or perhaps, the nuts were not in season. In any case, his hunger was bringing on his ferocity, and at the current point of time, he was not a happy doggy. His chains rattled, all six strands tensioning and releasing with each heave of his breathing. He lay his head down in defeat, his paws put over his eyes to hide an embarrassment no one could see anyway. Then his ears picked up a faint sound.

Digging.

His head perked up and he looked around, his paws feeling small vibrations within the ground. A rhythm that was ceaseless and almost mechanical reverberated through the ground, the topsoil in front of his eyes poking up so very gingerly.

"MOLE!"

His jaws snapped viciously as the starry nose of a mole was yanked out of the hole, the airborne rodent finally giving the wolf the sustenance he needed. Bones cracked and crunched, blood spurting out from the fresh kill of the day. The wolf happily munched and nibbled at the mole, his eyes tearing in complete and utter joy. That was the first sign this wolf was not a regular animal. Wolves don't have tears.

His eyes opened, golden irises looking upon a small bloodstain on the ground before him. All that was left of the mole, right in that tiny spot. With a face of utter regal authority, the canine commended the long lost meal.

"I praise your race, noble mole. When I am released, your sacrifice will be sung for eons upon your people. I will aid your people in their constant plight, and rid the world of your most hated adversaries, those damned pigeons."

At this point, an onlooker of this event would ponder about one thing.

This wolf is insane.

Though from a distance away, this place where this wolf is bound is considered a taboo to visit. The grass of the forest ended where this wolf lay in wait. Six stone pillars etched and carved with runes stand tall in the formation of a maleficar's star; chains of revolving colors binding the wolf to his very spot. The area was not ominous nor evil, but an absence. No hymn graced its hearing nor an incantation hazed the air. That was what bothered the wolf the most. The absence of everything.

Though in a place where six holy priests sacrificed their blood and souls to bind this wolf, the absence of all things seems to be an obvious result.

That and, of course; the plopping.

MidKnight
03-21-2010, 07:41 AM
Plains of Agmer-Farm village

Methevas flew down into the farm village, some of the farmers have came up to greet him, "Methevas, it is good to see you." Some said hello, others praised him for being back. Methevas chuckles as he looks down upon them.

"It is good to see you all, but my first concern is Anya, where is the young one?" He asked with a smile.

Some of the farmers went to a small hut, looking for the father and Anya. When they both came about and saw Methevas, they were both surprised to see him. "Methevas, it is good to see you again." Anya smiled as she was wearing a blanket on her back.

"It is good to see you as well young one, your brother has told me about your fever, tell me about it, how long did you had it?" Methevas then laid on his stomach with his forelegs crossed together.

"I caught back sometime ago while harvesting some crops that had died, I was not wearing my coat back then, I know I should have, but we were in a hurry since a storm was coming." She coughs

"I see, this is not a cold that could be cured with a simple sleep, you in fact are in need of medicine, but since you had helped me in the past few years, I will present you with a gift." Methevas stands back on his feet, his head lowers down and over Anya's.

His jaw opens overs the skull of the young girl, but no saliva has come out, a small hiss of air came from deep inside of Methevas, then a glow of yellow light came from Methevas mouth.

Anya looks up to the glow, her hand touches the glow. In a moment, when she touched the glow, everything becomes white after that, everybody was blind and dumbstruck when they saw what Methevas had performed.

After they're sight has returned, they had seen the young girl standing up without her blanket, with a smile on her face and redness on her cheeks. "Thank you Methevas." the young girl was cured from her fever. "You are welcome young one." the father came up behind Anya, "Methevas, a thousand thank you's, I don't know how to show my appreciation."

Taking a a deep breath, and raising his head back, he looks down at the father, "There is no need to award me, I am simply a humble kind dragon that looks after both the poor and rich."

Smiling as he watched the father and daughter hugged each other, Methevas looks around, "I have notice a few more small shelters had been built, has the crops grown even more than last year" He asked with curiosity

"Um, no, we had simply gone to the city to find new seeds to grew, it was a hard bargain but we managed to get a few corn seeds and others."

"And where have you received this seeds?" he asked with suspicion

The farmer rubbed his chin, "I believe it was the Noscales village, one of the farmers here have went there to sell and bring back seeds, he came back with less seeds, and silver coins."

Methevas shakes his head, "I'll shall see to it who had sold this farmer this "seeds" and I promise to bring you more of what you had bargain for."

Methevas turns around, flaps his wings and started to fly off towards Noscales Village.

Auki
03-21-2010, 02:48 PM
Va’Yana blinked at the uproar caused by her arrival. She was unused to drawing attention to herself; she forgot how terrified humans could be around her species. Pity welled inside her as a few of the younger ones went into hiding. They must hate us…
Although she had never abused a human herself, the tales of other Dragon’s affairs seemed to be stereotyped to the entire species. One of the serving girls even fainted at the sight of her.

Thankfully, her person of interest seemed to have a slight more common sense. Curtsies and a lowered gaze - It had been a while since Va’Yana had been treated as such. It was…pleasing. They could not have had many Dragon visitors before.

“I bid you welcome, Mistress Dragon. I am your humble servant Winetta Innes, granddaughter of the late Vertoria Innes. The Palace kitchen staff and I are at your service. How may we assist you?”

A strong tone fringed with fear and uncertainty - Va’Yana chuckled. From what she had observed, most Dragons were met with knocking knees and trembling voices – Either she was not as intimidating as she once thought or this woman had more guts than she realised. Silently, she hoped it was the latter. Her body was not thin or beautiful compared to most females but at least it benefited her role as a warrior. People thought twice before they confronted her.

Sniffing the air, her mouth practically watered at the scents wafting from the kitchen, a reminder that she had not eaten in an unusually long time. Her stomach threatened to growl its displeasure. She stared over Winetta with hungry eyes. Why did she insist on staying around the village when such better dining could be appreciated here? What was that scent? Pork? An array of spices she could not name tickled her nose and she resisted the urge to force her head through the window for a closer look. The building was designed for humans; she doubted she would even be able to fit her thick snout through the hole.

“Begging your forgiveness, my Mistress, but at this time I do not possess the information you seek. Please allow me some time so that I can fulfil your request.”

Her attention was drawn back to the Cook. “No, I was just hoping for a stroke of luck,” her voice rumbled softly, “They always say the kitchen is the best place for gossip.” She looked up at the open sky and sighed, “I will likely be passing by tomorrow if it does not trouble you. Any information you can receive in that time will be appreciated. I promise you, I ask this information for the good of your species, not my own.”

Edging away from the window, she spread her wings to their full length, “I doubt I’ll be able to eat tonight. If you have time to prepare anything for me tomorrow, your efforts would be greatly appreciated.”

The sun was setting rapidly and, without a backward glance, she launched herself into the air, skimming the ground for a few metres before gaining height. It was time for her to return to the Village.

Lord Tully
03-21-2010, 07:23 PM
Keldin rushed to the door, and peeked out, "Good you're here, come in." he opened the door to let Felma through. "I've been thinking and the only thing I can even think of is grovelling to Yvanna when she comes back. The other options running away or sabotaging Yvanna's mission are completely out of the question, both would just get me killed quicker and either way the villiage would probably get hurt to set an example." Keldin pressed his hands against the sides of his head. "What am I to do Felma? I don't want to die, but the thought of being Lady Yvanna's personal servant isn't all that appealling either."

Lethe
03-21-2010, 11:56 PM
Wygard Castle

Sometime after the Dragon had departed and all traces of plum pudding had been removed from the ancient stone floor, the kitchen staff was still walking on egg shells. Recipes were not being followed correctly, and dishes were getting chipped. Sensing the futility of commencing with food preparations with staff productivity being substandard, the Head Cook ordered every one of her kitchen servants to take a thirty minute break. Somehow, Winetta knew that a mere thirty minutes would not be nearly enough time for her staff to regroup. But hopefully the short break would mentally and emotionally resuscitate the other servants enough for them to begin working on the next meal without destroying it entirely. Besides, there was something very important that she personally needed to attend to while the others were away.

“They always say the kitchen is the best place for gossip.”

That was what the Dragon had told her, and the creature had been correct. Thanks to the various gossiping cooks, scullery maids, and serving staff, she knew exactly who she needed to speak with. The name Aldaron had been too familiar. She believed he had once lived here in Wygard Castle.

After her staff had disbanded, Winetta quickly made her way downstairs to the wine cellar bringing a tray of freshly baked raspberry tarts with her. There she met with the elderly sommelier, the wine steward of Wygard Castle. Although he was as dusty and ancient looking as many of the beverages he lovingly preserved, his dimly colored eyes lit up at the sight of the pastries still-warm from the oven. Winetta waited until he had enjoyed a couple bites before asking him if he remembered a young servant boy by the name of Aldaron. Winetta was pleased to know that for all his years, the wine steward’s memory was still sharp. He had remembered a great deal about Aldaron and saw fit to share the bulk of his information with her. Winetta's instincts had been correct.

She left the old man to enjoy his pastries, and then walked across the castle to speak with a number of individuals including the palace midwife, the stable master, the palace nurse, and two ladies' maids. Before the designated thirty minutes were up she had already learned a great deal about the mysterious Aldaron. The plump cook sincerely hoped that the information would be adequate enough to appease the female Dragon who had alarmed the kitchen staff with an unexpected visit.

As expected, she was the first one to return to the kitchen. Before the rest of the staff returned, she had time to perform a brief inspection of her culinary demesne. The chipped dishes could be easily replaced, and she decided that the next meal was salvageable.

What was a bit more important to her than the castle’s next meal, however, was determining what she was going to cook for a sizable female Dragon! She had no idea what might be desirable to a Dragon’s sophisticated palate. Her mind frantically ran through a host of recipes. Venison with pepper sauce? Would that be too spicy? Peppercorn pheasant? Baked mutton in butter sauce? Beef briscuit with herbal rice? If she prepared cornish hen niblets, how many would she need – a thousand? The next twenty four hours were going to be nerve wracking. The Head of Wygard Castle chewed nervously on her lower lip. Why hadn’t wise old Grandma Vertoria ever mentioned anything about preparing a meal for a Dragon?

Eldora
03-22-2010, 12:56 AM
Noscales Village

Falma set her bag down against the wall and sat down in a nearby chair. "I really don't know, Keldin. I... I just..." She sighed. This day had been all too much for her. Looking him in the eye, she decided to tell him what had happened. "If you decide to run, I will come with you. If my own luck continues the way it has, the Champions might be after me soon."

She went on to explain about the scrap of cloth, and the close call with the halfblood guard earlier in the day. Then she told about how Va'yana had helped her, and how she'd tried to return the favor by saying what she knew about the Teller, which wasn't much. "She may be able to help us, but short of that the only options are to either run or to stay and face whatever lies ahead."

She fidgeted for a while with a scrap of cotton from her bag. It was a habit of hers. She could never seem to keep her hands still for long periods of time, and she found that keeping them busy helped her to think. Suddenly she stopped and stood up. "But there is a chance. It's a very small one but one nonetheless, that you could plead your case to Nessarya. Last I heard though she was heading for the mountains though. You're her messenger though, aren't you? Do you know when she'll return?" The Mistress of Illusion was well known for disappearing with little warning and returning without word.

Plains of Agmar, near Woods of Talimak

Aldaron knew he had heard something from those Woods, some inhuman screams that he might almost imagine he could understand. But he had his back to them now, and all the other maddening noises and sights they contained. It was evening now, so he began to grow more bold, walking along the traveled paths instead of sneaking through the brush. He knew that no humans would be out travelling at night besides himself, and no dragons of halfbloods knew of his existance, so he could walk at his own liesure towards his destination.

Or so he thought. In the dimming light he caught sight of a flock of black birds heading his direction, and he instantly crouched low to see what had spooked them. Years of wandering had made his eyes keen, and though nowhere near as sharp as a Dragon's he figured or at least hoped they were on par with a Halfblood's. As he searched the sky though, what confidence he'd had earlier left him empty and cold. It was a Halfblood, one of the winged Champions at that, and heading straight for him.

The brush here was far too low to hide in, and if he stayed where he was, he knew he was as good as dead. So he did the only thing he knew to do. Whatever fate awaited him in the Woods of Talimak, he hoped it was at least better that whatever that Halfblood had in mind for him. He ran with all the speed he could muster, and only just managed to reach the shade of the trees when the Halfblood veered off it's course. Either he wasn't it's primary concern, or else it hadn't even noticed him, for it made no attrempt to follow. In either case, Aldaron felt like a fool. No, worse, a coward and a fool.

MidKnight
03-22-2010, 01:10 AM
Noscales Village

Methevas flew in quietly into Noscales village, he mostly walked the rest of the way, although he dislikes flying into a large building, big enough for him to enter. Usually he flies into the building, and socialize with who ever.

When he came about, his landing was quiet than ever. Some travelers and other farmers were gazing up his appearance. Methevas bowed his head a couple of times, folding his large wings, he finds himself walking into a market district. He asked around about anybody selling seeds to a farm village in Plains of Agmer. Some humans were not very concerned about the situation, but they gave him directions to where they had seen a farmer from Plains of Agmer.

Dirzrahel
03-22-2010, 01:36 PM
The wolf's ears perked up once more, this time, there was no mole. It was a different species, but still an animal to his eyes. Apparently, his eyes were deceiving him. He hadn't thought any animal was smart enough to cross-breed.

What he saw chilled him to the bone. The sound echoed within his mind. That wet splat and the cry of pain the next moment. What he saw bewildered his eyes. He cocked his head to the side in confusion.

"By the Kings... the pigeons have cross-bred with humans to make ABOMINATIONS!"

The wolf's eyes grew wide, his mind mulling over the fact that if this cross-breed were to poop on him, he would surely die.

Moreover, it occurred to him that over the past eons, no one of humanoid background had come near his little outdoor prison. Then something else occurred to him. There was a human in the bushes at the edge of his stone circle confinement. It looked scared of the giant pigeon-human in the sky. He didn't blame the human though. That thing up there was horrifying in regards to feces and plopping, but looked like something that would just have to eventually be taken down by a hunter with a bow. Hell, he'd do it. Annihilating these half-breeds might constrict the pigeon's army and render the birds into hiding, to make a stratagem for their next move. The next plop.

The wolf rattled the chains around his neck, trying to get the attention of the human. Something then crossed his mind. The ultimate weapon he had developed while entrapped in his prison, the fruit of saving power for so many centuries. This was his chance! This was his destiny to let all of the power he had saved up out!

"I've only got one shot at this, so I have to get it right..."

The wolf breathed in deeply, his eyes closing. The chains rattled in anticipation, an unknown power flowing through the metals that binded the demon's true power. The wolf opened his eyes, and with one fell bellow, let loose his power.

"MEOOOOOOOW!"

"NO! WOLVES HOWL! DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT!!!"

Eldora
03-22-2010, 02:03 PM
Woods of Talimak

Aldaron heard a noise from behind him. It sounded like the rattling of chains. I haven't been in these Woods but for a moment, he thought, and already my mind is going. Taking a deep breath and ignoring the unusual smell of the air, he closed his eyes and concentrated. Pull yourself together. The halfblood is gone now. All you have to do is walk away. Just one step at a time.

But no sooner had he taken his first step that he heard another noise. One that sounded like a deranged cat. Probably the poor thing had wandered into the forest unknowingly, and had lost it's mind in the process. He decided that he was just going to keep going and ignore it. At the worst all it could do was scratch him. But as long as he stayed focussed on the edge of the wood, surely he would be alright.

Then he heard the loud cursing, and against his better judgement he turned to face the noise. After he had stared for a long moment at the talking white wolf that was tethered by multicolored chains to a circle of pillars, he sighed and closed his eyes, shaking his head. "Damn it, it has already happened. Scarcely a minute in this occursed forest and already I have gone insane."

If Yvanna had not been so focussed on her task, she would have seen the human, but in fact she had not been chasing him at all, but simply flying over the Woods to the base of the Whitebreath Mountains. She had decided to follow a lead that the old man called Teller had come this direction, and was likely hiding out in the caves. It would make sense for a human to think that way. Aside from a few caves, these mountains were mostly unexplored by Dragons, since they were too large to attempt the smaller natural passageways. A human could probably live in hiding in the caves for quite some time though, without fear of being caught. Of course, she thought with a smile, he will not be expecting me.

Wygard Castle

King Tulkalas stretched his golden wings to ease the tension in them, and flicked his long tail back and forth in boredom. He was hungry. It had been days since his last hunt. Usually he had the animal keepers set some of their stock free so he could chase them down and feel as if he were hunting them. He was bored with this though. He wanted real wild meat this time. It was already dusk, but that did not bother him as his vision was best at night, and his prey would not be expecting it. Reaching over to the side, where a great golden gong hung on the wall, he flicked it with his claws to summon a servant.

The sound of it reverberated through nearly the entire castle, and within moments a rather bulky human came in and bowed low to the ground in front of him. "Oh Great One, what is it that you require?'

"Perpare my bedchambers. I am going hunting, and after that I wish to retire early. In the morning when I rise, I want you to bring my children to me, save Yvanna for I believe she has already left. I have want of their company. Tell the chef to have their favorite meals prepared by morntide tomorrow, and also I want to have parchment and ink prepared. It has been a while since I have issued a royal decree." The dragon king shook with ammusement, showing some of his more impressive teeth in a grin.

"Yes, Your Highness. I shall do all." Bowing again, the servant waited on Tulkalas's word before leaving, a drop of sweat falling from his face as he tried to remember everything.

"Fine. You may leave."

With a final bow, the human hurried to do all that Tulkalas had said. He remembered all to well what had happened the last time he had let something the king had ordered slip from his mind. By the Dragons I hate this job, he thought miserably.

Dirzrahel
03-22-2010, 02:12 PM
The wolf gasped, eyes still wide. He was still expecting a sudden death to occur to him from a giant load of airborne poo. However, the human could hear him, this he could use to his advantage. He rattled his chains once more, his two tails wagging furiously as he lowered his head down to his paws. His eyes grew noticeably wet, his head cocked to one side. A tear went down his cheek as he whined like a dog whines, making himself look absolutely pitiful. Perhaps he could get the human to get closer? This was either a way out, or a hand for lunch.

The wolf noticed his plan was not working.

He stopped the whining, his head back up and his eyes looking directly at the human. His mouth hung halfway open, pure white teeth reflecting the sun's gentle rays. His paw moved, one claw extended as it pointed to the ground right in front of him. He poked the ground a couple times, raising a wolfy eyebrow to the human.

"HUMAN. GET THE HELL OVER HERE NOW."

The wolf's eyes closed as his claw furiously poked the ground, making a small hole.

"NOW, HUMAN. YOU DON'T HAVE MUCH TIME UNTIL THE PIGEON-MAN COMES BACK."

The wolf stopped its incessant poking of the ground, but still had what could have been an eyebrow raised at the human. He barked once, signifying that he would not repeat himself. He was a demon that wanted to get the hell out of there. To get the hell out of there before the deadly plopping began.

Eldora
03-22-2010, 03:09 PM
Woods of Talimak

Aldaron shrugged, "Well, why not? Either I am insane and talking to an spectre of my mind, or else you are a talking wolf in need of freeing. In either case, I see no harm in helping you, creature, as long as you swear to do none to me." This whole thing was utterly ridiculous, but if this creature was real, then they might be able to help each other. Aldaron had heard stories that magical creatures resided in these Woods, and it was just possible that this was one of them. If this wolf before him existed, there might be something to the fairytales about people helping strange forest creatures and getting rewarded for it. And if not, if he was insane, then it would do him no good to leave now anyway. Better to be insane and in good company than insane and alone.

He laughed at the antics of the wolf as well as its description of the halfblood that he had thought was chasing him earlier as a "pigeon-man'. "How long have you been tied here, wolf, that you don't know a Halfblood when you see one? But then again, in all my years I have never come across a talking wolf or even heard tell of one, so perhaps I am being unkind. Not to worry though, it has already flown past. It did not seem to even notice either of us. Seemed intent on something else, though I'll admit it certainly frightened me for a moment."

Walking around the wolf, Aldaron examined the collar and chains from several different angles, then reached out and touched them. They seemed real enough, as did the pillars they were connected to. "I'll do what I can to free you, but I'm not sure how much good it will do." Searching around, he could find nothing that would be solid enough the pry the chain links apart. "Maybe fire, if I could get it hot enough..." He looked at the wolf. "No, I would not risk it with these dry leaves everywhere. I wouldn't want your coat to catch, for that would do no one any good." It would take an awfully large fire to weaken the chains, and he would have to do the same to all of them to break the wolf free. Besides, such a fire would draw the attention of every Dragon, Halfling, and human alike for miles, and that was the last thing he wanted.

Finally, he sat, thinking. "Don't worry, wolf. I'm sure there must be a way of freeing you that I have not thought of..."

Dirzrahel
03-22-2010, 04:37 PM
"Actualleeeeeeeeeeee, there is, human." The wolf said in a long drawn-out interruption. He rattled the chains around his neck once more, winking at the man.

"And to answer that, I don't know how long I've been here. I lost count after grass and trees started growing around this circle. This used to be a very barren, middle-of-nowhere land. They called it The Cauldron, if I remember correctly. It is bearable now considering what the land was before. It was called that name because the heat was so much, that one could melt gold on the ground." He continued, licking his paw nonchalantly. He chuckled, which was not something a wolf should do, but he did it anyway. He liked how this human thought he was an apparition. Though, he might not be far from the truth.

"Fire will not melt these chains. They're enchanted to keep a certain someone at bay and on the ground," The wolf said, pointing a claw at himself, "but to go back to what I had said before, there is a way. Tell me, young one, when you were a but a child... have you heard stories of demons? Of course you have, that's a redundant question. The demons of the mind. Rage. Greed. Lust. Envy. Gluttony. Sloth. Pride, that's my personal favorite. Since you were taught these stories, obviously, you know how one controls a demon. Through the contract."

The wolf used a claw to draw a very-well articulated pentacle on the ground before his muzzle. It was a surprise he had that much artistic at that. Dogs have no colored sight, how do they make art?

"Now, the contract. That is an agreement between mortal and immortal that they will serve each other until death or deed done. The regular things you humans want are quite simple. Power, wealth; these things of every human's mind. I can grant you these, in exchange for your soul." The wolf said, looking at at the human with the cutest doggy smile he could come up with. Though, it made him look ridiculous. His tongue's tip was out of his mouth and he looked like a mentally-challenged dog.

"But, there are alternatives. In exchange for a teensy-weensy bit of your blood, I could be your servant. You would be my master. I can take on whatever form you would like. I suppose you like the blonde females of your species? The ones with the big bouncy things on their chests and a nice rump. I could make myself into this for you. Though if you're a more chaste fellow, I will take the form I've always taken to mingle with your kind. It's my favorite. Now, if you'll sign this agreement with a drop of blood..."

The wolf had been busily sketching out a contract of words and symbols on the ground before him with his claw. The pentacle on the bottom was signed by demonic symbols in the name, "Andronochuss", the letters spaced in a whirlpool entering the pentacle. The wolf chuckle again as he brought his paw to his maw and bit off some fur, spitting it onto the middle section of the pentacle.

"Just think of it! Your own personal slave. No need to read the fine print, it just lists some details about my service that would mean nothing to a human. Now, bite your finger and draw some blood, then press it down on that bit of saliva-upped fur on the pentacle here." His mouth formed a very wide smile this time, his teeth showing, his eyes closed in joy. Perhaps he was finally getting out of here?

Eldora
03-22-2010, 05:28 PM
Woods of Talimak

"A demon... No, I don't believe I have heard of such thing. Is that what you are then? The only creatures in our oldest stories are Dragons. There are some tales of talking animals like yourself, however. Is that what your race call themselves? Are there more of you?"

"You should know that as a human I am unable to make a contract. It is forbidden for a human to write. Then again, I don't suppose there is any harm, since by now I have already broken countless laws. I'm sure if the Dragon king were to find me I would die a thousand ways, so one more sin against me means little."

Aldaron watched with curiosity as the wolf drew intricate patterns in the sand. His eyes widened. "You are immortal? As... as a Dragon?" He thought this over a moment. "Very well, I am bound to no one, and you are bound only to those columns. Perhaps we could help each other after all. I do not desire wealth, for as a human what would I do with it? The only power I desire... I dare say I might need some help in aquiring that, and the help of an immortal like yourself would be much appreciated in my quest."

"My soul, demon wolf?" He laughed, gesturing to his leather boots which he turned up for emphasis. "I don't see what you would want with my boots. They do not even have soles on them." Of course he knew what the creature was really referring to, but he thought it best to play dumb. He would pledge his sould to no one and nothing, for then the freedom he had worked so hard to obtain and keep would be worthless. He had been a slave once. He would not ever willingly become one again.

"You would be my servant?" Aldaron's brow furrowed in a frown. There was something about all of this that he didn't like. It seemed wrong somehow. For one, he did not like the idea of owning anyone. Especially not an immortal. It would be like a human with a pet dragon. It was ridiculous. For another, all this talk of souls and slavery made him uncomfortable. He knew there was something this creature would be getting out of this contract that he wasn't saying. That was the way with Dragons as well. They would tell you the truth, but not all of it. But there was no way for him to know for certain. He couldn't read, and even if he could have the demonic symbols mixed with the human tongue would have made it impossible for him to understand everything.

Aldaron shook his head at the unsettling picture the demon presented. "No, I would want you to take on the form of your choice. It would be wrong of me to ask otherwise." He sighed, finally resigned that he was going through with this, whatever it was. This creature could help him, and it would not be right to just leave it there, which seemed like the only alternative. "Alright, I'll do it, but don't think this means that I trust you, demon."

Finding a small sharp rock, he cut the end of his finger. His teeth couldn't puncture flesh like the wolf's could, and he had no desire to let it bite him, since it might decide it liked his flavor. Demon or no demon, it was still a wolf after all. Holding his finger up carefully - he had forgotten how much a tiny wound like a cut finger could smart, and the rock had been somewhat jagged - he placed it in the middle of the odd picture the wolf had drawn, where the scrap of fur and saliva was. He felt somewhat silly, doing all of this, and wasn't at all surprised that the pain in his finger increased as if it were on fire. No telling what sort of fowl things that creature had in its mouth over its many years of imprisonment. But the deed was done now. Whatever he'd just done, there was no turning back. But what had he done? The thought came again to him that he was dreaming all of this and that he was spiralling deeper and deeper into insanity even now. But if that was the case, did it even matter at this point?

Dirzrahel
03-22-2010, 06:00 PM
With tentative eyes, the canine watched the human get a sharp rock and draw his own blood. The finger came down and touched his fur. The wolf laughed as soon as that happened, the writing on the ground disappearing in a sudden wind that came by, unnatural to the forest in every bit.

"Aaaah, much better," The wolf commented, finally able to get up from his perpetual place of laying down, and sat on his haunches.
"You have no idea how long I've been laying in that exact same spot, master. It's been quite tedious. You've saved me from a further life of boredom!" The wolf exclaimed, its eyes suddenly emanating a dark, smoke-like miasma.
"Now that I'm connected to you, these chains should be quite frail. You see, I was sealed here to prevent me from massacring a city. The only two ways to get off of these leashes is for a priest to break them with a blessed sword, or your way. A contract. Your blood is quite valuable to me, since these chains only bind demons... but your human blood is confusing them."

He brought his paw up and licked it tenderly, his crimson tongue flapping in the air. He licked his other paw the same way, then grounded both. With one swift movement, the wolf leaped to stand on all four, and promptly shook his head once. A clink went off. Then another. Then another.

Like a rapid-fire sound, the links of the chains burst from their joints and fell to the ground, the plinking and clinking of precious metals filling the air. The wolf sat there innocently as the bits of metal lay on the ground, the only thing left on him the collar of silver. He approached the human, growling menacingly, then chuckling directly after. He found it comedic. Right after he said he would not go through another contract, he did. Such a contradictory person.

The wolf went forward and rubbed on his master's leg, his whole fluffy body pressing against and running along, then he went through between his legs, then went along the other leg.

"Well, yes. You do indeed smell like human. By the way, you should know. I'm not a demon wolf." He said, trotting swiftly.

His wolf body suddenly transformed, fur becoming smooth, tan skin. Pointed ears adorned the head of a very chiseled and ruggedly handsome man, a head taller than his own master. A cascade of pure white hair ran down to the middle of his back and caressed the black sleeveless vest he had over a crimson-colored armor. Black pants kept his nether-parts from showing, held up by a belt decorated with steel odds and ends, a buckle leading off a tiny string of red. His right arm was bandaged to an elbow plate of armor, his right hand fondling the steel chain of a very antique pocket watch.

He took a bow, flicking the silver collar around his neck as a "ding!" filled the air. Flourishing backwards in a backflip and landing in a crouch, he looked to his master.

"Tah-dah! I am called Andronochuss, Demon King of Pride. At your service, master." He announced, his eyebrow raising.

"You may refer to me as 'Andy' for short."

He stood up, snapping his fingers as he offered his hand for a shake.

"And ah yes, thanks to those antics, I am about as powerful as a regular human. I am very, very weak to precious metals. Even more so if they've been blessed. My impurity will eventually corrode this silver collar, but in the meantime, I will act as your humble servant, master."

Eldora
03-22-2010, 06:40 PM
"Well I suppose that's good to know..." He said in reply to the demon's comment about him smelling like a human.

Aldaron watched with interest, but wasn't at all surprised, when the demon changed form in front of him. Nothing much could surprise him at this point. He gazed at the watch with some curiosity though, never having seen anything like it before, but he didn't make any mention of it.

He reached out to shake his hand. "Andronochuss. Interesting name." He rubbed his temples, trying to ease the sudden headache he felt. "I would prefer if you didn't call me master, though. I have spent much of my life as a slave, so I cannot bear the title nor could I call anyone my servant. My name is Aldaron, so if you are to call me anything let it be that."

Turning aside, he headed back the way he had come, wishing to be out of the Woods as quickly as possible. "Well, the sun it seems has already set. I'd best get moving if I want to get to the castle by tomorrow. I didn't intend to come here, and I don't plan to stay either. If your strength is indeed diminished, it might not be wise for you to come with me. No doubt the Dragons would kill you if they learned of your existance. Or else find some way of making you their pet, no offense intended. I could not ask you to risk harm. Besides, the reason for my going is... Well, it is somewhat personal."

Dirzrahel
03-22-2010, 06:56 PM
Andy chuckled, shaking hands with the boy. He liked this human. Not phased at all. THe marks of a warrior!

"Yes, Master Aldaron, master." Andy said, snickering silently to himself. THen his eyes filled with dismay, a lone tear rolling down his cheek.
"But Aldy, I'm not that weak! I could surely defend myself against those big scaly pigeons. Which reminds me, when our business is done, I request a leave of absence for a single day. I wish to exact vengeance on those fluffy, feathery fiends." Andy added, evil thoughts racing through his head on what he would do to the birds.

Soooo many years of pooping on my head... oooh, revenge will be SWEET.

"And Aldy, you shouldn't worry about my health. No pigeon will kill Andy. I'm much too skilled for that to happen. And me, be their pet!? HAH! You are the one with the seal and the contract. I am bound to you, just as I was bound within those chains. Though, now I get to move and frolic! Frolic! Such a wonderful word to coexist with free-DUM!" Andy chimed, skipping merrily around Aldaron as his master walked. He was quite a happy demon at this point. He started doing cartwheels and back-hand springs around Aldaron after the skipping, his energy boosting his body along with excitement. Though, in the middle of such celebration, Andy stopped, standing on his hands.

"The pigeons have a castle? What in limbo do you mean by that? Well, meh. Nevermind that question. I'll simply see so myself when our business is at hand. You may need me there. After all, I am in no condition to fight, but if you order me to do so, I will attempt my best. I owe you a great deal, young master. You gave me freedom from that wretched place."

Good, he isn't smart enough to realize he could make me turn into a horse. Honestly, I need some expressive time to work out all the kinks in my body that have developed all those years. Of course, there is the plotting. Oh, the PLOTTING. Cook 'em, stew 'em, boil them alive...

Mary Sue
03-22-2010, 07:44 PM
The Rising City
Fire and brimstone...what lovely smells...
Sval inhaled deeply as he padded the halls of the magnificent Rising City. While he was an underling of the Dragon King Tulkalas, Sval liked to think of that city as his own tiny domain. The hammering of well...hammers and picks rose of from the mines all around. Followed occasionally by an explosion as the miners blasted new tunnels into being. The smoke from the countless factories and mills and mines, produced a cloud of black and orange smog that hung over the sky and shielded the city. However, despite the little sunlight, the city was always swelteringly hot. Sval liked the heat, but the city stank with human sweat. For some reason Sval could not fathom, humans were very sweaty creatures. From his vantage point in the sky, Sval could also see the port and the ocean where goods were shipped in and out of the city. The water was choppy and grey that day. Sval decided the weather at sea must be turbulent. Even the dock workers seemed to notice for they were working slower than usual. Sval roared at them as he soared past and grinned as the lazy humans jumped back to work. It was a satisfying alarm, and one for which he did not need halfbloods for. He could manage his own humans, and so the Rising City was kept clear of halfbloods save for the warrior's district and the arena. Those were the only two places he allowed them, after much argueing and bargaining with Tulkalas. Most dragons would cower in fear at the very thought of challenging Tulkalas, but Sval was noble as well, and he often held his ground until he got what he wanted....or an agreement could at least be reached. With one last circle over the city, Sval headed back to the castle at the peak. The next arena games were undergoing planning, and he had a few new ideas. Certainly, Tulkalas would be entertained at his next visit.

Wygard Castle

Glade sat on the windowsill of his bedroom high above the ground. One foot was propped up on the sill, and the other dangled idly out the window. He was polishing a dagger as he watched Yvanna take wing from the courtyard down below. He wondered bitterly what new mission thier father had assigned her and not him. His violet eyes watched his sister until she vanished over the horizon, before he returned back to polishing his weapon lovingly. It was a beautiful dagger, with a saphire blue blade and was enchanted thanks to thier father. The sword that was its twin rested on his lap. They were lovely blades, and they were Glade's favorite out of all the ones Tulkalas offered him.
But they still weren't as grand as Yvanna's lance.. He thought bitterly.

Lord Tully
03-22-2010, 08:56 PM
Keldin thought over it for a moment, "That soun'd prmising, I was one of Mistress Nessarya's favored messengers, perhaps she could talk Yvanna out of killing me, but I do not know when she will return and I am forbidden to leave the village so I cannot seek her out. Mistress Va'yana might help, she is known in the castle for being almost kind to humans, so she is another option." Keldin sighed, "I don't know what to do Felma, I do not wish to die, but I could never survive if I ran away, even if I could avoid the dragons. And I don't know if either Nassarya or Va'yana will help. What do I do?" he asked as he sat down on the bed.

MidKnight
03-23-2010, 04:19 AM
Noscales Village

Methevas wondered store to store looking for the one who sold and took the farm villagers money. While searching, a few half bloods ran into him.

"Lord Methevas." They bowed their heads, as did Methevas.

"May we be of assistance?" they asked.

"I am looking for the one who bought and sold from a farmer from a farm village from Plains of Agmer."

They both looked at each other, one half blood soldier looks up at Methevas, "Then you want to speak with Aagarious, He was the one who sold some items to a farmer from Plains of Agmer, usually he gives them the right price, but then he just changed."

Methevas rubs his chin, "Aagarious eh?, very well then, where would I find this Aagarious?"

The two half bloods pointed east of the markets, "Thank you." he was grateful, he bows his head and move towards through the markets, though his large body knocked several items, he apologizes as he tried to make his way.

Auki
03-23-2010, 04:15 PM
It was getting late. The air was starting to chill. Va’Yana flew close to the ground by habit. There was little life wandering the Plains at night; a silence blanketed the land, giving her that uncomfortable feeling that something sudden was about to happen. The Village appeared more quickly than she expected and she pulled upwards slightly, skimming the tops of the houses, careful not to make a noise. She was not keen on the Halfbloods questioning her presence – They were growing more arrogant of late; almost as though they considered themselves on the same level as her. She growled – The hybrids were lesser than humans, morphed for the sake of power and status.

Out of the corner of her eye, she spotted another Dragon and out of instinct, she stopped to silently observe him. The roof she landed on creaked dangerously under her weight and she grunting, gliding down to the path before it collapsed. Violet eyes glinted in the dull light as she watched the male Dragon from afar. …Methevas…

She was curious of the reason for his presence of course but…well, she needed to get back to Falma. She needed to know the details of this mission Keldin had been sent on. It was…important.

Why am I getting so involved in these human affairs? Curiosity can only carry my interest so far…

Eldora
03-23-2010, 04:42 PM
Plains of Agmar

Aldaron sighed. "Very well, call me whatever you like." He watched Andy's gymnastic feats with little interest. "Do as you please, but do not say I didn't warn you. Dragons are a force to be reckoned with. Not saying you yourself are not, but..."

He gestured with his thumb over his shoulder back toward the Woods. "You say that humans did that to you. The weakest of all races in Kyrval... er... that is, Earth. But the Dragons are immortal as you are. They are powerful, and able to use magic and change their forms, as you are. They are the masters of this world now. Below them are their children, the Halfbloods. They create them by some secret magic, since they cannot bear natural children. Most Halflings resemble humans, only with some difference like the one with wings you called pigeon man earlier. They are increadibly powerful, and also able to use magic. I tell you all this not to insult you, but to warn you. If I am indeed your master now, then your welfare is now my concern as much as mine is yours. You might even match the strength and ability of a Dragon, but even you would stand no chance against all of them. If they learn of you, you will have a war, for they can tolerate nothing as powerful as they are. Even less than they can tolerate a Dragonless human like myself." Or the Teller, he thought. His countenance fell at the disturbing thoughts that crossed his mind then, but he pushed them away and focussed on the task of staying alert and alive.

They were less than a mile from a small farming village. At the moment Aldaron couldn't think of the name of it, but he knew it had a reputation for being looked after by a kind-hearted Dragon called Methevas. Still Aldaron did not want to take any chances. "I understand your joy at being freed, but the world in which you find yourself is a very different one form the world you remember. Now try to keep quiet for a while. We will be approaching a town soon, and I want no trouble from its guardians."

Noscales Village

Standing, Falma went over to a window and pushed the curtain aside just enough so that she could see the sky without being seen herself by anyone watching. She then put it back and turned to Keldin. "It is already sunset. The Halfbloods will be swarming the streets soon and I won't be able to go back to my own home tonight without getting caught. Where could she be? Do you think something has detained her?"

She shook her head. "No, she is a Dragon. Nice as she may be, that won't change. She can't be bothered with human matters. They are beneath her. I am afraid I have been far too optimistic. It may very well be that there is nothing we can do. I.. I'm sorry, Keldin."

Mary Sue
03-23-2010, 05:47 PM
Noscales Village

Glade headed down in path to Noscales Village in quiet solace. It was his least favorite task, patrolling the human village, but he did so dutifully. He did everything dutifully. His long grey hair whisped about him in a cool night breeze, and created a phanton look. Glade relished his silent steps that his light body provided. He was stealthy, and lethal in every sense of the word. He was a predator, and he was forced to stalk prey that cowered in thier houses.
"Such is the law," He told himself. It would be pitiful if he had to kill a human on happen-stance. Glade was a warrior, and he loved combat and violence. But even he had enough compassion when it came to innocent life.
Though if they aren't guilty for one thing...they are guilty for another. No human is innocent of all sin. Glade thought and stroked the hilt of his blades as the village opened up before him.

Auki
03-23-2010, 06:40 PM
Va’Yana noticed a Halfblood gliding down a street ahead, a winged female who made no acknowledgement of the Dragon’s presence. The sight managed to jog her from her thoughts however. Damn it! Damn it! Methevas’ appearance had caused her mind to wander; it was getting darker by the minute – She could return to query the male Dragon later.

Launching herself upward, she soared over the remaining streets, hitting the ground outside Keldin’s house was a loud thud. The sound reverberated at the impact and she paused, glancing down the surrounding side alleys. It went unnoticed however – The patrols must have assumed the noise was made by a Dragon. Hopefully, they would leave her be.

A little too hastily, she nudged her snout through the door, almost knocking over Falma in the process. “Forgive me,” her voice rumbled before she realised who she was apologising to. A sense of shock overcame her as the words registered and she withdrew her nose thoughtfully. Things are changing it seems…

She laid her head down next to the door, her body pressed against the cold ground outside, “Is it too late, little ones? I have been trying to find more information on our mysterious Teller to no avail…Forgive my lateness.”

Dirzrahel
03-23-2010, 06:42 PM
Andy chuckled ever more as he performed some more acrobatics around his master, eyes bright, his golden irises reflecting rays to match the sun's brilliance.

"Master, come now. Humans did that to me because I was ordered to by my master of that time. I cannot go against the contract, no matter the order. However, if a contradictory order is issued, such as kill you, the contract would be nulled. I cannot cause harm to my master nor may I go against his wishes, or the contract will be nulled, and I will not get my end of the bargain." The demon explained, floating in the air and landing gracefully atop the head of Aldaron. He was as light as a feather after all, as a spirit should be. He had his arms crossed as he perched atop his master's head, a hand coming up in objection.

"But, master, you humans have quite the power within your squishy bodies. Unlike all other species of this world and even worlds beyond," Andy explained, crouching in a frog leap position on his master's head, "you humans have the ability to create." He finished, winking. He laughed, his body getting smaller and smaller. A long, furry tail smacked the back of Aldaron's head as what was Andy was now a pure white tabby cat with faint, black tiger stripes. The cat spun around and around on Aldaron's head, then curled up in a ball as if it were sleeping.

"But for now, you humans need to believe you're of use. I can feel your emotions, master. You're strong. Makes me proud to have such a master. You need to demonstrate this strength though. Your resolve needs some work, but that will come in time," The kitty yawned openly, mewing softly, "and you definitely need some pointers on combat. Your hands have seen work, but have never really wielded a blade. I can help in your training if you command me to do so. Meeww." The kitty purred softly, his claws scratching behind his ears nonchalantly.

"These over-sized pigeons and their abomination children... they pose no threat to you as long as I am here. Even if it drains me of even the power to change forms as I please, no harm shall come to your body. I am a sword and shield of your will, my master. I am the purveyor of whatever you seek. I am the safeguard of your beliefs. I am a very cute kitty-cat. Meow. No one will suspect this cute lil' kitty is destruction in definition." Andy said, the kitty's paw going up in the air to reveal two extended claws in a "V", with a bright pink tongue stuck between the cat's lips. Andy sighed, curling up into a tighter ball and and quickly going into pseudo-sleep.

Mary Sue
03-23-2010, 07:43 PM
Glade stopped as the familiar sound of beating wings caught his attention. He frowned suspiciously. The heavy sound was too heavy to be that of another champion. The only two dragons Glade knew who frequented the village were Va'Yana and Methevas. They watched over the humans as they worked, but he'd never known them to linger after the days work was done. The quiet village felt distrubed and his ashen skin pricked with anticipation.
What was he to do? Surely Mistress Va'Yana had reason to be in the village while the humans should be retiring...right? Although she was a curious one, Glade trusted her to obey the law as he trusted every other dragon, halfblood, and human.
"At any rate," he decided, "I should remind her not to disturb the humans while they rest. Father would be furious if they couldn't work becuase they were tired..."
As another halfblood passed, Glade asked wether or not he had seen the female warrior.
"She took wing moments ago," The soldier replied.
"She headed for the far end of town, closest to the castle walls."
Glade dismissed him with a nod and turned down a side street, as he followed the soldier's directions.

MidKnight
03-23-2010, 08:00 PM
Methevas found the little store, he lowers his head and takes a look inside, the owner was ready to close up shop. "I am sorry but we are about to close for the night, please come back in the morning."

"I'm afraid, I can't do that."

The owner recognizes the voice, and of course the heavy breathing. He slowly turns around, "Methevas." he says surprisingly. "What brings you here." The owner rubs his hands into a small cloth.

"I am here on behalf of the farm village in the Plains of Agmer, it appears that someone here have taken most of their money, but gave them less supplies." Methevas lies on his belly and rolled his forelegs together.

"Methevas, it wasn't me, and if it was you know I would sell a good price to those folk living in the plains of Agmer, but the store fell to a different owner and I'm nothing but a mere shop keeper."

"Aagirous?" he asked suspiciously.

"Yes, how did you know?, wait, never mind, of course, everybody has heard of him. He says that he is from a wealthy family and his parents left him a will. He was given every shop that they owned, and Methevas, the Styxe clan owned this shop."

Rubbing his chin, Methevas was thinking for a moment, "I believe that there might be something odd behind this, I know some of the Styxe family, it has been a while since I heard from them. But right now I will speak to the Styxe family in the morning, it is getting very late, better hurry to close up shop." Methevas gets up from the ground. He tries to move slowly out of the market district to avoid waking any humans.

MidKnight
03-23-2010, 08:01 PM

Eldora
03-23-2010, 10:32 PM
Noscales Village - Keldin's House

Falma bowed. "There is nothing to forgive. Thank you for coming." She then proceeded to explain Keldin's situation. "We were considering whether or not to try to go to Mistress Nessarya, but we don't even know where she has gone or when she will be back. All we can really do is hope that Yvanna fails her mission of killing the Teller. We dare not try to sabotage her. Our only other option would be to leave the city, and certainly then we would only be hunted down." She shook her head and put it in her hands as if she were trying to block out the world.

Suddenly it was as if she had ben shocked. Her head shot up and she stood as streight as if she were a soldier. Her eyes became wide and she began to curse under her breath. The book! So much had happened today that she had completely forgotten about the contraband book that she had been keeping, the one she had grabbed for when the Halfblood had raided her home. If he had told anyone, if anyone else had seen the book and known what it was...

"I am dead," she muttered almost incoherently, staring at the far wall in horror as if it had suddenly transformed into a halfling. She swallowed hard and continued to stare out at nothing. "I am as good as dead now."

Plains of Agmar

Aldaron ignored the cat on his head that was Andronochuss, though it annoyed him to have him on his head, at least the demon was being quiet now. He continued to walk until they came within sight of the town. He didn't approach it, though, but kept on going. He didn't want to leave tracks anywhere near it for curious eyes to follow.

He was well aware that if Andronochuss - he still refused to call him Andy even in his mind - could turn into a cat, he could just as easily turn into something that would get him to the castle faster. But he needed to walk. He had always walked. Walking toughened his muscles and made him ready to run if he ever found the need, which was often enough.

He decided he might take up the demon's offer of training, but not just yet. In the daytime, under the cover of trees perhaps where no wandering eyes could see them. Or perhaps later, when he returned to the mountains. But now he needed to go to Wygard, to see people he hadn't in far too long, to get supplies, and maybe, just maybe to learn some hint of where the Halfbloods had taken her sister all those years ago. If she was still alive. No, she was still alive. She had to be. He could not think of any other possibility.

Dirzrahel
03-24-2010, 12:30 AM
Wygard Castle

"General Wyndum, a Watcher has returned!"
"Send him in."

A being sat behind a broad, oaken desk. A myriad of maps were sprawled out in front of his vision, a shadow cast by his helmet. A fire roared in life behind his chair, bringing a warmth into the room that was somewhat unneeded. Unfortunately, Wyndum was not only adept at swordsmanship, but was adept at being cold as well. He was chilly wherever he went. Most likely caused by his fast-paced way of life. A Halfling of small stature came in, dragon feet instead of human feet, curved for long distance running and perpetual sitting. A bow was strapped to its back, and a telescope at its hip. Upon entering and standing in front of the table, it saluted, its eyes on attention to Wyndum.

"Report, Watcher." Wyndum acknowledged.

"Yes, General. The wolf that was chained in the Wood of Talimak has been released. A human released him after pricking his finger with a rock and looked to touch a strange symbol on the ground."

"What was this symbol?"

"I do not know, General. It was a circumscribed star with letters present in each arm of the star. The middle was filled with the wolf's fur, and then later, the human's blood."

"Where were they heading, Watcher?"

"They seemed to be heading toward Methevas land, General. But it seems their ultimate destination is Wygard Castle."

"Do you know why?"

"No, General. I was seen."

"By who, Watcher?"

"The wolf, General. It transformed into a human."

"That is all. Go back to the Woods of Talimak and continue your assignment. You shall be rewarded for your report."

The Watcher smiled while saluting once more, then turned around to exit. He took one step toward the door. Another step. Another. Then in such a sudden uproar, the Watcher's body glowed for a brief second, then vanished.

Wyndum could only stare. He said nothing, he thought nothing. Immediately, he left his study, and made way for the throne room to seek audience with the King.

Plains of Agmar

Andy yawned, his cat mouth wide open, as he reached his paw into his fur and somehow produced a small bag. He opened it with his claws nonchalantly, the bag sitting on his belly. He stuck a paw in and produced a small treat that was in the shape of pigeons and other birds alike.

"Mmmm cookie..." He said weakly and cutely, munching on the treat while curled up on Aldaron's head.

Wygard Castle - Throne Room

Wyndum walked into the throne room, approaching the throne by fifteen steps then going down on one knee; as if robotic by nature.

"Your Majesty, I apologize for my disturbance, but one of my Watchers has reported an incident that occurred in the Woods of Talimak, and then suddenly vanished from my study. Have you need of me to report this news, My King?"

MidKnight
03-24-2010, 12:44 AM
Noscales Village

Methevas tried his best to stay quiet through the district markets, though he has a hard time getting through without making loud thuds as he took each step. Several half bloods walked by him, they bowed their heads in his presence, as he bowed to them.

He stops for a moment to glare at the up coming moon, "It is quiet tonight." as he says looking to the moon, "The moon shines the night, with a glow that is so bright. May we glide with grace, with a slow and steady pace."

He bows his head to the moon, then raises his head up. He takes a deep breath, and continues on.

Woods of Talimak

A small group of humans in armor riding horses marched through the woods of Talimak, they're numbers were around 10. They were not transporting anything, but a mere patrol.

The man leading this group was their captain, his armor was a slight more different than the others, he was wearing gold shoulder armor plating and gold gauntlets. He carried a large broad sword, the hilt was gold as well.

"Halt." he orders as he raises his hand, "Sir, what is the matter?" one soldier asked. The captain looks around, examining his surroundings. "We will rest here for the night, set up a camp fire." He gets off the saddle and rests on a nearby stump.

His men were gathering wood for fire, he continued to look at the woods, the tall trees made it impossible to see through. The only noise he could hear was the sound of his men talking and gathering.

Somewhere in the deep dark woods, Daroka was watching, waiting for them to make a mistake.

Eldora
03-24-2010, 12:46 AM
Wygard Castle - Throne Room

Tulkalas rose from where he had been sitting. He had awoken from a nap only moments earlier, but he was still drowsy from his large meal. Though he had his own chambers, he often preferred to sleep in the throne room for whatever reason which he kept to himself. After stretching a moment he came forward and leaned his head down near eye-level with Wyndum.

"Greetings, General Wyndum. Yes, speak, for I have heard nothing of that area in some time. What news is it that is so important that you come to me with it yourself?" His voice was stern and authoritative, but also respectful. This Halfblood had proved his worth many times and so deserved the dragon king's attention. Besides, he knew only a fool would disturb him at this late hour without some very good excuse, and Wyndum was no fool.

Dirzrahel
03-24-2010, 01:07 AM
Wyndum nodded, his facial expression still constant, still serious in all regard. He knew what King Tulkalas thought of him.

"Yes, Your Majesty. In the Woods of Talimak there is a circle of six stone pillars with chains coming from these six pillars to the collar of a wolf of pure white color and two tails. This is have reported before when I sent out my first Watcher upon becoming General of your great army."

Wyndum stood from his knees, his face still in the same serious expression.

"My Watcher came to me exactly six minutes ago with a report concerning this wolf. He was released from his chains and now accompanies a human, this human being the one to release said wolf. The Watcher could not report to me the identity of this human, and for this failure, I will gladly end my life," Wyndum continued, his arm hitting his chest in salutation, "but according to the Watcher, the wolf transformed into a human. They were reported to be going through the Plains of Agmar, and their final destination being this castle." He finished, his thoughts were racing. He had no idea what to make of this report. He thought he sounded like a raving lunatic with this fantastical story.

"What is it you command me to do, My King?"

MidKnight
03-25-2010, 04:04 AM
Wygard Castle-Throne Room

Tulkalas pondered for a moment, thinking inside his head. Learning the news of the demon was released and now is accompanying a human. This was indeed bad news.

"General Wyndum, this is a solution that can be solved with no major problems, so I want you to send a small number of your best knights to find this wolf. Bring back to the woods of Talimak, and make sure that no one, I mean no one, unchains the wolf again. Find him, get a image from your watcher to identify this demon."

After making his orders, Tulkalas lies back deep within his chair, still feeling slumber in his eyes. He places a hand against his chin, "If you can't force this animal to go back, by all means, do what is necessary to take the filthy creature, as for the human, string'em for lashes, this will not go unpunished."

Mary Sue
03-25-2010, 05:47 PM
Glade saw Va' Yana's large, muscular body before he even rounded the corner. She was nestled in a tight alley with her muzzle near an opened door. Glade cocked his head to the side and crept around the dragon on silent feet until he came up on her right flank.
"Lady, Va' Yana," He cleared his throat and gave a stiff and quick bow to show her proper respect. However, his face was sternly set.
"Great Warrior, it is past the humans' curfew. Though you may be...fascinated with these creatures..." His violet eyes peered inside the small house. It was very plain and void of luxury items. Two humans - a man Glade knew as his mother's messenger, and a woman Glade was unfamiliar with - sat in chairs by a wooden table. He turned back to the dragon.
"The humans must rest, My Lady. I am by no means ordering you to dismiss but in the interest of Kyrval-" He paused and his nostrils flared as Glade inhaled. A powerful scent permiated the house. It was pungent and sour...the scent of fear. It practically rolled off of the humans' breath. He turned back to the house.
"Is something wrong, here?" He asked, suddenly suspicious. Now that he was thinking about it, the whole situation seemed off...

Dirzrahel
03-27-2010, 09:46 PM
Wyndum took two steps backwards, bowing.

"Yes, Your Majesty. I will send a strike force to deal with this problem. I will personally lead it to assure there are no mishaps."

The general turned and walked out of the throne room, the royal doors closing behind him like the jaws of hell. He felt something looking at him, as if over his shoulder, as he walked down the halls of the palace and went outside to the barracks. He called.

Immediately, knights came out and went to one knee, their hands in fists over their heart. They replied with earnest to Wyndum's call, their horses prepped, and their lances sharpened. Halflings all, Wyndum's personal strike team that dealt with affairs of the king. Wyndum leaped up onto his own steed, Bloodymare, a stallion of black with red mane hair. Bred magically and war being its only purpose. He looked behind him, eyes shielded by the visor of his helm.

"We ride!" He yelled, the sounds of fifteen galloping horses thundering the ground.

-------------------------

Andy shuffled in his sleep. His eye opened halfway to reveal he was no longer atop Aldaron's head, and was in fact, in the middle of the Plains of Agmar. Though a village was nearby. He didn't know what to make of it.

"Master has... has... has... ABANDONED ME!" He yelled in surprise, tears streaming down his feline cheeks. Almost as abruptly as he had cried, his face did an absolute reversal.

"FREEEEEE-DUM!" The cat jumped up into the air, quickly transforming back into Andy's human form. He snapped his fingers as if to a beat that was unheard by anyone. It was a fast beat, rhythm like the heartbeat of a hummingbird. He laughed, his white teeth flashing in open invitation.

It was the beat of galloping hooves.

MidKnight
03-28-2010, 10:59 PM
Woods of Talimak

The Captain leaned himself against the small stump, watching the fire crackle and the flames were low. He looked upon his men, they were drinking ale and eating a large bread, talking amongst themselves. One soldier gets up and looks at the Captain. "Sir, why are we all the out here? what are we pursuing? We know we are not on patrol."

The Captain sighs when he asked about that question, "I just got orders from my superior, he ordered us to come out here, and we have find anything unusual out here." Feeling uneasy, he orders one man to go out and have a look around. The soldier nods his head and picks up a torch from the fire and walks into the dark woods.

The soldier began to talk to each other again, the Captain lies against the stump once again. After what felt like a hour was only mere minutes, he heard a loud crack in the woods, he turns over and takes a look, he didn't see a glow in the woods. "Dilios!" The Captain shouts in the woods. No answer.

Rustle sound of wings were heard, and stops. "Dragon?" He asks out loud to the darkness, "Halfling?" he could not know if it was a dragon or a halfling, but he knows it wasn't human.

He unsheathes his sword, the rest of his men does as well, 4 men with spears and the rest with swords and shields. Ready for combat. The Captain heard a low growl, "Dragon, come out now!" he orders.

Instead of a Dragon, a body comes flying and landed next to the Captain. "Dilios." he was shocked to see the body. He looks back at the darkness. A scaly face was revealed, the Captain raises his sword. "Dragon, you just broke the peace among humans and Dragons. You will die here and now."

Daroka growls at the human, his sharp teeth showing, "Human, you are the that is about to die." Daroka charges at the humans. The Captain yell could heard for miles.