PDA

View Full Version : Scaravus Day to Day

P.K.
08-13-2012, 10:28 PM
Karrha Stood in her small home looking over all her supply's splayed out before her. Her table was littered with healing items and dried herbs her small pack neatly folded out as she debated what she should pack for the next time she marched out with the others. She also made mental notes of herbs that she needed to keep an eye out and other she was running low on.

"Whew... mother its not easy keeping track here..." she murmured starting to sort herbs out and quietly putting them in the travailing pouch. They day out side was warm and the sand around the area quickly absorbed the heat that it would later radiate out during the night.

Karrha sighed softly as she looked over some dried herbs and found that they where no longer any good to her and would have to be tossed, depleting the last of that. "Well theres another to keep on my list eh?" She realized that she was talking to herself but this only made her feel only the more saddened. As she began to put the other herbs away.

Eddren
08-13-2012, 11:58 PM
Dezeroth stood at the entrance to the home, arms folded. He was not injured in any particular way, but knew that keeping in the good graces of the healers of the area was a wise idea, indeed, if he wanted to stay alive for a good amount of time. Looking over her collection, the Magician shrugged to himself. He was no master of the healing arts; he did not know much of herbs and medicines, only of magic. Though...Perhaps it would be a good idea to pick up the trade? Deciding that such a thought process could be saved until later, he cleared his throat before entering. "I thought you may need help gathering reagents," He offered, gesturing to the herbs she'd recently thrown out, "As it appears you're clearing stock, I'm sure you'll need something."

P.K.
08-14-2012, 12:39 AM
Karrha lend on the table and looked back. One look told her the man was not hurt in any way so she let the instant healers tension relax. "Thats mighty fine of you." she said dryly. Most people around here already knew that Karrha was not on with the most warmest of welcomes. "I hope none of the others put you up to this." she said once again hanging the dried herbs up. "I might be 23 but I'm not over that hill yet."Having finished her task she turned to her pack folding it up skillfully before tying it at her waist. turning her gaze to the older man and crossing her arms over her chest.

Yes he was older then her from what she understood but like any one else she treated them as if they where younger. She lend back against the table and waited on his reply and anything else he might have to say for himself.

Eddren
08-14-2012, 12:48 AM
The edge of Dezeroths' mouth quirked--The only known sign that he garnered any amusement whatsoever. Putting his hands behind his back, he inspected the house closely, before turning back toward her. "Well, if I do say so myself, the work of one healer...Albeit one young healer...Can be tiring." He paused a moment, before adding a smile, "After all, ensuring that one has enough stock for healing at least a patrol that's been ambushed. And of course, you have to ensure there's enough for every situation.."

P.K.
08-14-2012, 02:09 AM
Karrha smirked with a small snort "Ay..." she pushed herself away from the table moving past him to grab a full water skin and made sure she placed her knifes on her person. "If thats what you call flattery, you have a ways to go." She said making her way over to where her bow and quiver hung on the wall. "If your going to accompany then keep up." she said hefting her bow in one hand and slipping her quiver over her shoulder with the other. With that she was heading out the door. She was not one to wait till who ever felt ready, This was something that needed doing and the sooner the had the herbs the sooner she could dry them and the sooner they would be ready for travail, And the less she was going to have to worry about it later.

Eddren
08-14-2012, 02:20 AM
Being as all Dez needed was exactly what he was wearing, it didn't exactly take all that much time for him to get ready. Now folding his arms in front of him, he simply shook his head. Flattery? I had thought that might be diplomacy. He found, however, that he had to quicken his pace ever so slightly to keep up with the woman...Not that it was a problem, of course. My only question now, of course, is where in the world it is that we're going to find these herbs? Ponder though the Mage might do, he could not think of where they were going to find living, growing plants...At least, the kind with medicinal properties...In the middle of the desert. Perhaps this is why I am not a healer.

P.K.
08-14-2012, 03:12 PM
Karrha moved down the sandy streets with ease no longer hampered by the shifting sands as she had been the first time she arrived. Giving small waves to any one that greeted her and despite her attitude she smiled at children passing by but for the most part she didn't say a word to any one. Soon enough she was slipping out the gates of the city. She took a few steps out then glanced back to make sure that the other was following or if he was behind, Either way She continued on her way over the sand.

Even out in a hot desert there where oasis, few and far between but they where still there. If she remembered correctly, and she was sure she had, Then there was one not but a few miles away and she would hopefully have an easy time finding what she needed. If not she may have to search around for another or make a journey to the borders. However she preferred not to make that measure as it was far more dangerous with the war...

Eddren
08-14-2012, 10:13 PM
Dezeroth found he had a difficult time keeping up with the pace of the healer. Thinking for a moment, he raised his hands. Moving them in a circle, slowly, he murmured a few words to himself, before bringing his hands down. With them, came a small wind--Just powerful enough to blow some sand and, more importantly, pack what was there. With another gesture, and a small wave, a small path of fire licked the ground before him, burning the sand into slightly more walkeable glass. The winds ensured that sand did not cover the path, and the fire made it easier. The Magician smiled to himself. His favorite two Cantrips at work. Astral Winds and Mordecai's Immortal Flames.

He noted that the Healer seemed to have a fairly specific destination in mind, now that he had a path-He could tell, because every now and then, the path would have minor corrections in it...Right before getting eaten up by the desert. Dezeroth sighed to himself. Nobody would ever really be able to appreciate his talents here..."So, I don't suppose you know of any ancient, unexplored ruins?"

P.K.
08-14-2012, 11:52 PM
Karrha looked back noting the glass path and frowned but didn't comment instead looking at the man himself "No I do not." she said simply "Unexplored is the word your looking at, in this case means now found at least not by me." she said turning back as she continued on her way. "If its ruins you want to know about you best be talking to Al’tajin, But don't be surprised if he dose not flood you with everything he knows about his desert home." She said topping one of the sandy hills she looked over the land.

"There..." she said smirking lightly. off in the distance was only the shadow of something could be made out but it was there. "Keep up Dezeroth." She called over her shoulder as she started down the dun. not to much farther to go she thought quietly.

Eddren
08-14-2012, 11:55 PM
Figuring his path would no longer be needed, he dropped the flames and redirected the winds to his forehead. Magic was rather tough. However, once he had wiped his forehead with magic, he picked up the pace, quickly scurrying after the woman, over the dunes, as fast as his inexperienced body would allow. How they manage this, I do not understand... "So what is it we'll be gathering, specifically?"

P.K.
08-15-2012, 12:25 AM
"hum?" She looked back smiling a bit at the small trouble she could see him having but if he kept this up he would get used to it soon. "What ever there may be to gather." she replied "Specifically?" she said again going over her mental list. "Devil's Claw mostly but there are others." she said Naming a few off as she continued.

As far as it had first seemed to be in only a short while they where close enough to make out the lush green surrounding standing out starkly against the mute desert colors. "There you are." she murmured stopping for a moment to look around the land scape. "Keep your eyes open some times you have larger creatures hanging around here that may or may not hesitate to make you a meal." She warned slipping off her bow and pulling out an arrow as she slowed her pace to that of a normal mans walk as she approached the oasis.

Eddren
08-15-2012, 12:30 AM
Dezeroth followed quickly behind, the only sound giving him away being the occasional, slight rustle of his robes. Raising his hands, he called to himself some of his power--And looked at the surroundings for opportunities to use it. "Don't worry." He replied lowly, "I tend to give large creatures bad stomach-aches." Hmm. An Oasis. Intriguing. The Magician had heard from other Scaravians about these lush spots in an otherwise very dry area, but had not believed them. The idea that anything other than wastelands existed...

P.K.
08-15-2012, 12:44 AM
Karrha snorted "Ya well some of these don't upchuck a whole but rather in pieces..." she said peering around until she reached the edge of the oasis. However, she did not relax but picked up her pace ever so slightly moving deeper into it. Stopping when she spotted something she quietly stabbed her arrow into the ground and laid her bow down before slipping out her knife looking over the leaves. "Recent sand storms have no done to much damage." she murmured more to herself then the man following her. After mankind sure that the group of herbs was well tended and healthy she cut a few stalks before tying them together with a string and looping that around her belt so they hung at her side.

pulling up the arrow once more and hefting her bow she waved for Dezeroth to follow her even deeper. "It seems we may be alone but keep your eyes open none the less some times they are just sleeping..."

Eddren
08-15-2012, 12:55 AM
Dezeroth nodded, before creeping in after her. Of course, now he was using magic--The winds around them stilled, even as he pulled at them from a distance, ensuring that both scent and sound were soundly covered. I suppose being a healer isn't all about tending to the wounded. At least, not during war-time. Not when supplies are scarce. He narrowed his eyes from beneath those protective shadows that always hid them, So the question is, why is it that she comes out here alone? Surely, an army must be well-prepared. And one person cannot possibly gather enough materials to heal everyone.

P.K.
08-15-2012, 01:22 AM
Karrha seemed deep with in her gathering seeming to not be paying any attention to her surroundings while she silently foraged amongst the green noting where some herbs where, Even if she had no praticuler need of them for the time being. When ever she found what she was looking for she would stab her arrow into the ground for quick grabs while laying her bow down next to her. As a ritual she looked over the leaves thoroughly to make sure the plant was healthy and she would never take the full stalk always making sure there was enough to reseed. Cutting them around mid stem before tying them to her belt where they hung. It was not to long after that she was surrounded by the very strong fragrance of herbs thought she did not at all seem to notice this, as well as she might having done this for 19 years now.

"If you have questions you only need ask." she said suddenly as she pulled herself up hefting her book looking back at Dezeroth now relaxed about her surroundings.

Eddren
08-15-2012, 02:27 AM
Dezeroth blinked. "Alright, then. For starters, how about a list of what you'd like me to gather? Along with a description? It would greatly aid in ensuring that we get only what you need." He looked around, then, arms folded behind his back. "...I guess I could ask about how to apply all of these, but that would take too long." He sighed, Walking over to a patch of greens where she'd stuck an arrow, "Unfortunately, I'm not quite as knowledgeable of the natural side of the world as I am the magical." Never having needed to know herbalism in your life did stuff like that. "And as I'm sure I'll be in quite a few dangerous situations, it would help to know it."

P.K.
08-15-2012, 05:42 PM
Karrha raised an eye brow at the older man. "Applying them will be no small thing as there are many different ways and it may depend on what you are trying to apply them to." She said slowly "Some can be mixed into a drink or turned into a pulp and smoothed over a wound or sore spot." She said it all depends on what you are trying to treat at the time." It had taken her a very long time to remember the various uses of all the herbs her mother had thought her about and even now some times she still had to think on the.

"Calendula would be a good one to keep an eye out for." she said looking around her surroundings now as she slipped her bow back into her shoulder. "beautiful flower, deep orange and yellow petals." She said "More or less used for cuts, scrapes, bruises and minor wounds. Devils claw would be another, But let me deal with those."

Eddren
08-15-2012, 05:48 PM
Dezeroth rose from the patch he was currently staring at, roaming around the area in search of flowers similar in description when he found them, he knelt, mentally cursing for not bringing a knife with him, before putting his hands on each side of the flower. From the ground, a tiny amount of water came, and quickly flattened. It froze over, then, forming an almost serrated, razor-sharp edge. Murmuring a few low words as required to keep the spell going, he brought his hands back and forth, the ice-razor following his movements like some kind of floating puppet.
In a few quick seconds, he had before him a small bundle of these..Calendula.

Many applications for one herb? It might do me well to study more on this matter. I might be able to gather fewer herbs, and therefore, have to worry less about bulk. He entertained the thought as he moved about, gathering what he could find, following her lead in leaving enough of the plant to regrow. He, of course, did not know why it was that she did it this way, only that it was wise to do so.

P.K.
08-15-2012, 06:17 PM
"never harvest all of them at one haul..." her mother used to say. "If you take them all there well be nothing to grow back..." A good lesson to learn when gathering wild herbs. Of coarse the few that she grew herself she harvested differently and they where the few ,meaning dozens, she could not find here.

Finely sitting back she pulled her water skin around and took a long drink peering up between the few trees there where decided that it was well past noon and they should take a short rest before heading back into the sands. Looking over at her current companion to see how he was fairing could not help a small satisfied smirk at his work. "Not bad." she said pushing herself up. "I think we've gathered well enough on this trip though." The oasis itself seemed to be doing fine and even if she took more there was probably plenty where it came from But Karrha preferred to only take as many as would fit hanging around her waist.

"Head deeper there should be a large pool of water if not several smaller thought out this." she said trying the last of the gathered herbs to her waist "I would take a long drink before heading out into the desert once again."

Eddren
08-15-2012, 06:25 PM
Standing, Dezeroth dismissed the bit of ice, allowing the water to return to the ground from whence it came. A small twitch of the sides of his mouth showed that he was, indeed, amused by the idea that she'd have to recommend him drinking water. You don't have to tell me twice, he thought, heading further into the oasis, It's drier than a priests' humor out there. And I would know. I was raised in Archeos territory. Kneeling down before the water, he placed a hand to it. Almost as if the world had turned upside-down, a drop of water just large enough for the man to pop inside his mouth floated up through the air. Reaching out with his other hand, he caught it, murmured a few words, and then brought it to his mouth.

Once his mouth was safely closed, whatever was holding the water together vanished, and it he enjoyed the freshness of it. I could get used to this. He thought amiably before standing. Turning, he returned to the side of his guide, arms folded. "I assume, then, that we are prepared, and ready to go?"

P.K.
08-15-2012, 06:42 PM
"I am but you almost sound as if your not." she replied glancing at him sideways as she started off towards the edge of the oasis. It seemed that the two where opposites While he had admitted he had little to no knowledge of herbalism Karrha could only say the same for magic though, Wither to call the family gift of healing magic or not she was not sure. Not that she cared much to learn but with things going as they where it would not be unwise to know just enough.

She glanced back at her companion 'I recall you asking me earlier about ruins? why would this interest you?"

Eddren
08-15-2012, 06:48 PM
"Knowledge." He replied simply, "Plain and simple. Knowledge is necessary for everything in life. If I wanted to better understand the powers with which I work? The answer is hidden within knowledge. If I wished to learn of ancient, long-lost remedies? That would also be hidden with knowledge." He paused for a moment, shrugging, before staring up at the sky, "...And the best knowledge is always hidden in places unexplored by others. Or at least, unexplored for vast periods of time. I suppose it would be possible for me to experiment on my own, but...It would take far longer, and be far less efficient." He returned his gaze to Karrha, then, "But I digress. I shall simply have to find ruins in my spare time."

P.K.
08-15-2012, 06:58 PM
She met his eyes with her own dark ones. "Good luck." she said turning her gaze back to the land scape before her. "These sand shift with the winds and there, I'm sure, many things buried deep with in these deserts that have been lost for as long as we both have lived if not longer." Glancing back behind her she pointed out quietly "Already our foot steps are hidden and so are the many other secrets of this place."

"Its not always wise to bee seeking that hidden knowledge.." she said finely "Some of its has been hidden for a reason, Unknown to us they may be but it is still a reason."

Eddren
08-15-2012, 07:05 PM
"The sands are little limit to one such as myself." He replied, bemused, "All I need is someone who knows its' relative position, and I can uncover it. It may take me a few days, weeks, perhaps even a month, but I'm confident in my abilities." He glanced calmly around himself, "After all, I managed to find my way into Scaravus without an invitation, didn't I?"

P.K.
08-15-2012, 07:25 PM
Karrha smirked "As a few others of us did." she said, Yes there were a few others that had not originally tarted here, She herself was from Aeregos. "So far as I know our original country's are neighbors but not allies unless things have changed since you or I have left it is still the same." She wondered again if they knew she was gone... more then likely but still people could be over looked during war.

Eddren
08-15-2012, 07:28 PM
"Then the sands, you should know, part well enough for those with a little determination." He replied dryly. I suppose it doesn't surprise me too much that there are foreigners here. Not that it matters, really. "But as it is, those reasons for hiding such knowledge may be invalid in todays' world."

P.K.
08-15-2012, 07:46 PM
Karrha only shook her head "Invalid? the reason for hiding such would very much be valid the reason could determine what secret it might hold and if it should be used or not." She said glancing back at him "Darker secrets are hidden for the reason to protect someone or something and those secrets in turn should remain so..." she looked on ahead once again topping a rise and grimaced at what she could see.

"The wind may pick up." she said "We may find ourselves caught in a sand storm, So if we wish to make it back to the city before then I suggest we pick up our pace." She said eying her surroundings and studying the way the sand was being blown around. "Sand may part but not at a whim its a higher power that controls the winds here..." she muttered more to herself.

Eddren
08-15-2012, 07:57 PM
Dezeroth smiled dryly. He was well aware of who controlled these sands. Just as he was aware that its' consciousness was too spread out to really focus on any one point to the extent necessary to stop him. He did not tell her this, of course, because there was no reason to reveal his own musings on the matter. "Then let's hurry."

P.K.
08-16-2012, 03:52 PM
Karrha didn't need to be told twice, Fact she didn't need to be told once she was already making her way down the dun. Her steps where sinking into the less then packed sand but she remained fully on her feet when when it slipped some times But for the most part it was easy going, for her.

Thats night they indeed did have a sand storm but not as bad as others she had seen. By morning she was up cleaning up the house and making sure all her herbs and growing plants where well tended. When she figured it was safe she hung up the new herbs out side in the sun where they could dry and then tended to her own plants Before finely making herself breakfast. Nothing much of coarse she hardly ate more then a bowl and some times not even that. All seemed well to day and maybe she would have some peace with no small injury's to look foreword to.

Eddren
08-16-2012, 06:31 PM
Dezeroth reappeared the next day. Who knows? Maybe he just liked aggravating her. Maybe he had too much spare time on his hands. All the magus knew was that he'd read over each of the tomes twice over since he'd taken them from the Academy, and he thought it was high time that he learned something new. Leaning against the doorway, he simply looked around the room from behind his visor of hair and shadow. A small rustling of the cloth and a cough gave way to his presence.

P.K.
08-16-2012, 07:10 PM
Karrha looked back from where she was not seeming all that surprised to see him but not exactly welcoming. "Back so soon?" she asked swallowing the last bit of her meal before slipping away to clean up the dish. "Yesterday wasn't enough for you?" She smirked a bit as she quickly cleaned up and put things away. She was wide awake and ready to make another trip out into the desert but it was unlikely that she would. The gathering yesterday had been more then enough, at least for now.

Eddren
08-16-2012, 07:14 PM
"I figured I had a lot to learn." He replied dryly, before entering, arms behind his back as he stood by the table. The Magician took a glance around the house, satisfied that the stock was, indeed, fuller than when he had last returned. And no injured soldiers. Obviously, there had been no battles as of yet...Or any ambushes, for that matter. I'm sure the leadership of Scaravus is happy with this news. "But I can see that there isn't much work to do around the house today."

P.K.
08-16-2012, 07:20 PM
Karrha snorted "Honestly there is never much to do 'around' the house." she said turning and leaning back on the counter. "The most there is when I'm not tending wounded men is tending to the people in the the city and what ever small injury they can manage to give themselves." she said simply crossing her arms over her breast. "Mayhaps I help with a mother giving birth or other sicknesses but for the most part these people are quite well off on their own."

She tipped her head to the side slightly. "So you want to learn?" she asked seriously.

Eddren
08-16-2012, 07:28 PM
"I would not come here if I did not want to learn." Well, I probably would, actually, but that is beside the point. He turned to glance at her, his mouth quirking before returning to its' usual stony stillness. It was not often that he was so easily amused, but--I'll just have to forgive her. Walking over to the shelf, he examined the herbs before him. "Unfortunately, I cannot tell what it is I'm looking at, nor what it is that they do, nor the best way to use them."

P.K.
08-16-2012, 08:06 PM
Karrha watched him amused as he looked over the herbs on the shelves. "Thats Milk Thistle." she said 'Its supposed to help the liver though I have had yet to use it." she said unmoved from her spot. She nodded towards another shelve containing some living plants that she had tended earlier. "Basil, can help relive inflamed throat conditions. Borage can be used, along with catnip, to treat colds." She said "Comfrey, in various forms, can be used on burns, abrasions and lacerations. Mind these are only some of the uses." She said finely pushing herself away from the counter and moving over to a few herbs she had hanging near the back.

"Many different herbs have much the same uses but with greater or lesser effects." she said "Some times it simply depends on the person consuming or applying it." She said pulling a few down. "Yarrow can be used for wounds, cuts and abrasions. Much like Comfrey. thyme Can be put into a tea and help coughs and or Bronchitis." she said simply

Eddren
08-16-2012, 08:16 PM
Dezeroth looked around and frowned to himself, mentally categorizing the information. Keep Thyme in mind if heading into cold or damp climates, Yarrow is useful anywhere...Actually, I should keep most of these in mind. They're all useful. "...I see.." He looked over each, committing their descriptions to memory. "...Basil...Comfrey..." Staring for a few minutes, he shook his head and looked back up to her, nodding. "I suppose next time I should bring a journal. The drawings and names and such would be something useful to look over."

P.K.
08-16-2012, 08:53 PM
Karrha chuckled lightly "Thats might be wise." she said setting the herbs on the table. "Some herbs you you may tell by the scent they give off when you rub their leaves." she said "Like Lemon balm." She pulled off a few more herbs and set them on the table including some fresh leaves from her own plants before grabbing some water and a few viles and setting them on the table. Now she had a small array of herbs and a small bowl.

She set back for a moment making sure she had everything she wanted out then nodded to herself quietly. She was in no hurry but since she had nothing better to do, And she had some one willing enough to learn... "Mixing some herbs would be best for some situation or making salves can be good when travailing rather then carrying a small pack around with you." she said slowly again going over the ingredients she had brought out before she was seemingly satisfied. she took a few of the herb leaves and dropping in the small bowl, That turned out to be a Mortar the Pestle laying next to it. She busied herself with crushing them them then ever now and then adding more or adding another leaf of something else.

Eddren
08-16-2012, 09:00 PM
Dezeroth watched closely, taking note of what she said before nodding. Hmm.. It was a lot of information to take in, but he never would have gotten far in magic if not for his ability to persevere. Pacing back and forth as he categorized information, he nevertheless made sure to pay acute attention to the work being done before him. "...And when you're in a rush, and don't have much time to cure an ailment, or mend a wound?"

P.K.
08-16-2012, 09:08 PM
Karrha set back at the question "What kinda of rush? a march? there is not much to be done then try and make them swallow a herb or work while moving which can be risky. Curing and ailment , for the most part, is easy enough if you can get them to chock down a herb or prepared salves. Mending a wound stop the bleeding adn deppending on the severity of the wound you may have to wait till your safely camped before attempting anymore." She said going back to her mixing thoughtfully. "For some herbs in a situation like that the juice is all that is really required and in that instance you can chew it up for a pulp if need be. Mind though... its not always the most pleasant of tastes." she said cocking a smile at him.

Eddren
08-16-2012, 10:00 PM
"I'm thinking more to the tune of you've got someone in critical condition, perhaps you've been recently ambushed and just managed to get to safety, and you've only got a few minutes to save their lives." Dezeroth rubbed his chin, thinking on the matter, "Because, as you might understand, I think it'd be best to know what to do in a situation I will undoubtedly face many times before the end of this war." Shrugging, he sighed. It'll be helpful to know if we get caught by surprise while gathering reagents, too.

P.K.
08-16-2012, 10:28 PM
Karrha thought about this. "If there are others with you, you may have to resort to taking charge quickly." she said slowly thinking out this out. "In most cases they are already lost." she said flatly. "The most you may be able to start with is stop their bleeding and keeping them awake and calm, The more worked up they are the more blood comes out..." she said simply yet again going back to her mixing adding tidbits of water here and there. "In most cases you will need to stitch them up as well, deep wounds or cuts that cover a large area. well need to be treated but your top priority in that matter is to stop their bleeding and treat any life threatening wounds."