PDA

View Full Version : [M] Paradigm

The Gypsy Queen
04-07-2010, 11:05 PM
Chandra had never been a very aggressive person. Her life had forced her to be a fighter, but she was never one to start a fight unless she had to, and she generally disliked violence. She liked to think that she could solve disputes peacefully and that she was a good person.

But as it turned out, Cesare brought out the worst in her.

The crystal vase shattered in the most satisfying manner where Cesare’s head had been seconds before, raining pieces of the roses that had occupied the vase over him. Cesare stood again, giving Chandra a suffering look.

“ The crystal one, Chandra? Really?” he asked, his voice condescending. “ That was a gift from my brother.” Chandra offered him a fake smile, picking up the first of stacked plates of fine china and preparing to hurl it at him. “ Okay, okay, okay!” Cesare said, holding up his hands in the universal please-don’t-kill me gesture. “ I get it. Alimony payments. Got it. Totally.” He said, keeping his hands up.

“ Yeah, you better.” Chandra growled, setting the plate down. “ If you don’t get it you’ll be hearing from my lawyer.”

“ Your lawyer is my aunt, Chandra.” Cesare said, straightening his sleek black jacket and brushing crystal shards. Chandra growled and snapped up the plate and flung it at Cesare’s head, soundless and fast as only years of training could be.

In answer, Cesare lifted his hand and spoke a single word.

“ Servitas.”

The plate froze in mid air, hovering there as the room filled with the sound of air moving. Scowling, Chandra sat down at the table as Cesare reached out and grabbed the plate, setting it on the china hutch behind him.

“ Violence is not always the answer, my dear.” He said, condescending tone firmly back in place. Chandra sneered.

“ And one of these days, you won’t have your bag of magic tricks to save you, Cez.” She answered. “ And don’t call me that. I’m not your anything.” She added, crossing her arms over her chest. She didn’t add the expletives regarding his character that came to mind.

“ Mm.” was Cesare’s unconcerned answer. “ Where’s Cici?” he asked instead.

“ Hiding from you.” Chandra answered with a growl.

“ Cici loves me.” Cesare said, brow furrowing in concern.

“ Loved.” Chandra corrected. “ Past tense.” Cesare sighed.

“ Fine, Chandra, I get the point. You’re mad at me, Cici is mad at me, the whole god damned family is mad at me. You want to lay off?”

“ No, I don’t.” Chandra growled. “ I want you to get the fuck out of my house, and I want you to keep that evil little bitch the hell away from me, and I want you to set up the fucking alimony payments like you were supposed to two months ago.”

“ Chandra, if you would just-“

“ Get. The fuck. Out.” Chandra snarled. Cesare threw his hands up and stormed out of the house, slamming the door behind him. After he was gone, Chandra leaned her elbows on the table, hiding her face in her hands.”

“ Is he gone?” a little voice asked, and Chandra looked up to see a messy head of red hair and tawny cat ears peering through the door from the kitchen. She sighed and forced a smile.

“ Yes, baby, he’s gone.” She said, sitting back in the chair. “ Come here, baby.” She said, motioning the small framed cat girl over. With a quick scurry, the small girl was sidling up to her side, arms going around her neck. “ I’m sorry, little girl, but Cez can’t come home.” She started, hugging the childlike girl.

“ I know. Cause he did something bad.” Bright, wide, and soulful green eyes watched Chandra. “ I understand.”

“ Okay.” Chandra nodded, sighing. As she did, a knock sounded on the door. Chandra glanced at the door, knowing it couldn’t be Cesare, because he would have just barged in. “ Go answer the door, Cici.”

“ Kay!” Cici chirped happily, shooting off and leaping over furniture in her rush to get to the door. The little hybrid had been obviously made for speed but little else. She was, by her own count, at least twenty when Chandra had found her three years ago, half dead in an alleyway. But she displayed an intelligence on par with a ten year old, barely able to read and count. She was childlike and innocent, and clung to Chandra like a frightened daughter clings to her mother. Chandra had learned, in her dealings with certain groups from the C.S.T., that Cici’s “model” was C.C. 6574, and she’d been engineered to be a speed combat unit. The information sickened Chandra. Cici was like a child to her, and in spite of her unique combat talents, Chandra had sworn to never to exploit her small adopted daughter.

Cici came barreling back into the dining room, excitedly handing Chandra an envelope.

“ It was a cor… cory… um, a delivery guy! The kind that ride on bikes. Not the mailman.” She babbled happily.

“ A courier.” Chandra said absently, running her fingers over the rough folded parchment of the envelope, flipping it over to reveal a red wax seal. The seal had a coat of arms on it with a bird and a snake baring its fangs.

“ Yeah, that. He said it’s for you and it’s important and you should open it right away!” Cici smiled widely, apparently pleased with herself if the soft purring noise from the base of her throat or the swish of her long, tapered tail was anything to go by. Chandra smiled and ran her finger under the seal, opening the envelope and pulling out a piece of folded parchment. She unfolded it to read it out loud to Cici.

“Dear Ms. Moretti,

It is my most sincere hope that this letter finds you in good health.

I have begun a most curious business venture. This venture is not for any sort of monetary gain on my part, although I do hope that you might gain from it greatly. No, my friend, this venture grows from my desire to see a dream of my youth blossom into a reality.

It has come to my attention that you possess certain skills that I may find of great use to this dream of mine. You have been referenced to me with the most high recommendations. Therefore, I would like greatly to meet with you and discuss the possibility of your future employment. If you would please come to the Adderson Building at three o’clock this afternoon, I would be most thankful.

I thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Bartholomew Adderson”

Chandra folded the paper again thoughtfully, glancing at Cici, who was leaning her head on the table, ears back and tail thrashing thoughtfully.

“ A job?” Cici asked. Chandra nodded. “ Do we need a job?”

“ It would be nice to not have to work with Cez.” Chandra admitted. “ And maybe it’s good, regular work. Like in an office.” She added hopefully. Cici gave her a disbelieving look. “ It could happen.” Chandra said defensively.

“ Are we gonna go?” Cici asked instead.

“ The letter was addressed to me, Cici, not you.” Chandra said. “ It’s bad manner to show up at a meeting you weren’t invited to.”

“ But I got one too!” Cici said, holding up an identical parchment envelope with a red seal, slightly crumpled.

A few hours later, Chandra was standing outside of the seventy-story Adderson Building, covered in majestic marble and sleek glass, adjusting Cici’s hoodie.

“ Don’t let your ears show, okay, sweetie?” she whispered, worried. People didn’t generally like hybrids, and she’d seen one too many times when Cici’s hood had come down and she’d been yelled at or even hit for how she looked.

“ Okay, quit fussing!” Cici whined.

Chandra stood up straight and took in a deep breath, leading Cici into the building. She went straight to the front desk and introduced herself, and the pretty girl at the desk called down someone called Mr. Jeffs, who turned out to be a tall, intimidating man in a suit.

Mr. Jeffs in turn led Chandra and Cici to an elevator, which they rode up the top floor in an uncomfortable silence. He then ushered them into a large office, decorated in dark mahogany wood and dominated by a huge mahogany desk. The walls of the office were lined with leather bound books and various trinkets and trophies. No one else was in the room, so Chandra let Cici’s hand go and watched the girl roam through the office, stopping to inspect a sword mounted on the mantle and several plaques.

“ Chandra, what does ‘co-mem-or-ay-shun of val-or’ mean?” she chirped from one of the plaques.

“ It means whoever that was given to did something very brave.” She said, moving to read the titles of the books on the opposite wall. Most of the titles were long and in a language she didn’t understand, and some just had numbers. “ And probably also very smart.” She added.

“ Oh.” Cici said, moving to a large free standing globe, elegantly painted. “ Pretty.”

Chandra smiled, sitting on one of a number of chairs placed in front of the desk, straightening her dark skirt and button up blouse – it was the nicest outfit she owned. Cici had nothing nice to wear, her small frame and tail making any form of formal wear difficult. Chandra had been forced to have the girl wear an oversized hoodie that hung down to her knees, just to hide her ears and tail.

She hoped it would be okay. She wondered how long she would have to wait.

GraftRaven
04-07-2010, 11:44 PM
Krath flipped down his welder’s mask and set to work tack-welding armor plates to the inside of a large black SUV, contract work for the Morettis. Beside him a portable radio blared Metallica’s Shortest Straw until it was shut off by the warehouse’s manager. Krath flipped the mask back up and shut off the torch, his migraine returning in the near silence. “What is it, you already have the rent.”
The manager smiled. “Nice to see you too Krath, bit of mail for you.” A letter was tossed into his lap and then the manager left the room, looking at the SUV one last time before exiting. Krath wiped his hands off with a towel before turning his radio back on, but the fur on his hands was still stained from dealing with the leaking oil lines earlier. He sat at a small desk, brushing aside the assorted junk covering most of the space, then used a claw to slit open the letter and began reading:
Dear Krath AKA Niveus,

I have begun a most curious business venture. This venture is not for any sort of monetary gain on my part, although I do hope that you might gain from it greatly. No, my friend, this venture grows from my desire to see a dream of my youth blossom into a reality.

It has come to my attention that you possess certain skills that I may find of great use to this dream of mine. You have been referenced to me with the most high recommendations. Therefore, I would like greatly to meet with you and discuss the possibility of your future employment. If you would please come to the Adderson Building at three o’clock this afternoon, I would be most thankful.

Sincerely,
Bartholomew Adderson
“Right Bart… you’ve got a meeting.” Krath mumbled to himself, and then got up to check the time. 2:15 pm, just enough time to make it to the Adderson Building. He walked over to a small table and grabbed his chains and fingerless gloves off of it, then put them on. He walked out of the side door to his room which took him through the manager’s office. “I’m going out for a while Chris, nobody gets into my room while I’m gone.” He pushed his way out the door, then began to walk down the street, the tube coming out of his head attracted the usual stares, but today his choice to wear a white shirt with a red sketch of a skull on it over black pants with chains attracted even more attention. As if he couldn’t be more obvious his existence as a hybrid granted him a wide passage through the crowds and a few hateful words as well.
He didn’t mind much, their stares and words were empty, plus his migraine had returned which prevented him from concentrating on so many details at once. About thirty minutes later he reached the Adderson Building, entered, had a minor argument with the lady at the front desk who seemed to doubt whether he actually had been invited even after he showed her his letter. The elevator ride with Mr. Jeffs was hell on earth, not because of the man, but because of the accursed elevator music. Krath arrived at the office with a full blown migraine and very heavily fell into a chair, then pulled out an iPod and put in one specially designed earbud to accommodate his cat ears. He pressed the pay button, not bothering to pay attention to what song was playing or whatever else was in the room. He tilted his head back and closed his eyes, wondering when he would be interrupted.
(OOC: i hope you don't mind that i didn't bother to cover his hybrid-ness up... i could if you like.)

Ophelia
04-08-2010, 01:39 AM
"Is this your card?" Sliding her hand in a grand gesture across the back of the emerald-backed deck, Lola's fingers flicked the required card into her hand and turned it face up, revealing the placid frozen smile of the Queen of Diamonds. With a similar expression etched onto her lips, her green eyes rose to meet themselves in the mirror. Lola regarded herself for one icy moment, before letting the sides of her mouth drop to their normal shape.

"You're a cheat. Your aces were shaved." She accused her reflection, gathering up the spread of cards laid out before her without looking at them. "Picture cards creased." A look of concentration passed over her forehead as her fingers nimbly passed through the deck, searching for the familiar tell-tale marks on the sides that distinguished the picture cards from the Aces, and the Aces from the Jokers, and the Jokers from the numbers. Within a minute, they were piled into their correct categories. Lola broke her own gaze, and glanced down at the piles before her. "Don't know what you're talking about, friend." Both hands swept over them, gathering them back into a neat pile. "I offered you a simple card game. Didn't have to play." With a grunt, Lola lifted herself up from her cross-legged position and onto her feet, hands flicking and shuffling through the deck as she steadied herself. "Even let you deal, like."

She wandered away from the thin mirror propped up against the thin metal wall of her bedroom, and left the deck on the corner of the small table that served both as a dining table and occasional stool for when heavy things fell on her roof, something that seemed to be occurring more recently nowadays. Two days ago, it was a branch. That had left a nice big dent that she had to hammer out. The poor ceiling still hadn't recovered from five months ago, when some guy in the city got pushed off a six storey flat onto it. That had been both messy and inconvienient.

Lola drew her eyes away from the spot of the ceiling where they had seemed to come to rest, and towards the mountain of dirty dishes piled up in the sink. She wrinkled her nose slightly. "Yuck..." Her hands filtered through the plates, and upon finding one that was not really very dirty, pulled it from the pile. "Beans." She told herself. "Beans aaaaand..." She trailed off as she opened a high cupboard that held most of her food supplies that didn't need to be in a fridge. It was empty, apart from a slightly concerning dark stain in the back corner. "I think it's gotten bigger since last time." Lola checked herself. "Beans!... and beans. Brilliant." She closed the door with a small thump, and opened the fridge. It bore a small chunk of cheese, and two tins of tinned beans. She grabbed a tin, and set it on the counter exasperatedly.

"Now it's just a question of finding the fucking tin opener."

Luckily, before she had to sort through an even larger disarray of cooking utensils, a brief knock sounded at the entrance. Dropping her previous train of thought concerning vital nourishment, Lola grabbed the baseball bat tucked in between the kitchen counter and the wall reserved especially for Trouble and Uninvited Guests, two not mutually exclusive parties. She grabbed the handle with both hands, swinging it uneasily. "Have you always been this heavy?" She chided the chunk of wood idly, tapping the tip lightly against the counter. It was highly unlikely that she could put it to proper effect, but she was hoping that one well-aimed hit to the crotch would really be all she needed, however weak.

She edged slowly over to the door, like she had seen people do in movies. One foot carefully placed after another, winding round the various items of clothing and shoes left strewn in the tiny space that constituted a hallway. One hand rested on the door handle, the other on the bat, shaking slightly under the weight. "Three... two... one." In one swift movement, she yanked the door open and raised the bat to the side, ready to strike.

As soon as the door revealed the savage-esque woman wielding a baseball bat in a threatening manner, the man clad in black leathers wasted no time in staggering back down the steps, getting out of the way of the swing radius. Lola followed after him, her bare feet stepping as far onto the third and last wooden step that annexed her caravan door and the ground, before noting the letter held outstretched in a black gloved hand. "Oh. Sorry." She half-apologised, realising that this man probably wasn't out for some kind of retribution act. Still gripping onto the bat cautiously, but lowering it considerably, she pulled the envelope away. "How did you find me anyway? I've only been here fore two days. Whoever your employer is, must have his finger to the pulse. As it were." If the courier had replied, she hadn't listened. "Pretty piece of New Orleans, here. Trés bien. Trés jolie." She slid a finger underneath the lip and began to tear. "I can't really speak French. Once met a man who offered to teach me." She paused for a second as she pulled out the contents, and sat down on the steps. "I turned him down. Smelt a rat. Didn't think it'd be-" She glanced upwards towards where the courier had stood. Motorbike tracks left in the dirt were the only evidence he had actually been there. "... Appropriate. Hmm."

Dear Miss Gregory... Lola's voice traced the words written, whispering the letter back to herself.

..I thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Bartholomew Adderson

"Posh name. Old money, although that's saying nothing nowadays. Intellectual." Lola quickly analysed the traits that ebbed through the writing. "Ambitious. A foolish man's aspiration." She sneered slightly. Her mind had already been made; the promise of gaining greatly from whatever little venture this was going to be was too good to pass up. Letter still held in her hand, she raised her right arm, and sniffed under it. "God, I need a shower." She pushed herself to her feet, picked up the baseball bad with her free hand and stepped back into the caravan, letting the door swing shut behind her.

---

Looking somewhat more presentable, with a plait left to hang loosely over each shoulder and barely any dirt underneath her fingernails, Lola left the caravan with a small backpack slung casually over one shoulder. It contained a bottle of debatably "clean" water, a few notes of money and a deck of cards, now taken along with her sheerly for personal comfort rather than any intention of setting up a scam. The Adderson building, mentioned in the letter, was about a quarter of an hour's walking distance from where Lola was stationed presently. It was one of the first places she had visited when she arrived in New Orleans. Plenty of people richer than herself looking for a quick cash-in, their own importance clouding their eyes. Lola wondered slightly if Mr Adderson would be the same; all guff, good intentions, but ultimately a feeble-minded man looking for some little gypsy girl with a bit of a mouth on her to do his dirty work. Yes, she had met men like him before, and most had ended up poorer than before they started. She wouldn't admit it, but a small part of her hoped that this time it might be different.

Lola entered the lobby of the Adderson Building, feeling incredibly underdressed even in her best canvas jacket and the only pair of unripped jeans she owned amongst smartly suited men and women whose shoes clacked in an uncomfortable sounding manner across the floor. "Such a rush. Busy busy busy." Lola noted quietly as she identified the reception desk and made her way over. She folded her arms on the surface, and leant towards the pretty young thing sat with a pressed smile on her face behind the desk.

"My name is Lola Gregory. I have a meeting with Mr Adderson at three." She spoke in her most polite manner, careful to pronounce each word clearly and eloquently. The receptionist twisted her smile a little, attempting and for the most part succeeding to hide her slight bemusement.
"Of course, Miss Gregory. Just a moment." She leant into a small speaker and requested a Mister Jeffs to the Reception, please, thankyou. The receptionist smiled placidly at Lola. "If you'd like to wait here for a second, Mister Jeffs should be along-" Her eyes flicked over Lola's shoulder briefly. "Ah. There he is now." Having done with her interaction, the girl's gaze returned to her work. Lola felt a small tap on her shoulder and was met by a grey man in a grey suit. It was the plainly-coloured tie she saw first, before raising her head upwards to meet the tall man's neutral-expressioned face.
"If you'd like to follow me, Miss Gregory." Without waiting for a reply, he turned on his heel and set off towards the elevator, leaving Lola to tag along behind, feeling like she was six again and blindly trailing after her mother. For once, she left herself in silence as the pair travelled to the elevator. Jeffs let her in first, before pressing the button for the top floor. Lola idly beat a rhythm along in time to the elevator music in her head, determined not to let the oppressive silence get to her. As the doors slid open, Mr Jeffs ushered her towards a large-looking office at the end of the corridor, informing her of the others' presence and assuring her that Mr Adderson would be along shortly. Lola graciously thanked him, and stepped inside the conference room. A quick scan came up with a calm-looking woman, a young girl and what seemed like a man at first, but upon further observation turned out not to really be a man at all.

"Well, this wasn't what I was expecting." She scowled slightly, before she had remembered to be tactful.

Higurashi
04-08-2010, 02:06 AM
Xexon-12 woke up in his room in a cold sweat. He didn't remember having any dreams, but he remembered something along the lines of extreme pain. It might be possible but his logic centered brain didn't permit 'possibilities'. It would only permit reality and fact. Of course, there were errors in fact on occasion so it did allow room for improvement. He got up from his bed and went to wash himself off. His brain didn't usually break from his morning routine, but today his mind wandered. It considered his life and ho he had gotten to this point. He thought back to his first mission...

It's a cold night, Zev thought, before refocusing on the mission ahead. It would be his first. He had never done a hit before, and he hoped that it would go well. Things hadn't gone well for awhile.... No, I must stay focused. I can't afford to screw this up.

I climb down from my perch on the top of the water tower and get into the proper sniper position on the roof of the ten story building. I make sure to seal all entrances to the roof so that no one will come up by accident and surprise me. I of course leave an escape route. This wasn't a suicide mission afterall.

I get out the sniper rifle, it was a 50 caliber weapon, lightweight, and compact. It had been hand-crafted in Switzerland. It even had silencer's and special grips that you could attach according to the occasion. It was his first issued weapon.

If I do this correctly, I'll be issued close quarter weapons and maybe even some cash. As I think this, I hear something scrabbling behind me. I turn around sharply, right into the gun barrel of a Reconstruction caliber pistol. Its a terrifying experience, staring Death incarnate in the face, but I manage to roll out of the way in time to avoid the bullet. It smashes into the roof where I had been previously and leaves a foot-wide hole in the concrete. I swipe my silent assailent's legs out from under him and smash his head into the ground. The pistol goes off again and accidentally blows the hapless man's chest into a messy pup. He doesn't live for more than a few seconds. I get up and filch the pistol from him. I look around and see that the target has heard the fight and is trying to escape. I bring up my rifle and blow his head off quickly, then escape.

When I arrive back at my appartment the Agents are waiting for me. They congragulate me, then knock me out with an injection. The last thing I hear about is more improvements for myself... When I wake up I'm sitting in the shower, back in the present.

Lethe
04-09-2010, 02:49 AM
Light was the enemy.

So also was dampness.

Acid too was dangerous. Even the trace amounts of the oil from her fingertips could cause irreparable damage to precious historical documents. Cataloging, analysis, and preservation of ancient manuscripts and paintings were an essential part of her job responsibilities. Brie Etienne was the Head Archivist for the New Orleans Museum of History and Art. She supervised a staff of technicians, conservators, and fellow archivists and was presently being groomed to oversee the museum’s curator staff as well. The other employees respected her patience, overall fairness, and level of expertise. Brie had a wall full of impressive degrees ranging from a Masters degree in archaeology to PhDs in both history and linguistics. Members of her staff thought of her as being quiet, unassuming, and studious; a timid little woman who preferred the labyrinthine corridors in the underbelly of New Orleans’ largest museum to its flashy displays and exquisitely decorated upper floors. While she encouraged her staff to augment their training through classes and seminars, Brie seldom left the museum’s basement. She never sought any sort of recognition. She never mingled with the museum’s wealthy and influential patrons. In fact, the plump little woman preferred to remain in the shadows, as far away from the spotlight as possible. Despite the fact that she was a timid creature who most people wouldn’t afford as much as a second glance, Brie was far more than she appeared to be.

After gently returning the ancient parchment to its conservation receptacle, Brie methodically removed her white cotton gloves. So many irreplaceable manuscripts, paintings, and artifacts had been needlessly destroyed with the aftermath of the Phage. Precious little had been able to be retrieved from the European museums before mass chaos had erupted. London, Paris, Rome, Venice, and Berlin were now practically ghost towns; their treasures ransacked, burned, destroyed by the elements, or senselessly buried beneath mounds of rubble. With each manuscript and masterpiece that had been demolished, another precious fragment of history had been erased. History was extremely important to Brie. For her, the past held as much significance as the present.

The majority of humans would have difficulty comprehending Brie’s unique world view. They wouldn’t understand why she chose to spend the majority of her waking hours in solitude within the darkened bowels of a prominent museum. They wondered why she dressed so plainly. They couldn’t fathom why a woman not long out of graduate school, who appeared to be barely into her thirties, would sequester herself away, never participating in the many recreational activities and exciting nightlife that New Orleans had to offer. Of course if they were attempting to apply human logic to Brie, they would be missing an essential piece of the puzzle.

Brie Etienne wasn’t human at all.

The short statured woman meandered through a series of darkened hallways, oblivious to the myriad of patrons viewing the exhibits several floors above her. She passed tall bookcases and a multitude of storage rooms containing special non-circulating historical collections that were unavailable for public viewing. There were crates of canvasses, receptacles for microfiche, and climate controlled rooms for storing all manner of pottery, jewelry, vases, coins, manuscripts and artifacts. At length she reached her small office where she planned to sit for a moment and add several entries to her ledger. Unlike the offices of her colleagues and staff members, hers was conspicuously devoid of a computer. She preferred to take hand written notes, and the museum director was so pleased with her performance and level of dedication that he never forced such technology upon her. It was easy enough to hire employees for data entry, provided they could decipher the orderly but peculiar looking scrawls that comprised her handwriting.

Atop her antique wooden desk waited a small pile of envelopes left by the mail courier. The first two envelopes went immediately into the nearby trash receptacle. The third, which pertained to an annual conference, was set aside. However, it was the fourth article that immediately captured her attention. For as she held the envelope, she experienced an unusual tingling sensation that originated at the back of her neck and progressed down to the tips of her toes. Something unusual was afoot. She had a sense about such things.

She opened the letter and read its contents. Her curiosity was now piqued. She wondered who this Bartholomew Adderson was. Was that his actual name or was it an assumed identity? She also was curious as to what skills she possessed that he could possibly be referring to. Why would he require the services of a humble museum archivist? And why would he want to discuss her possible future employment. Brie disliked change and was actually quite comfortable with her present job. Still, she had an overwhelming desire to attend this meeting. This mystery intrigued her. Besides, what could be the harm of acquiring more information?

As a precaution, she studied both the letter and envelope under one of the museums high magnification lamps, but the only thing she could determine was that the parchment and ink were made in the old style, reminding her of older days and less complicated times…

~*~ ~*~ ~*~

It was odd feeling the warm sunlight against her skin. Had it really been so long since she had been out of doors during daylight hours? Could her skin truly have turned so pale? Maybe her supervisor had been correct. Possibly it would do her a bit of good to spend some time away from the archive department before she became archived herself. The museum director had been so shocked and amazed by her request to take some time off work that he had implored her to take as much time away as she needed. She hadn’t intended on practically taking up permanent residence in the museum basement. Perhaps this meeting would be a healthy change of pace for her.

She hadn’t needed to use a map to locate the Adderson Building. Members of her race had a near perfect sense of direction. Once she had visited a certain location, she could almost always find her way back again. Brie proceeded inside, using a hand carved, ash spiral wood cane with her right hand as she walked. Although she didn’t actually require the cane for walking, it brought some comfort to have the object nearby. When others questioned her about it, she typically spoke of injuring her left ankle in a fall whilst moving a large crate of pottery years ago.

After exiting the elevator, she was politely escorted into a tastefully decorated top floor room where others were already waiting, some seated upon chairs. Resisting the urge to inspect the beautifully crafted mahogany wood desk to see if it might be an antique, and also overcoming her desire to study the various knickknacks and artifacts scattered around the room, Brie quietly made her way over to a nearby chair. The chair was a tad too large for her diminutive stature, causing the heels of her shoes to not quite reach the floor. Brie rested her cane across her lap, with her right hand anxiously tracing the grain of the hand carved wood. She tried to smile pleasantly but she wasn’t quite comfortable in the presence of a group strangers. There was always the awkwardness of having to come up with something interesting to say to initiate a conversation, and her conversational skills were unfortunately somewhat lacking. From the corner of her eye, Brie began observing the others who were present.

Lord Tully
04-09-2010, 03:21 AM
Lora was quietly walking down a street in New Orleans towards her favorite Jazz bar, Henry's. She smiled when she approached the door and heard the band playing, she had always loved Jazz music especially in New Orleans. Lora smiled even more to see patrons dancing to the music which left most of the seats open. She went up to Ernie the bartender and told him, "Send a beer to that able over there, and make sure it's cold this time." and then went to sit at the indicated table. Ernie was happy as always to see Lora in high spirits and delivered her beer himself.
Unfortunately one of the human patrons decided to annoy Lora a bit too much, the man drunkenly stood next to her after placing his own beer on the table. "Hey sweetie want to have a good night." Trying to stay friendly Lora turned to him and asked, "Did I say you could call me sweetie? I suggest you walk away."
"That's not what I see you saying in your eyes." he said with a booze ridden laugh, "Come on girl you know that you want a little." he added with a little hip thrust type move, he was so drunk it was hard to tell what he was trying to do.
Lora then stood and and very sternly told the man a second time, "You better get yourself away from me, before you ruin my good mood."
"I'd do as she says if I were you." quipped one of the waiters who knew Lora. "Shut up you're not the boss of me, bitch." he stammered pushing Lora with one hand, big mistake. Now really angry Lora grabbed the man's beer bottle and smashed it across his face shattering it and cutting the man's face quite badly as well as knocking him to the floor semi-conscious. The sound caused the entire bar to go dead quiet as Lora looked around to see if the drunk had any friends with him. Since she had clearly stopped the party dead, Lora dropped the intact half of the glass bottle and headed for the door, "Sorry about that." she apologized to Ernie, who was fetching a first aid kit, in a nonchalant tone. As she turned to go home no longer in the mood for drinking, another man came up to her and handed her an envelope and just told her to "Read it" before dissappearing into an oncoming crowd. Lora ducked into an alley and read the note, ~Great I need a job~ she thought to herself before stepping back out to hail a taxi and get to the location from the note.

John
04-09-2010, 07:16 AM
Normally Caitlyn liked Thursdays. She did as she always did, standing behind the counter of Pandora’s Box. the hottest brothel in all of New Orleans. She wore her white lace blouse, tight fitting black jeans, a pair of black leather boots, and her black silk gloves. Usually today wasn’t very busy, just the regulars coming in on their lunch breaks. It was a day when Caitlyn didn’t schedule as many girls due to the alck of traffic in and out fo the club.

But today, a football team from a visiting university had shown up and Caitlyn was woefully understaffed. She had managed to track down a few girls to come in and help her out, but there were still a few that wanted servicing. Right now, Caitlyn was talking into the phone trying to track down every prostitute that worked for the Guerrero family. And right now, one of the football players was making a pass at her. By far, it was one of the most trying days she had had in a long time. And normally Caitlyn liked Thursdays.

“Aw come on baby,” the footbal player glared at Caitlyn. “The name’s Harley, and I’ll give you a really good ride.”

“I bet you would sugar,” Caitlyn purred the words at him, bringing a hand up to his cheek. “But right now I don’t have the time. Just be patient.” Caitlyn gave Harley a seductive smile. Truth was she wanted to punch him in the face. All of the football players had been pretty rowdy and had given her a headache. And there was also the fact that she didn’t fuck the clients herself. That was what the whores were for.

Harley went back to his friends and Caitlyn continued to call for more girls. It was then that a man approached the counter and gave Caitlyn an envelope with a red seal on it. She signed for the letter, taking it form the courier and continued to work on the phone.

Finally, by twelve thirty, all the players on the team had been attended to and Caitlyn had a chance to relax. She only had a minute before she had to leave, needing to drop off the weeks take to Reina. But still, a little rest was better than none at all. Plus it would give her a chance to check out that letter she got form the courier. Opening it, she took a minute to read it over. She found it strange that someone she knew nothing about would contact her for a job. It definitely warranted discussion with Reina. Reaching for the briefcase under the counter, Caitlyn grabbed her red leather jacket and purse, and headed for her car to make the drive to see Reina

-xXx-

Caitlyn walked towards the couch, and Reina, briefcase in hand. Halting in front of the large ornate coffee table, Caitlyn placed the briefcase on it and smiled at Reina.

“Hola Doña. Happy Thursday.” Caitlyn spoke happily.

Reina lounged in a criminally bored fashion, eyeing the case with mild interest.

" I'm sure my darling husband will be most pleased to see this." she said, voice dripped with sarcasm.

“Well it was a very good week,” Caitlyn’s tone became almost playful. “There is more than normal you know. Or at least, I think there is,” Caitlyn looked up almost absentmindedly. “I’m so bad with numbers,” she grinned, staring at Reina. “I just can’t remember if I put an extra fifty in there or not.”

" That's what accountants are for." Reina quipped, nodding slightly.

“Absolutely,” Caitlyn smiled, reaching into her jacket. When she pulled out her hand, she was holding an envelope with a red seal.

“I was wondering if I could talk to you about something.” The smile faded from Caitlyn’s face and she took on more of a submissive tone.

Reina eyed the envelope now, slightly more interested.

" Oh?”

“I got this by courier today,” Caitlyn handed the envelope towards Reina. “I thought you should see it.”

Reina accepted the envelope and scanned over it's contents quickly, then handed it back.

" Adderson is a business man. Old guy but good. He does imports/exports. Can't see why he'd need you."

“Well that’s just it.” Caitlyn looked concerned. I can’t understand what he would want with me either. Unless it was for a job of some kind. What else do you we know about him? What kind of ties does he have?” Caitlyn’s voice was calm.

Reina shrugged, her face and mind falling blank.

" Old ones."

Caitlyn stared blankly at Reina for a minute, before moving a little closer. She definitely needed more information than that.

“I’m sorry, but what do you mean?”

" Old ones." Reina repeated simply. " Old world, old rules, old ties."

Caitlyn started to feel a little uneasy. She didn’t like the sounds of that. Especially if it meant what she thought it might. If it meant that, things could turn out very badly for her.

“Do you think I should go?” Caitlyn tilted her head to the side and looked at Reina curiously.

Reina smiled. " A job is a job, sweetie. You can always say no... Adderson is very legit... straight-laced if you will."

A part of Caitlyn wanted Reina to say no. It would have made things far easier. But despite her feelings at the moment, she was more than a little intrigued.

“And your cut?” Caitlyn smiled at Reina. She knew full well that Reina would want a piece of the action. Caitlyn just hoped it wouldn’t be too big of a piece, given that she would be working for someone else.

" Just... keep me informed." Reina said, expression blank.

“Um…okay,” Caitlyn looked confused. There was something Reina wasn’t telling her, and it was bothering Caitlyn. She didn’t like not knowing and couldn’t understand what Reina was playing at.

“I suppose we all have our secrets to keep,” Caitlyn smiled. “I shall keep you informed then. Was there anything you wanted me to take care of before I go?”

Reina shook her head, going back to lounging. " Have a nice day."

Caitlyn turned to make her way out of the living room and head to the Adderson building. The conversation with Reina had not gone quite as well as she expected it to. But still, Caitlyn had a job coming her way, and at least that would give her a break from the brothel and the whores she had to run for a little while. Perhaps it would even call upon her to use her real talents, something Reina rarely saw a use for. Stopping at her car, a two thousand and eight black Chevy Camaro, Caitlyn took out her cell phone and dialled.

“It’s Caitlyn,” her tone was serious. “I have something I need to attend to and won’t be coming back today. Keep everything in order. And keep Marlena away from the booze! I don’t want a replay of last time!” Caitlyn listened to the answer and then ended the call. Sliding into the driver’s seat, she started up the car and sped off in the direction of the Adderson Building.

-xXx-

Traffic was fairly heavy and the trip acorss town took more time than it should have. Just one more thing to add to the frustration Caitlyn was feling with the days events. The problems at work, not to mention Reina’s suspicious behaviour were driving her close to the limits of her patience. But still, she was on time for the meeting with Adderson, so it wasn’t all bad.

Caitlyn found a parking spot out front of the building and immediately reached into the glove compartment. She pulled out her Browning and placed it inside her leather jacket. She also removed a traffic ticket, which she had gotten from a police officer who was very happy at one of the parties she had supplied the entertainment for, and a pen. Filling in the date on the ticket, she replaced the pen and got out of the car, placing the ticket under the windshield wiper blade of the car. Locking the car, Cailynn heade up the stairs and into the building.

Once inside, Caitlyn quickly found the man called Mister Jeffs. He led her to an elevator and she got out on the top floor. Jeffs led her to an office and, holding the door open for her, motioned for Caitlyn ot go inside. As she entered the office, her eyes immediately fell on Chandra and the woman with her wearing an oversized hoodie. She leered at Chandra for a moment, then took a quick note of the others who had arrived, giving the short woman a wry smile. She next took a moment to observe the sword in the glass case. It was shiny and didn’t appear to be made of iron or silver. The blade had more shine to it and wasn’t as reflective as it would have been if made of steel. Caitlyn couldn’t help wonder what she had gotten herself into.

Without a word she walked over to Chandra, smiling at the other woman as she noticed that her hood had fallen back slightly. Caitlyn could clearly see the ears poking through her hair and turned to Chandra.

“What the fuck are you doing here?” Caitlyn’s stare was cold and her voice reflected no emotion whatsoever. She couldn’t help feeling it was a little strange that Chandra would be here. And standing in a strange room with someone whom she technically considered to be an enemy wasn’t high on Caitlyn’s list of things she would most like to do.

Chandra’s stance changed subtly and her face hardened.

" Looking for work." she answered matter-of-factly.

“Oh really?” Caitlyn’s expression was blank and she stared directly into Chandra’s eyes. “I’m surprised someone like you would need to look for work. What’s wrong, not everything as rosy as you would like people to believe?”

Chandra glared back, growling a bit.

" Mind your own business."

“I’m sorry,” Caitlyn gave a facetious smile. “I didn’t mean to imply anything. I just hear things in my line of work from time to time.”

Chandra returned the fake smile, her eyes hard.

" I imagine you must hear all kinds of things."

“And what exactly is that supposed to mean?” Caitlyn’s eyes narrowed.

" Exactly what it sounds like." Chandra's eyes flicked to Cici and the others in the room. " Look. Let's be civil here. I don't think either of us wants a lot of attention right now."

“Fine,” the smile faded from Caitlyn’s face. “I deserved that.” her tone became hushed “But you have to admit it’s a little strange for the two of us to be here. How do I know this isn’t a set up and you’re not going to put a bullet in my head? And you might want to tell your friend to fix her hood.”

Chandra blinked and glanced at Cici, then whistled quickly. The girl adjusted her hood and smiled bashfully before ducking over to the sword in the glass case.

" The thought has crossed my mind." she whispered back, watching Caitlyn. " How do I know this isn't a set up on your part?"

Caitlyn reached inside her jacket, removing the envelope with her gloved hand and motioned for Chandra to take it.

“Because I wouldn’t send this to myself,” Caitlyn whispered looking at Chandra curiously. “Not to mention I have really no idea who this Adderson is?”

" Me neither." Chandra admitted honestly, pulling her letter out as well. " And Cici got one too."

“Okay then,” Caitlyn placed the envelope back in her jacket. “So what do you think? A new player maybe?”

" Too early to tell." Chandra shrugged. Then she smiled slyly. " But he must really have his finger on the pulse, if you catch my drift." She gestured between the two of them.

“So an alliance then?” Caitlyn smiled. “You know I’m not a killer. A pimp? Yes. A thief? Definitely. But I don’t kill unless I have to. And I also appear to be a little outnumbered,” Caitlyn nodded at Cici. “Not to mention I don’t recognize the others here.”

" An alliance sounds good." Chandra said, offering her hand. She ignored the other comments.

“Agreed,” Caitlyn shook Chandra’s hand. She knew that she would be able to trust Chandra, despite their “family” differences. And right now, Caitlyn needed somebody on her side.

(co op with Gypsy)

Higurashi
04-09-2010, 04:22 PM
Zev walked out of the shower and toweled his hair dry. He left the rest of his body to air dry as he preformed his morning exercises in the large open area of his apartment. Today he was practicing close quarter comabt techniques. He had already learned them so that he could do them in his sleep, quite literally in fact. He had gotten his black belt in at least one form of Tai-qwan-do while sleeping. It was now a mere morning ritual that he preformed to arm up for the day. Most other mortal bodies would collapse in the first minute and a half. He went on for about half an hour and hadn't even broken a sweat. Finally, he finished, got dress in his usual formal outfit, and went outside to check his mail. Of course, the only mail he ever got as for job offers, except for to day... He had gotten a letter from a certain Bartholomew Anderson. He quickly read over it and looked at the clock. it read two fifteen. Oh dear, he thought before racing to his car and driving all the way across town. When he reached the office it was 2:55 and he had to wait a couple of minutes to be admited. He payed the other two in the room no attention. He did however, notice the little girl ith the hood on. Faintly, there was a speck of a cat ear sticking out from under her hood. He pulled out his gun, put it to her head, and pulled the trigger all in one motion..... Nothing happened. Oh damn I forgot to load the gun...

mere
04-10-2010, 03:45 PM
Donovan placed the patient's file back into the filing cabinet and locked the drawer. He returned to his desk and sat down on the leather wheeled chair. Looking down at the large semi-circular desk, he noticed how silent it was in the large interior of the room. He rifled through one the drawers at came out with a large stack of CD cases. He glanced at the spines of each one and saw that his collection varied much. Something he had never heard before. Sum 41, A Hero A Fake, Lostprophets, The Script. He kept searching until he found a couple of albums by The Classic Crime, and picked up one case titled “Albatross”.

“Hmm, thought I lost this.”

He opened the case and carefully placed the disk into the stereo beside his printer and adjusted the volume. He placed his thumb over the play button and pressed it, almost immediately hearing an announcers voice introducing the band. Soon, the band began playing and Donovan surprisingly remembered the wonderful music. The song was titled The Fight. He spun in circles in his chair, just slow enough so he didn't feel nauseous. Donovan felt relaxed in his small paradise. He turned the back of the chair towards the desk and through the shining windows observed the city of New Orleans. The song changed to Flight of Kings and Donovan began trying to hum along to the tune of the song, failing at the task. He sighed and suddenly began to feel hungry.

“Damn, shouldn't have worked through lunch.”

Donovan walked back to his desk, left hand in his pocket, and turned off the stereo as it began to play Who Needs Air.

“I've got to find time to listen to this again.”

He grabbed his keys and left his office, locking the door behind him and walked toward the cafeteria to eat a late lunch. Donovan swung open the door leading to the cafeteria and said hello to multiple doctors and nurses as they walked past him, and proceeded to the front of the room where the workers received their meals.

“Nice to see you, Donovan,” the young, healthy woman behind the counter said to him.

“Hello, Sara. How are you today?”

“Fine, and you?”

“Hungry,” Donovan spoke, averting his eyes away from Sara.

The woman giggled and turned around quickly, observing the scene before her. A couple of workers where talking and eating sandwiches,unknowing that they where being watched. She turned back to Donovan and asked what he would like.

“Hmm, how about a Pastrami, Swiss, and bacon on an Italian sub.” Donovan said, thinking about the delecious food item.

“Bacon?” Sara said, narrowing her eyes.

“Are you going to doubt my eating habits? Are you saying that bacon can't be delicious on a Pastrami and Swiss?”

“I- uh- no. I just-” Sara stammered.

Donovan laughed and started to calm Sara. “ Kidding, kidding. You need to learn to lighten up, or life won't be much fun.

Sara rolled her eyes and walked back to the kitchen. Donovan turned around and noticed the spread out individuals spread out across the room, some chatting with others or just enjoying their food. Looking around, he noticed his partner, Doctor Reed, typing a report on his laptop while nibbling on a small sub. He turned back to the view of the kitchen and waited a moment for Sara to return with his late lunch.

“Here you go.” She handed his plate and meal and he walked over to where his partner sat and took a seat.

“How's it going?” Donovan asked.

“Nearly finished, just looking back and seeing if I forgot anything.” He removed his hands from the keyboard and took another bite of his sandwich , then setting it back down on it's plate. Donovan did the same and a small smile formed on his lips.

“Did you get any info on how Ryan is doing.” Reed asked.

“Kavuruso?” Donovan said, confused.

“Yes.” Reed said, quickly.

Before Donovan could answer, one of the cafeteria doors swung open and a small, round women walked to Donovan and handed him a letter.

“This just arrived, and I think it's important.”

Donovan thanked the woman and tore open the letter, pulling out the piece of paper inside and read it carefully. “Psh, another job offer.”

“Let me see.” Reed took the letter from Donovan's hands and read it aloud.

“Hey, I've heard this name before. Some huge businessman or something.”

Donovan looked at Reed, even more confused. “What could he want with me?”

“You're going to find out,” Reed grinned.

Donovan walked through the streets, keeping an eye on everything as if anything could harm him, and anything could. His walk turned into a jog and he turned the corner to his destination. He opened one of the doors at walked towards the receptionist, feeling his fists begin to clench. He showed the receptionist the letter and she turned to a tall, intimidating man with a blank expression. The man walked with Donovan towards the elevator, and pushed one of the buttons, opening the door. They both entered and Donovan began to sweat lightly. He was uncomfortable and was relieved when the elevator doors opened and he could step out. His unease immediately returned when he saw someone pointing a weapon at a child. He took a step back and quickly moved around the gunman, placing himself next to to a couple others. This already wasn't good.

The Gypsy Queen
04-10-2010, 05:29 PM
Chandra had been staying quiet, nodding to each newcomer as they entered the room, but when one of them pulled out a gun and aimed it at Cici, she barely managed to squeak a "no" at the gunman before Cici reacted.

First, there was the tiny fraction of a second when Cici's head snapped to the gunman, catlike eyes dilating fully as she took in the large man. Her hood fell down completely and her ears were strained forward, twitching slightly as she listened. In the time it took Chandra to blink, the small girl had jerked to the side and was crouching on the ground, listening to the pistol click uselessly. The catgirl's blank expression faded into a smile as she realized what Chandra realized - he had just pulled a gun out that wasn't loaded.

In spite of the fear welling in her throat, Chandra couldn't help but wonder what kind of rank amateur this guy was.

" Cici-" Chandra started, but the smaller girl was already moving. She shot forward and tackled the gunman at the waist with enough force to land him on his back with a thud and hack as the air rushed out of his lungs. She had no weapons, Chandra wouldn't let her bring any, but what Chandra had seen her small adopted daughter do with her bare hands was frightening enough. In less than a second, Cici had her attacker on his stomach and was sitting on the small of his back, using her hands to restrain his arms at a very awkward angle behind his back. There was a small cracking noise, and Chandra took the moment to rush forward and grab Cici.

" Cici, stop, you're gonna break his arm!"

“So let her,” Caitlyn smiled as she drew her weapon and pointed it at the man’s head. “It’s far less than what he deserves.”

Chandra ignored Caitlyn and grabbed at Cici as another small crack sounded from the man's arm, hauling her off. " This is not a good way to start a job interview." she scolded, then glared at Caitlyn. " You brought a gun?! Put that away before they throw us out!"

She glared down at the gunman, and judging my his arm, Cici had fractured it at the very least. " Serves you right. It's bad manners to pull guns on people."

Cici picked that exact moment to burst into tears and try to climb up Chandra, wailing. Chandra nodded at yet another new arrival as she tried to quiet Cici. Caitlyn holstered her gun again, while Cici sniffled.

Lethe
04-10-2010, 07:02 PM
Although disinclined to admit such things, this was not the first time that Brie had heard the crackling sound of living bone tissue being splintered and broken. It was not a particularly agreeable noise, but then the man had brought the injury upon himself. The hybrid had done absolutely nothing to provoke the attack. She wondered if the fool had something against all hybrids. Perhaps he hated members of her race as well. The short statured woman remained in her seat, loath to get involved, or to draw unnecessary attention to herself. After all, the human would live. He hadn’t received a particularly grievous or life threatening wound. Brie sincerely hoped the man would learn his lesson and not again resort to senseless violence.

Brie glanced over at the hybrid in the oversized hoodie that hung down to her knees. The poor girl appeared to be unharmed. For this Brie was grateful. In her estimation, Cici had used amazing restraint. She could have quite easily killed the foolish man, ridding the world of another source of hatred and violence. Had the young woman with the dark, wavy hair not intervened, things might have taken a turn for the worse.

Brie’s job interview for her current position at the museum had gone much differently. The museum director had spent some time reviewing her curriculum vitæ before asking a few simple questions related to her schooling and former job experience. Everything discussed had been relevant. Everything had proceeded in an orderly fashion. Immediately following the interview, she had been offered tea and then been invited to a luncheon to meet the museum’s board of directors. No cryptic invitations had been issued. No one had drawn a gun. No one’s body had been unceremoniously slammed to the floor. No shouting had occurred. No bones had been broken.

Not far away, the hybrid girl was sobbing, evidently traumatized by the entire ordeal. Brie could feel the level of tension in the room rising. If two of the others present had brought weapons, could not things escalate into something even more disastrous? The elusive Mr. Bartholomew Adderson had yet to grace the room with his presence. It was looking as though this whole pseudo-interview had been a horrible mistake. The invitation she had received must have been intended for some other individual. It certainly could not have been meant for her.

Surely no one would notice if she were to quietly slip out of the room.

Higurashi
04-10-2010, 09:45 PM
Zev barely even felt the cracks in his lower arm. He simply picked up his gun after getting to his feet. He simply stared at the small creature that had injured him. He should have reacted faster, he decided. Article 4 sec. 7 of A man with his gun: NEVER stay in the same position when you pull a gun. He slid the pistol back into it's holster, making sure to load it this time. He had vowed never to try to kill an opponent more than once in a day. He then observed the small creature bawling her eyes out. He was confused by this. He wondered why such a vicious creature was crying after it had defeated him. This thought was subdued after he notice the vicious stare from the two women accomanpying the frail girl. He adjusted his shades and refolded his collar. Both had come undone when she had tackled him. Only then did he notice himself bleeding. He simply pulled his arm so the bone re-inserted itself into the right place. he didnt even flinch at the crunch. His emotions had long been neutralized. He then took a hankercheif out from his pocket and handed it to the small girl, who was practically giving her companion a bath of tears. He then proceeded to lean against a nearby wall. Which groaned in protest at his weight. He did notice the lady trying to leave and shook his head so that she would notice. If she was wanted here she should stay.

Ophelia
04-10-2010, 10:48 PM
The sound of a trigger clicking into an empty barrel echoed in a silent room, and Lola realised that she had been caught off-guard.

She had been perfectly satisfied with sitting quietly in a seat, positioned well-enough to observe the rest of the room silently whilst keeping a polite distance between herself and any other member. It had had the potential to be a demure enough meeting, despite the narrowly-avoided catfight between the flame-haired woman who apparently had it in for the dark haired woman as soon as she set eyes on her. Neither of them had the foresight to give a name to the other, which was slightly inconvienient for Lola, but she supposed she would find out soon enough. It was only as their conversation slipped into hushed tones that Lola found herself automatically straining to catch their exchange.

The small girl, however, was given a name. Cici. Lola hoped the pair didn't catch her as she flicked her eyes over to the small figure in the oversized hoodie. It took her a few seconds to piece the jigsaw together; the smallest glimpse of fur just as a hood swept back over them, the cryptic references that flew back and forth between the two women, and the man-cat-thing sat obliviously listening to music in a nearby seat. A feeling of discomfort sunk into Lola's stomach, not that she had felt particularly comfortable ever since she stepped into the building. She recognised it as a similar feeling to when she visited her mother; vague disgust, a touch of anger, but most of all, that familiar feeling of distrust. Her lips set in a deeper scowl, and turned her attention to a small, compact woman who had somehow crept in the room without Lola noticing. She decided she had been distracted by the drama, rather than a lack of observation skills.

What had been puzzling her most for a good few minutes though was the red-haired woman's reference to being outnumbered, referring to the dark-haired woman and Cici. Numerically, yes, she was outnumbered, but could she really count the young girl as a threat? Lola glanced over the small girl again, who was now fascinating over a ornamental sword in a glass case. She couldn't be more than ten years old. The already fuzzy memory of the flash of cat ears entered her mind, but Lola put it to one side. She was just a small girl. Could she really do that much damage?

She needn't have wondered so much.

Click.

It was a familiar sound that echoed of a past encounter with a unsatisfied customer whose gun she'd luckily had the foresight to unload before they tried to put a round in her chest after realising that their straight offer wasn't as shiny as it seemed.

Luckily for her, she wasn't the one under fire. In the time that it took her to turn her head, the small girl had leapt at the extraordinarily well-built man, and knocked him over with the same ease as if she had knocked over a man half his size. Lola retreated back into her seat in surprise, her knees curling to her chest as if she were afraid that the fight would somehow roll past her feet. It had been a long time since she had been afraid, and longer than that since the situation in question had not directly involved herself. The two women had already taken action- one pulled at Cici's arm in protest, whilst the other aimed her weapon at the assassin's head with a smile.

"Cold." Lola whispered under her breath as Cici was hauled off after a sickening crunch came from the man's arm. She flinched slightly, but afterwards found herself relaxed enough to untense her shoulders. What kind of man fires a gun at a small girl, and then offers her a handkerchief? The whole situation got stranger and stranger as Lola continued to watch it unfold, her mouth gaping slightly. She flicked her gaze over to the short woman, who looked as unsettled as Lola felt. Managing to catch her eye, she shot her an anxious glance and mouthed silently What. Just. Happened?

GraftRaven
04-11-2010, 02:35 AM
Krath heard the commotion and bolted out of his chair, tail straight out, ears and eyes focusing on the source. The situation was over before he had any time to react and he flinched every time the man's arm cracked, the fur all over his body standing on end after the final sickening crunch. He took stock of all the people who had entered thus far, two standing out to him. One was the female hybrid and the other was the woman she was with, Krath recognized her from some digging he had done to uncover the source of most of his work, she was one of the Morettis.

He lowered the volume on his iPod, his ear flicking in annoyance, before walking over to the group. By this time nearly all his fur had returned to normal and his tail was not nearly as stiff, but was still fluffed out. "I would have hoped not to see such behavior from people i am likely to have to work with..." He said, rather flatly, to the man who had drawn the gun as his eyes caught the light and shone more red than usual. By this time Cici's crying was starting to get to him and his right ear, which did not have an earbud in it, began to twitch with her sobs. He resisted the urge to tell her off for reacting badly to a good instinct, but only just. His left hand drifted toward the pocket where he kept a switchblade just in case he needed it.

(i am using my ancient desktop while my mom's not home... just so you know i still can't be back every night yet ._.)

Higurashi
04-11-2010, 02:48 AM
Zev stares blankly at the hybrid which had just presented itself. He thought for awhile about killing him. But he saw the thing reach for its pocket and instinctively knew it contained a deadly blade. He assumed that he would never make it through pulling out his gun before a major aretery was evered. He also considered the fact that his arm was fractured and mostly inoperable. He just grimaced and nodded his head. The thing had said something about working together. Zev decided to bide his time and figure out what was going on. He then thought of how the Agent's would react to him not going by his schedule. More than likely they would come for him and most if not all of these people would die. It was a sobering thought. It was possible that they would take the little one in for testing, but most certainly the other were doomed. He made a decision. He held out his hand in the indication of a handshake to the scum.

John
04-11-2010, 11:10 PM
Caitlyn smiled at Chandra, placing her hands in her pockets. Chandra was right that bringing a gun to an interview was not the best idea. But Caitlyn thought it seemed prudent. After all, she knew nothing about Adderson and couldn’t shake the feeling that this was all a set up. For Caitlyn, that meant one thing, it was time to learn a little more about the people who were here. And she had already found a good place to start.

The short woman kept drawing Caitlyn’s attention. To see someone like that, someone who was so different from all the others, made her quite curious. Walking over to the woman, Caitlyn extended a gloved hand towards her.

“Caitlyn Mackinlay,” Caitlyn smiled and looked at the woman curiously. “I don’t suppose you know what this is about?”

The tiny woman was caught in the act of shaking her head in wonder in response to the unspoken question asked of her by the young woman with braided hair. She turned quickly to gaze at the outstretched gloved hand in front of her. Brie followed the arm upwards until her eyes met the penetrating gaze of the woman who had just introduced herself. Awkwardly, Brie slid off the chair and rose to her feet. After transferring her cane to her opposite hand, she very gingerly clasped Caitlyn’s gloved fingers. She had to be cautious when shaking hands with members of another race. The Dwarven tendency was to squeeze much too tightly, because a firm handshake and lively slap on the back were often customary when greeting members of her own people.

“Ah. Yes, yes. Very much a pleasure to meet you, Ms. Mackinlay. I suppose it is my turn for introductions. I’m Brie Etienne from the New Orleans Museum of History and Art.”

Brie carefully let go of Caitlyn’s hand. “To be entirely honest, I am at somewhat of a loss. Hmm. I have no idea whatsoever as to what this is all about or why we were all invited here.”

“Please, call me Caitlyn,” Caitlyn giggled, slapping Brie on the back. “And you work at the museum? That sounds fascinating. It seems that it would be a lot more interesting than my current line of work. So what do you do at the museum exactly?” Caitlyn stared at Brie curiously. Brie definitely wasn’t the type of person she expected would be working in a museum. But of course Caitlyn knew better than to judge a book by it’s cover.

Brie’s eyes widened as the woman slapped her heartily on the back. In all her days around humans, she had never received such an enthusiastic greeting. It was most unexpected. There was no way that this woman before her could be a Dwarf, or even part Dwarf. Surely, Brie would have sensed such a thing. Still, for some reason she felt a bit more at ease around this unusual person.

“I see. Ah. I shall call you Caitlyn then, of course.” Brie used her right hand to smooth her dress. “Working in a museum can be fascinating work. Well, at least to me it is. What do I do at the museum? Ah, let me see. A little of this; a little of that. I’m primarily an archivist, although I’ve also some experience as a curator. That means I’m in charge of organizing and keeping records on various historical collections.” Brie paused, worried that she was rambling. Although her job at the museum was of extreme interest to her, over time she had learned that the rest of the world often had a much different point of view.

“Oh I love history,” Caitlyn smiled. “I have a bit of an interest in the Aztecs. I find it all so fascinating. But you’re an archivist? I guess a job like that would suit someone like you.” Caitlyn was finding Brie quite fascinating. She didn’t get much time to talk to people with a brain. And the few times she did, it was mostly men who were looking to get laid. But then that was men, usually thinking with the wrong head. Quite frankly, it was a refreshing change from the norm.

“And don’t worry, I would love to hear more,” Caitlyn stared at Brie curiously.

Brie’s jaw nearly gaped open in astonishment. How had the seemingly carefree woman in front of her immediately sensed that she had been self conscious about sharing too much information about her responsibilities at the museum? It was uncanny. Other individuals were rarely this perceptive. First there was the slap on the back, and now this new development. This was far too much to be merely coincidental. Brie wanted to get to the bottom of this. Yet she didn’t want to ask anything that might be perceived as discourteous to the only person here who had taken the initiative to speak with her.

The tiny woman cleared her throat. “Mmm, yes. I would of course be happy to share more about the museum’s artwork, exhibits, and collections. But first, may I ask something of you, Caitlyn. What, ah, is your line of work exactly?”

“Well,” Caitlyn began, lowering her voice so that only Brie could hear. “It’s nothing as fascinating as what you do. I arrange, shall we say, entertainment for gentlemen. It’s not something I like to talk about a lot. Most people get the wrong impression of me. But it has helped me a lot in life. I’ve learned how to read people. Body language. Tone of voice. Most people tend not understand how much they actually say by keeping silent or by trying to hide their words.” Caitlyn was hoping Brie wouldn’t make the assumption that people usually made. She wasn’t a whore. Though she was often perceived as one due to her line of work.

“But I would be more than happy to answer any questions you might have for me,” Caitlyn gave Brie a friendly smile. “As I am hoping you will answer any of mine.”

The tiny archivist gave Caitlyn as much of her attention as possible, despite being in a room where some fool had drawn an unloaded gun only a few minutes earlier. She weighed Caitlyn’s words carefully. Not being a human herself, Brie didn’t share the same preconceptions and judgmental tendencies that the majority of humans had. In fact, it seemed to Brie that Caitlyn was both perceptive and resourceful.

Brie nodded thoughtfully. “Your line of work must make you privy to, hmmm, a vast amount of significant information. I’m sure that you have a great many important connections and influential, ah, business relationships.” The diminutive woman thought aloud, “Do you think perhaps that may be why you have been invited to this interview?”

“I suppose it’s possible,” Caitlyn considered Bree’s words. It certainly was a good explanation of why she might be here, apart form her other skills. It would also explain why Chandra was here. But it didn’t help her to determine what role the others had to play in this.

“But I’m hoping our host arrives soon. I’m sure everything will be explained then.”

(co op with Lethe)

Lerouge
04-12-2010, 12:55 AM
Hamza's dark blue eyes stared down at the rotating blade of the dagger that he was twirling around his fingers causing it to circle dangerously close to his skin without causing any actual harm. It was a simple trick he had learned as a boy and yet it was one of the favorite's for the crowd that was standing in front of, most of which gasped on occasion when he would toss one into the air and allow and arch of flames to appear above him and then float slowly down and disappear into nothing. Purely cosmetic? Of course, but the sound of money being tossed in the small top hat that lay before him was all that he needed.

With one final toss his fingers released both daggers he had been working with and tossed them into the air rotating the hands they were in before he began again. He flipped them from hand to hand, an old fashioned juggling act, and the blades continued to flash red sparks before him. A mini light show, getting more and more distinct as he continued the flame keeping it's form in the shape of a circle. Sweet could be seen dripping from his forehead and with one gasps he grabbed the handles of his blades and pulled them back, daggers in his grasp, and slashed forward through the flames which separated into an explosion, a cloud of black smoke rising with still sparkling flame inside it falling down over the audience. It was raining fire and Hamza felt like the sun as he watched the audience stare up in awe as the sparks disappeared as it reached down to the group. The next thing you knew there was a roar of cheers as he bowed to the crowd.

Trust. Such a fickle thing. They invited him to their group as a friend all because he was able to make pretty lights. Humans were so fickle and therefore his favorite target. One by one his hand would meet with each individual and his finger would slip into a pocket or a purse and find that which made the world go round. Money... true happiness in his eyes.

It was already a few hours later and he was two towns away counting his spoils and enjoyed a drink. It was like Christmas, or what remained of this forgotten holiday, to him on a regular basis. Hamza sat and flipped through the cash he had counting quietly to himself when he saw a flash that wasn't the familiar color of the others. At first he ignored it, then as he went back and looked at the folded envelope hidden among the money.

"Did I steal someone's mail?" He wondered as he retrieved it and placed the rest of the cash away. The white envelope was folded in half and he slowly pulled it apart to try and see the name on the paper. Amazingly it read Hamza and he his eyes widened to see what the rest of the envelope said.

Hamza
The Wooden Bench on the side of the Road
New Orleans, Louisiana 70112

"Okay someone has my attention..." He muttered as he flipped open the envelope and began to read.

“Dear Mr. Hamza

Sincerely,
Bartholomew Adderson”

His eyes flashed over the letter repeatedly trying to take it all in as his mind spun slightly around the situation.

"A Job? For me? I don't understand who..." His voice stammered for a moment and he rested the letter down on the table. Hamza was not a recorded individual in this country, how could someone even know who he was. "Well... I guess I can't really ignore this... how frustrating." He continued much more calmy now the hint of amusement in his voice as he packed up his things. "Now Paris Street... that's not too far from here"

The building was a good few hour walk from where he originally was and his mind was racing the entire way here of what he was to expect once he got there. The place itself seemed rather normal to the eye, busy people running back and forth from point A to B... how silly. He walked up to the receptionist table and with a flash of the letter he was directed to an elevator and led to the top floor of the building. He noticed at once after he was directed to the office that he was not alone, there was at least a half a dozen people there all staring at him.

Tamza blinked curiously at the people and gave a smirk, did someone say golden opportunity? He put on his best innocent face and gave a gentle bow to the group. "Hi... seems I'm late for the party?"

GraftRaven
04-12-2010, 01:34 AM
Krath's eyes flashed down at the offered hand, then back up at the man's face. He could tell that he didn't like him but he shook hands anyway, the pads on his fingers rasping slightly against the skin on the man's hand. "Wish i could could say it was nice to meet you. My name's Niveus... and yours is?" He had decided to use his alias because it couldn't be tracked anywhere.

Krath noticed the other woman with a gun talking to the rather stout woman who had come in a bit earlier, they seemed to be rather involved in their conversation. At that moment another new arrival came in looking rather suspicious and introducing himself. A second later red liquid began to seep down the tube in the back of his head and flowing into the bag at his hip. As this happened his limbs twitched and his eyes flicked back and forth uncontrollably. "You have got to be kidding..." He managed to get out before collapsing into a chair and going limp; he would need to rest for a bit, but he would be alright.

Lord Tully
04-13-2010, 12:22 AM
After a suspiciously lengthy taxi ride Lora arrived at the Adderson Building just before 3:00. She distastefully tossed the driver's fee at him through the window in the form of a small ball of wadded up bills and walked up the steps ignoring the driver's rude comment. She walked right up to the receptionist and told her about the letter, "I'm here to see Mister Adderson about the job he offered." she told the girl showing her the letter. The receptionist turned on an intercom behind her desk, "Mister Jeffs another one here to see Mr. Adderson in the lobby."
~Another?~ Lora thought as a large man came to escort her to the top floor of the building to Bartholomew Adderson's office, "The boss is here." Mr. Jeffs told her pointing to the door, Lora smirked and thanked the man before going into the office.

The Gypsy Queen
04-16-2010, 03:28 AM
Chandra had just calmed Cici down when a door in the side of the room she hadn't noticed opened. It had been designed in the same mahogany paneling of the rest of the wall, so it was nearly invisible. The man that stepped throughout immediately commanded the attention of everyone in the room. He was of medium height and slight build, and walked with a limp and the assistance of a cane, with an elegant silver hand designed like an eagle's head. He wore a dapper gray suit with a red tie and a silver pocket watch chain. His skin was the strange translucence that comes only with great age, but he had very few wrinkles. His hair was ashen blonde, so fair it was nearly silver, and his eyes were a startling ghost blue.

Even Cici, ever hyperactive and childlike, scurried to her chair next to Chandra and sat with back straight and ears forward, polite and attentive.

The man reached the large mahogany desk as everyone sat down in front of it. He stood at the chair for a moment before smiling at the group.

" Hello, everyone. Thank you so much for coming on such short notice." he began. " My name is Bartholomew Adderson, and as I mentioned in the letters you each received, I have asked you here to discuss with you an employment opportunity. I would like to offer each of you a particular position in a particular organization. But in order for you to fully understand those positions, I need to tell you a story. I hope you will oblige an old man's ramblings." Mr. Adderson sat at his desk and folded his hands.

" A long time ago, when I was a young man, I was sent to war. While I was at war, I saw things. Things that no one believed I saw. Things I didn't believe I'd seen. Things so fantastic, so amazing, so... otherworldly, most people I told thought I was crazy. I thought I was crazy. Until one day, an individual approached me, not unlike I approached you, and offered me a job with amazing pay, and for a former soldier, things like that were hard to come by. This individual believed what I had seen. I accepted, and was given a position in the Sheridan Agency.

" My colleagues and I were given jobs that no one else wanted, not even the police. Strange jobs. Dangerous jobs. We performed a variety of services. Sometimes we were bodyguards, couriers, messengers, investigators. Often we were asked to find certain things... sometimes people. And more often than not, something about those jobs was... different. Strange. Amazing. Time passed and the Phage broke out. During the evacuation we were forced to disband the Agency, and I have not seen my colleagues since. I used the money I earned while in the Agency's employ to build my company, so as you can see my compensation was substantial. And now in my old age, nothing would please me more than to see the Agency reborn. I believe, as I'm sure you will come to believe as well, that the services the Agency performs are necessary for the world as we know it to continue. I am sure you will come to see why.

" I chose each of you myself, from thousands of recommendations, and each of you was selected for not only your skills and references, but also for your personality. The work I am offering takes a certain kind of person, and I believe each of you has the necessary traits. As I mentioned in the notes, you will be well payed should you chose to accept my offer."

The side door opened again and this time Mr. Jeffs stepped through, hulking and silent, and passed out large manila envelopes to everyone. Chandra opened hers and found a small booklet with the words SHERIDAN AGENCY HANDBOOK printed on the front, as well as a paper labeled CONTRACT. It was a contract for six months of work, she noted, and the section labeled for compensation had a number with more zeroes behind it than she had fingers. Her eyes got big.

Cici watched her, ears back. The small girl hadn't opened hers, handing it to Chandra instead.

" Each of you will find a handbook and a contract for six months work. This contract is more for you than me. If you choose to leave the agency before six months that will be fine by me, but I wanted to make sure that you understood what I am offering you. You will note that this includes your six month salary, which will be paid out twice every month, full benefits, room and board if you require it, a fair budget for each of you to make job related purchases. An office with living space above has been provided, as well as an administrative assistant who will see to the day to day needs of the Agency, and will schedule jobs for you.

" Does anyone have any questions so far?"

Chandra lifted her hand, laying the handbook and contract in her lap.

" Um, sir, with all due respect... you're offering a whole lot of money and other stuff and it seems like a good deal... but you haven't said exactly what it is we're expected to do." she said quietly, cheeks reddening slightly at the attention.

" Excellent point, Ms. Moretti." Mr. Adderson said, frowning when Chandra squirmed. " I apologize, would you prefer Ms. Clark instead?" Chandra nodded. " Of course, Ms. Clark. I have not said exactly what it is you are expected to do, because the Sheridan Agency will take on a variety of clients that will require a variety of jobs. This may include driving, investigating, finding things, computer skills... I trust your instincts on how best to approach each client's request, and I am confident that every possible skill needed is available in this room."

Mr. Adderson stood, leaning heavily on his cane.

" Are there any other questions? If not it would be my pleasure to accompany you to the office."

John
04-16-2010, 06:53 AM
The moment Jeffs handed her the envelope, Caitlyn immediately tore it open and started to look through the handbook. The table of contents was very general and the book had no index. It seemed to be a book regarding investigation techniques, as well as information on all manner of fantastical creatures and cultural references. Caitlyn smiled, amused by all this, and continued to read. The book contained a list of acceptable gifts to give a dragon. As well as a section a section about “usual suspect monsters.”

Caitlynfound this section to be a little more intriguing. It made mention of a great many things from out of nightmares. Several races of vampires, werewolves, demons, ghosts, insane mages, and a particularly over enthusiastic gnome testing a theory on geothermal physics. Closing the book, Stephanie smiled and raised a finger at Mister Adderson, indicating that he should wait a moment. Caitlyn had questions to be sure. And as he had finished with Chandra’s, she wanted a chance to ask a few of her own before walking headlong into what could certainly be a dangerous situation.

Pulling the contract from the envelope, Caitlyn perused it. Her eyes glistened slightly at the dollar amount in the compensation box. It was a lot of money, and given that Reina didn’t want a cut, Caitlyn could keep it all. There was no fine print and even made mention of a payment to the next of kin of one million francs; as well as paying all funeral expenses in the event that something unfortunate should happen. It was all very straightforward. Caitlyn would be a fool not to sign this. But she would also be a fool not to ask any questions.

Caitlyn glanced over a Chandra and Cici. Chandra seemed to be most interested in the money and the room and board that was being offered. Cici on the other hand, was far more innocent. She was like a child with images of butterflies in her head. Caitlyn couldn’t help thinking that the things they were going to be asked to do would take away that innocence and she wondered just how far Chandra would go for this job.

“Mister Adderson,” Caitlyn smiled, her voice sounding cheerful. “Who exactly are these clients? They obviously have a lot of money, and I can’t help wondering what type of people they are.” Stephanie tilted her head to the side and gave Adderson a curious look.

“It seems from this,” Caitlyn held up the book. “That you want us to be monster hunters. Even if I believed in such things, I fail to see what use I could be to you.” Of course Caitlyn knew what use she could provide. It would be because of her skills as a thief that she was wanted. It had to be. But she didn’t know just how much Adderson really knew about her, so for now it was best to play it coy.

“And then of course,” Caitlyn held up the contract, snickering a little. “This contract seems too cut and dry. What’s the catch?”

Higurashi
04-16-2010, 11:02 PM
Zev looked blankly at his evelope. He wondered just why he had come here in the first place. It could have just as easily been a trap meant to kill him, and ther were many who wished him dead. He opened the envelope and pulled out the manual. He flipped to the sections detailing combat and tracking technigues. (Extract from Sect. 5: ...You are never to reveal yourself to the target unless absolutely neccesary. This is because it will thereby compromise the information of our buisness. Therefore, you will only be told what you need to know, so as to minimise loss if you are captured. As such, this book must never fall intyo enemy hands. There are many ways to follow your target, but following their aura signature is the mo-...) Aura signature? Whats that? What type of creature would put of a signature that could be tracked? Zev thought. He continued to read. (...-st effective way of tracking them. You can either be trained to track aura or you can use and A-Spec to follow the trail. Look for the specifications of the A-Spec in Sect 9. Zev looked at those around him and spoke for the first time in a deep, rich voice. "Sir, will we be working with each other or dependently?"

GraftRaven
04-17-2010, 01:51 AM
Krath recovered from his bleed as Mr. Adderson came out. He closed the valve on the tube and disconnected the bag, putting it in one of his larger cargo-pockets and pulling a replacement from the opposite pocket, connected that one and hooked it onto his belt. He was handed an envelope and opened it, taking out the contract first, whatever the job was could wait, the terms had to be solid. As he read Krath's tail, which was hanging over the seat of his chair like an absurd third leg, twitched at the end, flicking across the floor in a fan pattern.

The contract seemed almost too good to be true, great pay, great compensation, the only thing missing was a big red bow on top. Krath then took up the handbook and thumbed through the index. Several titles caught his attention including: Supernatural Security Systems and You, which he immediately flipped to quite interested with the notion of a security system created with the use of magic as well as technology.

His ears flicked around the room as questions were asked, finally coming to rest with one on Chandra and Caitlyn, and the other on Mr. Adderson. The question of exactly what they would be doing and if there was any catch to the contract. He decided to add his own question. "You said that living space will be provided, would it be possible to move things that we already have to these new spaces? Also, what would happen to other jobs that we already have?" Krath was already weighed down with the armored SUV order, which Chandra would probably know about, and two software contracts due for the end of the next month.

Lerouge
04-18-2010, 09:10 PM
Hamza took a sudden step to the side of the room as the door be was standing in front of began to creak open. The first thought that came to his mind was that there was going to be more people. Is it possible that each one of us was here for a job interview... well there goes the possibility of having a secure job but I wonder who has the most cash in here. Hamza at first took no notice of the man that had walked in but instead he was busy wandering behind the people in the room and trying to decide where to start. A kid in a candy store.

It was not until he heard the name Bartholomew Adderson that he started paying attention to the new man in the room. As a performer himself he knew when an individual required ones undivided attention and this man radiated power. Even before his story began, Hamza could tell this man was important from just the way his body moved and the way he looked at every person in the room one by one. Something about this man... he felt like he knew him but couldn't put his finger on it... perhaps there are just people that radiate those good vibes that people relate to. Whatever it was Hamza knew he had to listen to each and every word this Mr. Adderson had to say.

The more he listened the more entranced he got into what he was saying and once he was handed the manual he clung to it as tight as he could. Then it hit him... something was wrong here and he couldn't stand it. The questions around him seemed almost idiotic, they were the last thing on his mind and finally he stepped out from behind the others swaying the notebook in his hand playfully.

"All that is fine and dandy... but there seems to be one piece here that I'm missing. How did you find us?" Tamza smiled as he looked into the man's eyes, a talent of gypsies... one can rarely lie to them without being caught. "I mean, I'm sure that I'm not the only one here who isn't recorded in any official files. Yet you were able to locate us so very easily... so tell me is there some foul play involved?" His hand slide down to the dagger hanging at his side and his thumb ran over the hilt of one of them slowly. "Now I think it's only fair we know everything... Boss"

Lethe
04-18-2010, 10:39 PM
Sometimes good things come in small packages.

Sometimes the manner of giving is worth more than the gift itself.

And sometimes… bizarre handbooks and life changing contracts come in ordinary looking large manila envelopes.

The museum archivist known as Brie Etienne, who to most others appeared as short, plump, and generally unassuming, carefully inspected the manila envelope before opening it and methodically analyzing its contents. Although it would take time to read through the entire Sheridan Agency Handbook, the contract itself looked official and legally binding. Brie had no questions regarding her financial compensation. By her one hundredth birthday she had amassed enough wealth for an entire village to live comfortably for centuries to come. Being a Dwarf did have certain advantages. She had access to a vast collection of exquisite gemstones, artifacts and collectibles, not to mention a few minor business investments of her own. She had maintained her job at the museum for reasons other than the meager paycheck it provided. As Brie subtly glanced around the room, she determined that several of the others here would not object to a steady source of income. Yet income alone would do little to persuade Brie to agree to the terms of the provided contract.

However, the one thing Mr. Bartholomew Adderson’s proposal had accomplished was to pique her curiosity. Her job as museum archivist and curator enabled her to preserve history. Being a contracted representative of the Sheridan Agency might allow her to go one step further: to make history. Brie thought it would be an interesting change of pace to participate in important events as they unfolded rather than to merely piece together and preserve an accurate record for generations to come. Her mind whirled with the plentitude of possibilities!

Her largest drawback was perhaps the one thing she despised most of all. Brie Etienne loathed change. In fact she detested the slightest modification to her monthly calendar. She was a creature of habit, a Dwarf who felt comforted by planned schedules. To her, the security of a daily routine was like a reassuring warm blanket on a drizzly day.

Should she decide to take Mr. Adderson up on his offer, her beautifully regimented life would never be the same again. Uncertainty would replace order. Her well-organized life would be irrevocably changed.

Brie was pleased to hear that an office would be provided as well as an administrative assistant. Of course the idea of living on the premises was entirely out of the question. Not only did she prefer the privacy of her quaint home in the garden district (that also happened to have direct access into the Dwarven Tunnel Network), she could not bear the thought of living so close to unseasoned mercenary types like the foolish human who had threatened Cici with an unloaded gun. She couldn’t even conceive why the imbecile was even invited to a meeting such as this. He was a danger to himself and others.

The others in the room had begun to voice their individual questions. Caitlyn wanted to know what the “catch” was. The human who had foolishly provoked an attack with an unloaded weapon seemed to be concerned about working with others. Brie definitely wasn’t in a rush to volunteer to assist him on an assignment; that much was for certain. The red-eyed hybrid with the white fur seemed to have recovered from his recent brain hemorrhage long enough to voice his concern about his living quarters and existing vocation. A recent newcomer wanted to find out how he had been located by the agency.

Brie chose not to ask any questions at this time. Through her Dwarven heritage she was already intimately acquainted with the magical “Underworld” of fantasy races and supernatural beings that secretly dwelled among the fringes of human society. Over the years she had encountered numerous creatures from other races. The contents of the provided handbook had neither shocked nor surprised her.

What she really wanted to see next, was the upstairs office.

The Gypsy Queen
04-24-2010, 12:05 AM
Chandra tapped Cici's shoulder to make sure she stayed focused. She was eager to hear the answers to all the questions, except for the man who had pulled the gun on Cici. She had problems with those who would harm her adopted child, and in her line of work, anyone who couldn't remember to load their gun didn't deserve the space they took up. Checking ammo was something she did almost reflexively.

" Ms. Mackinlay," Mr. Adderson began to answer the barrage of questions. " In my many years of business I have found that underhandedness does not suit me. It is, in my opinion, easier to be up front and honest, and in long run, it is less expensive. Please feel free to peruse the contract in detail; you will find no fine print or hidden snags. The only 'catch,' in my opinion, is the fact that the jobs the Agency takes on are often of an unusual nature. Such is the reason you are all here. As for the identity of the clients, I don't know as only one has contacted the agency so far. I imagine you will meet them as they require the Agency's services. Your secretary will fill you in on the single client later.

" Mr. Zev, it is my experience that working with others not only provides quicker and more satisfactory results, but also a fulfilling and rewarding experience. It may also allow you to build networks and gain access to information previously unavailable to you. It never hurts to make friends.

" Mr. Krath, I trust your judgment to attend to any previous engagements you have. I cannot imagine that the Agency will be so busy for the first month or so that you will not have time to attend to your current employment as well. But of course, please keep your own employment while you see if work in the Agency suits you.

" Mr. Hamza, you of all people can appreciate that there is more than one way to skin the proverbial cat. Just because I myself have not worked for the Agency in many years does not mean I have lost the skills it gave me... Skills that you could hone as well..." Mr. Adderson's eyes flitted over the group, lingering on a few, before he reached under the desk. A small buzzing sound went of, and Mr. Jeffs entered the room again through the main door.

" Now, my friends, if you would please follow Mr. Jeffs, he will escort us down to the limo. It would be my pleasure to accompany you all to the new office. And of course, I must introduce you to Ms. Delphi, the secretary. Oh, and refreshments have been provided, of course."

Chandra kept to the peripheries of the group, keeping Cici near her. They took a large elevator down, and although it was slightly cramped, it only made the fresh air outside that much more pleasant. The limo waiting was the biggest Chandra had ever seen, and she'd worked bodyguard detail on the most powerful man in New Orleans. As she climbed in, she found a full bar with drinks and snacks of every variety. Cici immediately went to town on slices of summer sausage.

It was not a long ride to the office, which meant it was still in the ritzier part of Downtown, but it gave her a chance to look over the group. Cici didn't seem particularly perturbed, so she guessed than none of them were using magic, at least nothing more powerful than the usual glamour. Being married to her ex had enlightened her to the many races other than humans that occupied the city, and Cici's sensitivity to magic served as an almost impeccable radar for magic users or creatures. Chandra was wary of the man who had pulled a gun on Cici, even though he seemed more or less docile now.

The other hybrid, a male, was interesting. He seemed to lack all the attention problems Cici had, and he seemed like he could read. He seemed almost normal, except for the valve in his head. Cici's only problem was her inability to sleep.

None of the others stuck out to her especially, although she was fairly sure she'd seen the man who had been last to arrive somewhere before. She knew Caitlyn from past exchanges (some of which had included bullets) but the others were all unfamiliar.

She didn't know them and they didn't know her. Chandra glanced at Cici, features softening in fondness. This job could mean a new start for them, a new life, away from Cez, away from all the violence and crime and hate. It could mean a safe home, independent of the Moretti's, and it could mean a chance at something like a normal life for Cici.

She just had to make it work.

The limo pulled up to a three story office building, with lots of windows. Mr. Jeffs, who had been driving, stepped out and opened the door. After everyone had clambered out, Mr. Adderson took the lead, and stepped through the front door. Inside was a modern lobby, with white marble floors and glass walls, showing through to a formal conference room. On either side of the lobby were waiting areas with leather couches and glass coffee tables, adorned with neatly stacked magazines. There was a white marble receptionist desk with a pair of matching columns on either side. Standing in from of the desk was a pretty young woman with bright auburn hair, deep blue eyes, and a charming smile, dressed in a professional skirt and blouse.

" Good afternoon, Ms. Delphi. The lobby looks wonderful." Mr. Adderson greeted her. " Ladies and gentlemen, this is Ms. Elizabeth Delphi, your secretary. She'll be handling the day to day affairs of the office. Ms. Delphi, my old knees cannot handle the stairs so well anymore. If you wouldn't mind, would you give them the tour?" The young woman smiled and waved at everyone.

" It would be my pleasure, sir." she said, her voice light and cheerful. " Hi, everyone, I'm Elizabeth Delphi, but please just call me Lizzie. I want us all to be friends here." Lizzie stepped around the desk. " So, here on the first floor we have four offices and the main conference room, as well as the kitchen. Mr. Adderson has fitted the whole building with a state of the art security system and network, and each office has a top of the line brand new desktop and laptop in it. You each can pick whichever one you want, the name plates are on order."

Lizzie led them up the stairs to the remaining six offices and showed them the gym, medical/chemical lab, and the computer lab, all outfitted with state of the art equipment. The third floor was sectioned into ten equally sized apartments, all fully furnished.

Chandra picked a corner apartment for it's big windows and large bed. There was room for both her and Cici to live comfortably there.

She'd made up her mind.

She signed the contract and helped Cici sign hers, handing them to Mr. Adderson on the first floor with a smile and a handshake.

" Thank you for this opportunity, sir. We won't let you down." she said.

" Chanda, my dear, the honor is mine."

GraftRaven
04-24-2010, 04:23 AM
Krath listened to all the answers, noting the calm manner in which Mr. Adderson spoke and hanging on every word. The next thing he knew they were downstairs and being loaded into a limo with a full bar. Krath quickly mixed a short glass of Bacardi and Coke, then leaned back in the seat and swirled it absently, taking a sip every minute or so. He could definitely get used to this, but for all the compensation the work must be hard.

As they reached the office building and got out Krath set his now empty glass back on the bar and stepped out of the limo and followed in the middle of the group, nodded at Ms. Delphi as she was introduced to them, and proceeded to marvel at the computer lab, and then at the sheer amount of computing power this place would have if the lab computers were all wired to serve as one, but that would come on another day.

As they came to the apartments he looked one over in particular, primarily black and white with all glass tables and modern designs. Krath flopped on the couch and read over the contract one last time before pulling a red-inked fountain pen from his pocket and signing his name in the crimson ink.

A short time later he found himself downstairs handing his contract to Mr Adderson, he could tell this was going to be one hell of a ride.

mere
04-25-2010, 03:14 AM
Donovan looked at the large envelope and slowly opened it, revealing a handbook and contract. He first opened up the handbook, skimming through the contents of it quickly, noticing that it talked about supernatural occurrences, Creatures of fantasy and other items. He rolled his eyes and placed his hand over his forehead. More shit about elves and dragons, just great.

Donovan put his hand back at his side and placed the handbook back inside the envelope. He turned to Mr. Adderson and looked him in the eyes. “I'm a doctor. For humans. Not some damn fairy hunter. I'm sorry but I'm going to have to reject your offer, Mr. Adderson.” He held the envelope out in front of Mr. Adderson to take so he could return to work. Donovan was low on patience and being in a room full of strangers and hybrids made him feel very uncomfortable.

Mr. Adderson looked back at Donovan and gave a slight smile and asked if he had read the contract. Donovan responded that he didn't and Mr. Adderson handed him back the envelope. He hastily reopened it and gave a quick look at the contract. His eyes grew large when he saw the pay. He then pt the contract down by his side and looked at Mr. Adderson again.

“That's just like you people. You-you present an offer and say it's optional and then you throw down the payment. You make it impossible to say no and I bet I won't get out of this building alive if I say no. You'll pro-probably shoot me and throw in the incinerator or something. You're no better then the mobs and gangs.”

Donovan was becoming increasingly nervous and uncomfortable, spewing out words that he hadn't even thought about it. He wiped the sweat from his forehead and collected himself. He brought the contract up to his line of sight again and looked back at the pay. It was better then the pay he was receiving already, but it would be impossible to have both jobs going, and he enjoyed being a doctor.

“Damn you. Damn you Mr. Adderson for giving me this offer. Because now, I can't say no.”

He followed the others into the slightly cramped elevator and proceeded into the luxurious limousine. He muttered softly for a second and then took a seat away from the other people. Why were they here? Why am I here. Donovan looked at some of the others and noticed that they were not exactly the most normal of people. He was about to go into look more carefully when the limousine stopped and the doors where opened. He climbed out and walked into the office building, Mr. Adderson leading the way. He ignored the skit with the receptionist and walked with her on a tour of the building. He was quick to notice that the building was well-kept and top of the line equipment was used. He shook his head with disgust. The office building was set to reel people in.

After taking a quick look at the medical center, (which Donovan knew he would soon come back to for inspection) they hurried along to where the apartments were and Donovan took the first door on his right after taking a left in the corridor.

The place was beautiful and fully furnished, having Donovan marvel at the living space. He took a seat and looked over the contract one more time. He reached for a pen held by one of the decorated cups near the center of the table and wrote his signature where needed. When he was finished he sighed and looked down at the pay again.

“That money's goin' towards you, dad.”

Donovan walked back down the flight of stairs and approached Mr. Adderson, putting the signed contract out in front of him.

“It's good that we came to an agreement, Mr. Anita.”

John
04-25-2010, 05:53 AM
Caitlyn was les than happy with how Adderson replied to her question. She could tell that he had told the truth about everything he had told to her as well as the others. The problem was, the question he didn’t answer. Caitlyn had hoped he might even make a verbal hint as to what he knew, but it never came. Caitlyn could tell that Adderson knew more about her than he let on, she just needed to know how much. Though that would have to wait for now.

Caitlyn watched silently as Donovan complained, or at least that’s how it seemed to her. At least unitl he saw the amount of money he would be getting. Caitlyn smiled at this, She wasn’t really doing it for the money. Although it was no small amount of money being offered, she didn’t actually need it. But still, the amount was very difficult to scoff at, and was definitely going to influence her decision.

Adderson led them to a limo and they headed off to a small office building. Caitlyn stayed silent for the ride and didn’t eat or drink anything. Instead she spent the whole time watching the others carefully. She wanted to learn all she could about each and everyone of them. And what better place to start than just by watching their behaviour. She had already learned so much about each of them, and she had no doubt that she would learn more in the days to come.

Once the group had arrived at the building, they were taken into what Caitlyn thought was a spectacular reception area. The light reflected off the marble floors and everything seemed immaculate. She took a little time to admire the room while listening to Adderson introduce them to their secretary, Lizzie.

Lizzie led the group on a tour of the building, ending on the third floor where each of them could choose an apartment. Chandra selected one of the corner apartments, and signed the contract. Caitlyn decided that she might as well go along with this for now, but she wanted to have a word alone with Mister Adderson first. It was time to get some answers.

“If you don’t mind Mr. Adderson, I’ll take the apartment closest to the stairs,” Caitlyn smiled. She liked the apartment she had chosen. It was only marginally nicer than where she lived now. But if things got out of hand, at least she could get out in hurry.

“And if you don’t mind, I would like a quick word with you in private.” Caitlyn’s expression became serious. She had already made up her mind to sign the contract, but she wanted her question answered now.

" Of course, Ms. Mackinlay." Mr. Adderson, gesturing for Caitlyn to step outside.

Caitlyn went outside, the door closing behind her. She waked a little distance away before stopping and turning to Adderson.

“Why am I here?” Caitlyn stared at Adderson cautiously. She had noticed the cameras all over the building, and she couldn’t help but feel that they were there to watch the group as well as any possible intruders. And Cailtlyn didn’t want to be watched.

" Ms. Mackinlay, I trust you have the ability to guess why I would offer you this position yourself."

“Let me put it another way,” Caitlyn smiled slightly. Truth was, she was getting more annoyed by the moment. She didn’t like how evasive Adderson was being. It was time to be more direct. “Am I here for my skills as thief?”

" In part, yes." Mr. Adderson said, nodding.

Caitlyn glanced at the cane before looking into Adderson’s eyes.

“And do you intend to share this with the others?” The smile, what little there was, faded from Caitlyn’s face.

" Whatever you wish the others to know of you is at your discretion." Mr. Adderson answered with a smile.

“And who exactly recommended me?” Caitlyn regarded him curiously.

" Jesus Salazar spoke very highly of you." Mr. Adderson said, voice calm.

“Anybody else?” Caitlyn grinned.

" Possibly. But on a different level of confidentiality." he answered.

“Still, it is information I would like to have,” Caitlyn’s tone was cool. “I would be willing to pay for it.”

" I apologize Ms. Mackinlay. But the nature of my business does require a level of confidentiality. I can't disclose every one of my acquaintances that have recommended you."

“Very well,” Caitlyn sighed. She wasn’t getting anywhere, and didn’t see that changing anytime soon. Adderson was amiable enough, but she still didn’t trust him completely. But the same could really be said of anybody other than Reina. And now, she was starting to question that too. But with Adderson it was different. There was more to him than met the eye, and Caitlyn found herself wanting to know a little more about her employer, especially since she had a minute alone with him.

“May I ask you a personal question Mister Adderson,” Caitlyn smiled and her tone and expression became a little seductive. A demeanour usually reserved for her clientele. “I mean, if I am going to be working for you, I would like to know a little more about you.”

Mr. Adderson smiled pleasantly.

" Of course."

"How old are you sir?" Caitlyn grinned at him.

" Now that is a personal question!" Mr. Adderson laughed. " I'm two hundred and twelve years old. I believe. It gets hard to keep count after so long."

“And that makes you a? “Caitlyn moved to Adderson’s left side, placing her hands gently on his shoulders “I’m sorry if I seem so forward,” Caitlyn smiled. “I’m just curious.”

" It makes me unique. As it makes you." he answered, not moving away, but body language clearly stating that he wished to keep a professional distance.

Caitlyn moved away, still smiling. She still didn’t know everything about him. Unlike other men, he wasn’t going to swayed by a pretty face This one was going to be a challenge. And if she ever wanted to find out who had recommended her, Caitlyn would have to play along.

“Okay Mister Adderson,” Caitlyn smiled, her tone friendly. “Let’s go back inside and I’ll sign your contract,” Caitlyn walked to the door and held it open for Adderson.

“After you.”

(co op with Gypsy

Lethe
04-27-2010, 01:09 AM
Little pieces of paper.

Even the most mundane scrap of handwritten paper, typed report, or computer generated receipt, if kept properly preserved for centuries, would eventually become historically significant. The same worthless shred of paper thrown into a wastebasket today, could grow to be extremely precious or perhaps even priceless if it managed to survive the test of time. However, certain pieces of paper were intrinsically valuable due to what was printed upon them or due to what the printing represented. Paper money had worth, as did stock certificates, legal wills, written codes of law, peace treaties, and property deeds. In this case, an authentic signature or seal added immeasurable value to the paper.

And at this precise moment, the tiny museum archivist known as Brie Etienne was busily studying a few tiny pieces of paper of her own. She was always hesitant to sign her name to any document, and this specific document was particularly troublesome to her because of what it represented. Brie wondered how much more complicated her perfectly scheduled little existence would become once she signed this contract. Taking time away from her place of work, the New Orleans Museum of History and Art, would truly be no trouble. It wasn’t uncommon for individuals in her profession to go away on sabbatical. In fact, the museum director had often encouraged her to take time off. He felt that she spent far too much time within the labyrinthine lower levels of the museum’s archive and storage rooms. Brie realized that he was, in fact, quite correct. With her lips pursed into a thin line, she removed the cap from a small fountain pen that she always kept with her. She wondered exactly how much Mr. Adderson and the Agency knew about her history as she added her signature in a small, precise, flowing hand.

Well, she thought, that was that.

Brie paused to look out the window. It had been several decades since she had last been inside a limousine. Although her instinctual need for practicality had seldom permitted her to spend money on what might be considered luxurious or frivolous (for most Dwarves preferred to live straightforward, uncomplicated lives), Brie had to admit that the ride was exceedingly comfortable. The vehicle was lavishly decorated, and the seats were soft and plush, if slightly too far off the ground for her short legs.

Eventually the limo slowed to a stop before a three storied office building. The short-statured woman tried to disembark as gracefully as possible, using her cane for balance as she traversed the distance between the vehicle’s posh interior and the sidewalk. After meeting the amicable Elizabeth Delphi, the group was taken on a tour of the building. The facility was more spacious than Brie anticipated. She enjoyed viewing the offices, gym, and chemical laboratory. The conference room seemed to be quite satisfactory. Out of curiosity, she inspected the living quarters, but they were a bit too bright and open for her tastes. She would rather stay in her own home. She would have a difficult time sleeping several stories above the ground. Like most Dwarves, Brie preferred to retire for the evening in a bed that was on the ground floor, close to the warmth of the earth.

What she was least pleased about was the selection of laptops and desktop computers. The tiny woman stared at the various technological devices as though they were venomous asps preparing to strike. She truly hoped that she wouldn’t be expected to actually use one on a regular basis. Surely a leather-bound notebook or two would suffice for her record keeping.

What she was most impressed about was the facility’s underground garage. Not only was it sizable and deep enough into the earth without showing any signs of dampness. It had an exceedingly important characteristic that she immediately noted. It was quite close to an extension of the Dwarven Tunnel Network. Brie wondered how difficult it would be for her to add her own personal connection to the existing system of tunnels like she had done with the museum’s lower levels. It would definitely be a matter worthy of consideration.

Brie returned to the lobby and quietly placed the signed copy of her contract onto the top of the reception desk.

Lerouge
05-15-2010, 11:43 PM
Hamza was far from satisfied and as the others began shuffling out of the room he stood his ground facing the man before him. The others seemed have been comforted by his words or maybe they were desperate for work, but he was not like them. The man's smile, stature, and even his clothes reeked of secrets and it was like fresh blood to a moth for Hamza's endless curiosity. He waited for the others to leave the room before taking a step forward in front of Mr. Adderson.

"So..." He began gently while folding his arms behind him and gently swaying the book behind him. "Now that the others are gone you can stop talking in riddles, you might have them convinced but not me. What is this all really about?"

Mr. Adderson smiled and held his hands out for Hamza to see, cane still gripped in one hand. "I have been nothing if not honest, Mr. Hamza. The reasons I have are the ones I gave."

Hamza chuckled softly before he realized and covered his mouth softly with his hand. "I'm sorry... but you aren't dealing with some amateur that you can convince with pretty words. My name has been recorded in no official records and the only ones that know it were killed years ago. Did you really expect me to just let it go?"

Mr. Adderson sighed, leaning on his cane. " Perhaps not, but my intentions are as I have said. I only wish to see the agency running again." he fished in his pocket for a moment. " You were requested by name."

"By name? Who asked for me?"

"No one you know, as of yet." Mr. Adderson said, stepping forward to press something small and metallic into Hamza's hands. "God help you."

Hamza's finger wrapped around the metallic object that was handed to him as he stared at the man in confusion. He opened his mouth to continue the conversation and get more information yet words didn't come. He simply stood there wrapped in his own thoughts as Mr. Adderson walked past him and began leaving the office to join the others. Hamza stared at the wall for a moment before he looked down at the object he was handed and his eyes met a small golden key.

"A key?" He muttered to himself and turned around to look toward the entrance of the room for Mr. Adderson and yet he saw no one. His eyes blinked in wonder as his feet led him slowly to the door and looked into the hallway. "How did he..." Hamza's eyes turned back toward the key in his hand and the traces of a smile appeared on his face as he pocketed it. "Now you really have my attention."

With that he jogged out of the room and followed the path to and elevator that Mr. Adderson was holding open for him. "Good of you to join us." He said and with a small bow Hamza filed into the already crammed elevator. With all the passengers in the doors closed and they were on their way down. Hamza's eyes wandered over to Mr. Adderson throughout the trip trying to figure out what it was about this man that seemed so... wrong. Sadly he didn't have much time to think as the doors opened and they were shuffled into a limo that was waiting outside the building for them. Hamza followed behind the others at a distance as his mind was lost in his skull trying to figure out what was going on exactly. He was in another realm of thinking through the entire ride as a few of the others seemed to be accustomed to the new surroundings while the others it seemed were still contemplating their future.

The ride to the new office wasn't too long and as the arrived Hamza looked upon the skyscraper before him. It wasn't exactly what he had expected for such an extravagant company, but like all things one can't judge by what you can see. With a quick tour it was evident that something was afoot as the building itself seemed to be much larger from the inside than it appeared. It had everything one could ever dream of, or at least he could dream of, it had a home for him. He had never slept in an actual bed before, at least not one he could call his own. This deal was getting better and better...

With a gentle sigh of frustration he ripped open the previously forgotten notebook and tossed it into a trash bin in the lobby, asides from the contract itself of course. With a quick movement of his arm he grabbed a pen from the desk of the secretary, who responded with a rather annoyed look, and signed the paper. It was funny seeing his name down on paper for the first time considering how many times he had signed away someone else's name pretending it was his own. With a sigh he handed his own contract over to Mr. Adderson and for the first time since he was born belonged to someone else.

The Gypsy Queen
05-21-2010, 05:06 AM
Chandra was on her way back to her new closet for the eighth time when she tripped on a shirt that didn't belong to her. She growled and picked it up, throwing it across the room at Cici.

" Cici, how many times have I told you?! Dirty clothes in the hamper!" she yelled. Cici crouched behind the couch and peered at Chandra in answer, ears back. Chandra sighed in exasperation and yanked a red blouse off a hanger, holding it up to her camisole-clad chest as she inspected herself in the full length mirror next to her closet. She frowned harder and rushed to the bed, picking up a white button-up blouse, then compared it to the red. Finally, she settled on the white, sliding it on over her camisole and inspecting herself critically in her black slacks and professional pumps.

It had been a week since she'd signed the contract with Mr. Adderson. The signing bonus was enough to pay for the movers and the new cell phones and a whole new wardrobe for each of them, full of professional clothes, with some left over. Chandra was saving some back for a vacation. She wanted to take Cici somewhere nice, maybe Europe. Or the Caribbean. A beach sounded nice.

But before she could think about sandy beaches and good looking cabana boys bearing mai tais, she had to do her new job, which was now attending a meeting with the Agency's first client. She paused to grin at her reflection.

" This is a good thing, Cici." She said happily. " This is a real job. I mean, look at us! We're going to a meeting and no one is carrying a gun. This is a step in the right direction." She smiled at the smaller girl, who was still watching her warily from the couch. Chandra had picked a picked a nice pair of khakis and a loose-fitting blue blouse. Cici resented being made to dress up. She preferred loose cargo pants that hung low on her hips and didn't ride up on her tail. She kept squirming and adjusting the khaki slacks to account for it. Chandra made a mental note to visit a tailor sometime.

She added a belt and fussed over her hair for a few moments before leading Cici downstairs. The formal meeting room was on the first floor and had glass walls, except for the wall facing the front desk. She and Cici were the first to arrive, so Chandra took the time to brew coffee and set out snacks. She had no idea what meeting protocol was but it seemed like a decent gesture, especially for the agency's first client.

She sat at the table next to Cici, midway down the long cherry table. The chairs were black leather and very comfortable. Cici was spinning in hers.

Chandra could hardly contain her excitement as she waited for her new colleagues and their first client.

GraftRaven
05-21-2010, 01:46 PM
The morning found Krath seated in front of his desk, feet up on a rung at the back of it, and game controller in hand. Over the last week he had finished the SUV order as well as his software contracts, found enough time to move into his new apartment, and do a little spending, the new and fairly large computer tower sitting next to the one that came with the room was a testament to that. At present it was time to get down to that meeting about their first job, so he set down his controller and started to walk across the room to go out.

Just before he got to the door he caught sight of himself in the mirror and stopped. He was wearing a black hoodie over a red teeshirt and his everpresent black cargo pants hung with silver chains on either hip, but this was not what bothered him, he was not worried about his clothes or the impression on whoever he would be meeting. Instead Krath reached up and picked a black piece of fuzz off his right ear, then walked through the door, careful not to shut it on his tail.

As he arrived in the meeting room he took his hands out of his pockets and pulled back the chair across from Chandra, then turned it around, sat down, and swiveled to face the table again. For a moment he watched Cici spin in her chair, which was quite entertaining, then his eyes snapped up and down the table, then to the coffee on a hotplate in the corner, and finally back to Chandra. "Got here early, huh?" He asked, his considerable intellect failing him in conversation starting.

Lethe
05-23-2010, 01:29 AM
What does a goddess look like?

According to the enormous stone monolith soon to be on display at New Orleans Museum of History and Art, a goddess had curly hair the color of dried blood, hooded half-moon figured eyes, a prominent nose and large feet with claw-like toe nails. But then, this was the ancient Aztec’s perception of what a goddess looked like. And the monolith of the goddess Tlaltecuhtli was the cornerstone of the new Aztec exhibit that Brie Etienne had been working on. During the past week, Brie, who was also a curator and the museum’s head archivist, had been patiently organizing and arranging various pieces and artifacts for the upcoming exhibit. She had personally assembled several dozen pieces of pottery, and two sculptures of Huitzilopochtli, the Aztec’s personification of the sun and of war. Her staff had spent several days working on a sunstone, or calendar stone display. The exhibit also included thirty seven pages from the famous Florentine Codex, priceless set of historical documents from the 1500’s that provided much of the world’s current knowledge concerning the ancient Aztec civilization.

The portly archivist gazed upward at the stone rendering of the goddess Tlaltecuhtli. In Brie’s estimation, the goddess’ long serrated tongue did little to enhance her outward beauty. The myriad of skulls and dried bones decorating Tlaltecuhtli’s clothing were a tribute to the many thousands of living hearts that had been sacrificed to her over the years. According to Aztec mythology, this particular goddess was thought to swallow the sun every night and regurgitate it back out into the sky each morning. As Brie frowned at the image, she wondered how humans could possibly have worshipped such an abomination. It was difficult for her to fathom for many reasons, not the least of which was the fact that Brie Etienne was not a member of the human race. She was a Dwarf with an entirely different lifespan and worldview. Of course, neither the museum director nor the members of her staff suspected her to be anything other than a fellow member of lackadaisical humanity.

With a slight click, Brie gingerly closed and locked the display case covering an ancient Aztec feather shield decorated with a dramatic mosaic of interlocking feathers. Her work at the museum was progressing far enough ahead of schedule that she had no concerns about completing the project in a timely fashion. It was now time for her appointment at the Agency building that she had recently begun to refer to as “the office.”

~*~ ~*~ ~*~

After arriving by taxi, the tiny woman went upstairs to the office rooms, still blatantly ignoring the fact that a computer had been set aside for her personal use. Brie detested computers and electronic databases nearly as much as she disliked loud, obnoxious humans and overpopulated shopping plazas. She poured herself a cup of freshly brewed coffee, savoring its enticing aroma. The archivist then paused.

What barbaric person had placed the bowl of sugar that far back on the counter top, quite out of arm’s reach? Brie straightened herself to her full height, and stood upon the tips of her toes, but still could not quite achieve her goal. With a small sigh she used the side of her wooden cane to hook the edge of the bowl, bringing it slowly toward her outstretched hand. She supposed that she could have easily gone without sugar. After all, she was a hearty Dwarven lass with brawny limbs, able to spend months at a time underground if necessary. Perhaps it was the mere fact that the object had been out of reach that had prompted her to desire it all the more. Regardless, she deposited a small spoonful of sugar into her cup before adding a spot of cream. She carried her coffee cup over to the long cherry wood table.

Brie selected a chair next to Krath, and across the table from where Cici was enthusiastically spinning in her seat. The chair she sat in was made of expensive smelling black leather. Although it was no doubt comfortable to most humans, Brie’s feet dangled several inches above the floor.

With a shy smile, the Dwarf slid a paper plate across the table to toward Cici. The plate contained three chocolate chip cookies.

Lord Tully
05-31-2010, 06:50 PM
Lora had quite enjoyed her stay at the apartments Mr. Adderson had provided, and had even started to become friends with a few of her soon to be co-workers. That morning she decided that she trusted them enough to let her ears show and pulled her hair back in a top knot. It had never really come up in the week or so she had known them so she hadn't told anyone she was half Elven, she walked into the meeting room and said "Good morning," to the 4 who were already there. She proceded to pour herself a cup of coffee and sat down next to Chandra and almost laughed when she saw Cici spinning in her chair, "Morning Brie." She said to the woman sitting across from her, Lora was certain that she was the one she'd have to address most about her heritage. Nevertheless Lora smiled at the Dwarf and tried to mentally tell her not to go nuts over it.

John
05-31-2010, 09:50 PM
Caitlyn sat on the edge of the large bed in her apartment of the Adderson building, holding the small box in her hands. It was a small wooden box with a lid and a small lock. Inside were five stone arrowheads and a gold Atzec coin. Caitlyn smiled as she remembered how she had acquired the items. They were precious remnants of days gone by and to the right people, were of incredible value. And it was cause of this that Catilyn was smiling. Perhaps these items could provide away for her to acquire more objects for her collection. She just had to give one of them to the right person. Caitlyn got up and placed the box on the dresser. Removing one of the arrowheads, she wrapped it gently in a handkerchief and placed it in her pocket.

Caitlyn entered into the spacious living are of her apartment in the Adderson building. She had only been here for a week and was quite happy with the accommodations. She had taken the time to search thoroughly for cameras and listening devices, a search which revealed nothing. It made Caitlyn feel comfortable that perhaps Adderson would be true to his word. After all, Caitlyn had so much to lose.

The last week had been pretty much the normal routine for Caitlyn. She spent most of her time at the brothel, fending off the advances of horny college students and tourists, and keeping in touch with Reina. Caitlyn had decided it best to keep the amount of money she would be receiving out of any conversational topics, for fear of Reina changing her mind about a cut. Mind you, when Caitlyn spoke to Reina, she seemed distant. No doubt due to the problems with her marriage, and despite the fact that Caitlyn considered Reina a friend; it wasn’t her place to talk about them.

Today however, Caitlyn was intrigued. Today was the day that they had an appointment with their first client. She had received a message form Lizzie about the time, which was now, though no other information had been provided. She didn’t understand the need for the lack of information. Still, Adderson was quite secretive and no doubt he felt it was best. Caitlyn left her apartment, locking it as she did and made her way to the meeting room. Once she had arrived, she took note of the others and quickly walked up to Brie, taking the handkerchief from her pocket and handing it to her.

“Something for you,” Caitlyn smiled and walking over to Chandra sat next to her.

“So do you know anything about who we’re meeting?” Caitlyn’s tone was cordial and she appeared happy.” And where’s Adderson?”

“Lizzie said Mr. Adderson wants to Agency to run independent of him." Chandra said, smiling as Cici squealed and tore into her cookie with childlike enthusiasm. “And all I know is that his name is Jean-Pierre de Gaul. He's supposed to tell us what he wants when he gets here... I guess..."

Caitlyn smiled at Cici and thought of the joy on she was experiencing from the cookie. Despite the fact the she wasn’t what you would call intelligent, she seemed so happy. In some ways, one might say that Cici had the perfect life. But still, every life could be made better.

“Listen,” Caitlyn gave Chandra a sincere look. “I know that we have had our differences. But if there is anything you ever need, anything at all, let me know, okay? I was kind of hoping that maybe we could be more than just work related associates.”

Chandra smiled slowly, unsure. She was trying to cut all ties with the Morettis and her life as one of their enforcers. Caitlyn made no secret of maintaining her own ties. Associating with Caitlyn too closely could earn her critical attention that she did not want, but at the same time it would be good to have a friend.

“That would be good."

“I know you’re trying to make a new life for yourself and Cici,” Caitlyn’s tone became softer. “And I’m starting to think that maybe it might be time for a change as well. So I don’t want you to worry. I won’t be the cause of you being dragged into anything.”

Chandra nodded slowly, smiling a bit.

“Alright."

“You don’t have to believe me if you don’t want to,” Caitlyn looked serious. “But I give you my word.”

Chandra shrugged and smiled. "It's still all so new. Don't take it personally. I'm just... figuring things out."

“I’m not taking it personally,” Caitlyn’s smile returned. “We do have a bit of a past; I just want to put all of that behind us.”

Chandra nodded, taking a sip of coffee.

“Let’s just take it one day at a time."

“Agreed,” Caitlyn nodded smiling. “I think everything is going to work out as it’s supposed to.”

(co op with Gypsy)

mere
06-02-2010, 02:00 AM
Donovan placed the small lamp on the coffee table in front of the couch, making sure he did not knock over the mug he had placed on the table a couple moments ago. There was going to be a meeting in a couple minutes, and Donovan enjoyed feeling that his living space was clean and organized.

Once he was satisfied with the lamp’s position, Donovan turned towards his computer desk and fiddled with his CD player. It was brand new, and he inserted Shinedown’s The Sound of Madness album, hitting shuffle. The Crow & the Butterfly began playing, and Donovan took a moment to relax.

The entire week had been spent dealing with moving his belongings to his new apartment, and working things out with the hospital. He decided that it was going to be too difficult to manage two jobs, and he had no idea how this new job was going to interfere with being a doctor at the hospital.

Donovan walked over to the sink, splashing a bit of water onto his face. He looked tired and needed to wake up a little. Satisfied, he dried his face and observed himself in the wall-mounted mirror hanging above the sink. No need to shave, and after washing himself, he looked socially acceptable. The song changed to Second Chance and after the first couple seconds, Donovan pushed the off button the player and the sound drowned out. Donovan had rarely spent any money that he had received, keeping his promise with his father to help him pull through and make it out of his current state alive. Leaving him alone was not an option for Donovan.

Checking the time, Donovan ran his hand through his hair and left his apartment, making sure to lock it before he left. He was nearly certain that no one would try to break in, but he liked to keep his belongings as safe as possible. Taking the stairs down to the first floor, Donovan wondered about their first client and meeting. He wasn’t really acquainted with any of the other workers, and he wanted to change that, soon if possible. It would make him feel more comfortable around the building, as a place that could now be considered his home wasn’t comfortable with strangers living near him.

Donovan entered the meeting room, said hello to the other people in the room, and sat down, waiting for the meeting to start.

Lethe
06-05-2010, 08:16 PM
Brie had never been comfortable around large groups of people. Well, actually she didn’t much mind the company of other Dwarves. But humans, Elves, and most other races tended to put her on her guard. The majority of Elves were entirely self-seeking. They cared little for the well-being of other races. And humans had a very bad habit of causing trouble, starting wars, and generally mucking things up for the entire rest of the planet. At every possible opportunity, she creatively avoided attending meetings at the museum. She politely declined traveling to symposiums and conferences, typically requesting that one of her staff members go in her stead. Unfortunately she realized that there was no escape from attending this meeting. They were here to meet a client, and she had signed the contract after all. She was required to be present. She might as well make the best of the situation. She took a bite from a blueberry muffin. It was a bit too dry for her tastes. Brie wondered if she would ever quite get used to human cuisine.

The short-statured museum archivist was pleased to see that Cici was happily eating her cookie. So at least someone was enjoying herself. Brie generally got along well with most young people; it was the adults that she often had trouble with. She had always wondered if children naturally felt relaxed around her because she was short and nonthreatening. She somehow doubted it was due to her effervescent personality.

“Morning, Brie.”

Brie glanced over at the unfortunate blonde half-elf. It was sad really, that the In-Between creature was such a regrettable mix of bloodlines. It would never live as long as a full blooded Elf. Nor would it ever be anywhere near as powerful. Tragically, it would also never develop as much skill with magic as a full blooded human either. She never understood why any race would taint their bloodlines in such a manner. It was actually such a simple concept. Dwarves always married other Dwarves and had baby Dwarves. She wasn’t certain as to why the tainted creature was even trying to address her. And with her luck Brie would eventually end up in some position where she would need to protect or defend it since, in her estimation, the half-elf was fairly frail looking. It would probably be somewhat of a liability should they encounter a combat situation. Besides, it definitely needed to eat a bit more.

Instead of responding, Brie simply removed a small leather-bound notebook from her little satchel and opened it. She began to methodically leaf through its pages as she patiently waited for their new client to arrive and for the meeting to begin.

Lord Tully
06-06-2010, 12:30 AM
Lora took an analyzing look at Brie's reactions, from what she knew of Dwarves she fully expected the stout museum worker to jump to her feet and start screaming profanity about her heritage. Lora was surprised when Brie in fact did not seem to react at all, "I guess spending time in the human has given you a different view point then others." Lora commented taking a muffin of her own, "I admit, I half expected you to pull a weapon on me when you saw my ears." She joked mildly, although she did actually expect that and came armed with a pistol incase Brie actually did attack her. "I hope that I can trust you to watch my back if things ever get hairy, because you can certainly trust me."

The Gypsy Queen
06-21-2010, 10:42 PM
Chandra was enjoying herself. The meeting was lighthearted and civil. No lives were on the line. Most everyone seemed to be pleasant. She genuinely hoped this was the chance she'd been looking for, the opportunity to get her life on the right track, like she'd always wanted but had never been allowed to do. Maybe she could go back to school, like she'd always wanted. She'd barely graduated high school, thanks to her mother's habits, and college had been immediately out of the question when she got pregnant and married Cez.

Something angry and hurt burned inside her chest, and Chandra shook her head and smiled, blinking away half formed tears.

Before she could excuse herself to go have the sob she felt forming in her chest, the door to the board room opened and Lizzie, as pretty and fresh as morning dew, stood to the side and held it open for a large man.

" Monsieur de Gaul, these are the fine people of the Sheridan Detective Agency." She paused to make introductions around the board. " And everyone, this is Monsieur Jean-Pierre de Gaul. May I get you anything to drink, Monsieur?"

Jean-Pierre de Gaul shook his head and waved his large hand dismissively. Lizzie nodded her head and excused herself. De Gaul was a mountain of man, Chandra noted. He was easily of six and a half feet tall, probably upwards of four hundred pounds, and didn't appear to have an ounce of fat on him. His arms were thick and his chest broad and deep, but the dove gray suit he wore fit him well. He fidgeted a little with the red tie around his neck (which resembled an upturned punch bowl on which his head perched), but appeared otherwise calm. His eyes were steel gray and his hair was black, slicked back with only a light sprinkling of gray. Chandra suspected from his sheer bulk that he might have had orc somewhere far back in his line, but his eyes were too sharp and intelligent for it to be too strong.

Amazing, de Gaul's massive bulk managed to fit into the chair at the end of the table closest to the door. Chandra noted with some dismay that not all of the Agency's employees had arrived but with any luck, de Gaul didn't need to know that.

No one spoke for a long moment, so Chandra decided to take the lead.

" Good afternoon, sir. What can we do for you?" she asked, smiling pleasantly. A chill went up her spine when de Gaul's steely eyes landed on her, flat and cold, as he seemed to appraise her the way one would appraise a car or tractor. Wondering if it would work well for them.

" I am a busy man, so I will be brief." he began, and Chandra noted a faint accent on his voice, but it was not French, as his name would imply. She didn't let her realization show on her face. As an enforcer, noticing little things armed her in ways that could save her life. She had a guess that working for the Agency would demand those skills as well.

" My brother, Henri de Gaul, was found dead just outside the club, Il Fontana, last week. The police have ruled his death as vehicular homicide, a hit and run. The case has been closed. My heart is ill at ease with their conclusion. His chest, it was crushed. From all sides. As though he was gripped by a massive fist." de Gaul lifted his own great fist to show everyone in the room. " In these past few years, my brother has made... many bad choices. He is - was - not a bad man. But it is my fear that perhaps he fell in with bad men. I must know the truth of my brother's death, not just for myself, but for his widow and their two sons." he opened his massive hands to the rest of the room, as though pleading, but his cold eyes held no sadness... they were as remorseless as cold steel. " I beg of you. No one else will take my case. Will you help me?"

Chandra resisted the urge to bite her lip. Something seemed off but she couldn't put her finger on it. But Mr. Adderson would only pay the Agency's bills for so long... they needed a case, even if only to prove to themselves they could do it. She was reluctant to accept the case blindly however.

" Monsieur de Gaul," she began cautiously. " I'm very sorry for what happened to your brother, and I understand your grief is beyond my ability to grasp." Not so far, but he didn't need to know that. " But please, may we ask you some questions to better understand your case?"

De Gaul nodded, eyes still cold, although his face gave the impression he was struggling with his grief. Chandra glanced at her colleagues, hoping that one of them might have an idea of where to start, because she was more or less lost.

John
06-22-2010, 03:52 AM
As Caitlyn listened, she removed three items form her purse. Her cell phone a pen and a pad of paper. Turning on her phone, she quickly punched in a message to Reina; “We NEED to talk. Pick a time.” Reina would have to be one of the first people that Caitlyn spoke to given the location of the untimely demise of Henri. Il Fontana was a Moretti bar. Now as much as Caitlyn thought the Moretti’s, Chandra excluded, were as useless as tits on a bull, she knew they wouldn’t draw attention to themselves by killing someone in front of their own club. It would make for too many problems, problems that would cost time and a hell of a lot of money to fix.

In Caitlyn’s mind, someone could be trying to set up the Moretti’s, and given that they had more enemies than Governor Nixon did, it would not be a short list. Mind you, there was someone in the room who would have a lot to gain by setting them up, other than Caitlyn. Setting the phone on the table, Caitlyn wrote the words “Did you?” on the paper and slid the pad and pen in front of Chandra.

Chandra blinked as she read the note Caitlyn passed her. At first she couldn't comprehend what it meant, but after a moment it clicked slowly into place.

She scribbled on the pad and pushed it, frowning.

" No."

Caitlyn smiled and wrote, “Sorry I had to ask. Shane?” before passing the pad back.

Chandra bit her lip as she glanced around the room, wishing someone would speak. It was possible Shane Roan may have done something, even if it would have been utterly out of character for him. His heritage had always given him a temper but that was something he worked hard to restrain. He would not be foolish enough to invoke Amadeo's wrath so blatantly. But the bad blood between Shane and Cez ran deep and strong, and although the whole family was outraged at what Cez had done, Shane had taken the slight particularly hard. The possibility was there, but Chandra thought it unlikely.

" Probably not." she scribbled on the note and pushed it back.

Caitlyn stated writing on the pad again, this time stopping for a moment to look up at De Gaul.

“Monsieur De Gaul,” Caitlyn smiled, speaking perfect French. “Could you tell us the names of anyone your brother was associating with before he was killed?” Caitlyn figured it was as good a place as any to start. Mind you in this city, it was harder to find someone who wasn’t on the wrong side of the law. Corruption, greed, debauchery, these things were all too common in the big easy. God how Caitlyn loved this city.

Quickly Caitlyn wrote the words, “Need to talk to Reina. Guessing you don’t want to go to the club?”

De Gaul blinked a moment before he answered. " I am afraid my brother and I were somewhat estranged after he left his wife. I do know he was living with his girlfriend, a Michelle Gauvin" he replied in English.

Chandra listened, impressed with Caitlyn's cleverness. She didn't speak but a little French, but it was a good way to put de Gaul on the spot. Even with the little she knew, she had understood the gist of what Caitlyn had said and de Gaul's reluctance to speak it spoke volumes.

She wrote on the pad " I don't think I can avoid it." before pushing it back.

Caitlyn smiled flatly when she heard Michelle’s name. Caitlyn knew who she was. Mind you she did spend a lot of time in strip clubs looking for the girls who wanted to give a little more bang for the buck. Caitlyn would only go after the best and Michele, who was hot, got that awful tit job and they became lopsided, with one just slightly bigger than the other. Which really was too bad, cause they were nice tits to begin with.

Despite that, Caitlyn had to admit being intrigued by Michelle. The chick couldn’t dance to save her life, having actually spun on the pole and somehow managed to lose her grip and fly off the stage. She crashed into two gentlemen in the front row; one of whom has had a crick in his neck ever since. But somehow, despite her own stupidity, she still was able to make enough to support her coke habit.

“I can go see your ex? Accent? British?” Caitlyn wrote on the pad, passed it to Chandra and cleared her throat.

“When was the last time you saw your brother alive Monsieur De Gaul,” Caitlyn’s tone was polite and professional.

Chandra winced and scribbled back quickly " Terrible with accents. I'll go with you."

De Gaul, however, shifted, looking distinctly uncomfortable.

" It has been some years since I last saw my brother. I would say it was probably five years ago, when his youngest was born. I have no children of my own. It was a happy time for the family. But two days before he died, he called me and asked me to meet him. He died before I could."

Caitlyn wrote, “Do you think that wise considering? He’s lying!” and slid the pad to Chandra, smiling slyly as she did.

“Are you sure Monsieur De Gaul?” Caitlyn was still polite. We need to know everything if we are to kesh,” the words “tell me what you’re hiding,” flashed in Caitlyn’s mind. “The people responsible for this. Anything you can tell us would be greatly appreciated.

" I only spoke with him two days before he died. Nothing more." de Gaul said firmly, while Chandra scribbled back " No choice. I need to talk to Shane anyway."

Seconds later, Caitlyn's cell phone lit up silently, displaying a message that read " Tonight at 8:00. Outside the opera house. Only a few minutes."

“Caitlyn simply replied “k” to the text message and sat quietly, thinking about her next move. Silently praying that Reina wasn’t in on any of this.

(co op with Gypsy)

Black
06-30-2010, 09:52 PM
Jack was standing behind Mr. De Gaul slightly in the shadows where he was neigh-impossible to see. He could hear the lies in the mans voice and his ears twitched in annoyance. He studied the faces of everyone in the room, mainly of the two asking all the questions. He could tell just by facial expressions and slight signs both of them gave off that they knew Mr. De Gaul was lying as well. Jack looked at De Gaul and tilted his head. The man was large, possibly Orcish dissent, or maybe even Ogre but heavily diluted because the man was so intelligent. Not intelligent enough to notice he had been caught in a lie however.

Jack had gotten to the office late last night because of the distance he had to travel to get there. Jack and Bartholomew had long been friends. At the age of 545 jack was about 45 in human years and old age was beginning to creep onto his elfin face. Hardly noticeable was a slight wrinkle in his face, and a slight tired look in his eyes. He had moved into his room last night silently and had actually been the first in the office this morning. He had just been waiting in the shadows and had watched everyone file past him, passing within 2 inches of his location and not even noticing him.

Jack stepped into the light of the room startling everyone by saying "Mr. De Gaul, can you describe your brother to me please? I'd like to take a look in my computer for his profile, any past registered crimes, loans taken out in his name, credit card's used, what he bought, etcetera etcetera, and I need an accurate description of what he was like. Also that photo you have will help." Jack took a seat closest to De Gaul and pulled up his laptop bad and placed it on the table, pulling out a laptop and setting it gently down and opening it up whilst powering it on.

"Anything else you can tell me about your brother will be of great importance Mr. De Gaul. Past girlfriends, wives, friends, lovers, drinking buddies. Anything you can tell me about the wife and kids would be helpful as well"

Falcon Red
06-30-2010, 10:29 PM
Two jugglers stood apart from eachother in the ring of a circus, tossing bowling pins between one another. The ring leader stepped out to stand next to one of the juggler's back. "Look at this trick ladies and gentlement. Isn't that something. Now here's the thing. This is kid stuff. You can walk down the street and see this act. You can walk into your childs school and see this act. No! Our guests demand more isn't that right?"

A roar from the crowd erupted.

"That's right, something risky." Another roar from the crowd. "Something where if messed up you want your money back, RIGHT!" An even louder roar from the crowd. "Ladies and gentlemen, may I present Tommy!"

At the sound of his name Tommy ran forward towards the flying pins between the two jugglers. The jugglers switched to using one hand each pulling out three juggling balls from their pockets. Tommy jumped up and dove over the flying pins, the jugglers threw the balls in his direction before going back to two hands on their part of the act. Tommy caught all three balls, but one almost didn't make his grasp messing up his fall. He landed on his arm to roll around as rehearsed but a second to late, flipping him on his back and sliding across the ground for a moment.

At the bad landing, it was silent in the tent. As soon as he stopped sliding, a ball flew into the air, and Tommy sat up with a big cheesey grin on his face juggling the balls around. The crowd cheered and laughed thinking it a comedic part of the show.

"What did you think of that? Did you like that?" Yelled the ring leader into the microphone.

Tommy stood up and backed up, lowering the height of the balls as he juggled them, and ducked under the bridge of flying bowling pins. He stood back up and the three of them started juggling the pins and balls between the three of them to the left. In another instant they changed up the pattern and tossed the objects across the center randomly at eachother. Then they stopped, the two jugglers turned to face the crowd, and Tommy moved forward between them as they all took a bow simultaneously and lifted their arms to the crowd running out of the ring.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the jugglers!" The crowd cheered. "Now it is time to take a little intermission." The lights went up around the crowd as some clowns came out to fool around while the crowd got up to stretch their legs and get some refreshments.

"Nice save, Tom." One of the jugglers said as they looked back and laughed at the accident, as they put their equipment away.

"Tommy!" The ring leader called after. "Tommy, c'mere."

Tommy looked back and rolled his eyes. He knew he was in trouble. He walked over to his boss and crossed his arms. "Yes sir?"

"You said that you had that routine down."

"Yeah, it was an accident, it won't happen again."

"Yeah, sure. Here this came for you, messanger said he was sorry it was so late but the invitation is still good."

"Invitation for what?" Tommy looked at the envelope and opened it.

Dear Ms. Moretti,

Sincerely,
Bartholomew Adderson

"Sir.. can you give me a ride to the Adderson building?"

"What are you talkin' about we have a show to run here."

"Please? I'm feeling this is kind of important."

"Yeah, sure kid, go get what you need."

Tommy walked back over to the other jugglers and told them. They hugged their "brother" a good bye, and he promised he'd be back, and ran to his trailer. He packed a few changes of clothes, three of his best juggling balls, scribbled a note that his stuff was the jugglers while he was gone and ran back to the ring leader.

"I have someone taking care of the show, lets go."

They were fairly close to the Adderson building, it was lucky they were even in town. They made it there and sat a moment. "Tom. I consider you one of my own, it's a shame to see you go, what do you want me to tell your parents?"

"Tell them the truth, tell them I'll call as soon as I can. It's been great working for you, I'll see you again one day sir."

"Good luck, Tommy."

Tommy got out of the car and walked up to the Adderson building, hoping that it was still open. With luck it was. He walked in and went up to the desk. The secretary looked up at him, at his strange spandex costume and tried suppressing a laugh. "May I help you sir?"

"Yeah I got this note."

"Oh yes, of course, one moment please."

Tommy smiled and walked up to the pretty secretary leaning onto the counter looking in her eye, when she was off the phone he spoke. "Don't lie, your just wanting to know more about me." She giggled but was unable to reply as a big intimidating man walked into the room.

"Ah, Mr. Litken, I'm pleased you were able to show up, this way please."

Tommy kept eye contact with the girl and winked before standing straight and following the man. "Sir, how do you know my name?"

"I know all of Mr. Adderson's choices by name. My name is Mr. Jeffs." Mr. Jeffs led them into an elevator and took it up. Tommy stood next to him. The man seemed focused, so Tommy decided to have some fun. He turned toward the hulking man and began making faces, leaning in closer eachtime. Mr. Jeffs just rolled his eyes. "If you'd please stop Mr. Litken." He turned his head in time to see Tommy with his mouth wide open pushing his nose back with his thumb and eyes wide. Tommy snapped his face back and coughed. "I take it your quite the comedian."

The elevator stopped and they left the elevator into an office full of dark mahogony wood furniture. Mr. Jeffs walked forward in a stiff focused manor, that naturally Tommy adopted in hopes of mocking the man. Mr. Jeffs turned and stared Tommy down. "Have a seat, Mr. Litken." He said putting an annoyed emphasis on "seat."

Tommy mocked Mr. Jeffs harshness and sat in an adolescent manor, not straight, having more lower back touch the seat than actual butt. "Mr. Adderson will be with you shortly." Mr. Jeffs exited the room leaving Tommy on his own.

GraftRaven
07-03-2010, 03:34 PM
Krath watched and listened to Monsieur de Gaul's story, he seemed to be truthful about details, but the coldness in his eyes was suspicious since his brother had died only a week ago, most beings would have some sort of emotion in their eyes, anger, sadness, the look of someone looking for answers, Monsieur de Gaul had none of them.

Chandra and Caitlyn started asking him questions and Krath watched his body language carefully, wishing that they would stop writing on the pad because the rasping of pen against paper was getting to him and his constant migraine. When asked when he had last seen his brother Monsieur de Gaul shifted his posture, moved his hands together, and moved his eyes around the table before answering. His apparent insecurity and his words contradicting it were enough for Krath to conclude that he had definitely seen his brother before he died.

Phone records, e-mail accounts, possibly satellite location records, not things you could get through official channels, but all things that would be useful. Unfortunately Krath was still stuck in this meeting, but he could still ask a useful question or two by the end of it. "Monsieur de Gaul, I know this may be a bit prying, but I would like to ask the name of your cell phone provider and if you use the internet very often or not." As he spoke Krath leaned forward slightly and looked straight into Monsieur de Gaul's gray eyes with his own crimson ones and flicked his ears forward to catch every detail of his response.

The Gypsy Queen
07-04-2010, 03:08 AM
Chandra nearly leaped to her feet to confront the newcomer as he sat down, but she didn't have time before de Gaul spoke.

" Is it the usual policy of this agency to have its operatives arrive to a meeting late and be so bold?" he asked. Chandra shrunk into her seat at his admonishing, steely gaze. " I have, of course, provided all of my brother's personal information to your secretary." he told Chandra, bluntly ignoring the newcomer. " As well as a picture." he continued, reaching into the inside pocket of his jacket. He laid a picture down on the table and pushed it to Chandra, his thick arms reaching her three seats away with ease. " But here is another. I have copies. This was taken two months ago, at the beach."

Chandra picked the photo up. It was the size of a standard snapshot, and showed a man in swimming trunks, holding a beer bottle and laughing at something behind the camera. He bore a faint resemblance to de Gaul, although she couldn't really define what it was about the two of them that was so similar. He had honey brown hair and dark eyes, too far from the camera to really see what color they were. His skin was sallow in the sun, and his cheeks were sunken. His ribs were clearly visible and what as left of a once fit and strong body seemed bony and shrunken. It was a look Chandra knew all too well, and seeing it again caused a sharp pain in her heart. It was the look of an addict, a junkie, worn and beaten from his long dependence. She couldn't tell from the picture if he was high or sober but she hoped he was laughing at one of his two sons or his wife, that this picture had been taken in a moment of sobriety.

That his children might have some happy memory of him.

She passed the picture to Caitlyn, so that everyone could look, as Krath spoke.

Mr. de Gaul seemed more happy to acknowledge Krath. " Mine?" he asked. " Why do you need my cell phone provider? I do use the internet often but why do you need to know?"

John
07-04-2010, 05:02 AM
Caitlyn sat quietly, listening to the questions by the newcomer as well as the answers provided by mister De Gaul. Quite frankly, she didn’t trust him. Mind you, the same could be said for any fo the people in the room. Though she had to admit becoming quite fond of the rapport she had with Chandra. She might even go so far as to consider Chandra a friend had it not been for her ties to Reina, ties which she might have to sever soon. But right now, Caitlyn had something to do.

Sitting quietly, Caitlyn stared at the table, focusing on the it. Steadying herself mentally as she broke out in a sweat and went pale. Once she was, Caitlyn quickly got to her feet and grabbed her purse.

“If you will all excuse me for a minute,” Caitlyn croaked. “I think the sushi I had for lunch wants to make an appearance.” The moment Caitlyn finished speaking, she lurched a but and her cheeks puffed out as though she were going to vomit and she quickly rushed out the door.

Caitlyn kept moving passed Lizzie without a word and into the stairwell. She hoped she had enough time to do what she wanted to. Caitlyn thought of how she didn’t trust De Gaul as she raced up the stairs to the computer lab and began to search for the item she needed. She could remember seeing it before when she originally checked the place out. After about two minutes of searching, she quickly found the tracer dot and tracking device which went with it. She placed the device in her purse and raced back for the stairs.

Caitlyn ran at almost top speed, using the hand rail to help her jump down multiple stairs at a time. She made her way to the bottom level and into the parking garage. The garage itself wasn’t very big and it didn’t take her long to find De Gaul’s car. After all, there was only one car in the garage she didn’t recognize.

Caitlyn placed the dot securely under the back bumper and then checked that the tracking device worked. The device itself was small and appeared to be an ordinary GPS unit. And at the moment, it was showing a small signal at her location. Caitlyn smiled and replaced the device back in her purse, shutting it off for the moment and made her way back to the stairs.

Dring the climb, Caitlyn’s appearance returned to normal, though she still looked a little pale. She took a moment to get a piece of gum form her purse and slowly made her way back to the conference room. Once she arrived she pushed the door open and headed back to her chair. Slowly, Caitlyn sat down, wavered slightly in her chair, and then looked up.

“Once again, I’m very sorry,” Caitlyn brushed the hair away from her face. “What’d I miss?”

Black
07-04-2010, 07:07 AM
Jack looked up calmly. "I was here before everyone. Chandra and Cici were here second, Krath Third, Brie Fourth, Lora Fifth, Caitlyn Sixth, Donovan Seventh, And finally you Mr. De Gaul. You're wearing a foreign cologne, Cheap, gives me a headache actually. You arrive here about seven minutes after Donovan walked into the room. And even if I HAD been late, You're asking my employer for help, then blatantly insulting his employees. Seems like a bad way to ask for help" Jack took a calm sip of tea he had placed here before anyone had entered the room.

Jack had previously been in the Agency that everyone in this room excluding De Gaul was now in. "Of course, It makes me curious that you would get so angry for me asking such trivial questions to better help you. Why is this?" he said pushing his computer to the side and leaning forward, playing with the pointed tips of one of his ears.

He leaned back from De Gaul and pushed his laptop closer to Caitlyn and Chandra. On it was a detailed profile of Mr. De Gauls brother, the information was directly linked from the Federal data base as well as the all the Elven knowledge stored within this computer.

The Gypsy Queen
07-05-2010, 04:11 AM
Chandra's stare at the newcomer was hard. If he had been in the building all along, or even if he was lying, he had just made the Agency look like nothing but a bunch of blundering idiots, and in front of a potential customer no less. If this had been one of the meetings she had attended with Cez and Amadeo, she would have hauled the stranger out to the alley behind the building to interrogate and execute him. She could feel Cici beside her tensing to do just that. She didn't want to make the situation any worse than it was, and the uneasy expression on de Gaul's face was her biggest clue that it was pretty bad.

The stranger had pulled up a web page from an internet search, a sort of profile page on Henri de Gaul from a law firm's website. He must have been an important lawyer, but Chandra had no doubt that Krath, Caitlyn, or even she herself could have found the same page just as easily.

Adderson hadn't said anything but Chandra knew that any business needed customers to stay open. And she needed this business to work. They needed de Gaul, rude strangers be damned.

" Mr. de Gaul, would you mind waiting outside the room? My... colleagues and I would like to discuss if we can take on your case." she said calmly. De Gaul nodded, emotionless, and went out the door, closing it behind him. Chandra was once again amazed he even fit through it. Once the door was closed behind him, her gaze snapped to the stranger. " Who the fuck are you? What do you think you're doing here? And where the fuck do you get off being such an ass to our client?" she didn't bother waiting for an answer, giving him a scowl before deciding to deal with him later.

" Should we take the case?" she asked the others bluntly.

Black
07-05-2010, 10:02 PM
Jack looked at Chandra. "Im five hundred and forty five years old, Today. In the past I worked with Mr. Adderson in the very Agency you are now in. Back in our time, People respected us when they hired us. They answered our questions honestly, and with passion and gratitude. I guess I've been isolated from modern society for so long I have forgotten that times change quickly. Forgive me" He stood and bowed low, his pointed ears twitching. "I do not want to make an enemy out of you, so for now I shall watch how you youngsters treat people these days and mirror your actions," Jack straigtened out.

Chandra returned her glare to the newcomer. " Adderson sent you? Why didn't he call or send word?"

"Because Adderson expected me to make a better impression I guess? And because I just got here last night? I do not pretend to know the mysterious workings of that man," Jack sat down and looked across the table at her. "I really didn't mean any harn, Chandra."

Chandra's eyes narrowed further as she moved herself in front of Cici instinctually. " I don't like how you popped out of nowhere like that or how you know my name. But okay, apology accepted. If Adderson doesn't know who you are when I call you're not going to like what happens, though."

"I didn't pop out of no where. I came from the shadows. I was watching and I thought I was in plain sight, but I guess I must have been standing too far back in the shadows. But instead of calling Mr. Adderson how about we go together personally to see him. I would like to have a lengthy discussion with my old friend about the ways of the world"

" We have something more important to do right now." Chandra said, voice still a little icy. " We need to decide if we want to take de Gaul's case first."

"Of course we should take it. Otherwise we could be sitting here for ages before another case comes our way. We have to make a name for ourselves so the customers line up. Then we can afford not to take a case"

((Co-op with Gyps))

Lethe
07-06-2010, 03:51 AM
Jean-Pierre de Gaul was far from what she had anticipated. In fact, their new client was colossal, appearing to be three or four times her size. Brie Etienne, like the rest of her race, was not a tall individual. Nor did she have aspirations of being anything more than she was. However, in nearly a century and a half of being around humans, seldom had she felt so self-conscious of her diminutive stature. She began to have second thoughts about this meeting; about her presence here and about how very far she was removed from her own comfort zone. A part of her longed to return to the museum where everything was familiar and nothing was unpredictable or out of place.

In an attempt to feel more at ease, she began taking notes in her small leather-bound notebook. Their client wanted to obtain information regarding his brother’s death. Monsieur de Gaul’s unusual description of the manner in which his brother had been killed, was of particular interest to her.

He had stated, “His chest, it was crushed. From all sides. As though he was gripped by a massive fist.”

Brie methodically underlined the words “massive fist” in her notes. Her mind began to consider a dozen different possibilities, exploring what might have been the instrument of his brother’s death.

Although she did not contribute with a question of her own, she carefully took note of the questions asked by others in the room. Brie also studied the photograph Monsieur de Gaul had supplied that was presently being circulated around the room. Her first impression of the photo was that the man was ill looking and far too thin. She could practically count all of his ribs. The majority of Dwarves never quite understood why humans often equated slenderness with beauty. Still, it was evident that the man had far more problems than a skipped meal or two. For even though the man was smiling, it seemed to Brie that there was a deep melancholy about him, as if his eyes had seen far too much and the weight of the world were upon his shoulders. Then again, perhaps she was imagining things; attempting to read far too much from a single photograph.

After Jean-Pierre de Gaul left the room, Chandra took a few moments to berate a newcomer who seemed to be less experienced than many of the others in regard to social graces. He claimed to be hiding in the nonexistent shadows of a well lit office meeting room. Brie had her own secret suspicions that he had been drinking a bit early today and was rather lost in the sauce. She considered offering him some coffee to help clear his head.

Chandra then asked the group if they would accept Monsieur de Gaul as a client.

The timid museum archivist quietly cleared her throat. She had always been apprehensive about speaking in front of groups of people, especially those not of her race.

“I ah believe we should take this case if for no other reason than to find out more about this ‘massive fist’ that supposedly crushed his brother to death from all sides.”

GraftRaven
07-17-2010, 04:27 AM
Krath's perpetual migraine flared at the argument in front of him and he slammed his head on the table in front of him, causing his tail to twitch in surprise. Ihstead of returning to a normal posture he found this one quite comfotable and simply stayed in it. He raised his hand, index finger pointed at the ceiling and voice slightly muffled from his position. "I believe we should take this case as well, if only because I think we're all starting to get a bit bored."

At this point Krath's arm flopped back to the table, then moved slowly to flip the hood of his hoodie over his head, leaving his ears sticking out from the front edge. "That and something has to pay for our... expenses." He added, returning his arm to his side where his hand began to play with one of the chains on his pants. "Or we could give ourselves a bad reputation by refusing our first, and currently only, client."

(Shortness o-O)

The Gypsy Queen
08-02-2010, 08:23 PM
It was easier than Chandra thought it would be to accept de Gaul's case. Lizzie was helping him fill out some forms at the front desk while the Sheridan Agency stayed in the conference room.

" Okay. Well." Chandra started slowly. Cez had always been the leader with the Moretti's, and he was a natural at it. Chandra wasn't sure if she could do what he did. " In my old job, if I needed to find out who offed a guy, I'd start with who the dead guy was. Thanks to our new friend, we know Henri was an upscale lawyer, and our client told us he made some bad decisions and left his wife and kids. So I think we need someone to talk to the wife, the mistress, and maybe visit his firm too, so we'll need those addresses. We need to know where he hung out and what he did, and maybe what kind of cases he had... That's the quickest way to find out what kind of person would want this guy dead. Then I figure we might just put our ears to the ground and see what the word on the street is." Chandra already knew she'd need to ask her soon-to-be ex-brother-in-law if he knew anything, even though she doubted it. " So let's figure out who does what, okay?"

She excused herself from the table while the others set to talking and pulled out her cell phone to call Adderson. He was, apparently, attending to very important business in Chile, but his attendant confirmed the newcomer. His name was Jack and he was indeed an old acquaintance of Adderson. Satisfied but still surly about it, she rejoined the conversation with a small smile, watching as Cici curiously investigated Krath, sniffing and inspecting his ears before reaching up to her own as though to compare.

" Well? What do you guys think about it?" she asked.

Black
08-02-2010, 09:10 PM
"Did you get what you need" Jack asked quietly. He had switched chairs so that he was a single seat away from her to the right. "I honestly did not mean to cause trouble" he said very quietly, as if ashamed that he had embarrassed the entire crew on the first day on the job, as well as making a total ass out of himself. If there was one thing old people liked to do, it was to save face and refrain from embarrassing themselves in whatever they do. Jack especially hated embarrassment, failure, and disrespect for no other reason other than he appeared to be late.

"While you guys look up and research about this guys brother, I could follow De Gaul. I can very easily refrain from being seen" he said, and even as he said it his body seemed to begin to blend in with the background behind him, as if to punctuate his point.

(Sorry for the short post)

John
08-09-2010, 03:17 AM
“Actually,” Caitlyn shot a smile at Jack. “That’s already taken care of.” Caitlyn pulled the tracking device form her purse and slid it to him.

“I think,” Caitlyn turned to Chandra. “That maybe I should go have a chat with our client. Maybe see if I can’t smooth things over a little?” Caitlyn assumed that Mr. DeGaul wouldn’t be that difficult to talk to alone. He was after all a man. And Caitlyn knew how to talk to men. How to tell them just what they wanted to hear.

She had to admit that she was a little surprised at herself right now. It seemed that Caitlyn was more than willing to acknowledge Chandra as the leader of this little venture. But what surprised her most was that Chandra was someone she could use and yet she had no desire to. Caitlyn now considered Chandra a friend and respected her, despite all the differences they had.

Chandra smiled at Caitlyn, pleased to have such a formidable ally on her side. She'd never have thought to put a tracking device on someone's car.

" That sounds good, but be careful. He seems awfully familiar to me, and not in a good way."

“I’m always careful Chandra,” Caitlyn chimed happily and got up from the table and hade towards the door.

“Oh and Chandra,” Caitlyn paused before exiting. “I don’t know if it’s a good idea if anyone else accompanies us to the club.” Not waiting for an answer, Chandra left and made her way to Mr. DeGaul. It appeared he had finished with the paperwork and was now waiting, most impatiently from the look on his face.

“Mister DeGaul, if you would allow me, I would like to apologize for the behaviour of my associate.” Chandra’s posture and demeanour were quite professional. As was her tone, though it had a slight touch of sensuality added to it.

De Gaul shrugged his massive shoulders dismissively.

" All will be forgiven if you can find out what happened to my brother."

“I assure you we will do our best sir.” Caitlyn smiled up at him. “And please allow me to extend my deepest condolences for your loss. This all must be terribly trying for you. In fact if there is anything you need, anything at all, don’t hesitate to let me know. I am at your service.” Caitlyn knew she was attractive by a human’s standards, she only hoped her charm and looks weren’t lost on Mister DeGaul.

De Gaul nodded, shook Caitlyn's hand, and made his way for the door, appearing completely unaffected.

The moment DeGaul was out of the room, Caitlyn made her way to the security monitors and watched him as he made his way to his car. He didn’t even give the car a second glance as he got in and drove away. Caitlyn misled and headed back into the conference room and sat back down, looking at her watch.

“So who’s going where?” Caitlyn glanced at each member of the group before turning back to Chandra. “And don’t forget, I have a stop to make before we go to the club.”

(co op with gypsy)

GraftRaven
08-11-2010, 02:57 AM
Krath's ear's twitched as Cici sniffed around his head and a slight smile flashed across his face, though it was not visible as his face was still buried in the table. "I can do phone records, e-mail accounts, and general mission support up in the lab, just let me know if you need anything, i believe we have each other's numbers, yes?" He asked, lifting his head and catching Cici checking her own ears. "My dear girl, yours may not be as large as mine, but they are much prettier with their color."

His hood fell off his head as he sat up and got out of his chair and headed over to Caitlyn. He stopped behind her chair, chains clinking slightly as he stopped. "By the way, if you could get me the locator number on that tracking device i would be happy to monitor it for you." He moved toward the door, not really caring about what was going on, but pausing with his hand on the door in case anyone wanted to call him back and and bother him about how 'mission support' would be routed through him.

((as if i couldn't make that hint any bigger, last chance to push Krath's buttons before he disappears into the computer cave.))

Lethe
08-23-2010, 03:49 AM
In Brie Etienne’s estimation, Chandra seemed to offer the best suggestion regarding how they should proceed.

“In my old job, if I needed to find out who offed a guy, I'd start with who the dead guy was. Thanks to our new friend, we know Henri was an upscale lawyer, and our client told us he made some bad decisions and left his wife and kids. So I think we need someone to talk to the wife, the mistress, and maybe visit his firm too, so we'll need those addresses. We need to know where he hung out and what he did, and maybe what kind of cases he had... That's the quickest way to find out what kind of person would want this guy dead. Then I figure we might just put our ears to the ground and see what the word on the street is.”

Now that Brie understood what was expected of her, she politely offered to interview the wife of the deceased.

“Ah, if no one else objects, I’d like to interview Mrs. Emilie de Gaul. According to the information provided, her home isn’t very far away at all. If she is available to meet with me, I should be able to speak with her within the hour.”

Within a handful of minutes, the timid museum archivist had departed the building and made her way through a series of side streets until she came across the somewhat faded sign for Capucine’s Café, which boasted about its Royal Street blend coffee. The rich scent of coffee wafted through the warm air as she turned down an alley to where it dead-ended just behind what appeared to be a nondescript cast iron lamp stand. She paused for several moments, reaching out with her keen magically attuned senses to be certain that no one had followed her.

Brie raised her cane (http://www.tglass.net/SBC/Canes/7745%20Ash%20spiral%20wood%20cane.jpg) with her left hand, and with the tip of it began to trace an unusual shape into the air. As if the air itself were a tangible surface able to be written on, the form of an ancient rune (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Runic_letter_algiz.png) briefly appeared hovering above the ground, brilliantly glowing after the fashion of freshly molten metal. As quickly as the rune had appeared, an opening materialized that only she could detect, that lead into the bowels of the earth. This was but one of many magical doorways leading into the Dwarven Tunnel Network. Traversing this elaborate system was a convenient way for Dwarves to travel beneath many of the world’s major cities, New Orleans included. A mere fifteen minutes later, the short-statured woman exited the tunnel system in an altogether different section of the city.

She opened her small leather-bound notebook within which she had carefully written the address of Mrs. Emilie de Gaul. Three blocks later she was standing directly in front of a spacious Victorian style home in Uptown New Orleans that appeared to be built sometime near the end of the 19th century. She was pleased to note that the house contained many of its original wood fixtures. It appeared to be authentically furnished and restored.

Taking a deep breath, she used her cane to assist her in traversing the handful of steps leading to the front door. She rang the front doorbell.

The woman who answered the door was a blonde, with the look of someone who was most beautiful when smiling. Unfortunately, she also bore the look of woman who hadn't smiled in a long time. Her blue eyes were bloodshot, and she was dressed in a casual tee-shirt and leisure pants.

“Hello, may I help you?" she asked, a tiny quiver in her voice as she spoke.

Brie smiled courteously as she deliberately shifted her weight to lean more heavily upon her cane.

“Excuse me, Madam. My name is Dr. Brie Etienne. I’m with the New Orleans Museum of History and Art. We are considering doing an exhibit on Victorian era homes. Your home was recommended as one we might feature, and I can tell by the fanciful spires and ornate gingerbread pattern on the above gable, that it is truly the epitome of Queen Anne architectural style. And it’s so beautifully preserved. You must be quite proud. If I could have but a few moments of your time?”

Emilie bit her lip gently, but opened the door a bit wider.

"I'm sorry, the house is a bit of a mess right now, we're going through a very difficult time... you'd probably prefer to come back later?

The archivist nodded politely. “I completely understand and would be most happy to schedule an appointment to return at a more convenient time. Please take one of my cards.”

Brie opened her bag and removed one of her cards from the museum. As she began to hand it over, her left ankle trembled. She began to topple over backwards but then steadied herself by reaching hold of the banister. She winced in pain, but quickly apologized.

“I apologize. It’s difficult for me to stand for long periods.”

Some unspoken conflict raged behind Emilie's eyes, but finally she opened the door fully.

"I'm sorry, please come in and rest. I can get you a glass of water if you'd like, and we can talk about the house."

The Dwarf exhaled in relief. “Merci. I would very much appreciate a glass of water.”

She gratefully followed the woman into the pleasantly cool interior of her home. Brie found it difficult to refrain from nervously chewing on her lower lip. It had easily been a dozen years since she had last stepped foot into a human’s private residence.

“Ahh.” Brie couldn’t help but take notice of several of the home’s finer attributes. “These bay windows are breathtaking! And the stained glass accents… such vivid colors. Not to mention the furniture. That rosewood settee appears to even have its original upholstery, and in pristine condition as well. Surely, Madam, you and your husband must be so proud of such a home.”

Brie paused to take a seat in a high-backed mahogany rocking chair.

(Co-op with Gypsy)