PDA

View Full Version : Trials

Lord Veneficus
07-04-2010, 04:33 AM
Trials of War

Chapter One

Arrows flew past my head, whizzing with the familiar twang I had heard so often while hunting in the wilderness. But the aura here was different. No peace… just chaos. A chaotic essence so pure it could not be grasped.

I was quickly removed from my daze by the sight of an incredibly large Eleronian man. He wore a bloody steel suit, riddled with dents and scrapes, and carried a silver battle axe the size of a toddler. The man came lumbering towards me, chopping my fellow Karili brethren to pieces, with a stare that burned with the intensity of a thousand suns.

I readied my bow and nocked an arrow, aiming for a vulnerable point in the joints of his armor. I had never killed a man before, only elk and canidera. The feeling that bombarded my body urged me to put my bow down and let that monstrous man decapitate me. But I knew Gahphynna wanted blood for the terrible things the Eleronians have done to my people. His soul will be mine, I could hear in my head.

He was nearing my position and I had no choice but to loose the arrow. It flew into the joint of his right arm, a sickening noise resonated as the arrow connected with flesh. The man staggered for a moment, seemingly unfazed by the arrow that was now protruding from his arm. But his eyes dimmed as he looked down at the nasty wound. He screamed then charged me, his battle axe hanging behind him. A wonderful mistake. His armpits were exposed to me now. I loosed an arrow, which pierced his chain mail and caused him to stop.

I took the chance and hung the bow from my shoulder, ripped the dagger from my boot and plunged it into the throat of the man’s upturned head. He gurgled, spitting blood from his mouth; weakly, he grabbed at my arm, slippery from his own blood, and then dropped to the crimson colored snow beneath us.

The scent of the blood filled my nostrils and awakened something inside me. I could feel something surging up through me. I vomited all over the frozen ground. It was too much for me to handle. I fell backwards, the sun fading from my sight.

I knew then that I was done with the war… and I closed my eyes.

Lord Veneficus
07-05-2010, 03:37 AM
Oh, and feel free to post in here. I like to hear from readers. :)