PDA

View Full Version : [Dev] Magic 101

Tolvo
07-12-2013, 04:20 AM
Just a little thread for the discussion and clarification of magic and other such things. Such as enchantments, charms, illusions, summons, ethereals, effects of magic types, magic versus anti-magic, and such things.

Below is the copied elements that E1 has posted for RoW salvaged from the Chapter 4 OOC.

Prime Elements (Stable):
Fire, Water, Earth, Air

Bi-Elements (Unstable):
Lava (Fire + Earth)
Sand (Earth + Air)
Lightning (Fire + Air)
Ice (Water + Air)
Steam (Fire + Water)
Mud (Water + Earth)

Tri-Elements (Very Unstable & Hardly Used):
Pyroclasmic (Fire + Earth + Air)
Sandstorm (Earth + Air + Water)
Geyser (Fire + Air + Water)
Volcanic (Fire + Earth + Water)

The Primal Element (Dangerously Unstable):
Arcane (Air + Earth + Fire + Water)

Tolvo
07-12-2013, 04:24 AM
E1 when you get I was wondering if it would be possible to list the elements that are used by each of the factions for future reference for players, and units.

E1Alpha
07-12-2013, 02:25 PM
Alright, let's have a look:

Firanos:
-Fire
-Lava
-Pyroclasmic
-Volcanic
-Are also able to "control" any other fire conglomerates, but not conjure them (example: a fieran mage redirecting lightning in the Lake Ilnero Special Mission)

Leongarde:
-Metal (which would thus come down to Earth, only a more specified form of it)

Archeos:
-Divine Element: Light
-Wind

Disgeran:
-Divine Element: Shadow
-Fire

Aeregos:
-Wind
-Earth
-Lightning
-Steam
-Mud
-Sand

Scaravus:
-All elements

These can be changed slightly should it be required.

Tolvo
07-12-2013, 04:41 PM
Thank you that is very helpful. Though now I must ask, the thundering voices of Lionhearted and such. Where does that magic fall under? Wind?

E1Alpha
07-12-2013, 05:04 PM
Well... I'm not sure myself either, but yes, wind would sound the most appropriate

Leongarde is really a case set aside when it comes to magic.

Tolvo
07-12-2013, 05:20 PM
It almost seems Arcane in regards to their magic, but that would require all base elements and it would be highly unstable. Hmm. Although the roar could I suppose also be explained as it being a physical attribute of the lions, though that would bring into question how the Mouths of Ko'Rhas can knock away magic attacks. Hmm.

I've also been wondering about how terms like mage, sorcerer, witch, warlock, necromancer, magician, etc, are used in RoW. One unit I'm working on as an alternate for Scaravus that I've been setting up for a while, is called Saahir(Male) and Sahhaar(Female). These are the arabic words for sorcerer and witch. I was wondering if this is fine. They are going to be very rare and and offensive mages, but I wasn't sure if such names were acceptable. Mostly the use of Arabic words is to make it sound Scaravian, without it literally being that they speak arabic since whatever common is, is the language the people speak. But I was wondering about the terminology of magic users.

E1Alpha
07-12-2013, 07:22 PM
To me, the usage of those names is fine, aswell as the idea for those mages. And in regards to the Leongarde powers, it's really difficult to stick an element on something that has no true element. Ofcourse, perhaps Leongarde can utilise its own Divine element, much like Disgeran and Archeos. But what could it be called? And what could the base for it be?

Tolvo
07-13-2013, 02:44 AM
Hmm, resonance maybe?

E1Alpha
07-13-2013, 09:15 AM
Hmm.. That does sound like it could work..

Jacogos
07-15-2013, 02:25 AM
We could pull the Skyrim card and call it the Way of the Voice XD

I apologize for that in advance. In an effort to make it sound important, it could be called 'Hyperresonance' magic.

E1Alpha
07-15-2013, 05:16 AM
*slaps Jacogos for going down the Skyrim road* No. Just. No.

And I think Hyperresonance would be a bit overdoing it. I think Resonance will be our new Divine Element.

Jacogos
07-15-2013, 05:19 AM
Awww, but Skyrim...

Anywho, I can roll with that.

Now something we've only touched on before: are we ever going to set a defined style of magic-use, or will we continue to allow those such as Dez and Verm to have different magical styles in addition to their elemental differences?

E1Alpha
07-15-2013, 05:24 AM
I'm not sure on that. I prefer to be able to allow some creative freedom in how characters employ their magic, but perhaps some guidelines should be put up for that for the sake of balancing.

Tolvo
07-15-2013, 06:02 AM
I think we should only set up clear definitions if we feel people are abusing the system definitely. It is why I was putting a limit on Davrin, since such a character definitely abuses the magic system.