PDA

View Full Version : Ch.1 Escape (taking suggestions on a title)

spirits breath
05-27-2010, 06:47 PM
The Escape

It all began as an auspicious birth. A small fragment of cartilage, pointed up at the dark confines of his cramped prison. No light at all got in nor was there any sustenance left to keep myself alive. My eyes opened, revealing the same darkness that was once surrounding me. A soft blink, and small ruffling of my currently unknown body. By instinct, my head jerked up quickly the small piece of cartilage hit the rounded wall bouncing off mockingly. I flicked my head up once again, feeling a soft fragment of my prison loosen up.
The oxygen in my own home started to run low. Larger breaths were needed just to get enough oxygen to continue trying to break free.
Lungs stuck from expanding too far, further pushing me against the walls. I felt tired. After being in a sleeping state, for what was like an eternity, only to wake up to face my first test of life and death.
Death was winning. Once again I gave a hard thrust upwards, a small dot of light seemed to shine the way to life. I gave a frantic jerk. My heart pounding within my chest aching to be freed from its confines. The small beam entered my prison, blinding me momentarily. I stopped. Head pounding, the blood within me sent surges of pain, and signals of desperation throughout my entire body, I had to move. Despite the inability due to the small encasement of the prison,
I had to get out. The light making my eyes sees a murky red.
A hard thrust, cool air seemed though the hole that has been a journey in and of itself to make. It can in fast at first, and then once the shock of differing temperatures was done, did I continue. Once again, a thrust, one track minded to enlarge this small glimpse of freedom. My head ached, a throbbing pain coursing though my body, only to be slightly dampened by the release of adrenalin, the fight or flight response has kicked in. While the ability of slight at this time would have been nice, my only option left was fight. I jerked up hard, then again and again. The once microscopic hole allowed for the tip of cartilage to break though.
My body calmed down. In need of rest, and above all oxygen. The small stream of fresh air, clearing away the thick and moist air that once made my prison. Lungs expanded and contracted slowly seeking a break themselves. My eyes flashed open for a fraction of a second only to be closed to shield them from the light. I was almost there. I knew it, my entire body knew it without a second thought. I had to break free.
The air tasted of sweet nectar, rich, and it licked away desperation as I shuffled once last time. My neck drove hard breaking the last barrier. My body surged up with renowned energy, breaking though. Light pelted my body, struggling to keep up heat wise against the rapid evaporation of the thick, sticky substance that covered me.
I slowly opened my eyes, battered against by intense light. I tried again only to be discouraged once again. Eyes burning, and tears balling up at the ends of my eyelids. I opened them one last time. Eyeing the green world. Small green blades of grass, brown masses of trees reached to the heavens. Small insects move about in an uncoordinated path, only to be still by an even larger source of shade.
A sense of curiosity compelled me to look at my prison, and my former home. I had to see what it was I was trapped in. I looked down, past a rounded wall of dusty brown feathers, the sticky almost goo like substance held small white fragments against my body. The prison was a large round shell, as if it was an egg. Small yet it can be destroyed by a small being such as myself.
Heated air pushed the small feathers of my neck aside. Only to leave behind a soft cooling feel as the air around me re balance itself. The creature made step forwards, heat radiating off of it. The soft popping of air pockets in a salivating mouth noted a sense of hunger in the beast. My neck turned, small beak widening in the second emotion truly able to feel… fear.
The beast was matted in near thousands of red hairs. The hairs packed tight to create a thick shining fur. Specks of grey hairs were between the beast’s chin and lower jaw. The legs were compact, yet strong. The red ended three-quarters of the way down each leg, turning quickly to a bright white. It’s stomach caved in by its rear legs, and rounded off to complete the main body. A thick, poofed tail went from a thin column to a wide cylinder. It ended in a pointed white tuft.
The beast moved forwards, lowering its head in the process. It turned its body clockwise around me. I was surrounded, no way to escape unless if I could manage to outrun the monster that bore its teeth, and began to lie on its stomach. I was trapped again. Except this time, I was able to see what would happen to me.
The large red head moved forwards, nudging me against its tail. My body fell over to the blanket like pillow of its tail. The thick amber eyes peered into my own. Eyes locked. The head became larger, mouth opening, exposing twin rows of pointed teeth and a thick red tongue. A soft exhale warmed me once again. Death inched closer to me, the teeth close enough to close around my lower half.
The tongue moved gently over my body. The sticky goo came off with its tender licks. My mind could only race in bewilderment as a few thoughts ran by. “Why is this thing licking me? It must be tasting me. It wants to eat me. But not after toying with me, I mustn’t allow this… thing to enjoy playing with me.” Another soft lick pulled at the feathers on my body. I pushed back against the things tail in a futile attempt to get away from it. While I backed away, moving the tail with me, a soft push from the beast only brought me closer to it than I was before I even started. The beast’s head moved away, licking its furry lips.
She let out a soft roll of her tongue. She spoke softly, yet reassuringly to the small creature within her control. “Young one, stop trying to get away. There are worse things out there then myself.” She gave a soft smile. Trying to coo the young avian into some level of comfort. “You act as if I would be eating you. Though I can easily do that as well, lucky for you I am not. However intended on hunting today, let’s hope your village can learn to make a nest in their own habitat for a change. Now then.” She paused, looking around her. The forest was clear as before she arrived. She spoke like a mother to a child after clearing some of the goo from her tongue. “It would be a faster journey to your village, and easier for me to keep my stomach at bay for a shift in the suns position, as opposed to walking with you. But you are going to have to trust me on this one. Get in my mouth and I will carry you to your village. Then talk to your village about the few favors I owe them.” She gave a soft push forwards. “ Names Marianna by the way.” Her mouth moved close to the small avian, slowly opening, as if she knew the fear in the small being she was moving close to. Her tail flicked forwards, pushing the avian into her open maw, she slowly closed it so that the avian wouldn’t be able to drop out. Her tongue formed a salivating wall that would prevent the avian from being ingested by her.
My body froze, feet wet in a distasteful scented liquid. I didn’t trust her, despite her efforts to be reassuring, being in her mouth must have been the form of torture she enjoyed with her food. My voice, high pitched as it was still young, and partially due to what I was. “So, what am I exactly?” My body shifted under the strong shaking motions of the beast’s strides. “And, what are you?”
Her tongue moved oddly, just miffing out. “You’re a hawk, and I am a fox. Please save your.” She stopped, and tipped her head down. The liquid pool in her mouth dripped like a waterfall through her teeth. “It is hard to talk this way. I will discuss it later with you.” She tipped her head back up and continued running away from the sun.

(part 2 is up as well.)

spirits breath
05-27-2010, 07:07 PM
Oh, and by taking suggestions on title, I mean like the story itself title. not the chapter. Sorry for any confusion

Livlaffluv
05-27-2010, 09:38 PM
I enjoyed it! It's very interesting... Can't think of a title but I will be working on it ;)