PDA

View Full Version : [M] Paper Flowers (OOC)

The Gypsy Queen
03-22-2010, 01:52 AM
Rated for nudity, sexual content, drug and alcohol use/reference, violence, gore, and disturbing content.

It starts with blackness. An empty, heavy lack of light... a lack of anything at all that oppresses, suffocating all sound and color. The sort of blackness where one might think that if they focused hard enough, they might hear something, see something beyond it... but just as they start to discern something the blackness swallows it up again.

In the blackness, a glint of something suddenly shines through. A door appears, as though it had always been there and had just never been noticed. A small silver key with an attached silver chain is in a keyhole in the doors center, with ornate, abstract wing patterns spreading from the keyhole. The door is huge, arching eight feet high and white as clouds on a sunny day.

A voice speaks through the darkness, utterly featureless.

" You have been dreaming. Wake up. Find the key and unlock the door to live."

The dream is over. The struggle has begun.

Welcome to the world of Paper Flowers. I hope for this RP to be an exercise that tests not only my limits as a writer, but that of the players as well. Before I get into the rules, I have a few things I want to address.

This is not a normal RP. Firstly, I don't anticipate it being very long, so please bear that in mind. Also, this is a character evolution study. The entire point of this RP is to watch how a character grows under extraordinary circumstances. And finally, this RP is competitive. That means that one character will "win."

Largely, your character will remember going to sleep like normal, and wakes up in a world that is, in essence, fake. The trees are made of cardboard. The hills have wheels and actually roll, and everywhere you go, there are paper flowers. You have only one chance to go home, and that is through the door. In order to get through the door, you need the key, which is hidden somewhere in the surrounding area.

How it works

Step 1 - Narrator post. I will post from a narrator perspective, providing clues on the location of the key and the door. I also will describe any situations that present themselves to some or all characters, which could include shifting of the area around them, monsters, or similar stuff. Most of the clues will be pretty eclectic, but everyone will have an easter egg for them.

Step 2 - You post. Players can post as many times at they want between Narrator posts. Because of the nature of this RP, I will take meta/power/god gaming very seriously. In your post, it is very important that you be clear on where your character is and where they move to and how long it takes them to do so (and please be realistic). Communication between players is very important as well.

Step 3 - The Key. If you think you know where the key is, check with me first. I will tell you if you are right or wrong but think carefully. If you say you go to a place to check and I tell you that you are wrong, i will expect to see your character in that place in the IC. If you don't, I will treat the situation as meta gaming and ask you to edit your post.

Step 4 - The Door. If you do find the key, you then need to locate the door. Characters may try to follow you or ambush you and take your key. I trust you guys to work that out between yourselves as to whether or not the key changes hands, and although I will mediate if necessary, I would prefer to see you guys working this out as adults.

Step 5 - Unlocking the Door. This is the last step. If your character makes it to the door with the key and unlocks it, you are done. End of the game. The other players will be allowed to continue to compete but you are out of the world. You may post in the OOC but I will ask you to refrain from giving hints.

The End of the Game. After every character has unlocked the door, the "winner" will be revealed.

The World

The world your characters find themselves in is ever shifting. I will describe the environment with my posts, and you are expected to adhere to that. Normal physics apply as well.

The Rules

1. I am god. Really. What I say goes. If you have a problem with a decision of mine I will be happy to discuss it in a civil manner with you, but please bear in mind that if I say something has to be a certain way, I have a very good reason, and I may not want to tell you what that is.

2. All of RPA's Regular and Mature Rules apply, and if you have questions, please go here (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32) to review them.

3. Your character will die. If you are not okay with that, don't join. Now, characters that are killed will be "respawned" when I post, so it's nothing to get uppity about really. If I kill your character, please don't take it personally. I will probably kill everyone at some point.

3. This is a character evolution study. I want to see characters develop, facing their inner demons, dealing with their issues. Characters that are not showing substantial growth will be less likely to get anywhere near the door with the key.

4. Because of the previous rule, I will want to see an advanced level of skill in role playing for this game. I will require a two paragraph minimum, and although I'm not really a stickler for this rule, I would advise adhering to it because of the required character growth.

5. Your character is a regular, normal human, from a regular, normal modern society. You cannot run up eight flights of stairs in two minutes, jump ten feet in the air, or know things you didn't see or weren't told. You know what a normal person knows, so unless you've got a background in it, you don't know how to shoot guns or swordfight or fly a plane and yes all of this is possible. Please bear that in mind.

6. Because of the nature of this RP, I take meta gaming, godmodding, and power gaming as very serious offenses and if I see something I think is fishy, I will question it. If I ask you to edit your post, please do not assume I'm picking on you or that I'm being unfair. I will do my best to be fair with everyone on this note, but let's just not even go there, okay?

7. Only one character per player, please.

8. Please wait two posts before posting again... it's really just polite. For example, if Player A posts, then Player B posts, Player A must wait for another player to post before posting again. Again, just good manners, really.

Character Sheet

Name: First and Last.

Appearance: Pictures are good but written descriptions are also acceptable. Due to the aesthetic I am aiming for with this RP, I will not accept any anime or dolls.

Profession: Pretty much whatever you want, but please be varied.

Background: The more detailed, the better. Your character must have one traumatic event in their backstory. You can choose to keep their background secret but it must be pmed to me before I will accept your character.

The Gypsy Queen
03-22-2010, 01:52 AM
Name: Ivy (last name unknown)

Appearance: http://i818.photobucket.com/albums/zz102/Jezzy666/1253866441nCURFsp.jpg

Profession: Unknown

Background: To be revealed.

John
03-22-2010, 01:53 AM
Name: Sabrina Foster

Appearance: http://pixdaus.com/small3/1213215480MTfPV3c.jpeg (http://pixdaus.com/single.php?id=51984&from=forum)

Profession: Bartender

Background: Sabrina was born into a middle class family in Toronto. Her father worked in a garage and her mother stayed at home. Sabrina did well in school and it was thought that she would have a bright future ahead of her. Her father worked long hours, and Sabrina didn’t get to see him much, but the time they did get together was precious. When he was around, she was daddy’s little girl.

When she was sixteen, there was a fire in her house. Sabrina’s mother was killed in the fire and Sabrina was badly burned. Plastic surgery took away most of the scars, but she still has a very noticeable patch on her lower back that wraps around her stomach. Sabrina became very self conscious and wouldn’t get into relationships.

Sabrina lived with her father, who spent most of his time now staring into the bottom of bottle. He rarely paid any attention to Sabrina and became withdrawn form the world. He still worked and provided a home for Sabrina, but he became emotionally distant due to the loss of his wife.

Although Sabrina was incredibly beautiful, she was extremely shy because of her scars. And although she could have easily have had a boyfriend, she opted to stay single. Sabrina would never got pools and always made sure that she would be properly covered at all times.

When she was twenty, she dropped out of college and got a job working as a bartender. Still incredibly shy and self conscious, and quickly learning that flirting helps when you are a bartender, Sabrina started to use cocaine. She quickly moved into the party lifestyle, becoming snow-blind to the world.

Sabrina still lives in Toronto, working at one of the more successful nightclubs in the city. She has a lot of friends and still doesn’t get into relationships. She sells cocaine to help support her habit.

Auki
03-22-2010, 07:35 PM
Hey there; If you're in need of players, remember to apply to Roleplay of the Week (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=905) to gain some more exposure.

The Gypsy Queen
03-27-2010, 09:46 PM
Naz: Character accepted of course.

Auki, thanks for reminding me, hun. :D

Mysteria
03-28-2010, 08:46 PM
This game has been featured as this weeks Roleplay of the Week! (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?p=179421#post179421)

Pyro
03-30-2010, 04:20 AM
This sounds absolutely amazing and well thought out. Unfortunately I would have to look at it again at another time and spend a little while longer making up a character for it is rather late right now and I am very lost in the bush, one might say. I am interested though.

The Gypsy Queen
03-30-2010, 04:33 AM
Great! I look forward to seeing a sheet from you. :D

Pyro
04-03-2010, 08:13 AM
Name: Oz Devlin

Appearance: http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/5979/m1827200610251161773184ah8.jpg

Profession: College student, part-time waiter

Background: Oz has always been a bit of a pushover. He never made friends easily and the few friends he had treated him like a doormat. He never complains if things don't go his way (which most of the time they don't) and if someone wants him to do something for them, chances are he'll do it. In junior high, Oz met a boy named Ken Sturgess. Ken was everything Oz wasn't...bold, loud, outgoing, popular...Oz practically worshiped him. Ken only hung around with him because he realized Oz was something he wasn't: smart. He used him every chance he got to better his own appearance. Oz didn't realize this. He went through life moderately happy, grateful that he had such a popular friend who took him places he'd never get invited any other way, appreciated his intelligence. He wasn't offended when Ken insulted him or made fun of him in public. He simply dismissed it as "That's how he is." By high school Oz had bailed Ken out of just about every spot of trouble the cockier boy had gotten himself into. He was always there for him...even when Ken started going further downhill to the point where he would physically hurt Oz. But like a motherless puppy Oz kept coming back to him, eager to please. Ken seemed to enjoy having a personal, for lack of a better word, bitch and began asking Oz to do things the shier boy would never have thought to do on his own. Things like steal, hide drugs, the works. But when he finally declined illegally getting Ken a scholarship into the same high level college as himself, Ken snapped. What were minor bruises and scrapes before quickly and abruptly turned into a massive beating, leaving Oz with several broken bones, a concussion, and a deep cut on his abdomen from the way he was thrown. This later became a large scar that instead of reminding him to not trust others so easily, tells him to keep his mouth shut and do what he is told. He still followed Ken after returning from a brief hospitalization despite what had happened and all the blows dealt afterward. Freedom was in college. Oz had to move out of state, leaving Ken behind. He lost contact with the other man but still thinks of him as a friend.