PDA

View Full Version : The mental wars ooc (M)

Rasha
05-05-2010, 09:17 PM
Cannibalism, violence, extreme tragedy, intense intimacy

First let us begin with some back story. If you want the short and sweet version skip down to the link and ask me to post a short summarized version.

Biology.

A psyath is essentially a three foot tall humanoid with the simple and familiar shape of two arms, two legs, and a head. Their skin was usually palest white and while they weren't too different from us in shape or biology their mentality was entirely different.

The first intelligent race.

Psyaths were quite a simple race as mere creatures but seemed gifted with two rare commodities. The intelligence to form large packs of more than one hundred, and psychic power. They lived in peace with the land and soon developed a simple language

The daily life of the psyaths.

Before all of this started the psyaths were a simple and peaceful race of psychics living on the island of psiot which they named partly after themselves. Psychic power was also a name based on their massive egos. Daily life was simple for them. They used their powers to fish and to farm in their early tribal days. Disputes were solved quickly and decisively in one on one mental combat. Grudges and anger however were almost non existent and fights were rare and only happened when necessary. Soon fire was discovered and used to cook the fish and hut didn't come long after that replacing simple twig nests. Farming was taken up soon and the wealth of food without pollution caused the population to skyrocket on this little island paradise.

The fall of paradise.

Sadly as population increased the island soon became full. People had to literally kill each other for space. Dead bodies were heaped upon the farmland to act as a kind of fertilizer and the bones were used to craft tools to take some of the work load off the mind such as swords and shields.

A new hope for peace.

After decades of war a small group began to heavily desire a way to another land. They couldn't leave however because it was too far to swim to the nearby landmass. An idea came to their grand leader Kai when he saw a lily pad floating in an inland lake with a frog sitting on it. He came up with the idea of tying tree trunks together with vines after cutting them down with bone axes. In a few short weeks the first raft in history had been invented but not without being seen by others nearby. Word spread fast after Kai successfully sailed away from the island with his family, some food, and a few oars on board. about a week after he'd reached the mainland several rafts also arrived.

Expansion.

The mentality of the Psyaths meant that expanding and making new towns didn't occur until lack of space forced it. This caused the cycle of: Build new town, move half of overpopulated town in, reproduce, overpopulate, and war with each other and anyone else who gets in the way to repeat for eons. Technology was invented rapidly in these constant wars and soon they were even on par with us.

Eons later.

The hivemind of the Psyaths was created when they did crazy experiments on themselves on their home island Psiot. There dna was drastically altered to improve their rare psychic abilities and nanobots throughout their bloodstream were injected in order to maintain their bodies and in effect lengthen their lifespans. Something went horribly right with their experiment however. The raw psychic energy they created daily in their tasks steadily influenced the nanobots. they became conduits to the power. All that energy tampered with their programming. They no longer wanted to simply maintain their hosts but control them. They even found a way to manipulate that very energy to contact each other by keeping the psyaths mind a forced and unbreakable link. The nanobot masters however were not satisfied with this small island. They wanted the world as we know it. They began to abduct other beings Psyath and non Psath from the surrounding world and injected those very nanobots into them. Some didn't come freely and the great war began. This was a battle on two fronts. physical resistance abounded on the great campaign to enslave the world known as the mental wars but it went even deeper than that. The creatures forcefully drawn into the hivemind could still think for themselves to a degree. They offered resistance on the very mental realm of the hivemind itself fighting tooth and nail. Now it would seem that you have been drawn into this war for the planet. The question is are you on the physical battlefield or the mental one and more importantly which side are you on?

The start of the war

Of course Psyaths weren't the only people to fight in this war. Others were made to join in as well if for no other reason than self defense. The most prominent of these outside groups were the coastal tribes of Decatis with aid from Edovites, Simnu, Lothatei, and a strange red goo. They occupied the eastern coast of the western continent as well as the western coast of the eastern continent. They inhabited the coasts and therefore were the first to see this invasion coming from neighboring Psyath cities. We have them surrounded and outnumbered. Sadly though the enemy doesn't have to kill us. All they must do is... corrupt us.

Our humble story begins in the creature stage of all species. The technology of the Psyaths has not yet fully developed and it's now time for you to get acquainted with future allies (or enemies).

http://i45.tinypic.com/331qhi1.png (http://i45.tinypic.com/331qhi1.png)

Map originally made by Zeehero

Rules:

Rp rule standards:

No auto hit, dodge, godmod, autolearn language (Unless being thought at by a psychic), be respectful. Please try to keep arguing down. You need the permission of the player in question to extinct his/her race. etc.

Accept my judgment or that of any mods I appoint.

Ask permission before developing any ground shattering tech or messing with the world on a large scale (No nuking things without my say so.)

Species sheets:

Species:
General location:
Appearance (Picture or description):
General abilities:
General culture (Personality of race):
Tech level (If starting above creature. Mods and game creators only. Extra power to regulate overall plot):

All of that is required you can add more if you so choose.

I already mentioned my Psyaths more or less but

Decatis

Decatis are very large thickly armored catfish with very large sharp teeth and highly sensitive eyes. The whiskers on the body sometimes glow with electrical impulse but only during prolonged use which is quite rare. They have a simple main body (Covered with whiskers which secrete a glue like substance allowing adaptable boneless limbs beyond what I'm about to mention.) with a dorsal fin, a tail fin, two pectoral fins and two ventral fins. Other than white eyes and teeth their scales are brown. They live around ten to twenty years, and are found in packs of three or four. They swim at speeds of 15 per hour usually, but are known to move as speeds as fast as 35 miles per hour.

Decatis live in tropical waters in the ocean between the eastern and western lands as well as the near the tropical shoreline of said ocean.

Decatis feed on Peace Whales. Thirty foot long, slow moving, well armored, and harmless.

Decatis mate based on personal desire through the will of their master the tinge and external egg fertilization.

Decatis are a proud, arrogant, aggressive, warrior race. Even their own young weren't entirely safe until the tinge took command of them. The tinge is the one thing they serve and would never betray.

The Tinge are simple, but complex by working as a group. You see, they are viruses of a sort, but slightly more complex. They odd biology suggest possible extraterrestrial origin, possibly brought here with the Noseferatas, most likely on accident. They were probably not dangerous on their home planet, or on this one until peace whale numbers became low enough for them to form sizes large enough for intelligence. Tinge are small enough to enter cells and make changes, and have flagella all around their body, and are capable of basic sense and creation of electricity for communication, and it allows larger masses to form a sort of fused muscle and mind, along with fusing to and altering already living tissues.

They are many tiny parts all working together for something dangerous. They feed by ripping things to bits and absorbing them, infecting like a normal virus, and can create a light acid and absorb the slurry left of their prey. They leave nothing of corpses.

Massive red clouds are formed by the tinge in large numbers and they can even create living buildings as well as influencing life on both a physical and mental level. They will most likely be the main enemy of the hivemind.

The Tinge believe in mental control and improvement of their allies on all levels.

Species: Simnu
General location: Inside the Decatis. Literally. They move around the body at various points of their life cycle, but most Simnu live out their entire lives in a single Decatis host.
General abilities: Technically, very few extraneous ones. They can survive in both fresh and salt water for some hours outside of a Decatis host, and their eggs and larvae can live on other aquatic animals, but beyond that they have little, if anything, special about them. In adulthood, Simnu are extremely efficient at cleaning up the waste products of their host and filtering out other impurities, whilst in their larval stage they demonstrate a considerable tolerance towards pathogens, absorbing them harmlessly and protecting their host whilst simultaneously making themselves lethal to anything which tries to ingest them.
General culture: Simnu operate as individualistic colonial organisms, which means that they act as a single entity despite having unique sentient minds. This is because a Simnu on its own has very little chance of survival or reproductive opportunities, but both can be maximized by working together. Simnu are intelligent enough to know that the quality of their lives depend on that of their host, and so endeavor to weed out the scroungers amongst their number and ensure that only the most productive of their species survive. Quite aside from strengthening the gene pool, this early form of selective breeding also accelerates the rate of mutation and has resulted in a number of sub-species capable of surviving as parasites to Decatis and non-Decatis alike, as well as feral types that can range from a tenth of the normal size to nearly seven times larger.

Mostly Simnu are small worms not large enough to be viewed.

Stream
05-05-2010, 10:20 PM
Moved your other thread to the recycle bin for you.

Don't forget, you can contact Mysteria about becoming the RP of the Week (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=905) and getting front page exposure, and to post a recruitment thread in the Roleplay Directory.

Rasha
05-05-2010, 10:23 PM
Thank you.

I'm already in directory but I'll pm mysteria next. Also why does it say we can't pm? I'm limited to one pm in the box which is a bit strict but certainly not a complete stop. I've already pmed Anne actually.

Stream
05-05-2010, 10:26 PM
Right, it's to stop the many spammers that sign up for the site every day.

It's a bit daunting at first, but because you've already created a RP, I'm sure you'll be lifted to member status soon.

For now, you'll have to delete every sent PM and every received PM in order to talk to people.

Don't forget, you can just copy and paste that form into word or something and fill it out, and there's plenty of digital artists on RPA with request shops in the Creative Arts forum.

Rasha
05-05-2010, 10:30 PM
Yeah I probably should ask some artists to make pics of the creatures and such by I did have those massively detailed descriptions just lying around from the other forum. Well would you like to join or just stopping in to say hi and such?

Stream
05-05-2010, 10:36 PM
Just saying hi, as I'm not joining anything else right now because I can't manage my time.

Rasha
05-05-2010, 11:00 PM
Eh it happens to the best of us at some point or another. Well see ya later.

Ohbad-Hai
05-06-2010, 04:15 AM
Ok, this seems interesting. But, seems a bit foggy. Umm, hmm. So basically we are a race of some sort, infected by a microbial intruder which is either controlling or protecting us. As well as being at the creature stage, so before tech. Like bone, stone and wood. Or bronze, iron or steel? Or is it sort of an RTS RP?. Sorry if I seem a lil confused, cause it does seem to jump in some spots, and would like some clarity.

Rasha
05-06-2010, 12:54 PM
You design a race of creatures and possibly have groups get infected by tinge or other microbial beings later in the story. The closer you start to the tropical areas the more likely the tinge will find you early on. As for developing tech this isn't a role play where time is commonly measured in days. Years can pass between posts. This is so that you can watch as your creature and the creatures of others get smarter and develop new technology. As their understanding and abilities grow you become more powerful but so does everyone else. It's more turn based because posts are the way to take action. As for the jumping around that was just to give a general overview of the Psyaths. Any other questions?

Stream
05-16-2010, 05:11 PM
You've been featured as the RP of the Week (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?p=220783#post220783).

Rasha
05-16-2010, 10:57 PM
Now to hope for some members... Maybe this forum just isn't interested in species rps.

Ludypoof379
05-17-2010, 08:05 PM
I love the concept of the mental war but the species is a new thing to me. I might be able to do it but it's a stretch. So you want us to create new species of their own? I don't know but it might be a good idea to make up a few other ideas that we can base it off of.

John
05-17-2010, 08:18 PM
This looks like a great RP concept. If you want to gain some more exposure for your RP, click here (http://www.role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3975)

Rasha
05-17-2010, 09:25 PM
Try thinking of your favorite animal and then ways you could make it cooler or more powerful. I liked catfish but thought they weren't tough enough and the Decatis were born. What's your favorite animal and what improvements can you think of being cool pretty much.

Ludypoof379
05-17-2010, 10:07 PM
Alrighty. I will work on it. I prefer pictures when creating profiles but photo bucket is being a pain.

Rasha
05-17-2010, 11:01 PM
I can wait. We all have something we can do to pass the time. I for one to horrible things to large collections of ones and zeros...

Ludypoof379
05-18-2010, 10:39 PM
All right. I see you have a species sheet but you have no character sheet. Are we supposed to just use the species sheet? You aren't very clear about how to make profiles and such either. Please clarify because I'm confused.

Shifty
05-19-2010, 01:42 AM
This is how you do it, right? just fill out the sheet?

Species: Volryk
General location: Edge of forested ares, often near rivers or lakes.
Appearance: anywhere from 6 to 8 feet tall, reddish brown to black or dark green scales. reptilian, small tail. Many large, sharp teeth. Eyes are often yellow or orange. Jaw is split into three parts; one top part and two bottom ones, can't tell when closed. mostly carnivorous, but can eat some plants.
General abilities:Great strength, quick wit, quick learners. Intimidating.
General culture:Militaristic/honor culture, tribal. Truth and trust highly respected. War is common among tribes. Most disputes are decided with wrestling matches or fights to the death. Main leader is a warlord. Losing honor is worse than death.
Tech level: basic tribal. fire has been discovered. most tools are wood, stone and bone.

Rasha
05-19-2010, 02:10 AM
That was a very good example of a basic species sheet. As for making characters:

Name:
Appearance:
Personality:
Abnormalities: A weird birthmark, abnormally tall, Basically extreme differences from the normal race.

Would you guys like to start now or wait for Ludy? I'll give you a general idea of my starting characters and such once it's time to start.

Also I'm going to assume the Volryk are quadrupeds. Am I right?

Ludypoof379
05-19-2010, 02:18 AM
Go ahead and start.

Shifty
05-19-2010, 02:19 AM
yep, correct. They can walk upright to hold items or to become taller and scan surroundings, but for speed they go on all fours. They have a very hunched over posture when they are upright, and are more vulnerable.

Rasha
05-19-2010, 02:21 AM
Okay nice. I'll get right on posting the characters. Mine will be a bit more abstract as what I mentioned earlier is a guideline not an unbreakable law. Check the in context thread in a few minutes.

Characters are up. As the creator I decided to start late tribal just before civilizations would pop up. A little extra power to regulate the story so to speak. Feel free to ask for details on the exotic biotech Abaddon employs as well as what the Decatis have developed.

Shifty
05-19-2010, 02:53 AM
Interesting. I like the genetic engineering part. So simple, and yet so mind boggling! Well, here's my character, a Volryk. One question, though: Are the only gene and mind altering creatures the Tinge and and Simnu? Also, can the Simnu live in a host that lives on land?

Name:Fostryk Vordos
Appearance:8 feet tall when standing upright. Dark green scales. breight yellow eyes.
Personality:Fostryk was always an interesting individual. When he was young, he didn't fight with the other children almost ever. He was always in the forest, observing things or hunting. His tribe began to worry as he became more and more separated from them. Eventually he was confronted by their leader, who gave him an ultimatum; learn to fight and help the tribe, or leave forever. Fostryk, being as sensible as he was, decided to learn to fight. He excelled at it, defeating almost every opponent. When he was an adult, his tribe went to war. Fostryk, despite his hatred for killing his own kind, fought and killed over 30 members of the opposing tribe. After that, he challenged his tribe's leader and defeated him, becoming the leader himself. Under his rule, his tribe renounced war unless it was necesarry for the survival of the tribe. Instead he centered on teaching and science, learning to craft better tools of bronze and iron and to build permanent housing, not the holes dug into the ground they currently had.
Abnormalities: A genius among Volryk. Dislikes war, would rather learn and observe. loves to create. Excellent fighter. Born leader

Rasha
05-19-2010, 02:59 AM
There will be the nanobots but that's later. The simnu can't live in land people yet but perhaps later.

Also please make sure not to gain the metal and housing right away. Work towards it. The point of me having it was to make regulation of the story easy and a logical occurrence. I shouldn't want people right behind me or at least not at first.

Shifty
05-19-2010, 03:03 AM
Alright. I may start when Fostryk is about 16. Volryk become adults around 25, and he din't challeng his tribe's leader until he was almost 50-55 years old. Volryk culture when he was 16 would be very, very basic. just fire, sticks and stones, nothing more. Also, sceintific advancements didn't really happen until he was almost 70. a lot can happne in 60 years.

Rasha
05-19-2010, 03:16 AM
Perfect. Now which of the two continents are you on and how close to the tropics? It determines what you'll be meeting early on.

Shifty
05-19-2010, 03:21 AM
The southeast part of the eastern continent on the map you provided, near the middle of it. Most of the tribes have sprouted up near clearings in the jungles or next to the plains, mostly in the interior of the continent. Fostryk's tribe is unusual in that it is along the sea that almost separates the eastern continent, rather far away from any largely forested area, but well within what I assume are this planet's equivalents of the tropics of Cancer and Capricorn. hope that answers your question.

Rasha
05-19-2010, 03:24 AM
Quite extensively yes. I've got a first enemy planned for you, as well as some basic neutral animals, and maybe an ally. All that's left before you start is to make a first post starting the story rolling in context. I'll decide what you meet first depending on what you post.

Shifty
05-19-2010, 08:46 PM
So, will if follow just my character ot the his entire tribe? also how far should I go as far as time. just a few days, or months, or years? sorry for all the questions, but I like to know how far i can go.

Rasha
05-19-2010, 09:03 PM
Days for big story events, months for society changes, and I do years.

Shifty
05-19-2010, 09:23 PM
I'll start with Fostryk's tribe, but several years before he is born, when they are still very primitive. Is that okay?

Ludypoof379
05-19-2010, 09:37 PM
Hey I'm sorry but I can't post it today. Things have come up and I can't. Latest I'll get it up by Sunday. Earliest by Friday.

Rasha
05-19-2010, 09:59 PM
That perfectly fine guys. I should probably mention I'll be gone for most of memorial day weekend.

Shifty
05-20-2010, 12:34 AM
Well, the Vraar are pretty cool. Very interesting indeed. Fire breath, massive spikes. An interesting introduction to the Volryk as well. Question though. Is the healing a natural ability, or is it caused by something else?

Rasha
05-20-2010, 12:36 AM
It's natural but it has a serious drawback if used on too big a wound. Well one for combat and one for if the Vraar survives afterwords. Sadly you don't get to see the latter just yet. The former is kinda obvious.

Ludypoof379
05-22-2010, 01:57 PM
I'm sorry. I don't like your form of role playing. I won't be joining.

Rasha
05-22-2010, 02:30 PM
Trying to scare him so much? He made a race that loved to fight so I started it with a series of fights. What's wrong with that?

Ludypoof379
05-22-2010, 02:35 PM
Not my type to play lol.

Rasha
05-22-2010, 02:44 PM
Not to mention I never said you couldn't just make a character in an existing species with its owners permission.