PDA

View Full Version : WAGE INTERSTELLAR WAR!!

:| Undying |:
03-27-2010, 11:26 PM
http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq270/EmberFive/th_100327.png (http://s454.photobucket.com/albums/qq270/EmberFive/?action=view&current=100327.png)

The gaming style for this RPG is simple. Become sovereign of an available faction, or invent your own, and shape it's future in the interstellar community. Players can create whatever scenario they like, such as an invasion of other territories, expansion of existing boundaries or formation of an international alliance, and I will update the map at a regular interval.

Shown on the map are territorial boundaries and major industrial/economic/social centres that stand out from the mass of worlds in each civilisation. Large circles indicate that the planet is the political capital of it's associated nation, or is otherwise the best of the best among worlds. Some nations lack a capital planet, indicating that it has either recently lost it and has been sent into anarchy/surrender, or is not sophisticated enough to possess one.

The golden rule is sensibility. If, for example, a conflict is fought between unequal opponents, the opponent with the smallest territory/least number of major planets is most likely to be defeated, and a nation cannot rapidly expand it's borders due to the time needed to colonise and/or terraform all those new planets. If a storyline aspect means that someone absconds with a colossal fortune and can steamroll activities, or gains control of a super-powered military, or is the recipient of a similar phenomenon, then these rules can be warped, but such occurences should not happen lightly.

Since the Mechar'Uon Remnants and the Icarus Resistance are not stable civilisations, and the Serpentar Imperium can overpower most nations, I will be playing them as docile A.I.

Have fun!

Sigma
03-28-2010, 12:51 AM
I have quiet the experiance in these types of rps. I would gladly join in.

I'll pick the Sept Cabal. I've got some interesting characters and units for them. by the way, are there alien races or just humans

03-28-2010, 09:07 AM
by the way, are there alien races or just humans
Each is whatever you dictate.

I'll put you in as the Sept Cabal.

L
03-28-2010, 10:50 AM
I'll be interested too if that's ok - is there any other information/game rules we need to be aware of?

I'll go with the Damascus League

03-28-2010, 03:30 PM
There are no other rules, and you're in as the Damascus League.

As of now, you don't need to ask to take a faction, unless that faction is already taken.

Sigma
03-28-2010, 07:07 PM
So how many players do you need to set up a IC thread?

03-28-2010, 08:40 PM
Well, ideally, every faction needs to be taken.

Sigma
03-28-2010, 09:38 PM
I see. I try to find anyone that maybe interested.

mcstringer
03-28-2010, 10:12 PM
I like being characters asnd not Rps with this huge of a scope. Thanks Sigma for refering me, but.... I am also in alot of Rps. I need to study for college tests coming. Good Rp set up, but not my cup of tea.

Sigma
03-28-2010, 10:55 PM
It's alright. worth a try.

L
03-30-2010, 11:18 AM
Maybe we can start with what we have and allow others to take up roles during the game? With 5 factions taken, that should be enough to get the ball rolling at least.

But I'll leave that up to you :)

03-30-2010, 07:13 PM
You don't need to fear my retribution if you don't put a smily at the end of each request.-peace-

Anyway, I think that's a great idea. I'll post up the IC at some point, but I might not, so you're free to post it yourself and make up the opening post if you wish.

MikeZZZ
03-31-2010, 12:13 AM
I'll try this, completely new to it though, I'll take Dark Ninja's if that's okay, and mabey someone can PM the details about playing this type?!.

Sigma
03-31-2010, 12:33 AM
Awseome! you could ask either of us what you need help in. and I'll give you some info on how to play these types of rps.

L
03-31-2010, 08:48 AM
I've played a few like this as well, so if you need any help Zelli, feel free to ask.

03-31-2010, 03:28 PM
http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3388

Atrum Daemon
03-31-2010, 04:20 PM
Okay. I finally got a free moment to take a look at this (props to Sigma for bringing it to my attention) and I will be joining in on what looks like a promising bit of fun.

If there are no objections, I'll take the Synat Federation.

Sigma
03-31-2010, 06:36 PM
Cool! good to have you join with us.

L
04-02-2010, 10:40 AM
Just for reference, here's a list of a few major characters from the Damascus League. I'll edit it when needed:

Damascus League Council:
Councilor Daniel Payn
Councilor Piotr Radev
Councilor Nicole Acerbi
Councilor Andreas Carter
Councilor Keira Samson

Commander of the Damascus League Military Forces:
Commander Stephen Baldi

DLMF Personnel:
Colonel Brian Cossey - Unit TBA

High Priest of the Collected Ministry:
Alexis Farkas

MikeZZZ
04-02-2010, 10:53 AM
ok, I think I get how to play, talked to Sigma and he explained. :) can't wait to start.

Sigma
04-03-2010, 02:18 AM
Well it has started. so you can post. me and brett started.

L
04-03-2010, 04:31 AM
Yup - and it looks like it's going to get nasty quickly :)

If you want to join in our little... skirmishes... give me or Sigma a yell. Damascus is playing a "anti-alien" faction, so you could help us rid the universe of them, or help the Cabal teach us a lesson.

L
04-04-2010, 08:20 AM
Just a thought, but maybe we could make another OOC post for the game and each person has a thread where they can list and characters, ranks and military craft etc (including links to pictures etc)
It would be an easy reference if you needed to include that certain name in your post and wouldn't have to (potentially) sift through a lot information.

Would you guys use something like that?

Sigma
04-04-2010, 11:04 AM
It would be alot easier and lift up the stress of provide info as I post, so yes, I would differentially.

MikeZZZ
04-04-2010, 09:17 PM
I would use something like that brett.....

04-04-2010, 09:32 PM
You can create as many threads as you like, but I'm focusing on the IC thread.

Atrum Daemon
04-05-2010, 12:15 AM
Just to be clear: The Synat Federation is doing nothing at the moment to either help or hinder the situation. They've just acknowledged that something could happen at the time of my post.

Sigma
04-05-2010, 12:49 AM
We were planning in brining you in somehow. but yes, could you edit that a bit zelli?

L
04-05-2010, 03:07 AM
No worries Undying, I'll post something up now

MikeZZZ
04-05-2010, 08:42 AM
oops, will fix now...

L
04-07-2010, 02:20 PM
Undying, could you do me a favor and add Iukk XI to the map for the DL - I was thinking *on the new map* that it would be in the little corner above the first 's' in Damascus, and the Gaska system would be just to the left and down of the DL border on that really bright star - but not as a part of the DL, just an independent star.

Loving the new map by the way - great work.

04-07-2010, 04:02 PM
Adding them depends on how important they are as economic or social cores. If they are backwaters, I can't add them. Alternatively, I can show planets based on how important they are to the story.

L
04-07-2010, 04:12 PM
No worries. Iukk's not really a problem, though Gaska if that's ok - I don't want to give too much away with my plans, but it'll play a big part of my story, and eventually be a part of the DL, just not yet.

04-07-2010, 05:46 PM
http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq270/EmberFive/Stained%20Galaxy%20RPN/th_100406-1.png (http://s454.photobucket.com/albums/qq270/EmberFive/Stained%20Galaxy%20RPN/?action=view&current=100406-1.png)

L
04-08-2010, 04:01 AM
Awesome, thanks Undying, much appreciated!

Atrum Daemon
04-09-2010, 02:36 AM
I am still hanging about. Just waiting for the right moment.

L
04-10-2010, 07:22 AM
This is fun :) I right old three ring circus.

I'm going to post momentarily, just need to polish off a few more things.

MikeZZZ
04-10-2010, 07:32 AM
cool, sounds good to me....can't wait for battle results.

Crypes
04-15-2010, 09:48 PM
Huh, I'd love to join, but at the moment, I don't really see where I'd fit in to this.

If someone would help break me in however....

Sigma
04-15-2010, 09:53 PM
Don't worry, we'll try to pull you in somehow.

Currently, a War is between to begin between me and brett. if you want, you could pick a nearby faction to get a bit of the action or start your own conflict elsewhere.

Crypes
04-15-2010, 10:07 PM
Well, it looks like the Ninja Shogunate hasn't been taken. So I think I'll take that faction if no objections are heard. Though I would prefer a territory that offers more potential for dakka, if you get my meaning.

"It needs moah DAKKA!"

04-15-2010, 10:25 PM
Just point out what you want on the map and I'll hand it over, provided it's not already taken.

04-15-2010, 10:27 PM
Here's my record of who owns what at this time, which should help with choosing.

-- SERPENTAR IMPERIUM --
The Undying
-- ICARUS RESISTANCE --
[A.I.]
-- MECHAR'UON REMNANTS --
[A.I.]
-- SYNAT FEDERATION --
Atrum Daemon
-- FLAMING NINJA SHOGUNATE --
zelli
-- DARK NINJAS --
zelli
-- SIRONAVA LEAGUE --
-- SEPT CABAL --
Sigma
-- PROCYON LEAGUE --
-- DAMASCUS LEAGUE --
Brett
-- STAR REPUBLIC OF CYGNI --
-- PIRATE CABAL OF TORTUGA --
-- DUKEDOM OF RISA --
-- KINGDOM OF ANDRIAX --
-- KINGDOM OF KARRIZHHAIL --
-- LAZULI KINGDOM --
-- LAPIS DUKEDOM --
-- DYASAN KINGDOM --
-- RAVINNA KINGDOM --
-- COMMUNIST SUGAR PUFFS --
-- TERRIFYING FURBY FLUKEDOM OF DOOM --
-- GREMLIN STARS --

Crypes
04-15-2010, 10:37 PM
Ooh, I'll actually go with the pirates. Yes, pirates!

04-15-2010, 10:40 PM
How ironic... alright, you're in.

L
04-16-2010, 07:37 AM
Excellent - welcome to the game Crypes :)

Undying - out of curiosity, what program do you use for your maps? I had Campaign Cartographer with all the addons a long time ago, but couldn't really design nice maps with it (plus the price means I couldn't get the new one)..... and AstroSynthesis is very... in depth

04-16-2010, 12:27 PM
I use 2D Design V2 given to me from my local college. ;)

That AstroSynthesis looks good...

L
04-16-2010, 01:00 PM
Oh, don't get me wrong - AS is FANTASTIC and creates some amazing stuff. It just takes a long time to get everything right and realistic.
It's definitely worth the try though, it's great

04-16-2010, 02:44 PM
Got it for free from ThePirateBay. Pretty cool, but like you said it's going to take a while to create each body individually.

MikeZZZ
04-20-2010, 07:37 PM
EVERYONE<<<< I took the Sabre over, it's not headed toward the planet, that's the Damascus ship that I took and warped out.......

Torcano
05-10-2010, 05:20 PM
Is it still possible to join this?

05-10-2010, 09:12 PM
YES. JUST SIGN THE CONTRACT IN BLOOD.

Sigma
05-10-2010, 09:25 PM
Sorry I didn't post in a while. I'll have one up soon.

MikeZZZ
05-10-2010, 09:59 PM
(party) the thread is alive again....HEHE....BOW to the Ninja fleet.

Torcano
05-11-2010, 08:05 PM
I'll take the Star Republic of Cygni.

I just have a question, is this based on an IP of some sort? It seems like other people know about the different factions and the setting, but I can find no info on it anywhere here.

Or is everyone just making their own stuff up as they go along?

Oh yeah, and are the names for the nations set in stone (since map is already made and everything). I just already have some whole "sci-fi" empires that I've used in other RPs that I'd prefer to use the name of.

Sigma
05-11-2010, 08:12 PM
Ya we make it up as we go along. as for the name, you'll have to ask for Undying 's permission if you can have a name change.

Torcano
05-11-2010, 08:20 PM
Well the initial post mentions that you "become sovereign of an available faction, or invent your own". And it would make a world of difference to choose my faction's name ;)

Oh ya I also have a suggestion for Undying, that being to update the first post in this thread with all the new information. It took me reading 2-3 threads to find out which factions were available, and it was on like the 4th page you find out the original map is outdated and there is a new one with new factions.

Sigma
05-11-2010, 08:27 PM
In that case, just ask Undying for your own faction.

05-11-2010, 09:15 PM
The new map is now active. And yes, you can rename nations, much to the anger of the commoners.

MikeZZZ
05-12-2010, 01:51 AM
so people start posting.....My Ninja's have a schedule ya know :p and a new ship >:)

Torcano
05-13-2010, 03:07 PM
Fantastic.

I'll take the Lazuli Kingdom and rename it the Krytan Empire.

Now this is just greedy but I can't resist....what about planets? Haha. Not so important but no harm in asking right? ;)

Anyways, I'm going to get my info up on the relevant thread asap (work-permitting) so I can get started actually RPing.

Sigma
05-13-2010, 04:04 PM
Finally posted!

05-13-2010, 06:46 PM
Now this is just greedy but I can't resist....what about planets? Haha. Not so important but no harm in asking right?
Are you refering to major planets?

Torcano
05-17-2010, 03:47 PM
Oh you mean that the ones on the map are major planets and in fact there are others (that we make up)? Thats great actually no need to change anything!

05-17-2010, 04:37 PM
Yep. By major planet, I'm refering only to economic and social powerhouses, so anything else is not notable enough to be displayed.

Shifty
05-20-2010, 09:32 PM
Anything that has to do with science fiction, alien races and warfare catches my attention. If possible, i would like to take the Ravinna Mepire, but rename it the Mik'Raash Empire. Merci beaucoup. :)

05-21-2010, 09:57 AM
Done.

Mr.Handsome
05-21-2010, 01:37 PM
I would like to take command of the Sironava League and rename it the Kolabora League, if I may be so bold.
If it is at all possible I would like Siro renamed Domesa III and (again, if it is at all possible) a second mentionable planet at the right in the middle above the "r" named Ore II.

05-21-2010, 02:18 PM
Done. I can't add another major planet for balancing purposes, but I can rename Laplance.

Mr.Handsome
05-21-2010, 02:26 PM
Okay, alright. I can adapt to that.

MikeZZZ
05-21-2010, 08:16 PM
lol join my RP shifty, Star Trek is Scifi, and i got borg > : )

05-22-2010, 04:38 PM
I'm fine with a few adverts on my thread, so long as they don't crop up regularly. :)

Torcano
05-26-2010, 03:58 PM
Done. I can't add another major planet for balancing purposes, but I can rename Laplance.

What balancing? Do planets have any actual gameplay value? IF they do then you should put that in the introduction to game ;)

Anyways, I sort of got the impression this was the case so I picked a nation with 5 major planets, 1 less than the Serpentar Imperium :)

05-26-2010, 05:30 PM
Do planets have any actual gameplay value?
They give a rough idea of the wealth of a nation in trade, and martial power. The size of a nation is an indicator of how long they can prolong warfare.

Torcano
05-27-2010, 03:24 PM
Oh ok thank you, I get it now. I was starting to think this RP might have some sort of "war" simulation aspect, with numbers and dice-rolling (or something).

Anyways there was one thing I wanted to ask you about Undying. How do you think I could start integrating the Krytan Empire into the action? Well actually if anyone has an idea that would be great! Perhaps said person might be the one I first RP with ;)

Sigma
05-27-2010, 07:14 PM
Sure I'll help you out.

Torcano
05-27-2010, 08:11 PM
Thanks Sigma that is much appreciated, I didn't want to just barge in and expect people to adapt without warning.

I deliberately didn't note where my fleet was located, so if you let me know an area you have a fleet at, or perhaps a planet where I might encounter your forces then I can make a new post locating my fleet there or near there.

My initial backstory is that a large diplomatic fleet contained numerous diplomats, envoys, and ambassadors from the lowest to highest ranks. This fleet is composed of a Tactical Legion (basically a battle group with mix of ships, with accompanying ground troops and marines permanently stationed on board) and dedicated diplomatic vessels. With them is a large war fleet led by a Marshal Haeltes, containing tens of Legions.

The mission is to venture beyond our tight borders and change our isolationist stance. They are to travel outwards from our systems and engage in relations with any encountered civilizations. The war ships are meant purely for protection and there are many diplomatic ships designed deliberately without arnaments so as to be trusted. Warfare will be engaged in only when met with hostility and open attack. The operating protocol is to defend and make a tactical retreat if the diplomatic vessels are at all threatened.

Unbeknown to the vast majority of those with the fleets is the mission's secret ulterior motive. Very high ranking envoys and military figures are secret either deep-cover agents of the Empire military intelligence and state intelligence agencies, and they are not only to engage in espionage but to contact agents already in the field.

(although I don't know their destinations yet, they of course do)

These agents are spread throughout the nations that are to be met diplomatically. They are placed in varied areas, and are all in very deep-cover. They were trained from a young age and genetically engineered specifically for their roles, then inserted with the utmost care and precision. Most have been in their covers for over 5 years without any contact. The mission is to reach them with a pre-arranged coded signal, then meet and either retrieve them or their information.

--

So, sorry for the WoT right off the bat ;) But I was thinking that a scout or outpost or something from your forces might find us. I don't know maybe your nation might send a border patrol fleet or something to find out who we were and stop us?

Or if you have any ideas that'd be great too.

05-27-2010, 08:36 PM
Anyways there was one thing I wanted to ask you about Undying. How do you think I could start integrating the Krytan Empire into the action? Well actually if anyone has an idea that would be great! Perhaps said person might be the one I first RP with
I was thinking about totally overhauling the Serpentar Imperium, and one of the new concepts could be good for introducing you. I'll be posting my overhaul in the Info Terminal.

So, sorry for the WoT right off the bat
Oh no, it's absolutely fine. Post in whatever way you want.

Sickly
05-30-2010, 03:57 PM
generally im not attracted to complex RP's but this is different somehow......

can i create a new faction?
and if so what do i need to do when creating a new one

05-30-2010, 07:13 PM
can i create a new faction?
I'd strongly advise you take one of the existing factions and reform it, for balancing purposes.

and if so what do i need to do when creating a new one
Give commands to your underlings. You can ask to have anything renamed.

Sickly
05-31-2010, 02:30 AM
i was thinking of making a colony ship that houses a very small group of mercenaries who excell at sabotage in space and we're hired by the highest bidder in order to take down single ships in secret without big battles

05-31-2010, 08:38 AM
That's fine.

spirits breath
05-31-2010, 01:18 PM
hey, would I be able to join this? zelli has convinced me to join this, and so I am going to see if indeed I can.

and if I can, well I can just make my traveling fleet, as the whole planet thing. (a small forest in the ships. they will be odd alien things that will have a medical ship. heavily sheilded, held in the frigate and well. be like America is in wars to make allies and indirectly buying immunities from some factions. well it isn't like that, but hey blow up your med bay, and someones going to have to start helping your people.)

05-31-2010, 01:35 PM
I'm pretty much going to say yes to everyone.

Torcano
05-31-2010, 01:55 PM
That would be great Undying.

@Saga

That one-ship mercenary idea is really cool, however personally I'd say this wouldn't be the RP for that. I don't see how one ship will impact these massive empires. Each of us could have a 400 ships exactly like yours.

But, I really like the idea and had thought of starting an RP like that. If you are interested I would probably start that up, with your input. We would all be on the same ship (in my idea). Like the crew of Firefly.

05-31-2010, 02:04 PM
A band of mercenaries could potentially make a difference, if placed in the right locations.

Sickly
05-31-2010, 02:11 PM
A band of mercenaries could potentially make a difference, if placed in the right locations.

@Saga

That one-ship mercenary idea is really cool, however personally I'd say this wouldn't be the RP for that. I don't see how one ship will impact these massive empires. Each of us could have a 400 ships exactly like yours.

But, I really like the idea and had thought of starting an RP like that. If you are interested I would probably start that up, with your input. We would all be on the same ship (in my idea). Like the crew of Firefly.

see thats the point of having a small elite "factionless" merc group you can get the surprise on an enemy without declaring war outright

of course you have to take into account that mercs are only loyal to the highest bidder its essential to be the highest bidder at all times

Sickly
05-31-2010, 05:54 PM
so how do i create this group what do i need to write down
like ship type etc.

05-31-2010, 07:04 PM
Whatever you feel you need to write down. There are no requirements I can think of.

spirits breath
05-31-2010, 10:18 PM
Alright, my rather small fleet of massive ships and new age sheilding. (like more than likely a new model that had been created new age) and weaponry that can be imposing to even large fleets. though I also have a whole ship for medical and technological areas. hence why sheilds and weapons are newer and specialized. But hey, we can work out some treaty, you need medical suplies at some point, as well as medical care. Though the ship isn't an easy target, get that right and well not worth trying to be that jerk and put in a disease your species will die from.
Now just figuring out if it is all good for my ships and then to the IC. (beleive ships are alright.)

Torcano
06-01-2010, 08:22 PM
My point is that for example, my Empire has a whole division of the armed forces that is purely units like yours. So while your one ship might make a difference, its nothing to what a hundred thousand such ships could do.

Just my opinion, and also the fact that I'd like to do an RP just like that ;)

06-01-2010, 09:17 PM
Torcano, a hundred thousand guirella ships would be a bit heavy, wouldn't it? A large percentage of a fleet needs to be run-of-the-mill, else the fleet would be unable to fight regular battles.

spirits breath
06-01-2010, 11:17 PM
hey undying, am I all good to post? I am kind of assuming my fleet is up and good to go. though I have my first post somewhat planned out now. so maybe tomorrow I can begin mobilizing.

06-02-2010, 07:44 AM
You can start at any time.

Torcano
06-02-2010, 07:51 PM
Perhaps 100,000 would be excessive in our modern world..but for a galactic empire spanning entire star-systems and encompassing over a hundred worlds? With hundreds of billions of citizens?

A rough estimate puts the total number of active vessels in the Krytan Legions at 120 million. Of course being spread over many light-years, in one sector there will be only hundreds of vessels at any given time.

I never meant that 100,000 guerilla ships would be in one force, let alone within light-years of one another. And perhaps 100,000 is even excessive considering this would be a super-elite unit. But at the very least there would be tens of thousands.

Now in one campaign or war such a unit might be a semi-decisive factor. And now looking at it this might be enough for an RP like this. But its hard to imagine such a small action could ever truly impact an empire. The only scenario I can imagine would be a vital leader being assassinated. The ancient and timeless Krytan Empire would never allow such a highly placed personage to leave their fortified palace.

Anyway, I really don't mean to be a troll or anything like that; I honestly just questioned whether a separate RP might be better. Now looking at it I can see the place for such a ship actually after all!

spirits breath
06-02-2010, 09:28 PM
Got some insane traning program then, to have elite soldiers in that amount of numbers. Though it could be a problem then as well for negotiations.

But yeah I got my first post up. Moving into Dark Ninja Territory now. And lets just say he is a admiral for a reason, and that he would be an easy target to get anyways. You and your invisible people. (some pretty ambitious parents I must add) But yeah not sure how to determine sheild strength, but knowing Zelli, there will be some problems for both of us either way. just have to remember where you are at to determine how long I can linger into your territory.

06-02-2010, 10:03 PM
Torcano, the figures you're giving are just way too big. 120 million ships?? No interstellar nation will ever have the industry or wealth to build and maintain figures in the order of millions.

For comparison, I estimate the Kolabora League commands 100s of military vessels. A navy of that size is a competent force.

a hundred worlds?
I estimate 500 or more, in the case of the Star Republic of Cygni. 400 stars approx. per grid square on the newest map. But only a certain percentage of these planets can be inhabited at any one time.

MikeZZZ
06-02-2010, 10:04 PM
why so serious :p jk,
As long as you are an ally you are welcome in my territory, however I do have more than one fleet hehe, just only one captain of consequence right now. I'll send ya the info link where you can post ship stats in a minute.

MikeZZZ
06-02-2010, 10:09 PM
http://www.role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3436

thats the link for the info on ships and stuff kyle, take a look and post there lol

spirits breath
06-02-2010, 10:34 PM
you certainly are observant mate. I am the last post of that forum... but then again with your comp, I dont blame you.

and well you are being sudden. ally good. but trust is a different thing. invisible people makes negotiation hard to do when one may stab you... or hold you ransome.

Torcano
06-03-2010, 07:19 PM
If you take notice, I actually said "over a hundred planets" as I had no idea what you arbitrarily decided the map really contained.

Now on to the major mistakes you've made.

Firstly, for you to contend that you can predict how many ships ANY star empire would have is entirely ridiculous. There has never been one, so how could you possibly ascertain whether or not it could support ANY number of anything. How could you predict what resources, materials, and innovations might exist thousands of years in the future?

Its not even that though. This isn't even our world 20000 years in the future. Its a completely made up setting that has no real boundaries.

Now on to how you really have no idea what you are talking about. It is more than clear that you pulled the "100s of vessels" out of your ass.

To be clear, I in fact did some *math*. The key aspect of any statistical figure is not the figure itself but the math that makes it relevant. Anyone can toss a number like "100s" out there. But actually having any evidence or reason for that number is a big difference.

So, I'll quickly summarize how I got that number. A quick google search turns up the figure of 284 ships in the U.S. Navy. Now, what I think you have failed to think of is the fact that this isn't one country on one planet.

This is an empire spanning HUNDREDS of such planets, each with MANY TIMES the population of said planet. So I calculated the ratio of ships to population for said country, then determined the rough number of ships for the "whole planet"'s population. I then determined the average number of citizens per planet on my empire, and from there figured out the ships/planet based on the earlier value.

Basically, the end result showed somewhere in the neighborhood of ~170 mill if I remember correctly. However, I decided this number may have been inflated by the fact the U.S. Navy is probably the largest per capita in the world. Even though I wanted my Empire to be similarly military-focused, I toned it down to 120 mil.

Oh and I took the Lazuli Kingdom, not Cygni. And changed it to Krytan Empire.

Anyway moving on. If you really can't comprehend figures this big, I get it. But there are TONS of examples in fiction of empires this big. Most notably, Warhammer 40k. Check it out.

Also, the figure of 100s of ships to defend a galactic nation is utterly unfeasible. If 100s are needed to defend single nations on earth, how the hell could that same number defend even one planet? Let alone an empire with hundreds?

You should really consider exactly how much territory that really is, and rather than similar size navy to modern ones you'd need an exponentially larger one.

---

Basically, my point is that you are in no position to question how many ships or anything my Empire has. I have done the math, the research, and I know its both possible and realistic. If you disagree due to whatever reason, thats fine. Don't make your nation similar then. But to say I can't make my empire as realistic as possible is completely unfair.

spirits breath
06-03-2010, 07:34 PM
I can see where your getting at. I went on a small and large ship thing.

Not exactly sure what yours is as off the top of my head it is large amount, small ship. Though navy ships are massive. I have not done the math in my head as i am no fan of doing math for little reason. But having several planets to defend, and the whole scope of defending it, a large setup is needed.

Though can't go against people being born on the ships. Can't rule those numbers out.
(maybe a few planets of a empire aren't inhabitable but are rich in resources. Think mass effect 2 mining. But that is a large population to protect. So several ships would always be patroling.)

Reminds me. I did no planning on empire size of my army. (meh screw size. planets and such are just numbers. and trees. Least I can safely make a fire on my ships. got trees in them)

06-03-2010, 09:39 PM
Now on to how you really have no idea what you are talking about. It is more than clear that you pulled the "100s of vessels" out of your ass.
Why would you use that language on someone?

This is an empire spanning HUNDREDS of such planets, each with MANY TIMES the population of said planet. So I calculated the ratio of ships to population for said country, then determined the rough number of ships for the "whole planet"'s population. I then determined the average number of citizens per planet on my empire, and from there figured out the ships/planet based on the earlier value.
The diaspora of people from your homeworld would send out ships containing thousands or millions of people. Most people would still be tied to the homeworld.

Many worlds will be simple colonies that have limited contribution to ship production if at all, and many more worlds will be outposts that have no direct impact on ship production. Their resources can be sent to major planets (not all shown on map) which powerhouse ship production.

Anyway moving on. If you really can't comprehend figures this big, I get it. But there are TONS of examples in fiction of empires this big. Most notably, Warhammer 40k. Check it out.
Yes I can + they'd have to be galaxy-spanning + I know about WH40K. The Imperium of Man is much bigger than any of the nations in this RPG.

Also, the figure of 100s of ships to defend a galactic nation is utterly unfeasible. If 100s are needed to defend single nations on earth, how the hell could that same number defend even one planet? Let alone an empire with hundreds?
You won't need to be omnipresent. The ships you have already can be dispatched to handle insurrection or patrol a particular area of instability, and their quantity will increase significantly during total war. Also, consider how a change in ship size would affect the quantity needed.

Oh and I took the Lazuli Kingdom, not Cygni. And changed it to Krytan Empire.
My bad. I shall escort myself to the torture chamber.

Basically, my point is that you are in no position to question how many ships or anything my Empire has.
Torcano, join the Saiv and we can rule the galaxy together even if you believe my theory the outcome is still the same. You will have a competent navy, and there will be no handicaps to your naval activity as posted in the IC.

Torcano
06-07-2010, 05:51 PM
Firstly, I'm about the harsh tone and all, to be honest I have been going through a lot recently in my personal life, with some really huge changes and issues currently. I didn't use any words I'd consider cursing, but in hindsight my tone was clearly combative and my apologies for that.

Moving on, it really doesn't matter about the precise number of ships or planets. It's an RP and requires no statistics or hard facts on these empires, as "wars" aren't decided by any statistical means. It comes down to telling a good story.

But I do understand that for "balance"'s sake its better that nations are of a comparable size, and since you have established the standard thats fine. I will alter the estimates of size/ship strength for Kryta to much smaller numbers.

To clarify, my idea was that we have terraforming tech that allows almost any planet to be hospitable. Due to this there are a large number of inhabited and populated planets. In addition there would be colonies established on planets or moons that had important resources but for whatever reason were impossible to terraform.

I'll still use this, but make the process much slower and less pervasive.

I would like to ask if perhaps 100s of ships could be changed to thousands at least but ideally 10s or 100s of thousands. It is fair to assume each planet that is actually inhabited, or even each "sector" of colonies would require a fleet totaling 100s of ships at least to protect.

Let me explain...to protects numerous settlements or outposts spread across a planet, you simply would need at least 100s of ships to stop even the smallest attack. Without knowing where the enemy will appear from or strike, you would have to at least have some sort of force covering a massive area. Even with warships having a large "range of attack", this could not be done without 100s of ships.

If the U.S. Navy has close to 300 warships alone, clearly 100s at least are necessary to patrol and protect a planet's water bodies. Now factor in that the area that to measure the area being patrolled would really be derived from the circumference of the atmosphere, which is much larger than just the surface. (Since you would be patrolling outside the atmosphere that is)

So I hope you could see to this compromise, just for my fluff, but its cool either way. As you say none of it really factors in the IC directly anyway. Look forward to some cool RPing with everyone. :D

06-07-2010, 08:16 PM
Firstly, I'm about the harsh tone and all, to be honest I have been going through a lot recently in my personal life, with some really huge changes and issues currently. I didn't use any words I'd consider cursing, but in hindsight my tone was clearly combative and my apologies for that.
I understand.

To clarify, my idea was that we have terraforming tech that allows almost any planet to be hospitable. Due to this there are a large number of inhabited and populated planets. In addition there would be colonies established on planets or moons that had important resources but for whatever reason were impossible to terraform.
Only some planets should be inhabited, normally by outposts or small colonies. I feel diversity enriches fantasy. If we were to have a continuous string of identical Earths, or if we were to transform all stellar matter into one massive fertile sphere, can you imagine how boring that would be?

Let me explain...to protects numerous settlements or outposts spread across a planet, you simply would need at least 100s of ships to stop even the smallest attack. Without knowing where the enemy will appear from or strike, you would have to at least have some sort of force covering a massive area. Even with warships having a large "range of attack", this could not be done without 100s of ships.
All you're doing is taking 21st Century ships and giving them FTL drives. Due to their tiny range, you would indeed need 100s of ships to cover large areas. However, due to advances in telemetry, much less ships would be needed.

If the U.S. Navy has close to 300 warships alone, clearly 100s at least are necessary to patrol and protect a planet's water bodies. Now factor in that the area that to measure the area being patrolled would really be derived from the circumference of the atmosphere, which is much larger than just the surface. (Since you would be patrolling outside the atmosphere that is)
Like any developed nation, you need to rely on the population to not be in a constant state of rebellion. So long as most of the Empire is stable, most of the Empire does not need a substantial military presence.

spirits breath
06-07-2010, 09:43 PM
Where is everybody? will be easy domination if nobody post to eventually defend their territory. Zelli and I will be able to have a hand in hand dominance ofer all.

Though I do have some things planned that I am unsure he might like however. I will give you this hint. It is no light weight and will be a fun toy.

But yeah where did everyone go?

Psst zelli. stop multi tasking with facebook games. they aren't helping you strategise. Or is it. though I have ways of getting him...*evil laugh*

06-07-2010, 10:02 PM
Where is everybody?
Picked off one by one by Zelli's ninjas.

spirits breath
06-07-2010, 10:29 PM
almost makes me laugh. guess talking negotiation is good. though I still want my detector for his ships. otherwise it doesnt look like a good fight when I accidently blow up his ship.
though I could swear there is a couple alive. we got you to knock out. course then it is a bribe game for the shift of 2 vs 1 to 1 vs 2

MikeZZZ
06-07-2010, 10:59 PM
hey, the detector will come AFTER we are good and friendly allies....but who says I havn't already beaten the detector.....@ Undying I messaged Sigma about the whole Faith hostage thing, no response yet.....we shall see.

spirits breath
06-08-2010, 02:02 AM
I can take that hostage. you arent being cruel enough. might as well give over money.

but I think I can figure out how to unbend electrons. though a series of microwaves would also give cloaking. so...I think I hatched an idea to knock out your cloaking. then strip electrons from shield and well beg for mercy comrad.

06-08-2010, 08:48 AM
Unbend electrons? I wasn't aware they were involved in energy shielding.

spirits breath
06-08-2010, 03:08 PM
yeah, they gather at a single point which stops an impact. however there are several flaws that can occur from that. For example several hits at multiple points would drain them faster.

But yeah they play a big part. Kind of like recent technology to create invisibility. They use microwaves. Like not no household ones, but major super ones that would only exist in the movies. But they bend light around a target, thus making it invisible.

Hence how I know how to scare Zelli. Though he isn't hard to. Especially when I can take him hostage and settle my demands agressivly. though...
hope you stay on my good side zelli or well. you know

06-08-2010, 04:01 PM
I agree with your hypothesis that light can be bent around an object, however we're talking about high-energy weapons and solid slugs. High-energy beams have a LOT more energy in them than white light and require suitably large amounts of energy to deflect them. Solid slugs would penetrate shields altogether or explode on contact with energy. I would recommend attempting to dissipate the energy across the shield surface.

spirits breath
06-08-2010, 06:21 PM
thats how my weapons work for my anti-shield ship. If the electrons for the sheilds are scattered, then it drains then rappidly and if not knocks them out. (drones take those elsectrons away from the sheilds to disable them) and as a result drains it efficiently.

Then with the hull. Well I know how I am running my attack. And yeah, I know how to magnify the impact force several fold. meaning a big bang in a sense and lack of words.

MikeZZZ
06-08-2010, 08:08 PM
@ Spirits breath........how do you know that you aren't the one who needs to stay on MY good side....I have the massive fleets....you have what? 4 ships I believe....but anyway posting now. : ) and lets finish that battle soon that Bladerunner has some things to do. ; )

06-08-2010, 08:45 PM
thats how my weapons work for my anti-shield ship. If the electrons for the sheilds are scattered, then it drains then rappidly and if not knocks them out. (drones take those elsectrons away from the sheilds to disable them) and as a result drains it efficiently.
Oh, I though you were making shields out of electrons; I didn't realise you were using electrons to destroy them! I shall escort myself to the rehabilitation cube.

@ Spirits breath........how do you know that you aren't the one who needs to stay on MY good side....I have the massive fleets....you have what? 4 ships I believe....but anyway posting now. : ) and lets finish that battle soon that Bladerunner has some things to do. ; )
The Star Republic of Cygni would probably speak out again.

spirits breath
06-08-2010, 09:35 PM
well they take the electrons to power their own shields. but scrambling works too.

and zelli...what battle? though I think I can find allies in those who want to dead...

now I know your plans. will post later

MikeZZZ
06-08-2010, 10:31 PM
Cygni scares me......no genocides from my people.

spirits breath
06-08-2010, 11:07 PM
Cygni? (yeah a bit losto n this one, though I might have mislooked it at one point though.)

A genocide could work. Betrayal is a pain in your entire body and well it sort of sucks to be you. (just also realized that a genocide may be easy if we all congregate. Hence why I had the decontamination spray. Don't think I won't make up an illness.)

MikeZZZ
06-08-2010, 11:41 PM
@ spirits breath, read back to page 1 and 2 off the IC then look at map, look for alliance Cygni

spirits breath
06-09-2010, 12:00 AM
Ah, that would be why. I didn't read all the IC pages. been getting to it. But I figured I could just get that from Darth, and get whats important from the last well now four pages of IC.

How bad could it be? Guess you really suck then don't cha.

06-09-2010, 09:45 AM
That's the old map; I don't know what's happened to the new one.

spirits breath
06-10-2010, 06:39 PM
I just had a rather devilish idea for a weapon. use the speed from hyperspace, and combine that with the weapon propelling it at incredible enough speed to just wreck hell. Then EMP ships. (need a test subject for cloaking...)
Then well, a large needle like weapon going at that speed is going to puncture shields no matter their strength.

What use is a medical ship if they cant contribute eh? Though I may have to send someone there soon enough. Don't mess with me Zelli! I will go after you. maybe be one of the first to use their weapons instead of threats.

Torcano
06-15-2010, 07:51 PM
I really see no reason to keep arguing, but if you insist I must make one point.

The physical size of a ship (even modern ships) is in no way representative of its "range of attack" (to use an easy to get phrase). In the future naval combat would almost certainly be based almost entirely on ISBM (Inter-stellar Ballistic Missiles) and their derivatives, alongside the modern air-force dominated warfare.

Battleship weaponry would most certainly be able to strike targets hundreds of thousands of miles away, if not lightyears.

When I say to "cover" a planet, I mean sufficient force to effectively "blockade" it, preventing enemy landings and such. The size of the ship is irrelevant, as its more having "enough" ships to cover all lanes (360*360 degrees? Im hazy) of attack with sufficient force to destroy an enemy fast enough to stop them entering atmosphere.

Anyway, this is all irrelevant to the RP. Now...I sort of stopped checking for a while since there was little activity and all those who said they'd RP with me seem to not be answering! :P

spirits breath
06-15-2010, 08:45 PM
I am still sort of waiting on someone to do something in the IC. though I was thinking of solo RPing pretty soon if nothing happens. As in I will ocntinue my weapons and if I happen to run into someone, I will look at their groups goals and such. Then determine if there is a fight or not. Which will be determined by best of 7 coin toss if they don't reply within a week.

just to keep it going.

06-15-2010, 08:50 PM
Torcano, if you so wish, you can use masses of relatively tiny ships rather than small numbers of larger ships.

MikeZZZ
06-16-2010, 12:25 AM
Yeah, Undying, the other players aren't even active here, still waiting on my battle results. You wanna finish that before we get recycled from no use?

06-16-2010, 07:14 AM
Finished.

Torcano
06-16-2010, 01:39 PM
Torcano, if you so wish, you can use masses of relatively tiny ships rather than small numbers of larger ships.

I think you misread my post completely. My entire point was that the physical size of the ships is utterly irrelevant.

Realistically, my ships will be able to strike targets thousands of miles away regardless of their size.

Anyways, I'm just going to RP it how I envision it: Thousands and thousands of ships, and not small ones. Full warships, and tons of them. All deadly and powerful. I just need a lot to cover all my territory. Perhaps your empire is not so tightly guarded, not my problem.

06-16-2010, 05:28 PM
Yeah, Undying, the other players aren't even active here, still waiting on my battle results. You wanna finish that before we get recycled from no use?
You mean the new map? I'd finished it a while ago.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq270/EmberFive/Stained%20Galaxy%20RPN/100406-1.png
The Serpentar Imperium is now the Saiv Empire. Serpentar is Ravion, and Akkolai is Helatan.

spirits breath
06-16-2010, 10:35 PM
large. and zelli wasn't lying. hmm. a npc group that we may have to deal with?

MikeZZZ
06-16-2010, 10:43 PM
heck no Undying...I meant the battle in the IC thread, I am waiting, but no reply from any of the other players.....just let me escape : p I have a hostage. ; )

spirits breath
06-16-2010, 11:38 PM
I'll take that hostage off your hands. I think I can mess with them and get whatever you need far easier than you could... trust me on this.

MikeZZZ
06-17-2010, 09:56 AM
lol @ SB, haha, i' sure you could
as for NPC yes we willl need to deal with them eventualy

spirits breath
06-17-2010, 07:38 PM
we can begin anytime your ready zelli. you and me. one large space battle. this time we use our guns and unleash hellfire against them. (course since we are PCs we win regardless!)

but course we get hurt as well. now crush out allies first and then the large blob, or the blob and then allies?

MikeZZZ
06-18-2010, 02:42 AM
hmmm, lets get undying in as the other species then we can crush him. : 0

spirits breath
06-18-2010, 02:49 AM
we could, though I must say. go to bed dude. or the soft hum of a few small wingbeats with you. then as you drift away, they get louder.
the small amount of toxins with each bite and sting. that will happen to ya. so sleep trying to picture that.