PDA

View Full Version : [M] Warhammer 40K: The Replicants - recruitment and OOC

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Azazeal849
02-07-2013, 09:12 PM
Rated M for distressing situations, violence, and potential language and drug references.

Link to IC (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=40923)

THE REPLICANTS

From the surface of Vitaris, the distant sun took on the hard, pale milkiness of a cataracted eye, blinded by the dust storms that periodically scoured the surface. The world might have been habitable 70 million years ago, before the solar wind flensed away a critical volume of its atmosphere and left its surface water to gradually sublimate away into space. Now the dessicated husk of the world lay as a skeletal landscape of basalt and granite, under a thick layer of pumice dust. The finer particles drifted in a cloying layer near the ground, forming a shroud over the dead world.

The funereal silence was disturbed as a figure burst through the dust curtain, running awkwardly in his black exo-suit. His limping, staggering run was partly due to the dead world's high gravity, and partly due to the limp body of a second figure that he was carrying in his arms, this one suited in dark red. The runner was making for the blocky, angular shape of a mechanicus lander that lay in the centre of the ash plain, standing out against the grey with its hull liveried in the same weathered red as the runner's comrade. The grinning half-bionic skull on the lander's side swung down towards him as a boarding ramp lowered.

"Noyer?" asked a man in a black jumpsuit as the runner staggered through the inner airlock, "What happened?"

The runner wiped a film of dust from his visor with a gloved hand, revealing dark eyes and a lantern jaw that was shadowed with stubble despite recent shaving.

"We have to go." he said as he dropped the other figure onto the steel-plated deck, "We have to lift off and get out of here now!"

The red-suited figure lay unmoving on the floor. The helmet's visor had been smashed and left open to the thin, unbreathable atmosphere outside. Behind the splintered polycarbonate was the face of a middle-aged woman, pale-faced and blue-lipped from asphyxiation. One eye was a blue-lensed bionic; the other was dark brown and widened in abject horror. A half-suited man in the same red as the dead woman fell to his knees beside her, his own augmetics clicking and whirring.

"Omnissiah's truth!" he cursed, "What happened to Briseis?"

"The cave." Noyer gasped, snapping his helmet seals and wrenching it off his head in a hiss of venting air pressure. His black hair was plastered down with sweat. "A pyramid, some kind of guard tower, xenotech..."

The man on the floor traced a circle on his chest, marking the the cog-sign to ward off the evil of Noyer's words. The man in black signed the Aquila in an Imperial equivalent, but for a different reason. As a PDF Aeronautica veteran, Group Captain Conrad Noyer was normally unflappable. To see their mission commander so visibly rattled didn't bode well for any of them.

"It fired some kind of green lightning bolt at us." Noyer finished, becoming slightly calmer as he caught his breath, "It hit adept De Reuter in the face. There wasn't anything I could do. But this planet's not dead - we need to get back to Venatora and tell the governor."

"I'll tell Krichbaum to fire up the engines." the man in black said at once.

"What about Briseis' equipment?" said the man in red, still kneeling beside the dead tech-priestess, "What about the servitors?"

"Frak the servitors, Farrier!" the man in black said savagely, "We have to get out of here now!"

The tech adept called Farrier didn't answer - instead he pulled his helmet from the mag-lock at his belt, donned it, and pushed past Noyer into the airlock before anyone could stop him.

"Farrier!" both Noyer and the man in black shouted. The man in black slammed his palm against the inner door as the locks thunked shut and the airlock began to cycle, unable to follow without a void-suit of his own. "Frakking cogboys!"

Adept Farrier ran as fast as he could through the haze of dust, relying on the auspex mounted to his suit's forearm to guide his way. He whispered praise to the machine as its locator pings cut through the murk in a way his flawed organic eyes could not. Noyer and Vega didn't understand - that much was clear from their protests across the vox until he deliberately shut it off. The vat-grown servitors that they had sent out to set up a perimeter, though valuable, were ultimately expendable. De Reuter's equipment, as a holy instrument of the Machine God, was not.

He followed the signal, the same signal that they had been sent all this way to investigate. It had started beaming out across the void two weeks ago, just as the planets of Venatora and Vitaris were approaching opposition. Here, on the surface of Vitaris, it almost swamped his auspex with its increased strength. He downtuned the device to compensate and retraced his fellow explorators' steps. When he found himself approaching a cave, like a black gash in the wall of the canyon that described their landing site, he knew he was on the right track.

It was dark inside the cave, but Farrier didn't reach up to activate the torch mounted on the side of his helmet. A faint green glow was already pulsing from the tunnel ahead of him. Adept Farrier was not sufficiently augmented as to be immune to fear, but he swallowed hard and continued. To wilfully leave the Omnissiah's gifts behind on this forsaken world would be worse than letting his own organic form perish.

He felt something crunch under his boot, although the only sound he could hear was his own quiet breathing amplified within the confines of his helmet. He looked down. Plastic shards, from a void-suit visor. This must be where adept De Reuter had been hit, Omnissiah rest her soul. He didn't see the significance of the jagged piece of rock that had been dropped nearby. He did, however, see the silver box of surveying equipment, stamped with the skull and cog of the mechanicus, that lay just ten metres ahead of him.

"Thank the Omnissiah..." the young adept breathed as he ran forward to pick it up, his unaugmented arms struggling with the weight in the higher gravity. And then he raised his head as he registered the widening of the tunnel ahead of him, and the cavern beyond from which the green light came.

The source of the glow was a sharp-sided pyramid rising out of the basalt ground, almost like a spike that had thrust up through the floor. Whereas the cavern floor was dull grey and covered in irregularities that were thrown into relief by the green light, the pyramid was smooth and glossy black, almost like obsidian. The surface was covered in grooves through which liquid light seemed to flow, pulsing upwards in green channels. Farrier didn't even notice that his auspex had overloaded and shut down. His eyes were fixed on the pyramid and what lay beneath it - a prone figure with smoke rising from its torn black void-suit.

+ + + + + +

"There he is." Vega said as the external cameras picked out adept Farrier's heat signature running back towards the lander. "Frak sake."

"I'll get him." Noyer offered, moving back through the cramped interior towards the airlock. Vega followed. The inner door opened as the two men reached it, to reveal Farrier with De Reuter's case in one hand and a laspistol in the other, the latter aimed squarely at Group Captain Noyer.

"Get away from him!" the tech adept shouted in warning, "That's not Noyer!"

"What are you...?" was as far as Noyer got before Farrier shot him three times through the chest.

"Farrier!" Vega yelled out, "Krichbaum! Get a medikit!"

Vega's hand clawed for his own sidearm, but he was outdrawn. By Noyer.

The shot mission commander unholstered the las weapon strapped to the leg of his exo-suit and fired in the blink of an eye, hurling Farrier back against the airlock door. The tech adept gasped, his pistol clattering to the ground from his nerveless fingers. As he slid down the door, a faint green light began to pulse, reflecting off the grey plasteel. The light was emanating from Noyer as the Group Captain slowly straightened.

"Commander?" Vega asked hesitantly. The confusion in his eyes was just beginning to curdle into suspicion when Noyer's second lasbolt hit him in the forehead, splitting his skull open with the overpressure of vaporised brain matter. When Krichbaum belatedly came running with a medipack in her hands, Noyer shot her too. Now alone in the lander, the Group Captain looked around. A crackle of green lightning sparked across his eyes.

Hi everybody, and welcome to my second attempt at GMing on RPA. This story takes places within an existing continuity (that of SandQueen's A Wash Of Black series) but is set several years earlier and is not related to the original storyline. As such, characters old and new are both welcome.

RULES

You all know the standard RPA rules so I won't repeat them here, but there are a couple of my own that I'd like to add.

Please write all IC posts in third person past tense. That is, "John stood up", never "John stands up" or "I stood up".
If you're including another player's text to help put your IC posts in context, please indicate it with a different colour; please don't use quote boxes in the IC.
Please leave a message in the OOC thread if you're going to be away for a while. If you run out of inspiration and want to quit that's also fine, but please have the courtesy to let us know that you're leaving so that other players aren't left waiting around for you.

RP BACKGROUND

Venatora is an unremarkable system in the Ixaniad sector, Segmentum Obscuras, named after its single habitable planet. The planet itself is a heavily populated Civilised World with healthy trade links to the neighbouring Daargard system and the rather more distant Solomon. It is mostly famous for a bloody war fought in early M37, in which a Necron tomb awakened from the core of the planet's single moon. The highly-advanced xenos quickly overran the lunar outposts and mounted attacks on the planet below. Despite heavy losses, the PDF was able to hold the line until reinforcements arrived from Daargard. When they appeared they were unexpectedly joined by an Eldar fleet, believed to originate from craftworld Kaelor. Though unexpected and uninvited, the Eldar assisted the Imperial Navy in bombing Venatora's moon into gravel, reducing it to the series of rings that now orbit the planet in its place. The great victory over the surviving Necrons that followed is celebrated on Venatora to this day. Naturally, the histories omit the involvement of the alien Eldar, and the catastrophic climate changes that were only mitigated by the Adeptus Mechanicus deploying massive grav-anchor stations in orbit around the planet.

Venatora's current tithe grade is Exactis Prima, and as well as the periodic Imperial Guard levy it exports foodstuffs, minerals, and machinery from the many Ad Mech foundries present in the major cities. The current planetary regent of Venatora is governor Malachi Faroven.

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20070602133656/dune/images/e/e1/Dune1.jpg
Age: 69 Venatoran, 75 Terran standard (juvenat assisted)
Profile: Governor Faroven is known for being decisive, confident, and good at managing the disparate and labyrinthine departments of Imperial bureaucracy. As near as the Administratum can determine, he is a competent and diligent servant of the Emperor.

Your characters are inquisition agents in the employ of inquisitor lord Immanuel Sidonis. Sidonis commands a truly monolithic staff with agents and support personnel active across several sub-sectors, and your character is unlikely to have met him in person. They may however be familiar with some of his subordinates, such as field agent Lawrence Van Der Mir and chief logistician McKenzie von Rousch.

In the present day (605.M41, six months after the highly-classified Pembroke Incident) your characters are part of a team dispatched to Venatora as part of one of Sidonis' many ongoing operations in the sector: an investigation into the illegal trafficking of alien artefacts. Venatora is one of several worlds the xenotech dealer has been known to frequent and the team have been placed there for a pre-emptive sting operation, managed from afar by one of lord Sidonis' senior agents, interrogator Javid Schafer. Your characters will know Schafer (though not necessarily well), having worked with him before.

http://m.gmgrd.co.uk/sbres/903.$plit/C_67_article_2101395_body_articleblock_0_bodyimage .jpg?12%2F10%2F2011%2013%3A29%3A57%3A214
Age: 41 Terran standard, 76 by the calendar of his homeworld of Spartax (which earns him the nickname "old man" behind his back)
Profile: Javid is a dynamic and task-focused man, and he looks to inspire these traits in his subordinates. Although sometimes impatient and blunt to the point of rudeness, he has a deserved reputation as a man who gets things done.

It is a relatively low risk and low priority assignment, but things changed dramatically a couple of weeks ago when orbital relay stations picked up a mysterious signal, emanating from Venatora's supposedly dead sister planet Vitaris. Governor Faroven responded quickly, organising a joint venture with the Ad Mech to send a small explorator mission to investigate the source of the signal. The leader of the team was Aeronautica group captain Conrad Noyer.

http://www.jasmology.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/christian-grey-as-Ian-ian-somerhalder-17987587-485-523.jpg
Profile: With several thousand hours of flight time each in both atmospheric and void craft, and a reputation for being ice-cool under pressure, group captain Noyer was a natural choice to command the mission.

When inquisitor Sidonis and his staff heard about this, they immediately took notice. Suspecting some kind of Necron resurgence, Sidonis dispatched interrogator Schafer to take command of his personnel already on Venatora. He wants the explorator team thoroughly debriefed by his own organisation before any report is made to the planetary authorities.

As always, this is a guideline rather than something to be rigidly adhered to.

Name: Self explanatory.
Position / rank: What their job is in the inquisitor lord's staff.
Appearance: Pictures and/or descriptions are acceptable. I encourage you to also describe the character in one of your early IC posts, as this will help establish the character in the other players' minds.
Personality: A few points is fine. This is more something to refer back to to help you stay in character rather than a substitute for showing what they're like IC.
Weapons: If carried.
Other: Equipment, armour, psyker powers etc.
Background: Less is more, and feel free to mention bits of it in the IC as well as here. If you don't think there's any point in mentioning a specific bit of your character's history in the IC, then it probably isn't vital to their personality or the story. Also, revealing a character's history over time in the IC is fun, and in my experience has a greater chance of the other players remembering the important details.

TEAM

Field agent Marcus Black (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39992&page=3&p=1303997&viewfull=1#post1303997)
Field agent Kally Sonder (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39992&page=2&p=1301145#post1301145) (Dakkagor)
Field agent Vincent Nyl (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39992&page=3&p=1304503&viewfull=1#post1304503) (Felwether)
Sanctioned psyker John Shere (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39992&page=3&p=1303940&viewfull=1#post1303940) (Dough Guy)
Sanctioned psyker Lia (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39992&page=15&p=1348172&viewfull=1#post1348172)(Kardar233)
Stormtrooper Julianus Remus (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39992&p=1300088&viewfull=1#post1300088), TFC (Jarms48)
Sister Sapphira (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39992&page=6&p=1322587&viewfull=1#post1322587)(PaintSerf)
Ad mech liaison Vizkop (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39992&page=2&p=1300746&viewfull=1#post1300746)(Atrum Daemon)
PDF liaison Mattius Attelus (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39992&page=11&p=1337652#post1337652) (Simulacrum)
Xenologist Fredriq L'Hoace (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39992&page=7&p=1327161&viewfull=1#post1327161) (Childsouldier)
Verispex agent Kelly Black (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39992&page=3&p=1303997&viewfull=1#post1303997)

Cfavano
02-07-2013, 09:17 PM
By the Emperor...ANOTHER one?

Azazeal849
02-07-2013, 09:25 PM
Yes, another one. B) In no way competing though - this will be a very different concept and style to A New Chapter.

Cfavano
02-07-2013, 09:33 PM
there's a third one in the parody/fanfic section too, I think.

Jarms48
02-07-2013, 09:56 PM
By the Emperor...ANOTHER one?

This just isn't any other one, this is an Azazeal one! Will read through the premise and will draft a character when I have some free time at work.

Cfavano
02-07-2013, 09:57 PM
now that everyone's doing it it's not cool anymore XD

PaintSerf
02-07-2013, 10:28 PM
now that everyone's doing it it's not cool anymore XD

Azazeal’s been working on this one for a while. In my experience with his RPs the effort and time has been very well spent.

Also, Hurrah! Back to GrimDark we go!

Moe
02-07-2013, 10:39 PM
Excellent! There is no rivalry on these boards we are here to have fun and enjoy the vast warhammer and warhammer 40k universe. I plan on joining if you will take me.

Also if you have an idea for some art work I would be happy to do some for you, I did my signature for my thread, only took me a day or so.

Azazeal849
02-07-2013, 11:53 PM
This just isn't any other one, this is an Azazeal one! Will read through the premise and will draft a character when I have some free time at work.

Haha, thanks for the vote of confidence Jarms. Glad to have you on board once again.

Azazeal’s been working on this one for a while. In my experience with his RPs the effort and time has been very well spent.

You're giving me too much credit PaintSerf; it's always my fellow writers that are the lifeblood of my RPs. :>

This one won't base the story around ethical issues like The Lesser Evil or Business Is War did - it'll essentially be a straight thriller like Eclipsis. That said, since it's part of a series, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a bit of character study.

Excellent! There is no rivalry on these boards we are here to have fun and enjoy the vast warhammer and warhammer 40k universe. I plan on joining if you will take me.

Also if you have an idea for some art work I would be happy to do some for you, I did my signature for my thread, only took me a day or so.

I'd be happy to have you, Moe, and thanks for the offer - I did have a cover picture in mind already (see my sig) but if you want to knock together something with some grim-looking inquisition agents and/or some sinister characters with green lightning in their eyes I'd definitely take a look at it.

Jarms48
02-08-2013, 12:15 AM
[*Ordos Xenos; Imperial Inquisition;*]
[*Personnel Request;*]
[*Storm Trooper;*]
[*Remus, Julianus*]

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/5024/stormtroopersquad2.jpg

Name: Julianus Remus
Position: Inquisitorial Storm Trooper

Active* Siblings:
- Inquisitor Chrysanta Remus, deployed on Inquisitorial runs across outlying Imperial Sectors.
- Sororitas Hospitalar Roxanna Remus, deployed on Gravio II. Tending to victims of recent viral outbreak, under the banner of the Sisters of the Sacred Watch.
- Commissar Aeton Remus, allocated to 156th Corilithian Infantry Regiment.
- Colonel Balios Remus, commanding officer of 627th Corilithian Armoured Regiment.

* Note these reports detail latest generation of family Remus, for retired personnel or extended family of similar generation please search out a Scribe of the Ordos:
- (Deceased) Kephas Remus, former commander of 156th Corilithian Infantry Regiment.
- (Infant) Solon Remus, currently undergoing Schola Progenium conditioning.

Personality:
- Gruff
- Stern
- Loyal
- Questioning

Weapons:
- Hotshot lasrifle
- Hotshot pistol
- Combat knife
- 2 Fragment grenades
- 2 Bright grenades
- 1 Melta bomb

Equipment:
- Carapace armour: Typical armour kit, forged from plates of armaplas fashioned into a complete suit. Forge world stamp of the Seventh planted on the middle of back neck ring, Inquisitorial -I- displayed on right shoulder guard and upper left chest;

- Matching helmet: Armaplas ballistic helmet, with attached targeter and secondary helmet lamp powered by an independent battery or miniature motor. An Imperial eagle is stamped upon the front, along with a manufactorum stamp of the Seventh imprinted underneath at the top of the dome.

- Rebreather mask: Polymer visor is capable of several visual modes including, night vision and thermal. Visor is capable of tinting in the event of blinding lights , it is powered by an independent battery or motor mounted at the back of the helmet;

- Auspex: Electronically accessed in Remus' visor optics, this simple device displays a forward 90 degree cone which detects movement up to varying increments. These being 10, 20 or as far as 40 metres;

- Microbead: A small ear mounted communication device for short range communication between Inquisitorial team members or if required external sources - those being elements of local PDF, stationed Guard Regiments or militia forces. Upon the ear pieces mounting plate is the Manufactorum stamp of the Seventh.

- Tan fatigues: Typical operating uniform for the Inquisitorial militant, though camouflage patterns and standard kit are changed during assignment and operating theaters. Remus routinely swaps between standard uniform worn on base to that of white fatigues during assignment on planet Venatora

Background:
Julianus of the family Remus. A family of some renown its sons and daughters having a long standing tradition of attending the Schola Progenium becoming members of the Inquisition, the Commissariat, Adepta Sororitas or the Imperial Guard. For Julianus however he was destined to a life of duty to protect and provide security in the halls of the fortresses of the Inquisition. He has been allocated to several Inquisitors for numerous assignments, tasks which have led him to believe the result of all things falls to the cursed gods and leaving him suspect of rooting out cult activity wherever it be found.

He was born the sixth child of his generation, his older siblings often left him envious by their own successes or current positions of notably higher standard. His sisters, a Soroitas Hospitalar and a Ordo Xeno Inquisitor, the latter personally requesting his services to merely rub it in. Something that left him wondering if she ever truly grew up or how she even became an Inquisitor in the first place. His brothers two officers of the Guard and a Commissar; the oldest son a man who Julianus no longer considered his brother, having led to the death of another one of his older male siblings.

His home world, routinely called the First that being it is the capital of the Sector and coincidentally the first to be colonized by man. A high tech system at the back end of the universe, now at war with the Tau Empire as those young xenos continually attempt to expand their sphere. Julianus would have rather signed himself up to the Guard, fighting and dieing for his home, not here, not for family tradition on some far flung backwater he hadn't even heard of.

Report Ends

Froggy
02-08-2013, 02:21 AM
Hey guys, this looks like a great game. Why not sign it up for Roleplay of the Week (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=905) or advertise it in the Roleplay Directory (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2304) to gain more players?

Merry
02-08-2013, 02:36 AM
http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr348/annebonny10/rpa/withfilter2-1.jpg

Cfavano
02-08-2013, 02:37 AM
congratulations

Atrum Daemon
02-08-2013, 06:43 AM
Name: Vizkop
Position/Rank: Mechanicus Liaison

http://images.gamestar.de/images/idgwpgsgp/bdb/2198914/1280x1024.jpg

Personality: Amiable, clear-headed, cool under pressure. Just a few things to describe Vizkop.

Weapons: He carries two primary weapons. One is a custom designed stub pistol with an integrated silencer and the other is a large bore stub revolver meant to take down armored targets. He also has a pair of hidden blades integrated into his arms that include power fields.
Other: Under his robes, he wears an armored body glove for protection.
In addition to standard Mechanicus implants, both Vizkop's arms are bionic as are his legs, ribs, and spine. His hearing and sight have also been enhanced through cybernetics.

Background: A last minute addition to the team to act as liaison between the Inquisition and the Explorator team.

Hope this is to your liking and I'm not being overly secretive.

Azazeal849
02-08-2013, 08:03 AM
@ Jarms - Remus ae? No relation of the rogue trader von Remus from Damnatus by any chance?

Julianus will be a member of Sidonis' stormtrooper contingent, Task Force Carbon, with his immediate superiors being lieutenant Yvonne Kepler and major Kadath Al-Omar. As TFC doesn't often work directly with field agents, he will have only met the other characters for the first time when they were dispatched to Venatora a couple of weeks ago.

@ Atrum - Probably accepted, pending a couple of PM questions. EDIT - Accepted.

Jarms48
02-08-2013, 08:21 AM
@ Jarms - Remus ae? No relation of the rogue trader von Remus from Damnatus by any chance?

You know that went right over my head, I just liked the sound of the name. I suppose you could say Julianuses(?) back story could hint at a possibility, but alas he was born on the First.

dakkagor
02-08-2013, 09:01 PM
Name: Kally Sonder

Personality: Kally is emotionally battered. For the past six months she has, as one of the sole survivors of the Pembroke cases ground zero, been kept in solitary confinement and been subjected to low to mid grade interrogation under Lord Sidonis direct orders. The fallout of the Pembroke incident casts a long shadow over the soul of Kally, who is still bitter, morose and withdrawn, given to caustic remarks and deliberately antagonizing her team mates.

Appearance: Kally is still an athletic 5ft 6 inches with a hivers palour, with dark brown eyes. Her old dyed hair is almost gone, with only the tips a vibrant purple while the rest of her hair is a pale sandy colour, and she wears it long in a pony tail. She has a scar running round her left eye too her cheek from a glancing sword blow, and a few more on her body that aren't readily visible. The deepest scars are undoubtedly in her mind, however.

Powers: Kally as a psychic blank is immune to all psychic powers aimed directly at her. For example, a psyker could not telekinetically crush her, but he could telekinetically throw a crate at her. With access to Inquisitorial training techniques and a device known as a amplification harness, she can focus her ability into a will draining effect that can paralyse psykers in fear and send normal men running scared. The harness also replaces her collar, allowing her to use it to reflexively dampen her powers in pleasant company. Since her experiences in Hive Makita (and possibly because of her experiences in Hive Makita) her psychic blank abilities have strengthened considerably. While not as dangerous as a Culexus Assassin with an animus speculum, she is still regarded by most psykers in Sidonis employ as less a soulless abomination, more a walking anti psyker apocalypse.

Equipment:
Note: all of Kallys previous load out was destroyed in the Makita incident. Anything not lost was deemed ‘contaminated’ and following inquisitorial protocol 117/Delta, was confiscated for investigation and destruction.

+ Scourge Pattern Boltgun: a heavily modified Boltgun with a 3 clip fire selector, scope, and integral retractable bayonet. Its generally loaded with stalker sniper rounds (low velocity penetrators designed for quiet firing) hellfire rounds and psycannon rounds. A heavy, nasty, maintenance intensive brute of a weapon, the only reason Kally carries it is its raw stopping power, excellent accuracy over long distances and formidable profile: few people want to mess with someone carrying one of these.

+ Reinforced Military body glove. Kallys old dependable flak has been ditched in favour of a composite mil-spec suit generally issued to Storm troopers and similar specialists travelling light. The rubberised mesh weave is good for keeping out light arms and impacts, and is reinforced with light carapace plates over the chest, abdomen, shins, thighs, and upper and lower arms. A folded hood can be deployed for additional protection, but Kally generally doesn’t bother. The main benefit with this suit is that with the plates stripped out, the suit becomes light enough to be worn under appropriate civilian clothes. Generally, Kally stomps around with this suit and an overcoat.

+ Redeemer pattern Chain sword: this short, wide bladed weapon is very handy in tight spaces and well earned its unofficial moniker of 'ripper'.

+Two paired ‘steel burner’ laspistols, two cadian short combat knives.

+Underhive survival kit
Consisting of flugs, photovisor contacts, grapnel and carbon-line, grip gloves, glow sticks, rad patch and a few doses of stimms, detox, Kalma and common antivenoms.

Background
++SEALED UNDER INQUISITORIAL REMIT++
What everyone knows about Kally Sonder is the following: The woman is cursed, either to good luck or bad, and this is her first mission under Immanual Sidonis. Rumours fly that she was saved from the ruins of Makita Hive, and that she nearly killed several interrogators upon being revived for questioning. From that point on, rumors say, her hostility and blank nature made her the most difficult of witnesses following the Pembroke incident and one of the last people to be judged in relation to it. Rumor also has it that someone vouched for her, perhaps several people, and this mission represents a chance for her to redeem herself in the eyes of the Inquisition.

Kally Sonder after a typical brawl (http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/247/3/0/bounty_hunter_ain__t_done_yet_by_jayaxer-d48w85h.jpg)

and back in her underhive days (http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/8357/06iaszl5.jpg)

Azazeal849
02-09-2013, 12:13 AM
Accepted, Dakkagor!

Rumor also has it that someone vouched for her, perhaps several people.

Interesting you should mention that; I was thinking that Marc might have argued her case in return for sticking her neck out for him at Holland's (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?251903-Lucius-pembroke-is-a-dead-man&p=4744960&viewfull=1#post4744960), and not told her because of his less-than-stellar record for explaining himself...

Atrum Daemon
02-09-2013, 03:27 AM
I just realized I should probably add in Vizkop's bionic enhancements to his actual profile.

DoughGuy
02-09-2013, 06:05 AM
Aw was hoping I could go chaos in this one XD
Anyway I'll have a CS up soon hopefully.

Felwether
02-09-2013, 07:09 PM
Awesome! I'll get Vincent's CS up tomorrow.

Azazeal849
02-09-2013, 09:27 PM
Dough Guy and Felwether, I look forward to seeing your creations! And yes, Dough Guy, I'm afraid no Chaos in this one - although if all goes well then a sequel (either GM'd by myself or some other member of the Warseer crowd) might incorporate some.

I hope PaintSerf will be joining us. :>

PaintSerf
02-10-2013, 05:37 AM
I hope PaintSerf will be joining us. :>

Of course I’m in, but there might be a delay on the character sheet for a few days because of the storm. Thirty inches of snow (+/-) without a blower is no fun at all, especially so when there’s freezing rain in the cards tomorrow.

Azazeal849
02-10-2013, 10:39 AM
We were supposed to get snow here in the UK this weekend but it never materialised. Must have been diverted to your bit.

No problem - I haven't written out the intro post yet so take as long as you need.

DoughGuy
02-10-2013, 12:31 PM
Eldas and Kally are NOT going to get along lol.

DoughGuy
02-10-2013, 12:49 PM
Name: John Shere
Position / rank: Psychic Support/Offence

Appearance: A young man of athletic build he has a muscular body and full face. He prefers to use his powers sparingly and focuses on his body which has allowed him to keep fit and healthy for so long. He has blue eyes and black hair though he dyes it gold blonde when he can. He stands at around 5’9” and weighs approximately 160 pounds.

Personality: A young psyker dedicated to the Imperial Cause. Unlike many psykers in service to the Imperium John very much enjoys his work and has an upbeat and enthusiastic personality. He has confidence in the Imperium and that it will prevail over the evils which assail it. However this side of him only applies to his interactions with servants of the imperium. When dealing with agents who oppose his sacred cause he becomes a silent figure who does not show mercy. He does have a moral line which he refuses to cross whoever the foe as well, a line which he draw between the Puritan and the Radical.

Weapons: A plasma pistol and a force staff.

Other: He wears a simple armoured bodyglove which is golden in colour. An imperial eagle has been carved in the front. He is a high gamma psyker specialising in pyrokinetics with a small skillset in logokinetics.

Background: Originally born in the hive slums of Radica Prime John was picked up by the black ships at the age of 8. Before they took him away he as a loner in the slums, barely surviving on the scraps of food he could steal from others and earn through small work for the gangs. While his psychic power made itself known occasionally it did not fully blossom and did not help him survive.

After being picked up by the black ships John found himself among his kind, the shunned and rejected, and found happiness. Years of loneliness were replaced by a sense of, albeit forced, belonging. His natural optimism came to the surface and he was one of the few who kept a happy face throughout the black ship’s journey.

Once he had been analysed by the Inquisition John was placed into training as a field agent due to the offensive nature of his power. As his pyrokinetics helped him pass the trails the Academy threw at him his logokinetics allowed him to survive the students with his optimism intact. At the age of 20 he was released into active service under Immanuel Sidonis though he only served under one of his interrogators. He has served in 2 missions under the current interrogator Javid Schafer and enjoys his work.

Redone

Azazeal849
02-10-2013, 02:38 PM
My my, not one but two people who may or may not be related to local segmentum celebrities! Expect Marc to comment. Marc, by the way, is one of the other agents on-site who will be backing you up:

http://static.tvguide.com/MediaBin/Content/090209/News/Todays_News_Our_Take/4_thurs/090212tahmoh-penikett1.jpg
Profile: A former hive enforcer detective, Marc has actually served the inquisition in an undercover capacity for the last 2 years. Like Kally and Vincent, Marc is a survivor of the Pembroke Incident which destroyed Solomon's Makita hive. In the wake of this mysterious case he was transferred to inquisitor lord Sidonis and now serves openly as a field investigator, although this is his first official mission as such.

You will also be getting support from his sister, who works in forensics:

http://i0.wp.com/www.tv-eh.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/rookieblue2.jpg?resize=450%2C744
Profile: Inadvertently caught up in the events at Makita hive, Kelly Black was also brought in for questioning and, ultimately, offered new employment under Sidonis. A qualified verispex, she has been planted among the post-mortem unit at the starport, as the xenotech dealer Sidonis is trying to apprehend is thought to be smuggling his forbidden artefacts inside John Does.

Felwether
02-10-2013, 09:50 PM
Name: Vincent Nyl (That's Nil if anyone's interested.)

Personality: Vincent is known to have something of a split personality, at times he can be cheerful (even if he is getting cranky in his old age), talkative and even a bit cheeky, enjoying the company of his comrades and telling the odd tall tale. At other times, however, he is belligerent, aggressive and prone to sinking into periods of depression as well as fits of extreme violence.

Appearance: http://www.relativityonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/Mickey-Rourke_0.jpg

Physical Description: 5'10”, stocky and very powerful in the upper body. Nyl's torso is covered in various tattoos from his days in the guard. His face, again mostly thanks to guard service (but including injuries from more than a few barfights) is a patchwork of scar tissue and old burns that many people find unsettling to look at. Though he looks every year of his age juvenat treatments he underwent during more profitable times have kept his body in fairly good physical condition. The left side of Vincent's chest, along with his arm were torn up in the riots on Solomon and have since been replaced with high quality but brutal looking augmetics finished in matte-black - a development that he was less than impressed by as that arm bore both the symbol of his former regiment as well as his kill-markings.

Equipment:

Vincent flatly refused to surrender his equipment after the Makita incident and it was perhaps his willingness to cooperate under interrogation that convinced his new employers to allow him to keep almost everything that survived the destruction of the Hive.

Acheron IVb pattern Hellgun. A lightweight hellgun model, the Acheron IVb marries accuracy, power and a potentially blistering rate of fire into a deadly weapon capable of piercing most armour types and dropping the hardiest of opponents at close to medium range. The weapons hotshot power cells are housed internally meaning that while the operator has to reload more often, they are not forced to wear a bulky backpack to provide power.

20 Gauge Sawn-off Shotgun "Lupara" : This short-barrelled, break action, over and under shotgun can commonly be found on Vincent's right hip, opposite his laspistol.

Mars pattern laspistol: A standard issue IG sidearm, the very same weapon Vincent used when he deserted nearly thirty years ago.

Full carapace armour: This suit of high grade armour, a recent enough acquisition, is very similar to the carapace armour used by Imperial Stormtroopers. Consisting of armoured plates over a pressure suit it provides ample protection against small arms fire - even if it is a bit bulky. The suit incorporates a webber into the left vambrace to help apprehend marks who can't simply be shot in the back. It is finished in simple grey primer and Vincent generally only wears it when he's expecting a heavy firefight.

Bionics: The left side of Vincent's torso have been replaced by highly functional augmetics. His arm, while crude and brutal in appearance, is made from high quality materials. The hand can be swapped out for a wicked-looking combat attachment consisting of three short, powered claws should the need arise.

Guardsman's bayonet.

Frag, Krak, Flash and Tanglefoot grenades.

Combat blade: This forearm length, blackened steel 'Night Reaper' blade hails from Catachan and is Vincent's most prized possession.

Motion tracking auspex.

Civilian clothing: Vincent generally wears some kind of fatigues and a t-shirt or vest along with a pair of sturdy steel-toed boots. He will often be seen wearing a trench coat - ideal for concealing a shoulder holster and flak vest.

History:

Vincent's history is as long as it is bloody and the details are largely unimportant. Suffice to say that he has known little other than violence since he was a small child. Vincent Nyl has borne witness to more than his share of horrors – from the hell of large-scale warfare to the sinister depths of the criminal underworld. He has seen the worst the galaxy has to offer and it has left an indelible mark upon him as a person.

Vincent was among the first to be recovered by Sidonis' people. Outwardly he appeared more than happy to regale his interrogators with tales from Makita, animatedly retelling his version of events time and time again, as if recounting them to a stranger in a bar and seemingly revelling in the attention. He has since been cleared for duty, and seems to be glad of it. In truth he is currently finding it difficult to adjust to life in the employ of The Inquisition and the months of confinement he endured following the Makita Hive incident have left him with no small amount of resentment towards Lord Sidonis and his organisation as a whole, so much so that he intends on cutting himself loose once his wounds have fully healed and disappearing once again into wilderness space.

Azazeal849
02-10-2013, 10:07 PM
Accepted!

Hey guys, ask him about what happened to him on his first trip through the warp, that was a fun story...

Felwether
02-10-2013, 10:19 PM
For some strange reason he can't seem to remember it, it's like he wasn't really there... ;)

Simulacrum
02-10-2013, 10:26 PM
Oh, I hadn't realized that you had made the thread yet Az. Well, I'll start working on a CS. I'll probably have to do some research first, since I don't really know anything about Warhammer. I know I've read about it though, it started as a tabletop wargame or something I think. So yeah, I'll see if I can find any sort of background information on it so that my character can fit in.

Jarms48
02-10-2013, 10:30 PM
OH! I frakken thought that was, from the Guard to dirty merc work for shame Vinny, for shame.

Felwether
02-10-2013, 10:39 PM
OH! I frakken thought that was, from the Guard to dirty merc work for shame Vinny, for shame.

Hur, I can tell Julianus and Vincent will get on well...

Make sure to ask him how he actually managed to get out of the Guard.

Jarms48
02-10-2013, 10:43 PM
Nah, that's not how the glory boy rolls he tells you his stories (however depressing they may be) not the other way round. :D

Plus could be no worse then Klems and Gerald. I doubt Julian will go insane or be as immature.

PaintSerf
02-11-2013, 06:30 AM
You will also be getting support from his sister, who works in forensics:

http://i0.wp.com/www.tv-eh.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/rookieblue2.jpg?resize=450%2C744

I do believe IST O’Rourke’s previous (future) comment still stands, sir.

I'll probably have to do some research first, since I don't really know anything about Warhammer.

This site might be of some help, Sim: Lexicanum (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page)

If you’ve got any questions there’s a few of us around who’d be more than willing to give you a hand.

Plus could be no worse then Klems and Gerald.

That sounds like a challenge to me! :)

Jarms48
02-11-2013, 06:40 AM
That sounds like a challenge to me! :)

Oh, don't worry I'm sure we could pass that bar pretty easily. :D

Simulacrum
02-11-2013, 10:05 PM
I do believe IST O’Rourke’s previous (future) comment still stands, sir.

This site might be of some help, Sim: Lexicanum (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page)

If you’ve got any questions there’s a few of us around who’d be more than willing to give you a hand.

That sounds like a challenge to me! :) Thanks, I actually found that site last night xD. Az just helped me out with my character. I have a general idea of who he is, I mainly just have the bio now.

Also, there's so much to know about Warhammer O_o

DoughGuy
02-11-2013, 10:08 PM
Btw Sim there is also the official wiki (http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_40k_Wiki) which I prefer over Lexicanum.

And yeah 40K is a big thing lol.

Jarms48
02-11-2013, 10:57 PM
Btw Sim there is also the official wiki (http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_40k_Wiki) which I prefer over Lexicanum.

Lexicanum tends to be more accurate.

Azazeal849
02-12-2013, 07:12 PM
True, but in any case it's a lot to sift through, so if anybody has any questions over the course of the story just ask; me and the other 40K buffs should be able to clue you in.

Make sure to ask him how he actually managed to get out of the Guard.

Something about murdering his superior officer, wasn't it?

Azazeal849
02-13-2013, 11:31 PM
Just to keep you all in the loop, we are waiting on characters from PaintSerf, Moe and Simulacrum, and then we are good to go.

Moe
02-14-2013, 12:03 AM
Sorry for holding you up, my character research is going rather slowly.

Azazeal849
02-14-2013, 12:25 AM
If there's any more questions I can answer just let me know.

dakkagor
02-14-2013, 12:05 PM
have updated Kally's profile with a picture I'm actually happy with. . . .

Azazeal849
02-16-2013, 07:27 AM
She's not Starbuck any more? Now who's Helo!Marc going to hang around with?

Atrum Daemon
02-16-2013, 07:57 AM
Every time I see the title of this thread all I can think of are the simulacrum's from Marathon that exploded when you touched them.

Anyone else get that feeling?

Azazeal849
02-16-2013, 10:51 AM
Well, we do have a Simulacrum, but hopefully he/she won't explode.

Felwether
02-16-2013, 10:27 PM
have updated Kally's profile with a picture I'm actually happy with. . . .

Spot on!

dakkagor
02-16-2013, 11:11 PM
Thanks Felwether, took me a while but the kind I'm growing fonder and fonder of that one. Its the relaxed nature combined with the injuries that actually appeal, as Kally rarely seems to come through any adventure unscathed.

DoughGuy
02-17-2013, 11:18 AM
Hey I knew i wasn't happy with Eldas so I've redone his personality a bit, given him a background and changed his name. Hope all the changes check out.

Simulacrum
02-17-2013, 11:09 PM
Well, we do have a Simulacrum, but hopefully he/she won't explode. As long as you don't touch me I should be fine.

Anyway, I've made a little bit of progress on my CS. I'm hoping I'll get enough time to finish it early this week.

Azazeal849
02-18-2013, 01:49 PM
Not a problem, Sim.

DG - The changes seem okay to me. A "moral line" between Puritan and Radical should lead to endless fun, since the definition of those two things can vary massively throughout the inquisition...

dakkagor
02-18-2013, 11:20 PM
So psyched for this game currently, so many ideas burbling through my head. Come on people, get those characters up.

Jarms48
02-18-2013, 11:24 PM
I know right!

PaintSerf
02-19-2013, 10:31 AM
Name: Sapphira
Position / rank: Sister Hospitaller

Appearance: Sapphira stands just over five a half feet with an athletically petite build. She is fine featured with pale skin that starkly contrasts her black hair that’s cropped in a short bob. Just below her catlike gray eyes, on her left cheek, is a small and delicately done fleur-de-lys tattoo that affirms her allegiance as a Daughter of the Emperor.

Sister Sapphira (http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1857455104/tt1104001)

Carapace (http://images.wikia.com/warhammer40k/images/0/08/Hospitaler_Sister.jpg)

Personality: Sapphira genuinely cares about the complete well-being of her patients and colleagues. If someone is in need of physical, psychological, or spiritual counsel she does not hesitate to offer her assistance if necessary or requested. Years spent working alongside other branches of Imperial service as a healer has made her more tolerant than a more orthodox Sororita would be, albeit up to certain limits that no Sister could abide. Despite her general amiability Sapphira is still a dutiful and devoted professional who can and will set aside any personal reservations, which Inquisitorial business can raise, to do what needs to be done if necessary.

Equipment:

Attire: Sapphira is typically seen in the modest dove gray robes of her order, almost exclusively without the habit unless in formal situations, which are worn over a dark body glove lightly reinforced to resist bludgeoning or stabbing attacks. She keeps her chaplet ecclesiasticus on person, unless she absolutely has to leave it off for a mission, and prefers to wear it around the neck. When the need to be armed arises Sapphira wears a functional black leather utility belt that holsters her weapon and ammunition.

With the current wintry conditions Sapphira has taken to wearing a long woolen jacket that’s further reinforced with fleece and augmented with heating coils. Similarly insulated are her grox-skin gloves and boots. The last items of weather protection are a scarf and bronze framed weather goggles. These items are civilian in origin and obtained via the recommendation and insistence of McKenzie von Rousch.

Stub Revolver: Bang.

Data-slate: Primarily used for physical evaluations with the diagnostic scanner wand. Sapphira keeps her notations on the slate, and acquired evidence, so it has been further augmented with a standard Inquisitorial encryption.

Narthecium: Larger than the typical medi-kits that are used by Imperial Guard medics in the field. The contents are of higher quality and quantity.

Servo Skull: This construct is formed from the amalgamation of Adeptus Mechanicus technology and the revered skull of a minor Imperial saint. It has been optimized for medical assistance and diagnostics, especially when synced to the data-slate. The bold gothic numerals XCIV have been engraved into the brow of the skull underneath an Aquila.

Carapace: The distinctive Hospitaller carapace armor worn by Sapphira in combat under ideal circumstances. It incorporates an additional suite of surgical equipment beyond the Narthecium to help deal with the worst of field trauma.

Background: Sapphira was born into a family of Imperial servants on Utopia, an equally valuable and deplorable mining planet. Not even half a decade after her birth there was a global labor rights and welfare strike that exploded into a full blow anti-Imperial uprising. Despite horrendous initial losses, loyalist elements were able to hold until an intervention force arrived. The secessionist revolt was comprehensively quashed by an Astartes spearheaded taskforce. While a comparatively short affair it was notably bloody for the native population. With both her parents killed in the conflict, and any other family either dead or discredited, there was only one option left. Like so many other young girls and boys throughout the millennia, Sapphira was turned over to the nearest Schola Progenium for education and indoctrination.

The post-graduation track chosen for Sapphira was to enter the Sisterhood as an aspirant Hospitaller. Shortly thereafter she was sent to the Convent Sanctorum on Ophelia VII and inducted into the Order of Serenity. Once her formal education and training was completed, Sapphira was honored by her order to remain on Ophelia VII and work directly for the Ecclesiarchy alongside other Imperial organizations. With an understandable amount of frequency she ended up working alongside Inquisitorial representatives. One of those operatives, a senior interrogator for Lord Immanuel Sidonis, extended an offer of employment approximately three and a half years ago. Since then Sister Sapphira has been one of the many skilled medical professionals aboard the True Bane.

---

I should have the rest of the sheet worked out by tonight, but right now I’m hearing the siren call of sleep.

In the meantime, please state the nature of your medical emergency.

dakkagor
02-19-2013, 12:54 PM
looking good Paintserf. Should be an interesting character to bounce off.

And more art has been trawled from the Mechanicus Noosphere for Kally. Google image search and deviant art for the win. . .

Jarms48
02-20-2013, 01:45 AM
An Adepta Sororitas and a Hospitaller no less, interesting. I wonder if Julianius will see her in the same light as one of his sisters in that very position.

Azazeal849
02-20-2013, 09:57 AM
We shall no doubt see.

I'll give Sim and Moe until the weekend and then think about starting the IC. As luck would have it both their characters are PDF, and therefore could plausibly be absent from the initial scene and turn up slightly later.

Simulacrum
02-20-2013, 06:29 PM
I have a couple of questions.

Is there a particular system used for names?

What is life like (for both children and adults) on Venatora?

Are PDF recruits volunteers, or are they drafted (or both)?

Azazeal849
02-20-2013, 08:22 PM
Is there a particular system used for names?

Names in the 40K universe tend to fall into one of three camps. "Classical" names from Latin/Greek/Hebrew to give them a more archaic or gothic feel; slightly butchered or misspelled versions of modern names (to show how language has evolved over time); and unusual names of the kind often found in Utah.

What is life like (for both children and adults) on Venatora?

Being away from any major frontlines, Venatora isn't a bad place to live by Imperial standards. It hasn't yet reached the population and congestion to require hive cities, although to meet tithe requirements working hours are comparatively long, retirement ages are high, and social support is pretty lousy. For security purposes citizens in the major cities are tracked by a network of retina-scanners, and there are certain areas (such as the governor's palace, arbites fortresses, and starports) where citizens without proper clearance are forbidden to go. Civilian ownership of firearms is technically illegal, although the black market inevitably subverts this in places. The streets are however relatively safe to walk, due to a strong armed police presence. The justice system is harsh by modern standards. Freedom of information from the government to the public is minimal, but citizens are brought up to think that the Imperium has their best interests at heart.

Children are taught in faith-based schools run by the ecclesiarchy, which (as on most Imperial worlds) enjoys a religious monopoly, although methods and practices of worshiping the God Emperor vary across different regions of the planet. Children who show promise after basic schooling are put forward for further education with the administratum or the adeptus mechanicus.

Are PDF recruits volunteers, or are they drafted (or both)?

Venatora hasn't suffered xenos invasion since the Necron War 3000 years ago, and volunteer soldiers are currently sufficient to quell planetary dissent and keep the annual Imperial Guard tithe.

childsouldier
02-21-2013, 03:18 AM
Hi Azazael, have read through the intro and char. sheets and was wondering if it's still ok to join in? As I understand it the IC hasn't started yet?

Have RPed before but not really since the days of Warhammer Online (the old one that looked good, not the new one that doesn't!) but I'm pretty well versed in the 40k universe and have been steered here by my mate Felwether. You're not the only ones who've had to put up with Vincent's war stories!

I've done up a character sheet that I hope is up to scratch. If you need any changes let me know (or if he needs to be combat-ready, I figured an inquisitor doesn't just have heavies along but maybe you have plans for some non-combatants that I'm mucking with). Hopefully I can quickly shed the RP rust if he's approved.

Name: Fredriq L'Hoace (that's low-ss)

Age: 53 Drellerian, 97 Terran Standard (intermittent juvenat treatments have somewhat delayed the ageing process)

Position / Rank: Xeno-archaeologist, seconded from Ixaniad Sector Inquisitorial Command to the service of Lord Inquisitor Immanual Sidonis

Appearance:
Fredriq stands a mere 5' 1" tall and is rather on the thin side of things, although he is developing quite the pair of jowls in his early old age. His hair is greying though still thick and, in general, very unruly. He looks an awful lot like this:
http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/noam-chomsky.jpg

Personality: Erudite and scholarly, Fredriq likes to think himself a man of the galaxy; he is fond of quoting literature and enjoys the arts, both aural and visual. He doesn't suffer fools gladly and can seem brusque and unfriendly upon first meeting. Often lost in speculation and flights of hypothetical/academic fancy, Fredriq can seem two star systems away from reality when matters which fail to arouse his interest are being discussed. These generally include the rather mundane and intolerable distractions of combat, the securing of necessary provisions and other "tedious facts of life."

He is possessed of an insatiable curiosity for the strange and the wonderful, a dangerous thing in the Imperium; luck alone saw him enter the employ of the Inquisition rather than suffer at the hands of it. He provides a rapt audience to any tales of the exotic, although he does tend to pester with a slew of pedantic questions upon their completion!

Weapons: It has been impressed upon him that in this situation, a first for Fredriq, the archaeological site is to be treated as potentially active. Therefore he has been supplied with an Anargo pattern "Punisher XIX" Laspistol, finished in matte black and emblazoned with a cast iron Aquila along the main casing on the right hand side. It features an in-built laser targeter (which can be de/activated via a button beneath its housing) and boasts a higher megathule discharge than laspistols of a similar charge capacity, but significantly lower than that of a standard lasrifle. It is with great distaste that he carries it upon his person.
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/311/2/a/imperial_laspistol_by_templateconstruct-d32cztx.png

Clothing: Fredriq is attired in gentlemanly clothes befitting his station as a man of books and learning. He wears corduroy trousers of a dark tan colour, equally comfortable while in the library or on the site of an Inquisition excavation, along with a style of shirt fashionable throughout many parts of the Imperium but made significantly less so by his wearing of it. Indoors he sports a waistcoat of the same material and colour as his trousers, and of a cut popular with the aristocrats of Dreller Secundus, although he does not belong to their ranks. Out of doors in inclement weather Fredriq wears an overcoat of oiled Grox-hide, a good, sturdy brown-green leather that keeps the elements at bay. Unless, of course, the elements are noxious gases, fatal extremes of temperature, or other similarly unpleasant environmental conditions, in which case he can usually be persuaded into whatever manner of hazardous environment suit is at hand.

Other: Fredriq carries on him at all times a fully networked data slate and stylus, with a large capacity memory unit for on-the-spot notetaking and satellite uplink capabilities to access local information networks, with some Inquisitorial privileges as bestowed upon him by Ixaniad Sector Inquisitorial Command. Despite his reluctance Fredriq has had some minor ocular bionics implanted enabling him to record short periods of video or pict-caps. Although this procedure ensured perfect vision Fredriq persists with the wearing of a pair of thick-lensed spectacles, now fitted with clear glass.

Background: Fredriq has been in the employ of the Inquisition in the Ixaniad System for all of his adult life. The son of brave servants of the Emperor who died in His duty, he was raised in the Schola Progenium on Dreller Secundus alongside other children orphaned into the care of the Father of Mankind. Singled out for his remarkable intellect, he was earmarked early on for a role of high station. However his lack of skill (some tutors swore interest, and many were the blows he suffered for it) in combat doctrine, diplomatic affairs and other important skills saw him fail to join the proud army of the Emperor's glorious Imperial Guard, nor the shadowy ranks of the Inquisition proper.

Rather, he was first picked out by one Inquisitor Phillipus Oxindur of the Ordo Xenos (since perished in the RECORD EXPUNGED BY ORDER OF IXANIAD SECTOR INQUISITORIAL COMMAND ORDER 761/c:ytp3). Since his recruitment into the toiling legions of advisors serving the needs of the Emperor's Inquisition Fredriq's path becomes less clear. It is certain that he has worked at the behest of a number of inquisitors over the years, all of them members of the Ordo Xenos. The profile of the world's on which he is known to have conducted research is quite specific, which may mean a specialisation of sorts in a particular xenos species or family of interrelated genus. Further information is unforthcoming, and it is not in the habit of this author to provide speculation as if it were fact.

So that's that, a bit wordy now I look back at it, and maybe his history is too vague? To be perfectly honest I haven’t come up with it yet as he’s just come out of my head as I write. Wrecked tired now but will come back and edit it down a bit later, based on anything you want changed Azazael (or if anyone else has recommendations either, this is the first character sheet I've done in a fair few years and I've no idea if it's ok or not, c&c very welcome).

May the Emperor wake 'fore next we meet!

Azazeal849
02-21-2013, 10:42 AM
Welcome to the RPA boards! (Did you come over from Warseer?)

I like the character, and don't worry - even though he's primarily a non-combatant I'll try and make sure that there's plenty for him to do. He also looks like a great vehicle for getting character-developing stories out of the others. I think he'd be great paired with Vincent...

The vague background is fine - if it doesn't come up in the IC (where it can either be expanded upon or just provide some framing) then it's immaterial to the "reader" isn't it?

dakkagor
02-21-2013, 12:14 PM
Awesome character, Fredriq L'Hoace is the kind of xeno archeologist every party needs when dealing with Necrons! I agree with Azazeal, there could well be some very interesting interactions between him and the other characters.

childsouldier
02-21-2013, 12:54 PM
Thanks Azazael! I did, sort of, I only just joined Warseer at the start of this month. Does that count?!

Glad you like the character (and you too dakkagor!) and that his vague background is ok, it'll probably come out as the RP progresses / as I make it up, but anything too outlandish and I'll be sure to PM you first!

Fredriq's been known to get taken in by the odd tall tale, so I can see a bit of fun being had at his expense by the more established members of the team. Please feel free to regale him in whatever epic conquests you can imagine, just be prepared to have them fact-checked!

Azazeal849
02-21-2013, 01:20 PM
For tall tales, I'll refer Fredriq to Vincent and Remus (and possibly Shere). Marc isn't the type to wax lyrical about past achievements, and Kally doesn't seem to be talking to anyone at the moment. As for Vizkop and Sapphira...yeah.

dakkagor
02-21-2013, 03:25 PM
"That time I nearly got killed the a rogue Inquisitorial kill team, met a Necron God/Human Navigator hybrid, and then woke up in an Inquisitors dungeon and spent the next month being tortured half to death? You don't have enough money to spend at the bar to hear that one."

Jarms48
02-22-2013, 04:57 AM
For tall tales, I'll refer Fredriq to Vincent and Remus (and possibly Shere). Marc isn't the type to wax lyrical about past achievements, and Kally doesn't seem to be talking to anyone at the moment. As for Vizkop and Sapphira...yeah.

Oh yes! I have many stories prepared! You just have to bribe me with all your Crowns, those stories ain't free! :P

Who am I kidding, Julianus is the type to tell you all of his family problems if you want to hear them or not.

Atrum Daemon
02-22-2013, 05:03 AM
We all got good stories, I think.

Jarms48
02-22-2013, 05:28 AM
Yep, we'll be sitting around sharing stories until a minor xeno race who are not the Necrons come to get us. Oh I see your ploy and raise you a twist! Or if it is, can I ask which Necrons you'll be using Az? Old, New or a mix between?

I figured an inquisitor doesn't just have heavies along but maybe you have plans for some non-combatants that I'm mucking with

It's okay, he can swap his move action and standard action for two minors, so he can do all of the groups skill checks! Excellent,........ no one else get the D&D joke? *bows head*

Azazeal849
02-22-2013, 08:22 AM
Who am I kidding, Julianus is the type to tell you all of his family problems if you want to hear them or not.

I am rather looking to the conversation where Remus tells Sapphira that she reminds him of his sister... :P

Yep, we'll be sitting around sharing stories until a minor xeno race who are not the Necrons come to get us. Oh I see your ploy and raise you a twist! Or if it is, can I ask which Necrons you'll be using Az? Old, New or a mix between?

I suppose you could call it a mix.

It's okay, he can swap his move action and standard action for two minors, so he can do all of the groups skill checks! Excellent,........ no one else get the D&D joke? *bows head*

You could have at least made it a Dark Heresy joke. :P

IC will go up on Tuesday. I could post it today, but I wouldn't be able to make any additions or answer many questions until the afore-mentioned Tuesday.

Jarms48
02-22-2013, 08:52 AM
I am rather looking to the conversation where Remus tells Sapphira that she reminds him of his sister... :P

I do to but that's the sister he actually likes! Well, likes the most...... which isn't saying much. The other one, the Inquisitor, oh that's gonna be fun in a bun!

I suppose you could call it a mix.

Ah! So the kill everyone but we'll do it a Tomb King fashion? Gotcha. ;)

You could have at least made it a Dark Heresy joke. :P

Never actually played Dark Heresy, the prospect of playing as a Space Marine bores me. I've played a fair amount of Only War, Guard man, play Guard. :{

Azazeal849
02-22-2013, 09:29 AM
I do to but that's the sister he actually likes! Well, likes the most...... which isn't saying much. The other one, the Inquisitor, oh that's gonna be fun in a bun!

For that sort of resemblance he should go and speak to interrogator Machairi (a character who may or may not turn up until a speculative sequel), though she's less likely to have time for him.

Ah! So the kill everyone but we'll do it a Tome King fashion? Gotcha. ;)

Actually, I think these particular Necrons have been watching a bit too much Battlestar Galactica. Or possibly Captain Scarlet.

And "Tome King" ae? Sounds like an awesome alternate title for a GM. :P

Jarms48
02-22-2013, 09:39 AM
Actually, I think these particular Necrons have been watching a bit too much Battlestar Galactica. Or possibly Captain Scarlet.

Oh, yeah? I'll have to read up on Cylon battle tactics. :D I haven't seen much Captain Scarlet actually...............

And "Tome King" ae? Sounds like an awesome alternate title for a GM. :P

That is actually what my D&D GMs name is >.>
Thus the confusion.

Simulacrum
02-22-2013, 02:38 PM
What are the pros and cons of Lasguns and normal guns?

dakkagor
02-22-2013, 03:30 PM
Emperor Damnit the forum ate my last post. . .lets try that again

Lasguns offer the following capabilities:

Reliable: Lasguns are designed to be used by the most primitive imperial guardsmen and can take a beating and still work at full effectiveness. There is a reason Kally has a pair of steel burners as her backup pieces.

Ease of maintenance and ammunition procurement: Lasguns are very easy to maintain with the proper equipment and the power packs can be recharged from civilian power sources. In emergencies, they can be tossed into camp fires and recharged, though this quickly destroys the packs.

Light and Accurate: lasguns aren't as heavy as auto weapons and are very accurate. Las based sniping weapons are common.

Low rate of fire: lasguns generally have a lower ROF than auto weapons of comparable abilities.

Poor armour penetration: lasguns are near worthless against heavy armour.

Sounds lame: Crack-crack-crack-crack

Autoguns offer these capabilities:

Flexible: autoguns can use a variety of specialist ammunition types, including armour piercing rounds, flechette, etc etc.

Weight of fire: autoguns kick out alot of bullets.

More Damage: they do, on average, slightly more damage than comparable las weaponry, and they also fire quicker, making them better at suppression.

Heavy: autoguns are heavier weapons and more maintenance intensive than lasguns. The ammunition is also heavier.

Plentiful ammunition: autogun ammunition is plentiful and cheap, and readily available from black market and legitimate sources.

Sounds cool; Dakkadakkadakkadakka.

Simulacrum
02-22-2013, 10:58 PM
Thanks Dakkagor. I think I might go with one of each. Not sure which will be the primary and sidearm weapon though.

Jarms48
02-22-2013, 11:57 PM
I do have a weakness for stub guns, good old semi automatic pistols or revolvers.

childsouldier
02-22-2013, 11:58 PM
I've actually never played D&D so it went completely over my head, sorry! Never played Dark Heresy either... Might have to give that a look at some point, apparently even just the books themselves are really cool and full of fluffy goodness.

Jarms, just so long as you don't have us squirming in our seats and force Azazael to add "possible incestuous themes" to the warning line we'll be a-ok!

I was wondering myself what "version" of Necrons we were dealing with, thanks for the heads up. I'm sure it'll become clear from the OP and as the IC progresses. I think the premise of replicants certainly fits more with the newer fluff, which I do quite like.

Never seen Battlestar nor Captain Scarlet (in fact never heard of the Captain before) but I've been meaning to get the Battlestar Galactica box set from my mate for ages, maybe now's the time!

Also just a word the wise, Vincent is definitely a Replicant! Felwether plays Necrons and I'm sure he's been subverted to their twisted cause! (That said, my IG aren't exactly all that "Imperial" either...)

Can't wait for Tuesday and the IC to sink my teeth into some RPing after such a long break!

EDIT: Also, just read your summary of the pros & cons of las vs. standard weaponry and I was so glad you included the noise factor! Laser pointers are all well and good but they don't have the bark of an autogun or, even better, bolt weapons! Truly you appreciate the finer points of the craft of war! :say:

Jarms48
02-23-2013, 02:19 AM
I've actually never played D&D so it went completely over my head, sorry! Never played Dark Heresy either... Might have to give that a look at some point, apparently even just the books themselves are really cool and full of fluffy goodness.

I could shoot you a copy of Only War, if you're interested. Guard version of Dark Heresy basically.

Jarms, just so long as you don't have us squirming in our seats and force Azazael to add "possible incestuous themes" to the warning line we'll be a-ok!

Hahahaha! Dammit!!! *Strikes off at least half of his stories* >.>

EDIT: Also, just read your summary of the pros & cons of las vs. standard weaponry and I was so glad you included the noise factor! Laser pointers are all well and good but they don't have the bark of an autogun or, even better, bolt weapons! Truly you appreciate the finer points of the craft of war! :say:

Well, I'd never take a summary without a grain of salt, in 40k there are always exceptions. It all depends on make, components, purpose and an entire list of other factors.

dakkagor
02-23-2013, 11:22 PM
I feel I have to defend one of my favourite games from Jarms here: Dark heresy doesn't let you play space marines. You are low to mid level acolytes working for the inquisition.

Deathwatch, on the other hand. . .

Jarms48
02-23-2013, 11:26 PM
On my defense I only play Only War. :P
I know which one I meant.

Atrum Daemon
02-24-2013, 04:37 AM
For as unfriendly as some of Deathwatch's mechanics can be, some of the best times I've had have been in Deathwatch games. Though I prefer Dark Heresy and Black Crusade. Hoping to play Only War in the near future.

childsouldier
02-25-2013, 01:21 AM
Never heard of Only War, is it a GW product like DH or is it fan-made? Is it an electronic file (like PDF)? If you wouldn't mind sending a copy my way I'd be interested in taking a look. Cheers jarms!

Jarms48
02-25-2013, 01:32 AM
It's Fantasy Flight Games same company that produces DH and certainly, I'll send you a PM when I get time.

Azazeal849
02-25-2013, 02:19 PM
One day to kickoff. :>

If anyone has got any ideas or subplots that they haven't already shared and would like me to work into the story, please feel free to PM me.

dakkagor
02-25-2013, 03:44 PM
really looking forward to this. . .

childsouldier
02-25-2013, 09:01 PM
Cheers jarms that's come through and just taking a quick at it look now!

Azazael, about to send you a PM with an idea I had for Fredriq. I seem to only have space for 2 PMs, is that right? Seems like on a forum like this with lots of planning going on there should be room for more.

Looking forward to tomorrow!

Jarms48
02-25-2013, 09:02 PM
You'll get more room, you just have to be given members status.

childsouldier
02-25-2013, 09:20 PM
Ah ok, that makes sense. I was thinking 2 was a ludicrously small amount of space given the planning that goes into GMing an RP! Thanks again for Only War jarms, I'll probably never get around to actually playing it but I'll definitely give it a good read, looks like there's some really interesting stuff in there.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah ok, that makes sense. I was thinking 2 was a ludicrously small amount of space given the planning that goes into GMing an RP! Thanks again for Only War jarms, I'll probably never get around to actually playing it but I'll definitely give it a good read, looks like there's some really interesting stuff in there.

Jarms48
02-25-2013, 09:44 PM
One day to kickoff. :>

If anyone has got any ideas or subplots that they haven't already shared and would like me to work into the story, please feel free to PM me.

Hmm, I have some ideas, though I don't know what you have planned.

Azazeal849
02-26-2013, 12:23 AM
Well you can throw them at me now, or later once you've got a feel for the plotline.

Azazeal849
02-26-2013, 10:24 AM
Childsoldier, could you please make a space in your inbox so I can reply to your PM?

childsouldier
02-26-2013, 10:39 AM
Hi Azazael, sorry about that, have made some room for it now.

Jarms48
02-26-2013, 11:28 AM
Every time I saw Clement, (yeah I know, I know) I smiled for a little bit. XD

Also rough size of the Storm Trooper contingent? You said Major, so would roughly 80 to 200 be an appropriate number?

Azazeal849
02-26-2013, 11:46 AM
You'll like Clement, he's a fun guy. :>

We only saw Kepler's platoon in A Wash of Black, which was about 50 men, but based on that a total contingent size of a couple of hundred stormtroopers sounds reasonable.

Jarms48
02-26-2013, 12:25 PM
I didn't! D:

But duly noted, I will formulate a reply when I get up in the morning.

dakkagor
02-26-2013, 12:31 PM
Aaaand. . .my reply is up.

DoughGuy
02-26-2013, 12:54 PM
duly noted, I will formulate a reply when I get up in the morning.
^

Azazeal849
02-26-2013, 03:34 PM
Punctual as always, Dakkagor. :D

Don't worry Jarms / DoughGuy, I appreciate that here in the UK I'm a few hours out of sync with you guys.

Also thanks to whichever mod put an [M] sticker on the IC thread title after I forgot to do so.

dakkagor
02-26-2013, 03:41 PM
I've been sitting here with baited breath and 11 pages of pre-prepared material, and the desire to write another 5 or 6 pages more. THIS GAME CANNOT GO QUICKLY ENOUGH, I MUST HAVE MORE.

anything to distract me from making payments via natwest. . .urgh.

Azazeal849
02-26-2013, 03:57 PM
Marc would probably ask her "how things went downhive" (yes, he hasn't gotten used to saying 'city' instead of 'hive' yet) - not enough to bother with a separate post, but you could tag that and a response onto the end of your previous post if you like. That should keep NatWest off your back for a few more minutes.

dakkagor
02-26-2013, 04:10 PM
Cool, will do. And thanks. That payment system drives me nuts. ..

Simulacrum
02-26-2013, 07:11 PM
I was going to try to make it nicer, but now that the IC is up, I don't want to take any longer. So here it is:

Name: Mattius Attelus
Age: Twenty(This is earth years. I don't know how long a full revolution of Venatora is.)
Position / rank: PDF infantryman
Appearance:http://i52.tinypic.com/15dwftc.jpg
Personality:
- Friendly
- Always trying to prove himself
- Good sense of humor
- Tends to not think through what he says
- Used to being idolized/applauded for his actions
- Childish at times
Weapons: assault rifle, laspistol
Other: Mattius doesn't use anything special, just standard PDF gear.
Background: Mattius was born on Venatora, and had a fairly normal life as a child; he did fairly well in school, had lots of friends, and was well-liked by children and adults alike. He was, however, a bit of a troublemaker. Whether it was childish pranks or just taking some sort of dare, he was always trying to impress other children. By the time he was thirteen he was somewhat of a legend amongst the younger children, despite the fact that the things he did weren't really that impressive.

When Mattius had finished school, he spent a couple of years working a small job, as he was unsure of what he wanted to do for a living. Everyone had high expectations of him, and he didn't want to disappoint them. To his family's delight, he decided to pursue a military career. He enlisted with the PDF, and passed his examination with flying colors.

Atrum Daemon
02-27-2013, 02:23 AM
IC is up? I will get to posting!

DoughGuy
02-27-2013, 05:20 AM
First post and there will already be tension between our blank and psyker XD

Jarms48
02-27-2013, 06:50 AM
Uh, tell me if you want me to change anything, the first part I had written A LOT more and only posted maybe the first quarter. The second half I wrote when I was half asleep, also was going to be MUCH longer, morning PT, waking up in the barracks, etc. The last part, well to be honest I was a little stuck. XD (I blame work)

Azazeal849
02-27-2013, 09:28 AM
Some interesting first posts!

Accepted, Sim - as discussed Mattius will have been assigned to the team by the governor to speed up any necessary interaction with the local military.

Don't worry Jarms, just because I encouraged you to explore character background IC, don't feel pressured to dump it all in the first post. :P

EDIT - And to answer your question, Sim, a Venatoran year is approximately 1.1 Terran years (so if Mattius is 24 standard he will be 21 or 22 Venatoran).

childsouldier
02-27-2013, 11:28 PM
Ok I may have went totally over the top with my intro post, kind of got carried away with the character. I promise future posts will be significantly shorter, and will edit down that one if necessary. Fredriq may be a little bit late, as is his wont!

Azazeal849
02-27-2013, 11:47 PM
That was awesome! :D

I've also missed Vincent...

Jarms48
02-28-2013, 12:00 AM
I liked that....... good post childsouldier.

One thing I think I can do, is be a prick. XD

Oh, I'm gonna die.

childsouldier
02-28-2013, 12:05 AM
If in doubt, that's always a good option jarms! Hope you brought a hellgun with you!

Jarms48
02-28-2013, 12:07 AM
Always got my hotshot on me! Hell, Remus almost lives in his gear!

DoughGuy
02-28-2013, 12:08 AM
Did you describe Shere in that post Jarms?

Jarms48
02-28-2013, 12:10 AM
Yeah, you're just a bolt magnet. :P

DoughGuy
02-28-2013, 12:12 AM
lol

Azazeal849
02-28-2013, 12:29 AM
While that post was pretty amusing Jarms, I think it's unlikely that this is the first time Mr Remus has seen the others. He will have come to Venatora on the same ship and acted as their escort for the past week or so. Vizkop however will be unfamiliar, as he just got here an hour ago.

Jarms48
02-28-2013, 12:36 AM
As TFC doesn't often work directly with field agents, he will have only met the other characters for the first time when they were dispatched to Venatora a couple of weeks ago.

................... Actually, yeah. I'll umm, edit it then.

kardar233
02-28-2013, 01:26 AM
Holy crap, how did I miss this? I need to punch myself repeatedly in the face, now...

Azazeal849
02-28-2013, 01:41 AM
Kardar, you're alive? :O

This must be how Marc felt when he ran into Arcolin at the end of Wash.

Atrum Daemon
02-28-2013, 02:14 AM
Now I get to find out how Vizkop deals with social situations where the language ISN'T all done in binary.

kardar233
02-28-2013, 02:15 AM
I'm alive, just been a bit out of touch.

And no, that's totally wrong. I'm not grinning like a fucking maniac right now. Totally different.

Jarms48
02-28-2013, 12:12 PM
Kally glared at the back of Julianus head. Motherfracker had just been staring at her ass!

XD *Dies*

Wouldn't have thought Julie an ass man, not the way I imagined it but still my sides started to hurt when I first read that. XD

dakkagor
02-28-2013, 02:25 PM
Kally saw Julianus looking at her, so she just kind of jumped to the conclusion right or wrong, she's not a very social person at the best of times and you did describe him sweeping his gaze over her figure. . . just don't get caught doing it again :P

Felwether
02-28-2013, 08:15 PM
Just posted up a quick one, to pop the question as it were.

Azazeal849
02-28-2013, 09:00 PM
Wouldn't have thought Julie an ass man, not the way I imagined it but still my sides started to hurt when I first read that. XD

"I knew it! You're an arse man!" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh_V86t9k7I)

Jarms48
02-28-2013, 09:45 PM
Kally saw Julianus looking at her, so she just kind of jumped to the conclusion right or wrong, she's not a very social person at the best of times and you did describe him sweeping his gaze over her figure. . . just don't get caught doing it again :P

I think Julie can take her. :D
Bring it, sparring match 1200!

"I knew it! You're an arse man!" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh_V86t9k7I)

I remember seeing that! XD

Simulacrum
02-28-2013, 10:38 PM
I made my (extremely rushed) first post. I would have spent more time on it, but I wanted to get at least one post in before the RP really starts moving.

Atrum Daemon
03-01-2013, 01:29 AM
Managed to get somethin new up. I'll be more attentive over the next few days

Azazeal849
03-01-2013, 10:04 AM
That's cool, PaintSerf tells me he is working on the final "intro" post so I'll try and draft out the next plot mover before I go away for the weekend.

EDIT - It's ready; I'll post it after PaintSerf.

There was something slightly off putting about the woman called Kelly that was in line with the feeling he understood to come from what one would call a “psychic blank.”

Also, I apologise for the obvious confusion potential, but Kally (with an "a") is the Pariah and is a separate character from Kelly (with an "e"). If it helps you can use their surnames (Sonder and Black respectively).

Cfavano
03-01-2013, 04:55 PM
http://i.imgur.com/6u3Qn8f.jpg

Azazeal849
03-01-2013, 05:16 PM
Awesome.

So that's why his characters all wear closed helmets - he's a freaking Tau in disguise!

Cfavano
03-01-2013, 05:18 PM
the fact that he sucked in close combat didn't give it away?

Atrum Daemon
03-01-2013, 07:58 PM
Also, I apologise for the obvious confusion potential, but Kally (with an "a") is the Pariah and is a separate character from Kelly (with an "e"). If it helps you can use their surnames (Sonder and Black respectively).

I'll go and fix my mistake.

Felwether
03-01-2013, 08:27 PM
He turned his head to look straight at the man sizing him up. Vincent, if he remembered correctly. A man of professionalism who carried himself well. The augments complimented his body well.

Ha, professional isn't the exact word I'd use to describe Mr. Nyl but I'm sure he'd be flattered! ;)

Jarms48
03-01-2013, 10:30 PM
Awesome.

So that's why his characters all wear closed helmets - he's a freaking Tau in disguise!

XD

My secrets blown! >.>
*Calls in reinforcement*

childsouldier
03-02-2013, 12:08 AM
Ok Fredriq has finally made it to the landing pad. If I took any liberties with the city/planet do let me know Azazael. And I don't believe I have, but if I've left someone out of Fredriq's appraisal, I apologise and will add a description in the most flattering terms as recompense!

DoughGuy
03-02-2013, 12:54 AM
SO is that everyone there now?

childsouldier
03-02-2013, 01:13 AM
I think we're still waiting on Saphira the Sister Hospitaler?

PaintSerf
03-02-2013, 07:35 AM
That’s correct; it’s only Sapphira (and Kelly Black) who are the only ones not there yet. No idea of Kelly's joining us or not though.

I had a few questions to bounce off Az, after drawing blank on how to launch the character, but hopefully my post should be shortly knocked into shape. At the very least you’ll have her appearance at the pad alongside the rest of you, probably with thoughts about them as well, and the promise of an earlier moment edited in.

Oh, and praises to the God Emperor, I finally updated the character sheet. The personality and equipment sections are filled out, and even added visuals of your team medic.

childsouldier
03-02-2013, 05:40 PM
Damn that's really weird PaintSerf, am listening to the remixed soundtrack to Tron Legacy and clicked open Saphira's appearance, I nearly choked on my food! Good to see there's at least one character here who gives a damn about any of the others!

Azazeal849
03-02-2013, 11:21 PM
Good to see there's at least one character here who gives a damn about any of the others!

Well, working together requires professional trust; not necessarily LIKING each other. That said, by the end of this I think a few characters might surprise you.

PaintSerf is waiting on some input from me, which I should be able to write tomorrow night or Monday.

Azazeal849
03-04-2013, 01:05 AM
SITREP: I've sent the stuff over to PaintSerf, and I believe we will have a last minute addition to the team from Kardar. After they've both made their mark on the IC, I'll post the next update.

kardar233
03-04-2013, 01:09 AM
Hi! You can call me Lia. I think this is going to be lots of fun... *sniff* Right?

Name: "Lia"

Personality: Lia is a breath of fresh air compared to the often-dour demeanours of most Inquisition agents. Though usually quiet, she's bright and sometimes curious, and among those who find her good company (rather than irritating) her optimism can be infectious. Not being used to human interaction, she'll often miss social cues, though in some cases her perception will key her in that she shouldn't be talking at the moment.

Appearance: Lia is a small, slender girl with straight nut-brown hair and bright green eyes. She wears a simple outfit consisting of a black vest and loose trousers, sometimes throwing a slightly too-large jacket over top. She refuses to wear shoes.

Abilities: Lia's psychic powers are heavily influenced by having spent most of her young life on Settler's Bane, a world whose wildlife renders its Feral Ork infestation a "minor nuisance" in comparison. Much of her skill is in manipulating her own body, which she used as a primary survival skill. Through long (and sometimes frantic) practice she can render herself immune to just about any toxin and alter the density and physical properties of her body. She also has demonstrated the ability to metaphysically connect herself with objects that she is in contact with, allowing her to feel the object as if through proprioception. With this she can sense other beings in contact with the object (and who have had contact recently), allowing her to scout and track effectively. She can also spatially "lock" herself to the object at hand, attaching herself physically to it. She also displays a powerful telekinetic ability, but curiously is unable to project it; instead, she uses it to boost her movements, meaning she is far stronger than she appears.

Items:

Hellpistol: Lia often has to be reminded to bring this token weapon along with her. A weapon of the classic Lucius pattern, it is slightly too large for her hands especially with its expanded power pack. While proficient with it (though she handles it strangely) she rarely ends up using it, reasoning that it's more effective to just hurl things at her opponents.

Necklace: A thin but very tough chain hooks through a solid silver ring and a massively oversized canine to form this necklace. Lia wears it at nearly all times.

History: Lia came to the Inquisition's attention during an operation on Settler's Bane, after she had found and followed the team for some distance out of curiosity. She eagerly identified the team as Inquisition (quietly adding "I knew people like you would be coming...") and lent her assistance in navigating the death world. When the mission was complete, she insisted on being taken back with the team, though it was only because of a bureaucratic "mixup" that she narrowly escaped being sent to the Black Ships. Yet another "mixup" led her into the massive Inquisitorial organization of Immanuel Sidonis, where she begged, pleaded and punched a grown man through a bulkhead for a chance to work for the Inquisitor. Lia has minimal experience with real Inquisitorial teams at this point, but is stable, eager to learn, and in the words of her last team leader, "occasionally knows when to shut the frakk up".

Azazeal849
03-04-2013, 01:17 AM
Accepted, although I will point out that not wearing shoes is probably a bad idea in the middle of the Venatoran winter.

kardar233
03-04-2013, 02:18 AM
Lia manipulates her own body as a matter of course; she knows what "cold" is intellectually, and from vague memories, but for her it's mostly something that happens to other people.

Might be slippery though. That's something to think about.

Azazeal849
03-04-2013, 08:09 AM
Well, I guess that's one way to make an entrance. :P

kardar233
03-04-2013, 08:22 AM
Of course, only knowing the dictionary definition of cold has its drawbacks...

dakkagor
03-04-2013, 08:38 AM
Gotta admit, this is the first Cute Bruiser (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CuteBruiser) I've ever seen in Warhammer 40k. She'd probably be a pretty terminal surprise for more than a few opponents who would normally ignore teenage girls on general principles.

And the self focused nature of her abilities means that she could probably one-hit-kill Kally despite her being a blank. That's pretty awesome, actually.

DoughGuy
03-04-2013, 08:49 AM
Hmm I don't think so actually. You cant use powers within a psychic blank's area. So her telekinesis wouldn't work and it would depend on the nature of her body altering affects. If its a permanent change ala the biokinetics of the pavoni then they would survive inside a blanks's field. But if they were held in place by her powers she would revert to normal within the field.

dakkagor
03-04-2013, 09:30 AM
In that case, she might regret the lack of boots by the middle of the game. . .

DoughGuy
03-04-2013, 09:50 AM
If we ever split the group I volunteer to be in the group Kally isn't!

kardar233
03-04-2013, 09:58 AM
A fight with Kally? Hmm... Lia warps her body to about the consistency of basalt when she's in a fight (or just angry), so she's definitely up on the durability (and mass) side. However, her strength is nearly all telekinesis, so Kally would have the advantage there. Plus, while Lia has been fighting orks and worse for most of her life, she is a bit rusty on proper technique; it doesn't usually seem to be necessary when you can punch a man's torso into pink mist.

However, if Lia knows the effect of Kally's blanking field, she'd probably just run away and whack Kally with a flying chaise longue. Lia is good at throwing things. In her debut game, she pegged a running king with his own overly-ostentatious throne from fifty metres. Blank or no, a hundred kilos of upholstery to the face is not going to be a fun experience.

Yeah, Cute Bruiser is not an especially common trope in 40K, but I've always liked the idea of a tiny girl who scorns Waif Fu and instead decides to make like the Hulk, and in a universe with eight-foot-tall super soldiers the thought of a girl who'd only top five foot with shin extensions hauling off and denting ceramite is a particularly funny one.

Though, seeing as 40K is, at its blackened, ruined heart a Cosmic Horror Story, I question the verisimilitude of anyone, especially experienced types, ignoring a harmless-looking teenage girl in the middle of a battlefield. Seriously, when you see a little girl in this setting, the proper response is to run the hell away, or, failing that, kneel and hope she doesn't condemn your soul to the endless torments of whatever daemon happens to be nearby.

dakkagor
03-04-2013, 10:13 AM
If we ever split the group I volunteer to be in the group Kally isn't!

Are you joking? Kally appears in games later on in the time line (n fact, about 5 years later for Wash of Black). I'd stick with her because she is apparently guaranteed to survive whatever Azazeal is cooking up. If Ciaphas Cain, HERO OF THE IMPERIUM, has taught us anything, its that the genre savvy survive the grim dark of the far future!

A fight with Kally? Hmm... Lia warps her body to about the consistency of basalt when she's in a fight (or just angry), so she's definitely up on the durability (and mass) side. However, her strength is nearly all telekinesis, so Kally would have the advantage there. Plus, while Lia has been fighting orks and worse for most of her life, she is a bit rusty on proper technique; it doesn't usually seem to be necessary when you can punch a man's torso into pink mist.

However, if Lia knows the effect of Kally's blanking field, she'd probably just run away and whack Kally with a flying chaise longue. Lia is good at throwing things. In her debut game, she pegged a running king with his own overly-ostentatious throne from fifty metres. Blank or no, a hundred kilos of upholstery to the face is not going to be a fun experience.

Yeah, Cute Bruiser is not an especially common trope in 40K, but I've always liked the idea of a tiny girl who scorns Waif Fu and instead decides to make like the Hulk, and in a universe with eight-foot-tall super soldiers the thought of a girl who'd only top five foot with shin extensions hauling off and denting ceramite is a particularly funny one.

Though, seeing as 40K is, at its blackened, ruined heart a Cosmic Horror Story, I question the verisimilitude of anyone, especially experienced types, ignoring a harmless-looking teenage girl in the middle of a battlefield. Seriously, when you see a little girl in this setting, the proper response is to run the hell away, or, failing that, kneel and hope she doesn't condemn your soul to the endless torments of whatever daemon happens to be nearby.

Yeah, the stand back and throw the scenery strategy is undoubtedly the best strategy to use against Kally. She's tough, but no one likes being hit by flying upholstery flung by scary small feral world children.

And I think you'd be surprised. I think the first response from the variety of gribblies the grim dark has to offer would be to put Lia fairly far down threat scale at first glance. (especially compared to Augmented Guardsmen, Mechanicus Assassins, bolter toting blanks gangers, and Inquisitorially trained ex Cops) It might take them a few precious seconds to go 'hold on. . .she's not wearing any shoes and its minus ridiculous degrees out here', seconds she can use to get close and start swinging those shapely deadly fists of hers.

Alot of psychic powers have pretty obvious flashy side effects (lightning, auras, zones of cold) and t seems that Lia doesn't have that limit. Subtlety and power wrapped into one deadly package.

kardar233
03-04-2013, 11:40 AM
And I think you'd be surprised. I think the first response from the variety of gribblies the grim dark has to offer would be to put Lia fairly far down threat scale at first glance. (especially compared to Augmented Guardsmen, Mechanicus Assassins, bolter toting blanks gangers, and Inquisitorially trained ex Cops) It might take them a few precious seconds to go 'hold on. . .she's not wearing any shoes and its minus ridiculous degrees out here', seconds she can use to get close and start swinging those shapely deadly fists of hers.

Sure, most will see the bolter-wielding badasses, or the flame-hurling psychic, or the cogboy as the primary threats. But Genre Savvy types? They know that in their genre, creepy little girls are the ultimate power. Sure, giant gribbly monsters are giant and gribbly, but little girls will make your hands strangle you by themselves while she hums off-key.

Alot of psychic powers have pretty obvious flashy side effects (lightning, auras, zones of cold) and t seems that Lia doesn't have that limit. Subtlety and power wrapped into one deadly package.

I wonder why that is... :vTongue:

DoughGuy
03-04-2013, 12:03 PM
I'm more interested in the 2 psykers fighting. It'd be a war of attrition, who will "burn" out first XD

Azazeal849
03-04-2013, 01:08 PM
What an entertaining conversation. :D

While I don't recommend you kick off inter-team fights for no reason, I will warn you that I have been in PM conversation with several players who have expressed interest in their characters secretly being (or becoming) replicants. Keep an eye on characters who disappear for no reason, or seem to have flimsy reasons for being here in the first place.

On an unrelated note, does anyone back there know how to fly an Arvus?

childsouldier
03-04-2013, 03:56 PM
I wanna see Lia shake Vincent's shiny new hand and break it... As far as incognito replicants go, I think we can all agree to just blame the witches and the blank like good Imperial citizens!

dakkagor
03-04-2013, 04:52 PM
Its those musty academic types I don't trust, to be honest. . . they always know way to much for their own good!

Cfavano
03-05-2013, 12:07 AM
real life berzerkers of Khorne:

http://www.badassoftheweek.com/index.cgi?id=969516523244

Jarms48
03-05-2013, 12:51 AM
While I don't recommend you kick off inter-team fights for no reason, I will warn you that I have been in PM conversation with several players who have expressed interest in their characters secretly being (or becoming) replicants. Keep an eye on characters who disappear for no reason, or seem to have flimsy reasons for being here in the first place.

I already have one of those picture boards with the strings tying everything together! Don't feed the paranoia! I have targets!

Atrum Daemon
03-05-2013, 04:57 AM
I wonder how fast we'll get to the inevitable Mexican standoff?

kardar233
03-05-2013, 05:51 AM
I already have one of those picture boards with the strings tying everything together! Don't feed the paranoia! I have targets!

Why would you tie strings all over a picture board? Wouldn't that make it hard to see the pictures?

dakkagor
03-05-2013, 12:19 PM
Come on Paintserf, post already! I'm chomping at the bit over here!

Azazeal849
03-05-2013, 12:47 PM
I will give him until this evening, and then post the next bit.

Don't worry PaintSerf, it won't set you back much - look forward to seeing your post when it arrives.

Simulacrum
03-05-2013, 02:49 PM
What an entertaining conversation. :D

On an unrelated note, does anyone back there know how to fly an Arvus?
>.>
<.<
>.>

I no longer trust any of you.

PaintSerf
03-05-2013, 06:46 PM

Now I’m reminded of BSG the board game… very good.

I will give him until this evening, and then post the next bit.

Please don’t wait for me! It’s easier for me to play a bit of catch up than have everyone else wait.

Azazeal849
03-05-2013, 08:54 PM
Please don’t wait for me! It’s easier for me to play a bit of catch up than have everyone else wait.

Okie dokie. I just didn't want to put too much pressure on you when half of the delay was due to me not getting back to you with some answers. Anyway, here we go!

DoughGuy
03-05-2013, 09:17 PM
Saw that coming XD
So where did Schafer's shuttle crash? Was it on the landing pad?

Azazeal849
03-05-2013, 09:27 PM
Saw that coming XD

I imagine you did!

So where did Schafer's shuttle crash? Was it on the landing pad?

No, but there are several flyers that could get us to the scene quickly on said landing pad.

Both shuttles are still in the air (though quite possibly not for much longer), some distance away from the city.

DoughGuy
03-05-2013, 11:28 PM
Ok. I think I'll actually wait for some other people to post before I do.

Azazeal849
03-06-2013, 12:01 AM
If you're looking for something for John to do he could follow Kally's order to call up the emergency services, or spark a fireball at the pilots to make them stop dithering - though if you'd rather wait to see the situation with Noyer and Schafer (which I will post in a few days) that's fine too.

Cfavano
03-06-2013, 12:03 AM
I found a real-world Sebastian Yarrick.

DoughGuy
03-06-2013, 12:06 AM
I didn't think about intimidating them but that's not really John's style. I'll think about it.

childsouldier
03-06-2013, 01:22 AM
So who wants to carry Fredriq to the lander? If you do, you also get to slap him till he snaps out of it! Or set his nostril hair on fire...

kardar233
03-06-2013, 01:23 AM
I think Lia will be fine carrying (read: dragging) him, but she might want to leave the slapping to someone else, as we don't need his brains splattered over the lander at the moment.

Cfavano
03-06-2013, 01:25 AM
so, no-one's interested?

childsouldier
03-06-2013, 01:27 AM
Ha ok, so long as some of his brains remain inside his head he should be ok! Interested in what Cfavano?

EDIT: Much obliged m'dear!

DoughGuy
03-06-2013, 02:16 AM
Its not relevant to the RP Cf. Use the 40K thread.

Atrum Daemon
03-06-2013, 04:39 AM
Lookin for honest answers: Should I keep up with the time shifts with the red text? Or is too distracting, confusing, etc?

Cfavano
03-06-2013, 05:00 AM
A real-life version of Commissar Sebastian Yarrick (who he was probably based off of)

Azazeal849
03-06-2013, 08:14 AM
Lookin for honest answers: Should I keep up with the time shifts with the red text? Or is too distracting, confusing, etc?

Well, you might use a different colour - red doesn't show up too well on the dark site background.

The flashbacks are cool though. It's nice to see a tech priest with some actual personality (beyond the stock traits of "stoic" and "curious").

Cfavano - don't take this the wrong way, but please stop spamming our thread with unrelated stuff.

Atrum Daemon
03-06-2013, 08:16 AM
I'll try variant colors. Something a bit brighter.

kardar233
03-06-2013, 10:04 AM
I had intended that Lia had had no direct contact with the rest of the team at this point, and as such would be an unknown factor, but that seems to not be the case. It's not a large issue, but I was looking forward to the first reactions of "who let this little girl into the Inquisition?" and then later "what the hell is this little girl doing throwing refrigerators?"

PaintSerf
03-06-2013, 10:06 AM
^ Oh, don't worry, you'll still get plenty of questioning.

kardar233
03-06-2013, 10:10 AM
Also, I was under the impression that the shuttles hadn't crashed yet. Possibly allowing for some thrilling heroics if we can get the Arvusii going quickly enough.

dakkagor
03-06-2013, 10:12 AM
I imagine Kally flicked through your dossier in a fairly uninterested way 'psyker' blah blah blah 'feral world' blah blah blah 'can punch out a space marine' blah blah blah 'doesn't wear shoes' . . . .wait, what was that last one? who doesn't wear shoes, that's nuts. . .

kardar233
03-06-2013, 10:31 AM
Lia's dossier is... spare, to say the least. And the thing tends to get lost in the bureaucracy a lot. Maybe it's luck. Maybe.

DoughGuy
03-06-2013, 10:31 AM
He said the shuttles hadnt crashed yet.

Azazeal849
03-06-2013, 10:32 AM
Yay, a PaintSerf post! :D

I had intended that Lia had had no direct contact with the rest of the team at this point, and as such would be an unknown factor, but that seems to not be the case. It's not a large issue, but I was looking forward to the first reactions of "who let this little girl into the Inquisition?" and then later "what the hell is this little girl doing throwing refrigerators?"

I imagine the inquisition characters are quite genre savvy about supposedly harmless little girls in the 40k universe. More likely they'll be like Homer Simpson in the episode where the local mob are fighting the Yakuza.

"Look at the guy in the white suit! He hasn't done anything yet and you know it's going to be something cool..."

You might get the desired reaction out of Mattius the PDF trooper though.

Also, I was under the impression that the shuttles hadn't crashed yet. Possibly allowing for some thrilling heroics if we can get the Arvusii going quickly enough.

Correct. Perhaps Lia should go with Marc, to hold Schafer's shuttle up if necessary; and Shere should go with Kally, to knock Noyer's lander down if necessary.

I imagine Kally flicked through your dossier in a fairly uninterested way 'psyker' blah blah blah 'feral world' blah blah blah 'can punch out a space marine' blah blah blah 'doesn't wear shoes' . . . .wait, what was that last one? who doesn't wear shoes, that's nuts. . .

Kally Sonder in a nutshell. :D

kardar233
03-06-2013, 10:44 AM

Though I have to say, I found this quite funny. Anyway, shoes are squidgy and they make my feet sore. And they look silly.

I imagine the inquisition characters are quite genre savvy about supposedly harmless little girls in the 40k universe. More likely they'll be like Homer Simpson in the episode where the local mob are fighting the Yakuza.

"Look at the guy in the white suit! He hasn't done anything yet and you know it's going to be something cool..."

Seasoned agents, maybe, but this is just about first trip out for a lot of the characters here, including Marc and Kally. I don't think they've met enough Stringy-Haired Ghost Girls to be quite Genre Savvy enough yet. The relative underdress might be a tip-off, but she could be Valhallan; she's definitely got the complexion for it.

Correct. Perhaps Lia should go with Marc, to hold Schafer's shuttle up if necessary; and Shere should go with Kally, to knock Noyer's lander down if necessary.

Now that'll be worth watching...

~EDIT~ Also, why is it that posting finally picks up just when I should be getting some bloody sleep? Arrgh...

Felwether
03-06-2013, 10:59 AM
Seasoned agents, maybe, but this is just about first trip out for a lot of the characters here, including Marc and Kally. I don't think they've met enough Stringy-Haired Ghost Girls to be quite Genre Savvy enough yet. The relative underdress might be a tip-off, but she could be Valhallan; she's definitely got the complexion for it.

I'd imagine Vincent would have an idea, he probably has more experience than the rest of the team combined!

Anyway, I'll get a post up later - in work at the minute.

kardar233
03-06-2013, 11:07 AM
I'd imagine Vince expects her to start spewing warp-lightning out of every orifice any minute now, with the kind of experiences he's had.

Felwether
03-06-2013, 11:11 AM
I'd imagine Vince expects her to start spewing warp-lightning out of every orifice any minute now, with the kind of experiences he's had.

That's a bingo! :D

childsouldier
03-06-2013, 02:05 PM

Sorry, it may have been my post that gave the impression they'd crashed. I was just writing from Fredriq's perspective, he's about as savvy as a new born babe and thinks the lander has crashed, Schafer's dead and we're all following him straight into oblivion. A man in the grips of terror is never an optimist, especially a cynical old nark!

Cfavano
03-06-2013, 04:32 PM
why I don't use the 40k thread, is because no one else uses it. The last post was is december.

Azazeal849
03-06-2013, 04:43 PM
That may be. But this thread is for discussion of a specific 40k story, not random 40k-related trivia.

PaintSerf
03-06-2013, 05:43 PM
Hmm… so the shuttles haven’t crashed yet.

I actually think I’ll leave Sapphira’s words as written thought.

Azazeal849
03-06-2013, 11:28 PM
"Marc, me, Vizkop, Nyl and Fredriq should head to meet the lander at the governers palace, assuming it didn't take return fire in that exchange."

By the way: Simulacrum, Mattius will know that the governor isn't actually at his palace at the moment - he's away at a meeting at an administratum complex on the outskirts of the city.

Jarms48
03-06-2013, 11:50 PM
Julianus is just going to follow everyone around, listening to command and acting as due ordered.

My work and certificate are getting the better of me, my posting will therefore be lacking. Sorry.

Azazeal849
03-07-2013, 12:04 AM
That's okay - he can sit in the back of the shuttle until a fight kicks off (which it will...soon) so take your time. :>

Felwether
03-07-2013, 12:09 AM
Hmmm... Vincent really should've brought a coat... And more guns. They always help.

dakkagor
03-07-2013, 12:19 AM
Kally has a spare pistol (she brings two backups for dual pistol action) so Vincent could ask to borrow one.

kardar233
03-07-2013, 12:20 AM
Incoming post. Are the Inquisition shuttle's engines still running? Hopefully it's not in a power dive...

Lia also has a pistol which she would just love to foist off on Vince. Kadath insisted that she use it, but she found him annoying and only agreed to shut him up.

DoughGuy
03-07-2013, 12:31 AM
For some reason I cant figure this out, who is on which shuttle?

I've got Kally, Fredriq and John on one

Juliannas, Marc, and Lia on the other.

Who am I missing from each?

childsouldier
03-07-2013, 12:54 AM
I'm about to post but am also a little confused as to each shuttle's occupants. I make it Vincent, Kally, Lia, John Shere, Vizkop and Fredriq in one, with the remaining (Marc, Kelly, Matthias, Julianus and Saphira) in the other? Not sure if I'm correct though. Have written my post with this in mind but will edit anyone in/out as required.

kardar233
03-07-2013, 01:07 AM
Lia is in Marc's shuttle, actually.

childsouldier
03-07-2013, 01:14 AM
Oh right sorry, I thought she hauled Fredriq onto the shuttle then got on with us. Darn, I'm just finishing writing my post and he was rather fixated by what he thought was a hallucination of a little girl amongst all these men of war. He couldn't quite countenance her lack of shoes... Oh well, major editing time! So other than Lia all the other characters' positions are right?

Felwether
03-07-2013, 01:19 AM
I think John's in the other shuttle too.

kardar233
03-07-2013, 01:21 AM
As I'm about to post in the IC, Lia dragged Fredriq over to Kally's group, entrusted him to Shere and went back to Marc's group. He might see some of her if he wakes up enough while she's dragging him.

Marc told Kally to take Shere, so he's with her. Lia is still with Marc.

childsouldier
03-07-2013, 01:37 AM
Ok cool so we have:

Shuttle 1: Marc, Kelly, Saphira, Lia, Julianus, Matthias
Shuttle 2: Kally, Vizkop, Vincent, Shere, Fredriq

That should help us to be able to refer back to.

kardar233
03-07-2013, 02:04 AM
If you've still got time to edit, you could fit in a glimpse of Lia while she's dragging him, have him think she's a hallucination and then get quite a surprise when she ends up being real.

Simulacrum
03-07-2013, 03:43 AM
Hope I didn't miss too much. I've been busy the past couple of days, so I haven't gotten the chance to post.

EDIT:

Working on a post now.

Atrum Daemon
03-07-2013, 04:28 AM
I'll have a post up tonight.

childsouldier
03-07-2013, 05:28 PM
If you've still got time to edit, you could fit in a glimpse of Lia while she's dragging him, have him think she's a hallucination and then get quite a surprise when she ends up being real.

Yeah I might still edit it in, though a few posts have come and brought the story on by now. Either way Fred's gonna be more than a little perplexed at this nymph suddenly joining the group.

Azazeal849
03-07-2013, 06:01 PM
Yeah I might still edit it in, though a few posts have come and brought the story on by now.

Just so you know, it's always fine with me if you want to backtrack a bit during your posts before bringing the character "up to date". I don't want you to feel locked out of certain parts of the story just because you didn't get a post up as fast as some of the others.

Azazeal849
03-07-2013, 10:36 PM
Also, updates for everybody next week (or as soon as I can put together results for everyone's actions).

Jarms48
03-07-2013, 10:49 PM
*Slams head on desk* I don't know what to post! D:
So many things I could have done but have missed, so many comments I could have said.

Azazeal849
03-07-2013, 10:54 PM
Post them if you like. As long as people don't start retroactively responding to your retroactive comments things shouldn't get too messy. :P

Now to go figure out at least the plan for the two groups and for Fredriq. I've got visitors this weekend so, like I said, the finished article will probably be typed up and posted next week.

kardar233
03-08-2013, 12:45 AM
What I've seen done for bits you missed (to avoid the "retroactively responding to your retroactive comments" problem) is to PM the player whose character you would be engaging with, figure out the conversation and post it in one post, thus avoiding the problems of carrying on retroactive conversations.

Also, Felwether: in my head, Vincent (with his wool hat) now looks like Jayne.

childsouldier
03-08-2013, 12:46 AM
As long as people don't start retroactively responding to your retroactive comments things shouldn't get too messy. :P

This is what I was worried would happen if I started editing back! Looking forward to seeing where things go now, Fredriq's probably happy enough staying out of harm's way on the shuttle or, even better, fleeing the site ASAP!

dakkagor
03-08-2013, 02:24 PM
Hell, three bolters with cover and elevation! That's a nasty little killing field they've set up there.

And Kally got dunked in water . . .that's just cruel. . .goodbye competent under fire Kally, hello messed up Kally with serious issues. . .

Azazeal849
03-08-2013, 02:26 PM
I love it when I accidentally beat my own deadlines. :)

Well damn, it looks like Noyer brought some of the perimeter defence servitors back with him.

Vincent (and possibly others) will have noticed that the firing bolters lacked the bang of kicker charges, suggesting that they are long-range versions rather than the close-quarter versions used by, say, Space Marines. While this makes them easier for human-sized shooters to handle (and ideal for perimeter defence), it also makes them ineffective below about ten metres.

The servitors have motion sensors, but in the whiteout they are using thermal targeting and laser range finders. Hot things (like, say, fire) will screw with their vision.

And don't worry Childsouldier, Fredriq is safe enough in the Arvus.

Felwether
03-08-2013, 07:55 PM
Post up!

What's the terrain like in front of us BTW? Open ground or would there be shallow snow drifts and rocks?

kardar233
03-08-2013, 10:39 PM
And Kally got dunked in water . . .that's just cruel. . .goodbye competent under fire Kally, hello messed up Kally with serious issues. . .

I don't blame her; in Lia's other appearance, she ended up with the exact same issue, poor girl. Luckily no one's been that cruel to this Lia. Yet.

Azazeal849
03-09-2013, 01:24 AM
What's the terrain like in front of us BTW? Open ground or would there be shallow snow drifts and rocks?

Drifts and rocks, aye. So some potential concealment, but the deep snow is a bitch to run through at speed.

Simulacrum
03-09-2013, 09:21 PM
I've been trying to come up with something, but right now I can't think of anything to post. I guess I'll wait a bit until something more interesting happens on the other shuttle before I post.

dakkagor
03-11-2013, 12:55 PM
So, to get past the landers defences, the plan looks like:

# John throws fireball/flare into the air to blind the heat seeker sensors

# Everyone else runs like fury to the lander over the open ground, sprinting across a hundred metres of open ground.

# Once they get there, disable to the perimeter servitors at close range.

# . . . profit?

Sounds like fun!

Azazeal849
03-11-2013, 01:15 PM
If you get stuck, I'm sure the other group will fly over to provide backup once they've rescued Schafer and Clement.

dakkagor
03-11-2013, 03:37 PM
I wouldn't worry, i don't think we are going to be hunkered down for long. . .

oh, found an interesting range of models recently on line: Sedition Wars

female conscript (http://www.seditionwars.com/index.php?option=com_factions&c=faction&faction=2&slug=female_conscript&Itemid=64)

Some very cool designs in there, especially if you wanted to poach them for a dark heresy style game.

Jarms48
03-11-2013, 11:52 PM
Arg! *Dies*

I need to post! I need to make all of Julianus' discomforts known! At least 3 pages worth of posting to work off and still building, I have to say the Storm Trooper hates the idea of a child being on the team.

*Starts rocking back and forth in his chair, slowly going insane*

Jarms48
03-12-2013, 05:18 AM
D: Double post, because Jarms is to lazy to hit edit.

Well I got something up, just to show that I'm still here. Will no doubt edit it when I get more time.

kardar233
03-12-2013, 06:09 AM
I have to say the Storm Trooper hates the idea of a child being on the team.

I wonder if he's going to hit a snag in thinking of her that way once it sinks in that she just stopped forty tons' worth of crashing shuttle barehanded and barefoot.

Jarms48
03-12-2013, 06:11 AM
Pfft! Hardly! Just put on some damn shoes!

You know it occurred to me, why did we climb on top of the turned over ship? Couldn't the girl just you know, flip it?

dakkagor
03-12-2013, 10:36 AM
Thats probably not so good for the occupants. . .

Azazeal849
03-12-2013, 10:44 AM
Besides, the shuttle isn't upside down.

Julianus does have something of a point about Lia though - while she might be psychically capable of serving at her age, it's fair to ask if she's psychologically capable. Mind you, what is considered "age of responsibility" by Remus' own values, by the inquisition, by the Imperium in general, and by inquisitor Sidonis based on whatever planet he comes from is anyone's guess.

Jarms48
03-12-2013, 11:02 AM
Yep, I knew I'd have to edit, reading and replying to three pages of text will do that.

childsouldier
03-12-2013, 03:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL2duiiGbNg

Lia's mantra made me think of this song... Sorry for the bit of a gap in posting, had a mental weekend and was in hospital all day Monday (I know how that sounds, but the two were unrelated!). I'll get Fredriq's next post up tonight after I kick Felwether's shiny metal ass!

kardar233
03-12-2013, 10:10 PM
You know it occurred to me, why did we climb on top of the turned over ship? Couldn't the girl just you know, flip it?

A couple of things:

Firstly, Lia isn't actually quite as strong as her act here implies. Her telekinetically-enhanced strength isn't actually doing the majority of the work here; it's primarily her power to lock herself to objects she's in contact with. When she uses this ability (described in-character as reaching, or reaching down) she basically makes herself a part of the object in question, meaning that any force exerted on her is spread out through what she's locked herself to, which allows her to exert large amounts of force without making me have to handwave away Newton's Third Law.

Here, the energy of the shuttle is being channeled through Lia into the rock that she's locked herself to; however, she can only handle so much incoming energy, so she has to bend with the shuttle's motion, skid back and then start again.

The shuttle crash scenario is kind of a perfect storm for Lia, in which all her major psychic abilities synchronize for maximum effect; her telekinetic strength, her great durability and her ability to lock herself to objects. She's punching far above her nominal psychic weight here due to this congruence in her abilities, so don't take this as a litmus test of her power.

Secondly: she's burnt herself out at this point. She's stretched herself to her very limit in trying to save the shuttle (and prove herself to the group in the process) and while she's been trained to have a large power reserve she's never done something on this scale. Expect a faceplant in three... two... one...

Thats probably not so good for the occupants…

That too; though that’s not something Lia would think of. She doesn’t think things through very well, but more to the point, she’s not quite totally clear on how squishy other people are. Since most of the people she’s punched have been Orks, she tends to assume everybody is about that tough. This may be a problem later on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL2duiiGbNg

Lia's mantra made me think of this song...

Well that was... interesting.

Lia inspired herself with the memory of a children's story she really liked: "The Exceptionally Fragged-Off (And I Guess Little Too, If You Insist) Telekine That Could Stop That Frakking Train After All The Other Stupid Bastards Refused". Her version of the story is... nonstandard, to say the least. Ask her about it sometime, she'll do a recital. With all the voices.

Felwether
03-13-2013, 12:51 AM
I'll get a post up tomorrow as soon as I finish work. I'd like Vincent to reach one of the servitors and punch its head in with his shiny new arm!

Azazeal849
03-13-2013, 01:10 AM
Who won this evening, by the way - you or Childsouldier?

Atrum Daemon
03-13-2013, 02:30 AM
Got a post in. Decided to try delving a little deeper down the temporal rabbit hole.

DoughGuy
03-13-2013, 02:46 AM
I'll get a post up tonight and give Vincent his chance to run Fel.

DoughGuy
03-13-2013, 11:44 AM
lol my bad on the counting front Dak XD

childsouldier
03-13-2013, 11:45 AM
Who won this evening, by the way - you or Childsouldier?

It ended up that we didn't play each other. Felwether won in a Marine vs. Marine match and I played our mate's Deldar with my Guard. We started the game with close to 120 models on the board, as well as 7 tanks. We ended with a total of 12 models on the board, plus one immobilised Raider... That happens literally every single time we play each other! (He won, just.)

Working on a post now, will be up shortly.

EDIT: Oh and Atrum? I think it's John and Vincent you're joining, Marc is at the other suttle rescuing Schafer.

dakkagor
03-13-2013, 11:58 AM
lol my bad on the counting front Dak XD

No worries, gives me something to bounce of for future posting. expect a 'what the frak' when you reach the lander. . .

DoughGuy
03-13-2013, 12:04 PM
Definitely gonna become a common thing on my end to XD

Felwether
03-13-2013, 12:14 PM
EDIT: Ignore this.

childsouldier
03-13-2013, 12:30 PM
EDIT: Ignore this.

No, I won't.

Atrum Daemon
03-13-2013, 09:51 PM
It is. I wasn't thinking when I mistakenly mentioned Marc.

Azazeal849
03-13-2013, 11:15 PM
Schafer's team - For the purposes of story flow, you can skip the second Arvus racing them back and drop straight into the fight by the lander if you wish.

Kally's team - It might be a good idea to disable the other two servitors before you go in after Noyer; they're not shooting right now, but they'll start again if someone moves outside their minimum range.

Oh, and good posts everybody!