PDA

View Full Version : Cartel's Guide to the Extreme Basics of RPing

CartelSaide
08-29-2013, 09:14 PM
Please do not reply directly to this thread until I finish my guide. Thank you very much!

Are you an RPA newbie that doesn't know where to start? Are you not only new to RPA, but role-playing as a whole? Don't know the terminology, etiquette, or how to role-play in general? Or are you a veteran RPer looking to expand your horizons, learn more about your hobby, and/or refresh yourself on some of the basics? Well then this is the guide for you - Cartel's Guide to the Extreme Basics of RPing! This is mostly related to RPA's system and not considered a complete guide for other RPing formats, though it can certainly be useful.

This guide will teach you everything you need to know to work your way towards becoming a pro role-player in no time; from what role-playing even is to how to start (and finish!) your own role-play on RPA or anywhere else, this guide is the guide for you!

In order to appeal to a wider range of readers, this guide assumes you're are completely new to not just RPA, but role-playing as a whole.

----------
CHAPTER ONE: So I'm new here...
----------

So you've just joined RPA and you're confused about, well, pretty much everything. You've looked over the rules (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1&p=1&viewfull=1#post1) and even introduced yourself (http://role-player.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5), but everything else seems intimidating and you might even feel embarrassed about some of the questions you have as a newbie.

First of all, don't be embarrassed. RPA is a good place filled with good people, and many like myself would even consider RPA a second home. Staff or not, we're pretty much all friendly, and happy to help; you need only ask~

-wub-

If you haven't already, you should probably look at the Advice, Resources, Help, FAQ's thread (http://role-player.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4) to see if it has an answer to your question before asking. If not, this (http://role-player.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=76) is the perfect place to ask!

Last, but not least, before getting to the actual guide, this guide is but second best to Auki's Guide to RPA (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22553). Her guide is formatted and written extremely well, and has pretty much all you need to know about this website; it certainly helped me tons when I first joined. The only thing my guide has that hers doesn't is that it talks about RPing as a whole with minor focus on RPA, and as such can potentially be used as a guide for other role-play functions as well. Mine can guide you through the entire world of role-playing, but hers can be used as a literal map and guide of the RPA website itself if you want more of a strict focus.

Now, without further adieu, let's finally get to the guide!

DISCLAIMER: This will not be a guide to RPA specifically, but a guide to RPing based around RPA's standards, just in case there was any confusion. Also worthy of note, I will link to a few places here and there that I think help as well. Unless stated otherwise, links will always be on-site.

----------

NEWS
This section will be removed upon the completion of my RP Guide and replaced with a Table of Contents

1/9/15: Updated posts to say "chapter" instead of "step" and updated chapter 4 with a new section "Don't Die! How to Create a RP Set Up for Success"
January 1st, 2015: Added the news section and completed The History of Role-Playing section :D

My plan is to add character building help (linking to Housemaster's classroom as well~), links to the rules of RPA and stuff, and a step-by-step guide to both joining and creating a RP. I'd also like to add a "How to be a good GM" section somewhere. If you have something else you'd like me to add, let me know! For now, enjoy what's here :D

----------

Don't know the terminology? Here's a simple to follow, A-Z guide to the terminology of role-play!

~~~~~~

1X1 (One on One) - Also known as Private role-playing. It's a unique way for players to role-play in a smaller group. Versus the usual group roleplaying style that everyone is most familiar with. Also see Closed and Private.

Admin (Administrator) - The "manager" or person in charge of the group, blog, forum, etc. Click here to see a staff introduction thread (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10). Also see Mod (Moderator).

AU (Alternate Universe) - Specifically in reference to roleplays that are based off of an already existing story (parody/fanfiction RPs); The world that strays from the canon either slightly or entirely. Also see Canon.

Back-to-Back - when someone posts right after someone else replies; when you post, then someone else posts, then you post again. When in a larger role-play, this is not a suggested role-play technique.

Canon - The original source information (TV show, book, etc.) that the characters came from.

C/G (Clans/Guilds) - A world role-play that is separated into mini stories that take place in one universe. There is more then one GM in C/G; for more information about RPA's Clans/Guilds, please check here (http://role-player.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=91).

Closed - The thread/roleplay is closed off to outsiders and is only welcome to those that are mentioned and already involved; no longer open/no longer accepting more players. Also see Open.

Character - The fictional persona used in a role play (human, animal, machine, etc.) Also see Muse.

CS (Character Sheet) - A basic fill-in-the-blank sheet with details about a character. It's usually required to fill one out in order to join a role-play. Details oftentimes include, but aren't limited to, name, age, gender, appearance, personality, and bio/history.

DM (Dungeon Master) - An alternate name for GM commonly used in tabletop gaming. Also see GM (Game Master).

Erasure - An agreement OOC that an event never happened.

Ex - (OOC - So, its agreed. I never stuck a taco up your dog's butt.)

Fade To Black - Most often used within sexual scenes or whilst characters are sleeping overnight; where the players end/skip a scene (though sometimes it's not typed out flat [and the scene just switches], and other times it may be), and the scene picks back up after the skipped scene would have ended.

Fan Character - An original character created in a canon world. Also see Canon.

FFRP (Free Form Role-Playing) - the opposite of dice-based role-playing.

Fluff - 1. Fluff is when you add additional, though probably unnecessary, information in a post to make it longer/match a partner’s post length. 2. Fluff in romance roleplays/shipping is when there are scenes that probably do not progress the plot forward in any way, and are more or less there for the two characters to interact in a lovey-dovey manner/do cute, sweet things together.

Genre - A specific category of RPing (si-fi, western, etc).

GM (Game Master) - The person who's usually in charge of running the storyline and plot while players participate in the story. The person who created the role-play game is referred to as the role-play's GM. Anyone can start up a game and become a GM, and sometimes there are multiple GMs/sub-GMs referred to as co-GMs. Also see DM (Dungeon Master).

Godmodding - Making a character invincible, or nearly so, by means of insane force-fields, healing, etc. i A character whose abilities are limitless. Such characters have the ability to avoid all potential character-damaging, fatal attacks or any boon that should have happened to a character during role-play. Not good RP technique.

Headcanon - Something that the individual or fandom believes to be true in the story, show, etc. and it generally makes sense, but hasn't been officially confirmed by the creators of the media. More or less, a "personal" canon. Also see Canon.

IC (In character) - When you're speaking as your character. Sometimes used preceding a statement or description from a character's point of view. Here on RPA we have separate IC and OOC threads.

Ex - "Dang it! The dog went on the floor again" Mina spat. "Who forgot to walk him?" Use quotations when speaking IC

IRL (In Real Life) - When discussing the world outside of role-play or the internet in general.

LARP (Live Action Role Play) - Physically RPing with people in a group; ex. reenacting wars.

Mary Sue/Gary Stu — Used to describe a character that is often times "perfect" in every way, is capable of upstaging other characters no matter what, they can pick up on any task and master it in no time, etc. Not a good roleplaying technique. Also see Godmodding and Powerplaying.

Metagaming - A term to describe someone who uses knowledge gained out of character and not obtained in character or within the storyline. Not a good role-playing technique.

Mod (Moderator) - The "manager" or person in charge of the roleplay, group, blog, forum, etc. Usually (as is the case on RPA) the person just below the admin, volunteering to help out (for free) however the admins might need. Click here to see a staff introduction thread (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10). Also see Admin (Administrator).

Moniker - A nickname or alias, often used by the roleplayer.

Mun - The person behind the character. A.K.A the roleplayer. Also see Player.

Muse - Often referred to either the player’s character, or things that inspire the player. Also see Character.

MU/MUSH (Multi User Simulated Hallucination) - Often related to roleplayers of MMORPGS such as World of Warcraft.

NPC (Non-Player Character) - 1. A character that's not actually played by a particular person/shared by all the players in which is participating in the game but a particularly important character in the plot; disposable. 2. This is when the player controls the actions of a character that may not be tied to the story permanently, such as pedestrians, waiters, office workers, etc. These may also be side characters that are tied to the story, though only played and controlled by one player.

NSFW (Not Safe For Work) - Any material that would not be suitable outside of private viewing. Also see SFW.

OC (Original Character) - A character that is not related in any canon material/is not a Fan Character/completely made up by the player. Also see Character and Fan Character.

One Line - One sentence of post length. Used in Chat-based RPing.

OOC (Out of character) - When you're not speaking as your character. Mostly signified when you're speaking out of character in the middle of a role-playing. Sometimes used preceding a statement or description when breaking out of role-playing to ask a question or make a comment. Here on RPA, we have separate IC and OOC threads.

Ex - The air rushed out of Mina's lungs, leaving her stunned. She doubles over in pain... (OOC - I'll be right back, gotta walk the dog)

Open [Post/Thread/Roleplay] — This means that the post/thread/roleplay made is open for anyone to reply to so that a roleplay is started. Also see Closed.

PbP (Play by Post) - Also known as text based role-playing. This style of role-playing can be played in a numerous amount of ways. Different sites always seem to have different preferences, some use dice and others prefer free form.

PC (Player Character) - A character played by a person participating in the game.

PM (Private Message) - RPA has a private messaging system accessible through the control panel. Also see VM.

PnP (Pen and Paper) - Another way to describe Tabletop Role-playing.

Player/RPer (Role-player) - The person behind the keyboard doing the role playing.

PM (Private Message) - the messaging system specific to the website.

Powerplaying - Controlling another's character without permission. Even if your character has "mind control" powers, you should always ask the other person for permission to do it. Not good RP technique.

POV (Point of view) - When in role-play, you must use either 1st, 2nd or 3rd person point of view [1st = I, me, we] [2nd = you] [3rd person = she, he, they]. 3rd POV is mostly used because 2nd causes control issues (See powerplaying) and 1st is tricky to use sometimes.

Private - 1. A roleplay that takes place someplace private to only the players, such as PMs, e-mail, etc. 2. A roleplay only open to a very small, limited number of players. For example a 1x1 is a private roleplay. Also see Closed.

PSA (Public Service Announcement) - Generally used when making an important or should-be-wide-spread announcement for followers, groups, or people beyond those looking at your blog.

PvP (Player vs. Player) - Also known as a role-play battle. This is a unique version on "one on one" role-playing. Except the story usually revolves on two characters fighting toward a conclusion.

RECR (Recruitment/Recruiting) - A phase of getting people to "join" before an RP thread begins. RPA uses OOC sign up threads for recruitment purposes.

RFP (Removed For Privacy) — Used in roleplay applications. Players example audition posts which are removed once they're accepted/declined and in it’s place is RFP or Removed For Privacy.

RP (Role-play) - See Part Two:What is Role-Playing? (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47990&p=1697457&viewfull=1#post1697457) for a definition and details.

RPA (Role-Play Adventures) - the name of the website you're on right now!

RPG (Role-Play Game/Group) - Usually means game, but occasionally means group.

Self-insert - A character that resembles the Player/Mun via personality, looks etc. and is, generally, an exact reflection of the Player/Mun.

Semi-Selective - When a roleplayer will sometimes be choosy with who they decide to roleplay with. Out of person A, B, and C, they may roleplay with B and C, but decide not to roleplay with A for whatever reason. Not an acceptable RP technique on RPA.

SFW (Safe for Work) - Safe viewing material. Also see NSFW.

Smut - The writing of erotica/18+ material. Not an acceptable RP technique on RPA.

Starter - The opening/beginning post of the roleplay. The very first post of the roleplay, to "start" it.

Table-Top RolePlaying - Roleplaying/storytelling with a group of people all playing different characters lead by a GM/DM of whom enforces the rules; ex. Dungeons and Dragons

Thread - The collection of posts and responses from the start or continuation of the roleplay. In a forum setting, it refers to a series of posts made under one particular post.

VM (Visitor Message) - On RPA, you can post comments, commonly known as visitor messages, on one another's profiles. These are public posts. If you're looking for something more private, see PM.

WIP (Work In Progress) - If a player puts the "WIP" or the words "in progress" at the end of a post, it simply means the post is incomplete and people shouldn't reply to their post directly as of yet. This is certainly not a suggested method of role-playing, but in the event it occurs, other players are expected to be polite about it.

CREDITS: Thank you to FuckYeahRoleplayAdvice on Tumblr (http://fuckyeahroleplayadvice.tumblr.com/RPTerms), user RP_101 on FurAffinity, as well as the staff of RPA [namely Anne Bonny] for this lovely Abbreviations Guide (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2282)!

----------

Think I should add something? Shoot me a PM with your advice!

Please do not reply directly to this thread until I finish my guide. Thank you very much!

CartelSaide
10-19-2013, 08:40 AM

----------
CHAPTER TWO: What is Role-Playing?
----------

The basic definition of role-playing [shorthand RPing] is:

(1) to assume the attitudes, actions, and discourse of (another), especially in a make-believe situation in an effort to understand a differing point of view or social interaction
(2) To assume or act out a particular role.
Sources = (1) Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/role-play) (2) The Free Dictionary (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/role-play)

Here is a detailed list that explains the many forms of RPs both for RP noobs interested in knowing more, and for those who have tasted what RPA has to offer and may want to expand their horizons.

~~~~~~

There are several types of RPs and ways to RP ranging from getting up and physically improving scenes with other people, to sitting down in front of your computer as you are now. All forms are extremely fun, but some people may prefer certain ways over others. Here's a low-down on the types of RPing that exist:

First and foremost, there are two basic forms of RPing that pretty much encompass all forms of RPs: Free form and dice. Free form RPing is when you freely form something limited only by your imagination and the rules you set for you own RP. Dice-based RPing is when you use dice to guide and randomize different things about and/or within the RP. RPA has a dice system for those interested in making dice-based RPs, but most RPs on RPA are free form.

One way you might have heard of before is Dungeons and Dragons/D&D, which is a very popular form of tabletop, dice-based role-play gaming. Most tabletop RP games work the same way: there's a Game Master/GM or Dungeon Master/DM who plays the part of the world and setting of the role-play. They create the setting and oversee the whole game, making sure all the players are following the rules of the world. For example, a DM might say, "You all begin your adventure in the town of Nihm." and give the details of the world to players; let's say a player with a warrior character says they fly over the city to get a better view, the DM would enforce the rules by saying, "You're not a mage and can't use the magic necessary to fly. You can't do that." Everyone else plays the part of their character, and occasionally roll dice to randomize outcomes, effectiveness of an action, and/or events. Sometimes people will create maps to place out on the table in front of them, and even figurines of their characters. The rule books are really more like massive guidebooks to help you get started playing the game while the actual rules of playing differ from group to group. While D&D is probably the most popular version, there are a multitude of different industries with different focuses; for example World of Darkness. Tabletop gaming is a great way to enjoy time with friends, and physically being a part of the telling of the story certainly works wonders on bringing it to life.

There's also LARPing, or Live Action Role Playing, in which one takes on a persona, perhaps even dressing similarly to their person, and gets with a large group of people to play a part in a fictional kingdom or go on a fictional quest. Most LARP groups play medieval games, but LARP settings and genres are just as wide-range as any other RP function. For example, there are many LARPing events that imitate zombie apocalypses, during Halloween time especially. If you're looking for something to get out and physically do, find a LARP group near you and join in for a day to see if it's for you - it's a thrilling experience. During local Renaissance Festivals, it's likely you may see posters advertising different LARPing events, and if it's not that time of year, Google is your friend, if you're not sure where to start.

To continue with the live-action theme, let's talk about cosplaying. Cosplaying, or costume-playing, is when someone dresses up as a character or person they love and take on the persona of that character while they dress that way. This form of RP is most often seen among anime-lovers or those who are into the Asian music industry, but the term is widespread and you could even call the people who work at Disney World who are dressed as Disney characters cosplayers! Similarly, if you've ever heard of furries, you've probably heard of fursuiting as well. This is when someone dresses in a costume of an anthropomorphic character of their own creation and takes on the persona of that anthro character. The community is full of artists and other extremely creative people, so creating the character, making/getting the fursuit, and actually fursuiting are all exciting processes in and of themselves! Kids tend to love the more mascot-y suits too, and the realistic suits make amazing theatrical tools and insane Halloween costumes. Cosplaying and fursuiting can be combined as well and result in super kooky and fun experiences, such as Pokemon- or Digimon-related RP.

Have you ever heard of MUD or MUCK role-playing? It's a very unique form of RP that is where pretty much the whole of RPG video games began. There are a multitude of different backronyms for both, but the first and original acronym is Multi-User Dungeon, and no matter what the word stands for, it all follows the same interface and basic system as each other. It has an extremely basic format and is strictly word-based, telling the player what's going on by describing it rather than showing the player through animated graphics. Here's a visual example of what a MUD game might look like (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/64/MUD1_screenshot.gif). Don't let the simple appearance fool you! These games are extremely complex with a lot of commands and possibilities to them that allow for a wider range of RP than you or I could imagine. MUD games work by describing your location, other players and NPC's in that location, and exits. You input commands such as pick up orb or attack dragon in reaction, and move through the world similarly, such as through a command like exit north, or in some cases just by entering the command north or simply n. They can easily have worlds bigger than Skyrim and Dwarf Fortress combined, and unlike games you're used to, have far more freedom to do as you please. They offer more opportunity than most immediately assume upon looking at the interface, and can make for a truly enticing experience as a gamer and role-player alike. I highly suggest you learn more about these systems before you decide whether or not it's for you.

Not to mention RPG and MMORPG video games! RPG stands for role-playing game, and MMORPG stands for massive multi-player online role-playing game. The genre of these games are pretty self-explanatory in my opinion, and the only other way I know to explain to those who still don't understand is through example so... Some popular RPGs you may have heard of are Baulder's Gate, Dragon Age, Tales of Symphonia, Fallout, Fable, Kingdom Hearts, and many more; here's a list of the Top 100 RPGs of all time (http://www.ign.com/top/rpgs). Some popular MMORPGs you may have heard of are World of Warcraft/WoW, Guild Wars, EVE, Star Wars: The Old Republic, and many more; here's a list of plenty of amazing MMORPGs (http://www.mmobomb.com/games/mmorpg) if you're interested in hearing more titles than the ones you've likely heard over and over.

Here on RPA, we do story-based RPing, which is written role-play in the form of a story. Two or more people get together, agree on a plot and a setting, everyone creates at least one character, and each player role-plays the part of their character(s) to tell the story. Everyone takes turns making different posts/writing different parts. Here's an example:

Alex and Avery want to role-play a high school story taking place in America during the 1980's. The plot is that they both want to prepare for the prom and get great dates. The genre of the RP is Romance.

ALEX POSTS:

Izzy sat all alone at the bus stop, thinking about how scared they felt about seeing Cary today, knowing how close of friends they had been for years and years. What if Cary rejected them? Would it ruin their friendship? There was only one way to find out. The school bus pulled up, and Izzy got on, going straight towards their regular seat towards the back beside Cary. "Cary," Izzy began, blushing lightly, "Will you go the prom with me?" Izzy paused to grab Cary's hand, "A-as more than friends, I mean..."
AVERY POSTS:

Cary was shocked to hear this, and blushed, but didn't pull their hands away. "I..." Cary began, feeling nervous as they too blushed. The bus started to move again and the teenager, too lost in thought, fell back into the seat, their hands falling out of Izzy's. They blushed even more, now feeling completely embarrassed. Cary looked back up at Izzy with big, blue eyes, feeling self-conscious. "Why would you want to go with me? I thought you liked that new kid..."

Things go back and forth like this until the story is over, every player contributing to the story through their characters. For more information on how RPA's play-by-post setup works, check out this guide (http://role-player.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23).

Similar to story-based RPing and also featured on RPA is chat-based RPing (http://role-player.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12). The only real difference between story-based and chat-based is how much one writes. Story-based RPs can have anything from a paragraph or two to several lengthily paragraphs of text per post, while chat-based RPs usually only have a few sentences at most. Sometimes in chat-based RPing, one might not even write a full sentence for their post!

Through the power of the interwebz, websites much like RPA have created their own interfaces and systems, and there are all sorts of variations on story-based RPing depending on the website you join. I categorize the different sorts of RPing sites three ways: Open RPing, Theme-based RPing, and World-based RPing. Open RPing sites are websites just like RPA that allow you to RP about pretty much anything and everything you can think of all on one website. It doesn't tie you down as much, and allows for several forms of RPs about several different things to all take place at the same time. You could join anything from a RP about your favorite holiday to a RP about your fan-character going to Hogwarts; from western to sci-fi in genre; from a plot about characters falling in love to nothing but a consistent battle that lasts forever (http://role-player.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=229). The possibilities are as endless as the rules of the website let them be.

Theme-based RP sites are websites that work very similarly to open RP sites with one slightly different detail...the RPs on them all follow a consistent, on-going theme. This could be as open as a Fantasy RP site or as specific as a wolf RP site, but each time you do have a fair amount of freedom to do what you want. The most common form of these websites are fandom-specific, really just narrowing in on their fandom and not much else.

Then there's World-Based RP sites... These sites are basically RPing sites that already have the setting set up for you. While you're free to RP what you want, it always takes place in a world the RPing website set up for you and every other user on the website to play in. Most of the time, these websites will even run under the assumption that your username is your character name, and your singular character is a member of the society in the fictional world you're RPing in, not giving you a chance to RP several characters in the world at a time, or requiring that you make multiple users in order to do so. Whichever way these websites work, the constant of them all is that you are interacting in a pre-made world as is everyone else on the website, and events of the world, characters within the world, and everything about the world is something your character as well as all other players' characters can react to and/or interact with. They are either daunting or exciting to most RPers based on the amount of information offered, but I like to think they work like MMORPGs, relatable to a massive-multi-player D&D game without the dice.

Speaking of RP sites, sometimes people RP on websites not originally meant for RPing! For example, have you ever gone onto a website such as YouTube or Tumblr and seen a username like "Yugi Moto," "The Doctor," or "Princess Celestia," and noticed that every comment that user makes is made while taking the persona of said character? Those people are role-players, playing the role of a fictional character. Sometimes people will do this with their own characters, but it's more often seen with popular characters from larger fandoms.

All forms of RPing have their perks and every single one is fun in its own way. All also have many different variations and specific ways to play that provide a cacophony of experiences to take part in. If you're a lover of story telling and/or suspect you may have been a bard in a past life, I highly suggest you try every form at least once...starting right here on RPA (http://role-player.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=77)!

This section doesn't cover any of the history involving the controversies that RPGs have created for the purpose of staying lighter and factually informative, but if you're interested in learning about them I encourage you to do so! You could start with the wikipedia article Dungeons and Dragons Controversies (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_%26_Dragons_controversies) as well as the Controversy section (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_role-playing_games#Controversy) of the article History of RPGs (cited below). Also, I don't include anything about the ludology of RPGs since this is about history not science, but again, I encourage you to learn if you're interested! Role-playing game theory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role-playing_game_theory) is a good wikipedia article to start at, and I also suggest looking into the Threefold Model (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threefold_Model). Remember that wikipedia is able to be edited by everyone, and not a solid source of information...but it's citations are which is why I suggest it as a good first step, but nothing more c: Happy reading!

The History of Role-Playing

People have always been storytellers, children have always taken part in games of pretend, so exactly when role-playing came to be is debatable, but there are some facts that everyone can agree upon about the history of role-playing games.

At first, this section seems a lot like a sequential list of RPGs upon RPGs, but be that as it may, keep in mind that RPGs have been a slow build up of one person's ideas to another person building off of those ideas, to another person taking away certain ideas and adding new ones, and so on and so forth.

So let's start with War Games, shall we? War games are games that stimulate a war in some way, shape, or form, and essentially boil down to role-playing a battle. There are several war games and games that stem from them (such as Chess and Go) but I'm only going to focus on a select few because they've been of great impact to the formation of modern RPGs of all forms.

Kriegspiel ("War Play/Game") was a war game developed in 1899 originally developed to train officers for the Prussian and German armies. It was one of the first games that introduced a dice system to be used to randomize certain events on the battlefield. The game was played on a grid-based "sand table" with different terrains and even a fog-of-war system. At first, Kriegspiel proved not terribly popular among the troops, but grew in popularity as the idea of a Game Master was thrown into the mix along with a few other minor changes, a form thus referred to as "Free" Kriegspiel as opposed to it's far more rule-heavy "Strict" Kriegspiel (this is all sounding awfully similar to RPGs, no?).

It wasn't until H.G. Wells came along in 1913 and wrote the book Little Wars, otherwise known as the War Gamers' Bible, that people were motivated to create war games much like and inspired by Kriegspiel commercially to go beyond the troops. Fast forward to 1953: The first war game to hit the shelves: Tactics. Tactics was simultaneously the first board played war game and the first commercially available war game, making its creator, Charles S. Roberts, the father of both. From there, war games were going full-throttle in the commercial world and reveled in popularity that was surprisingly wide-spread. The 60's and 70's eventually produced a following of several war gamers, one that grew more and more popular as time went on.

Then, on a fateful day in 1966, Tolkien's Lord of the Rings series swept through the world of war gamers and sparked a change in the community's interests. People stopped caring about camo and canons and guns when they had Orcs and magic and terrifying beasts at their disposal. The massive following for war games took a huge shift in the direction of fantasy, and several ideas about how to go about implimenting these systems were being thrown about left and right. Eventually this led to two extraordinarily dedicated war gamers to develop two amazing games; Chainmail by Gary Gygax (introduced a fantasy setting complete with rules for medieval warfare) and Blackmoor by Dave Arneson (introduced experience points, health points, levels, a turn-based system, dungeon crawls, etc.), whose powers later combined to form what is essentially the first recognized modern RPG: Dungeons and Dragons (D&D).

D&D was first published in 1974 by Tactical Studies Rules Inc. (TSR) and spawned a plethora of similar games... Tunnels and Trolls, Empire of the Petal Throne, Chivalry and Sorcery, RuneQuest, etc. Some sci-fi games even came onto the scene with Metamorphosis Alpha, Traveller, and Gamma World, horror stepping in with Call of Cthulhu, and the superhero sub-action genre was represented with Villains & Vigilantes. All of these games and more circled D&D, but still had nothing on the it, especially with the increased popularity D&D gained by releasing Advanced Dungeons and Dragons (AD&D), most notably the Dungeon Master's Guide published in 1979 as a part of the AD&D set which is still referred to today by several role-play gamers.

Then, like a viral video, RPGs went worldwide. Starting in France in 1983, D&D was the first ever translated RPG, and was followed in 1984 with the Japanese translation of Traveller, immediately followed by Japanese D&D translations in 1985. This vicious spread of translated pre-made RPGs, especially D&D, created a list of additional foreign RPGs too extensive to list here that were wide-spread across the world: France, Spain, Germany, Japan, Sweden, the UK, Finland, and Mexico most notably.

The most important new RPG, however, was Champions (1981) which brought in an entirely new system of RPing, the Hero System, where you used Character Points to "buy" different characteristics, skills, advantages, getting more points by accepting low characteristics, disadvantages, and so forth. It was a very new and exciting competing method as opposed to D&D's dice-based randomization as is very similar to the system many popular modern RPG's such as Skyrim and the Dragon Age series use today.

In 1979-1980 the games Akalabeth: World of Doom and Rogue stepped on the scene, introducing an entirely new genre of computer and video games, which for ease of understanding I will abbreviate with RPVG. RPVGs rose in popularity and attracted many more RPG fans than ever before because of the ease and speed of gameplay removing the need for a game master came with. Avalon (MUD) was published by Yehuda Simmons in 1989 introducing and even more interactive form of RPVG, the most interactive and player-driven to date. Ars Magica (1988) was the first RPVG to focus more on story line and character development than on combat. Inspired by this the RPVG Vampire: The Masquerade (1991) introduced the ever-growing Gothic subculture to the world or RPGs, which soon led to the creation of storytelling games like World of Darkness and live-action role-playing games (LARP).

RPGs got even more competitive when the card game Magic: the Gathering was published by Richard Garfield in 1993, and introduced an even wider audience to the world of RPing by introducing another new RPing genre of collectible/trading card games (TCG). More specifically, Magic: The Gathering had a following of 12 million people by 2011.

Going back to Skyrim, Bethesda Softworks released the first chapter in their The Elder Scrolls role-playing series in 1994 and has been followed by four more chapters, Skyrim being it's most celebrated not just for the company, but for the history of RPGs as a whole. It's been specifically considered "The best game of all time" by Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-04-eurogamers-games-of-the-generation-the-top-50), GameFAQ (http://www.ddjgames.com/top-100-games-of-all-time-according-to-gamefaqs-20-to-11/), Games Radar (http://www.gamesradar.com/best-games-ever/), Empire (http://www.empireonline.com/features/100greatestgames/), Edge (http://nintendoeverything.com/edge-ranks-the-ten-best-games-of-the-generation/), IGN (http://ign.com/top/games-of-a-generation), Metacritic (http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/all?view=condensed&sort=desc), and several fans. The Elder Scrolls series has been a game many people have looked to as a core baseline for RPVGs, and boy does it show. Many other classic games - The Legend of Zelda, Final Fantasy, and Pokemon to name a few - have had a similarly strong impact on the world of RPGs, but none have been nearly as big as The Elder Scrolls.

This is but the trunk and boughs of the history of RPGs. From here on out, however, There are just far too many branches and leaves to sift through and discuss to give you any sort of solid information. I suggest you look into them the best way you can: actually playing! Go out and see what seems the most fun to you, and learn hands-on!

So the rest, as they say, is history ♥

CREDITS:

Wikipedia (Little Wars (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Wars); Kriegspiel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kriegspiel_%28chess%29); History of RPGs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_role-playing_games#Chainmail_and_Blackmoor); Chainmail (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chainmail_(game)); Dungeons and Dragons (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_%26_Dragons); Hero System (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero_System); Role-Playing Video Games (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role-playing_video_game); Magic: The Gathering (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic:_The_Gathering); List of Video Games Considered the Best (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_considered_the_best))
RPG History (http://ptgptb.org/0001/history1.html)
A Critical History of Role-playing Games (http://www.darkshire.net/jhkim/rpg/theory/history/draft.html)
History of Role Playing Games (http://functionalnerds.com/2013/03/history-of-role-playing-games/)
A History of RPGs (http://www.denofgeek.us/games/12107/a-history-of-rpgs)

CartelSaide
10-19-2013, 11:31 AM

----------
CHAPTER THREE: How to be a good RPer
----------

RPing at it's core is storytelling, an experience that goes back to the days before we even developed languages to verbally portray stories with. Naturally it's going to be an experience you potentially make friends with as a result, since finding like-minded people who are into the same crazy fantastical things you are is quite an invigorating experience in and of itself!

So here a few tips from some folks who have been around the block a few times to help keep you safe, happy, and at the top of your game when you just click with a fellow player and want to step into a friendship beyond that of the storytelling within your RP.

As much as you might think you don't, you likely need a safety lesson in how to internet. So before we get started, I'm going to need your full legal name, your address, your PO box address if you have one, and your social security number.

If you answered "Um...a hell no." to that, YOU PASS! If you PMed or VMed me all that information...we need to have a little talk.

First of all, stranger danger. "But Cartel! You can't make friends if you don't talk to strangers! Mleh la mleh la mleh!" Shut up. I'm not telling you not to talk to people, I'm telling you to be careful about what you tell people. Not everyone you meet on the interwebznet is the best kind of person.

I won't make a crazy long rant about it, I don't wanna sound like your mom or something, but below is a short list of the sorts of things you should be careful about telling anyone, if you should tell anyone at all.

Your full name (usernames and/or first names are pretty much where you should leave it for a good, long while)
Your address or your general whereabouts (for example, the most specific I might get is in saying Colorado, USA but even that might be too specific)
Where you go to school, where you work, or any other information that could easily give away where you live
Your password (to anything and everything)
Your phone number (you should be very picky with who you give this to)
The full names of loved ones (personally I'm super careful and I use fake names)
Your banking information, credit card numbers, etc. (just never give it out)
Your social security number (just never give it out)
Anything you're uncomfortable telling someone or simply want to keep private c:

Here's a list of some of the many things you CAN tell people (if you want to):

Your gender identity (Actually I suggest you let people know this; I mean it'd be cool if we knew whether to refer to you as a dude or a chick or a dudechick or neither!)
Your favorite color, movie(s), food, etc.
The type of music you listen to
Your e-mail (debatable; it's only if you want to!)
How old you are (this can be debatable, and is mostly up to you. However if you're a minor, you should ask your parents...no I'm serious, legit ask your parents)
Where else they can find you/friend request you on the int3rn3tz (be careful about facebook friend requests; facebook and other sites similar to it can be very revealing of your personal info and shouldn't be given to just anyone)
Your hobbies
What you're studying at school/college
What you do at your job
And much much more! Personal information doesn't have to be the only conversation starter :D

When you're in doubt, just stay on the safe side and don't say anything at all. And don't feel like you're going to offend someone by telling them "I'd prefer to keep that private." The only kinds of people that will throw a fit over you keeping something to yourself are the exact types of people you want to stay away from.

If you ever plan to meet with someone you've met online, do a little bit of searching online (just googling their name can go a long way) to make sure that it seems like they are who they say they are. ALWAYS meet in a public place, bringing a parent or friend with you, and never ever leave without telling someone where you're going and when you plan to be back. Even if this seems like it's overly paranoid, or like it goes without saying, trust me when I say it's much better to be safer than sorry.

While you're checking out safety tips, definitely, check out Ladie Luck's Safety guide here (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15719), complete with ponies~

Am I forgetting something important? Feel free to PM or VM me to suggest something and I'll add it!

Regardless of whether you're an RP veteran just chatting it up Downtown (http://role-player.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17), you're preparing to join your first RP, or you're running and/or a part of a bunch, there are always some good things to keep in mind so that you don't come across like a jerk to your fellow RPers.

The golden rule: treat others as you'd like to be treated! This is probably the number one rule you want to follow when RPing, on RPA or otherwise. It's so important that it goes with many, if not all, of the other etiquette rules/suggestions below.

~
Be aware of the separation between real life and the RP. There are many things that go with this, but the most important one is being aware and respectful of the fact that real life comes before the RP.

~
How someone's character feels about your own doesn't always reflect how someone actually feels about you. At the same time, though, don't think that a character's feelings can't reflect how the player feels about you either. Be sure to separate the characters from the real people in general; the characters, while not real, have their own personalities and should be essentially considered different people.

~
Stolen from Sik's Etiquette guide (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8329)... Most notably when taking on a persona, keep in mind the K.I.S.S Method: Keep It Simple Sparky. Not everybody knows what character you're playing or recognizes that you are even playing the part of a character outside of an RP (on RPA especially; this isn't tumblr after all). So keep it simple, sparky :3

~
A good rule of thumb when RPing with a group of people is to let at least two people post before you. Of course sometimes you'll need to post back-to-back but for the most part, try to avoid it, just to allow everyone an equal opportunity to mold the RP to their vision and make a fun experience for everyone, not just you and a select one or two.

~
Nosy Normans are annoying, and nobody wants one hanging around. If someone says they'd rather keep something to themselves, mind your own business and avoid taking it personally. If someone wants to keep something private, bugging them about it is only going to make them less likely to tell you.

~
People like Negative Nelly's just as much as they like Nosy Normans. So chin up, and if you're having a bad day, don't make it seem like the end of the world. You can talk to somebody or ask for advice from your RP buddies, sure, but making it the end-all-be-all of your entire world and brooding over it so much you can't function is not only unhealthy for you, but can rub your fellow players the wrong way. Also, it's ok to take a break from the RP world if you need to.

~
Don't hate on someone just because they have more/less RPing experience than you, or prefer to RP a certain way. 'nuff said.

~
Some people like short, quick, and too the point chat-based RPing (http://role-player.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12), others like a richer more advanced/intermediate RP experience with crazy long posts, and these two types of RPers have a tendency to clash. Whether you're one, the other, or in between, it's not cool to be mean to someone just because they don't RP "your way." If you have a problem with how someone RPs, either compromise, deal with it, or drop out. Cruelty solves nothing.

~
It's highly suggested that you make a real effort to make your posts readable. Everyone understands the occasional mistake or two, but posts riddled with typos, poor grammar, and other such things that hinder a readers ability to...well, read, are no fun for anyone. It doesn't take too long to re-read what you just wrote and make sure it makes sense, and everyone you RP with will appreciate it, I assure you.

~
On that note, keep in mind that not everyone on RPA speaks English as a first language, and even if that wasn't true, it doesn't make it ok to hurt someone's feelings over a simple mistake. If someone makes a mistake (or a multitude thereof), just correct them politely and go about your day. And if someone corrects you, don't take it personally; they're trying to help you out.

~
Look, lame as it sounds, haters gun' hate. So, first off, don't start drama, and secondly, when the inevitable drama rears its ugly head, just let it go (this means don't hold grudges, a'ight peeps?), and don't let drama ruin your RPing experience. Avoid getting angry over stupid things and avoid people who get angry over stupid things. If you just can't avoid it and/or it's important that you work it out, bring your drama to PM's, e-mails - simply somewhere private. And if it's just turning into back and forth hate mail, nobody reasonable will fault you for calling in a member of the staff to help settle things.

~
Lovebirds, please don't flaunt your lovey-dovey-ness as loudly as the wedding bells in your head seem to be ringing. It's ok to make it known that you're taken or that another RPer is your shmoopydoo, but for the love of everyone single, do not make the RP about you and your super-sweetie-pretty-kitty. Consistent flirting makes everyone else uncomfortable, and letting your cutie-patootie-pumpkin-pie take over your every living, breathing second is unheathy anyway. Obsession isn't adorable, it's creepy.

~
DON'T PLAY GM. DON'T PLAY MOD. DON'T PLAY ADMIN. JUST DON'T DO IT. If you aren't the GM/a mod/an admin, don't pretend you are by being a total dick...tator where you have no power. It makes you out to seem like a total @*#$%^& and can potentially get you banned (RPA or no) faster than you can say cheese-fries.

~
Everything has a place; help keep organized. Whether you're on RPA or another RPing website, there's always a clear form of organization that everyone likes to stick to. Do your best to create threads in the proper sections, and to ask a staff member to help you move your thread if you think it belongs elsewhere.

~
Behind the screen is another human being. Remember that. Cyber-bullying is a thing we'd ALL like to avoid, so stop before you start, ah?

Now that you've read my list, check out Siks' Etiquette guide here (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8329) and Anne Bonny's Etiquette guide here (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2) (trying to work out the linking issue)! Siks has been a user for a crazy long time now and really knows the ins and outs of RPA; his advice goes a long way, trust me, and he mentions some things I neglected to. And Anne Bonny is a wonderful, long-time staff member who truly knows what she's saying when it comes to RPA; you should listen.

Think I should add something? Let me know through either PM or VM and I'll see what I can do about adding it!

CartelSaide
10-19-2013, 11:51 AM

----------
CHAPTER FOUR: How to RP
----------

I could write dozens upon dozens of guides about getting started with different forms of RP, but seeing as you're on RPA - a mainly story-based RPing website - I'm going to assume that you've narrowed down your decision at least that far. Also, while this part of the guide can still be used for most other RP websites similar to RPA, be sure to check guides specific to each website before assuming it's my way or the high way :3

Alright there, hold on cow-poke. I know you're ready and rearin' to go, but there's still a little bit you've gotta do to prepare yourself. Before you do anything, you have to answer this question for yourself:

Do I want to join an existing RP, or create my own?

Both ideas are pretty great, but 9/10 times I suggest that you join someone else's RP before you create your very own, typically shooting for something with a small but welcoming group of players, maybe between 3-5. That 1/10 exception is in the case of 1x1 RPs with other RPers who can show you the ropes as you play. Those are the two places that newbies thrive best in.

On another note, you might be eager to get into a bunch of different RPs once you see just how many great ideas people have for them, but don't get carried away. Asking to join a RP means that you're willing to put the time and effort forth to keep the RP moving, and juggling 20 different RPs at a time may be fun at first, but can get rather difficult and stressful over time! Start with just one or two, get a feel for how RPs work and what sort of time and effort you'll need to keep a RP going, and then you can decide if you wanna join a billion more :3

Lastly, keep in mind that not all RPs get finished. Sometimes they die off, sometimes they go quite a long time without activity and just get restarted altogether, other times they barely even begin. Sometimes it's the idea that was poor, and sometimes it was just the people playing didn't/couldn't put the time and energy forth necessary to make it happen, but don't let that get you down. Many RPs do finish as well! Just keep in mind that this is a hobby, not a job, so don't hold it against someone if your and their RP goes unfinished. Just mention it to them, or maybe start it over with someone else!

INCOMPLETE.

Looking around RPA alone can be a bit daunting when trying to choose an RP to join, let alone the multitude of other RPing websites out there, but it's certainly far more exciting than it is scary. To pick an RP, just start by thinking to yourself what sorts of things interest you and what you think you'd enjoy writing a story about if it was just you. Once you've got a basic idea in your head, look around! There's plenty of sections from Fantasy (http://role-player.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9) to Fan Fiction (http://role-player.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38) to dig around in and see if there's an RP that catches your eye! Worried you'll find a really good RP but won't be accepted? Well that's what the Recruitment and Chat section (http://role-player.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6) is for!

INCOMPLETE

Links that will be featured that will provided similar information to what will be provided here:
Joining a Roleplay (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2280)
How to Recruit for a Roleplay (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2290)

Coming Soon~

Links that will be featured that will provide similar information to what will be provided here:
Creating a Roleplay (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2281)
The GM's Word is Law! (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4)

Preventing RP Death Before You Even Begin RPing
This post inspired by this helpful thread: Why do roleplays die? (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=68459&p=2330054&viewfull=1#post2330054)

Some RPs die - that's just the way it goes, and sometimes there's nothing that can really be done. If I'm being honest, however, most RPs that I see at the chopping block were easily preventable right from the get-go. So if you're looking to start a RP, join one that's bound for success, or at least see if there's anything you can do to make your dying RP salvageable, then this is the guide for you!

-------------
The GM & the Player
-------------

First of all, let's establish what a GM's job is and what a Player's job is.

A GM is the leader of the RP. As a GM, it is your job to keep your RP fun and full of activity; to do this, you must plan and execute key plot points in the RP and be the main contribution to the setting and main story line of your RP. You are the figurative heart of the RP, and you have to pump blood to your players so they can do their job. What this means is that whether you've plotted out all the major plans you have for your RP from start to finish before setting it up or you're just winging it, you actually implement your ideas and further progress the story for your fellow players. If things slow down, introduce something to kick-start things before they get irreparably slow. If you're having issues bringing characters together, host some form of event that forces that to happen. Play with subplots, but don't forget the main plot, world-build, have your character interact with everybody and keep everything on track. Be the leader this RP needs, and don't expect that from your players. In other words, if you stop working, the RP dies.

Players, just because the GM is the leader doesn't mean that you are simply followers. No, you're far more important than that, you're the veins of the RP. You are everywhere, and while you still follow the mold your GM's RP "body" has, you can weave your way through it whichever ways and however you see best. Your characters need to keep that flow of blood consistent, however, and it is your responsibility not to create any clogs and to keep the rest of the RP "body" functioning. Don't let subplots with your characters encompass the RP, follow the GM's lead, but still offer your ideas and speak your mind, responding with your character as your character actually would. Keep the blood flowing, or the RP dies.

Most importantly, don't forget that without one another, the RP dies. A heart needs blood to pump or it's useless, and without a heart to pump the blood, the blood goes no where. Teamwork is key.

-------------
Dedication is Respectful
-------------

RPs are slow business. One good look in any of RPA's Halls of Fame and you'll see that there is a lot of hard work, effort, and time put into each and every RP that made it there. Some RPs are shorter than others, but they can take weeks, months, sometimes even years to complete. If you aren't interested in this RP making it to the very end regardless of how long it takes to get there, or don't think you will be in the time to come, then simply don't join.

-------------
Player Priorities
-------------

As a general rule, if I wouldn't want to read it, I don't want to write it. There we go - that covers the basics of the RP itself, so let's move onto your fellow players, shall we?

Everybody has a "type" of RP buddy that they prefer, and that's perfectly alright. Whether your criteria is more or less strict isn't what matters, what matters is that you stick to it; this is the only time I don't think the advice "don't be afraid to get out of your comfort zone" is all that relevant. Too many times will a cluster of very diverse players join an RP thinking they're of like-mind and learn only a few posts in that their styles clash too hard to make for an enjoyable RPing experience.

Don't take my advice too far and start forming a clique of people to RP with while ignoring everyone else - you miss out on some really great possibilities this way. All I'm telling you is that you shouldn't be afraid to be a little picky about who you RP with. Think about your preferences in fellow players: Do you have major issues with typo ridden posts? Do all the rules seem fair and reasonable? Is the RP something you think you'll retain a reasonable level of interest in until it ends? Do you enjoy it when people write long posts, or do you prefer shorter? Can you handle being patient about replies, or do you need players who can reply ASAP? The best way for you to find out who your RPing "type" is is to ask yourself why and how you RP and find members whose interests and tendencies run parallel (or at least as close to parallel as possible) to your own.

If the GM and those who have been accepted into the RP follow the majority of your criteria, you should be just fine RPing with these people. However, if something is bothering you now, don't ignore it, because it likely won't be going away whilst RPing. If the bad outweighs the good for you in the joining of an RP, then speak your mind if it's something easily solved, or simply don't join.

Alternatively, if you're the GM, don't accept players that don't follow the criteria you've clearly laid out in your rules, and don't just assume that anyone who joins will automatically be of similar style either. If you want something from your players, make that clear from the very beginning; the rules section is very important for telling your players what sort of GM you are and what you'll be expecting of your players throughout the course of your RPing adventures. On that note, make it clear what sort of GM you are from the beginning too. If you're laid back, say so, and if you're a little on the stricter side then offer fair warning. If your GM style is to give your players a bit more freedom then mention it, and if you like to run and orderly and organized RP then speak up. If you're not sure how to put it without coming across like a pushover/hardass, the best way to say this without saying it bluntly is through your rules section:

Here's a list of some good things to keep in mind while building your rules section (or wherever else you find these mentionings appropriate). They're completely optional to include, but well worth consideration and oftentimes forgotten:

Grammar and Spelling - Are these things of particular importance to you, or are you able to let the occasional typo-ridden post slide?
Post Length - Do you prefer shorter or longer posts? Don't be afraid to get as specific as "min=1 paragraph; max=6 paragraphs" either.
Post Frequency - Do your players need to be online enough to post within a certain time frame, or are you patient enough to mold to their schedules? Again, don't be afraid to get as specific as "please be able to post at least once a week" and if you do require any level of frequency, be sure to add information about how to handle the situation if there are every any hiccups and your players temporarily can't follow your rule for any reason.
Randomization - Will you be using the power of randomization in your RP (ex. dice, random number generator) and if so, how does it work? Do the players need to rely on your randomized information or do they randomize their own?
Communication - How often do you plan to communicate with your players about the IC goings on, and do you mind your players being a bit chatty (even if it's not completely related to the RP) in the OOC?
Player Power Levels - How much are you expecting from your players in regards to their control of the plot and such of your RP? Are you relying a lot on the players to help you move along the main story line, or have you got a lot of the major plot twists etc. plotted out already?
Player Limit - Is your RP always accepting new players, or do you have a limited number of spots available? How many?
Combat - Do you run your combat in any particular way? Sometimes having a completely separate set of combat rules can be beneficial to the RP if it's reliant enough on battle to progress.
Death - Is it possible that characters can die (or otherwise be permanently removed from the RP)?
NPCs - Is the GM the major controller and creator of NPCs, or do the players have just as much control/power over NPCs as the GM?
Co-GM - If somebody else is helping you GM your RP, be sure to make it clear that they have just as much power to enforce the rules as you do.
Punishment - Should a player fail to follow the rules, what are the repercussions, and how patient/lenient are you about these rules being broken? Are there any rules you're less patient/lenient about than others?

This is certainly not a complete list, but these are some pretty core things. Feel free to let me know if there's anything you think are just as important to add!

-------------
Character Goals
-------------

Some people like to plan their entire RPs point by point, others like to just wing-it and see where the dice fall after their initial idea. Both methods are perfectly find as long as you don't let your methods kill your RP out of laziness and/or not being willing to be malleable with them. Whether you're the GM or a player, you're still working as a of a team, remember?

Players. Set a goal for your character personally that runs parallel to the goals the GM sets and/or of the RP itself, and keep that blood pumping - don't let that goal become dim, and set new goals if it does. Your work comes mostly during the actual RPing; Build a character that you know you can work with, and don't let their growth stop at a character sheet. Some advice I got from my old drama teacher that I think applies well here despite it's original application to acting: Think about the moment before. When you put your character into the RP, think about what they were doing right before they got to where you're RPing from. If you introduce your character sitting in a coffee shop and relaxing for example, think about how they might order their coffee, what made them choose the table they chose, what they were doing before they even got to the coffee shop, etc. This will help you build the scene much better and give you a clear idea of what the character is doing. No story starts at the beginning of the RP, but what happens before the story effects your character just as much as the story itself.

GMs. Your work starts more so at the basics: Be a little looser with your CS's, only outlining the extremely key points like name, age, gender, and appearance, or if possible, scrap the blank CS entirely (as long as it's clear that you expect one) and tell your players to put what they want other players to know, asking questions after they post it if you feel like you need anything else. Part of RPing is building up and getting to know your characters, and attempting to do that all in one big bombshell with an extremely full CS can stunt the creative juices some of your players have. Allowing them the option to create a less or more detailed character gives them the choice to use whichever method they prefer - planning before or as they go - and will allow them the opportunity to kick-start their creativity either by surprising you with a detailed, depth filled CS and back story, etc. or by surprising you with how detailed and depth filled their less intricately outlined characters become over the course of your RP.

A note on character sheets. Despite what veteran players may have you believe, a super detailed CS doesn't actually mean your character is a good one. Recycling my line about methods, some people like to plan their characters out point by point, others like to just wing-it and see where the dice fall after their initial idea. Again, both methods are find as long as laziness and/or your level of malleability doesn't kill your character's potential.

Players and GMs both. Growth does not end at the CS. Just like people, characters are constantly growing. Events are being thrown at them left and write (I'm so funny *rolls eyes*) which have an impact on how they feel, how they think, their morals, their decisions, and who they come out as at the end of the story. The most important thing that you have to have for your character is a goal. Without a goal, your character will have no motivational reason to keep up with the story, and as a direct result neither will you. Think about what your character wants, why they are sticking with the plot, what they expect. Just like people, these goals can change as they learn more and grow as well, but sometimes they don't. Either way, keep up with character growth, don't be afraid to let your characters change their minds and be independent thinkers, and let the world shape them just as much as they help shape the RP world.

CartelSaide
12-20-2013, 11:31 PM

----------
CHAPTER FIVE: How RPA is different from other RP sites
----------

Coming Soon~ Links that will be featured and similar information the info I'll be providing here in the future:
RPA's BBCode guide (http://role-player.net/forum/misc.php?do=bbcode)
New Member Restrictions (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12)
Roleplay Adventures Guidelines (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8)
How does the Reputation system work? (http://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30832)

~~~~~~~

These are kinda sorta notes to self, but don't worry! This space is here because it WILL be used :D

----------
Things I'm gonna add to different parts later somehow
----------

http://role-player.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=195
http://role-player.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=415