PDA

View Full Version : [M] Dead New York

Ringman
05-25-2010, 08:24 PM
You can begin posting!

Mr.Handsome
05-25-2010, 09:28 PM
“-and finals for the semester are due Friday. You are dismissed.” The professor turned off his slide show on common and specific symptoms of heart dieses and started packing his papers. Jim Daily breathed a sigh of relief. He was almost done and ready to start his summer break. Hitting the beach, having more free time to explore the city, seeing a few shows. It would be a whole three months off before he would need to start worrying about his next set of classes. Best of all, the President was in town and he would have a chance to see him.

“No one back in Annville would believe I got to see the President,” he thought to himself happily. He packed his book and notes into his backpack and walked quickly out of the classroom, only to be stopped by a cadre of three girls. Very socialite. Megan, a girl in his Biology class, stepped up and put a long painted figure on his chest.

“Jim, I think it’s time you finally loosen up. All you did was fuckin’ study all semester. We’re almost done. Are you going to come drink with us or what?” Megan tossed some black hair out of her face and gave him coy look. Jim avoided her gaze bashfully.

“I ain’t done yet; I have two more papers to write. Maybe after the semester IS over?” He spoke in a light southern drawl, but nothing too foreign. He was working on getting it more Yankee sounding.

“I told you he was gay.” One of Megan’s friends snorted from behind her. Megan looked back and scowled at her, but Jim beat her to the punch.

“Now I ain’t gay, I just got priorities is all. After the semester is done, I’ll gladly drink you three ladies into a ditch.” He grinned and tipped his hat, strolling off to the sound of the three giggling.

Central park was crammed with New Yorkers, tourists, rent-a-cops, and journalists. Jim stood wide eyed at just how many people could be packed into one little space.

“There’s must be ten thousand people here.” Jim Daily said to himself. He wandered around with his camera, snapping pictures of random people or groups of people. Some carried signs, some had their dogs and their children with them, and one even had weird looking gas masks on. Jim raised an eyebrow, but moved on. It wasn’t the weirdest thing he had ever seen a New Yorker wear.

The President was expected to speak soon. Something about the economy. Jim didn’t really care. He would be seeing the leader of his country.

The sun was beating down something awful, in between a few sparse clouds. He took off his wide brimmed hat and wiped off his brow. His bald head itched from the sun and he put it back on.

After about half an hour of wandering, Jim found some shade near the far right edge of the open crowd area. He stood in the shade of a tree and winked at some girls his age, snapping their picture as they walked by and smiled back at him. Jim put his hands back behind his head rested against the tree, giving off a sigh.

“This is the life.”

TheDashingRogue
05-25-2010, 09:50 PM
(OOC : Caution! Lack of insider knowledge ahead! :D)

Pvt Mills sat at his post in Fort Drum listening to the radio. Today was the day of the President's speech, and as such special dispensations had been granted for base personnel to listen or watch the event wherever they were posted. "And it's a beautiful day out here in Central Park and I'm sat here with political commentator Daniel Jarvis, what do you make of all this Daniel?" "Well John it's a wonderful day for a wonderful speech, no doubt people are listening in or watching from all around the world. It's sure to be a good one!" "Well thanks for that Dan, yes folks this will be one heck of a performance! So be sure to stay tuned on this station only for all the best coverage..." He sighed and checked his watch again. [I]Only 11:30[, why do I have to pull guard duty?/I] The rest of his squad were inside the mess hall and would be watching the speech live along with cold beer and some doritos, extra cheese.

He sighed and shifted himself in his seat, resting his legs on the table in his post and hoping his CO didn't turn up. Today was going to be a long day, and it would be even longer before his leave. He was thinking he'd go somewhere nice, maybe Florida. Grab himself some cold beers, head down to the beach and catch some rays. That'd be just fine.

bluemoon
05-26-2010, 01:21 AM
Delta stood outside her friend's brownstone, her spaniel, Jasper pulling at his leash, eager to get going on his walk. She waved goodbye one more time to Lizzy and Jeff, telling them to be good, before setting off down the steps. The tulips blooming along the walk were dazzling in the morning sunlight, their pink and yellow petals a perfect compliment to the coming of spring. She smiled, letting the dog pull her along at a fast clip. She had several hours to herself. The twins would be content at Joans, who was hosting the play- date this week, and Michael wouldn't be home from work until late. She looked forward to a long walk in Central Park, followed by the president's speech, and then a nice relaxing lunch, el fresco, at Coney Island.

She encountered several joggers as she walked along E. 79th Street. Everyone seemed to be out enjoying the warm spring day. Jasper was happily sniffing every fire hydrant, bush and blade of grass, his tail wagging. She brushed a stray strand of hair from her face, tucking it behind her ear. She could hear the sound of commotion along 5th avenue as the park was being set up for the president's arrival. There were police cars on every corner, and as she neared the park, she could see several men in black suits and ties talking on radios. She kept to the less populated areas, walking the trails near the recreation area. Jasper was barking at the squirrels as they darted up the trees, their bushy tails waving up and down as if they were purposely teasing the dog. He pulled at his leash, hoping to break free and chase the rodents to their doom.

The sound of impatient traffic interrupted the beauty and calm serenity of the park. Delta pulled her i-pod from her yellow hoodie, placing the ear buds in her ears. She selected a grouping of songs from Nickelback and hit "play". Mouthing the words to "Someday", she reined in Jasper, telling him to sit. A homeless man wearing baggy navy blue pants and a ratty overcoat, tipped his baseball cap to her as he walked past. 'Just another day in the park.' She thought to herself.

nonangelic92
05-26-2010, 02:29 AM
DJ rubbed her temples, getting axel grease on her face. Men are so hard to deal with in the automotive industry. She wiped her hands off on a rag. "Listen sir, do not use that tone of voice with me. I told your wife that the part won't be coming in til Thursday since your baby here," DJ jabbed a finger over to the cherry red Ferrari 575 M Marnello, " And that after I fix it all up, it will cost you about $800." The man's anger showed upon his face, "Listen hear wench my wife knows nothing about cars and niether do you." DJ smiled sweetly, " Either take your cash and car and go to someone else or let me fix it for a cheaper price. I'm the cheapest person hear that won't charge over $1,200. Now what are you gonna do?" The man thought and gave the money to DJ, "Just fix it." and he left. DJ smiled and setting to work on fixing a few of the rust buckets she had around.

DJ ran through central park, her heart beating fast. She stop by a tree and stopped her stop-watch, 1:00. Good, she thought, I'm getting faster. DJ wiped the sweat out of her eyes with her jacket sleeve. She walked a few, then saw the crowd of people. Oh dang, I forgot the president's gonna speak today. Maybe I can watch it and if its boring I'll leave. She jogged over and stood next to a tree enjoying the cool shade and the fresh air.

StormWolf
05-26-2010, 05:12 AM
There was always something that tickled John's fancy about doing his runs through Central Park rather than on the beach or any other place in New York. It could have been any combination of things, ranging from the wide open space to the lack of people, even to the green that surrounded him when he ran.

John entered the Plaza in the South Side of Central Park, taking a deep breath and checking his watch. His heart rate was steady and healthy as it had ever been, and he made good time to boot. People always asked how John could stand running in cargo pants and that sweater of his; his answer was always the same: You think this is hot? Try midday Dubai in the middle of summer wearing full tactical gear with no water while getting shot at. Try that on for size, then gripe to me about the weather.

John truly wished that his little Grace was here with him instead of pushing him in to further debt with her mother. Still, whatever made his wife and Grace happy, he would provide, even if that meant taking on another job on top of his government paycheck every month.

John Archer bought a hot dog from a vendor and took a seat near the fountain, tossing a five dollar bill to a skilled musician playing away on his saxophone close by. The hot dog was fresh and filled with flavor, he swore that these things had to be boiled in heroine or something. No food should ever taste this good. John just shrugged, that was why he has maintained his strict military workout regiment even after retiring. If not for his daily workouts, he probably wouldn't be able to fit out the front door.

The retired government operative was relaxing and enjoying the aftertaste of the hot dog while taking the the sights of Central Park. It was very empty, with the President visiting and all. John was going to do his best to avoid that congregation. He had received too many orders behind closed doors with the President's stamp of approval, and too many of them were actions that still soil John's conscience to this day, no matter how much therapy he gets. There was a vibration in John's pants pocket, followed by some atrocious pop song that his daughter was a fan of. How the Hell did she always manage to get in his phone? John pulled the phone from his pocket and looked at the screen, a beautiful picture of Grace (http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/thumb_20/1126372066i19h80.jpg) filled the screen. Thumbing the answer tab to the side, John put the phone to his ear.

"Good morning sweetie. Did mommy spend all of my money already?" John answered with a half-joking tone.

"... Hello to you too, John." cam his wife's irritated voice. John sighed and shook his head. He was going to get it when he was home and Grace was asleep.

"Morning honey. How goes bankruptcy?" John jabbed a joke at his wife, a joke that was obviously not received as a joke on the other side.

"John, there are plenty of comedy clubs in the city, save your humor for them, at least you would make some money and get that ego of yours checked in the process." his wife snapped back. John stared flatly at a formation of ducks that floated about the pond. His wife kept on bitching about not trusting her with his money, and John focused more on the ducks, so much so it was a miracle that they did not explode.

"... and did you get the tickets for Billy Elliot? Grace has been aching to see that play all year." his wife finally finished her rant, showing mercy to the ducks.

"Yes dear, I got three tickets, good seats too, for tonight. I also got us a reservation at the Dove Tail." John said flatly, like it was no big deal that he blew close to $2,500 dollars on one evening.

"John... I don't..." his wife began, but he wouldn't let her finish,

"Can you give Grace her phone back?" there was a shuffling on the other side of the line before the voice of an angel filled John's ears.

"Hi daddy!" John could only smile when he heard Grace's voice.

"Hey kiddo. Having fun with mommy?" he stood up and started walking and talking, not really worrying to see where he was going or where other people were, since they moved around him instead.

"Uh-huh! Mommy got me this really pretty dress at Macy's! I can't wait for you to see it!" John smiled the sweet smile of a proud father. Grace got so excited over the more trivial and simple things in life.

"I bet you look like a princess in it. You will be able to wear it tonight, okay? I got three tickets to Billy Elliot."

"Really?!"

"Yes sweetie, really."

"I love you so much daddy! Thank you thank you thank you!" John couldn't help but chuckle at Grace's excitement.

"I love you too, kiddo." there was muffled talking on the other side of the line. John kept following the paved path beneath his feet through Central Park.

"I gotta go, daddy. Mommy is taking me in to Kay's...." there was another pause, "Will you be able to meet us for lunch?"

"You bet, sweetie. I'll meet you two in Times Square for a nice family lunch at Friday's." John bumped in to a man on accident, shaking his head and offering a quiet apology. The path was becoming more congested.

"Love you daddy."

"Love you too, sweetheart." John was able to respond before Grace closed her phone and ended the call. John clicked his phone in to standby mode and slipped it back in to his pocket. Blue-grey eyes studied his surroundings. John recognized this part of the Park, but there were several differences about it. The heavy congestion of people was one thing, as well as the strands of red, white, and blue balloons and the orchestra playing "hail to the chief".

"Motherfucker...." John muttered as he found himself staring at a stage with a podium that had a microphone and the President's crest. This was the last place on Earth he wanted to be right now. There were too many people crowding around him right now, he just had to move with the crowd. He was stuck having to watch a political bullshit speech by one of the men in the world John hated the most. He loved his country, but he just hated the assholes that "ran it".

Shani
05-27-2010, 12:02 AM
Nellie woke at 6:00am and went through her normal routine. Wake up, shower, get dressed, cook and eat breakfast with her friend, and leave for work. tHis morning she made pancakes and bacon. After idle chit chat with Sammy, she went off to work. Nellie prefered to walk to work over driving. Why are there so many people around, she thought. Oh thats right the president is making his speach today. She remembered, as she was walking. It was such a nice day, the sun was out and the sky was clear. She continued to walk, she didn't live too far from work so the walk never bothered her. Finally she arrived at her desination. She went inside the air conditioned cafe and began to set the tables, there would probably be a large crowd today.

Yoruyonaka
05-28-2010, 05:36 AM
Beep beep beep.

Natalie Edison awoke to her alarm clock's regular annoying at eight in the morning and hit it while pulling over her covers. Routine clicked in for her. It was methodical for her, not boring. A logical means to get to work. At the lab, they were working on remains that predated back to the late prehistoric ages when man first was sighted. It was a fabulous find and had Natalie itching to get there every second she could. After taking a shower and getting on her usual attire, usual for a Forensic Anthropologist, and went to her kitchen.

Natalie's apartment was the penthouse of a very nice apartment building in Manhattan. She wasn't that crazy about it, but her Publisher for her book thought it necessary for how well her book sold. Material things weren't really her thing. The apartment was normal for her, with pictures of Anthropological findings she found all over the world and some of her as a child. Many of her youth pictures depicted her wining a science award and getting a black belt in Taekwondo. Her life in high school and so forth was mainly academic, so she didn't really have many friends. Today, Natalie as friends at the lab and even some in the FBI. Although work related, they have become like family.

After cooking some eggs and boiling some coffee, she threw the news on while eating. The president's speech was today, but that wasn't of her concern. Politics were far from her interest. News like missing persons or natural disasters were what caught her eye, but today was normal, nothing special. Grabbing her bag and car keys, Natalie left at around 10-ish. She planned an all nighter so it was fine she was a tad late. Getting there at 12 wouldn't be too bad, but it nagged her the same. Natalie forced herself to stay away from the lab sometimes because she was becoming obsessive, that was never good.

Her 2010 fusion hybrid (http://hallmarkford.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/2010-fusion-hybrid-3.jpg) waited patiently in is parking spot. Probably the only really expensive thing she bought herself other than ancient artifacts and fossils. It was when she drove by Central Park she knew she made a mistake by taking her car. It was a complete gridlock. She looked over to see the area where the president was going to make his speech. It looked like she would be there for a while.

"I don't see why his speeches are more important than the find of the decade," Natalie muttered to herself. "This one specimen could be important in understanding our species further."

She pulled her cell phone out and hit the contact reading Carter.

"Hey Nat, what's up," Carter answered after a few rings.

"Yes," Natalie said with a indifferent tone. "I wont be able to get there for a while, in a traffic jam. Start the synthesizing of the DNA to test with the other samples. I promise I will be there as soon as possible."

"No worries Dr. N," He replied with a comical tone. "We figured as much with the President's speech and all. We of course thought you would consider the subway."

"I am a little off today," She replied, which was true. The day had a strange air to it. "Begin the DNA sequencing Mr. Carter. That is all."

Carter was her very humorous assistant, but a vital member of at the lab. Eying the park again, Natalie went into her thoughts, hoping traffic would move along.

Ringman
05-28-2010, 11:15 PM
Alex was walking down the street next to central park when his phone rang

"Yo" Alex answered

"Hey man its me Ricky"

Ricky was a friend of Alex's, he helped alex make they web site they have on the internet showing the insane things Alexs calls "fun".

"Sup bro, what do you need" alex cheerfuly said

"Umm yea you know the last stunt we did in broklyn? Yea well turns out you pissed off alot of people with all the cars you accidently wreaked" Ricky replied

"Yea that was.... unexpetced" He said

"Well turns out they want you dead man. So to prepair for a hit squad to take you out I" Ricky said while being cut off.

"Ricky, what the hell did you buy"

"A shit tone of guns"

"Ok I am going to say this, WHY DID YOU SPEND OUR MONEY ON GUNS" He yelled

"Look man these fuckers are low life gang bangers that dont give a shit who they kill, damn man they would kill the president trying to get to you, the police would just put them into a cell for a few nights and put them back on the streets. Then they would just try and go after you again" Ricky complained

"Ok man ok but I hope you didnt spend to mutch on these hand canons"

"Dont worry bro I didnt break our salary. Hey I got to head out to DC to see my family and I will be off for a couple days" Ricky said

"Sure man I will talk to you later" Alex replied

Alex hanged up the phone. Then he relized that the president was making a speech. He cursed to himself because he wanted to see it for a week now. He went into the park and pushed through the crowd to get a good view. The president got to the stage and walked to the microphone.

He began to speak but the whole time a man next to alex kept coughing more and more.

"You ok man" Alex said

The man kept coughing and coughing. Soon alot more people were coughing and even the president. Alex was confused why he wasnt coughing, was it somthing in the air? Then panic struck the president fell to the ground he was having a seizure. People were going crazy but before alex could go any were people all around him were falling and going into seizures. It was somthing that was unimaginable and terrifying. About a two minutes into it almost every one was on the ground dead. Alex was in complete shock, there was only one or two people standing with him. He stumbed to a park bentch and collapsed in terror, then somthing weird mad alex's skin crawl. A person on the ground stood up. Its face was torn and decad, made a loud screech and started to limb over to Alex.

"Aaaa shit"

Mr.Handsome
05-28-2010, 11:54 PM
Jim gave a wild cheer along with the rest of the crowd as the President took to the stage. It was him. It was actually him! ‘Hail to the chief’ was drowned out from all the excited cheering. As he began to speak, Jim hung on his every word. Something about the economy, it really didn’t matter. This guy had more power in his little pinky than Jim had in his entire body, which is really saying something, considering he is a Farmboy.

It wasn’t long, however, before Jim noticed the cute girl he winked at early was starting to cough and dropping to her butt on the ground next to her friend. She didn’t look well. Jim hurried up to her. She could have been choking or having a bad allergic reaction.

“Ma’am, are you okay?” Jim said, rushing over and kneeling next to her. The blonde continued coughing harshly. Jim felt her forehead. She definitely wasn’t choking. “You’re friend is burning up. We should get her to a hospital.” The blonde’s friend looked like she was about to say something when she choked on her words. She started coughing just as the blonde fell back on the ground, unable to breath. ‘They could be sisters, sharing the same allergies’ Jim tried to rationalize in his head. His next thoughts were drowned out by a building of coughs. He looked up.

It was starting with a few people. Probably one in every 50. But it started building. 1 in every 20. 1 in every 10. 5. Half. People were grasping their throats, unable to breathe in. They were falling to the ground, their muscles convulsing and growing weak under them. Jim stood up and stepped back at the horror unfolding before him. His eyes shot up to the President, who was trying to say something but couldn’t get the words out. His secret service detail was trying to get him away, but they were collapsing as well. Jim looked back down to that blonde. She was dead. She was dead, which means they were all going to die. He couldn’t believe it. What the hell was happening?

Jim sat where he collapsed to the ground against the tree. The Park was quiet now. He didn’t bother looking for other survivors. His eyes were glued to the sea of bodies. Thousands. 10s of Thousands. Snuffed out. Mr. Daily had taught him his whole life that nothing but your “mama, your wife, or your chillun gettin’ kilt” was worth crying over. This was damn close.

A man, a rent-a-cop, was running around in a tizzy, looking for survivors. He ran straight to Jim and started shaking his shoulder.

“Dude. …DUDE?!” Jim snapped out of it and looked up at him. “Are you okay buddy?”

“I’m fine, I guess.” Suddenly, the blonde started moving out of the corner of their eyes. Just a little movement, her arm twitching a little. Her head moving slightly. Without thinking, they both raced over to her, Jim started checking her pulse, while the rent-a-cop leaned over mouth with his ear to listen for breathing. The rent-a-cop looked confused and sullen.

“I’m not seeing or hearing her breath. Should we try C-P-AAAHHHH!!!!!!!” The Rent-a-cop screamed out, causing Jim to damn near jump out of his skin. The blonde was alive and well, with her teeth planted firmly in the rent-a-cop’s neck. He continued to cry for help as the blonde made out like a dog, tearing at him.

Without thinking, Jim kicked her as hard as he could in the head. It snapped back unpleasantly, as the rent-a-cop bemoaned his situation, clutching at the terrible gash in his neck. Before Jim could help him, several more people stood up.

The look in their eyes. It wasn’t even a look. It was the total absence of that spark of life. These people were dead. He could do nothing but watch the first few descend on the rent-a-cop, and the next twenty walk towards him. Jim ran.

bluemoon
05-29-2010, 12:42 AM
Del almost missed the opening of the president's speech. She had been absorbed in listening to her music and watching the gathering crowd. "Shit!" She muttered under her breath, pulling the ear buds out roughly, as she saw him step up to the podium. She had never been very politically involved--she hadn't even voted for this president-- but was excited just the same. The mood of the crowd swept over her, making her smile along with them. A man standing close to her cleared his throat, stifling a cough. As she watched, he began rubbing his throat, his face turning red. He turned to her, his mouth forming the words, "help me". Before she could react, he was on his knees, coughing violently. The coughs turned to gasps, and then he fell on his face into the grass. All around her people were coughing and collapsing. Dying. Jasper began to bark, pulling at his leash.

Del could see a few people still standing in the crowd. Behind her she could hear horns blaring and tires squealing. The sound of cars crashing into one another was deafening. She turned, seeing a car bump over the curb, heading towards the park and the people now laying on the ground. Jasper began growling low in his throat. He pulled hard at his leash and Mel lost her grip, watching helplessly as the dog snapped at one of the bodies on the ground. "Jasper..." She cried out, then stumbled backwards as she saw the bodies begin to twitch around her. She heard a man screaming, his hand placed over his throat. Blood was pulsing between his fingers. All around her chaos was ensuing. She stood motionless as several events occured simultaneously...Jasper yelped, a man ran from the crowd, the dead were rising, the car crashed into the podium, there was pressure on her ankle...

The last event caused her to jerk back into awareness. She saw fingers wrapped around her boot, pulling at her. She followed the length of the arm to the face of the young man who had asked for her help. His eyes were vacant, his mouth open wide. He moaned loudly, a string of drool hanging from his lips, seemingly eager to reach her. Kicking her captured foot, she struggled to get free. She heard a growl and saw Jasper, bleeding from his side, attacking the man's wrist. In a few seconds, she was free. Staring at the now risen crowd, she backed away slowly, afraid to take her eyes from them.