PDA

View Full Version : Experimenting with Food: Log

Vaidia
09-13-2012, 12:24 AM
A log for some of the foods and recipes that I make for myself. I'm not very exact with any of my recipes, as I just tend to throw things together and hope it works out (it usually does). Let's start this out with one of my classic meals.

Epic Ramen.

Ingredients:

1 pack Ramen (beef or oriental or Shitake)
Beef (about 1/4 pound)
Soy Sauce
Ponzu
Minced Garlic (dried)
Ground Ginger
Sesame seeds
2-4 Green onions, depending on how much green is on them
1 Egg (or two if you are really hungry)
Mushrooms (Shitake work really well, but an
Sriracha Sauce
2-3 Garlic Cloves
Butter
Canola/Vegetable/Olive Oil (I use whatever I have on hand, and there is not too much variety between them for me in the long run).

Process:

Step 1: The Beef

This is if you have frozen beef. Thaw it slightly, but still have it slightly frozen (it makes it easier to cut). Cut it into strips or slices, usually about .25-.75cm thick. Place beef in a smaller bowl. Take the soy sauce and Ponzu and put a little less than a table spoon in each as a marinade. Season with a tablespoon of minced garlic, and about 2-3 teaspoons of ground ginger. Let marinade in bowl for about ten minutes.

Put enough oil to over the pan healthily, and cook the beef up to about mediumish. Put it aside, and save the juices that are left in the pan. VERY IMPORTANT.

Step 2: Noodles

Take as much water as you want broth, and put it on the stove to boil. Take the juices from cooking the beef that you saved, and add them in. Peel the garlic cloves, and place them in whole into the water (or cut them in half/thirds if they are monstrous).

While the water is heating up, start to cut the green onions. The way I cut them up is that the white to light green parts are long, around an inch in length. The darker green parts of it are about under a centimeter in length.

Cut the mushrooms into whatever shape that you wish, though I prefer strips.

When the water is boiling, add a third of the beef strips, noodles, and the flavor packet in. Let it simmer until the noodles are about halfway done. Add in the green onions, mushrooms, and crack open the egg into it. Wait a little bit for the egg to finish cooking, usually about 2-3 minutes, and theb removes from heat.

Pour into a larger bowl (it should all fit into one). Add as much sriracha sauce as you want (it is spicy).

Enjoy!

Other notes: I tend to modify the recipe with whatever I have on hand. I threw some cabbage stuff into this before, and that was pretty good. Or I put some fresh ginger slivers into the mix just to make life more interesting. So, be spontaneous with this recipe! It tends to lead to many a yummy things.

Echo
09-13-2012, 02:03 AM
I absolutely love instant ramen :3
But rarely do I ever spice it up, I get too lazy to do so...

But I always, always add a lot of siracha. It's heavenly. xD

Vaidia
09-13-2012, 03:09 AM
When you make the ramen like this, it doesn't taste instant any longer. But I get lazy too. In which case I just poach an egg with the ramen, sriracha it up and I'm still pretty content. But, I think it is time for another recipe, since I do have a bunch typed out already. Another one of my favorites, actually, this one from my grandma.

Bologna Soup

Ingredients:
Butter
Water
Onions
Bologna
White bread

Procedure:

Melt butter in a pan. Wait until it is hot, add onions cut into larger pieces and bologna cut into small squares. Cook until onion is translucent and Bologna lightly cooked. Don't brown the onions. Add in enough water for broth, but don't dilute the butter too much. Let simmer for a little until broth is golden in color. Pour into a bowl and eat with a piece of white bread.

SO GOOD.