PDA

View Full Version : Questing Phoenix Down

England
06-07-2013, 08:47 PM
http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h452/SacheverellWhitby/rpa/phoenix_down/character-title.png

Hello! Welcome to my character thread. Herein you will find characters that I've created in the order that they were made regardless of anything else, each in their own individual post. As with other character threads that I looked at before making this one [i.e. not an original idea on my part], I'll go into some details on my thought processes and inspirations.

Table of Contents
* Betsy Smith (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44871&p=1498421&viewfull=1#post1498421)
* Avery Cannock-Massey (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44871&p=1498444&viewfull=1#post1498444)
* Kit (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44871&p=1498528&viewfull=1#post1498528)
* Dr. Ethan Thorne (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44871&p=1498610&viewfull=1#post1498610)
* Gareth Daubney (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44871&p=1498753&viewfull=1#post1498753)
* Aelius (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44871&p=1498828&viewfull=1#post1498828)
* England (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44871&p=1521575&viewfull=1#post1521575)
* Carey Byrne
* Derek Daniels

England
06-07-2013, 09:14 PM
http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h452/SacheverellWhitby/rpa/phoenix_down/character-betsy_smith.png

General Info:
* Roleplay - A New Evil [OOC (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44069) / No IC]
* Genre - Parody/Fan Fiction [Harry Potter & Percy Jackson Cross-Over]
* Role Archetype - Healer / White Mage

Inspiration: As I knew nothing whatsoever about the Percy Jackson books, I took all 100% of my inspiration from the Harry Potter books but not any of the movies. This created the necessity for Betsy being a "pureblood" witch so that she could be just as oblivious as I am when it comes to Percy Jackson stuff.

Visually, I just wanted her to look and dress like how witches and wizards did in the books. The Harry Potter movies get this wrong a lot, especially when we see pureblooded wizards wearing clothing in the movies that bleeds way too far into what could be considered muggle fashion. I get it totally that they probably thought it would look silly or at worst, not cool, to have them all running around in robes. However the few characters that do wear robes all the time in the movie, like Professors Dumbledore and McGonagall, due manage to have their moments of coolness.

When it came to her background, my only thought was that even in the post nineteen years later period of the epilogue that there would still be wizarding families that had been negatively impacted in a direct manner by the actions of You-Know-Who and Death Eaters. As a Hufflepuff, she is someone who has always had to work hard to get ahead and that willingness to persevere through her hardships while trying to keep a positive outlook is what sorted her into this house.

First Name: Betsy
Last Name: Smith
Nickname (if any): n/a

Heritage: Pureblood... although not without the occasional squib, which the Smith family as a whole will not discuss

Nationality: English

Place of Birth: Woodsford [hamlet located in south-west Dorset, England]

Age/Date of Birth: 17 February 18th

Appearance:

- Eyes: Blue, roundish

- Hair: Blonde, long and unnaturally straight with frontal fringe

- Height: 5'1" / 155cm

- General Appearance:

- Dressing Style: She wears a short robe with wing-like sleeves that are pink with a floral pattern and white lace around the wrists, a large white bow at her neck, white knee-length dragon-hide boots, and a pink pointed hat. [Note: Her clothing should be very normal by wizarding standards. Non-wizards are free to gawk all they want.]

Personality: Betsy is friendly and outgoing. She is the sort of witch that will be friends with anyone regardless of their blood status but is pure-blooded enough to know that you just don't take muggle bloods home to meet your parents. She has an on-again, off-again [that is currently off] dating relationship with a sixth year half-blooded Ravenclaw named Michael Alfredson that shares her ambitions of becoming a healer, but there is little in common between them beyond that. She knows absolutely nothing about muggles and trying to talk to her about muggle things will earn you either a black stare or a response of the level of "What's so great about that?" It is impossible to convince her of the virtues of non-magical life because in her mind, whatever little contraptions they have are just crutches for not having magic. She becomes rather grim and serious when someone gets injured around her, especially if it is something that is well beyond her currently limited abilities to deal with or someone that she cares about greatly. She carries a wand with her of hawthorn wood with a unicorn hair core that is especially suited towards healing magic.

- General Character Traits: Outgoing, Friendly, Serious

Likes/Dislikes:
Dislikes: You-Know-Who, Death Eaters, Dark Arts

Strengths/Weaknesses:
Strengths: Defensive Charms, Basic First Aid, Healing/Curative Potions, Using Medicinal Herbs, Recovery Transfiguration
Weaknesses: Offensive/Attack Charms, Anything Related to Muggles
Current Classes: Charms, Defense Against the Dark Arts, Herbology, Potions and Transfiguration

History:

Parents/Siblings:
- Father: John Smith; Retired Quidditch Player
John Smith is a Hogwarts alumni that was sorted into Hufflepuff during his school years. He was an unremarkable student academically that spent more time on the Quidditch pitch than he did with his studies and left Hogwarts after completing the O.W.L. exams at the end of his fifth year when he was recruited by the Falmouth Falcons. After playing for the team for three years, he transferred to Puddlemere United which he remained with for the remainder of his career. John retired from the game unexpectedly at the end of the Second Wizarding War.

- Mother: Rene Smith; Ministry of Magic Secretary
Rene Smith is a Hogwarts alumni that was sorted into Hufflepuff during her school years. She was a charismatic witch that made many numerous friends, even outside of the house she was sorted into. It didn't take her long to work her was into the Minister of Magic's support staff, working as one of the secretaries that answered directly to the Minister and coordinated his meetings with the various department heads as well as foreign dignitaries. Because of her position, she was targeted directly by You-Know-Who during the Second Wizarding War and was put under the Imperius Curse when she would not cooperate willingly. After it was lifted, she went on an indefinite leave of absence and has not been seen by anyone due to her refusal to leave the family home.

- Older Brother: Andrew Smith
Andrew Smith is the family oddball due to being the lone Gryffindor in what has otherwise been generations full of Hufflepuffs on both sides of the family. He graduated at the end of this last school year and was accepted into the auror training program. [Logically he would be known by other Hogwarts characters, especially the Gryffindor.] During his third year, he picked up Muggle Studies and Care of Magical Creatures as his elective classes. Upon reaching his sixth year, his course load consisted of Charms, Defense Against the Dark Arts, Herbology, Muggle Studies, Potions and Transfiguration. He was a gifted student such that Betsy often found herself being compared to him, especially in all the subjects that she continued into the N.E.W.T. level.

Brief History of School Experience: Betsy was always a serious student that constantly found herself having to work harder than her elder sibling just to get the same grades. While he was always willing to tutor her in subjects that she struggled with, she always felt like he was showing off a little as to what he could do that she could not.

During her third year, she elected to take Arithmancy and Divination as her elective classes. She quickly found that she only like Arithmancy to the extent of using it to determine someone's character, heart and social numbers to see if they would be a good match to her own. Divination just felt like a lot of guessing. Betsy was happy to drop them both after completing her O.W.L.s along with Astronomy and History of Magic.

The one time that Betsy felt that her older and smarter brother was an advantage for her was when she entered her sixth year as he helped her with those nonverbal spells such that she wasn't whispering incantations under or breath when she thought the professors were not looking by the end of her second week. Having dropped all the classes she hated, Betsy's current class load consists of Charms, Defense Against the Dark Arts, Herbology, Potions and Transfiguration. She completed and passed the Appartion class during the second half of her sixth year. Although she can legally apparate, she has no experience doing it under any amount of pressure with someone or something trying to attack her thus will not be teleporting about to dodge attacks.

She is currently in the summer between her sixth and seventh year.

Any Other Information: Other characters wouldn't know this but Betsy's mother had a complete mental breakdown [initially] and later went completely insane due to not being able to deal with the things she was forced to do while under the effects of the Imperius Curse. This has become a family secret as few people outside of the immediate family have been welcome to pay house calls on the pretense that Mrs. Smith is still recovering. Both Betsy and her brother, Andrew, blame their father to some degree for failing to notice what was going on with his wife due to always being away some place due to his career as a professional Quidditch player. It also became a source of motivation for the two Smith children in terms of their career choices with Andrew wanting to protect innocent people as an auror while Betsy desire to become a healer to aide those that have been injured through magical abuses.

I've read all the rules -> KHMH

England
06-07-2013, 09:38 PM
http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h452/SacheverellWhitby/rpa/phoenix_down/character-avery_cannockmassey.png

General Info:
* Roleplay - A New Evil [OOC (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44069) / No IC]
* Genre - Parody/Fan Fiction [Harry Potter & Percy Jackson Cross-Over]
* Role Archetype - Duelist

Inspiration: I should probably begin by saying that I don't normally create Gryffindor characters due to the existence of Godric Gryffindor's Sword. For the benefit of anyone reading this who has not read Harry Potter or even seen the movies, the sword in question may as well have "Excalibur" written on it as that is effectively what it is as both Gryffindor's sword and Excalibur are magically powerful weapons such that the person wielding may as well be invincible. After all, a twelve-year-old Harry Potter was able to defeat Salazar Slytherin's basilisk that existed for centuries just by wielding Gryffindor's sword despite having no formal training with swords of any kind.

Like with Betsy, this character was made a pureblood for the simple fact I'm not familiar with the other book series. However unlike the other character I made for this roleplay, Avery has taken muggle studies and therefore has far more confidence in his abilities when it comes to muggle clothing attire but gets it all wrong. See Avery has bought into all of the stereotypes concerning different cultures. He really does think that the muggle English dress like it's the 1800s and would have showed up dressed like how he things the American characters will be dressed [in cowboy Western clothing with big hats and chaps] except that they all have funny accents over there in America so will know he's not one of them due to his lack of an accent. Oh that's another thing, I never type accents because even if my character would have one in relation to every other character, my character still sounds 100% normal with no accent to him/herself.

First Name: Avery
Last Name: Cannock-Massey
Nickname (if any):

Heritage: Pureblooded

Nationality: English

Place of Birth: Cannock Chase, England

Age/Date of Birth: 17 April 6th

Appearance:
- Eyes: Green
- Hair: Black
- Height: 5'11" / 180cm

- General Appearance: Avery has a very pale complexion that is marred by a large splotchy scar along the right side of his face starting from the temple area that goes down the side of his face to his neck, which was the result of being hit by dark magic. He always wears a cravat or stock tie, either choice is due to the fact that they will cover up a large part of his neck [without looking silly like a ruff] thus will hide scars to some extent. However the few times he was seen without gloves on, more of the same splotchy scarring was seen covering a large portion of the backside of his right hand. [The other Gryffindor boys of his year along with most of the professors would know the full extent of Avery scars that they also cover his entire right arm and along the right side of his torso.] It is common knowledge at school that his current left-handedness was entirely out of necessity as he had been right-handed and unscarred up until his arrival at school from his second year onward.

- Dressing Style: Although Avery doesn't look all that peculiar to other wizards, he hasn't completely grasped the idea that his choice of clothing to "blend in with the muggles" is likely to look peculiar to muggles only because they were appropriate during the 1800s. He wears a dark blue tailcoat with a cream-colored waistcoat underneath it, white dress shirt, white cravat, cream-colored ankle-length breeches, and dark blue boots. It is rare that he is not wearing gloves of one sort or another. He carries a wand with him of rowan wood with a dragonheart string core.

Personality: Avery has a reputation for being flighty when it comes to recreational activities. He will pursue whatever fun thing it is that currently interests him with almost single-minded determination during his free time until he finds something else that is much more exciting and usually more dangerous. About the only thing he does take as 100% serious business always are his family, education and dueling. He sometimes thinks that some of the professors are a little hard on him as he is not inherently gifted in any of his subjects and often found himself having to work a bit harder to keep up during his sixth year due to his own refusal to drop most of his classes on the basis that they might be useful for him. He will suck up his pride and ask for help when he needs it. He feels some guilt over the death of his younger squib brother and can be a bit hard on himself on the basis that there had to have been something he could have done. He cannot see thestrals despite having technically witnessed a death due to his own unwillingness to come to terms with it.

- General Character Traits: Fickle, Even-Tempered, A Bit Stubborn

Likes/Dislikes:

Strengths/Weaknesses:
Strengths: Dueling
Weaknesses: He's easily caught up in details; "can't always see the forest through the trees"
Current Classes: Ancient Runes, Arithmancy, Astronomy, Charms, Defense Against the Dark Arts, Herbology, History of Magic, Potions and Transfiguration

History: Although Avery's parents were both sorted Gryffindor during their school years, they spent little time together outside of the classroom. It was during the short period that his father worked in the Ministry of Magic's Committee for the Disposal of Dangerous Creatures as a dragon killer that his parents became properly acquainted and began to strike up a serious relationship. By the time that Avery was born, his father had already transferred to the Magical Law Enforcement Squad where he continues to work in the Hit Wizard division. His mother has never worked a day in her life and while her family was not exceptionally wealthy, there was enough of an inheritance for her that she never saw money as issue. Due to the Masseys becoming extinct along the male line as a direct result of Death Eaters, she was insistent about hyphenating the children's surnames as a means of keeping the Massey name around longer.

During the summer between Avery's first and second year of school at Hogwarts, his younger brother Hartley's birthday came and went without the arrival of an owl delivering an acceptance letter from Hogwarts. A week afterwards, his paternal grandparents decided to clean up the family tree by sending a package addressed to Hartley that exploded and killed him upon it being opened. Avery, who had been sitting at the table to the left of Hartley, got hit by the explosive spell but was far enough away that he was not killed by it. His right eye had been shielded by his right hand, which he had been resting his head against while looking completely bored up until the moment of the explosion. His legs had been shielded by the table such that he suffered easily mendable broken legs, but the damage to his right hand forced him to be retrained to learn to write and cast with his other hand as the alternative was accepting that he'd never have the coordination to perform NEWT-level charms and transfiguration with any amount of finesse. His parents suffered only minor injuries due to being able to shield themselves with magic. Raylene and Dederick had both been in the nursery thus were not even present. Avery's homelife has otherwise been unremarkable outside of this single incident.

Parents/Siblings:
- Father: Wilfred Cannock; Hit Wizard
- Mother: Lilibeth Cannock (née Massey)
- Brother: Hartley Cannock-Massey; Deceased
- Sister: Raylene Cannock-Massey; Gryffindor; will enter 3rd year in the fall.
- Brother: Dederick Cannock-Massey; will enter 1st year in the fall.
- Brother: Barrett Cannock-Massey; currently 4-years of age.

Brief History of School Experience: Avery was an unremarkable student during his first year of Hogwarts and initially seemed like someone who was content to coast by with just barely passing grades. This changed with his second year, when he arrived to school still recovering from an injury that occurred during the summer, as he became very serious about his education and didn't take it for granted as he did the prior year. During his third year, he picked up arithmancy and ancient runes as elective classes as he felt that they were more serious than a lot of the other stuff along with muggle studies, which has been the only source of everything he knows about the non-magical world.

During his fourth year, he tried out for his house's Quidditch team as a means of trying to impress the attractive witches in his own year that he was starting to notice. He was initially overjoyed at being offered one of the chaser positions but lost all interest in the playing the sport when the dueling club was reinstated around this time. Avery got qualifying OWLs in all his classes at the end of his fifth year. Although he initially intended to continue all of them, he dropped Muggle Studies due to his Head of House's insistence that his career goals were such that he really had learned more than he would ever need to know when it came to muggles.

Any other information: One of the things that made initially hesitant with Gryffindors is that they can potentially pull the Gryffindor sword out of a hat then use it to kill off some big bad and horrible thing like a giant basilisk, an angry horcrux or Lord V's snake familiar. I'm sure it could be put to good use slaying other horrible and evil things even if those are the only cannon examples of what it can do. If it is actually needed at some point, I'm going to leave it entirely up to KHMH to make it show up.

England
06-07-2013, 11:27 PM
http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h452/SacheverellWhitby/rpa/phoenix_down/character-kit.png

General Info:
* Roleplay - For Queen & Country - Royal Secret Division Saga [No OOC / IC (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44297)]
* Genre - Steampunk, 1x1
* Role Archetype - Psychic

Inspiration: Kit was created specifically for a 1x1 roleplay thus does not actually have a character sheet as I did not actually make one for him before we started the roleplay. It's okay as the other character does not have one either. I do, however, have some inspirations for this character and will put some effort into writing out abilities for him just to keep him from being overpowered.

His appearance came from the gallery section of the web comic Lackadaisy, where all the characters are cats. There are human equivalent sketches and paintings for some of the characters and Rocky's human sketches [minus the ones where he has a scar on his forehead] are pretty much how I imagine Kit to look.

One of my initial inspirations came from the pen and paper RPG Shadowrun. In that game, mages that have been cybernetically modified will loose some of their ability to perform magic. I thought that this would apply very well to Kit in that while the steampunk technology of this world could be used to enhance and improve some of Kit's psychic powers, it would always come at the price of loosing other psychic powers. Due to being only a senior cadet and not a full agent, he remains an unaltered psychic as it makes no sense for him to start specializing before he really has a grasp of what he should specialize in.

I would imagine that all psychics, regardless of if they were tweaked with steampunk technology or not, did not come from upper class or wealthy backgrounds. Even if their powers were active to a degree when they were recruited, they did essentially agree to let their minds be fiddled with even if only to further awaken latent powers. Kit's psychic powers come from the "Psionic Power List" on the Hypertext d20 SRD website, which is why I'm just listing them out and not providing details as to what they do. I'm only including powers which have actually been used in roleplay but will make a comment here that he is built to be a character that provides backup support to someone else that runs into combat and does the evil slaying stuff. He currently lacks all offensive psionics other than things like when he used False Sensory Input to run through an enemy's mind dropping mental illusions of twisted and horrible things that were crawling towards said enemy, which do not do any actual damage and could potentially be dismissed as being not real by a sensible person.

Much like Pip from Great Expectations, people don't really call him by his actual name nor does he introduce himself by it unless it is actually necessary. It isn't because of any childhood difficulty with pronouncing words, Kit just doesn't like his name.

Full Name: Christopher Trask
Nickname: Kit

Appearance:

Kit wouldn't have the forehead scar shown in the bottom-right pictures.
http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h452/SacheverellWhitby/rpa/phoenix_down/lackadaisy-rocky.jpg

Powers/Abilities:
* Psion/Wilder: Missive
* Telepathy: Read Thoughts, False Sensory Input
* Other: Teleportation (Limited)

Personality: Kit has grown to prefer using telepathy to project his thoughts into others over actual speech. He sometimes stares off into space when having long private conversations with other telepaths.

Bio: Kit's parents run a restaurant. Although he eats there almost every morning for breakfast, he thinks that the bacon is always greasy and ht eggs overcooked. He lets his food sit around such that he typically ends up only consuming cold toast. Fortunately, his morning tea is always hot. He spent a week in France, where the food is much better, years ago before entering the academy. As his family does not have a lot of money, he would have got there by taking a steam-powered ferry across the channel.

England
06-08-2013, 12:32 AM
http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h452/SacheverellWhitby/rpa/phoenix_down/character-dr_ethan_thorne.png

General Info:
* Roleplay - Interstellar Cruise Ship Scorpio - Earthbound [OOC (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39259) / IC (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39559)]
* Genre - Science Fiction
* Role Archetype - Cyborg Scientist

Inspiration: I originally thought of the character Lucas North (http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h452/SacheverellWhitby/rpa/phoenix_down/spooks-lucas_north.jpg) [played by Richard Armitage] from the television show spooks when I initially began to think up this character, only to realize after I got home and turned on my computer that he was just far too neat and tidy in appearance to represent Dr. Thorne. This character is meant to be someone who really is only going to brush his hair if he has to go to a scientific conference, formal dinner engagement or anywhere that he might encounter potential financial donors for his scientific research. The rest of the time, he doesn't consider personal grooming to be important. While I initially planned to make the character a bit older than he currently is, I made him younger and tweaked the written description to make him look as removed as I could get from my initial inspiration.

I didn't write out his cybernetics in any great detail as the bulk of it would be mechanical limbs, artificial organs and synthetic skin. No, he doesn't have wired reflexes nor wolverine claws. I already had in my mind from the beginning that this would be a cyborg with no combat enhancements as the character himself wouldn't consider such things to be important. Instead the one special thing is that he has an internal microcomputer with no WiFi and hidden data connection ports that he can access any time he wants as that is something that the character himself would deem important.

Considering this character is entering a roleplay where their are spies and covert operations practically everywhere [my opinion], I thought it might be fun to make a character that could be the target of what would be corporate espionage. Some people might be interested in stealing his research while others might be interested in trying to vivisect the scientist himself. There's also the question of what's on the hard drive of the computer inside him.

I was also rewatching the first season of BBC Sherlock while making this character, and there was something in the third episode that inspired me with this character in that Sherlock Holmes didn't know that the Earth goes around the Sun because he doesn't like to fill his head with trivial things. While it didn't get specifically stated outright in the character sheet, Dr. Thorne is very much the same way as in the post where he first shows up, he's probably the only person in the room not interested in the very super special alien present as that is not important to him. It is to the extent that he mistakes her for being some sort of princess and turns his attention towards the more interesting robot wearing a tuxedo that was accompanying her.

[b]Player Name: England

Character Name: Dr. Ethan Thorne

Deck/Cabin Assignment: TBD - Silver or Blue preferred. His employer may be paying for him being here, but they're not going to pay for Luxury. He'd make a stink if they tried to put him in the Economy section as there wouldn't be room for all his luggage.

Description: Ethan is an 31-year old cybernetically modified human of Earth American decent but speaks with that same exact accent as all other Londinians. He has a plain appearance with thin lips, a straight nose, brown hair and dark eyes. He always to look goofy if he tries to smile, which is fortunately rare. Typical attire involves a plain long sleeve shirt, corduroy pants, canvas loafers, and mostly looking like he just rolled out of bed. He is capable of looking presentable if the occasion requires it, such as when attending formal dining, but still never looks anything other than ordinary.

The bulk of his cybernic "enhancements" only serve as a life support system to keep him alive, provide no enhancements to any physical attribute and are concealed by artificial skin. He does, however, have a built in microcomputer [not in his skull, kktks] with data access ports concealed within the last joint on the fingers of his left hand. Ethan can access and use his internal computer directly thus does not require the use of these ports for anything other than transferring information in or out as there is no wireless functions, which is specifically to make him difficult to hack into. Hacking the doctor requires first subduing without killing him then using a data port to break through his computer's firewall and other anti-hacking software. He is no less vulnerable to physical attacks as any unmodified human would be as computers don't take well to being punched or shot at either.

Profession: Holographic Engineer & Research Specialist -- He is currently employed by the Royal Shakespearian University's Department of Robotics Engineering thus spends most of his time either working on advancing in the field of holographic robots, appealing for grants to fund his research or going to conferences with other experts.

Bio: Ethan grew up in Stratford-Bloomsbury located in Londinium's northern hemisphere and is everything that the city London on Earth is perceived to be complete with a dense population, cobblestone streets, and perpetually overcast skies, frequent rain and a chill fog that rolls in during the early hours of the evening.

His life has been largely uneventful to the extent of not worth mentioning except for a single incident involving a robot that was being designed as a potential replacement for humans in hostage negotiation situations that lacked certain safeguards. An error in it's AI program caused said robot to perceive its designer as a prisoner with his colleagues as captors thus went on a killing rampage through the robotics department. It was in the process of bludgeoning Ethan with his own arms, after having ripped them off his body, when it was found and neutralized.

More recently, his laboratory at the university was broken into thus prompting his employer to send him away for a while during the investigation by scheduling him to attend at a robotics conference on Earth. He only agreed to go because all of his computers, minus the one that had been hacked into, was sent along with him thus allowing him to continue his work with minimal disturbances. As a final note, he has been a frequent target of attack from both anti-robot and fundamental religious groups, both of which feel that his efforts to create artificial intelligence that would be governed by moral principles and not strict coding laws would only lead to robots gaining a greater self-awareness and having the same liberties and freedoms as living beings. He's also been the target of corporate espionage, both in regards to his own work and his own cybernetic life support system.

England
06-08-2013, 02:13 AM
http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h452/SacheverellWhitby/rpa/phoenix_down/character-gareth_daubney.png

General Info:
* Roleplay - The Revival [OOC (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44295) / IC (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44930)]
* Genre - Regency England, Fantasy
* Role Archetype - Priest

Inspiration: Whatever I do know of England's regency period comes almost exclusively from reading Jane Austen's books, which is probably sad on my part. It was only natural that this would also become my main source of inspiration for this character such that I initially turned to her books, where the clergymen were perhaps men first and clergy second. They are not meant to be examples of saintly individuals and models of good behavior, which made me more comfortable with making this character in the first place as roleplaying a saintly character of perfect good behavior is just going to be boring for everyone.

Gareth's situation initially seems to mirror that of Edmund Bertram in Mansfield Park, with him being the younger of two sons and an elder brother who would be nobody's first pick at inheriting their father's fortune. At least things were never so horrid for my character that their father had to sell the living of the local parish to pay off the elder's excessive debts.... Still the elder is meant to be scandalous enough that I mentioned him by name [Landon] in the character sheet and just mentioning it will be a source of embarrassment for Gareth or thoughts of "oh, what has he gotten himself into this time." I've entertained the idea that the elder brother has been unsuccessful in securing a suitable wife for himself to the extent that he is not even engaged, which would put further pressure on Gareth to not marry below his social level thus creating a source of anxiety for him.

I originally had two appearance images for Gareth, both based on Mr. Elton [played by Blake Ritson] from Emma. However since Gareth only wears clergy vestments (http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h452/SacheverellWhitby/rpa/phoenix_down/emma-mr_elton2.jpg) when doing parish business thus would rarely be seen wearing it during the roleplay, I left out that image from the character sheet for the sake of space.

The main appeal of creating this sort of character is that he could go just about anywhere the GM needs him to be without it being strange or the need for some excuse to justify it. He would receive invitations to dinner parties held by London's social elite and the next day could be in the company of beggars living on the streets in one of the more seedy areas.

Name: Gareth Daubney

Appearance:
http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h452/SacheverellWhitby/rpa/phoenix_down/emma-mr_elton1.jpg

History: Although his father is a lord, Gareth is the younger of two sons with his elder brother [Landon] being a dandy whose only occupational goal seems to be to wait for his parents to die so that he could inherits lots of money to squander on clothing and dinner parties. It is an attitude that causes most people that know the two Daubney brothers, including those that really enjoy dinner parties themselves, to think that things would have been significantly better had their birth order been different. Perhaps stereotypical of sensible young men that find themselves in a position of having a gentrified upbringing yet neither the seemingly limitless wealth nor title to go with it, Gareth entered the priesthood. It was a calling that he didn't actually feel initially but has grown into. He finds himself a certain amount of societal pressure, primarily from his parents, to not marry a woman that is too low in social status as if it would somehow slander the good Daubney name. He is only slightly acquainted with Wallace Merritt due to having attending a few dinner parties when social obligations were such that he could not actually decline the invitation. Gareth does not actually oppose dinner parties and enjoys ones where the company of young women of acceptable social status can be found.

Personality: Gareth's interest in magic is purely academic. He remains skeptical of its existence and even if given sufficient proof that its existence could not be disputed, he would question the propriety of the clergy tossing spells about. He'd be very tempted to destroy any actual magic books he came into contact with, which is a strong motivation for not having excessive contact with any of the so called magicians. The story of the statue of the Virgin in the churchyard sounded more like a miracle of a divine nature than some deliberate act, but that is his opinion and he's going to stick with it. Despite the demand for proof that he places upon magic, he accepts his own faith and religion with no such requirements. He tries to do what he feels is right but at the same time, he caves into family pressure more than he'd like to admit.

Skills:
* High class social skills
* Theology/Religious Education
* Theoretical Knowledge of Magic

Dream/Goal: Gareth seeks the truth in regards to magic but beyond that, he'd like to find a good woman to settle down with and lead a relatively normal life.

England
06-08-2013, 03:49 AM
http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h452/SacheverellWhitby/rpa/phoenix_down/character-aelius.png

General Info:
* Roleplay - Final Fantasy X [OOC (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44613) / IC (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44975)]
* Genre - Parody/Fan Fiction [Final Fantasy]
* Role Archetype - Warrior / Time Mage

Inspiration: I had originally wrote Aelius as a black mage, using Lulu's sphere grid path with the intentions that he'd go into Yuna's later to make him black mage / white mage. This version of Aelius had him with Lulu's overdrive Fury and even her use of dolls as weapons that would fall the to ground and mimic movements while casting spells. Lulu was a source of inspiration for his personality in the sense that I really didn't want him to have her stoic exterior, but he is otherwise just as serious business as she is when it comes to being a guardian.

At this point I went on the Final Fantasy wiki and did a search for the black mage job as the only ones I knew off hand were Vivi Ornitier and Lulu, which is how I found Noel Kreiss and his downloadable alternate black mage costume. As for why did this, nobody is going to look like a Final Fantasy character with their goofy outfits with trousers that have legs of different lengths and strange color combinations than other Final Fantasy characters.

That became my next source of inspiration and caused me to not channel Lulu to the extent that I settled on making this character male. Knowing nothing of the games he appears in [as I don't own either system it was released on], I imagined a scenario involving a guardian who twice traveled with summoners only to have them give up on their pilgrimage quests upon reaching the Calm Lands thus giving him a motivation to head to Mt. Gagazet by himself. I liked the idea of him meeting this roleplay's summoner and not becoming her guardian right away after their first meeting due to her lack of experience. [As I suspected when I made Aelius, it was confirmed in the OOC that she doesn't even have her first aeon yet!]

Although the black mage version of Aelius was accepted for the roleplay, there really was getting to be too many black mages as it seemed like everyone who wasn't a black mage as their primary class, was a black mage as their subclass... thus I changed him but only so much as his appearance, weapons and skills. Both his personality and background remained untouched [other than removing references to black mage.]

As things would turn out, using Tidus [Warrior / Time Mage] for his combat model would work out a lot better as abilities like Provoke fit Aelius's personality far more so than having a ton of black magic spells. Fortunately, Noel Kreiss had another alternate costume that looked very warrior appropriate even if it didn't really say Time Mage subjob all that much, but Tidus's clothing doesn't exactly say this guy has a Time Mage subjob and that's exactly what he has.

It's been a long time since I played FF10, so I looked up sphere grid leveling guides at this point to get a general idea as to where Tidus would be at on his sphere grid by the time he reached the Calm Lands and used this as my basis for which skills, spells and special abilities that Aelius should have. Considering that Aelius started out at Luca, traveled to Baesaid then from there to the Calm Lands, then back to Luca with one summoner then from Luca to the Calm Lands with a second summoner, and finally from the Calm Lands to Mt. Gagazet by himself, Aelius was actually greatly under leveled in his original black mage version and would never have survived coming or going to Mt. Gagazet solo. Yes, it means he's a much higher level character than the summoner in this roleplay, but it's always been rather grating for me when I encounter characters that are supposed to be very experienced based on the story plot but essentially start out at level 1. [example: Auron]

Name: Aelius
Race: Human
Looks:
http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h452/SacheverellWhitby/rpa/phoenix_down/noel_kreiss-black_mage.png

Weapon(s):
Aelius's actual weapons all consist of a doll that is used as a focus for his magical attacks as it will fall to the ground and mimic his exact motions while he is casting spells. If he actually attacks an enemy physically, he will just hold onto his doll with one hand and slap the enemy with the back of his other hand, which is also how he would perform any counter-attacks [which is also assuming he ever goes there on the sphere grid.] The sword-looking thing that hangs limply at his waist most of the time is used entirely as a shield for blocking as the edges are not actually sharp enough to cut anything.
http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h452/SacheverellWhitby/rpa/phoenix_down/doll-cait_sith.png

Special Abilities:
* Black Magic: Fire, Thunder, Blizzard, Water, Fira, Thundara, Blizzara, Watera
* Special: Focus, Reflex
* Overdrive: Fury
* Sphere Grid Route: Aelius initially follows Lulu's path in the sphere grid. Once it is completed, he'll go straight for the spells Ultima, Osmose and Drain in no particular order, then he'll go into Yuna's to increase his magic abilities and pick up healing spells.

Birthplace: Luca
Starting Location: Mt. Gagazet

Bio: Aelius is very proud of the fact that several of his ancestors were guardians that traveled with high summoners that brought about the calm. He's smart enough to figure out that summoners and their guardians must sacrifice their lives to defeat sin. Although he grew up in a large city with numerous distractions, he spent most of his time learning black magic in preparation for the day when Sin would return once again with the desire of becoming a powerful guardian to a summoner.

He was excited when the summoner Livius asked him to travel as his sole guardian even though Aelius was only sixteen at the time. Livius had high summoners in his own ancestry thus was also all too aware that completing the pilgrimage journey meant sacrificing one's life for the greater good. The pair attracted a lot of attention when they left Luca due to their ancestry in addition to the fact that they shared the city as their birthplace and home. They got as far as the Calm Lands when Livius told Aelius that he wasn't nearly as self-sacrificing as he originally thought and wanted to live to experience the calm, even thought it meant abandoning everything they worked for. Aelius returned home to Luca feeling bitter and has not spoken to Livius ever since, only referring to him as "that coward" when forced to speak of him. He has spent much of his time since becoming a stronger black mage in preparation for when sin would return once again as there would be new summoners in need of guardians.

More recently, he was invited to travel with the summoner Fabina, who was exceptionally talented and began the pilgrimage even before sin showed up again. However after reaching the Calm Lands, she felt a certain unease about the pilgrimage that caused her to abandon it. Aelius didn't feel the same resentment this time, which may have been due to the fact this summoner had been a young girl of fourteen that often paused here and there during their travels to help various people as if no task was too insignificant. Rather than return home to Luca, he decided to press onward towards Mt. Gagazet by himself even though this was typically the end stage of a summoner's pilgrimage and not the beginning. His hope was that within the harsh climate of the Ronso, he would meet at least one summoner with enough determination to actually complete their pilgrimage quest and not give up so easily.

Personality: Aelius takes his job as a guardian very seriously and can be more than a little overprotective when it comes to the summoner he is traveling with. He tries to keep a happy exterior but really does not tolerate foolishness and tends to be very straight forward with people. He is pragmatic and while devoted towards the teachings of Yevon, he views the Al Bhed more as misguided and confused than the more common view points that they're heretics. He has a very high expectation level and can be demanding at times, insisting that everyone press onward for another hour or two before making a camp somewhere.

Although he is willing to give up his own life for both his summoner and Spira as a whole, he would be completely horrified and even devastated to learn the true fate really lies at the end of a summoner's journey. He remains just as blissfully unaware as the average person and has no idea that the summoner who completes the pilgrimage must chose a guardian to become the final aeon and that said guardian will eventually become the next sin as a direct result. Aelius is not someone who would willingly sacrifice himself for a temporary calm if it would also mean that he would become sin in the future and try to bring about Spira's destruction.

Name: Aelius
Race: Human
Looks:
http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h452/SacheverellWhitby/rpa/phoenix_down/noel_kreiss-battle_attire.png

Weapon(s): He wields two swords with the one wielded with his right hand looking like two stylized red flames and the left has a more simple looking blade.

Special Abilities:
* Skills: Delay Attack, Delay Buster, Quick Hit
* White Magic: Haste, Hastega, Slow, Slowga
* Black Magic ---
* Special: Cheer, Flee, Provoke
* Overdrive: Swordplay

Birthplace: Luca
Starting Location: Mt. Gagazet

Bio: Aelius is very proud of the fact that several of his ancestors were guardians that traveled with high summoners that brought about the calm. He's smart enough to figure out that summoners and their guardians must sacrifice their lives to defeat sin. Although he grew up in a large city with numerous distractions, he spent most of his time in preparation for the day when Sin would return once again with the desire of becoming a powerful guardian to a summoner.

He was excited when the summoner Livius asked him to travel as his sole guardian even though Aelius was only sixteen at the time. Livius had high summoners in his own ancestry thus was also all too aware that completing the pilgrimage journey meant sacrificing one's life for the greater good. The pair attracted a lot of attention when they left Luca due to their ancestry in addition to the fact that they shared the city as their birthplace and home. They got as far as the Calm Lands when Livius told Aelius that he wasn't nearly as self-sacrificing as he originally thought and wanted to live to experience the calm, even thought it meant abandoning everything they worked for. Aelius returned home to Luca feeling bitter and has not spoken to Livius ever since, only referring to him as "that coward" when forced to speak of him. He has spent much of his time since becoming a stronger in preparation for when sin would return once again as there would be new summoners in need of guardians.

More recently, he was invited to travel with the summoner Fabina, who was exceptionally talented and began the pilgrimage even before sin showed up again. However after reaching the Calm Lands, she felt a certain unease about the pilgrimage that caused her to abandon it. Aelius didn't feel the same resentment this time, which may have been due to the fact this summoner had been a young girl of fourteen that often paused here and there during their travels to help various people as if no task was too insignificant. Rather than return home to Luca, he decided to press onward towards Mt. Gagazet by himself even though this was typically the end stage of a summoner's pilgrimage and not the beginning. His hope was that within the harsh climate of the Ronso, he would meet at least one summoner with enough determination to actually complete their pilgrimage quest and not give up so easily.

Personality: Aelius takes his job as a guardian very seriously and can be more than a little overprotective when it comes to the summoner he is traveling with. He tries to keep a happy exterior but really does not tolerate foolishness and tends to be very straight forward with people. He is pragmatic and while devoted towards the teachings of Yevon, he views the Al Bhed more as misguided and confused than the more common view points that they're heretics. He has a very high expectation level and can be demanding at times, insisting that everyone press onward for another hour or two before making a camp somewhere.

Although he is willing to give up his own life for both his summoner and Spira as a whole, he would be completely horrified and even devastated to learn the true fate really lies at the end of a summoner's journey. He remains just as blissfully unaware as the average person and has no idea that the summoner who completes the pilgrimage must chose a guardian to become the final aeon and that said guardian will eventually become the next sin as a direct result. Aelius is not someone who would willingly sacrifice himself for a temporary calm if it would also mean that he would become sin in the future and try to bring about Spira's destruction.

Azazeal849
06-24-2013, 10:26 PM
Very nice! I always enjoy reading about the inspiration and thought process behind a character at least as much as the character themself.

England
06-24-2013, 11:59 PM
Very nice! I always enjoy reading about the inspiration and thought process behind a character at least as much as the character themself.

Hi Azazeal849! You got to see all my typo-rific posts before I fixed them all a few minutes ago.... and now you know why Dr. Thorne has no character picture even though most of my others do.

England
06-25-2013, 12:25 AM
http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h452/SacheverellWhitby/rpa/phoenix_down/character-england.png

General Info:
* Roleplay - Mafia 2.0 [OOC (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44218) / IC (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44911)]
* Genre - Mafia
* Role Archetype - Variable

Inspiration: So... I'm not going to tell you what my role is with this game until after is completed. What? You didn't think I'd make it that easy. The funny thing about me using England from Axis Powers Hetalia to represent myself online is that it is one fandom I will never actually roleplay as I find the other fans a little strange. Let's make crackpot slash pairings based on which direction the wind is blowing thus causing flags to touch at the olympic games. I'm not kidding.

Since my real life self is actually female and I won't post my actual picture, here's picture containing lots of England (http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h452/SacheverellWhitby/rpa/phoenix_down/hetalia-england.jpg) for you. There's Bunny England, Pirate England, Fem England and at the bottom-left, normal default England.